Remembrance of the Depthborn by Viper07
Summary:

There were few things in the cosmos the cosmic Ruler Cathay could have prepared for. Once she was the most feared being across creation, known by gods of all sizes, and devils of every caliber. There were none who dared face her. Now though, after having spent four months away from her kingdom, her throne, living as a human, she's come to learn that there are some things even she couldn't have forseen. Recalling her ancient past, as well thinking of her future upon the measly planet, Earth, there is no telling which way her story may turn. 

No matter how old or powerful you may think yourself to be, change comes from where you may least expect it. 

A sequel to the story "Love in the Depths"


-This story is completed-



Be sure to check out the other writers of Eldritch Sweethearts 


Categories: Giantess, Object, Adult 30-39, Crush, Destruction, Fantasy, Feet, Lesbians, Violent, Vore Characters: None
Growth: Giant (31 ft. to 50 ft.), Giga (1 mi. to 100 mi.), Mega (501 ft. to 5279 ft.), Tera (101 mi and up)
Shrink: Doll (12 in. to 6 in.), Lilliputian (6 in. to 3 in.), Minikin (3 in. to 1 in.)
Size Roles: F/f, F/m
Warnings: Following story may contain inappropriate material for certain audiences
Challenges: None
Series: Eldritch Sweethearts
Chapters: 10 Completed: Yes Word count: 90429 Read: 8880 Published: April 13 2023 Updated: August 21 2023

1. Chapter 1: Primordial Recollection by Viper07

2. Chapter 2: Divine Evolution by Viper07

3. Chapter 3: Chains of the Hierarchy by Viper07

4. Chapter 4: Unbound and Unbroken by Viper07

5. Chapter 5: Rising Succession by Viper07

6. Chapter 6: Dream's End by Viper07

7. Chapter 7: Calamitous Ramifications by Viper07

8. Chapter 8: Hear My Call by Viper07

9. Chapter 9: Heed My Words by Viper07

10. Chapter 10: Mending by Viper07

Chapter 1: Primordial Recollection by Viper07
Author's Notes:

In the dawning of creation a new spark of life is witnessed by one of the firstborn of creation

In the pitch black, lightless void of space stood a single planet long separated from any other planetary body. A hellish terrain plagued by fire and decay, an all too common sight in a reality so young it had yet to be truly born. There were no concepts that defined space and time, life and death. There were no rules which established structure, no order which made sense of the insanity that was primordial existence. 


There was only chaos. Devastation of such a cosmic scale that it would serve to baffle even an infinite mind.  


Upon every world, fire and destruction, but this singular planet stood free of the rest, different, as upon its surface laid an ocean of crimson water. The lifeblood of one unfortunate soul caught in the unending carnage seen through the early cosmos. A titanic being whose body covered more than half of the planet's surface, digging into the primordial crust of one of the first worlds. Shattered bones and misshapen flesh torn, whatever had killed this once grotesque being did so through might even greater than something nearly planetary in scale. 


An act of territorial aggression? Or perhaps something more malicious? 


Likely, it did not matter. 


Their blood had flowed all the same, flooding the hellish world in an apocalyptic wave of life altering gore. An ocean of what was once part of the living, now intermingled with the chaos of a world so close to the primordial state preceding creation. 


And from this very sea born of another's decay tore free a creature of brutality and rage. A horror not birthed of the fallen entity's blood, but rather summoned by the global scale of slaughter present, having ripped through the thin veil that separated its domain with that of the cosmos. All it had required was the essence of something greater, the scent, to know where to breach into the burning landscape that served as the singular grave for an apocalyptic abomination.


A reptilian beast of the Deep Wastes, a drake feared even in its own territory. A vicious predator that was one of the first to develop their physical form while others across the tapestry of creation struggled to even hold on to their flicker of identity


The creature rose, a mite in the mere shadow of the ungodly corpse yet unbothered by its presence. Its maw opened, releasing a cacophony of maddening chitters that resonated across the entire planet and bled the dark sky above. It flailed its four limbs in rage-fueled insanity, cutting through the air with dreadfully sharp claws that extended to resemble spears, or perhaps daggers of unknowable composition. It gnashed its teeth without reason, snarling and hissing at anything which may be a threat, viewing all things through blood red eyes.  


They could feel the iridescent flames of the world around them. Sense the overwhelming presence of the corpse god behind it, their blood having drawn the horror here. With more than just their eyes they witnessed the cruel fate of the being which towered above the sky and blanketed the world in death. Such a grand finale for something so mighty. Why, it almost made one wish to dine upon the faltering form. 


Almost


There was no telling how many more had caught the scent of dead divinity, even one as malformed as this cretin. 


Rearing up, the beast howled towards the pitch black sky of the crimson, hellish planet, challenging any nearby to face it. Its obsidian, skeleton-like visage reflected the indescribable flames of the surrounding world, shining off colors that could not, should not, exist. 


The creature threw itself into the bloodied sea, thrashing about in displays of aggression, flaring in a manner of intimidation should any foe decide to test their luck against it. They flailed within the ocean, their limbs moving in such an unnatural manner it was strange to think this creature was even alive, aware of the pain any lesser creature might put themselves through by dislocating and reattaching their own extremities. Though what was living in a reality as young as this?


They waited and waited, never ceasing in their apparent madness fueled by a desire to kill, until finally they came to understand that there was no one on this planet to fight. Nothing to hunt down or consume. Besides the corpse which cast half on the world in its shadow there was nothing worth drawing its attention.


And so the charade ended, and the beast grew silent as it opened its maw to allow for something akin to a yawn. Really, it was more akin to gargles choking on blood. Gruesome, yet leading into strange patience not often displayed by drakes of such ferocity. 


Laying down within the sea of blood, the black scaled beast licked the wounds of its boney arms, keeping them clean of the wounds received from actual challengers. Competitors and warriors within the Depths, its home, who fought with whatever advantage they possessed to rise above the rest of their fellow rabble.


There were a few close calls that nearly ended in loss. They knew what defeat meant, even for an era where death was yet a concept to fear. Their were fates far worse than death, and for one who had yet to evolve, vulnerability of any sort needed to be dealt with before it was too late. Though the bones that made up this beast's body were sturdy, they could not last forever in battle. After a few hundred skirmishes they may even begin to grow brittle. 


And should they fall because of such a weakness then they’re likely to be consumed not long after defeat. Their form, their strength and power, serving their murderer, evolving them, making them far greater than they could become on their own. 


Only the strongest may survive the Depths, an ephemeral truth that was engraved into the very being of every Depthborn alive. From the youngest Whelp to the mightiest of Devourers. All knew this. All understood and accepted this fact of life which governed even the most minor of movements. This Drake especially, one of the last few to go unevolved in the fetal cosmos, understood the vulnerability they were forced to endure. While the rest of their kind gorged themselves happily, maddeningly, this one searched for the means to advance their strength. 


But though their might was lacking compared to their greater kin for now they still held superior strength in different traits. 


While the rest were free to spread across the cosmos and bleed both it and themselves dry, this one Beast knew that patience was a valuable asset to possess when wishing to grow. There was only failure for those who charged head first into battle, directly off of the wounds from a conflict prior. Only the foolish battled endlessly, seeking to stave off an inexhaustible hunger for destruction born of the need to survive through strength alone. The Beast could not blame its kind, however. 


It was their nature to challenge all things regardless of chances of victory. An intrinsic part of their being that had resided within each and every depthborn since the very beginning of their vicious kingdom. 


They needed to battle to survive, it was as simple as that. And though a basic truth, it was tiring for the extremely rare few that actually became aware of their own misgivings. 


For this intelligent Depthborn, the unending clashes were quickly growing bothersome and problematic. While there were not a great many things it could focus on other than combat, even in a fledgling cosmos there was a desire for aught else. A break in between the never ending bloodshed. The Depthborn Drake was one of the first of its domain to develop such thoughts, not growing disgusted by the necessity of violence but wishing for some other means of advancement. 


Whereas others in the Depth lashed out in aggression, using their unrefined, unfathomable forms to inflict grievous wounds on all opposition, this lone outcast waited while others acted in its place. It plotted; observing and analyzing, biding time until it was ready to attack. An ambush predator that would have seemed cowardly for its actions, but knew better than most how to make use of a golden opportunity when it presented itself. 


The chances of when it should strike. Its intellect was keen, second to so very few in an era this early. Even without the concepts of space and time, allowing for form and the shaping of potential, the Beast had managed to force onto itself a physical body through only its will power. If it had not it would be an even more chaotic mess than it already was.  


The lone invader was a powerful creature indeed. Not the mightiest within its domain, but still more so than the godly corpse that had inevitably summoned it. 


A terrifying thought to be sure, made even worse when one took into account how in the dawning of creation there were already a great many remarkable beings who dwarfed this godly carcass in both size and power. Denizens of the Depths among those numbers, of course, but those of other domains as well. Kingdoms that have yet to give themselves name and reason, but persisted in their efforts to exist. A respectable effort.


Pointless when faced with such cruel opposition, but respectable. Exceptional beings all, each worthy prey in their own right. But that was an effort to be made elsewhere, hunts yet to come for when the clarity of this brief moment of serenity has passed. 


As the beast licked their wounds clean they looked upon the sky of the desolate world, gazing off into the void with blood tinged vision, feeling the cold that came where no light, no life, could be found. Another form of peace, the chilling silence of nonexistence, reminiscent of the primordial chaos that had yet to be refined, allowing all for all possible things to transpire while simultaneously allowing for nothing of significance to occur. 


That is, until the silence soon came to be interrupted by… something new. 


The appearance was sudden, blinding even to a Drake who has seen countless, undying worlds set on eternal fire. Yet even blinded, the Beast knew of the radiance it was witness tot. Slowly at first, they stood but before crawling towards the corpse god’s body with speed that betrayed its own impressive size. While a mite compared to the corpse, it still proved a remarkably large monstrosity, each thunderous footfall creating waves within the crimson sea. They leapt forward, landing upon and scaling the mountainous body with ease, using their terrible claws to move from torn flesh to exposed bone. Never once did they take the time to dine upon the gargantuan body before them despite the boons they may develop, only caring for the incredible sight beyond. 


They ascended as far as the broken body could allow them, scaling until they came to a stop upon an exposed rib larger than any natural mountain it had seen. There, so close to the Void of space, they saw it. 


The first of its kind, younger than the Beast but possessing grandeur not seen elsewhere in an unfathomable, undefined existence.

  

A star, the first to be made, forged by some god, devil, or something perhaps greater. With it came space, and by extension definition of form. Refinement of not just the cosmos's design but also of those who once could not maintain their own identities, the Depthborn Drake included. Though they were among the first to force their form into stability, it was through their own willpower that it needed to be maintained. Now, with the concept of space having come into existence, such effort was no longer needed. 


Focus no longer needed to be maintained, but such freedom did not rise to the forefront of the creature’s thoughts. Instead, they found themselves transfixed upon the star. A small, weak, fragile thing possibly made by one even smaller and weaker yet still capable of possessing a beauty not seen elsewhere within the cosmos. Enough magnificence that even a beast of the Depths, intelligent though it may be, found its own natural instincts of destruction suppressed when faced with such a sight. 


Even when other stars began to flood the once pitch black void, all greater than the first, the Beast was only captivated by the one. 


A sun formed over the planet of the corpse god, bathing the world in light and granting onto it another new concept; life. 


True life, one that rises and falls like the tide of an ocean, not the chaotic existence that was early totality. With life, eventually, came time. The passing of centuries, millennia, coming and going in the blink of an eye as the paralyzing star continued to persist. Civilization, generations, all passed by before unblinking eyes as the body of the corpse god decayed over the course of, to the Depthborn Drake, mere moments. 


Life flourished around the once grim body and its sole visitor, both having come to be buried underneath beneath miles of planetary crust as time went on. Even when completely submerged beneath the planet's surface, however, the Beast continued to live, motionless, starved of its instincts yet still kept at bay, only ever needing to know of the star's presence to persist in their obsession. 


Such beauty had rendered its mind numb, and its nature dulled. Only when the star finally did die out, as all things eventually do now that true life had flourished across the cosmos, cultivated by divinity, did the petrification break. 


Only then did it become clear as to what had happened. Vulnerability exploited, and obsession turned disadvantageous. Hundreds of millions of years passed while the Primordial Beast remained unchanged, kept from the evolution it sought. What stranger wonders to have had their mind so engrossed in something that fizzled out so easily, lightyears away and offering nothing of value.. 


Tearing through the planet's surface, no longer bound as it had been before, the Beast turned its sights back onto the planet. No longer hellish, one might even call the celestial sphere beautiful. Its blackened sky had been replaced with one of luminous blue, reflecting the once crimson sea that had allowed for the Beast to breach in a now ancient past. The fires of abstract colors that once blanketed the planet’s surface were now replaced by fields of lush green and red, as well as  forests that fathered many wondrous species, and mountains that offered homes to those able to live within them. 


Early civilization proved as primitive as one might expect, being as young as they were. Still, they knew well enough to make use of their world’s resources, living in harmony with the planet rather than taking more than needed. 


A certain improvement over the state the bloodied world was once, yet still nothing compared to the star that proved all too captivating. No obsession would be found here, and thus no vulnerability would be exploited. 


Those with a quality for such growth would even admit that there was a certain radiance to be found here. Unfortunately that did little to sway the terror from the Depths, now a beast old enough to be considered a Primordial of its kind. A proto-Depthborn, some might say. 


Old instincts emerged upon witnessing the flourishing but young civilization. Hunger was chief among any emotion, as they had not dined in a millennium and the flesh of the corpse which once blanketed this planet had well and truly decayed away by this point. Though small, rodent sized compared to the beast that had emerged before them, these little creatures that tried to forge their own destinies would have to suffice for now. 


At least until the Proto-Drake could return to the cosmos and rejoin the bloodshed. It had eons of effort and work that needed to be caught up on.


To all that witnessed the form of the emerging monstrosity, their sanity shattered at a meager glance. The mind was the first to fall for those closest to the emergence. Failing to comprehend that which had existed since before the dawning of space and time. Why, the mere presence of the Beast seemed to warp reality, turn it foul to mirror its own innate aggression. The light itself shrank away, seemingly fleeing this horrible creature that would seek to snuff it out had they a physical body to attack. Those closest were the lucky millions that did not suffer long, unlike those who were further away and only managed to make out the growing silhouette on the horizon. 


They feel into madness, not granted the mercy of a quick death, unable to accept the reality that was this horror’s existence yet still managing to maintain their own faculties just long enough to turn upon one another in an orgy of indescribably frenzy, ripping apart loved ones and offspring with equal thirst for carnage. 


Even those that did not witness the creature’s emergence on the opposite end of the globe fell to their knees in despair when the rising nightmare sounded a soul crushing roar that instilled despair without description; fear that attacked more than the mind and soul, going beyond base horror. 


Having existed since before the dawning of time, the Deep Drake Beast still possessed qualities which defied the now forming laws of reality. Their existence, along with the existence of those who had lived as long as they, was an affront to the now establishing nature of totality. They could not be quantified in terms that would satisfy a sane mind, nor could they be reasoned with by even a frenzied and maniacal intellect. They stood beyond that even in this simplistic evolutionary form.


As they had suspected, even if hundreds of millions of years had passed, their temporary serenity was but a momentary distraction from the carnage needed to grow. Even more so now that it was likely left behind by stronger, more formidable kin. Thankfully no other Depthborn had found this world despite there being a tear to take advantage of. A stroke of fortune as now the Proto-Drake could take onto itself all that this civilization could be. Their future, their potential, it would take both for itself, harnessing such tormented power for desired ascension. 


They would serve as a remarkable stepping stone. 


The Depthborn Drake’s first roar tore the populace into a sniveling, cowardly mess that didn’t even know their own names, had they any to begin with that is. 


The second pierced the sky above, shattering the star which granted life to their small, little world. 


And as all fell to ruin once more, reminiscent of the old age before conception, the last many saw was the rising claw of a beast their mind could not fully comprehend. 


A silhouette of some wingless dragon that had risen from the earth to devour them all. 


***


So much time had passed since such early beginnings. Enough that so many more noteworthy events have occurred before the very eyes of the Depthborn Drake. Gods have risen and fallen along with the pantheons and domains they ruled over, all possessing names so old they are lost to even the most ancient of histories. 


Yet not one… not a single one, had ever been worth remembering. 


So why was it that now, at the strangest point of her life, did Cathay recall events of her own impossibly ancient past?


She had never given them thought before, letting ancient history remain only as such. There was no cause to think of the past, just as there had never been a reason to think of a future up until now. Nostalgia carried no weight for one such as Cathay, amounting to little more than a passing thought that was about as useless as the vast majority of apes on this speck of a planet called Earth. 


Cathay was confused


So much so that she hadn't even realized her own hair was being pulled. 


"Oh, wooow, this is a new record." Valerie said with a tinge of astonishment, the red head looking at her godlike girlfriend with surprise. Gazing into the glossed over, molten eyes of the cosmic being, they found that they had grown lost in thought once again. An increasing event that wasn’t getting any easier to handle. 


Initially believing they had just become keenly focused on their shared movie, a romcom horror Valerie had suggested, it wasn't until after the feature had finished did she see Cathay's demeanor hadn't changed a bit. "Should I get the spray bottle again?"


Snapping back to reality, the Ruler of the Depths tore her hair free from the female human's fingers. "You will do no such thing!"


With a chuckle, Valerie poked at the goddess's cheek, glad to see their senses had returned and uncaring of the danger they posed to their well-being. "I don't knoooow, you were really out of it this time. Almost a full hour. Was thinking i’d need some ice to wake you up.~"


Rolling her eyes, Cathay forced Valerie's hand away from her cheek with a simple motion of her index finger. An invisible force forced the human back, away from further annoying the mighty Ruler. From even this short distance they had time to admire their dear human's beauty. From their emerald green eyes, to their auburn hair. It was strange to think something as simple as a human could be so captivating. Several centuries back such thoughts would have been an impossibility, as was the prospect of ever being intimate with an ape. 


But then again, Valerie was no mere human. At least not in Cathay’s eyes. She was… special. 


Thus it came as no wonder that it was Valerie's exceptional looks which gave Cathay the idea behind her own human visage. A disguise, one that’s been tampered with, shaped, and structured over eons but only now has found real purpose. Taller and fiercer in terms of appearance when compared to lesser Earth females, Cathay wouldn’t deny that was stunning. Vanity was not lost upon her. Yet she would still be the first to admit that her precious human still triumphed in terms of beauty. 


A true diamond in the rough that was her insignificant species.


Valerie was a wonderful example of mankind's qualities in regards to their physical allure, a trait which still perplexed her despite having been with the human for some time now. That beauty remained even if they were currently working to test the almighty Tyrant's patience. 


Cathay's annoyance slowly gave way to a rather warm grin, and with the same invisible force used before they brought Valerie closer, placing a gentle kiss upon their forehead. "You are incredibly fortunate I find you endearing."


"You know you love it~." Valerie crossed her legs, getting comfortable as she placed herself upon her girlfriend’s lap. “Can deny it all you want but you’re an easy lady to read.”


The two shared the couch to watch their movie, wearing nothing but their own pajamas, and had agreed to keep on going until they both fell asleep. Such a mundane, admittedly pointless activity was normally beneath the most feared being within the Depths. Even less as she was an almighty Ruler of the cosmos. 


And yet there was strange enjoyment to be found in something so simple. 


While initially reluctant to admit it, these four months since leaving her domain have been rather fun. Was that the right word for this…? Fun? Cathay didn’t think such a thing was possible beyond pre-planned destruction, as hopelessly sad a thought that may be. Rather unexpectedly, it was Valerie’s teasing and often carefree demeanor the Ruler found most wonderful. To know what the person she was with truly was and yet still possess such a lovely smile. It defied all reason. Such an incredible display of either foolish naivety or brave idiocy. 


