- Text Size +

It was too much. Between the exhaustion and hot, fetid air surrounding him, Richard couldn't hold out any longer. His eyes tried to fight against it, straining to maintain consciousness, but it was for naught. A deeper blackness than that encompassing his body wrapped his mind and dragged it into an abyss not unsimilar from the one his body remained in.

The hallway dragged on for miles to Miss Clements as she pulled the bickering girls behind her. They were not making it easy for the young teacher. The further she brought them, the more they resisted. The two were at each other's throats completely by the time the trio arrived in front of the principal's office.

"Enough!" The two girls paused, looking at the exasperated teacher. "Both of you, opposite sides of the hall now!" Heather opened her mouth, but the cold look she got told her everything. "I'm going to explain what I've heard to the principal. If either of you move, you'll both be suspended. Do I make myself clear?"

Both girls kept their heads down as Miss Clements walked into the office, sealing the door behind her. The second the latch clicked, Kristi looked over at Heather with the same grin on her face. "I wasn't lying, you know?" The air thickened between the two as the statement lingered. The playful light in Kristi's eyes glimmered while she stared at Heather, who had been as still as a statue since Miss Clement's outburst. "Aww, what's the matter? Has Richard's little guard dog lost her bark and bite?"

A single drop of blood splashed beside Heather's shoe, having fell from between the fingers of her clenched fist. This girl was infuriating her on a level she had never felt before in her entire life. Before Kristi could open her mouth again, Heather glared into her eyes, "I'm going to get my brother back."

"Might, honey," Kristi smiled even wider after finally getting a response, "I think you rattled him around too much in your little outburst. I haven't felt him wiggle since."

Heather was about to say something when Miss Clements opened the door, "Miss Wilkins, the principal would like to speak with you."

"'Kay!" Kristi stuck her tongue out at Heather as she walked into the office.

Miss Clements pushed her glasses up her nose and started rubbing her temples, "Please, tell me you've calmed down enough to actually explain what is going on."

Heather shifted nervously for a moment, " I just want my brother back, Missus...." The title hung for a second since Heather actually didn't know this teacher's name yet.

"Sorry," she shook her head in realization of the situation, "I'm Miss Clements, the senior anatomy teacher." She gently smiled at Heather to try to make the exchange more amicable. "What's your name?"

Heather seemed to relax a bit, "I'm Heather... Heather Ericson." Heather was finally looking Miss Clements in the eyes as she introduced herself which the teacher was grateful for. But confusion quickly shot across the teacher's face.

"I don't recall an Ericson on my class roster. What's his name?" Miss Clements regretted bring him up instantly when she saw Heather instantly tense up, her eyes now back on the floor.

"Ri.... Richard isn't an Ericson. His name is Cothmire." Heather's eyes stayed on the floor, only moving slightly to the sides. "His dad married my mom when I was really young."

Miss Clements' eyes shot open at the name, "Cothmire!?" She tried to pull back her reaction, coughing slightly into her hand, "I remember that name now. He was supposed to be in my current class. So Kristi really does have him...." Miss Clements was stricken with regret again, watching Heather wince at her observation. She tried to reel everything in, "How did you know what was going on with Richard if you aren't in his class?"

Heather reached over to her shoulder for Matt, but only just now realized his absence. She quickly patted herself down before remembering all that had happened since placing him there. "Oh no... Matt."

"Who's Matt?" Miss Clements rubbed at her temples again, getting aggravated at all she was having to take in.

Further down the hall, a portly boy, now heaving for breath and pouring sweat, rounded the corner. Matt saw Heather and breathed out a sigh of relief. He was thankful he had chosen the right direction to go, given how long it took him to get around. As he picked up his pace, he saw Kristi walk out of the principal's office. The look of rage on her face frightened poor Matt, but she thankfully stormed off in the other direction. Matt didn't know what all had transpired, but he was sure it wasn't good. He continued to run towards the women as Heather now walked into the office. Miss Clements had stayed behind, and he figured she was his best bet for safety.

Chapter End Notes:

Sorry for the long wait. Life is kicking me in the balls right now, but I shall perservere!