- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

It's been a while since I've posted a new chapter.  I work a job that takes up a lot of my time and energy.  This chapter will have more character development, in this case between the Aoyama sisters.  Also building up to the deus ex machina which will tie this whole story together.

"This way," said Motoko as she led her older sister towards her room, "Hopefully things will be to your liking during your stay here."

"I'm sure everything will be fine, dear Motoko," responded Tsuruko with a smile, "I know that you try to keep things orderly most of the time."

‘She knows me too well sometimes,' thought Motoko in self-reflection.  The two of them really were sisters after all.

As the Aoyama girls settled into Motoko's room, Tsuruko took in the view all around her.  True to form, Motoko's room was very organized.  In a way, her accommodations were practically Spartan by some people's standards.  The room was more akin to what one might find in a soldiers barracks, particular one from the era when samurais were commonplace among the populace as opposed to nowadays in the modern world.

"You know, Motoko," said Tsuruko as she set her luggage down and began petting her cranes in affection, "you can spoil yourself from time to time."

"What do you mean, big sister?" asked Motoko in response.

"Perhaps add a television or a radio to your accommodations, maybe a poster on the wall here or there.  I mean, I notice the sword stand over there is a nice accessory, and the samurai gear in the far corner is admirable to behold.  I just mean...be more in-tune with the world as it is is all I'm saying."

"Weren't you the one who prided herself on embracing and honoring the old ways, dear sister?" asked Motoko with some confusion in her voice.

"I suppose I did back when we were younger, dear Motoko," said Tsuruko with some minor sadness in her voice, "I regret that I was at times a bit...rough, in your instruction.  Perhaps I should have lessened up a bit in your training regiment.  Maybe then you would have embraced things that young women are more into these days.  After all, most people aren't really that concerned with swordsmanship nowadays.  It's a lifestyle that appears rather antiquated and-"

"Please, don't apologize for how you instructed me, big sister!" interrupted Motoko, "You've only had my best of interests at heart when you trained me.  I don't begrudge you at all for your firmness during our time as student and teacher, nor would I want you to blame yourself for your teaching methods.  They might have been hard at times, but it helped me to grow as both a swordswoman and as a person in general.  So please, don't be hard on yourself for your tutelage.  I don't hate or detest you in the slightest for it."

Motoko's insistence to blunt her sister's minor self-loathing shocked Tsuruko briefly, and was then followed by minor tears forming at the edges of Tsuruko's eyes.  The older Aoyama woman was thankful and happy that her younger sibling didn't hate her for the harshness of her training regiment.  Even so, a part of Tsuruko couldn't help but feel at least partly responsible for her younger sister's disposition.  If she were more moderate, dare she say even more...nurturing...in her approach with Motoko, would her little sister be so guarded and direct in her disposition?  Would Motoko have become more easygoing and less reserved in the company of others?  Would she have been able to be more open with her affections and feelings, capable of showing tenderness with any potential love interests she met down the line, like that Keitaro fellow she became acquainted with?  The hypotheticals bombarded Tsuruko's mind as she dwelled on such things.

"Even so, Motoko," continued Tsuruko, "while I am glad that you don't hold a grudge over events from the past, I only hope that what I've instilled in you doesn't ruin your chances of finding companionship and love.  I wouldn't want your devotion to tradition to...sour things and turn others away from you as a result."

Motoko could tell what Tsuruko was implying with that last statement.
"Sister," said Motoko as she carefully pondered over her choice of words, "if you wish to talk about...that...it is alright.  I told the others only a general brief of what occurred, and I beseeched them not to bring it up with you upon your arrival, as I didn't want to bring any emotional discomfort from the get-go.  Now that we've some privacy to ourselves, if you want to talk about it, I am here for you."

Motoko's sincerity touched Tsuruko deeply.  While they had their differences, the two were sisters who only wanted the other to find as much happiness as possible.

"Thank you, dear Motoko," replied Tsuruko, "I suppose I might as well get it off my chest.  Dwelling upon it certainly won't do me any good."

"So," started Motoko, feeling a sense of awkwardness discussing her sister's recent divore, "what exactly happened?  You only told me that things between the two of you were on the decline and that you decided to finally end it."