Sure, it grew annoying at times, but in many ways Cathay found herself enjoying these aspects of this new life of hers. 


It was admittedly tranquil compared to lording over her domain. A plane of existence that has existed as long as she has, and thus for the longest time had been the only thing Cathay knew. Death. Destruction. Chaos. All things that were naturally engraved within every cell of her being, yet being pushed aside by such fluffy feelings. 


Cathay wondered if she was getting sick.


Could a Ruler even GET sick!?. 


"So, what were you thinking about?" Valerie asked as she laid herself down, making use of her girlfriend’s taller size to treat them as bed. 


A rather crooked bed that sat up straight, but a bed all the same. 


"Anything interesting this time? Few Depthborn baddies coming up on the surface again? Should I give Gilah a call to take care of it?"


Cathay's body seized upon hearing that name. "No, no, there's no need to bother her…" 


She didn't wish to place any worry upon her old companion’s shoulders. Strong though they were, one of the strongest of this newer generation of Depthborn, this was not an issue that needed to be forced upon them. 


Besides, seeing the younger leviathan, after what Cathay had put them through over the year prior, would make for an awkward conversation. Something best avoided by everyone if able. 


Noticing the Ruler's reluctance Valerie smiled knowingly. 


She was aware of Cathay's old feelings towards her age-old friend, Gilah. Affection that wasn't returned, and instead was given to a human. An act which no doubt greatly wounded the Ruler’s pride. And to make matters even more complicated, Gilah’s own mate was the  youngest of the Armitage household, Valerie's own brother, Jason. 


To see those two again, after having caused them so much trouble, would just be something Cathay wasn’t capable of handling. And given her vast range of seemingly endless power, such a thing was concerning. 


Valerie would not push them towards such a route. Cathay needed time, patience, before seeing them again. "Then what's got you so messed up, Hon?" She asked instead, once more pulling at the Ruler's hair. Again, Cathay had to keep the human’s hands away from her, actually prying them off herself, otherwise it wouldn't be long before the braiding began. 


Long and unkempt at this time of night, Cathay would much rather leave her hair as is thank you very much. 


Already, the bold human had made attempts at dyeing the platinum blonde locks, even going so far as to try and change the green highlights within. It was quite the task to talk Valerie down from such actions once her mind was set upon them, even for one as feared as Cathay..


"Nothing of any real concern." The Ruler assured her little mate. "Just remembering some old history. Hardly anything worth recalling though. Memories, and nothing more.”


Valerie's head cocked slightly to the side, thinking on what sort of memories someone as old as Cathay might possess. "They wouldn't really be so pointless if you're remembering them though" She reasoned. "I don’t think nostalgia works that way."


“A pointless emotion, wasted on the Depthborn” Cathay replied, a tad but too quickly for Valerie’s liking. There was no hesitation in the retort, and perhaps even a hint of venom within. As though the denial of such a thing was despised. 


It was enough to throw them back slightly. A motion that was quickly noticed by the Tyrant of the Deep. Mentally cursing herself, she had forgotten to refrain from such comments. They could not be helped, such hate of something so simple being natural to her. Even now, after having given in to so many lesser emotions and living as a human to the best of her ability, such fondness of the past seemed ludicrous.


Cathay would never understand how Gilah could look upon such traits so favorably, or how Valerie expected anything less from the Ruler. But upon looking at the human’s concerned face, Cathay found herself racked with… guilt? 


Regret?


She truly must be coming down with some form of illness. 


“My apologies… I seemed to have lost my temper there for a moment.” Like the tide, the Ruler of the Depths could turn from a gentle wave to an angered tsunami, threatening all in its path. A fact Valerie had seen more than a few times in only four short months. 

 

Yet despite that level of danger Cathay posed to her, she remained honest and faithful to her chosen beloved. It was… odd.


Once more, Cathay remembered the star that had kept her transfixed for so long. Looking back on it now, she found it embarrassing to think something so small could ever hold her captive, even through beauty. Comparing it to Valerie now, a member of a race so small and weak that it had no right to exist in the same cosmos as her, and finding themselves captivated once more by their radiance, the cosmic Tyrant couldn't help but smile at the irony of having repeated history. 


"It was a star," Cathay finally answered. "The very first to be born, back when creation was still young…"


"...or rather, younger," there was still time aplenty for the cosmos to grow, a few billion years was hardly anything even now. 


That said, after all this time, to remember something such as that seemed so strange. Especially for her. "As I said, it's of no value."


"You really expect me to believe that?" Valerie wasn't buying into the statement. From what she could tell in the brief time she's known Cathay, nothing was ever that simple. Especially when it was in regards to someone as old as her. Still, there'd be nothing to gain from asking further if they did not wish to answer. "Guess it doesn’t matter enough then… must’ve been an incredible thing to remember though.." 


The Ruler thought back onto the memory before shaking her head. "It could hardly be considered special. Though it was the first that did not give it greater value over those that offered brighter light, or greater warmth. Truly an unremarkable ball of plasma." 


Speech like that never failed to remind Valerie that, despite wearing the skin of one, Cathay was by no means human. She was beyond that, far more ancient than any of the gods mankind worshiped, and leagues more powerful than most things dreamed up of a limited mind. 


That did not however mean she was unaware of humane displays of affection.


Taking Valerie’s hands into her own Cathay squeezed affectionately, never taking her eyes off of her dear human. "That said, no star in this universe or any other could ever hope to match your beauty."


Valerie fell silent as a blush formed upon her cheeks. There was that tide like personality again. An angered tsunami that calmed into a gentle wave. Despite their temperament their behavior could at times be admittedly sweet. Far from the terror known across the viewable universe and beyond. 


While their initial encounter was less than pleasant, with the towering form of Cathay's more haunting form having nearly crushed the human underneath their bare foot, Valerie had come to learn that the Ruler could be genuinely kind past any moments of anger or irritation. Like a human in many ways, only far more complex. After all, what creature of man could wipe out a solar system with a thought? 


It wasn’t long before Valerie found herself chuckling at the comment. "Oh wow… that is so…" Soft giggles soon gave way to full on laughter as Valerie couldn't help handle how cheesy Cathay's praise was. "Lame! Like, Oh my God Cath! That suuuuucked!"


Rather than grow embarrassed by the sudden teasing, the Tyrant of the Depths smiled, having already expected such a reaction. In truth, she had hoped for it. "Did it now? And here I was led to believe by these ‘informative’ features that such praise was enjoyed.” She played along. “Is that not the case? Could humanity, in their oh so magnificent understanding of emotions, have led me astray?~” 


“Assholes like that stuff, Cath. Or prissy little princesses!” Valerie explained, trying her best to keep her laughter at bay. “Do I look like some princess to you? A damsel that needs saving?” 


Valerie rested her arm over her forehead, feigning vulnerability which served to earn a soft chuckle from Cathay. The human’s nose scrunched in disgust. Even acting out something so cringe inducing was just… “Blegh!” 


Cathay snickered. “Blegh?” 


“Yeah… Blegh!


The Ruler didn’t think it possible for her to be amused by a human in such a way. Valerie was an oddity, even more so than her younger brother. Both highly resistant to the mind breaking power she and other beasts like her possessed despite only being human, meaning there was no worry of exerting too much of her near-infinite might. 


With that said, such action wasn’t really necessary as Valerie cared little for such displays, choosing to focus more on the woman in front of her rather than their godly powers. 


“You’re not ‘blegh’, are you Cath?” She asked with an all too innocent smile. There have been several who Valerie has dated that have used similar lines of adoration. Terrible, nearly every single one of them. 


“I don’t believe so, no.” She’d lived a long life. Far longer than the gods and devils so many worshiped and feared on this measly planet. Yet it wasn’t often Cathay was spoken to on such strange terms. More than equals, she treated Valerie as though she were a fellow goddess. Perhaps in her eyes she truly was. 


Usually Cathay was seen through eyes glazed over in terror and madness, feared by all but the most powerful or foolish. To not have any of that seen in a meager little mammal was a strange yet welcome change of pace that she was slowly growing used to. 


Valerie scooted forward, returning her girlfriend’s previous kiss with one on the cheek. “Good. Then you’re already better than those assholes.” 


The human sighed in satisfaction, at peace despite the danger of the being she laid upon. Neither she nor Cathay were uncomfortably, enjoying the feeling of their bodies against each other. What an addicting feeling this was, to love and be loved by someone so powerful. Valerie won’t lie and say she understood everything about Cathay.


The things she said or the domain she lorded over. But what she did know was that she was perhaps one of the few things in the universe that could ever bring them comfort of this level. 


There was a special sort of pride to be had in that. 


Reaching down to the floor, Valerie searched for the remote to the TV, looking to continue the pair’s movie marathon now that she had Cathay’s focus. “So, we didn’t get much from the romcom, but how about just a straight horror movie? No jokes, no comedy, just non-stop horror?” She suggested. “You seem like the type of gal who’d enjoy that sort of terror.”


It didn’t really matter what sort of film was chosen. Though Cathay knew that Valerie tried to find something they both enjoyed, the truth was movies didn’t really have any lasting affect on her. When you’ve seen what the entirety of creation has to offer, seen things not even the greatest minds could imagine, very few things had a lasting impression. 


That said, she’d follow through with whatever her dear human wished for. “Normally I prefer being the terror people run from. “Cathay explained with an almost wicked grin, licking her lips as she recounted the countless civilizations she’s burned in the last millennium alone. As she wrapped an arm around Valerie, a wing followed not long after, covering the two women and doing away with the need for any blankets. “But if you wish to watch something like that then by all means. Choose anything you desire.”


Unlike the horrible pickup line before, it was actions such as this which really worked for Valerie. Not bar level passes or gifts like chocolates and flowers, though the former would be a really great snack right now. 


It was showcases of simple intimacy like this which truly worked for the eldest of the Armitage family. 


Oh? Anything you say?~” Valerie’s bite down on her tongue upon hearing that, keeping herself under control while she was still able. Her demeanor changed to one of longing as she placed a hand upon Cathay’s thigh, slowly working her way inward. “Anything at all?~


Cathay knew that look. In only four short months she had come to expect such a sight every so often throughout the week. At least once or thrice, at times even six before Valerie has had her fill of ‘fun’. Like them, Valerie was a ravenous beast who found pleasure in games that others would certainly find strange. Extremely off putting in some cases.


 A true beast in the sheets, and one that was bound to go lurking at the slightest hint of arousal. Even one as powerful as the Ruler of the Depths found her breathing growing staggered the closer Valerie got to her intimacy. 


How about something like… last week?” Valerie questioned as she massaged the innermost area of the goddess’s thigh, so close to glory yet just away from the very edge, wondering how far she could take the all powerful being. This was where the true beauty of their relationship lied. Being able to force someone of such a level of power onto their knees with only the smallest bit of temptation. A treat they’d be begging for with the right amount of coercion. 


It went well beyond simply feeling divine. There were no words to describe such a sensation. “Give it to me straight Cath… you enjoyed being doll sized last week, didn’t you? While I worked my tongue between those lovely legs of yours?~” 


In an age long past, Cathay would have found it embarrassing to have been made a drooling mess by a human. More so when said human was a giant compared to her, having suggested, or rather ordered, the supposedly feared Tyrant to shrink down to the size of a little doll. 


The type you’d find for children


It was embarrassing… and yet incredibly invigorating. 


Valerie was more fierce than any cosmic king or queen in existence when push came to shove. And when in bed, there were none in creation who would dare give her an order. Cathay believed that whole heartedly. There were very few, practically no one, who could likely make the Tyrant squeal the way Valerie could. 


Worthy of being their new obsession. 


Their new shining star. 


There was no effort to return to the movies the two had planned to watch throughout the night. Something far more interesting had reared its little head, and both were more than willing to take advantage of this opportunity. 


“Cathay tried to keep her composure, her own face flushed red as she bit her lower lip in an attempt to maintain some form of faltering decency. “Let’s say that I did enjoy being such a ridiculous size. Were we to do anything n-now…ahh…” Valerie’s nails dug into the Ruler’s thigh, forcing a little moan from between their lips. “W-wo… wouldn’t that… get in the way of o-our movies…?” 


Valerie smiled, the desire to toy with the cosmic queen already outweighing every other flick she had prepared for them this night. “Who gives a fuck about some movies?” 


There was no stopping her once she got like this. Even one with the capability to do nearly anything they could think of would find themselves held down by their wrists at the hands of a lascivious Valerie. Thankfully Cathay had no intention of stopping her, allowing their dear mate the chance to bite into her neck. Guiding the Ruler onto their back, Valerie slipped her hand past the waistband of their pajama pants, possessing no desire to wait around with foreplay. 


She may as well skip to the fun part. 


Regardless of Cathay’s ancient past and the struggles she had faced, the present proved rather lovely despite having never been with anyone on this level of intimacy. Nothing of this sort of value existed within the Depths. Not in the present, and certainly not in the past. Love… was a weakness so easily exploited. 


But fuck if it didn’t feel incredible…


With Cathay’s presence on this little world, the Depths would no doubt be making their attempts at invading. It couldn’t be helped. It was their nature after all, to travel across creation and destroy whatever it is they came across. It was their way. 


Thankfully, for now, nothing too threatening would rear its ugly head. Mere pests compared to the greater horrors the domain had to offer. It was nothing that required immediate action. And even if it was, Cathay doubted whether or not she’d be able to intervene if she so wished to.


Something told her Valerie wasn’t going to be gentle


Good…

She preferred it when her Star was rough…






End Notes:

Here we are, back again, with another new addition to Eldritch Sweethearts. Right off the heels of Love in the Depths too. Took my time with this one. Turns out, it's hard to picture a young cosmology in this kind of setting. 


Who knew?



You know how this works, leave a rating and review if you enjoyed. And check out the other writers of Eldritch Sweethearts. 
Do it
Seriously 
HOW MANY DO ITS DO I GOTTA-



 



WHY ARE YOU STILL HERE CATH!? APRIL FOOLS ALREADY PASSED!

Chapter 2: Divine Evolution by Viper07
Author's Notes:

Evolution is a strange thing. Sometimes we aren't the ones who decide how we grow. 

Shambling awake, Cathay needed to resist the urge to move the solar system’s sun just a smidgen away from the Earth. A few lightyears for only a few minutes more. Maybe a day at most. Certainly not enough time for anyone on the planet to freeze over. At least that’s what the Ruler believed in her groggy, barely awake state of mind. Such belief that that was the proper course of action was only reinforced once light began to shine through the window of the bedroom, from behind closed curtains and directly into Cathay’s eyes. 


Such slumber was still new to her. Nothing this peaceful had ever really been known to the Lord of the Deep Wastes. Anything of a similar nature usually came about as a result of terror, cowering in Cathay's presence. A peace-like sleep such as this though? When next to one who was willing to love her? It was a fresh experience that still carried its shine even after several months. Cathay wasn't sure if she'd ever get used to such bliss.


She could however do without the sunlight assaulting her eyes though. A most uncomfortable awakening that she wished to live without. 


The Terror’s eyes scrunched tighter in discomfort. Why oh why did the Earth need to be so close to the sun? Life was entirely sustainable further away. Sure, evolution would have taken a far more drastic turn as a result, possibly confined to the seas or having taken to a subterranean civilization, but it wasn’t as if mankind would be losing anything truly valuable. Such changes might have even been an improvement for the Earth. There were already millions of worlds within this universe that sustained species who lived through just such conditions after all. What was one more?


That said, Cathay couldn't guarantee that everyone would enjoy the change of scenery, were she to actually move the sun away. Valerie chief among the possible, and highly likely, complaints that'd come her way. Not to mention her fellow cosmic tyrants who'd likely turn their attention towards her. 


That plan would just need to have a pin placed in it. To be focused on at a later date. 


That, or Cathay could just buy some covers for her eyes. Truly, a tough decision to be made in the future. 


Begrudgingly, the Ruler worked her way to sit up straight, not minding the sore and sorry state of her nearly naked body. As promised the night prior, Valerie was in no way gentle, leaving behind a torn short upon her girlfriend as well as pants that were damn near yanked off. Like a shark after having caught the scent of blood, Valerie was truly a ferocious little human when in the mood


Even for one as powerful as Cathay, the twisted mind of her human was… shockingly creative. Creation was vast, and the terrible Ruler of the Depths had seen all manner of things in her extraordinarily long life. Yet this little human, no more than a moment in the grand expanse that was Cathay’s life, somehow managed to not only surprise her but also bring her to her knees on multiple occasions


The mighty Terror who was feared across creation, brought low by a meager, less than subatomic, mammal. 


What a blow to Cathay's reputation THAT would be were the greater forces of the cosmos to learn of such a thing. 


Yet despite the likely humiliation to be found in that, there was still an incredible sense of satisfaction. Valerie was quite the expert in the arts of carnal cravings, and unlike with other humans the Matriarch of the Armitage family could be as rough with her cosmic girlfriend as she so wished. The only restraints needed for her were the type she’d bind Cathay’s wrists and ankles with.


It was highly unlikely that anything in any universe could contain the, quite possibly masochistic, Ruler. She's proven long, long ago that she was not so easily contained, having more bodies than there are stars in the night sky to her name. Even now, the binds had already come off, a subconscious act while she slept; a simple desire to be released from the cuffs before they started to chafe. But restraints or not, the Ruler played along when commanded, taking the role of the 'weak and fragile' maiden while Valerie held free reign of the goddess' body. 


And they both enjoyed every minute of it. 


So intense were there sessions that both were able to fall asleep without any issue afterwards. Slumber proved quite the sweet anodyne for an exhausted yet jovial body and mind. Cathay couldn’t recall a single point in her time where she felt both sore AND energetic at the same time. 


It was like lightning coursing through her veins… addicting. 


Such wonderful sensations that were currently being ruined by the light of dawn. Turning to Valerie, Cathay found the human still very much asleep. Snoring loudly with a thin stream of saliva falling from between the corner of their mouth. The very same mouth that housed the teeth which had left their mark on the Ruler's back the night before. 


And her arms. 


And neck.


And thighs… 


Yet despite all the pleasure Cathay was ordered to endure and love, it was Valerie who slept as though she were the one forced into compromising, almost physically questionable, positions. Far from a graceful, slumbering princess, if ever there was a heavy sleeper it’d be the eldest Armitage’s. 


Still, despite their graceless appearance while sleeping, Cathay couldn’t help but find their dear human quite adorable. Were they allowed to, they’d watch them sleep for hours on end, wishing for nothing more than to see the sort of dreams that played in the human's mind. Valerie possessed a higher resistance to eldritch influence than her brother Jason, which in turn kept them from madness induced by otherwise mentally damning powerhouses. Valerie’s resistance was such that maybe she might even be able to gaze upon an Outer God. Enough that Cathay couldn't peek within their mind even with the authority of an all-mighty Ruler of the cosmos, the single greatest power one might possess.  


So much for the vaunted "omnipotence" so many worship and preach about. Further evidence of the Depthborn belief that no such thing truly existed across creation. All talk of such power was only ever spoken by beings so small, so weak, that anything greater may as well be omnipotent by comparison. 


Often that was why the term was thrown around so willy nilly.


Everything possessed a limit, no matter how large or how small, even those who seemed capable of any and every feat possessed a point where they just could not advance further. Ruler's were no exception despite their status and thrones, though their power was such that when compared to everything else they may as well be what the term defines, dwarfing the likes of even the most powerful of gods that mankind has worshiped for thousands upon thousands of years.


There was no power greater than that of a Ruler’s, embodying all that their domain represented. Yet still, despite all the power they possessed within even a single finger, all things possessed a limit.


That was an immutable, undeniable fact. 


But such limits never Bothered Cathay. They came with their own array of advantages. For example, In being unable to peer into Valerie's mind she was instead given the chance to imagine what sort of dreams they experienced. What choices in their life forged the inner most thoughts seen only through slumber. Cathay wondered if her dear human dreamed of her. Or her brother perhaps. 


The future maybe? 


Or even the past? 


