- Text Size +

Ashley steps back off the platform and proceeds with her plan by walking into the city again, looking for the SOS sign she saw earlier. - "I swear it was around here somewhere...-" She spots it with a big footprint in it, feeling ashamed, shuddering as she remembered her previous actions.

"The group responsible for the SOS sign, please come back to it." Ashley announced loudly across the city, waiting the arrival of her communicators.

 

At the same time...

 

Jesse look up at Ashley shouting, almost as if she thought they were scattered miles away when in fact they were near her shoes below.

"Let's go! Jesse your plan literally worked, like- I wasn't expecting that." Jodie said excitedly, returning hope to the people below, even the ones who once doubted everything and were ready to give up.

Jesse didn't seem convinced, something was off about his demeanor, he wasn't excited despite stressing out over achieving this outcome. He spoke back to Jodie.

"I don't think it's going to be enough. I don't know what Ashley's goals are but she is grasping at straws here, I don't even think she knows what shes going to do."

"What do you mean? Shes going to save us, that's what. That's literally what you wanted." Jodie said clearly annoyed that he wasn't pleased with this outcome.

"I didn't just want to survive, I wanted this to change. Ashley won't be able to achieve that outcome, I even doubt she'd legally get anything to change knowing all the shady shit going on within governments around the world, they allowed this to happen in the first place. It may go somewhere, it may not, but someone has to have a plan B, just in case this goes nowhere and we're plunged into eternal suffering..." He looked at the ground, his brain computing his next actions and what he wanted for clone cilvlizations.

"Join the rest of them, I'm leaving." 

"What do you mean "you're leaving"? you can't just leave. What do you even think you can do?" Jodie was appalled at his self-confidence and how this outcome wasn't enough for him, he wanted more. She respected his tenacity, but he was insane if he thought he could bite off more than he can chew.

"I won't leave the rest of these people behind."

"There's no way you'll be able to evacuate the rest of the city and she won't be able to sneak them all out either. It's a lost cause, Jesse."

"Not just this city, all of them. Every destruction chamber in this facility, every person. I won't leave them to suffer." Jesse began walking in the opposite direction of Ashley and the crowd who were approaching her in their vehicles.

"What in the hell is wrong with you? Ugh, whatever! Enjoy dying becauuse you didn't know when to LIMIT YOUR AMBITIONS. Dumbass." She shouted angrily, he continued walking away from her, just what did this man think he could even achieve? he's smaller than an ant, he better cut his cut his losses whilst he still can. Jodie thought to herself before sticking her hand out at a car driving away, the door opens. - "Hey Jode, quickly get in, we're going to the girl now." - "Yeah..." she uttered getting into the car, staring out the window at Jesse before driving away.

"Okay, I should be able to pick up each of your cars, if you aren't in one I won't be able to pick you up at all. I know how lightly to hold the cars to place them in my palm." Ashley explained to the people below before squating, proceeding to pluck the miniscule cars and placing them on her outstretched palm above, delicately and slowly. She managed to cover her palm with approximately 50 cars, some weren't even in the SOS area but she was saving them anyways.

"I will close my hand into a light fist but I won't be able to move it to my side otherwise you'll fall too much distance inside my hand. Please try not to move your cars at all." She was ready to initiate her escape plan, show the world these terrible practices being committed and force a boycott at the least and full-on government shut down at the most. Anything she could do was worth it, it was better than idly standing by and let the members of the public destroy these clearly concious and feeling peoples, clones or not. She took a deep breath before standing up to the platform.

 

 

"What do you mean you won't help us escape?"

"I have no idea what it is you are even suggesting, my man. Listen, all of our trucks are being used for city-wide emergencies at the moment, we've never seen anything like it. We can't just go to another city and leave them suffering" the man responded, dressing himself in a hurry, he was preparing to head out, he was a firefighter getting ready to go into a severely damaged area. They had someone head out and return to let them know what was going on since all the phone lines were dead as well as the power.

"We NEED the ladder on the truck to climb over the platform, then we can get out the door." Jesse explained whilst pointing outwards in the direction that the door was in.