Tsuruko pondered on how to best describe the events between her and her now ex-husband over the past few months.  After a minute or so of dwelling, the older Aoyama took a deep breath, then began.

"To put it as simply as I can," said Tsuruko, "we simply became incompatible with each other over time.  While I was smitten with him from the beginning and he with me, it seemed as though a myriad of small inconveniences and scuffles simply piled on top of one another.  The first few years were wonderful.  We were so in tune with one another and spent as much of our free time as possible in each other's company.  Then, during the last year of our marriage, things started to take a turn."

"How so?" asked Motoko.

"It was small things at first," explained Tsuruko, "Minor arguments over housework...things like dishes, laundry, paying this bill or that bill, maintaining the gardens, tidying up this room or that room.  While we had our differences here and there, there was still love between us.  I was hoping that in time, we could work things out."

"So...what happened next?" asked Motoko.

"Arguments over housework soon spilled over into other areas," said Tsuruko, "What started over housework then got compounded into what to do over weekends and vacation plans.   Things like ‘Where should we go out for dinner?' or ‘What do you want to watch tonight on the television?' turned into back-and-forth arguments.  While I tried to acquiesce and let him have his way at times, other times I simply had enough and held my ground.  When that happened, he would become rather furious and end up storming out of the room at times.  It felt as though he was only too happy to be free of me some nights."

"I'm...sorry that things ended up becoming that way," said Motoko with deep sadness in her voice.

"Please, don't apologize, Motoko," countered Tsuruko, "you are not responsible for what occurred between my ex-husband and I."

"Still," responded Motoko, "I can't help but feel bad for how things were spiraling out of control for you.  Perhaps if I paid more attention, I could have-"

"Motoko," said Tsuruko, cutting off her sister right then and there, "do not place any of this burden on your shoulders whatsoever.  You are not responsible in any way for the events between myself and my ex.  So I beseech you, please do not feel any guilt for whatever hypothetical intervention you think you could have staged to change things around, understand?"

"Yes, Tsuruko," responded Motoko after a moment's pause, "Please just know that I only wish I could have been of more help to you, given the circumstances."

"You are your own woman, Motoko," countered Tsuruko, "with your own life to live.  Given that I am your older sister, it falls onto me to handle the personal affairs in my life.  While I certainly appreciate your concern, little sister, I again must emphasize that what happened during my years of marriage was for me and my husb-...ex-husband to work out."

The sentiment each sister had for the other was quite something.  Motoko only wanted for Tsurukos' happiness in light of her divorce and felt the need to apologize in an act of penance for what she perceived as not doing enough to help.  In turn, Tsuruko wanted to shield Motoko from any guilt she might feel whatsoever for her own divorce, and thus snuffed out any chance for her younger sister to feel guilt or shame over the failed marriage that was for Tsuruko alone to own up to.

"So," said Motoko, continuing the conversation, "what happened afterwards?  Did you two try to see an expert?  Some type of psychologist or therapist to help resolve things?"

"As a matter of fact, we did try just that," said Tsuruko, "After perusing various specialists over a few weeks, we settled on a marriage counselor.  We sat in on several sessions over the span of a month and tried any suggestions he presented.  I was hopeful that we might have a ‘breakthrough moment' as they say, but it seemed that no matter what we tried, things never improved.  I tried my best to engage with my ex, but it seemed that no matter what we tried, we just couldn't get that chemistry from the start of our marriage to spring forward once more.  Over time, we ended up drifting farther apart from one another.  We rarely engaged in conversation for more than a few minutes, and our time in the bedroom was...nearly nonexistent, to put it gently."  By this point, Tsuruko had a crestfallen look upon her face.

"Did you..."ask Motoko, pausing for a moment before continuing, "Did you suspect him of having...an affair?"

"Honestly," said Tsuruko, "I do not know for certain.  I suspected that at times he might have been...unfaithful, but I didn't push him on that subject.  I can only hope that he was an honorable man when it came to that particular part of our union.  Because if I ever found out that he was unfaithful...I'm not sure what I would do."  Tsuruko's temperament was a mix of both sadness and anger.  The very idea that her former spouse would commit an act of infidelity on her would bring out the warrior within her.  Motoko figured that if Tsuruko confirmed it, then Tsuruko's ex-husband would end up being eviscerated and reduced to a pile of human gore.  If there was one thing that Tsuruko had little mercy for, it was deception and dishonesty.

