- Text Size +

Having trampled miles across the concrete sidewalk, holding her black umbrella and comically oversized back pack, before she arrived at the white wooden door. Someone else might have ringed the doorbell or knocked, but  she had no choice but type to her employeer she was standing outside. She didn't have to wait much before hearing increasingly louder sounds from behind the door.


It didn't faze her, it wasn't anything new. It was just the sound of someone bigger walking towards her direction. And just as the loudest boom almost made her lose balance, a new sound high above indicated the door was being unlocked. The wooden structure moved inwards and revealed the perpetrator behind the noise.


A black haired man, either late thirties or early forties, wearing a white shirt beneath his cheap gray suit. His hazel eyes focusing on her petite figure. He fidged with his glasses as his lips formed a smile. "Bianca, right?" His tone was friendly, a welcomed change for once. Likewise, she replied with a smile.   "Yes. Mister Davis-"  Was all she got to say before he interruped, shaking his head left and right. "No, No, Richard is just fine." He stepped aside, each foot causing thunderous sounds as he did so.


Bianca closed her white umbrella and began to enter the house. "It isn't big but- well..." He winced at his own choices of words, not that Bianca payed much attention, continuing to walk onwards. "Well...I suppose it's big and cozy!" He joked and Bianca faked a smile. Perhaps if she didn't need this job that bad, she would be in a more pleasant mood.


Once she walked far enough, Richard moved so he was the one standing on the doorway. "The funds have already been transfered for today so don't force yourself to do extra. I just really need the kitchen counter to be cleaned and, if you have time, maybe clean a cup or two."


Not any new information to her. This was all explained when she joined the Micro Labor Union a few days ago. Not a normal Union, but one that any Micro had to join to partake in legal work with Humans. Allowing work integration between Humans and Micros came with laws that were long debated and only settled on recently.


Human employeers expressed their fears on Micro's fragile bodies and how much they'd have to pay for each workplace injury. So, the most important rule from the Micro Labor Union was that injuries were unfortunate, of course, but not the Human's fault unless the act was intentional. Every Micro was expected to know the dangers and sign a paper saying they, or their family, weren't legible for a lawsuit if they were injuried...or died.


On the other side, since Micros were prepared to work despite knowing the danger, they had to be paid in full for their jobs before even doing them. Not that their wages came close to a Human's.


"Well, I have to leave for work. So make yourself home." He said, about to close the door before remembering something. "Oh!" He exclaimed, looking back at her. "Alex- em, my son, might show up at one point. Don't mind him and feel free to ignore him. I already told him you'd be coming so there won't be any problems." And with one wave of goodbye, he closed the door behind him.


"Right..." Bianca said, looking around the house. The door leaded straight into the living room. A huge, blue couch stood not too far from her, but the television would take a few minutes of walking to reach. She could also see three doors further, but her assigment was much closer. Turning left, she noticed the doorway to the kitchen. No door, just like in the job description.


There was one thing left to do: Her job.


 


 


The kitchen was nothing special, albeit much more than she could afford herself. To her left, a fridge with a few family photos held by magnets, mostly of Richard and a child, probably Alex; A stove, which she could see, even from her perspective, it hadn't been properly cleaned in a while; A garbage bin, which was already overflowing with trash.


To her right was a massive wall of counters, one of which would probably be a sink, but she couldn't see from the tiled floor. She dropped her back pack to the floor and searched for the red push pin. When she removed it, she began to unwravel the cord that she had attached to it and then wrapped around the metalic part, lest the pin poke and pierce her back pack's fabric.


Once she was finished, she held on the rope and readied herself before throwing the pin high in the air. It went fowards...and then fell back. "Almost." She mumbled to herself, attempting again. This time, it landed on top of the counter...but with one tug, it came plunging down back to her.


"Third time's the charm..." She said, trying once more. This time...it seemed stable enough. "Well...let's hope I didn't miscalculate how much my back pack weights." Wearing the back pack once more, she began to climb the white rope.


After a couple of minutes, she managed to reach the top without any trouble. Leaving the push pin in it's place, to have a way down, she dropped her back pack once more. She took a good look around.


The counters were actually, pretty filfthy. It wasn't just dust that accumulated, but she noticed dropped crumbs, as well as remains of sauce and grease. Finally, far away in the middle, was the metal sink. Like a pit filled with dirty porcelain. If she had time and energy, perhaps she would try to clean a cup.


She wouldn't want this to be a one-time thing, afterall. She needed this. "Right..." She turned around to her back pack and removed a white cloth from it, one of many cleaning items she brought.


After walking to the kitchen, she looked down at the dishes. Some looked recent, but some seemed to haven't been cleaned in a while. Well, she knew this wouldn't be a rich guy's house, otherwise they'd hire a Human instead, but still...


She sighed and began to walk towards the wall. Similar to how one would walk in a narrow path of a cave, she had to walk on the narrow path of the countertop without falling inside the sink. All of that so she could turn the water on. Since it was an old sink, there was a handle on the left of the faucet. Shaped like a plus sign, she only had to turn it sideways to start the flow.


But that was proving a little difficult with her strenght. "Hng...I thought I was a bit stronger..." Or rather, the handle was just a bit old and hard to turn to the side. When she was starting to push it, she started to hear a familiar sound.


Steps.


They weren't as scary, now that she wasn't on the ground, but perhaps it meant the person wasn't too far away, otherwise, she might not have heard it. Just then, a figure appeared on the doorway, the same one she used to enter the kitchen.


A black haired teenager, someone with a strikling ressemblance to Richard, despite having green eyes. She could easily deduce him, both by Richard's hints and the fact he looked similar to the child in the photos - Alex.