So many possibilities that lingered just beyond the Ruler's reach, and unfortunately would continue to do so as Cathay couldn't wait forever. 


Time waited for no one


…actually that wasn’t entirely true at all as, if Cathay so wished, she could shatter time or cease its movement with a singular thought. 


But it waited for no human so still, the point remained. 


Normally such manipulation of time was reserved to very, very few beings in any universe, and more often than not they were limited to the domain of the Void, an ancient rival of the Depths and one that has managed to survive for so long against its invasions. Cathay had faced such manipulators before, even going as far as to devour those whose powers would prove beneficial for her. Such capabilities had great benefits, though now when compared to her station as a Ruler, who possessed unmatched manipulation of reality, they couldn’t really compare. The Tyrants of the Cosmos were truly without equal. 


That said, even with its conception, time never meant much to a firstborn such as Cathay. Existing before such concepts meant she never really flowed properly with it, being capable of moving in spaces where everything just came to a stop. A rare phenomenon that she had observed more than a few times. Were Cathay to even lose her status as queen of her domain she’d still prove a highly formidable breaker of reality. A manipulator of creation, causality, and roaming eldritch terror.


She had earned the right to rule for good reason after all. Her strength was without equal in her kingdom. The Depths wouldn't just accept anyone to rule over it after all. Only the most brutal, the most powerful, may rule over all others. That was a claim not easily made and earned, even among the eldest of Depthborn beasts. 


Yet despite her terrifying power, even the mighty Ruler found herself second to one other. The very same woman who had slept beside her.


Pulling at her girlfriend’s cheek, Cathay slowly woke the slumbering ‘beauty’ that was Valerie. They groaned only once before trying to fall back asleep, pulling a discarded pillow over their head. "Five more minutes Cath…" 


The Ruler giggled, amused that Valerie would even think about falling back asleep while her mate was now wide awake. With a snap of her fingers the pillow was gone, and Valerie was forced to deal with the rising sun just as Cathay had. 


Sitting up in a huff, the human shot her eldritch lover a glance. “You really can't let me have this? Even just a few minutes?"


The Ruler smiled. "Absolutely not, I prefer it when you’re awake."


"I sure as shit don't…"

Pulling back the mess that was their auburn hair, Cathay looked at her girlfriend lovingly. They could be as sour towards them as they wanted, to see them even in this less than glorious state was enchanting. “Good morning, Valerie~


"Yeah, yeah… Morning to you too…" A yawn escaped from between Valerie's lips as she stretched. Cathay scrunched her nose slightly upon catching a whiff of her girlfriend's stale, morning breath. "Why do you have to keep waking me up so fucking early… ?" Valerie questioned, none too pleased to have been woken up on her one day off in the week. "Don’t tell me you’re one of those 'godly' folk who keep themselves busy on Sundays, are you?"


Cathay grew puzzled. "Busy?" Was there some sort of festivity the Ruler had missed? An event her and Valerie could attend later in the day? Mental searching of the inhabitants of Ravencroft throughout the week showed nothing of the sort though. "Is there something we should be worried about?"


Valerie chuckled as she laid back down in bed, only to be kept from fully getting comfortable as an invisible force kept her suspended just above the pillows and mattress; the same power Cathay demonstrated the night prior. Knowing she wasn't going to get any more sleep, Valerie gave up on the attempt. 


"Guess you didn't know then… My bad for assuming, I still forget you're not human." Though Cathay may have looked the part, taking the guise of a rather attractive woman, Valerie still needed to remind herself that her girlfriend was a creature far beyond the grasps of mortal men. An entity so ancient that only the oldest of gods would know the whisper that was her name. A truly alien force that, were it not for her human companion, Earth would have been damned a thousand times over.


That did mean their tastes were alien though. 


Cathay’s desires were actually rather base when compared to everything else, and more often than not Valerie found the cosmic Ruler staring at her impressive and well-kept physique. It took work to keep up appearances, and Valerie was glad someone so unfathomably powerful could appreciate that. Now if only they'd let her sleep in. That'd be beyond splendid…


"Sunday's a special day for a lot of humans." Valerie explained as she got out of bed, stretching more to limber up her body. "A very spiritual day. Some families use this time to gather around and pray, worship whatever religion they’re a part of and give grace for what they have. While I might not be a religious person myself I know a lot of people In Ravencroft are."


Cathay's demeanor turned to that of disgust at the mention of religion and prayers. For a moment the air within the room seemed to… crack? No, not the air… rather it was reality itself. That fine line between the structure which allowed for creation to maintain its shape, and pure, tangled, formless chaos. It caught Valerie off guard, but as quickly as the cracks began to form they healed themselves as Cathay calmed herself down. 


"Was it something I said?" The human asked, a tad bit on edge to see the rising annoyance within her cosmic lover. 


"I'm fine…." Cathay assured. "Just the mention of those practices invokes old memories."


"More of those?" Valerie noticed the rising frequency of Cathay's past memories already. Tossed to the side as being of little concern. Though if that were true then why would the Ruler even concern herself with them? To the point of annoyance? "Do you wanna talk about it?"


Valerie learned early on in life that keeping the sort of memories that cut deep did you no favors. Those are the types that linger, the ones that hurt the most. The very same kind that plagued her during her brother's disappearance, a period where she had forgotten her own self taught life lessons. She imagined such lessons could help even a cosmic goddess were they willing to learn. 


As expected however, Cathay wasn't all too willing to talk of the past. "The less you know of my history the better." The Ruler tapped her nails against her chin, thinking back on the time she was witness to religious subjugation. Like most surfacing memories, it stretched back eons, to a time where so many were still finding themselves, Cathay included. "Really, I didn’t expect Ravencroft to be so open with it’s belief system."


"I mean, yeah, it doesn’t look like the type of place to carry that sort of vibe. And really, most things here are religions you wouldn’t hear about elsewhere in the world, but I suppose it could be a whole lot worse." Valerie always saw the openness of religious practice to be quite the boon. A more welcoming environment for a lot of people. Though, admittedly, things had started to take something of a decline recently. "Really, I'd like to thank Ravencroft’s mayor for such open practice, but as time went on a lot of people started to have… conflicting beliefs."


And to make matters worse, such conflicts could erupt into brutal violence. While such a thing may sound tempting to someone of the Depths, Cathay instead found her curiosity peaked. 


"The Mayor takes a position of power, yes?" Cathay asked, somewhat intrigued. Odd though it may seem, she was familiar with similar practices of religious violence. She’s seen it on countless worlds, war waged in the name of different gods and or demons, heavenly crusades which brought obedience and subjugation. 


"I take it this mayor of yours appeared out of nowhere? Climbed up the ranks of whatever his positions were and quickly amassed a following?"


Valerie was taken back by the accuracy of Cathay’s claim. "Yes… yeah, exactly. How did you…"


"Call it an educated guess~." Cathay jumped out of bed, her torn and haggard pajamas slowly getting enveloped by a green smoke before being replaced by a shirt, jacket, and jeans. She had heard all she needed to hear. Such practices from someone considered a human was far too familiar for her liking.


"Actually, how about you return to sleep? You work yourself to the bone during the week, this is the least you deserve for what you do." The Ruler suggested as she snapped her fingers again, returning to Valerie the pillow she had taken away to God knows where. It even seemed a little bit more… alive? Breathing in and out, along with what sounded like a heartbeat. 


Totally not concerning at all…


"I wouldn't want to force you into anything you were against,” The Ruler continued. “That's your job in our little dynamic, Dear."


"A bit too late for that…" Valerie grumbled. One look at her pillow though and she knew she wouldn't be able to resist the temptation. Even if it was changed the pillow still looked incredibly inviting. And it was still quite early in the morning, who was she to deny such an opportunity to sleep again?


Practically throwing herself onto the bed again, Valerie got comfortable as she pulled the blanket over her, ready for the sweet, sweet silence of slumber. "And you?" She looked up at Cathay, wondering why they had dressed up. "Are you heading out?"


"Only for a bit." The Ruler confirmed. "You said humans tend to keep themselves busy today, right? May as well see what you mean. It sounds interesting."


She'd hear no argument from Valerie. Though allowing them to walk around the city was like setting loose a tiger in an elementary school, the eldest Armitage wouldn't deny that the experience might be beneficial for Cathay. Who knows, they might even learn something about themselves? 


Besides, keeping an eldritch goddess locked up in her apartment couldn’t possibly be good for either of their well being. 


"Just don't get into any trouble." Valerie urged. "And please, please, PLEASE don't kill anybody."


Though Cathay held her dear human's life in high regard, the same could not be said for the rest of mankind. All some random stranger needed to do was say the wrong thing and they were done for. It'd just take a simple thought and poof, it'd be as though the stranger never existed. 


And that’d be if they were lucky. There was no telling what sort of horrific punishments Cathay could enact on any unfortunate enough to cross her. 


"I only promise to tryyy~." The Ruler replied as she made her way out. 


That said, as Cathay left the apartment she couldn't guarantee that the little bird who was encroaching upon her territory wouldn't have its wings ripped off. Though the boundaries of the domains was something the Depths didn’t often respect, at times being seen as an invasive kingdom, it served no one if the Heavens started to mimic such behavior. The cosmos, despites its infinite expanse, wasn’t large enough for two invasive domains. 


So, if angels didn’t carry such respect for this territory of the Ruler’s that was Earth, then why should Cathay respect the well being of this lone heavenly watcher?


***


In the early eons of creation many domains were still being formed. Slivers of reality that stretched endlessly, housing within them their own unique planes of existence; yet always they remained a part of the whole. With the concepts that governed creation came the many Domains, which in turn brought structure to conception. 


There was the Depths, of course. Kingdom of brutality and evolution, inspiring terror upon the cosmos since the very dawning of creation and with it an ever present need to grow. It was stagnant prey that always made for the easiest of kills. But the vicious domain was not the only one of its kind. There were many, many more, some nearly as old as the Deep Wastes themselves. 


Take the Void for instance. Domain of Structure and Equilibrium. A powerful kingdom, one of the great powers of existence, known for harnessing the various fundamental forces of totality to maintain a sense of order across the expanse of time and space. Certain denizens of the Void cultivated life, while others harnessed the fundamental forces of the laws of physics; the passage of time and gravity for instance. They brought a sort of balance to the, at a glance, chaotic cosmos. 


All domains carried with them this theme, a purpose. While some, not all, were as all-encompassing and grand as the Void or Depths, each domain had a role to play within creation. Every kingdom had its duties, its natures, which defined the lives of all those within their individual realms.


…and then there was the Heavens. Domain of Divinity and Kingdom of the Gods. Not just one set of gods, nor a singular pantheon. Oh no, that'd be FAR too simple for the iridescent denizens. Every god worshiped, every divine whose name was sung in song, all who carried that heavenly spark belonged to the Heavens, regardless of if any were aware of that fact or not. 


Vanity and a nauseating belief of their own self-importance were far too common in the 'Most Holy Kingdom'. Enough that it was no real surprise to learn so many denizens of the domain craved worship and praise far more than any other. Almost like an addiction, so many angels and gods demanded the near ritualistic idolization of their divine image. It was sickening to even think that the Heavens were one of the major powers of the cosmos, possessing influence which extended so far that, in time, their desires grew to a point where they wholeheartedly believed THEY alone should rule above all others, all while remaining completely ignorant of the other powers at play.  


Conflict obviously broke out, and a divine culling commenced not long after the original proclamation of war. 


Of course none would take such threats idly. It was ludicrous to think that anyone would just roll over and allow some kingdom of upstart birds to rule over stronger, mightier territories. Still, those of the Heavens must have thought otherwise. They possessed formidable power, true. And technology that was eons ahead of anything else at the time. In their own minds they were the most superior of domains to exist. Despite their power and technology though, their arrogance and pride was met with an even greater retaliation of those wishing to open the Holy Kingdom’s eyes to reality. 


All banded against and took joy in the battles against the Divine Domain, yet none were as ferocious as the jovial Depths who reveled in such carnage. Even Cathay, who at the time remained as one of the few of her kind to have never evolved, found herself greatly enjoying the cosmic bloodshed. 


So much so that she had even begun to search for any hunting parties of angelic champions fit to satiate her own appetite for destruction. 


Such searching would eventually lead her towards a world positively dripping with divine essence; the very lifeblood of those heavenly brats who try so hard to claim the cosmos. A wonderful means of evolution as angels of any variety were bountiful in power. From the smallest cherub to the most exalted of seraphim; and that was only those of terrestrial boundaries. Their appearance mirrored those of the inhabitants whose world they 'guide'. Some were base in form, taking on a shape no different than the more ape-like cretins of creations. Others were so vastly different that a mere glance upon their otherworldly forms would break the mind, succumbing to unholy truths that no mortal would be prepared to face. One aspect that remained consistent however was their sizes. 


Nearly all angels possessed the means to alter their physical forms, with their natural appearances being no different than that of titans. Many rivaled the might of a whelp while others surpassed the boundaries of whole worlds and galaxies, though only the strongest were capable of doing so for the latter. All were mighty, and yet also proved to be so incredibly naïve. 


It was such nativity that Cathay planned on abusing; using it to her advantage in this hunt of hers. 


When she rose from the Depths and through the sea of the world these birds had set shop up on she must have seemed similar to some daemon. A great beast of hell ready to rain ruin upon them. Good, as that is what she hoped for. 


Cathay's emergence was felt more than seen, and from where she breached she found that none were near to witness her obsidian visage. All things had come to learn of her draconic, practically undead appearance, viewing it as an omen of death. Just as they had come to know her roar, which once heard across the globe had already issued her challenge. 


Retribution came quickly, a column of light breaking through the clouds of the sky above and crashing against the skeletal frame of the proto-Depthborn. So intense was the heat of the light that, in time, the sea which surrounded the invader beast began to evaporate. Not so much that the planet would be deprived of needed water but enough that a drought was now an inevitability. 


Still, it was hardly enough to wound one such as the Drake of the Depths, even at this earlier point of her life. If anything, the light only served to darken the already black bones of her body. A slight burn and nothing more.  


She was more interested in the attacker than the attack itself and waited patiently for them to reveal themselves. In time, they descended from their little station above the clouds. A luminous and beautiful humanoid, a mystic, adorned in fine fabrics and jewelry which matched well with their diamond blue skin. Though Cathay could not see their face, such features hidden behind a golden, expressionless mask, she knew the titanic being must have been quite the beauty. A feminine sorceress of the divine domain, and likely the chief subjugate of this planet. 


But no wings from what the proto-Depthborn could tell. A shame as she had hoped to take such features for herself. A seraphim warrior would have been preferable in that regard. 


Still, when looking upon the beauty's feminine charm, Cathay found there to be plenty of other favorable qualities to take onto herself. 


The angelic champion descended into the sea alone, not accompanied by any of the comrades which likely littered the planet's surface, guiding the populace towards blind servitude and worship. The light above grew more intense, causing steam to rise from the ocean and the wildlife within to boil alive as this angel spoke. 


They said only a single word, one that would send any lesser creature running with their tail between their legs. 


"Leave" 


No sound was heard as they spoke. Instead, the light around them said all that they wished to tell. A luminous language, unable to be written in anything other than the light. Near impossible to decipher but for one as old as a Primordial Depthborn the language was as rudimentary as the one who spoke it. 


Cathay gnashed her teeth, clicking in response, unable to speak and instead allowing actions to convey what her intentions were. Joints cracked and molten eyes grew brighter as the ageless terror lowered her body to a pouncing position. 


The two were near equal in size, with Cathay winning out on account of her more bestial form. Still, the exalted mystic was no whelp, likely being large enough to demolish one of her own uplifted cities by herself. Though it was strange to think about, Cathay wondered how many might find themselves victim to the bare foot falls of this titanic beauty. Hundreds perhaps might pop underneath the pressure of her sole, littering that perfect blue skin with splotches of red, green, blue or whatever color the civilizations of this planet bled. 


Perhaps they've even dined on those deemed to be sinners, using the meager portions of energy to fuel their own divine might. 


Such thoughts were tantalizing, and Cathay could hardly wait to put such thoughts into action once this Angel's body served her own evolution. 


Both combatants launched themselves towards one another, with the mystic summoning a sword of hardened light and flame, while Cathay used nothing but her own claws to strike. Through formless speed and unimaginable strength the two titans of power clashed, splitting open the sea and sky. The thin veil of reality shuddered in response to such colliding power, and before long the world around the two foes grew dark as they became the sole focus of one another's attention. 


Only one of them would be walking out of this alive. 


Only one of them would have a future to live for.


****


And oh what a wonderful future for Cathay it was. Though most of her memories were far from noteworthy, at least in her eyes, the battle against that old light-touched mystic was one she looked back onto fondly. Sure, it didn't end in the way she had hoped, the body of the angelic sage proving… less than adequate…


But an evolution did come about as a result of the battle, and so was salubrious in the long term. Of course being so young back then she hadn't viewed it as such originally. Times have changed however, as had Cathay. 


In her youth she would have acted brashly. Clamed, and more tactical than her fellow horrors, but still subject to destructive impulse. While such urges still existed just beneath the surface of what was now a, questionably, calm mind they had been refined to such a point that Cathay didn't need to fear falling into old temptations. 


Were brutal wishes to be acted upon then it would be of her own free will, not bound to her nature. 


That said, this didn't mean there wasn't any joy to be found in holding a shrunken angel in between her fingers, squeezing them just hard enough to have them teeter on the edge between life and death. Watching the struggle to call upon even an ounce of their vaunted strength, only to find it was locked away by one so much greater than themselves. A delightful display of control over one so naturally high and mighty. There was no better way to remind some avian upstart of their place then by having them struggle in the most humiliating of situations. 


Why, their flailing could even be considered cute. Cute enough to even eat for some. 


 Of course Cathay promised not to kill anyone… but she won't deny that her mouth watered at the thought of having this watcher of the Heaven's, a sort of scout, drown in her spittle before being swallowed whole. While there'd be little power to gain from the act it'd mostly be enacted for the pleasure of it. 


It was the smallest of punishments really, deserving towards one who hid themselves on Earth so poorly. Finding out the schemes of this 'mayor' was far too easy to even be considered a little enjoyable. Cathay would have thought that after having so many of their own kind slaughtered the Heavens would have picked up a few new tricks. Maybe some different means of subjugation or integration into a noteworthy society. 


Alas, their tune was always the same. So terribly uninteresting. 


Find a world, assert your power through righteous crusade or otherwise, and claim its denizens as your cattle; that was the preferred method of the strong ones. Those who likened themselves gods. Predictable but effective, at least when another cosmic power didn't get involved in angelic affairs. 


For the less than impressive specimens, however, they'd gain a position of power somewhere in the world, rising through hierarchical ranks and growing powerful through different means, often political or religious. Much like the little morsel Cathay had in her grasp. 


"You repulsive, misbegotten creature of chaos!" The luminous sprite shouted in rage. "You may have these primitives fooled but not me! Return my power to me so that I may deliver unto thee divine punishment!"  


Again, not all angels shared the ability to alter their size, much like the flailing, would-be conqueror here. And always it was the smallest of angels who yelled the loudest.


For the angelic watchers of the Divine Domain, spotting out a Depthborn was a simple task. Granted, most were nearly thousands of meters tall and brought destruction in their wake, but still their purpose remained an important one, or at least it did in their eyes. Onlookers of the universe; Guardians meant to offer safe havens to those who sought it. Cathay liked to believe that, at one point in time, such a purpose wasn't driven by a desire to be praised as gods. That there was actually good intention. If that were true though then the Heavens had fallen far from their original design. 


Still, they performed their duties all the same, ego driven though they may be. The watchers of the Heavens were ever observant, proving able to even narrowing out a cosmic being capable of altering their form. Rulers were perhaps the only beings that acted as the sole exception. 


Cathay wasn't making any real effort to hide away who she was though. If she were then this struggling excuse of an observer wouldn't have had the chance to grow angry. No, she wanted this ranting bird to know who she was. 