"In any case," said Tsuruko regaining her composure, "after a month or so of unsuccessful therapy sessions and exercises, we decided to annul our marriage.  We didn't want to drag things out any further, as neither of us desired being in a union where we were both becoming increasingly miserable.  So, after a few weeks of legal arguments over who got possession of what, we finally ended our marriage and parted on the best of terms, or as good as we could make them."

"Have you kept in touch since then?" asked Motoko.

"No," answered Tsuruko, "He has gone his way just as I have gone my way.  I don't bear any animosity towards him, even now.  At the time when we first met, I was truly in love with him, and I like to think that he was in love with me, at least for a while.  But I believe that with time, we simply became incompatible with one another, primarily because of our lifestyles.  He was a shrewd businessman, whereas I was a devout sword practitioner.  He felt the need to be in command of the marriage, whereas I was too strong-willed to simply roll over to his wants and needs at a moment's notice.  He was of a more traditional mindset of being the ‘man of the house,' whereas I was too much of a warrior to submit to his wants within the household and subordinate myself to him.  Over time, our marriage became like two tidal waves crashing into one another - neither one of us was willing to bow to the other.  Perhaps we were both simply too proud to take the knee before the other...always that need to be the dominant one in the relationship."

Another momentary pause occurred between the sisters, before Motoko continued the conversation.

"Tsuruko," she said.

"Yes, Motoko?" replied Tsuruko.

"Would...would you like a hug?"

There was another long pause before Tsuruko's answer.

"Yes," Tsuruko practically whispered.

The Aoyama sisters embraced one another.  Tsuruko ended up burying her face into Motoko's bosom, quietly whimpering at having spilled the beans about the failed relationship between her and her ex-husband.  While Tsuruko maintained a strong exterior during her time explaining the details of her now-dead marriage, Motoko was cognizant enough to tell that her older sister was weeping on the inside from having to recall the downward spiral of her former relationship.  Perhaps it was simply because they were sisters, for the two of them seemed to pick up on each other's emotional state when in close proximity to one another.  All she was sure of at that moment was that Tsuruko needed someone to cry her heart out towards, and Motoko felt that she was the one to shoulder that task above all others.  During that time, the younger Aoyama sister embraced her older sibling tightly, rubbing her head gently and stroking her back as she embraced her sister, letting Tsuruko's grief and tears spill out into her chest and dampening her clothes.

"Please, Motoko," said Tsuruko upon regaining her composure and wiping the tears from her eyes after giving Motoko the rundown of her failed marriage, "don't let your devotion to the ways of the shinmei-ryu school of swordsmanship ruin any chance of finding love in your life.  I cannot help but feel that at least part of the reason my marriage ended the way it did was because my former husband simply couldn't embrace my lifestyle as a sword practitioner.  At first, he tolerated it, but over time I think that he simply couldn't see himself paired with a woman who was glued to the ‘old ways' as he would put it.  And whatever feelings and beliefs in our sword style I imparted unto you, I can only hope that they have not hardened you so much as to keep you from finding romance during your time in this world."

"Sister," said Motoko, "please do not do this to yourself.  Please do not shoulder yourself with this sense of blame for how you raised me, as both a sister and an instructor.  In my opinion, your ex-husband didn't deserve you in the end.  I can only hope that he refrained from committing an act of infidelity, otherwise I'm not sure what I would have done to him in response.  And as for the incompatibility that was forming between the two of you, I can only hope that you see that it simply was something that was fated to be, and that you did everything within your power to stop it from being so.  As for my love life, Tsuruko, you need not worry on that issue, for I am my own woman with my own choices to make...and I believe there is someone out there who I could find genuine happiness with, depending on how things turn out."  At the last part of this statement, Motoko ended up breaking eye contact and beginning to blush.

"Oh?" inquired Tsuruko, "It wouldn't happen to be a certain dormitory manager by chance, would it?"  The smirk on Tsuruko's face was all too evident as she finished her question, taking in the blush on Motoko's face with joyful delight.