His messy black hair giving barely covering his white headphones, shouting music almost loud enough for Bianca to hear.


Wearing a white t-shirt, black hoodie, jeans and black sneakers, he took the first steps into the kitchen. At first, Bianca thought he would either introduce himself to her or ask for something. Perhaps, in the worst case scenario, be disgusted at her size. Either way, she needed to appear likeable, so she began to walk back, away from the sink.


It wasn't until she wasn't in danger of falling into the sink that his eyes wandered to the red push pin she had left on the counter. "The fuck?" He asked, lowering his eyebrows and reaching for the item.


Her eyes became wide as she shouted at him. "Wait-" She shouted, but it felt on deaf years. He plucked it out with ease. He turned around, all of his attention on the item. "How did this get here? Maybe it's something from one of dad's projects?" He asked, expecting no answer.


And even when Bianca yelled the answer, he was none the wiser. "Eh, whatever." He said, tossing the item back to the kitchen counter. At least she'd still have a way down, even if she'd have to stab it against the wooden counter again.


As Bianca began to walk towards it, Alex returned to his own world. Unbeskown to him, today was the day his father scheduled the maid to attend. Yes, he was told, but no, he didn't remember it was today. Instead, his real reason to be in the kitchen was very simple: he was hungry.


So without even glancing at Bianca, he reached for the kitchen cabinet high above her, reaching for a white bowl. Yet, like a normal careless teenager, his arm also bumped against a cereal box, knocking it and sending various chocolate balls to Biana's path. "Shit!" He yelled, using his other arm to lift the cereal box.


But his unintended actions had unintended consequences he couldn't even phantom. As Biana walked towards the push pin, she heard a loud noise above her, like multiple items shuffling against each other. One look up was enough to tell why: a cascade, a waterfall, a thunderstorm of food raining above her. "Huh?!" She barely managed to say, before they mounted around her like a pile of leaves.


A few bumped against her, forcing her against the cold floor. She barely had a second to register what was happening before even more chaos was thrown in her way. As she looked up, she saw a huge fleshy wall in front of her, moving ever so closely, collecting everything in it's path.


Alex, seeing his mess, decided to scoop the fallen cereal into his bowl. It was a little more cereal than he'd normally eat, but he might as well eat it all since he already poured outside the box. He placed the bowl on the end of the counter and with his other hand, pushed everything on the counter inside it, collecting all the cereal in one place.


Bianca was forced among the many little chocolate balls into the bowl. She could barely move, as if she was in an oversized ballpit. Whenever she pushed one away from her, another fell to fill it's place. Still, she continued to struggle. Yelling wasn't going to save her anyway, it was up to her own survival skills.


But she'd soon come to realize that stronger Micros had died in workplaces such as hers. As Alex closed the fridge, he poured white, cold milk on the cereal. Bianca gasped before she was hit with a few splashes of it.


It began to collect underneath her, until it reached and passed her. Although this was also a blessing in disguise. The chocolate balls began to float up, freeing her to reach the surface herself. Swimming in the milky lake she was enclosed in, she reached the top and took a big gasp of air.


Not that she would have drowned in the milk if she was a few seconds later, but the experience was enough to cause anyone to panic. "Stupid teenager- look down here and pay attention for once!" Yelling in frustation caused no reaction from Alex.


He continued to walk to his room, having already grabbed a metal spoon from a drawer. One of the few clean ones remaining. He thought his dad should hire the maid already. Without looking down, he decided to take his first scoop while still walking.


The bowl shook with each step, causing small waves of milk as the chocolate balls floated. Bianca didn't notice the spoon coming down until it was too late. "Ah?" She mumbled something as she looked down. Seeing a dark shadow underneath her...it seemed she was already on the spoon path's.


Not sure whether it was better to try to catch his attention once he lifted her up or to try to move out of the way was safer, she hesitated. That was enough to seal her with one of the options as it rose above the milk. Now she was being carried by the spoon...towards his hungry mouth.


She waved with both arms, still yelling at him. But Alex was none the wiser, simply opening his lips and letting the contents of the spoon enter his mouth.


Bianca watched his eyes before she did pass his lips, they looked foward, not once glancing down. And as his lips opened, his breathe caused her to grimmace. He hadn't cleaned his teeth today, she guessed, but as she was placed in the dark carvenous space, she disreguarded that and focused on the important: getting out!


She jumped foward and reached for the tip of the spoon, holding onto it with one arm. But as Alex took the spoon out, his lips formed a strong wall that blocked her exit. "No!" She exclaimed, now left to become teenager fuel.


She watched in despair as the ground beneath her began to move, his strong tongue moving it's contents around. Each chocolate ball a target for his teeth to break into smaller pieces. "Stop!" She yelled, as she was mistaken for one. "Mister Alex!" She yelled his name as she was thrown onto pearly white teeth. "I-" And as she looked up to see a similar row coming down, she felt herself being pushed down before...feeling nothing.


Alex, having never known about Bianca's presence, never noticed when he chewed on her body and then swallowed everything in his mouth to prepare for more food. He wouldn't discover that his stomach digested her remains and, indeed, turned her into fuel for the eighteen years old teenager.


His father would eventually come home to Alex watching television. He entered the kitchen and noticed that it was almost the same as before. For a minute, he wondered if Bianca didn't bother to do her job...but noticed the push pin on top of the counter. It was clear she tried. If she didn't succeed...he didn't know how, but he knew she was dead.


He sighed, feeling a bit guilty, but knowing he had to move on.


As he disposed of the push pin, he returned to the living room.

 

Alex gave him a glance and asked. "So, when is that maid coming again?"