"Listen man, I don't know what you are talking about, we've got reports of a giant human kaiju of some kind destroying everything, I don't have time to sit here and talk about doors and simple retrieval missions, if they are stuck we can get them later as there are serious lives at risk here. Please step aside." He started a run after getting his gear on trying to get past Jesse. He then pushed the firefighter back so he couldn't get past him, the firefighter suddenly becoming infuriated by this man trying to stop him from saving lives, clearly a junkie who is hitting a bad trip. Jesse then reached into his jeans wasteband behind him, revealing a hand gun; a Ruger GP100. Pointing it at the innocent firefighter.

"You are clearly misinformed about what's going on and I'm not going to let your dumbass kill all of our people that are or will be simply because you know fuck all about what's going on here. I'm taking your truck and if you try and stop me I will shoot every goddamn idiot in this building." Jesse was sweating, his face red and his clothes dirty, to the average person without a knowledge of his actions for the past 2 hours he looked like a complete psychopath.

"You think I'm scared for my life? I'm a firefighter, motherfucker." he ran towards Jesse, instantly darting his gun downwards and blasting lead straight through his kneecap sending him straight onto the floor like a tree.

"FUCK, what the- are- ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?" the firefighter gripping his knee, which was bleeding profusely. Jesse walked backwards still pointing the gun at the man on the floor just as two men came running through the door to his right.

"What in gods name- Joe?!" Jesse shifted his aim towards the men at the door. "What are you doing? this is a fire station there's nothing we can do for you here." the older firefighter with a crispy cigarette voice shouted at Jesse.

Jesse responds in a strong loud voice.- "That man- Joe, right? He's going to bleed out unless you let me leave with that last truck because as long as I'm here I won't let you move. What's it gonna be old man?"

The man closed his eyes looking down, weighing up the moral benefits in his head. They need that last truck to respond to a crisis in the city, prioritising Joe would jeopardise all of the innocent lives out there. On the contrary he looked to his side at Joe, he was clutching his knee, struggling to breath clearly in immense pain from the gunshot, this man was important to him and he didn't have much of a choice either, they may not get the truck even if Joe dies right here.

"Take it and get the fuck out of here." The old man says, Jesse begins walking backwards quicker, still pointing the firearm at the men.

"Goddamn son of a bitch." the older firefighter said whilst attending to Joes wounds.

Jesse takes off, getting into the truck in the building garage, driving away and into the direction of the escape platform, he flicks the siren on.

 

The truck was darting through the countryside going 50 miles an hour down quiet roads, alerting the animals in the fields and the people in the farms. His truck began shaking gradually, he leans forward whilst gripping the wheel, looking out the front window to the left, seeing a colossal black boot gliding through the air in the distance, heading for the door. It slammed into the fields in the distance in front of the platform, the dirt shockwave travelling quickly towards him and past the truck, causing it to tip a bit. She effortless lifts her monolithic foot into the air and stands on the platform, the huge muscles pressing downwards lifting the god-like figure up the entire cliff in seconds. Jesse floors the gas trying to speed up, he was going to miss his window and he may not be able to get anyone up there in time.

He reaches the cliff side, feeling shaking on the ground beneath him that were echoing from the weight on the platform above. He looked directly up seeing the massive ridge whilst increasing the ladder length hoping that it would barely make it, the step appeared to be about 38m and if this was a specialized truck then it should just about get there. It was fully extended and Jesse began climbing the truck. He looked around at all the fields around him in the countryside, it was eerily quiet, he was truly at the edge of town, nobody was here for him to escort. There was nothing he could do, but his escape still mattered, not for this doomed chamber, but rather for the others he could get to if he survives. He frantically commenced his ladder climbing, approaching the top of the ridge, mid-climb he was shook by the intense high-decibel volume of Ashley speaking 1600 metres above him.

 

"I'm sorry, I can't take you all with me" After taking the step onto the platform in front of the door she turned around to look at the city she was leaving behind, seeing hundreds upon hundreds of cars  speeding down the countryside roads in her direction, they knew she was leaving them and they woulnd't last much longer. She felt awful about the choice she needed to make, she simply couldn't take anymore, there were millions of others in this facility who were also doomed, she intended to use this small group to save future people. Not these ones here. It was a tough pill to swallow, but it was a decision a leader needed to make, she knew her boyfriend deep down would've done the same thing if he knew what was going on here.

