- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

After shrinking technology is finally discovered, it's first use is prison reform. Prisons are made using everyday objects, including a girl's sandal.

 

This story contains: Feet and footwear

I remember seeing the headline pop up on my Twitter feed. "Scientists announce revoluntionary size altering technology" it read. It seemed pretty cool, I was interested to see how they'd use it to better humanity. They could easily solve the hunger crisis by growing massive amounts of food, or be able to study diseases and viruses more up close than ever. I was pretty surprised to see the first usage of the technology would be for prisons. To reduce overcrowding in prisons, they'd shrink prisoners down. It seemed like a decent idea at the time, but in just a few short months this would cause a monumental shift to the human race, and I don't think it will ever be the same

 

I'm just one week into my sentence, but it's felt like years, which isn't a comforting thought since I still have 19 years and 51 weeks left on my sentence. I was given 20 years in prison, and you'd think for such a long sentence I committed a pretty serious crime. In reality, my crime was nothing more than accidentally forgetting to pay for a chocolate bar at the grocery store. Micro prisons have quickly become an insanely profitable business, so the courts are handing out very long sentences for very minor crimes. Prisons aren't just the normal concrete buildings you saw on TV either. They've gotten far more creative with them, with various objects becoming prisons with normal sized people watching over them. People can volunteer to become wardens, and many women jumped at the opportunity. I'm not sure why specifically women were so interested, but over 99% of these new wardens are female.

My prison is a sandal. They shrank me down so much that this sandal is the size of a large city to me. The warden I was assigned to clearly loves this pair of sandals, shes worn them every day since I arrived. She's not wearing them right now thankfully, I think she's gone to bed, so I have time to write down my memoirs in the hope they are one day read. Even though it's only been a week here, it was by far the hardest week of my life. Once the judge read out my sentence, I was immediately taken into a room that looked like a doctor's office. Someone came in and injected me with a bright blue liquid, the size serum. They told me I had 10 minutes until its effects kicked in, and I should call my family and friends. I had only been arrested that morning, so nobody knew what had happened, so I quickly grabbed my cell phone and called my parents and eventually my best friend, Scott. Unfortunately, it turned out Scott had been arrested for jaywalking earlier that day and was now serving 15 years inside an ear piercing. I'm almost jealous of him. Anyway, as my time left as a normal sized person was nearing it's end, a gorgeous young woman walked into the room. "My name's Katie, I'm your warden" she said. My smile from seeing a cute girl quickly turned to panic. I noticed Katie was wearing a studded ear piercing, and I could almost make out a human shaped form within the gem. Poor Scott. Katie carefully took off her right sandal, a leather sandal that had clearly seen some better days, the spots where her toes rested nearly pitch black. "This will be your prison for the next 20 years, take a good look" Katie said bluntly. I couldn't do anything, my body was frozen with fear, and within a few seconds the size serum did it's thing.

 

My vision went blank for a moment, and then I woke up dazed in my new surrounding. The cracked sole of Katie's sandal rose above me like skyscrapers, the smell intoxicatingly strong and the air extremely humid with sweat. I looked up at the sky and could vaguely make out the silhoutte of a human, I assumed Katie. My mind couldn't comprehend just how massive she was now, or rather how tiny I was now. Katie's foot loomed overhead, eventually blocking out the entire sky as her big toe laid directly on top of me, hundreds of feet in the air. It slowly lowered on top of me, and everything went pitch black. The pounding of Katie's footsteps rung throughout my ears and my bones shook as my entire body was slammed repeatedly against the hard surface of both the sandal and her toe. The size serum made people extremely durable, so I was in a lot of pain but uninjured. It was like riding the worst amusement park ride of all time. After what felt like hours, it finally stopped. Katie took off the sandal and I was blinded by light. I was far to small to accurately make out where I was, but I figured I was in her bedroom. I was quite dizzy and nearly passed out from her walking, but I managed to gather my bearings. I hadn't even been down here a day and I was already feeling the worst I had ever felt, how the fuck was I going to manage 20 years?

 

Katie's sandal is like an extremely complex maze, I explore through the trenches of the leather sole to find my food and water. Dead skin cells and sweat, exactly as delicious as it sounds. Eventually I find some and I choke down a few bites of skin and manage to take a small gulp of sweat without vomiting. At my size, that's all the food I'm going to need for today. I've made my way to the edge of the sandal before, but the walls are so high escape is impossible, plus since I'm microscopic in size it'd be pointless anyway. There's not really a whole lot for me to do, it's quite boring. I've gotten used to the smell, I can still definitely smell it as it's so pungent, but since I'm around it all the time, I stopped noticing for the most part. The worst part as you can imagine is when Katie wears the sandal. Being bounced around for hours on end with almost no time to collect myself takes a toll. Once she finally stops walking, I can't do anything but lie on the ground in pain, look up and watch as Katie's foot moves away from my prison. It may sound strange, but that might be the one thing I enjoy. The leather surface of her sandal is harsh and unforgiving when I'm bounced around, but when I hit the skin of her foot, it's quite soft and pleasant. It's not enough to say I enjoy the bouncing, but when you're in this environment you take all the positives you can get. Watching Katie's enormous foot lift off the sandal with ease is quite the sight, it's incredible watching something so large move with such grace. I take in a deep breath of the now fresh aroma. It's almost pleasant, maybe it's just messing with my brain, I don't know.

 

Another week has passed down here in Katie's sandal. I'm once again searching for food, I'm quite hungry. I find my meal and take a few hearty bites of skin and take a long swig of sweat. I've gotten used to the taste now, it's not too bad actually. I can hear the thunderous earthquakes of Katie's step in the distance. She didn't wear the sandal yesterday, the first time she hadn't since my sentence. I was almost disappointed. Today, she's going to wear it. A smile nearly creeps across my face for the first time as she grabs the sandal and undoes the strap. I look off in the distance at her face, her stunningly gorgeous face. Katie slides the sandal on and I'm directly under her big toe like I was when we first met. She starts to walk away and I'm giddy with excitement as my body is flung into the deep ridge of her toe print and back down into my sandal home. Maybe this won't be so bad, if anything I got lucky to have such a beautiful woman as my warden. After a few hours of her walking, it feels like just minutes, Katie stops and removes my home sandal. I watch with pure satisfaction as her dainty yet incredibly massive toes lift off into the distance as she walks away. I can't wait for tomorrow!