- Text Size +

The Galar region has long been known as the place where giant pokemon roam the land. Over hundreds of years, the people of Galar came to adapt to life with the giant creatures, even learning to harness the ability to grow their own pokemon giant. Ever since Eternatus was reawakened, however, the dynamaxing energy had begun acting up in events which had come to be called Dynamax Anomalies, in which not only pokemon, but also some humans, grew to sizes that surpassed the limits of normal dynamaxing, albeit for only a few hours at a time.

The anomalies apparently happened at random, and no one could predict when or where the next one would occur, or who would be the one to grow. In the weeks since the first such anomaly, they had been the subject of worried conversations all over Galar.

But for the young pokemon trainer Gloria, nothing could be further from her mind. On this day, she cared for nothing save enjoying the bright, beautiful day in Lake Axewell's placid waters, splashing around in her swimsuit. She had been in there for half an hour when she noticed some energy running over the earth and through the water before surging into her body. All of a sudden she shot upwards at an alarming speed, growing to over five hundred feet in mere seconds.

Gloria looked out over the land, seeing the tall trees and great plains of the Wild Area reduced to sizes so quaint it made this look like a model landscape. In the distance, she saw a dynamaxed pikachu in the middle of a battle with some trainers. She ventured closer to it, her approach drawing the attention of big pikachu and the trainers who fought it. The dynamaxed pokemon, having forgotten all about its battle, looked up at her perplexed at finding someone bigger than itself. Amusingly, it stood about the same size compared to her as a pikachu normally would.

Giggling, Gloria picked it up and hugged it before setting it on the ground behind her and shooing it on. The pikachu left with a dazed expression on its face.

Gloria then turned her attention to the little trainers by her feet, along with their little pokemon. Feeling playful, she held her hands out and went, “Boo!” spooking them all away. She followed after them, walking slowly so her feet always settled down not far behind them. A minute into her chase, she stomped her foot down, shaking the earth enough to make them stumble and fall. They looked up, and as they saw her giant foot swing over them, all felt certain they were about to be crushed under it. Instead, it swung past them before coming down. Gloria waved them goodbye, then kept on walking, leaving them all behind.

Her steps carried her right towards a small town, which appeared to be empty. The only person there was a single, frightened kid, about the same age as her, who waited at the town entrance. It looked like he was trying to stand firm, but he was trembling so badly it was a wonder he managed to stand at all. When she stopped before him, leaning over and smiling, he swooned and fell down.

Gloria scooped the boy up and brought him to her face, blowing on him to wake him up. He soon came to, and when he opened his eyes and saw her face, he sat up and began scooting back along her hand, stopping only once his back bumped against her curled fingers. If it weren't for them, he probably would have kept going until he fell right off.

She gave him a friendly greeting, which he nervously returned. After introducing herself, she asked who he was, and why he was the only person around. He told her his name was Victor, and that he was a pokemon trainer who had stopped at this town for supplies. He had tried buying some, but the townsfolk said they refused to sell anything to outsiders. Then when they saw that she was coming toward their town, they had all hidden in their homes or shops, and wouldn't let him inside with them. They said they might possibly sell him what he wanted if he went out and stopped her from wrecking their town.

After hearing his story, Gloria was outraged. She spoke to the townsfolk, chastising them for their cowardice and their lack of hospitality. Raising her foot over the town, she threatened to crush their buildings underfoot. After hearing this, Victor begged her not to destroy their town for his sake. Gloria grinned at him and winked, letting him know she wouldn't do anything of the sort.

After hearing her threat, the townsfolk hurried outside, begging her to have mercy. She said she would spare them, as long as they handed over the supplies that they'd refused Victor.

They hurried into their shops to grab the supplies in question, soon returning with much more than Victor had tried buying from them. Gloria lowered her hand to the ground, telling them all to give her the supplies. Once they'd finished, then she stood up again and gave it all to Victor. “Is this enough?” she asked. Victor looked at the pile and nodded, stunned to have received so much.

Gloria said she wouldn't crush the town and warning the people not to treat an outsider like that ever again, or else she'd come back to punish them. She departed after the townsfolk assured her that they would be welcoming to any future travelers who passed by.

Once they were back out in the Wild Area, Victor thanked her, saying that he didn't think he could ever repay her kindness. Gloria assured him that she didn't need any sort of payment; she had done it because she was moved by his story, not because she expected something from him. Then she asked him where he'd been going.

He told her he was going to Motostoke city to challenge its gym leader. Gloria said she would be glad to take him there, and so she set of walking towards the distant city. She reached its southern wall in no time at all, stepping over it and into the city proper, then walking through its streets as the people scrambled to hide in their buildings. Upon reaching the stadium, the giant trainer set Victor down at the entrance, telling him that she'd be watching and cheering for him during his battle. He thanked her and went inside while she waited for his battle to start.

She had been waiting for ten minutes, and was starting to grow impatient, when she saw him and the local gym leader, Kabu, walk out into the arena. Because of her presence, there were no crowds gathered to watch their battle, This time there were no crowds to cheer them on, and no opening ceremony. The only person watching them was Gloria herself, who was shouting encouragement for Victor. Kabu, clearly anxious over the conditions in which they were battling, had a poor performance, even forgetting to dynamax his pokemon.

The battle was over quickly, and then Victor received the fire badge from Kabu, the only fanfare accompanying his victory being the giant girl's cheers. Even so, he was proud to have beaten the gym. As he left the stadium, he was picked up by Gloria again. Patting him on the head, she congratulated him on his victory and headed back out of the city.

Out in the Wild Area again, Gloria went back to spot by the lake where she'd left her stuff before going for a swim, and sat down at the lakeshore, splashing her legs in the water. She set Victor down next to her stuff and told him he could use it to cook if he wanted to. He did just that, soon having dinner ready for both of them, and their pokemon. Curiously, even though what Gloria ate was no more than a grain of rice compared to her, she still found it filling.

Come nighttime, with the stars shining in the sky above and the last embers of the campfire glowing on the ground below, she grabbed him and lay him down on her belly, where he fell asleep.

Next morning, Gloria opened her eyes to see she was back at her normal size, with Victor still lying on top of her. She pushed him off , giving him a rude awakening, then got up and put her usual clothes on again. Seeing her at her normal size for the first time, Victor was at a loss for words on. After getting used to her as a giant, it seemed surreal to find himself a couple inches taller than her. He supposed she looked like a normal girl now, but he couldn't see her that way no matter how hard he tried. To him she was still always be the girl that had held him in her hands like a  tiny bug and carried him across the whole wild area in mere minutes on a casual stroll. Maybe that's what she would always be.

As she was getting dressed, Gloria reflected on yesterday's adventures. She imagined her face would be printed on every newspaper and broadcast onto every television screen. Everyone who saw her in their towns would recognize as that one girl who grew giant and caused havoc in Motostoke city. They'd all be looking at her funny until other anomalies pushed the memory of hers out of the public consciousness, probably a couple weeks from now.

It would be a pain to deal with now that she wasn't dozens of stories tall, and she definitely wasn't looking forward to it. Still, as she glanced over her shoulder at Victor, she thought there was at least one good thing to have come of it all, and decided she wouldn't have acted any other way.