- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

This chapter introduces my concept (which im not 100% has been done here before) in full towards the end. I hope it peaks your interest.

"Are we ready to go?" Ashley was burning with excitement to see what was available in this facility.

 

"Certainly seems so, it's already..." Jesse did a quick check of his watch to acknowledge the time.

"12pm ish"

 

"Let's get going" said Ashley as she headed towards the door.

 

Some time later..

 

"We've got all kinds of facilities, we try not to give too much detail on TV as some are quite complicated indeed and we don't want to confuse people." this matter-of-fact male scientist explained to the couple.- "But they are certainly worth your time and money, may I ask, what particular stress relief are you interested or have you not decided ma'am?"

 

"The destroying stuff sounded interesting, me and my boyfriend were talking about it last night." she turned to Jesse as she mentioned him to the man, he darted his eyes to the floor to avoid showing interest in the topic.

 

"I see, will he be joining you in your stress relief sessions?" the scientist asked.

 

"Maybe" - "No" they both answered at the same second.

 

Ashley shook her head- "I guess not, Sir. Just me then."

 

"Excellent, right this way ma'am and I'll show you to the destruction chambers." the scientist directed her down the corridor with his arm out indicating for her to walk ahead of him.

 

Ashley began to walk with Jesses hand in hers but he tugged back as she began to walk, she turned around confused.

 

"This is where I dip out, if I go ahead I'll probably get stuck here and I'll probably DIE." he tried not to look immeasurably bored by making a light joke.

 

Ashley sighed loudly- "Fine, enjoy whatever it is you plan to do." she leaned in for a kiss and Jesse went on his way.

 

 

--------

 

 

"Here we are in the destruction chamber, if you'll direct your eyes here." The scientist pointed towards a white translcuent wall with a door next to it, he began to push numbers into a keypad and push another button next to it, the translucency of the white began to fade and then it was transparent, Ashley and the scientist now able to view into the destruction chamber currently in use. There was a man in his 30s wearing a white shirt and a loosened tie kicking rubble around the room and throwing stuff at the wall.

 

"As you can see ma'am, this man is enjoying the benefits of the destruction chamber, essentially what our science allows us to do is construct miniature cities and allow everyday people like yourself the opportunity to do what they like. You may have noticed that larger things tend to crumble a lot more as they are larger, so they possess lot more molecules thus they can split into even smaller pieces, so by reducing the space between atoms we were able to miniaturize large objects whilst still retaining their ability to shatter into thousands of pieces, resulting in an extremely satisfying shatter effect when content is destroyed."

 

*SLAM* the grey brick shattered into the wall and errupted into thousands of pieces.

 

"It's all very complicated but that's the jist of it, maybe you understand?" he looked at her

 

"So, you digitally construct them as regular sized first?" Ashley asked with genuine interest but also slight confusion at the concept.

 

"Well I can't go into detail about how we actually achieve these results, but as a customer we are legally required to give you basic details about how our services function for your safety and agreement later on at the time of purchase." 

 

"I understand." Ashley said fixated on the room, watching the man in the room jump and throw things around.- "It looks so real" she thought to herself.

 

"Let's get you started with a medium package, you get 3 hours and 30ft by 30ft, your session will be ready for a 1pm start, how does that sound ma'am?" The scientist said as he lifted his clipboard, readying his fancy ballpoint pen to the checkbox on his paper, lifting his head to await her answer.

 

"Sounds great." Ashley agreed.

 

 

--------

 

Ashley was standing outside the door to the destruction chamber.

 

"Alright ma'am, your simulated city destruction chamber has been generated, your session may begin. We do hope you enjoy." the scientist said as he leaned forward toward the end with a reassuring smirk on his face.

 

"Thank you, sir." she smiled awkwardly back as he headed off down the corridor.

 

She entered the room and the door shut behind her, at the back of the room was a digital clock, centered aligned at the highest point of the wall that read- "2:59:46" and was steadily counting down.

