- Text Size +

“Aww, what a cute planet!” Claire said, the giant border collie's voice resonating through the very fabric of space as she fawned over that little blue sphere. Fitting neatly between two of her fingerpads, protected from them by an invisible barrier, it stood out brilliantly against the dark, star-speckled backdrop of the celestial vault.

“You'd look amazing as an adornment for a piece of jewelry! How about...” She raised the planet to her bosom, and as it floated above the entrance to her cleavage, a necklace materialized around it, from which it dangled as a pendant. “Pretty, but... not quite right. Maybe...” She disappeared the necklace and moved the planet atop an outstretched finger, where it became encrusted into a fine golden ring which appeared beneath it “That's not it either. Hmm...” She dismissed the ring and gripped the planet, rolling it between her fingers while she considered the possibilities.

“A-ha!” She bent over to place the little world atop one of her toes, where it became a jewel atop a toe ring. “There! You all look so precious down there!” As she floated in the void of space, she wiggled her toes around, admiring how well the little planet looked among them.

“Excuse me, young lady,” a voice rang out around her. Startled, Claire righted herself and turned around, suddenly finding herself floating, not in the void of space, but between the huge, heaving breasts of another collie, one much older than she. “Just what are you doing with that planet?”“Oh, shoot,”  Claire said, the planet once more floating free of the toe ring as her concentration faltered. “I mean... hi, mom! What brings you here to this little corner of the galaxy?” As she spoke, the young collie grew, coming very near to matching the size of her mother. The planet, a comparative speck, floated between them, framed by four breasts, each a dozen times bigger than its sun.

“It's only natural for a goddess to come when billions of her followers pray for her to protect them from some attacking monster. A better question is, what were you doing here in the mortal realm all by yourself?”“Who, me? I just thought I'd pop in and say hello to one of your planets. Then when I saw it, it just looked so pretty that I had to see how good it would look on me as a piece of jewelry. I was really careful, though! I never did any harm to the planet or its people. I don't know why they thought I was a monster.”“Oh? And after you arrived to 'say hello', did you ever bother to introduce yourself as my daughter to them?”

“Well... no.”

“Claire, you're a good girl,” her mother said, “but you need to learn to be more considerate of the feelings of mortals. This is precisely the reason why I forbid you from coming here without me.”“Aww, come on, mom. It's not like I hurt them or anything; I just gave them a bit of a scare. Besides, ever since you got promoted to take charge of this whole galaxy, you just never have time to bring me out here anymore. How am I supposed to get better at dealing with mortals if I can't even come into their realm anymore?”“I... suppose you're right. You've got a long way to go before you can win the trust of mortals, but you'll never learn how to do it if you don't get a chance to practice. And I could use a little help with all these worlds...” A thoughtful look came over her face. “Alright, here's how it will go. You can keep this planet for now. Take good care of it. If you can manage to make these mortals trust and worship you of their own free will, I suppose I can let you make unsupervised visits to the mortal realm.”“Really? Thanks, mom!” Claire said, hugging the goddess tight, the planet getting lost amidst her soft chest fur as their celestial bodies collided. “Oh! Would it be okay for me to keep it on me as a piece of jewelry?”Her mother sighed. “You can do whatever you want with it, as long as you don't bring any harm to its people. They're your responsibility now. Just remember that I will be checking in every so often to make sure you're taking proper care of them, understood?” Claire nodded. “Good.” She leaned in and planted a kiss on her daughter's head.

“Do I have to go back home now?” Claire asked.

“I guess it's alright if you stay out this once. Just don't mess with any other planets. And come home home in time for dinner! See you later, dear, and good luck!”

“Bye, mom!” Claire said as the goddess disappeared into the ether. Turned her attention to the planet, she reached up and plucked it out from her fur. “Hear that, little guys? I'll be working as your goddess-in-training from now on!” Almost immediately, curious messages popping into her mind, at first in a small trickle and then in a great flood that almost drowned out her own thoughts before she got a handle on it.

“Are you little guys all praying to me already? Gosh, that's so sweet of you! But... I'm hearing you guys call me 'great mother' a lot. Is that what you call my mom? I mean, that's fine if she likes it, but it makes me sound like an old woman—don't tell her I said that, by the way. Just think of me as your big sister Claire! Now, I know we had a bit of a rough start, but I'll make sure you all warm up to me in no time! Just you wait and see; I'll be the best goddess you ever had!”