- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

(Getting my ideas down for working this stroy in the future) 

She opened her eyes and blinked, unsure if the darkness enveloping her was her vision or lack of. This inky plane was devoid of sound; the only audible noise was her heart beat drumming in her ears. Her mouth opened to call out yet no sound escaped, she had the sensation of bubbles erupting from her mouth as if she was underwater. Suspended in this noir space drowning in her own mind she begged for help yet there was nothing...

Her eyes fluttered open, flooding her vision with sky blue. A puff of lazy cloud drifted across, warmth radiated down on her, warming her skin. To the right a melody trilled, the lyrical expression of joy from a bird. She laid as still as possible not wanting to break this magical moment of waking and terrified to sink back into that abysmal place of dreaming. Freed of the prison where her mind had wandered in slumber she breathed in deep, the sharp scent of pine filling her lungs. Her eyes rolled to the left and to the right, the splintered remains of trees nestled beside her. A sigh escaped her. "Sorry trees." she whispered feeling guilty at the destruction she had wrought in her sleep. It was inevitable, she didn't fit in this world, there was no where she could go where her bulk didn't disrupt the natural order of things. That meant trees would be reduced to splinters and plants smothered beneath her expansive girth. No matter how tentative her steps were they always led to some level of destruction leaving a path back to her. She wasn't sure how she'd come to be here, but not a day passed where she wasn't aware of how oversized she was. There were no memories for her to look back at for answers. If there was an answer to what she was or how she'd ended up in the miniscule place it was locked deep inside her in an unobtainable place. As she sat up the bird took flight, its tiny wings flapping for all it was worth in an effort to flee the behemoth that had just rose up from the forest to tower above its perch in the tree. She watched it fly into the distance. A feeling of loss greater than the absence of its song echoing in her heart. She was lonely, or perhaps just alone. To be lonely she would have had to have known the feeling of not being alone, and she didn't. Everything felt the need to flee before her, maybe it was instinct. Her presence was like an approaching natural disaster urging them to flee or maybe... she was just a monster. Too unaural to even be considered a pandemic to react to. The forest slowly blurred as tears filled her eyes, and she fervently wiped them away. There was no point.

She stood up, rising above all the trees in the woods, her towering figure jutting out of the treeline an affront to the horizon's perfect green. She stretched and looking down began to gingerly pick her way through the forest. Each step cracking and splintering as she bumped against trees, snapping them like twigs beneath her feet. The lush smell of trampled vegetation and fresh earth rising up to meet her as she compressed the forest floor beneath her soles. She knew where she was going, a deep lake, she spent most of her time here, the running water from the streams that fed it spoke to her conversing of things she couldn't understand but somehow it was enough. The lake glistened in the sunlight, like a vast mirror pristine and deep, the sheer cliffs surrounding it on most sides almost buzzing with the heat radiating off them from the sun. A twinge of movement drew her eye, something clinging to the side of the cliff. Her head slowly tipped trying to identify what it was. On a bit of scrub brush hanging from the cliff was a man. She'd seen them on rare occasions, the first time had filled her with a sense of hope and wonder. They were so much like her, excluding the size. They fit this world and she didn't, they'd made that obvious when she'd approached. She gingerly rubbed the scar on her hand, it seemed to burn with the memory of that encounter. Lost in the past she returned to the present in time to see the flailing man loose his grip and freefall before plummeting into the water below, with one small "plunk" he sank under the water... and didn't surface. The lake was deep, deep enough to submerge her vast body, the thought of someone sinking slowly for that long pulled at her heart. Wadding in she approached the spot and peered through the water it was crystal clear and even with the sediment she'd distrurbed she could see him. He was sinking and without thinking she reached down, her hand opened below him under the water. She felt the small thud as he landed in her palm and she lifted him from the water. It broke the surface, streams of water rushing through her fingers until it was only him she held. He lay there, motionless. Was he breathing? Her eyes strained trying to see his tiny chest rise and fall yet it was still. Gently she nudged him with her finger, his body rolling over from the force of her prod but not moving further. "What do I do?" she wondered, looking around nervously for anyone to help. With no other options she gently pinched his leg between her fingers and hoisted him up of her hand, letting him hang upside down from her fingertips. She gave him a quick shake and let him swing back and forth hoping to force the water from his lungs. She was about to give up when she heard him sputter and cough. Lifting him up to eye level she could see his eyes open staring at her with terror. He screamed and she nearly dropped him, from shock. His body thrashing wildly upside down in her grasp...