- Text Size +

Prologue:

 

Being a teen hasn't been easy for Violet.  Not only is she dealing with the social awkwardness and confusion that comes with being a teenager, she is doing so while being a part of a superhero family and saving the world.  While it's not uncommon for very young children with superpowers to develop new powers it is almost unheard of for someone Violet's age...

 

While studying in her room Violet quite unexpectedly discovered she had done what everyone said was impossible, she had a new power...growth.  She better get this new power under control or else her teenage years have just gotten a lot harder...

 

 

Chapter 1: A simple Demonstration 

 

"Are you kidding me? She's just a kid, not a monster! What you are suggesting...What you are suggesting makes you the only monsters I see here!" -Helen Parr



---With the supers out in the open again it was only a matter of time before Violet's new power came under the notice of the authorities.  Violet's was a special case; not only because of her age when this happened, but also because her power to grow was the first recorded example of this specific ability and her control and limits using this power had yet to be measured.

 

The Parr family was contacted and asked if Violet would perform a "demonstration" at an abandoned industrial park adjoining the military base outside the city. The location was secluded and access to the surrounding area would be restricted.  One of her parents would, of course, supervise and a representative from both the civil government and military would be in attendance.  The reason given for this unusual request was to assess any potential risk this new power may have to the public.

 

----------

 

A member of the mayor's staff and the base garrison commander stood motionless in the shadow of the colossal teen. Violet stood well over 100ft and may have continued to grow if not stopped by a shout from Violet's mother, Helen.  

 

"That'll do Vi." 

 

Helen, who had insisted on attending this meeting over her husband's objections, had been closely watching the representatives; trying to read the smallest change in their expressions as the demonstration proceeded. Her fear was that if Violet grew too large these two representatives may become terrified and make their final decision based out of immediate fear and not the facts. Bias for your child comes with being a mother but Helen knew that Vi was a sweet kid...even if she was as big as a ten story building. 

 

The general and the staff member stood silent. Helen's mind raced; if they decided she is a danger what would they do? The silence was finally broken much to Helen's relief.

 

"Extraordinary!" A barely audible whisper was heard.

 

The questions quickly followed on at a rapid pace and were both thoughtful and reasonable.  Considering these men's responsibility was the public's safety Helen took these questions as seriously as possible.  

 

"Is that her full height?"

 

"Is her strength commiserate with her size?"

 

"How long can she stay that way?"

 

Helen answered the questions as far as her knowledge allowed. She didn't know how big Violet could get and Violet didn't know either.  Pertaining to the question of strength, the numerous pieces of their home's furniture that had been accidentally crushed along with her husband's ridiculous game of 'catch' with a railroad boxcar was proof enough that Violet's strength grew along with her size. 

 

Soon the two representatives began quietly speaking between themselves.  Helen shifted her attention back to Violet. Painfully shy even under ideal circumstances, Helen could see how uncomfortable Violet had become.  Although Violet was at the moment a giant it was obvious to Helen that it was Violet who actually felt helpless and small; on a stage and under a magnifying glass with no control.  The sooner they could finish this demonstration and get Vi out of the spotlight the better!  

 

Helen turned back to the representatives, she strained to hear what they were saying and what she heard shocked her to the core. They were discussing "numerous applications" using terms such as: "civil and military defense,"  "aggressive foreign intervention," and "domestic suppression." The realization that this was more than a simple demonstration for the sake of safety was a deafening scream in Helen's mind.  

 

Try as she might, Helen's furious objections and accusations were ignored.  The demeanor of the men changed so abruptly she had to question even if they were who they claimed to be.  What was their real objective?  Helen was left with no answers as the two men left, still speaking of the unimaginable possibilities...