"I'm sorry, you'll be at peace soon" she said whilst turning to the door, she picked up her socks in her right hand, shoving them into her pockets, she took a large deep breath before exhaling and proceeding, opening the door.

"NO!" Jesse shouted as he reached the top of the ridge, the door was opening, he took off sprinting in the direction of the door, he was on the right side of it out the way of its swing. He was making quick work of the ground he had to cover as he saw the legs travelling through the air and slamming down onto the ground in the door frame, allowing the other leg to take over body weight shifting. The door behind Ashley above started closing itself with its own weight as she let it go. Jesse's window was closing, he had 10 seconds left on this 200 metre long platform. He hiked over the metal bumps of the frame just as the door came to a crashing close, the metal bar clicking into the frame holding the door shut echoing all the way down to the floor. Above Ashley was looking left to right down the corridor.

"Hello again, ma'am. Is there anything I can help you with?" said the same man from earlier with the labcoat.

"Hello, yes. I'd like to terminate my session." 

"You still have nearly an hour remaining, wouldn't you like to finish it?" he looked confused, most people enjoy every minute they can get and she also agreed to this time.

"Oh no thanks, I uh, something- something came up and I need to go home."

"No problem, how did you find it?"

"It was uhh, yeah- very- very good. Relaxing! I feel so relieved now."

"Well that's what we are here for!" he laughed whilst warmly smiling at her. - "I hope you have a good rest of your day." he opened a metal wall panel with the extensive amount of keys attached to his pants, showing quite a few buttons and dials. Lifting a cover on a red button, and holding it still for 10 seconds. A loud electronic-like blast could be heard, muffled by the concrete walls in the room, suggesting that the city had been expired and erased. He turned back to her- "hopefully we'll see you again some time?"

"Haha, yeah.. for sure." Ashley awkwardedly laughed whilst walking away. As soon as she turned her back the mans warm smile also expired and erased, he walked quickly into Suzannes office.

"Suzanne we've got an early leaver, she's acting suspicious."

Suzanne looked up from her papers, removing her glasses. She responds "Is it chamber number 30 by any chance?"

"How did you know?" 

"She doesn't agree with our practices. I'm not surprised she wants to leave if she can't stomach it. Please check her for any of our "property" before she leaves the building, I'll come shortly." Suzanne continued writing in her documents replacing her glasses on the bridge of her nose.

"Right away, Miss Anderson." the man leaves the room, gently shutting the door behind him as not to disturb Suzanne with the noise.

 

Ashley was walking quickly towards the reception area, shortly before reaching the front desk from behind her she heard-

"Excuse me ma'am please wait there." the man in the labcoat did a light jog towards her in order to catch up.

"Oh, is something wrong?" Ashley was confused by the approach.

"We're going to need to conduct a search on you, it's protocol." he explained to her.

"You can't do that!" she exclaimed

"Yes we can, our terms & conditions state that anybody who enters any of our chambers within the bounds of the facility at any of our locations must and will be searched by a staff member if they so wish to do so. You agreed to this when you came here."

"What are you searching me for?" she demanded answers out of the employee.

The man snapped his fingers in the direction of the door attempting to grab the attenion of the Stress Suite security guards. They approached him. "Please search this woman for any property belonging to us." the security guards took over control of the situation as the labcoat man watched with his arms crossed.

The security guard began calmly speaking to Ashley. - "Against the reception desk place, place your hands flat on the desk, spread your legs and put your head forward. This is just a quick search, fairly standard stuff. If you haven't done anything wrong then there is nothing to worry about." He leaned down towards the ground using his hands to start padding each leg, feeling for any objects hidden within the clothing.

Inside Ashley was having a panic attack, it was crucial that she made it out with the people. Looking upwards at the receptionist, who gave Ashley a quick glance whilst typing, her green eyes looking into hers whilst taking a sip of her glass of water. She looked away as Ashley slowly lifted her palms from the top section of the receptionists desk, she wasn't looking at her anymore, clearly not surprised by the situation occurring, it must happen often she thought. Bringing her hands together, opening her left palm and slowly plucking the cars one by one and placing them on the desk. Just as she placed the last car the guard had reached her arm pits, using his arm to swivel her around. "Turn around." he commanded whilst moving her at the same time. He stretched her hands out showing her palms, padding further around her arms.