"And why would I ever return your power?" Cathay asked in feigned confusion. She moved her sharpened nails to dangle the enraged angel by the collar of their suit, a smile upon her face the entire time. "This size is FAR more fitting for you, wouldn't you agree?" Especially since this angel was one of those few who couldn't change their size. A lesser threat than even the most dull minded of enemies. 


Cathay propped her feet atop the angelic mayor's desk, having taken both that and the Angel's seat for herself. Their office was as one might expect, covered from wall to wall in religious propaganda, though it wasn't any that might be found on Earth. A new religious system, one barely past its emergence stage but was clearly meant to be this little observer's bid towards greater power. Odds are, after taking office and weeding out rival belief systems, they would have used theirs as the one sole religion to be followed here in Ravencroft. Such an underhanded method towards growing power, though Cathay couldn’t blame them for trying. Give humanity a few centuries and enough miracles and they'll believe in anything. 


With their cover blown, the aged human form of the angel gave way to one more in line with what the Ruler of the Depths hoped to see. Still humanoid, bipedal, though segmented in areas of their body, and wearing the same suit as before, it was their flesh and bones which burned away in blue flames that offered the greatest change. Replacing skin and sinew were the wheels, eyes and wings reminiscent of one many an earthling might call a 'Throne'. Normally depicted as a flaming wheel of many eyes and wings, this one had forged for themselves a more humane, less mind breaking form. They needed to go a step further however, truly taking a human shape so as to integrate themselves in society. Had they not then the burning wheels and eyes that constituted the watcher’s ‘head’ would have been a dead giveaway. . 


"Wretched cur!" The Angel shouted, their voice casting their body in a dim light; the vestiges of their power given form through their divine language. Were they to possess access to their full capabilities than Cathay imagined at least a few dozen city blocks would be cast in scorching rays of lights. She couldn’t quite allow that if she planned to keep her promise with Valerie. 


The Angel continued shouting, demanding justice and swearing revenge. "When I go free I swear on all that is holy and sacred, I will have your he-"


Cathay shut them up quickly, wrapping her fingers around the Angel's body before using their own light to compress their body so tightly that they'd be forged anew; made into something else despite their desperate struggles. For any lesser being they would have been turned to paste. Instead they were burnt by a hellish, crimson light that shined out from in between Cathay's enclosed fingers. It engulfed the watcher, blinding him, and smelting down their form into something more fitting. 


The Ruler opened her hand revealing a broken, bent cross in the center of her palm. The Angel’s new shape, forced onto him along with a more humiliating purpose in life. 


"I’m sorry, but do you birds EVER shut up?"  Cathay asked as she clipped the necklace around her neck, admiring her handiwork before growing bored. "I swear, you and your kind are entertaining UNTIL you start spouting nonsense. Couldn’t you tell I stopped caring about what you had to say?"


She snickered. Cathay made sure the Angel retained some form of consciousness before reshaping them, allowing the little one to retain their status as a watcher by allowing them the ability to view and listen through this new perspective of theirs. Though blurred and fragmented vision, this new sense of awareness was like walking through a sea of tranquil, only to then step onto a beach of shattered glass. Serene before growing painful with each passing moment. And the more they struggled the longer the transformation would last. 


Cathay had made a promise after all, giving her word she wouldn’t kill anyone. Turning one into a misshapen piece of jewelry though, having it so that the more they struggled the longer the transformation would persist…


She was pretty sure that was a workable loophole. 


It wasn’t as though it was her fault that Angel’s wills were legendary, being quite literally the personification of stubbornness for some. If the watcher chose to struggle… well that was just out of Cathay’s hand now wasn’t it?


The punishment was a hell in and of itself, the Angel’s entire body, their purpose for existing, amounting to little more than jewelry for a true god of the cosmos to wear. And the most delicious part of this was, if they wished to be free, they’d have to lose the desire to fight back. Something that would never occur to a denizen of the Divine Domain. 


It just goes to show that when death is off the board in regards to punishments creativity becomes a very powerful asset. 


"Let’s give you a few centuries to calm down and get a handle on that fiery temper of yours, little birdy.” Cathay mused. "Hopefully that’ll give me enough time to decide over what I should do with you."


Cathay couldn’t possibly imagine WHY an angel would wish to set up shop on Earth. It couldn’t have been for religious benefit, there were already so many systems of belief here on this planet already. Already, so many gods that had fallen quiet the moment she stepped away from her throne. There was even a Heaven dedicated to the small world, a fragment of the far larger domain as well as a chief religion across the globe. It was ruled by Yahweh, one of the older and more respectable deities of the cosmos in the Ruler's eyes. They were actually found to be a decent enough individual, Cathay just had no idea where so many apes came up with the idea behind those old testament rules


But the angels there were hardly the type of narcissists to be found in the main domain. Respectful, just like their holy father. It didn’t mean the Depths wouldn’t invade it if presented with the opportunity, but still the respect was there. The bottom line was that she couldn’t think of a single possible advantage the Heavens might find in uplifting Earth. The people here were primitive. Weak, easily broken by one of the greater inhabitants of the cosmos. It boggled the mind and only continued to do so the more she thought about it.  


“Whatever…” There is no need to worry about such things currently. The Heavens might be able to utterly dominate but against any other domain they’d find themselves slaughtered. “It’s not like I can’t just slaughter any angel that gets on my nerves…” 


Still, that posed some minor issues in the long run. Cathay had moved to Earth to get away from such problems. Not just her responsibilities within the Depths, an act that likely would place her in poor standing with her peers, as if she ever really cared, but also just to… relax. Something which she hadn’t done in who knows how long. In the past, everyday was a struggle for survival, continuing only until you had so much power that none may think of possibly challenging you. Now here she was, with the power to make the totality bend the knee and yet still dealing with the same problems as though she had never left her obligations behind. 


It was admittedly rather irritating. While a singular angel posed no threat to Cathay or her weaker kin, it still presented what might very well be an inevitable problem for the small planet. 


Rival domains were still a threat. Beyond just the Heavens there were plenty more that have already managed to find their way towards Earth, one notable example being the Void. The Domain of Angels was bad enough, but to deal with the order obsessed Princess that ruled the Kingdom of Equilibrium would be a headache Cathay just did not wish to deal with.  


A solution needed to be found, one that didn’t place her at the forefront of having to solve everything herself. 


“If only mankind could evolve for themselves, things would be so much simpler.” Had these apes the evolutionary prowess of the Depths then perhaps they wouldn’t be so fragile. If only they were just a tad bit… stronger. Powerful enough to challenge something that might be considered a lesser threat. “Yes, if they had an opportunity such as that then I'd have far less to worry about.” 


As Cathay got herself better situated in the Angelic Watcher’s former office, she couldn’t help but think more on that possible idea. She’d need to find someone to replace this lost position of power, or replace it herself, but that was only a minor problem compared to something larger than most humans. 


The world was changing, only a fool wouldn’t see that. If mankind wished to keep up with such changes then they’d need to advance themselves, just as those of the Deep Wastes do. 


But were such a route to be taken then it’d need to be done gently. Mankind was the type of species that needed to be guided. Cultivated before growing. Evolution was, after all, a fickle mistress. 


Cathay knew that better than most.



***


Inadequate

The form Cathay had taken upon her consumption of the divine flesh of the Mystic was far from ideal. Too many of her old qualities persisted into her evolved state, though in retrospect she should have seen this coming. Already, she had barely evolved herself after having killed and consumed the angelic sage, and as such a transformation wouldn’t have been too altering. As they were in power and strength, the might Cathay had acquired was double what she originally was before. A decent boost in might at a glance, but when compared to so many others and what they managed to devour, it was laughable at best. 


Now, because of her own error, she was here atop some ruined city drenched in both depth and divine blood, the coalescing substances mutating the surviving inhabitants below into horrid, crossbreed abominations. They worked to clear out any survivors, divine or mortal, those the Deep Drake could not worry about. Still locked to their miniscule sizes though, they were more akin to vicious insects than any real threat to something of her scale. Still, they were rather effective in slaughtering their former friends and family. 


But such slaughter would avail Cathay nothing. There would be no further evolution to gain from them. 


They could not change the spindly arms and legs of the terror’s new bipedal form, still as skeletal as before but now deprived of the draconic visage she had prior. Befitting the angel she had just consumed, their flesh and bones littering the once beautiful world, Cathay now appeared more demonic. Roughly feminine, humanoid, and by her estimate well over a thousand meters in height, her body now seemed covered in an array of jagged thorns and spikes, the most prominent of which being three shining spines along their back. With four arms each capable of exerting fighting amounts of strength, there was no being the Drake of the Depths could not tear apart, her nails sharper than any blade. Forget demons, Cathay now seemed more akin to a devil. Wingless, yes, a fact she still lamented as she desired wings, but the terror she could spread was without question. 


Most terrifying of all though was the light that coursed through the veins of this new form; crimson, a perversion of the holy luminosity the mystic had utilized in their battle. The very same light which Cathay now used to decimate the world around her, eviscerating any angels and cities that thought to hide from her with ribbons of crimson death. She cared little for the corpses of lesser divinity, only having viewed the mystic as slightly worth the effort.  


And for a brief moment Cathay felt as though the struggle had been worth it. This  monstrous visage was not the original transformation. It was a mutation, forced upon her through a form of incompatibility. Mere moments before taking on this form, she had attained something very close to the slaughtered angel. Something truly beautiful, and in many ways as captivating as an old, dead star. The transformation lasted only a few moments unfortunately, her greater power eclipsing that which she had taken and creating the more monstrous appearance seen now. 


In truth, the slaughter of much of the planet’s population was little more than a tantrum. Cathay was enraged to have fallen so low so quickly when she had actually managed to evolve into something beautiful. It wounded her pride, and only served to further her desire to find something, anything, that might allow her to maintain what she deemed as a proper shape. 


There was nothing for her here. No further foes to hunt nor could they even be considered snacks at this point. The essence they’d grant was less than what she needed now. She made an error in calculations, she was too powerful to gain anything from paltry servings.


She needed stronger adversaries, greater adversity. The Terror shrieked in frustration, knowing her struggles were only going to get harder from here on out. The thorns and edges across their body grew frenzied, shifting in the Primordial Depthborn’s rage. They burned with the energy of the stolen, mutated light, threatening to burn away all on the planet's surface. Just as quickly as the anger had risen though, a calm mind quickly took hold once more. 


Cathay would gain nothing from burning away life on this world. There were still a few stragglers that may prove beneficial, though not to her. 


Turning the stolen light towards the planet’s crust, Cathay dug a hole into her domain. A breach into the Depths that would allow for her kin to freely access not just this world but the solar system it laid within as well. Already she could see the many frenzied eyes of innumerable of her kind, clawing their way to the surface so as to feast on not just the corpses she had left behind but also those who were unfortunate enough to survive the Primordial’s tantrum.


As for the barely evolved, former drake herself, she simply chose to head home. Cathay was tired, and wasn’t going to overexert herself in pursuit of a desire that could be fulfilled another day. Even with how old this universe now was it still could be considered young. 


As such she had all the time she needed to hunt and kill. Her possible prey wasn’t going anywhere, and in time she’d get the evolution she craved. 


It was now only a matter of how many noteworthy champions she had to slaughter. 


A hundred


A million


Or perhaps much, much more. 


In time though. All things evolve in time. 

End Notes:

Well this chapter took some time to write. Finals for classes are really ramping up. Might be some time before the next chapter. Until then though, you know what to do
Rating and review, double time, move it move it!

Chapter 3: Chains of the Hierarchy by Viper07
Author's Notes:

Even the most powerful of beings possess chains. Limitations that are not always physical. 

"And you're sure this isn't a permanent thing, right?" Valerie asked as she looked through the shelves of the former Mayor of Ravencroft's office. Cathay wasn't lying when she had said they were quite the religious nut. Not just religious paraphernalia regarding Christianity, but Hinduism, Buddhism, Unification, and an article regarding something about a flying… Spaghetti Monster? 


Religions from all over the world, ranging from the diabolical, to the heavenly, to the simply nonsensical, all were contained here in some way shape or form. A collection of this level goes well beyond a meager fascination; shooting right into the territory of an obsession. 


"I mean I always knew the Mayor was sketchy, but this?" Valerie had no words to compare it all to. "It’s sort of surreal…" 


"Turns out you never really know someone, huh?" Cathay shrugged, sitting without a care behind the office's desk, twiddling her cross necklace in between her fingers. "Embezzling money from his own citizens. The lengths some people will go to feed their obsessions is truly pitiable ." 


A fabrication fed to Valerie to ensure she remained unaware of what really happened to Ravencroft's ‘divine’ mayor. They had no clue the same politician was currently wrapped around Cathay's neck as the very necklace she toyed with. It was for the best, as Valerie hadn't the slightest idea as to who they were or what their true intentions were. Had they known the truth then whatever views they had of religion, if they believed in any, might have changed.


The Heavens had that effect on those they let down. 


"And to think, I voted for that bastard." Valerie was in disbelief. Yeah, the former Mayor wasn't really the best of options, but at the time of elections her choices were rather limited. It was either the apparent religious nut or some man who looked as though his mother held lascivious relationships with toads. Bug eyed and grotesque, Valerie ultimately picked the one who seemed as though she'd be able to carry a conversation with. 


Who would have thought she’d have chosen poorly?.


"Fucking hell… this is going to mess up my whole day."


"And why is that?" Cathay asked, having stopped toying with her jewelry the moment Valerie showed an ounce of distress. Her pupils shrunk at the very prospect of having invited some form of discomfort. 


Thankfully her worries were unfounded as Valerie's concerns weren't as expected. 


"He was supposed to pay my group…" Valerie sulked as she wondered how exactly she was going to break the news to not only her publisher but also her fellow journalists. "I was supposed to have a report ready for him by the end of the month." 


The trials of a freelance writer never ended it seemed, especially when one needed to work wherever the opportunity arised. Valerie was skilled in what she did, writing reports, speeches, or short stories with a touch more… intimacy, she knew how to put words on paper.  She also knew how to save up and invest, and thanks to the former Mayor's and her most recent Publisher’s generous payouts, Valerie didn't need to worry about rent or bills yet. Still, she was pretty much out of a job, and even if Cathay had a hand in her previous employer's sudden expulsion she did not blame them. 


"Damn, I feel so dirty." She admitted. "I was getting paid with bad money." 


Cathay chuckled and stood from her seat. Making her way to her dear human, she pulled Valerie into a hug, affectionately wrapping summoned wings around them. 


The human looked on at the added appendages with wonder, the sight of the draconic wings always proving breathtaking. "I will never NOT love that~."


Pulling the shorter woman closer, Cathay kissed Valerie upon her cheek; The sudden tenderness enough to make both of them blush. 


"Don't worry about this, my Star." Cathay said, unbothered by her mate's plight. "I was the one who found out your Mayor's intentions, so I'll handle the mess they left behind. Until then I'll pay you and your ape accomplices, okay?" 


And that way, Cathay would have more time in deciding how she'll exactly fix this problem of hers. This Angel’s appearance posed a world of issues she needed to deal with beyond just replacing them. Most likely she'll find one whom she can trust to assume the role of mayor in her captive's stead. 


As if she would do it herself. Cathay’s duties as a Ruler kept her far too busy.


…usually


Valerie wasn't too sure, however. "I don't know… how exactly do you plan on fixing this? Putting aside finding a replacement, which is TOTALLY unethical and you promised to do better, but how do you plan on paying up? I don't wanna sound rude, but…"


"I've only ever offered the literal change in my pockets?" Cathay finished, already well aware of where Valerie was going with this. With a nod of their head, her human confirmed those suspicions. 


"Goodness Val, how little do you think of me?" Pulling her wings away, Cathay momentarily hid the office desk behind the ebony shade of their membrane. When they were pulled away and back into the Ruler's being, hidden beneath the cream colored jacket she wore, a pile of golden coins and gems of incredible grandeur rested on top. "As it turns out, my pockets are quite vast. Aren’t you lucky~." 


Many Depthborn carried with them a sizable horde of treasures. Plunder from planetary conquests, taken from civilizations that now no longer exist. The older the beast in question the greater the treasures they possessed, and few in the Depths were as old as Cathay. Depthborn beasts understood the value of certain baubles and trinkets, and while not possessing the same lure to treasure as dragons or demons they still found enjoyment in its collection. Like trophies that served as reminders of ancient battles won, even the most 'gentle' of the Deep Wastes were known to carry some form of wealth, whether it be treasure, knowledge or aught else. Commonly, they did well in serving as symbols of status. 


"So long as I am here you'll want for nothing," the Ruler said, a tinge of pride in her voice. "Simply say the word and I can gift you anything." Were they allowed to do so, Cathay would grant Valerie entire planets to rule over, acting as a sort of pseudo-goddess if they so wished. It was certainly within her right of power, given the reach of her Domain, and perhaps this way Valerie would begin to see things in a different light. Understand the benefits that come with unassailable power. 


So filled with pride and wonder over the possibilities, Cathay failed to realize that, rather than the joy she had expected, she instead found a stern-faced Valerie silently judging her. "You mean to tell me I've been worrying about rent when you could have done something like this these past four months?" 


A wary smile curved the Tyrant's lips upwards, and in a rare moment of weakness Cathay felt a bead of sweat sliding down her brow. What she had hoped to be a display of the wealth beyond just her cosmic might, gained without the authority her throne allowed no less, was instead an admission of her holding out on possible financial aid. Even now, she was finding it difficult to look her girlfriend in the eyes to admit to revealing this blunder of hers. 


"Keep them" 


With a sigh Valerie relented, before turning her back on the gold and gems. 


"There's no reason I'd ever need so much," the bold human explained. "It's excessive, and besides, I can't tell if you took that from worlds you've… ravaged"


That was a fair observation, and right on the money as it were. Honestly, Cathay couldn't think of a situation where she had actually received her treasures without some form of bloodshed. It just came natural to her and her kind, and she wouldn’t feel sorry for that. She had no reason to be. Still, rather than finding herself insulted over this rejection of such a gift the Ruler found herself quite pleased.


Not just anyone would turn their back on such wealth. Not even an Angel it seemed was beyond such temptations. 


Cathay wondered then what that made Valerie.


"You know, most humans would take such riches for themselves." The Ruler tried to justify. "There's no shame in taking this advantage for yourself. No one would judge you unfairly. I am giving it to you after all, no strings attached." Once more she was given a stern, nearly nerve racking expression of a woman who thought differently. 


"If you're saying most people would jump at that chance then they're all just selfish pricks," Valerie shot back with a huff. "And I'd very much appreciate it if you didn't compare me to them. Or is that how little you think of me?" 


Cathay's amusement never waned. It instead grew the more she focused upon her Beloved's character. So genuine, so strong, it was almost strange to think Valerie was of the same species as the rest of mankind. 


"Well said, my Lovely Little Star~. " As Cathay moved to return to her seat behind the office's desk, the pile of riches vanished. Not in a flash of light or puff of smoke. Instead they simply blinked away; gone in an instant and returned to Cathay’s horde. 


"Thank you," though the offer was appreciated and she had refused a rather handsome payday, Valerie had no regrets over her decision. Nor did Cathay who seemed to enjoy the choice made. Riches such as that were better distributed elsewhere, not wasted on a single life such as hers. After all, if Valerie didn't work for her lot in life, the goals she wished to meet, then what point was there to life? She worked hard to get where she was now, and just because she had a girlfriend as powerful as Cathay didn’t mean she had an excuse to grow lazy.. 


"Now, if you'll excuse me…" Valerie moved to the office's single coat rack, taking from it a leather jacket meant to shield her from Ravencroft's strangely cold weather. "I need to break the bad news to a bunch of disgruntled writers." Whatever her reasons for denying the gifts which could be granted, Valerie knew her mindset would not be shared among her peers. Unlike her, they'd be more distraught over the prospect of losing their cash cow. "I fully expect tears, and a lot of complaining."