"S-sister!" said Motoko with an increasingly redder hue on her cheeks as her blush intensified.
"Oh, come now, Motoko.  I know that you've had feelings for Mr. Urashima now for quite some time.  I had my suspicions after my first visit here.  While you were hiding behind the declaration of marriage to him, I could tell after the duels we had that your faux relationship with Mr. Urashima had in fact evolved into something quite genuine.  I am not sure as to whether he shares the same feelings you have for him, but I've known you long enough to realize when my little sister has fallen in love."  Tsuruko finished her analysis with a giggle.

"E-even so," said Motoko, not refuting a word Tsuruko had just said, "Keitaro is with Naru now.  The two have been an official couple ever since that episode involving Kanako and the old annex building.  I saw them kiss.  Naru confessed her love for him.  So...that makes whatever I feel for him a moot point.  And I wouldn't want to engage in an affair behind Naru's back...that's a rather dishonorable act in and of itself.  Besides..." Motoko trailed off in her explanation as she broke eye contact with Tsuruko once again.

"Besides what?" inquired Tsuruko.

"I've been a terrible person to Keitaro in the past."  The sadness in Motoko's voice was making itself apparent.
"How so?"

"I...I've...I've attacked him...physically."  Tears began forming in the corners of Motoko's eyes.

"I beg your pardon?" asked Tsuruko with a cocked eyebrow.

"When he first arrived at Hinata, I was highly mistrustful of Keitaro.  I thought him to be some kind of pervert with ulterior motives.  I acted on the assumption that he would try to take advantage of one or more of the girls here.  I was particularly concerned for the younger tenants like Shinobu or Su, feeling the need to look out for their well-being whenever Keitaro was near.  While he might occasionally fall over by accident and end up disrobing someone or catching someone in a moment of undress, I didn't stop to consider that such events were genuine accidents.  No...instead I acted on assumption and ended up using my sword to punish what I thought was genuinely lewd behavior.  The sword strikes I inflicted on him...what I did...would have been more severe on other men I am sure."  By this point, the tears were starting to run down Motoko's cheeks and drip from her face into her lap.

"Motoko," said Tsuruko, "did you ever unsheath your sword when you attacked Keitaro?"

"No, sister," responded Motoko, "I never felt the need to go so far as to bare my blade before him.  My sword was always sheathed when I...when I...hurt him."  Motoko was choking up in her explanation by this point.  Having to admit to her guilt for how she treated Keitaro was chewing her up deep inside, and she was doing everything she could to keep herself together emotionally.

"I...I wrongly harmed that wonderful man.  He...he never did anything malicious or with wicked intent at any time.  Never raised a hand with intent to strike out at any of us.  Never threatened anyone here with expulsion or by calling the authorities to file charges and have us arrested.  He has been something of a goofball at times, but beyond that, Keitaro has been too kind of a soul.  And the fact that I...that I...attacked him for misunderstandings, I...I..."  Motoko couldn't bring herself to finish her sentence as she buried her face in her hands and began sobbing heavily.  The tears were coming on hard now, as well as mucus running down her nose.  The normally stoic Aoyama girl was now crying like a child who had just witnessed her pet die in front of her.  It took everything in her power to not cry as loudly as a small child would.

With the tables turned at this point, Tsuruko switched things around and tightly embraced Motoko, not even bothering to ask if her sister wanted a hug.  The older sister simply held Motoko in her arms and let her cry her heart out for as long as need be.  Motoko responded by bringing her arms up to return the hug, her fingers digging somewhat into Tsuruko's back as she cried and wailed into her older sister's chest.

"I'm a terrible woman!" cried Motoko, her voice muffled into the fabric of Tsuruko's top, "I've hurt him with terrible injuries and he just brushed them off like they were nothing!  How could he forgive me!?  How can he keep smiling at me with that dopey grin on his face after what I put him through!?  I deserve punishment for what I did!  I WANT to be punished!  I don't deserve his compassion or mercy!"

"Motoko," said Tsuruko in a soft tone.

"Yes...sister?" replied Motoko once her crying had died down.

"What you did to Mr. Urashima is of grave seriousness.  I'm not going to sugarcoat it.  Under normal circumstances, Mr. Urashima could have suffered a far more serious injury from his encounters with your sword, even if it were sheathed.  The man might have been inflicted with permanent damage to some part of his body.  It's a minor miracle that he didn't have you expelled from the dorms or press assault charges against you.  If it's really as you say about his character, then Mr. Urashima has a saint-like degree of patience that would humble the most devout of monks.  He really does seem to be a wonderful person."