 

"She's clean." he said to the labcoat man who requested the search.

The labcoat employee had no choice but to let her go. "Sorry for this, it's standard procedure here. Please have a good rest of your day."

"Yeah, right." she said, showing her animosity towards the employee, likely deriviative of the company itself and not the man before her. Knowing full well she was not innocent but she had to act as if she was being harrassed due to her projected innocence.

The employee turned and walked down the corridor, turning his focus to some other objective now that this situation was clear.

Ashley noticed the cars on the receptionists desk, they were not moving. Clearly understanding the risk of unveiling their existence outside of the destruction zone to the receptionist. She placed her left hand on the end of the receptionists desk, then slowly tapped her finger nail on this area of the deks whilst not looking at the cars. The noise would be loud enough for them to hear and they should see her finger in the distance, the nail tapping should look like idle fidgeting to the receptionist if she looks. The cars began driving forwards at 40mph, not as fast as they could go but as fast as they could go without the receptionist seeing them, she was at eye level with the upper level of the desk, this part of the desk was for standing customers to place things and fill out forms.

The cars had made it half way across the top level of the desk approaching Ashleys palm which was hover off the desk but at the same level as the platform the cars were on, ensuring they wouldn't fall more than 10 feet whilst also getting back onto her hand for transporation to safety. Out of the corner of her right eye Ashley saw Suzanne approaching out of nowhere.

"Oh hey girlie, going so soon?" she spoke candidly to Ashley, she quickly lifted her palm away from off the side of the desk, some cars grinded to an instant stop whereas others kept travelling along the desk. Suzanne was holding a steaming mug of coffee.

"Oh hey. Yeah I forgot I had some things to do." She lied to the director.

"For sure, busy times we live in. Especially for Stress Suite users, that's how they got here in the first place right?" She smiled at the girl, Ashley saw evil in her fake corporate small talk.

The director then walked forwards slowly, placing her scolding coffee mug on the receptionists desk on top of six cars that had stopped in the middle in order to not get spotted. Two of the cars getting crushed under the water weight of the circular frame around the bottom of the mug, the others instead getting trapped under the concave of the mug underneath. The temperature quickly rose for the tiny people, the cars air conditioning broke instantly trying to process the hot air into something safe for them to breath. The roasting air cooking their insides alive and generating immeasureable amounts of sweat, it cooked their flesh whilst they frantically spasmed around in their car seats, trying to grip some way of stopping this pain. Some exited their cars and collapsed on the floor unable to stop the torture from this everyday object.

Ashley didn't dare to look at the desk away from the eyes of the Director at the risk of causing her to follow her eye contact. She knew for sure that the mug must have landed on some cars if they hadn't moved, she hoped to god that they moved forward out of the danger zone.

As Suzanne placed her mug on the desk she began speaking to Ashley calmly. "Listen, I see your view, I really do. It's nice that you care so much, but we are scientists and we just see it from a more objective perspective, we use science and data to draw conclusions, not feelings. If it's not for you, then it's not for you, you can get stress relief at many other facilities, there are some here that would be great for you that aren't destruction zones. If you ever change your mind feel free to come back, I'll give you our biggest room for a free two hour session. You just let them know Suzanne offered it." Suzanne was trying to resonate with Ashley, but she saw through her facade, she was worried about Ashley complaining outside of the building and impacting their business.

"I don't think so. Thanks for the offer." She said.

A man walked down the corridor and between them blocking Suzanne & Ashley's view of one another, it was the man from 2 hours ago, the office worker wearing the shirt and tie, his tie was loose and his shirt slightly unbuttoned, he was sweating. Handing three stapled together pieces of paper to the receptionist, she took it from his hands.

"This is my appointment for friday same time next week. The 40x40 ft room this time, if you can." He explained whilst getting his breath back.

Suzanne smiled at the man "Satisfied customer are we?"

"Very satisfied ma'am, fantastic service." he had a big smile on his face, thoroughly overjoyed from the experience.

The receptionist handed a paper card to the man- "I've booked you in, sir. Please sign here." She handed him the card and placed a pen on the desk, it rolled for a few seconds to the right before the man gripped it in his fingers, signing his name and handing it back.

"Thank you" she replied. "See you next week."

He waved at her on his way out the front door.

