- Text Size +

Chapter 12: Edict

 

Alurel swam off and away towards the shiny underwater city of Atlantis. She wanted all seafolk to be in it, so on the way she flexed her powers to send a message throughout the deeps. No matter where any seafolk was, they’d hear her sweet and radiant voice.

 

“Hello, all seafolk please return to Atlantis. I have an announcement to make, and a very important one too.”

 

Whether they heeded the message was up to them.

 

It wasn’t long for her to reach the city, especially now with the power she held. She swam faster than she ever did before. Along the way, her massive body had bumped into a lone, normal-sized mermaid heeding her call. They were knocked aside by Alurel’s fast form so fast and with enough force that they perished from the impact.

 

Alurel hovered outside the front of the city, facing that great palace in the distance. Seafolk in that area noticed her wielding the Trident instead of King Poseidon. She floated just in front of the city, her light-purple hair flowed about her shoulders. She was glowing.


They had quite a few questions.

 

Alurel spoke, and in doing so willed her voice to carry throughout not just Atlantis, but throughout the very seas.

 

“People of Atlantis, people of the seas. I bear heavy news. Poseidon is dead.”

Gasps echoed across the city. Many wailed. Others unable to see her glowing form, Trident in hand, shouted ‘liar.’

 

She let that transgression slide.

 

“We were on a joint trip near the surface.”, she continued, her voice echoing through the waters. “There, humans allied with the sea-witches killed him. In his dying breath, he bequeathed me the Trident, and named me the new queen of the seas.”

Many doubted, but how could they deny the events? Her power was real. Those who saw her could see as much, and all of Atlantis could hear her even if on the other side of the city.

 

“Fear not, I have taken care of the sea-witches. I was such a worthy vessel for the Trident’s power, that its power now longer rests in it, but in me. What I hold now in my hands is nothing more than an ornament now, one cumbersome to hold, so I will transform it.”

Alurel focused on the Trident. It was golden, not water, but it was meant for the seafolk. It was meant for the sea. She found herself able to morph it. It was malleable to her will. She shrunk it, reshaped it. It became a golden tiara, with its three prongs still present and jutting upwards.


She put it on her head.

 

“I’ve transformed it into a tiara, a crown. Yes, the Trident Crown will serve as a symbol of my eternal reign. The three prongs will represent the potency of my will, my might, and my love. Do not be angry at the humans though, my seafolk, for Poseidon was not. He knew they were just uninformed. They need guidance, and unlike him I will offer it.”

 

The people gasped throughout the city some more. Some still doubted her, so she devised a way to show her power. She made currents and bubbles in the shape of her form, and speckled them throughout the city for all to see. They mimicked her gestures. It was a novelty, but one only someone with great power could do: someone who held the power of the Trident.


She held it all within her.

 

“I will spend the rest of the day exploring my new powers further. Then, tomorrow, I will unite the kingdoms of land and sea, and guide everyone into a better future~”

 

She smiled, the thought pleased her. Some people who could see her cheered, and she sensed clapping in the waters farther than her normal vision could see. It all seemed to be working out.

 

“I’m not sure what could happen though, but I will keep you all safe. Behold my power.”

Her last three words roared through the waters. With a wave of her hand, the entire city of Atlantis was encapsulated in a protective water-bubble. Those near the edge who were curious tried to push against it, but found themselves unable to pass through. Current gently nudged them back.

 

“This should keep you all safe no matter what happens. Currents may sift through it to keep the water moving and fresh, of course. Yes, water can pass through. In fact, any seafolk should be able to enter, but none will be able to leave till I will the bubble gone.”

Alurel started floating upwards. She spread out her arms.

 

“Trust in your new queen everyone. Tomorrow will be a very, very important day.”

 

‘Yet another, wonderful and important day.’, thought Alurel.

 

‘Very soon.’

 

She smiled, dissolved those current magical-water-based mimics of her body in the city, then swam away. She swam to a deep and empty part of the ocean.

 

There, she practiced her powers. She explored what they offered, and what she could really do. When done with that, she rested.

 

Tomorrow was a very important day for her, after all.