Upon finishing her statement, Tsuruko couldn't help but ponder something in a moment of self-reflection: ‘If he were just a few years older, or I a few years younger, or if I had simply met him before I met my ex, how different things could have been.  Perhaps, even now, could I...maybe I...?'  After some blushing in the cheeks, Tsuruko shook her head quickly to quiet down any thoughts of rekindling her love life.  She needed to be there for her little sister in a moment of emotional turbulence.

"If you wish to show penance for what you've done, Motoko, might I make a suggestion?"  continued Tsuruko.

"Please, whatever advice you have I would be more than willing to hear it." responded Motoko urgently.

"If you really wish to show Mr. Urashima that you are sorry for your past transgressions, simply apologize as one from our school would do so.  Prostrate yourself before him and beseech mercy and forgiveness from him.  Then, if you are truly committed to righting your wrongs, offer your services in any way you can to help Mr. Urashima in his daily tasks.  Help out with house chores more often.  Do small favors for him when the opportunity presents itself.  If he seems to be in a genuinely poor state emotionally, hear him out and offer whatever help you can to make him smile once more.  Do these kinds of things for him, and if you believe that he has genuinely forgiven you for what you did to him in the past, then consider the matter resolved."

There was a moment's pause between the sisters before Motoko's response.

"Okay."

"Okay?"

"Okay...I'll do just that.  I'll beg for forgiveness.  I'll help him whenever and wherever possible, for as long as he asks of me.  It's the least I can do for him.  Honestly, I wish he would yell at me or punish me in a more severe fashion.  Punishment I can take.  It's the kindness he shows that feels like a knife through the chest at times.  The fact that he cannot bring himself to inflict a punishment that would be more swift and brutal tears at my heart, even now."

"Consider the guilt you feel as your punishment, Motoko.  And perhaps take this as a learning experience in the grand scheme of things."

"What do you mean, big sister?"

"Perhaps this ordeal that occurred between Mr. Urashima and yourself will give you perspective.  Let it serve as a sort of fuel to keep the fire of regret burning within you, at least for a time.  The fact that you feel shame for your past transgressions gives me some degree of comfort, dear sister.  While I am certainly not happy to know of your assaults against Mr. Urashima, I am at least content to know that you have regrets for what you have done to him in the past.  It proves that you still have a conscience, Motoko, and that you wish to make recompense for what you have done.  That in and of itself shows me that you are not too far gone to amend the situation as it stands."

Another momentary pause as Motoko takes in everything Tsuruko had just told her.

"Thank you, sister," said Motoko, "It brings me some small comfort to know that I can make things right with Keitaro...and I will make things right by him.  Not just because of what I have done to him in the past, but because I've fallen in lo-"  By this point, Motoko cuts herself off, lest she confess the innermost yearnings of her heart.

Tsuruko can only smile at this response from her younger sister.  Even if Motoko had not uttered what she had just said, Tsuruko could easily deduce what Motoko's intentions were regarding Keitaro Urashima.  It was clear enough that her younger sister had fallen in love with the manager of Hinata House and was trying to make amends for all the times she had attacked the poor man, not just to show that she was truly sorry, but also in the hopes of winning Mr. Urashima's affections and see her as a lovely young maiden who had fallen madly in love with him over time.

"You need say no more on this topic, Motoko," said Tsuruko who was trying to calm her younger sister's nerves and lessen the blush which was still apparent and easy enough to spot on Motoko's face, "I believe I know enough of your intentions, and if it is possible, I will gladly assist whenever I am able to help you reconcile things with Mr. Urashima.  Like I said earlier, I cannot help but feel somewhat responsible for how you turned out with regards to both your attitude and your swordplay.  Therefore, I will help you amend things between you and the victim of your numerous episodes of assault, as both an instructor and as a sister."

"Oh, thank you, Sister, thank you!" declared Motoko as the two hugged once more in the firmest of embraces.