 

"Holy fuck, her- her mug landed literally right on the cars behind us!" Jodie screamed whilst gripping Daniel who was driving the car. "You've got to move the car or we're next!"

"Jodie! Look." He pointed to the right out of the passenger window where Jodie was seated. The bright green eyes of the receptionist lady was looking at them, or it simply appeared so.

"You have no idea how fucking close we are to being caught, Ashley's palm isn't there. We have to stay still. It's not safe. There is nowhere for us to go, just sit tight." Daniel explained, trying to keep himself and Jodie calm.

Above they heard the extremely loud booming conversation of Ashley and Suzanne, struggling to interpret their words due to the noise levels, then another man started talking to the receptionist, a shadow passing over them as they saw the gigantic hands of the receptionist passing over their car, handing something to the man.

"Daniel, watch out!" Jodie screamed at the top of her lungs as a massive blue pen slammed 6 metres in front of their car, a loud plastic slapping noise errupting their ears, before they could catch their breath it began rolling in their direction like a boulder, intending to roll right over them. Daniel quickly set his gearbox into reverse, looking behind him and moving backwards as fast as possible. "Hold on!" he shouted as he spun the wheel around whilst swapping the gearbox into first in order to keep the momentum of the car whilst turning it around, was resulted however was an out of control spin as the car didn't stop facing forward and continued turning anti-clockwise. Slipping straight off the back of the desk.

The car was falling sideways, Jodie's car side door facing downwards, Daniel with his fantastic reflexes had managed to swing the car door open as it slipped off the edge, grabbing Jodies arm and pulling her with him out the top of the car as they fell downwards through the air. Daniel looked upwards as they were in free fall seeing the colossal hand gripping the pen and effortlessly lifting the object that almost crushed them. 

"DANIEL!!" Jodie screamed, Daniel assumed she was screaming as they were about to splat on the receptionists workstation, he turned to face downwards noticing that this is definitely not where their fate lies, dunking straight into a thick cold liquid, not falling deep into it as the thick balloon-like water bubbles held them up. Daniel looked up and around at the dazzling glass structure, looking straight up he was met with the underside of the receptionists chin, her red lipstick coated lips pursed together as she typed onto her monitor the details of an appointment. Noticing all the details of her face muscles, even the tiniest movements, including the one where her tongue extended out from her mouth whilst her lips were still pursed pushing between the two muscles and wetting the lips, her eyes fell downwards as she paused typing looking at Daniel and Jodie or more accurately, what Daniel & Jodie were inside.

 

As the office worker man headed out the front door successfully getting himself a second appointment at the Stress Suite- Ashley turned her focus back to Suzanne who had an even larger smirk on her face, further reinforcing her ego about the facility based on the review that the man gave to her about the service. Looking to her left at the receptionist who was drinking her water whilst looking at her monitor, she lowered the glass and coughed lightly. "Excuse me." she uttered without breaking focus from the monitor, not wanting to show any signs of slacking whilst the boss was in her prescence.

 

The glass they were in started to rise as they saw the palm and fingerprints pressing hard into the glass on the outside, causing the skin to change to a more yellowy colour from the pressure being exerted on the skin. The water they were in began to tip, both Daniel and Jodie were screaming at each other, frantically trying to save themselves in any way they could. Looking backwards in the direction the water was taking them in a 45 degree ramp they saw a colossal set of red bumpy muscles, right in the middle they parted revealing a mostly dark deep tunnel, but just barely they could see white pillars with shiny glints in their material. The water quickly dragged them with it as it slipped down the glass, going through the tunnel, Daniel fell through the water going directly in the tunnel whereas Jodie stayed level and crashed into the white pillars. They swirled around in a whirlpool before seeing each other, drenched and exhausted, they got one last glance of each other, in the brief 2 hours they had known each other and worked together, they had solace in that they were not alone in this terrible moment. Before they could think the whirlpool vanished beneath them and went flying to the back of the tunnel, dragging them across the slimey pink tongue, they both slipped straight into pitch black darkness down Cindy's oesophagus barreling downwards with the water stream towards her stomach acid where they would dissolve, never to see the light of day again.