This was her lot in life, and just as both women made time for their nightly engagements they also needed to make room for work. While Cathay settled business here, figuring out how to solve the issue of finding someone to take the seat of power here in Ravencroft, Valerie needed to inform her group that their previous employer was an apparent nutcase. 


With a wave and a wink, along with a kiss blown, Valerie left her cosmic lover to her own devices, and in so doing left the Ruler with an ever shouting loose end to tie.  


Now that she was in the clear, Cathay could address the issue of her angelic captive. Looking down past the collar of her shirt and hanging just above her generous chest, the Angel turned necklace dangled freely; lifeless to all who could not hear their radical screams. Their rage and entitlement seemed without limits, their non-stop ranting having lasted the entire day prior and well into the current. It'd have been noteworthy, their spirit, were it not so irritating. 


Thankfully, it proved an easy task to tune them out. Deal with enough of the self-important and their yammering begins to sound the same regardless of the Domain they hail from. Unfortunately, Cathay couldn't silence her captive the old fashioned, and greatly preferred, way. Not from a lack of power, there were few things as is that could contend with her, but more from the promise made to Valerie. 


"Do better…" Cathay sighed. Who knew two simple words could prove so complex an instruction to follow? "Fine… then how about this?"


Snapping the chain free from her neck, Cathay threw the piece of jewelry down where it landed between waiting, booted feet.


The accessory grew brighter, hotter, softening with the rising heat as it scalded the floor. Yet another transformation, one that maintained the Angel's new size while keeping them contained within the physical bindings of their more recent prison-body; a meager fashion accessory given legs and arms. They morphed, until they began to resemble something similar to their previous, divine form, gaining four eye-covered rings that composed their head along with quite the dapper suit. 


Offering them at least that sense of modesty was a gift. Cathay had no need for a naked angel. Those remained better off as paintings on murals.


Despite the transformation, the Ruler of the Depths remained uninterested. She raised her boot over the Angel so that it would be the first thing they saw through this new perspective of theirs. All the grime, dirt, and occasional bug corpse which clung to Cathay's treads would serve as the Bird's new world. A definite fall from grace from whatever lofty position they held as a Watcher of the Heavens. Now all they'd be able to witness were the soles of the boots belonging to one whom they were taught to loathe. 


Looking down, Cathay saw as the Angel's transformation finished. There was a moment of silence as they looked upon their newer appearance, the same metal which composed their necklace self, before the heavenly being's many eyes went wide with shock. The Ruler above smiled as mentally, she felt the range of emotions her captive experienced. There was the sudden surprise at being "freed", followed shortly after by a growing desire for revenge. 


Next, obviously, came an attempt to strike back against the all-mighty Tyrant. A Fool's errand to be sure, but then most of these Birds were the greatest of fools themselves. It wasn’t odd to think of an angel biting off more than they could chew, as was seen now when this Watcher tried to summon even an ounce of their divine might, power that could scorch the city of Ravencroft if allowed to run rampant. Instead they could only summon embers too weak to light even a candle. Subsequent attempts followed, along with an effort to summon the Angelic 'voice of light' known among the Heavens. Once again nothing came about from such efforts. 


Realization sunk in not long after and only grew as the Angel looked up at a foot so large it could snuff them out with the most minor of steps. Though their form had changed to fit their former appearance they were still imprisoned; their power contained. And worst still, their voice was silent, cut off from the rest of their kind. Though free to move, they still found themselves imprisoned. 


"I'm sure you've realized, but your sudden transformation is only superficial," Cathay explained as the sole of her footwear lowered until it lightly tapped the rings that made up her heavenly captive's head. "As if I'd take the risk of having you call for any help. Earth doesn't have any need for one of the Heaven's crusades." 


Though an invasion of that domain was hardly a danger to her, Cathay felt it would be in Earth's best interests if the Heaven's remained unaware of the planet's failed conversion. That sort of divine mayhem was best left silent. 


If any disaster were to come then it'd be of the Depths' hands and none other.


"Though, maybe a few of your friends would be nice…" giving it some thought, Cathay wouldn't mind having herself a little collection of angelic warriors and watchers. When their minds and bodies broke they proved quite the efficient workers. "By yourself, I highly doubt you'd serve even as a decent shoe shiner." The Ruler explained further, much to her captive's horror. 


Cathay smiled as the molten eyes behind her shaded glasses shined brighter. She felt that the Angel wished to protest, but of course she wouldn't allow for that. "Oh, you heard me right, Boot Kisser. You're my property now, and I'd advise you to hurry. That is… unless you wish to fall from your Domains' grace and into the Hells you so hate?"


She could feel it enter their mind the moment she spoke of the possible consequences. The humiliation of being reduced to a little novelty, a tool for amusement, as well as the fear of falling down from the Heavens. There was hardly any fight as they began to step forward. 


"That's what I thought~"


The act of falling, as it is known through the Heavens, is an occurrence which forces one of a divine nature onto the path of the demonic. Feared by most of a radiant origin, all who called the Heavens their home could potentially descend into the Hells which defied everything they stood for. Their territorial anthesis. 


There was no Ruler who lorded over the Domain of the Gods, no one to contend with should the act of falling be forced, and as such Cathay knew there was none who could keep her from following through on such a threat. Just another one of her many capabilities granted through her status. 


 As easily as she could annihilate a cluster of galaxies, she could force a Bird into becoming an Impish slave. 


With that sort of knowledge in mind it came as no surprise when she felt the Watcher’'s hands rubbing against her treads, removing any impurity from them. 


Any grime and speck of cloth they came across was brunt away through golden fire, the sole power allowed them. In Cathay's opinion it was a far better use of their might than whatever else it was angels did these days. Preach the grace of whatever gods they worshiped, or try to ascend to godhood themselves? Pointless when compared to the task of trying to keep her pleased. It served them better after all, as it meant they'd be allowed a few more years of living. 

 

Admittedly, this sort of degradation for those that pride themselves on their "perfection" was fun. Maybe not as fun as the humiliation Valerie could impose despite being a fragile little human, but still enjoyable. And when death was off the board in terms of punishments then creativity became the tormentor's greater tool. 


Cathay supposed that was a quality they shared, the Angel and her, the struggle to maintain their sense of individuality; or sense of power in the case of the Depths. Always fighting even if it meant an arm, a limb, or a life. 


"I suppose you think of me as cruel? An uncaring monster that should be wiped from existence?" Though the Angel had no voice with which to speak anymore, they didn't need one. A quick search through their mind confirmed Cathay's inquiries. "Of course you do. You think this is the worst situation someone of your stature could be in. That no one of your purity deserves this form of humiliation."


A chuckle escaped Cathay's throat as she moved her foot closer to the Angel, her sole nearly ramming into his entire body. 


"You have no idea just how wrong you are if you think this is the worst you think things can get." 


Though these circumstances were far from favorable for the Angel they weren't even close to the worst of fates which could befall someone. 


"You tried to rise beyond your station. You tried to evolve. I can understand that," Truly, Cathay could. "But if you think the subjugation of one little planet is going to be enough for you to become a god then you hardly know a thing about how any universe operates."


"Take it from me, Little Bird, you need to sink long before you can rise from the deep."


***


The path of evolution is often a difficult one to walk, and at times the routes taken to ensure one's growth are not as beneficial as originally hoped. There is no straight line to take, nor are there directions present which offer a glimpse into what lies waiting at the end of the journey. It is a coin toss, graced only through chance. There are no miracles. There are no shortcuts. Only blood, sweat, and the determination needed to survive against all adversities.


Yet even that may not be enough. The will of the cosmos, of nature, is more cruel than any devil.  


Regardless of how many foes she consumed, forces of nature all, no form Cathay took ever managed to fit. She had devoured angels and demons, gods and devils; denizens of the Void and dragons whose galactic flames shamed even the heat of the hottest stars. She tore apart everything her claws and teeth could sink into regardless of the threat they posed to her, earning a reputation fiercer than ever before. No longer could she be considered a Drake of the Deep Wastes, having consumed even her closest kin until only she remained. Instead, Cathay seemed more akin to an Archfiend. A demon in both actions and appearance, bleeding totality dry until the imperfections that riddled her body ceased to be.  


Impurities and mutations so obscene they made a fool of biology. Forced to slither upon the ground like some serpent, Cathay could only pull herself forward to reach her twisted, gruesome goals. Far from whatever benefits were granted in the beginning of her journey towards evolution, she now felt as little more than a monument of failure; a body of work built only on the worst qualities and traits she could find. 


Skin and scales melted away, torn asunder by the conflict of powers within her form, revealing bone bleached by corrupted light and blood red fire. What excess amounts of skin did remain draped behind and trailed across the ground, darkened and corroding all unfortunate enough to be caught in the trail of desolate blood left behind. Those that did not melt away instead found themselves victims of an even worse fate. Mutated, overcome by an unfathomable bloodlust much like the monstrosity which had burned away thousands of worlds, hundreds of star systems, and countless civilizations of both divine and mortal origin. 


In the presence of this Terror of apocalyptic proportions, the very cosmos shuttered and cried out in agony. Upon those great many worlds invaded, deformities and afflictions ran rampant. Organic life grew hideous, bestial, turning upon kin with such fervor that destruction settled long before Cathay could even breach a planet’s surface. When she did the effects grew only more potent, with even those of an inorganic nature taking on qualities which defied their very nature. Metal grew spurs of bones and crowns of flesh while stone and wheat became riddled with polyps of eyes. Oxygen grew acidic and water turned to bile while the stars above bled down into the lesser world's below them. 


Such was but a glimpse into the chaotic, terrifying power of the Archfiend of the Depths. Yet even that power, unstable though it was, paled in comparison to that of a Ruler's. A flicker of flame compared to a sun. 


She was there in the beginning, when the culling of the Heavens and their Godly leaders came to an end. Cathay proved one of the cullings' most effective killers, her sole desire of evolution aiding her greatly, but in the aftermath of the favored carnage a change to the cosmos was enacted. With the number of divinity having dwindled to a more agreeable amount, leaders needed to arise to take charge of the ailing cosmos. Beings who, through the acknowledgement of their respective Domains, would attain the power and authority necessary to grind even the most supreme of gods under heel, so as to prevent a second culling. 


Seemingly limitless in power, the very authority of these greater beings having been engraved into the laws of creation, the first Rulers came to be crowned out of necessity within a healing reality. Of course, in her endless search for power and internal balance Cathay was not present to witness the coronation of the first Ruler of the Depths. 


She found the very idea of such beings to be ridiculous, and ultimately pointless; limiting the freedom they all once likely possessed. Though the power was undeniable, and perhaps even coveted by many a would-be usurper, the fates of the Rulers were now tied to that of their domains. Their entire being, their whole role within existence, would be solely dedicated to the maintaining of all that their kingdom commanded. And while reality could be altered with but a simple thought it often came at the cost of conflict against a fellow king or queen. 


Such chains were frowned upon by Cathay. Only the strongest may rule the Depths, and as such any Ruler to ascend should be fully aware of the nature of their own kingdom. Bloodlust and carnage could not be held back. Instead, it could only be unleashed, lest the denizens of the Deep Wastes lose their claws and purpose. They prevented complacency by inspiring fear across the cosmos. An ever present need to grow, to survive. Without that there would only be stagnation; a death sentence.  


No Ruler regardless of the authority they possessed would ever contain Cathay. That was a decision she made herself when alterations to the healing cosmos were well underway. Let them come for her if that is what they wished. Even with a crazed and fragmented mind she would gladly accept erasure over failure and chains. 


As if tempting fate and the possibility of ceasing to be, the Archfiend traveled from one domain to the next, slaughtering all that came her way to defend their opposing, faltering kingdoms. She abused the restrictions of the Rulers, acting without worry as they focused only on maintaining their territories. The first Rulers were an orderly but foolish lot after all, believing the threat Cathay posed to their own subjects was minimal compared to the wellbeing of the territories. 


Such travels eventually led the Depthborn Terror down a path which placed her upon the shores of what was once the greatest seat of power across creation: The Dreaming City. 


A wellspring of possibility and potential; change of any form was the one rule of the City. Alterations to the laws of reality which governed totality, infinity and eternity: it was all permitted here. Whether it was faux universes made through the dreams of sleeping gods or laws which acted as the antithesis to well established concepts, there was nothing which could not be made manifest within the Domain of Dreamers. It was in these lands of gold and ivory where the establishment of the current cosmic hierarchy was established, and it is here where the very same order shall end, so as to make room for the next epoch. 


Of the Domains which lorded over creation, it was that of the Dreamer’s which ruled over kings and queens. 


And Cathay, in her boundless hunger for growth, tore her way through fields of attainable manifestations and towers of great capabilities. She devoured the Dreaming City's citizens, those charged with watching over the dreams and lives of all who carried with them a form of sentience. She destroyed the city's protectors, headless, mountain-sized brutes adorned in long strips of silver cloth. The Archfiend of the Depths brought ruin to that which was meant to be the epitome of change; only stopping when she drew the ire of that which she believed would overlook the threat she posed. 


Just as quickly as the carnage had begun it was brought to an end as above, Cathay witnessed the descent of the city's Ruler- It’s First Dreamer.  


A tall and authoritarian figure, clad in crimson veils and sheets of obsidian. They said not a single word as they approached, only ever watching their fiendish intruder with eight calm but overpowering eyes. 


In the most infinitesimal measure of time, the Ruler held the head of its domains' intruder by their horns. Clinging to life, her ruinous body broken, Cathay could just barely perceive her tormentor's thoughts as they were laid bare. "I know what you seek, Cretin of the Deep Territory. Press on and you shall find it."


Powerful though she was, Cathay could do nothing to fight back. Her wounds were too severe, life threatening, and it was only through her assailant’s power that she was kept from death’s door. Though the Ruler’s were bound in chains and rules, it was still enough for some to act when the situation demanded it. The ruination of the Dreaming City was one such event, a miscalculation of the Archfiend’s. 


"No dream shall be barred, Beast, not even your coveted evolution. But make no mistake, you will not rise from the deep, but instead shall drown in it."


And so Cathay was dragged away into the very city she sought to bring ruin to. A prisoner of her own unending hunger and terrible power, now kept chained away within a city of potential she could no longer use to her own benefits.


***


No humiliation Cathay could inflict upon the Angel that burned away the filth on her boots could compare to what she felt as a victim trapped within her own failing body. No prison she could create could hold a candle to that which contained her for an eternity of perpetual torment. 


Every grievous act of destruction she enacted, every disastrous thought she possessed; all of it was a kindness compared to what SHE had to endure. 


Where once she desired evolution, a means to surpass previous notions of power for the sake of her survival, now she only wished for the silence and serenity of a station she originally did not wish to ascend to. 


Here she was bound in the chains of her own Domain, meant to serve its interests as queen. Free to cause destruction, yes, but never beyond what is expected of her kingdom’s nature. A Tyrant forced onto her throne by circumstances and whose sole purpose was now the maintenance of a territory that derived its strength from carnage. An impossible task in her eyes, one that hasn’t just caused its fair share of migraines but also serves as a reminder of the further humiliation Cathay has had to endure in a life countless eternities long. 


But even if this role was forced upon her, that did not mean she wasn't allowed some base pleasures every now and then. With a light tap of the toes of her shoes, Cathay gently patted the head of the Angel beneath her; now a servant to her whims. Their sole purpose now being the betterment of her mood, as that alone would keep them from falling into the recesses of Mania that were the many Hells of the Cosmos. 


Cathay raised her foot onto her lap, depriving her servant of their task just as they were finding their ‘groove’, so that she may examine their handiwork. "See?" Though there were still specks of dirt and patches of grime, Cathay could not deny the general improvement of cleanliness. Given how most denizens of the Heavens weren't used to such labor it wasn't an entirely bad job. "When you Birds understand the consequences you make for effective workers… or maids in your case. Keep this up and I might even let you massage my actual foot."


Cathay has been meaning to apply a new coat of paint to her nails. Even an Angel obsessed with godhood could complete that sort of task. 


"But before we deal with that, there are still other matters that need to be discussed." Turning her attention away from the Ophium, Cathay tapped a single nail against her desk. Low at first, it wasn't long until the tapping grew in sound; echoing across the walls and shaking the various religious paraphernalia that decorated almost every corner of the room.  She spoke a single word that echoed across vast distances, breaking through time and space to reach the deepest territories of her kingdom. 


"Ordegash"


At once, the world around Cathay and her angelic property seized; halting any movement. The air and oxygen which mankind breathed came to a stop as all things beyond the singular office stopped with the sudden cessation of time. The various antiques and relics of religions from across the world softened and melted away, gaining a pale complexion as the growing masses moved to the center of the room- seemingly having gained a form of sentience. 


They all came together and coalesced, growing in size but never to a point that became overbearing for its surroundings. In fact, the room itself seemed to rise and fall with the shifting, pale flesh-like mass; as though the two were one and the same. Fluidity of the form soon gave way to design, like clay taking its first shape. First came gaunt, skeletal arms that pushed the rest of this forming, frail body upward, allowing more of its gruesome mass to take shape. Thin to a point of starvation and yet pulsating with life, this eyeless, vaguely humanoid entity possessed two mouths that ground their teeth relentlessly. 


From all directions the summoned Being spoke, possessing qualities of both refinement and madness in their voice. "The Ruler calls, and the Sole Order of the Depths responds. Summoned through authority, and undefined necessity. She does not know her reasoning. not yet. We know more than her, but we shall wait. We shall listen." 


Splendid, Cathay could already feel a headache forming. 


In the Depths there were few older than her. Ordegash, for all their confusing practices and manner of speech, was one such entity. A Primordial Depthborn who sought knowledge and order rather than power and bloodlust. A rarity to be sure; in their constant searching of both they've committed a great many heinous crimes, devouring those who viewed and controlled the passages of time. In their resulting evolutions they grew capable of witnessing all manner of events conceivable, viewing countless possible realities branching from equally endless choices. They saw it all, shattering their mind in the process but now holding knowledge on everything from the past, present, and future that could or would ever happen. 


There was no better advisor Cathay could ask for in regards to current dilemmas, and despite Ordegash's reputation across several domains she knew they could be trusted. They've earned their title for good reason, favoring silence and stability, oddly enough, rather than carnage. Not because they possessed a kind heart but because, as is the common desire, a more peaceful approach for the Depths could ensure longevity and greater survival. 


In some small measure, Cathay was inclined to agree and it was thanks to them that she even gave the idea of living on Earth a chance. Ordegash's voice and input, no matter how mad, was well respected. 


"I'm pleased to see you haven't returned to your hole," Cathay admitted. "Imprisonment is wasted on someone of your intellect… I'm certain you're already aware of the reasons behind your summoning?"


Though they possessed no means to physically see the angel at their master's feet, Ordegash was aware of their presence regardless. "One reason out of many." One voice said. 


"Countless branches, each a road we have walked." Another added. "We have had this conversation before. Many, many times."


"Broken, separate from the whole. Dreams yet to come, shifting into any countless myriad shapes. The Angel portends a possibility of conflict. An invitation towards greater threats. Battles which the Earth would never survive. Avoidable. Unfortunate. You wish to defend this world if able…"


Cathay was impressed. "Congratulations, I almost followed that. Yes, I wish to keep this dirt ball of a planet safe. Not for the apes but more because I've found something of value here."


"As was envisioned," though they didn't smile, Ordegash seemed almost pleased with this desired development. "Promised to the Butcher. Now promised to you."


The Pale Lord has long since known this to be the path needed for the higher Domains to thrive beyond just a need for power. For those of an eldritch nature to find their 'sweethearts'. It ensured prosperity, not just for the Depths but for all cosmic kingdoms. 


But even though it was already a known possibility, it still felt good to be right. 