 

Ashley's eyes fell downwards towards her black ankle boots which were situated on a small shiny white platform that was connected to the door, slightly in front of it was the miniturized town which began to look even more surreal. Ashley noticed that she appeared to be at the edge of the town with very few buildings. She waddled forward towards the edge of her white platform, ready to step into the city.

 

She took a deep breath in preparation.

 

"Here we go." she whispered to herself as she lifted her boot off the platform and sent it hurtling towards the town-floor. It collided with the ground creating a deep impact noise, Ashley could hear the thump and the massive wave of dust-like dirt blasting in all directions away from her boot like a bomb had gone off where she had planted her boot sole. She was surprised at how satisfying a single step could be, she then planted her other boot next to it creating the same shockwave outwards and nearly shaking a nearby inch-tall industrial building to the ground. She began striding forwards zooming past many buildings at once.

 

She looked carefully at the buildings as she strolled closer to the inner city, it looked almost exactly like their town, it was, it was a miniaturized recreation. Of course, she thought; it makes sense that they would use their own town as a blueprint, they know people would pay top dollar to throw their office buildings at a wall and watch them shatter, or they would have to go through the effort of creating their own city. But these materials, the dirt below, the concrete buildings, everything was so extraordinary, she wondered how they achieved this, 3D printing could never print specific materials, only plastic. Bizarre.

 

She had wandered to another part of town and had an epiphany about where she stood, she recognized the street and the white building she described yesterday, this was where she was. She smirked at how impressive and detailed this whole miniature town was.

 

"I've always said this building was ugly" she joked as she lifted her massive boot into the air, preparing to stomp. Before she could let loose there was thumping behind her at her door.

 

Ashley stood there with her foot in the air, not paying attention to the door, or where this panicked banging was coming from.

 

"Stop what you are doing, stop now!"

 

"Jared you have to force the door open, she'll kill us all!"

 

"Lady! Don't move, please!"

 

Ashley continued not able to hear the cries at the door and stomped her boot straight down on top of the building, suddenly the ceiling caved in on top of her, crushing her straight into the ground instantly.

 

 

-------

 

 

 

Jesse was on his way back to the facility with a burger in hand to see how Ashley was getting on, he hoped she was enjoying herself and she'd finally have a good day to relieve some stress. He was making his way down the road approximately 200 metres away from the white building. Suddenly coming from above was a massive black object that came hurtling straight down to the ground and landing on top of the wide building, instantly crushing it and reducing it to the rubble, there was no brief moment of it holding itself up, it just instantly flattened like a car going over a paper cup. A shockwave of dirt shot out of the impact and went flying past Jesses view above him launching his car briefly into the air and creating an ear blasting explosion sound.

 

"What the fuck!" Jesse screamed as he stared in disbelief for a brief moment. He came back to reality and floored the gas on his car speeding towards the building where he knew he left his girlfriend previously, he was approaching and the black object was getting bigger in his view- it started rotating right very quickly for its size but then abruptly rotated in the other direction and began repeating this movement. 

 

He put his car into park rapidly from about 50 feet away exiting the vehicle and sprinting towards the monolithic black object, it was twisting further crushing the building to dust underneath it. Jesse had tears streaming down his face staring at this horrific site. The black object lifted from the ground and into the sky backwards, Jesse turned his focus back to the building ready to go searching for his girlfriend. As he began beginning a sprint forward he stopped and stared with dead eyes at nothing but grey dust and red stains. The only way she'd be alive is if she was never there in the first place. He looked around him searching for others who made it out, he needed an eye witness, she could've made it out. But everyone had disappeared, they had fled the giant object a while ago.

 

 

He dropped to his knees as something approached him from out of the sky.

 

-----

 

Ashley enjoyed twisting her ankle boot sole into the building, crushing it further, she had never felt something so unbelievably satisfying in her entire life. Her mouth was agape with satisfaction, they really knew what they were doing here. She then lifted her foot off of the building, she noticed the rubble but as well as next to the rubble light movement, it was so minor she could barely notice it. She went in for a closer look, bending over and getting her face closer to the floor for a good view.

 

"Are those... cars and people??"

 

Jesse looked up at the monolithic face appearing out of the blue sky.

 

"Is that Ashley?"