 

Suzanne leaned against the desk on her right forearm, looking into Ashleys face. "Anyways. You have a good rest of your day." she said as she slapped her palm against the desk, timing it with the first "anyways" of her sentence for effect. Showing no sign of movement or breaking, she wasn't going to be able to put her palm back whilst the director was watching, she was a busy woman, what if she delayed her?

"On second thought, I'd like to book a second appointment." Ashley couldn't believe she was able to utter that after the intense argument she had with Suzanne earlier, kicking herself for even allowing the director to think that she was right.

"Wow, a change of heart so soon? Excellent. In that case." - "Cindy. Please give this woman access to the 50, at any time or day she wants." Suzanne was very amused by this outcome, an unexpected surprise but a welcome one. "You'll be a great addition to our customer base. I'll be seeing you in the future then, girlie." Suzanne lifted her mug and began sipping whilst walking back to her office.

 

Three cars who were also parked in anticipation of Ashley's palm listened to the conversation above, in front of them they had seen a giant mug crush two cars, making them extremely uneasy about staying parked but moving would get them nowhere and they knew it. They didn't have much time to survey the situation and make a decision as they heard talking above resume "ANYWAYS-" before they were crushed instantly by a massive hand, all the cars next to them also compressed straight into the flat wooden surface of the desk, the car mangling all the people inside the cars.

 

Cindy, the receptionist quickly prioritized Ashley's appointment at the request of the director, handing her paper and requesting a signature. Ashley used this moment to lean on the desk and inspect the status on the cars whilst writing, her eyes were incredibly close to the desk. She saw what appeared to be two flattened cars and others that were fine, but the doors were open and bodies were splayed out, the temperature must've killed them. Additionally on the right of that she saw three cars that were also flattened. She was upset by this development but she had to press forward, there were still plenty of cars on her left, unmoving. She handed the paper back to Cindy. She began typing again with her long red nails tip-tapping on the keys.

Ashley slyly placed her palm on the left of the desk, doing her idle fingernail tapping on the desk, the cars began pressing forwards many falling a small 6 feet down onto the cushioned palm below.

"Wednesday, 2pm. If you may."

"Consider it done, Miss Palmer. I'll see you then." Cindy smiled at her, sensing a genuine kindness in this woman, as if she cared about others, was she truly in on all of this and fine with it? maybe she liked to keep her head down and ignore it. But not Ashley, she was ready to deal with this since nobody else would, it was time to go.

The last two cars came speeding in as Ashley's palm took off into the air, the three people in the car crying out for her to wait, the pumped the breaks quickly stopping right before the edge of the desk and the deep drop to death below.

"Don't leave us behind!" The woman driving exited the vehicle, leaving her car door open whilst flailing her arms. "You were supposed to save us! Don't leave us! Come back-" SLAM, the woman and the car with the two passengers inside became instantly pancaked flat by four fingers side by side that had landed right on the edge of the desk. Ashley heard the loud thump on the wood, turning around to see the manicured red nailed fingers flat on the edge of the desk, the receptionist looking at where her hand landed, slowly lifting it up to her face, inspecting underneath. She squinted her eyes as her mouth opened wider in shock, her eyes darted up at Ashley and back down, doing a double take. She quickly stood up to her feet pointing straight at Ashley shouting-

"DON'T LET HER LEAVE!" the loud voice of the woman echoing across the room as everyone in the waiting room looked at her.

"Fuck" she thought as she began sprinting towards the door, pushing through a security guard.

"HEY!" he shouted as he picked up his walkie talkie, giving a status update to the employees and guards in the facility.

Jesse was parked out front eating a cheeseburger, his mouth was full as he saw Ashley sprinting towards the car "Hey, how'd it go?" he said whilst trying to chew at the same time. She forcefully opened the car door and jumped in, shouting "DRIVE JESSE!".

"What why?" he said with a bewildered expression his face, whilst watching a security guard pulling on Ashley's passenger door, but she locked it.

"Open the goddamn door!" he shouted whilst pulling harder and harder.

"Hey, get off my door, asshole!" he shouted before Ashley shouted in his face-

"JESSE JUST FUCKING DRIVE" 

"Fuck this." He said before reversing out and taking off down the road.

"What the fuck was that all about?" He said clearly angered by the situation that had just occurred.

"It's a really long story, get us back home right now." she said whilst gathering her breath.