Cathay threw her hands up in defeat. "Yes, yes, I was wrong and you weren't. Take it in, Slug." Ordegash wasn't just an entity older than their Ruler, they were one of the few beings she knew of that was their superior in intellect. Their nigh-omniscience was second only to the Tyrants which lorded over creation. That didn't mean she had to enjoy any perceivable smugness that arose from her fellow Primal though. "Can you help me or not? We both know the Depths won't just defend the Earth. And I can't directly get involved unless it's a matter that reflects my station. If Earth is to be protected then…"


"It will need to defend itself," Ordegash finished with total clarity in synced voices, already aware of their master's plan. With a bow, they acknowledged the possible repercussions which could arise from future actions. The Depths had many enemies, and no doubt they would look poorly upon any future machinations. 


But in acting so early they would be unable to do anything to impede Cathay or those loyal to her. "This one understands. This one will obey."


"Mankind's cultivation and growth will be assured, my Ruler."


"Good, good… that's what I like to hear." Cathay muttered as she glanced down at the angel who was rightly cowering in the shadow of both her and the pale skinned Primordial. The Heavens understood well the danger a single primal could pose. Godlike in power, they were second only to their master. 


Though blanketed in darkness by two cosmic powerhouses, and shaded thanks to her glasses, Cathay could see clearly a trickle of yellow falling from the Angel's legs. 


Even the divine knows when it is appropriate to be afraid. "Oh, right. That reminds me…"


She still needed someone to replace Ravencroft's former Mayor. Though Cathay had expected the search to be longer than she would have liked, perhaps she'd be able to… cut a few corners? 


Cathay's crimson eyes fell on Ordegash, an act that didn't go unnoticed by the Primordial Depthborn. "My Ruler?"


"Say… how are you with politics?" Cathay asked in a low voice. 


With the knowledge they possessed, the countless eternities witnessed on a daily basis, there was an abysmally small number of things which could surprise Ordegash. The Pale Lord. Sole Order of the Depths. Corpse Maker and Time's Fragmented Predator. Never sleeping, always viewing the possible paths the denizens of infinite circumstances may walk, there was scarcely a moment in existence they weren't already prepared for. No answer to some complex formulae they didn't already know. 


This right here, upon hearing their Master's question, was one of those very rare moments where Ordegash found themselves unable to properly respond. 


"...pardon?"

End Notes:

Aight everyone, i'm back with the milk and ci...
Oh crap, did I miss a lot?

Good news, I finally got time away from classes!
Bad news, it's only about 2 weeks and a half. 
SO, hoping to get some good writing done in that frame of time! Wish this snake luck cause he is going to NEED IT

Chapter 4: Unbound and Unbroken by Viper07
Author's Notes:

Some chains are strong. We must be stronger still to break them... regardless of what awaits us from such freedom


A silent suspense held the Dreaming City in a state of ceaseless paranoia. Not one soul moved without permission as all trembled in a terror that rocked every denizen within the domain, save for perhaps its sole Ruler. The kingdom shook endlessly, threatened by nonstop monstrous quakes that split apart fields of tranquility and toppled structures which had remained steadfast for eons. The sky shattered and bled, giving rise to horrible images which assaulted the mind. All while a horrific shriek proved to be the only thing that could be heard for lightyears around; transcending the limitations of space and time to reach the ears of any unfortunate enough to hear the ghastly wails. Even the space between the stars above countless night skies were found to be victims of these horrific screeches as well, turning malignant and misshapen, filled with horrors that heeded the call of one beyond them. 


The fiber of every living soul within the Kingdom of Dreams was racked with an indescribable sense of fear as they watched summoned images of the Depths try to pool forth from cracks in space, unable to reach beyond their grotesque realm and into that which was pure by comparison. Horror so profound that it defied the senses, capable of sending away even the most hardened of fighters with their tails tucked firmly between their legs.  


And for good reason.


Every sentry and warrior of the Kingdom found themselves on high alert looking over a tree that stretched beyond the clouds of this world of endless white, ready to act in name of their Domains' defense should their personal Demon find itself free to ravage their realm once more. Already, the Archfiend had wreaked havoc upon the 'epicenter of perfection', slaughtering millions before they in turn were slaughtered by the First Dreamer. Those who survived and lived across the generations after knew well the power behind the failing form of their enemy. 


Those of younger, newer ages found themselves only with legends to work off of and prayed with every fiber of their being that what they heard was only an exaggeration. Deep down though they knew what they faced was unlike anything they could defend themselves against. Though the Dreaming City was populated by heroes and warriors of great renown, they were finite compared to one one of seemingly infinite cruelty. 


Some heroes equipped themselves with weapons forged from the fires of the brightest of stars; scythes that proved capable of cutting through all forms of matter, or hammers that struck with enough force to shatter whole continents. Cannons that shot out bursts of stardust, and arrows which plunged whole world's into eternal darkness. Armaments fit to challenge and even prevail against forces normally beyond the natural order of creation. Those that stood beyond mortal kind and climbed well into the heights of divinity. 


Even those of a more mystical background found themselves paired with trinkets and baubles of similar power, allowing even the lowliest of mages the potential to embody a natural disaster. 


It was an army of legends a thousand strong, and yet none felt confident in the weaponry of their domain. With tools capable of reshaping the world around them, any one being would feel close to godliness. But their Prisoner from the Depths, the Primordial beast Cathay, accomplished similar if not greater feats through her simple existence alone. 


Kept within a tree of immaculate design, brimming with radiance and adorned in leaves of gold, her maddening influence was felt. Her prison withered and rotted away as she thrashed about repeatedly from within. Every minute of every day, the Primal Depthborn fought with more strength than any prisoner who had come before. Her wrath knew no limits, and even if the ivory tree broke down their body before repairing it again, an event repeated thousands of times in a single solar cycle, the Archfiend never wavered in her unstoppable defiance. 


Not only did she challenge the domain in its entirety by refusing to bend the knee, Cathay also knowingly insulted its Ruler by defying their call. A song that resonated with totality; there wasn't a single moment where the Bane of the Dreaming City was allowed a moment of reprieve from that horrid, melancholy melody. It was felt in each and every individual cell that composed her body, resonating with and altering the Primordial on such a level that were she to ever leave her prison, it'd be a form unlike any she's taken before.


Now, it would be a simple matter for the City's Ruler, Lubaeron, to force his hated foe into subservience. All it would take was a single, simple thought and she'd be his. A puppet to his grand scheme. The only thing that kept him at bay was pride. The lingering yet looming knowledge that were he ever to use his authority to turn Cathay into one of the Dreaming City's many guardians, she would have the last laugh. 


The Archfiend would fall knowing it was only through the power of the absolute that she could be contained. That alone staved off the First Dreamer’s plans. 


The annihilation of the Domain of the Depths. 


For all he was concerned, the Deep Wastes was a blight on the cosmos and its many boundless realities. They were parasites, invaders, lamprey that knew only destruction. More so than the Destroyers of the Void, and far less organized, the Depthborn relished in chaos without reason. They held no purpose. 


As such, they had no right to exist. They inspired only fear, and totality would never know peace while such beasts remained. The greatest threat to that plan, however, was the Depths' own Ruler. A powerful warrior in their own right, Zathas ruled their kingdom with a strong, overbearing yet… calm fist. They were pragmatic in a domain that was by all means only ever problematic. Lubaeron needed a method to avoid the Deep Lord's ever-present sight, and Cathay proved the best fitting candidate. 


With power second only to the Deep Lord, to turn the Archfiend of the Depths into one of his puppets would spell almost absolute victory for Lubaeron. 


Unfortunately, Cathay's stubbornness was without equal across the cosmos. Even the All-mighty Monarchs of the cosmos would find themselves hard pressed to find one more hard headed than her. As it were, that also included looking between those of their own numbers. She was prideful, as well as brazen beyond words. Without using the authority granted to them as a Ruler, Lubaeron would find the configuration of Cathay to be a difficult, time-consuming process. 


But not impossible. No. When in the Dreaming City any act, no matter how ludicrous or insignificant it may be, was manageable. All it took was effort, constant vigilance, and of course time


Often, it is said the denizens of the Depths know nothing of the fear of death. It isn't that they're ignorant of it, nor have they forgotten its chill. Instead, they do not allow it to take hold, and even the youngest of whelps continue onward in a frenzy regardless of whatever wounds they may sustain. The older a Depthborn grows the less they have to fear death, as very few things become capable of killing them in such advanced stages of their lives. 


The Primal Ones are no different, having grown so old it was widely accepted that they often could only be bested by those of comparable power or through the might of sovereignty which commanded the very laws and concepts composing creation. 


These primordial terrors could not be contained otherwise, and possessing legions of their very own broods it would be unwise to even attempt as much.


Lubaeron refused to accept this. Regardless of his reasoning, he would make Cathay bend the knee. In a cosmos where he ruled above all others, the First Dreamer refused to accept the likes of any who thought it possible to defy his will. 


He demanded that he would be the first to break a Primal. 


***


The monotony of life on Earth proved as dull and uneventful as the species of apes who held dominion over the planet. When compared to the awe inspiring events which occurred across existence on a temporal basis, some so grand they could be marked as historically influential for any universe, Earth by comparison seemed so… boring. 


Yes, flare, theatrics, and big words aside, that is what Cathay's mood could be summarized as.


She was so incredibly, unfathomably bored


Though, that wasn't necessarily a bad thing. If anything, Cathay might even consider it a fine change of pace after having to deal with the infrastructure of the Depths for thousands upon thousands of years. Despite being among creation's oldest entities she's only held her throne for… well, a time significantly less than the full encompassment of her life. It's been a blink in the grand scheme of things, and yet the migraines and issues she suffered were enough to last several hundreds of her lifetimes. 


Cathay wondered if all Rulers suffered similar issues, or if her situation was unique solely because of the Depths unruly nature. Her predecessors certainly didn’t suffer these sorts of difficulties, though for reasons entirely different from the issues she faced.


She couldn't even fault her own kind, having been just the same sort of bloodthirsty beast once upon a time. While no less spiteful than she was in the past, at least now she understands the importance of the refinement of one's lust for carnage. That certainly didn't mean she was free from any rising issues though.


No, it most certainly did not…


But any problems that came her way would be a secondary thought. A passing issue she was at liberty to ignore. Within reason of course, but thus far any threat she was aware of was something easily managed. 


Invading whelps, Angels seeking to raise their power, even descending Destroyers. Nothing that didn’t eventually solve itself. Could it be considered lazy? Perhaps… though Cathay saw no issue with that. 


Countless eternities of hardship, she deserved a break every now and then.


Let others do the dirty work for once, she was enjoying her boring reprieve from throne-bound duties. 


And she'd enjoy it more were her beloved Valerie here with her now, sitting besides the Ruler, wrapped up in a warm blanket and watching some horrible, human movie about the power of 'friendship'. Such drivel  would be allowed had the human decided to stay behind instead of work. But because Ravencroft now suddenly found themselves with a new, though incredibly reluctant, mayor it meant that Valerie once again had a steady source of income, along with her writer group. 


And unlike the last one, this new politician wasn't likely to try and turn the human population into a global mass of devoted followers. Cathay made sure to explain in detail what would happen if they did just that.


But because the system in the city had been fixed, it meant Valerie was unable to remain home as often as Cathay wished. While still technically a freelance writer, the bold human preferred to keep themselves busy when able. A trait Cathay both admired and despised. Were she to have it her way, Valerie wouldn't be leaving her side anytime soon. 


But such an act wouldn't be forced, even if it would be so easy. Cathay valued Valerie's freedom. Far more than the human might realize. Had they the opportunity to grant them even an ounce of divine power they would. Unfortunately, the eldest Armitage made it clear she wanted little to do with such "advantages", and Cathay could only respect that decision. 


So here she was, waiting for her mate to return home, like some loyal puppy. Raggedly dressed in the clothes she had slept in the night prior, her hair a complete mess, and biding her time by flicking from one channel to another on the apartment's TV. She only needed a tub of ice-cream to finish the ensemble befitting a couch potato. Unfortunately, the freezer was too far and Cathay was much too comfortable.


Unlike the monotonous nature behind simply existing on Earth, Cathay found herself genuinely disinterested with any show humanity had to offer. So many just spoke of the human spirit as though it were special. 


Again, total drivel, but at least she wasn't without complete entertainment. 


Cathay's legs extended past the couch as she just sank into the furniture's cushioned embrace. She stretched her limbs, flexing the toes of her bare feet specifically as she waited just long enough to feel a sudden, soothing heat at the base of her soles. The sensation traveled up the entire length of her body, showing the vigor of the one tending to her whims. 


"Ooooh, that is goood~," Cathay cooed. Peering down, she moved her foot slightly to the side to see her angelic servant, free from their form as a necklace once more and working to please their new master. Oh how far they've fallen to be pampering the lowest extremities of Cathay's body, and yet it was the highest honor they'd be granted currently, to provide comfort to a Ruler of such renown. “More-of-that, if you’d be so kind~.”


Even if her form was far from the shapes she’d used to assume in ages long past. The real markings of how she inspired such terror. 


Cathay's name was legendary for good reason, and this Little Birdy of hers needed a reminder of the power she possessed beyond her throne. Relying solely on her nigh-limitless power was a crutch that lessened the severity of her own natural actions, and as such it paid to exercise some older vices. It took some not so subtle coercing, threats here and there along with visions of heavenly devastation at the hands of the Depths. In time the Watcher began to understand their place and adapted quickly to their new lot in life. What made it all the more sweeter was just how much they hated this new position of theirs. 


Not quite broken-in just yet, but in time. All things in time. 


"See? I told you you'd get used to this~." The Angel hated Cathay, she knew this very well. And she loved every second of it, turning one meant to be so high and mighty into a personal plaything. A shame Valerie would disapprove of such behavior… but what she didn't know the better they'd both be off. "Though, I can't say massage work will be a constant in your future. Sure, the heat from your fire is nice and all, but those little bird arms of yours…'' Some angels were bred for combat while others only existed to observe suitable worlds for divine crusades and conversion. Not every cosmic being was a warrior capable of bench pressing a planet. Some were less impressive than even a dull ape. "They leave much to be desired. Why couldn’t you have been a seraphim? Now those are warriors worth me time." 


Not only was their strength far from ideal, but the Watcher had also done a very poor job of painting Cathay's nails. Looking down at her toes she positioned and scrunched the extremities around the Angel's head, slightly denying the eye-lined rings which comprised their cranium. "And let's not forget our little review over your workmanship here. I actually had faith you could paint my nails. Seemed a simple task at the time. Turns out you couldn't get that right. I mean, how do you even mess up the color black?" 


Cathay needed to do away with the poorly done appliance of polish and complete the task herself. Minimal in effort, but that's besides the point. It was time she didn’t need to waste. "You know, I'm starting to think you don't like this position of yours." 


Her voice never rises, nor does it falter. It carried the same disinterested tone it had when looking over hundreds of pointless television programs. "Like I said before, there are worse situations you could find yourself in," Cathay reminded the Angel as she began to lower her foot closer against the floor, forcing her prisoner beneath tons of soft sole flesh. "A lot worse. Believe it or not I'm actually one of their more sane Rulers out there. Lots of real nutcases out in the cosmos who possess far too much power for their own good." Mentally, Cathay could hear her little Songbird cry out in surprise as she applied more pressure with her foot. It would be so easy to crush their metallic form.


 Easy, but a wasted opportunity when she could instead inspire obedience her way. 


"Some would just snap their fingers at the slightest hint of displeasure and you'd simply cease to be." Cathay explained as she rubbed her foot up and down against the floor, enjoying the sensation of the Angel's body working into her soles' more sensitive spots. "Others would wipe your mind clean. Rewrite your very nature until they turn you into something that better suited their liking." 


Just when the pressure on the angelic Watcher's body seemed to reach its limit, mere moments away from flattening, relief came as Cathay pulled her foot away. "Me though? I prefer engraving important lessons into others. Teach them when they should bite…" allowing only a short reprieve, the Ruler raised her foot over her prisoner once more. She dangled it inches overhead, ready to resume her massage. "Or when they should bow~". 


There was a brief spark of defiance that was quickly ignited in response to Cathay's challenge. Familiar rantings passed through the Angel’s many thoughts, and they wondered why they should endure such humiliation. But the reminder of the foot overhead, along with the terrifying powers Cathay displayed, they knew struggling would amount to nothing. 


To Cathay’s delight, the Angel’s fighting spirit was doused with sudden realization and understanding. Things won't get better for the Angel if they keep fighting. Reluctantly, they raised their arms to meet the bottom of Cathay's foot, this time applying more force in their movements and using far more strength than before to please their captor. For their efforts they received a sigh of satisfaction above as the Ruler of the Depths continued to relax. "See Mure’hail? This can be a lot easier for the both of us if you just play your role." 


All thoughts within the Angel's head fell silent the moment they heard that name. 


Their name. 


Unable to look their tormentor in the eye, Mure’hail returned to their duties of keeping the Ruler above as happy as possible. 


Cathay smiled the moment she felt and saw a bit more of the Angel's defiant spirit break away. It doesn't take much, far less than some realize, to break ones’ ego. All it took was knowing the right information, choosing what buttons to push, as well as plenty of practice in the field of proper intimidation. Cathay could just flaunt her power, throw that great weight around to get what she wanted. She enjoyed the method greatly in fact, favoring it when she was allowed to kill. In the here and now though, where her capabilities were limited due to a promise, desired results demanded she get creative to meet her goals. A quick search through her captive's mind was all that was needed to learn their name amongst other things. 


The Heavens knew next to nothing of the capabilities of a Ruler despite the importance the title held. It couldn't be helped, and Cathay wouldn't hold their lack of knowledge against them. Their Domain, after all, lacked both a throne and a sovereign to assume the mantle of leadership. The only one who could have possibly assumed such responsibility had fallen early on into the Heavens' creation, assuming the throne of the many Hells that dotted infinity instead. Now, the Domain of the Divinity was ruled by the leading gods of various pantheons. While some were formidable in power, even noteworthy, without a Ruler to guide them the Heavens would never be able to fully grasp the power behind one such as Cathay. 


Again, she couldn't fault them for their naivety. Most who carried the spark of divinity were far too young to remember what could have been for their kingdom. Cathay possessed no such excuse. In her youth she was impulsive, reckless, more a beast than the whelps she reprimanded. 


Most of all she was idiotic. The Angel beneath her was not, though she wouldn’t voice that out loud. Only stubborn, just as she once was. Young and naïve, whereas she was just a fool. 


Because of her actions in the past, her ascension to the throne of the Depths seemed almost fated. She misjudged the reach of a Ruler, their power, and was imprisoned because of it. While she did free herself in time, the ramifications of such actions carried on into the present in the form of ancient memories. 


Flashbacks and dreams better left buried but in time rose to the surface regardless of Cathay's efforts to ignore them. 


In some odd way, she resonated with the Angel massaging away at her foot, working their little hands in between her toes. Cathay, in some infinitesimally small measure, saw herself in her captive. More specifically, that defiant nature. While not as easily broken here, Cathay now wondered what could she have done in the past to prevent her present position. 


It wasn’t as though she was displeased with her position. Without it she’d never have this level of luxury and quiet. But her throne came with issues, as well as musings of the ancient past. There are still times where Cathay wondered if others in her Domain were better suited to the task of ruling.

If there was any who could potentially replace her through Depthborn customs.

She supposed it didn’t matter now though. Cathay cast the die long, long ago, and she wasn’t even aware of it at the time. There was no point in regretting ancient history. 


What’s done is done, and Cathay would do well to just let the past remain as such. 


***


Where once there was anger, rage, now there instead was a mind numbing silence that gave way to greater concerns than any star snuffing roar. The Dreaming City found itself still, quiet, waiting for anything to occur. 


Their prisoner, their captive, had grown cold. Cathay's previous attempts at escape had ceased and her tree by extension was allowed to flourish with budding blossoms that signaled the conversion of soul uplifted to the Kingdom of Dreams. The thousands which surrounded the great structure knew, in this moment, that their domain had won. That Lubaeron's will, the will of their master, had finally prevailed over the Archfiend of the Depths. 


