- Text Size +

"I hope it dies peacefully back there," Emily said with a light laugh as she continued down the path she saw Sam take earlier. She had hoped to catch up with her eventually, but as the fork re-merged with one another, Sam was still nowhere to been seen. Emily kept moving forward. She figured if Sam wasn't here at the division, she probably was closer to the campsite clearing. She wasn't too worried because it wasn't out of the ordinary for Samantha to go missing. Sam's name was almost routine to leave at least one chaperones mouth during a high school field trip, and her airheadedness only chased her up into adulthood.

Only, this time when she reached the clearing, Sam still wasn't anywhere to be found. Emily started to become irritated, taking out her phone cell to make a call, only to flip it open and take in the view of a blinking no service icon.

"Seriously?" Emily muttered under her breath as she shoved it back into the middle of her purse and went back onto the trail with a huff. It was bad enough she had to shit herself without a change; now she had to go on a wild goose chase looking for her friend with it smushing between her cheeks. She grabbed the park map from her backpack and located a nearby ranger station only a few miles up the trail from her.

"Goddammit, Sammy." Emily sighed as she trudged forward, "I swear if this is another one of your practical jokes, I'm never going to forgive you for it." She started to mentally prepare herself to file a report at the station for her missing friend, suddenly becoming extremely self-conscious about the bug brushing against her right asscheek. She wasn't wrong about it being resilient; its amusing protests kept her company with each step along the two-mile, forty-minute journey. 

"Hello?" There was minimal hesitation in her demeanour as she stepped through the door, a light jingle announcing her entry. She was met again with empty silence as the ceiling fan spun lazily overhead, stimulating the station's calm air.

"Hello!! Is anyone there? It's an emergen...cy." She gave up as soon as she spotted a red coloured card with the words 'Out to Lunch' printed in bold white letters on the front desk. Golden strands fell into her face as she tousled her hair in frustration.

"Of all the times to not be here." Groaning, she crinkled over to the nearby waiting area where a set of wooden benches and an oak coffee table stood buried in old NatGeo mags. She reached down and picked an interesting one off the table, planning on waiting at least an hour before she went back to the parking lot.

"Let's make a little bit of room here," she said to herself as she shoved the set of beige pillows out of the way and took a seat, kicking off a flurry of unhappy movements under her. She had no way of knowing the person she was trying to find was with her every step of the way, right up until she scooted back on the bench in an attempt to find some comfort from its wooden surface. In an instant, a small muffled screech went silent as Samantha became entombed from within the messy fabric. The pressure sent shit into her mouth, ears, and even into her eye sockets. Her pathetic attempt at resistance was crushed just like that. A causal action no one would bat an eye at had spelt her doom. If she still had any hearing left, she would've noticed the rhythmic crinkling that continued to pick up in pace just before the pressure increase for a second time and crushed her skull. At least the suffering was over, though. After all, isn't that what best friends are for?

Chapter End Notes:

Chapter Release (2/2)