After drying their tears, the Aoyoma sisters decided to prepare themselves for the big group meet in the hot springs.  Motoko proceeded to help her sister with unpacking whatever belongings the elder Aoyama sister brought along with her.  In the midst of it all, Motoko could not help but notice that the two cranes Tsuruko had brought along with her were not within the room.

"Oh, don't mind them," answered Tsuruko, "Hayate and Shippo have a tendency to wander off now and then.  But don't concern yourself over it.  They are well-behaved enough.  Chances are they are just enjoying some ‘alone time' together."  The notion of two cranes getting intimate with each other brought yet another minor blush to Motoko's face, an act which Tsuruko could not help but chuckle at.

 


 

"Come on, we might as well catch up before this big ‘get-together' at the springs," hollered Sarah.  The girl couldn't help but find relief at being temporarily free of Haruka and Kanako for at least a little while.  She was certainly less than enthusiastic about rooming with either of the Urashima women, so the fact that she would end up being stuck with both of them felt like a sort of psychological overkill to her.  If only she didn't refer to Haruka as ‘auntie', then perhaps things would be very different.

Alongside Sarah were Shinobu, Mei, and Nyamo, walking alongside her down the halls of the dorms towards Kaolla's room.  Ever the one to take the initiative, Sarah decided to goad the other members of the younger girls' clique towards Kaolla's room and mingle with the Molmolian girl.  If her older sister happened to be in the room as well, then the girls would simply pick a different time to drop by.  While Amalla was certainly an interesting character in her own right, Sarah felt that she was too much of a wild card to engage in personal conversations with at this point.  Once the girls got to understand Amalla a little better, perhaps they could mingle with her more often without the fear of anything untoward or potentially ‘R-rated' occurring when in the presence of the older Su sister.

"Alright, Sarah," responded Shinobu, "we're coming, just please don't do anything hasty or reckless."  Shinobu was always the overly cautious one out of the bunch.  Such was her nature.  In her mind, she wasn't as adventurous as Kaolla or Sarah, nor as brave as Mei, nor as composed and calm as Nyamo.  She was simply the worrywart of the bunch, always being mindful of things which could potentially go wrong.

"Aw, come on, don't be such a stick in the mud, Shinobu," replied Sarah, "We're just going to stop by for a moment and check in on Su.  If her sister is there, we'll keep it polite and short.  I mean, she seems like a nice enough lady, if a little...well...frisky from what I make of her."

"She's certainly an interesting one, however you choose to label her, that's for sure," said Mei giving her own two cents on the topic.  Nyamo nodded in agreement.

Upon arriving at Kaolla's dorm, Sarah briefly rapped upon the door before making her presence known.

"Hey, Kaolla, you in there?  It's us!" hollered Sarah.  No response.

"Maybe she stepped out for a bit," said Su, "We should probably come back later."

"Hello?  Anybody home?" said Sarah as she knocked on the door once more.  Still no answer.

"Shinobu's probably right," said Mei, "We should just wait until she returns, or just talk to her when we're all in the hot springs."

Instead of responding to the others' commentary, Sarah simply opened the door and poked her head in.

"Sarah!" said Shinobu, "you know it's rude to enter another person's room without their permission."

"Aww come on," replied Sarah, "we'll just peruse around the place briefly.  If we happen to bump into Su or her big sister, we'll just say that we were worried about them when we heard no response.  They should buy that, right?"

"While it's a plausible excuse, I am in agreement with Shinobu," commented Mei, "It's still a violation of another's privacy to intrude upon their room without permission."  Sarah could not help but roll her eyes at Mei's rationale.

"Don't be such a spoilsport," said Sarah, "we're just being neighborly and checking up on our friend.  If she were unconscious or something serious, then she'd certainly be glad that we were there to check up on her now, wouldn't she?"  By this point, all four girls were within Kaolla's bedroom and making their way throughout it looking for the young Molmolian girl.

Kaolla's bedroom was certainly something to behold.  If anything, it had become more akin to a jungle than a traditional Japanese dorm-style bedroom.  There were a myriad of tropical palm trees throughout the bedroom, along with the occasional parrot, monkey, turtle, or insect venturing through the place.  It was as if the girls were really within a real-life jungle, much akin to their time on the Pararakelse Islands.  Nyamo herself felt right at home, if the blissful look on her face was any indicator.