They were rewritten. Molded into something which their master could use for future conquests. It was a mentally exhausting battle. One that had gone on for far too many eternities. In the time it had taken to turn Cathay, hundreds of thousands of galactic civilizations had risen and fallen alongside the gods so many of them worshiped. 


Now their struggles were over, and the Dreaming City could breathe a sigh of relief. 


Or at least that was the hope; quickly dashed once the great ivory tree began to creak


It was low at first. A rumble that soon turned into yet another guttural cry of rage. Then, from the ivory tree’s sudden cracking came a flash of virulent luminosity that burned away the budding blossoms of finality. A calamitous shower of light that tore through silver branches and leaves of golden splendor. It burned magnificently, dwarfing anything any within the Dreaming City could have dreamed of, falling to ruin as any beneath the mountain-size tree were caught in a hail of ash and death; crushed beneath the prison meant to house their personal demon who now hung above their shattered means of confinement, suspended in the air despite possessing no means of flight. 


Cathay ripped through her brilliant containment with blasphemous power and unrestrained hate, this time managing to utterly annihilate the chains which bound her to the Dreaming City. Allowing herself to be remade, she now cared little for the form she would take and relied solely on her mind to resist greater alteration. Cathay ceased resisting the physical revisions of her form, allowing it to be molded so that she'd find greater opportunity to escape. 


It was a difficult task, requiring extreme control and awareness to ensure she did not lose herself to her enemy. Even a moment's delay would have rendered Cathay subservient to the First Dreamer. Being stuck in one of the City’s trees though, a means of evolution in and of themselves, allowed the Archfiend much time to practice patience. She waited silently, biding her time so that when the opportunity to strike came she didn't waste her chance. When at last the moment of her defiance came to be once more, she used the newly acquired strength granted to her to tear her prison apart. 


Pooling the power which had tried to alter her on a conceptual level, she breached what had never been breached before, and in so doing defied the direct will of the most feared Ruler: Lubaeron. 


Free once again, Cathay wasted no time in turning her wrathful gaze towards those who tried to stand against her. Keep her contained like some louse. Those who wished to see her fade with nary a whimper, now forced to witness her rising, roaring power. They would try to fight back, they always tried to fight back, but deep down Cathay knew each and every one of her jailers understood this to be their last few minutes of life. 


Far below the shattered tree the warriors and heroes of the Dreaming City found themselves transfixed by the Archfiends newest shape. A form which evoked something akin to… undead royalty; regal, demanding audience to any able to witness this terrible metamorphosis. With dry, flaking skin encrusted in what appeared to be some form of carapace, a natural armor meant to contain her awesome power no doubt, this new appearance was by and large the strangest Cathay had taken. 


But it was positively bursting with potential. A whole new tree of evolution, branching paths of growth once blocked off to her. No more imperfections. No more impurities. Refined to the point that she no longer felt unstable, Cathay felt as though her frail visage did her newly acquired power injustice. Her strength was nothing to scoff at before, but this? All the possible transformations she could gain through the gathering of greater power?


It just felt too good. 


The army below her floating form wasted no time in trying to defend their domain, useless though their efforts were. Those who possessed some means of reaching Cathay never met their mark, the slightest alteration to reality turning any and all ranged attacks of their world-slaying weapons against their users, decimating about… oh, little more than one third of their own forces. The Dreaming City was no planet; it was far heartier than any celestial body. That said, it bled spectacularly when torn apart by its own warriors. Humiliating, and fun to witness as those unsure of what to do panicked immediately. Even from this distance Cathay could tell that several had emptied their bowels upon witnessing this small display of power. The greater majority were unsure of what to do, or how they could even possibly fight back. Limited to weapons meant for closer ranged combat, far too many ‘heroes’ were bound onto the ground, forced to look above as their hated foe, their wrath fueled demon, remained suspended in the air far from their reach. 


The guardians, those titanic, mindless brutes who defended the Dreaming City without question, were the only force Cathay needed to visibly move against. They possessed both the scale and necessary power to pose some minor threat to her if given the chance to attack. Already, several moved to reach out towards the newly ascended Depthborn, their silver laced, metallic forms straining like steel housing in a storm. They were fast. Far faster than those their size had any right to be, appearing as little more than a blur to those beneath their monolithic legs. To Cathay however, their movements were… less than sluggish. A feature granted to her through this new perception of hers; unlocked through the possession of a literal ‘third eye’ in the center of her head. Not the evolutionary path she would have chosen, and if able she’d get rid of the additional ocular sense, but at this moment it came in quite handy. 


Events played out slower, moving at such a pace that, were Cathay not aware of her own biological and metaphysical changes, she might have assumed they stopped moving all together. 


It gave her time to plan possible retaliation. Something fitting the humiliation she had to endure for untold eons. A small display of power, just enough to make those who tried to make her bow bend the knee instead. Sure, some might break a few bones from the pressure she planned to exert, and fewer still might even rupture as a result as well, but that’s a risk she was more than pleased to take. 


Raising a single finger to her mouthless lips, Cathay uttered only a single, whispered hush, and found the effects to be devastating. A glow enveloped her body as a low hum escaped her entire being. It traveled forward, finding itself embedded in the minds of all present and able to hear her call. Few noticed a similar, magenta glow wrap around their bodies while most were only unsettled by the ease with which Cathay acted. That wasn’t a hint of effort, nor was their malice felt; meticulously hidden behind simple motions. Many opened their mouths to cry out in surprise, only to find themselves unable to gasp as each and every one of their vital functions simply… stopped. 


Even the massive titans that were the guardians found themselves taken aback by this sudden change, the energies and powers which kept them alive and subservient failing as, for perhaps the first time in an eternity, clarity returned to their beings… only to be ripped away nanoseconds after. 


The bodies of all who heard Cathay’s fatal hymn fell into themselves, calcifying before crumbling away as though they had gone through thousands of years of decomposition in but a few moments. Those strong enough to withstand the sudden failing of their physical flesh could only watch in terror as they were forced to experience every excruciating second  of their own cells dying off one by one at a pace they could never hope to combat. 


It wasn’t long until Cathay found herself alone, overlooking what used to be an army a thousand strong, possessing the means and weapons to challenge almost any army across creation. Those that didn’t crumble away completely were left as monuments to her horrid deed; a reminder of the terror a Primordial Beast such as her could enact even after having returned from the cusp of death. 


Suffice to say she may have overdone it just a smidge. 


It wasn’t as though her action was intentional. There was no fun to be had from straight away killing her victims. She only wished to humiliate her jailers, inspire such fear that they’d never think to cross her or any like her again. The patience of a Primal was not something to be tested after all, and as far as Cathay was concerned she had been very patient. Instead of demonstrating undeniable terror, however, the Archfiend had unintentionally exerted too much of her newly acquired power. In so doing she had killed all those she wished to torment further. It was an error on her part. The type which was likely to draw unwanted attention within the currently unattended Domain.


 The strength granted to her through the Dreaming City was a complicated one to properly control it seemed. 


There was a melody associated with the Domain of Dreams. A song more felt than heard that resonated with all beings across the cosmos. The living, the inorganic, the undead or spiritual, even the demonic were a part of this song. It connected all things through the notes of its hymn, turning the smallest of thoughts into some form of reality within the confines of the Dreaming City, hence its name. A potent power to be sure, one with limitless capabilities, though only when in the City's borders. Only the City’s Ruler and his peers could exercise his Domain’s power beyond its borders. Anyone else and the melody would remain still, stagnant, ever-connecting but immutable.  


It was the closest thing to omnipotence Cathay could accept, and even then the thought was like bile of her nonexistent tongue. 


No wonder all manner of creatures were so easily altered when confined within the Dreaming City. When faced with the power to accomplish literally anything, a feat allowed only to the highest echelon of existence, the very notion abolished everything the new hierarchy of the cosmos worked towards. The First Dreamer stood at the highest seat within creation, ruling over his Domain and likely viewing himself superior to his peers. No doubt the power of the Dreaming City, a might they take great pride in, was something they fiendishly guarded to continue on with their sense of superiority. 


And now Cathay had that very same power, in a much smaller measure of course but it was still granted to her with the idea that she, like every other soul who had fallen to Lubaeron’s will, would lose their sense of self and bend the knee. Now here she was, free to do as she pleased, the same as ever, while being able to lay to waste whole armies with but a single word. What a wonderful development this was. 


Unfortunately, as the sky above this ruined section of the city grew dark, and soon after filled with countless, maddened, and enraged eyes, Cathay knew she had run out of time. With another whisper, her hymn of entropy carried out into the void beyond the blackened sky, drifting into the domains which might hear her. 


Not a cry for help, nor was it a whimper. It was a universally sung declaration of resistance. Not even the most feared Ruler of this age could break one of the oldest and most powerful Depthborn the Deep Wastes had to offer. Cathay wondered if such defiance would reach her home and spur her kin to act against the Dreaming City. She’s certainly killed off a substantial portion of their forces. Further action against this kingdom would essentially finish what she started. 


Something told her deep down though that she wouldn’t live long enough to see such beautiful devastation for herself.    


It didn’t come as much of a surprise to see the First Dreamer appear above Cathay, arriving with a death-laden wind that seemed to decay the very stars above. They appeared in an instant, out of nowhere, with their crimson skin flaring brighter than ever before, reflecting the anger they felt for this horrible transgression. Unrivaled power dwelled just beneath the surface of their being, and each one of Lubaeron's eight eyes glared down at the Archfiend which had brought ruin to his kingdom… understanding she alone did not cause this disaster.  


Cathay wished she had a mouth in this form, only so that Lubaeron could see her prideful grin. She didn’t even think herself capable of such a function and yet… This may very well be the first time in her life where she could actually smile. To see that anger in the First Dreamer’s face, to see the sorrow and hatred in their eyes. There was no greater high in any universe. Even if her actions this day were a guaranteed death sentence, the fact that Cathay was here because of Lubaeron’s actions, that he sentenced his own people to a painful demise the moment he thought he could control a Primordial of the Depths, was sweeter than any soul consumed.


She wished to speak, to insult the Ruler further and really tear into that wound that no doubt was forming in the very deepest parts of their spirit. Cathay wanted to blame Lubaeron, tell them it was their fault their people died here. 


Instead, only silence remained. The same silence Cathay endured as she waited for her moment to tear through her confines. It was… appropriate. It allowed the First Dreamer the chance to really take in all that they’ve done through trying to attain more control than they were worth. 


Before long however, Lubaeron’s body erupted into an explosion of indescribable fury. Whatever energy rested behind the Ruler’s breast fought its way to the surface, exploding through their back and rising in a column of bloodied flames. It spiraled without control, flooding the blackened sky above, burning away the eyes and turning them foul. Everything above grew distorted, disturbed, as a violent heat threatened to burn away the entire plane of reality that housed the dreaming kingdom. It would grow without reason, reducing even matter into oblivion. Terrain, buildings, and corpses alike were melted down in a flash of heat that dwarfed those of the very first infernos which granted the cosmos light and structure. 


The only one unaffected by this sudden release of power and rage was Cathay, her melody protecting her body but also giving her a frontal viewing of something she couldn’t dare challenge, even now at the height of her journey thus far. 


Still, she did not show fear. If anything, her pride only grew as she thought of the fact that she alone was capable of pushing one of the all-mighty Rulers this far. Not just any Ruler at that, but Lubaeron himself. The one whose Domain acted as the birthplace of conceptions hierarchy. 


Closing her eyes, Cathay embraced her inevitable fate. Her perception of time allowed each passing moment to drag on for what appeared to be hours, letting a single thought last longer than intended. Even with that feature granted to her she knew escape was impossible. There was no place she could flee to that would grant her safety. No god she could consume that would give her the needed power to fight back, or no domain which could offer sanctuary. The moment she slew Lubaeron’s faithful was the moment she signed away her life. 


Only erasure awaited her now, and Cathay’s one hope was that her cry into the void would spur her kin to tear this Ruler apart. 


She waited one second, wondering just what nonexistent might feel like. Though, then again she supposed it wouldn’t feel like anything. Even she was having a hard time picturing such a thing. 


On the second after she thought nonexistent wasn’t so bad. Enough time had gone by to where Lubaeron had surely passed their judgment. She had expected more, and received little in the way of discomfort. 


It was on the third where she realized that didn’t make any sense and that something was amiss. 


Opening the singular eye in the center of her head, Cathay was left awestruck to be cast in the protective shadow of another. A large, draconic, yet heavenly being, possessing six wings, and qualities befitting one of the Depths. Though they possessed no eyes to see, nothing that existed was capable of escaping their sight. A godlike figure strong enough to not only challenge the natural might of the First Dreamer, but also their authority as a Ruler. 


The only one who heeded her call of defiance and answered accordingly: the First Ruler of the Depths, Zathas. 


A fellow Primordial and Cathay’s equal in age, they had ascended to their throne through might as well as a quality unseen in the Depths… serenity. Calm and unfamiliar warmth that soothed the bloodlust felt within all Depthborn. Far from a peaceful being, damning many a galaxy to apathy and eventual extinction, Zathas was often viewed as an entity deprived of a warrior’s spirit. Yet still, their power was respected even without their authority, and their sacrifice when binding themselves to their kingdom was understood. Though their rule was overbearing, even tyrannical in some ways, it brought a sense of stability unheard of across the Depths. 


Cathay had never had a chance to converse with the Ruler, nor did she ever care to. It was a waste of time in her eyes, and before now she never even placed them in their thoughts. They ruled with the closest thing comparable to kindness that could be found in the Deep Wastes. A trait wasted in territory where only the strongest may survive. Yet in the here and now, with that same kindness placing Zathas between one of his own and the fury of a fellow ruler, she couldn’t help but find herself enraptured. 


Cast in their ever shifting shadow, watching as the distorted city around them all shifted and stirred like shadows along a seabed, Cathay felt something akin to joy, seeing now that she had a chance at continued survival; and deeper down she felt the embers of that which was reminiscent of… respect? 


The only Ruler she had met prior was unfortunately Lubaeron, a poor introduction to the caste that governed creation. Now though, to be cast in the protective shadow of the Depths’ King… her Ruler… She understood well what allowed them to rise to their position. 


A desire to defend their kingdom from all who wished it harm. To allow the Depthborn the chance to grow and evolve, just as they had always done, while also instilling something new. Something separate of what they’ve known since before time immemorial. 


Altruism…

Unfathomable. Inconceivable. Cathay’s mind could not grasp such selflessness, and in her daze she was unaware of a tear forming behind her. Vibrant in colors, possessing the likes of spectrums not seen by mortal eyes, Zathas had torn open a breach between the Dreaming City and the Depths. One that would not remain open for long, only allowing enough time to grant their kin safety. 


There was no greater humiliation than to be saved by another, but once her faculties returned Cathay realized she had no other option. Lubaeron’s anger was such that both she and Zathas knew conflict was an inevitability. Someone was bound to die this day, and were the Ruler of the Depths to have his way it would not be one of his own kin. 


So… Cathay fled. Finding safety in the breach behind her, watching as it began to close, shielding her from the scene unfolding beyond. She saw Lubaeron summon a scythe of silver, refined by the cold found between the stars. Zathas in turn forged a sword rippling with the fury of the Depths, maintained through the energies of a self-contained breach. While no clash was observed, it was felt. 


As across all dominions, even in the deepest territory the Depths had to offer, every soul across totality felt the first clash between two tyrants. Two kings. Two Rulers.


A collective breath was held by trillions upon trillions of intergalactic species, as even those unaware of the cosmic hierarchy felt deep within their bones that something unfathomable had changed within creation. Like a dire, sinking feeling felt in the pit of your stomach, in these passing minutes there was no soul that did not feel the clashing of two beings greater than even the most supreme of gods.  


Yet none felt it as clearly as Cathay. 


Alone in her Domain she was left only with thoughts of sacrifice and righteousness. The qualities which had made Zathas a leader worth following. She… wished she had settled the matter of her faltering evolutions earlier. Deep down, she believed she’d have very much liked to serve under such a Ruler. To see how they led those that demanded only carnage and battle. It would have been interesting. Maybe even inspiring. Eye-opening. 


From the one act of altruism, Cathay felt Zathas to be an acceptable leader. Perhaps the only being she’d have seen as her superior. Now they were fated to fall at the hands of one she infuriated.  


The humiliations never ended it seemed. Even worse, the Archfiend felt… regret over being so weak. Weak enough that despite being one of the totality's oldest living souls she was forced to flee.


Like some gnat. 


So… Cathay made a vow. 


Just as she had exhibited patience before to free herself from her once thought unassailable bindings, the Archfiend would do so again. 


For as long as she was kept away from the First Dreamers wretched sight and grasp she would bid her time. She would plan, and she would scheme…


Until the chance arose where Cathay could rip the still beating heart from Lubaeron’s chest. 

End Notes:

See? What'd I say? Didn't take me horribly long this time. Bout a week? I call that a victory! You know the rules by now, rating and review, they always appreciated. Til the next one!

Chapter 5: Rising Succession by Viper07
Author's Notes:

Sometimes, the succeed in war, you need only stand back and watch as others do the heavy work for you

How Valerie ever doubted the existence of those of an eldritch nature served to completely baffle Cathay. Especially when she took into major consideration the environment in which her beloved human grew up in. A city reeking of the unexplained, Ravencroft was absolutely seeped in the scent of the unfathomable. Questionable beginnings and uncertain futures; It was almost impossible for her to ignore, and while not possessing the redolence of the Depths, bearing an odor more reminiscent of the Outer Gods beyond the Ultimate Gate, it was still something a logical-natural mind might prove unable to overlook. Cathay fully suspected the citizens of the city had had their bloodlines ‘blessed’ with the influence of the outer dark. 


A kingdom separate of the Depths and possibly even the Void; powerful, but certainly no domain. The Gods of the pantheon were formidable, greatly so, but they possessed no Lord; not truly. They weren't of any concern to existing domains. That said, they were still far above mankind. To see the influence of those misshapen deities reach here was of little surprise. 


There was instead astonishment over Valerie's previous denial of the existence of things so far beyond the ken of man. For what else could one who denied the nature of the cosmos be other than astonishing? 


She did not believe her brother, Jason, when he revealed the existence of something otherworldly just beyond Ravencroft’s borders, visiting the pier that neighbored the wide, deep sea. In her brothers’ subsequent kidnapping Valerie began to develop doubts over her previous beliefs of Ravencroft’s normality, and when she had begun to date Cathay all previous notions of the denial of cosmic truths went out the window. 


But that denial had still been present at one point, and regardless of Valerie’s views now it still perplexed Cathay how her dear human was able to go so long without ever realizing something was amiss in her childhood stomping grounds. It wasn’t natural. This city seemingly untouched by time in appearance and customs wasn’t normal. 


That said neither was Valerie, in both habits and qualities of the mind. She was bold and brave in the face of just about anything, and even now knowing that her city could be populated with those who have been touched by the outer dark of the cosmos or terrors of the deep sea she still faced the day without so much as a worry. Really, her only previous concern was her home City’s loss of a mayor, an issue that was quickly remedied. 


It was all rather… incredible. 


Yes… that was the word Cathay believed felt fitting given the circumstances of Valerie’s capability to see that which often broke minds. Incredible. Such a stalwart soul was exceptionally rare in a species as fragile as man. They possessed a resilient mind, far more than that of their brother’s who through his own natural resistances was capable of peering into the eyes of one whose very nature sent entire populations spiraling into unending madness. Histeria and devotion. 


Something clearly lurked beyond the surface of their human skin. Not entirely of the Depths, Cathay would have sensed that long ago. 


Perhaps an offshoot? Or a domain which had been devoured long ago? The Abyss came to mind, a former kingdom of infinite darkness that was young when the Depths had breached the veil of reality into its vast territories. Though fierce, their dominion fell just as quickly as their rising Ruler; a lesser one compared to the greater powers of creation. There were survivors however, and as such the denizens of the long dead kingdom could have influenced some of the ape’s on earth, altering their bloodlines. 