After a minute or so of exploring Kaolla's room, the girls found no sign of the Molmolian girl or her sister.  At this point, Shinobu decided to voice her thoughts.

"Alright now, Kaolla is clearly not in her room right now.  We should get going before she returns, or else we're going to be in a rather awkward situation trying to explain ourselves as to why we are here."  Given how close Shinobu was with Kaolla, the last thing she wanted to do was betray her friend's trust.

However, given Sarah's inquisitive nature, she basically kept a deaf ear to Shinobu's suggestions.  It was at this point, she found her way towards a particular part of Kaolla's room - a workbench with various scientific instruments and objects.  Among them were numerous beakers, flasks, vials of different colored liquids, bowls and jars of powders, science books, exotic types of flora, lab notes, USB drives, laptops, and numerous other science-based items lying about.

"Whoa," muttered Sarah, " I knew that Su was something of a science nerd, but I didn't think that she was THIS into it."

"Kaolla's passion is generally science-based," responded Shinobu, "From what I've gathered, she generally focuses on robotics and computer science.  She's told me that she wishes to use what she's learned in those fields to help her country advance technologically.  Something about wanting the Kingdom of Molmol to become the most technologically advanced country on the planet if I recall."

"She wants her nation to surpass all other countries in the field of computers and robotics?" said Mei incredulously, "Even Japan or the United States?"

"I believe so, yes," responded Shinobu.

"You think other countries are going to just let that happen?" asked Sarah with great skepticism.

"If Kaolla is as much of a super genius as I think she is," responded Shinobu, "I think that the opinions of other nations would be something of a moot point.  In a few years, her dream may very well come true, and the Kingdom of Molmol could surpass all other nations in computational power, perhaps even all other nations combined."

"Wouldn't other countries see Molmol as a threat if that were to happen?" inquired Mei.

"Fortunately, Molmol has never shown expansionist desires over the last few decades," answered Shinobu, "Their foreign policy is something along the lines of ‘Leave us alone and we'll leave you alone,' from what Kaolla has told me in past conversations.  The Molmolians simply want to be left in peace, and if they have the kind of power I think they have, they could deal with any high-tech threat that comes their way at present."

"They're that powerful?" asked Sarah.

"If another country were to engage in some type of cyberattack on the Molmolians, or launch some kind of high-tech cruise missile at the kingdom," elaborated Shinobu, "the Molmolians have countermeasures in place to shoot down any projectile coming their way, and they have firewalls and cyberdefense systems that can obliterate any computer virus that a nation or a group of hackers would try to throw at them.  If anything, I would worry for the rest of the world if the Kingdom of Molmol or Su herself decided to get serious and wage cyberwarfare against another superpower."

"Su is...kinda scary, in a way," commented Nyamo on the capabilities of the Molmolian supergenius.  Shinobu nodded in agreement at this.

"Fortunately," continued Shinobu, "Kaolla doesn't have a malicious bone in her body, as far as I'm aware.  She's too much of an airhead at heart to want to dominate the planet or wage war with another country.  If she ever does want to engage in world domination, it would be largely behind-the-scenes and with a lot of benevolence to boot, given her nature."

"Well, while all that is certainly interesting and all," said Sarah, "why is Su working on stuff like this then?  This looks more along the lines of biology and chemistry from what I can tell."

"Maybe it's a sort of side project of hers?" commented Mei, "Something she engages in her free time when she's not busy with computers or robotics?"

"It's possible, I suppose," added Shinobu.

As the girls scanned the workbench and closely examined the numerous items lying about it, one of the girls spotted something that seemed to stand out over all the other items.

"Hmmm..." muttered Nyamo, her eyes fixated on one bottle in particular.

"What is it, Nyamo?" asked Mei as she and the others came closer to examine what caught the dark-skinned girl's attention.

What Nyamo was looking at was a bottle roughly the size of a 12 ounce can of soda.  It was corked properly, the liquid itself was clear like water, and on it was a label reading the following: ‘Experimental Growth Hormone Batch No. 3'

"Well, well, well," said Sarah as she stared with eyes like a hawk upon the bottle, "now this is certainly interesting."

Chapter End Notes:

That's all for now.  Not sure when I'll have time to post the next chapter.  Until then...