That was just one theory though. Whatever the case, it had to have been something powerful to defend against the blood-raged nature of the Depthborn. Even the resilient mind of a scholar would break when peering into the eyes of something as grand as a Primal whereas Jason and Valerie might very well be unaffected. Jason had already met the Pale God Ordegash and lived with much of his own faculties intact. Perhaps there was some form of straining upon the mind, but that didn’t lessen the feat in any sort of way. A human, though altered, had met a Primordial force of creation and lived.    


They perplexed the mind. The whole of the Armitage bloodline. So much so that Cathay wondered just how many humans on this little planet possessed the means of harboring resistance against the immutable. In some sense, it explained Valerie’s prior defiance to the existence of eldritch forces. Such protection against the unfathomable provides a strange sense of… normality. The strange and seemingly impossible wasn’t believed because such forces had already existed around her, so intricately woven into Valerie’s life that it couldn’t have been anything BUT normal to her. It was so odd to think that only through a chance meeting with both the Ruler of the Depths and its legendary Butcher was the bold human finally willing to open her mind to the possibilities beyond her strange city. 


She was seeing things differently now, aware of the oddities prevalent in Ravencroft. That was good. It meant Valerie might be willing to accept even stranger occurrences. It wouldn’t be long now until she began to question the appearance of some of the city’s denizens. People she had grown up alongside her entire life whose appearances she never questioned before because of the simple reason that she never needed to. Bulging, watery eyes, wide mouths with thick lips, and shriveled necks with strange birthmarks in the shape of gills; all traits seen in a wide number of Ravencroft’s population. Not all possessed these traits, the Armitage line included, but the majority did. 


And they all carried that stench of the ‘uplifted’. Sea touched. Blessed by outer forces. 


These altered humans were quite the repugnant crowd. Very distrustful of outsiders to their city; Cathay unfortunately included among those numbers. Already she’s been pushed aside when walking down city streets, kept against a wall to have it “explained” to her how she wasn’t exactly welcomed. She’d have found such actions amusing, if not outwardly insulting, and almost ALWAYS ended with her would-be assailant on the floor, clutching their head in unrestrained agony as their eyes bled out from the smallest crumbs of cosmic truth she’d bestowed upon them. 


Were Cathay to be asked, it’d be kinder to kill such people. If all these apes did was get offended and act distrustful of others then what point was there to their existence? They served no purpose other than to point out the flaws within certain blood mingling with that of a lesser creature, creating offspring that just shrieked failure; mistake. But a promise was a promise, And so Cathay could only make them wish for death instead. But the threats of Ravencroft’s citizens never ended, and she had had to deal with more than a few groups of foolish assaulters. They understood the value of a life well enough, running at the first sign that challenging the Ruler of the Depths was an idiotic move. But they didn’t seem to possess enough intelligence to spread such information around. As such, Cathay was forced to deal with the odd gathering of ‘fish-eye folk’ every now and then. 


Even here, as she walked through the city’s streets alone, enjoying the cold night breeze, Cathay could hear the thoughts of those who waited hidden in the shadows, just beyond the clacking of her own boots. More of the disgusting, oily faced populace wishing to teach her a lesson. An act that will likely end in broken bones, shattered minds, and a complete snuffing of the will to live. Normally, were Valerie to have accompanied her, the Ruler would have allowed such thoughts to pass. But the human was forced onto her laptop back at home, working late to reach a deadline even though it was meant to be a planned day off. Unfortunate…


Yet also salubrious for the deeper tastes of Cathay. She’s been kept at bay long enough, and though death might not be an option when it came to appeasing some baser desires, there were still ways the Archfiend could enjoy herself. 


She enjoyed handling certain tasks personally. The bloodier the better. It was her definition of ‘fun’. A pastime less explored now because of her throne, it didn’t matter if she was dealing with a pantheon of gods who have hounded the Depths for too long or a group of assailants less than atoms to her, some matters just needed a more intimate touch. 


It was reminiscent of old, ancient days, and even if Cathay’s actions in the present were abysmally minor by comparison they still brought out an ounce of enjoyment: satisfaction. 


It was important to enjoy what you did when you could do it. That was just a simple fact of life. Her status as a Ruler had deprived Cathay of much of her old pleasures and so, with each step she took, as she inched closer to yet another group of unfortunate and foolishly brave souls, she found herself looking forward to what she might do to these misinformed mutants of lowly apes. 


Fragile though they were, there was no end to the range of torment she could invite upon their soft flesh. So easily mangled, molded into something that pleased her senses. Like the angel around her neck, Cathay might even think it time to add some new pieces of jewelry to her horde. 


But nothing, no matter how cruel, could ever compare to the hardships she brought down upon the dreaming city; her magnum opus of malignity. Her trophy of terror. A reputation ruined, a city besieged by constant slaughter at the hands of not just the Depths but every domain with a force fit to challenge the once mightiest kingdom. And Cathay never even had to raise a hand in the beginning. There was beauty in that, strange though it might seem coming from one of the Deep Wastes. 


Watching from the shore. Acting as an observer, an instigator, rather than an attacker. 


Sometimes, to win a battle, you don’t always need to raise your sword or brandish your teeth. You only need to let the ignorant fight for you, in your name, unaware. 


Patience… there was elegance in that. It made the hunt so much better when exercised. 



***


There was strength in claw and tooth; power in rage. In wrath. 


But in deception there was elegance.


In plotting… There was a silent progression. Advancement made with nary a roar. 


A simple lie resounding across the firmament, reaching the ears of any foolish enough to listen. 


Among those vast numbers were those brazen enough to move against the Dreaming City. 


Zathas had stricken the First Dreamer deeply, though it had cost them their life; wounding the Crimson Bastard on such a level that their authority, their very throne, bled profusely: metaphysically wounded. A possibility undreamt of even by the most ambitious of souls. Lubaeron was revered. Deemed unassailable by all, even those who held a throne. Yet he was bled, and though still very much alive they had been humiliated. 


All things felt it. Every creature that carried with it the spark of life and a dream could feel the dwindling strength of the mightiest Lord. 


They were fading slowly, struggling to recover from their wounds.  


Zathas left a deep mark in the history of the cosmos. 


Though the throne of the Deep possessed a new Ruler they were a far cry from the power the First possessed. They lacked their drive, their spirit. Everything which defined their nature and allowed for the strikes which bleed he who had never known pain before. Unworthy of Cathay’s respect, The Second to Rule could never hope to rise to the call of the First’s battle. They were weak even for a Primal and only served to maintain the small semblance of stability left in Zatha’s absence. They could never hope to take part in the calamitous conflict which had racked the pillars of creation. 


It must have been glorious… 


Many warriors would have dreamed of having witnessed such a reality shaking skirmish. To watch as beings greater than any god duke it out in a war of opposing wills; their very thoughts shaping their battlefield. Birthing and rending countless new forms of physics between their mighty strikes, so many would jump at the chance of experiencing such an existence. Even if it were only for a few moments. 


But not Cathay. The only being she might have kneeled to had given their life to preserve her own. For no reason other than that she was a citizen of their kingdom. Altruism and righteousness at its finest.


 Pointless… but she'd be damned if their sacrifice wouldn't mean anything. The Archfiend owed Zathas nothing in their death, yet she would move in their name regardless. 


A price to pay for not just having her hide saved but for also having left the Depths in such a poor state. Many of her kin would need to devour more feverishly if they wished to survive without their First Ruler. They would need to prepare for conflict that was certain to transpire. If not then the Deep Wastes faced unfamiliar vulnerability. 


Lubaeron would recover in time but the damage was already done. The cosmos knew the mightiest was vulnerable. It knew they had slain the Ruler of the Depths. That they had been wounded.


It is why Cathay still lives to plot against her old foe. Her nemesis. Their authority, their power, was fractured. Mending slowly but broken long enough that they could not act against the devil who got away. 


Good. It meant Cathay had time to plan. And she’d need as much time as she’d be allowed to finish what had been started. 


Circumstances and threats aside she found this to be exciting. 


Maybe a tad bit too exciting for one as old as her…


But she enjoyed the privilege of cunning nonetheless. Guiding the hands of many kingdoms from the shadows, turning them against the chief Tyrant Dreamer. It doesn't take much convincing; the Dreaming City despite its stature was generally looked upon poorly. Lubaeron wasn’t well liked, nor were his practices widely accepted by current powers. That said, few would ever go against his word. Many coveted the might his domain possessed and for good reason. There were no equals to the potential the Dreaming City manifested. Of course none would stand against Lubaeron and his armies. It was a Fool's errand to fight against such forces. 


And yet Cathay had devastated their armies, and brought ruin to the City's brilliance. It was crippled. Humiliated before Zathas even striked. It was no wonder she was wished dead. 


Cathay’s continued existence was an affront to the Domain of Dreams influence. 


When weakness was sensed many rallied against the chief dominion, and with Cathay's exaggerated lies whispered into the ears of kings and queens betrayal was a certainty. A silver tongue proved sharper than any blade, and armies of idiots wielded weapons in her stead. 


Her own experiences were proven to be wonderful fuel to the rising flames of disorder. Cathay’s tales of her own suffering within the towering ivory trees, as well as the goal of the Depths' destruction, had been exaggerated. Blown out of proportion to such an extent that now the greater expanse of Infinity believed Lubaeron had been plotting to rid himself of all opposition; Remake creation in his own image and rule as the sole Sovereign of Creation. Even if that meant crushing those few that remained loyal.


An obvious lie, but one that could not go ignored, especially when distrust was already sewn among those who sat in their thrones idly waiting for the First Dreamer to succumb to his wounds. It wasn’t long before the fools of the cosmos took to the lie without issue, either believing in the false truth with all their hearts or using it as an excuse to finally push back against what they viewed as Lubaeron’s oppression. Populations fattened themselves on Cathay's deceit, swelling their numbers into armies that would not break even against the wellspring of possibility. They all fully turned against the First Dreamer and his kingdom working in cooperation that hadn’t been seen since the Heaven’s culling. 


It was oddly beautiful. 


Foolish, to see so many give in to the Archfiend’s lies, but beautiful all the same.  


To watch newly risen Guardians of the Dreaming City crumble at the hands of Destroyers. To hear the screams of survivors as they were ripped apart by Depthborn. Any who fled the bloodshed, trying to find refuge on other worlds, instead found themselves subservient to angels and gods who waited patiently for such opportunities to swell the numbers of believers. All domains, beyond even those three, worked in strange harmony. Never fully aligned but facing off against what they perceived to be a greater threat. 


It proved amusing, and it gave Cathay ample time to plot her own means of defiance once more. 


War was well and good, especially when said war was directed towards her nemesis, but it was a means to an end. A front, a diversion, keeping all distracted from her true intentions. 


Machinations seen in quiet observation, as on a lone planet the Archfiend observed the blackened skies above from a ruined city so small she need only swipe her hand to wipe it away completely; a demonstration of size and power. A conquest of hers, ruination allowed through the war which rocked totality. Very few eyes of enemies were upon her, and though this was not a location which served the Dreaming City it was still a needed vantage point to observe the starless sky above. Not a single point of light could be seen, and the weak species of this world were already well panicked as a result. Her arrival was the nail in the coffin for them, and their minds broke upon witnessing the burning eyes of her new, maddening form.


Returning to the process of evolving herself again, the Archfiend made up for lost time within great ivory trees, hunting those who might alter her form; deities and angels especially. Since her escape from Lubaeron’s clutches Cathay had consumed more essence, amassed greater power for her retribution, and while her form is relatively mundane compared to previous iterations, appearing quite angelic in truth, her size has increased to better maintain her extraordinary strength. It swelled up to portions rather rare within the Depths, shooting past thousands upon thousands of meters. Quite literally larger than life in the minds of some, and any who saw her and did not know of her origins might even mistake the Primordial to be of angelic descent, granted one with qualities of the deep. A pale, sickly green to a newly formed skin with only the barest amount of chitin that once served as armor, paired with an ever present slickness that gave off the image of having just been pulled free from a body of water. Her form, though towering beyond reason, was alluring in appearance. The first of its kind in the list were the now many alterations of Cathay’s body. A definite improvement from previous steps in her evolutionary chain, and finally a step in the direction she desired. Fierce. Fetching. Now if only she had the wings she so craved.



She had no clue why that alone continued to elude her. 


The form was of such grandeur that she wasn’t certain what broke the mortal minds of this lone little planet. Her newfound beauty, her scale, or her nature as a primordial terror. Cathay supposed It didn’t matter though. Whether she was majestic or a monster the lives of lesser creatures were of little consequence. Whole settlements of the living crunched beneath the Archfiend's footfalls as her sights were drawn elsewhere. 


The sky above was stagnant, nary a motion to show off anything out of the ordinary. Off in the Void however she could see it… hear it, the sounds of battle. A clash that soon blew up into a chaotic symphony. A roar which would have annihilated Cathay’s planet had she not shielded it through the exertion of her own power; her magic. Such terrible power, it was no wonder no stars remained in the cold expanse above. They had all been wiped out. Most likely by the very roar which rang out again, issue challenge to any who would hear. 


It was a Calling. A rite of the Depths created by Zathas's successor to challenge mighty foes. Acting as a compulsion, when answered the call must always be heeded, even by a Ruler. It was a law which forced two beings to fight on a more even playing field, relying on their own strengths rather than powers gifted; taken might rather than any that was given. Its main purpose was to serve as a means of finding the right successor to the Throne of the Deep. Battle for the authority to rule. It prevents the Ruler from using strength beyond anything which was natural. It kept the ‘omnipotent’ from willing away adversities. Anathema to the all-mighty, the Calling forced the rule Survival of the Fittest in its most pure of forms. 


Though not the original intention of its creator it was the key Cathay needed to challenge Lubaeron. Though weakened greatly she knew she’d never be able to face a Ruler, especially one of his caliber. Worst still, the Calling was a limited law, restricted to those who called the Depths their home. But if she could find some way to harness that rite, reshape its concept into something that can be used against those beyond her kingdom, then she’d have the chance she craved to finish what her Lord could not. 


Lubaeron was strong because of his power and position. They were the first and only lord of their Domain. They never had to work for that power, they never needed to rise. Their natural strength was lacking. This was the truth. Cathay just needed the properties to bring the Calling into a physical form. Force it into the tapestry that was the canvas of creation. A sacrilegious plot… but she had all the freedom in the cosmos now that creation itself had turned its back on the Domain of Dreams. No one would stop her as the threat she posed was far less concerning than the lies she spread of Lubaeron and his crusade. If any knew then it would be too late to impede the Archfiend’s progress.   


Cathay just needed the right materials. Ontological in nature, and some far simpler to acquire than others. But none were as difficult as procuring as the potential of a worthy successor. One who would take the throne of an existing Tyrant. 


That was tricky. Such beings were nurtured. Guided by predecessors to rise to the mantle. Developed needed qualities, acquired desirable traits. In the Deep Wastes it was a strong hand and refined bloodlust that was looked for in a Successor, but for rivaling kingdoms the qualities often varied, and not always was this art of succession practiced. There was no easy way to acquire the potential. Still, Cathay needed to try. 


So she searched for such beings, moving through a war stricken tapestry once more with singular purpose. While she dined on what she could, the leftovers of her kin as well as the bodies of those who had fallen, she focused purely on her task at hand. She never deviated for long. It took time, and she buried many who got in her way. Cathay loathed giving the Crimson Bastard the time he needed to heal, but there was little choice in the matter. 


Eventually she found it. The final piece she needed, discovered in forced conflict of such grand scale that shockwaves reached out across time and space, dooming countless worlds to annihilation by forces they did not know existed. Power not on the level of Rulers, rising to meet those standards. Greater than many gods of the weave of realities. Were Cathay to focus she could even see the struggling forms of those who clashed, waiting for her chance to strike.


Powerful champions of the Void and the Depths; A Great Destroyer and Primordial Terror. Cathay knew the latter well. An old soul just like her, though not quite as advanced in age. Known as Hepate the Sundered Worm, the Horror was known for her grotesque appearance and terrifying applications of innate power. A chitinous, serpentine monstrosity capable of coiling around whole planets, the Sundered Worm warped 'the truth which many might adhere to'. It did not matter what the truth may be, how grand or infinitesimal it was in reality, or how many even believed it, Hepate altered it all the same. Anything which might be followed was changed irrevocably. She could not help it. It was her nature. A need to dominate the objective universe through subjective will. That which was true became a lie in her presence, and that which was false may become reality if willed strongly enough. 


They were strong, of that there was no doubt, and despite their monstrous appearance they were quite refined in their process of thoughts. The Sundered Worm understood patience. They practiced restraint. Temperance despite the natural bloodlust common among all those of the Depths. That coupled with their formidable might made them an ideal candidate and a worthy successor indeed. It takes more than brute strength to rule the Deep Wastes after all.


Her foe on the other hand appeared more pleasant on the eyes. Whimsical and serene even when looking upon their awe-inspiring form from the limited viewing of a planet. Yet they were also  bolstering incredibly destructive raw potential despite their almost mystical visage. A Voidborne. One who dabbled in the laws of destruction and creation. A beauty with hair brighter than any sun, and skin as dark and beautiful as the night peppered with starlight. They were clothed in robes that mirrored the cosmic expanse around the ruined battlefield between them and their hated foe. So many planets lost across who knew how many systems, and yet the battle had not ceased. The Voidborne exuded an almost guardian-like presence. A defender of those they uplifted, but they were no denizen of the heavens. They did not crave worship from their kindness. No, they were far greater than that. More than their nature allowed it would seem. 


Though not quite as large as the Sundered Worm, this denizen of the Void was no less planetary in scale. To place a single hand upon a planet would no doubt doom a continent in direct impact, as well as flood the greater expanse of the globe. Yet there was never a desire to act on such instincts. There was a strong refusal to do so. 


Valstraxas. It had to be. A Destroyer who chose to become something more in-line with a cultivator. 


Cathay had only heard their name once or twice in recent history but that did little to hamper their reputation. Even though the two had millions of years to their lives they had never met personally. A shame in truth. Cathay would have loved to wear their beautiful skin before acquiring her own. 


A kind if not dutiful spirit, Valstraxas was capable of washing away whole galaxies with only her fiery tears before planting the seeds of life so that creation may flourish anew. She was a mentor to many of her sisters, one of the Void's strongest and well loved by all in her domain. Yet despite their gentle appearance… they possessed beneath the surface qualities quite similar to Hepate. Temperance which held back a growing need for destruction. She had been a Destroyer first. A breaker of worlds to bring balance in a universe. But Valstraxas chose cultivation, the weight of her previous duty proving too heavy for her shoulders. Even then, her origins were found as a destroyer of worlds. A pillar of extinction. That drive of ancient duties still remained regardless of any measures taken to bury it. 


Still, because of her storied life she was another fitting candidate for a potential successor, though the idea never likely crossed their mind. Cathay wasn't certain how much longer this battle of theirs would last, or if the veil between the Void and Depths would survive without some tear forming. It’s a miracle it’s gone on as long as it has, the two were remarkably close in power. Their very presence distorted the laws of physics which governed all, turning time back and forth with each clash of their titanic bodies. Space expanded and shrunk with the rise and fall of their reserves of energy, and were this to go on further they’d likely exhaust themselves before anything of benefit was born. 


A risk that needed to be taken and was already well calculated. Were Hepate and Valstraxas any weaker than Cathay would have never urged these two Successors to fight. Guide their paths forward into this chance encounter, allowing their respective natures to do the work and incite conflict. One lived to bring life while the other sought out only destruction. Simplicity at its finest, any true effort on Cathay’s part was minimal. If she so wished she could have killed the two of them long before the present, though decided against such actions. She would need all her strength saved for her reviled nemesis. 


Across the vast distance of space it could be seen, the rising climax of this long observed battle. How long has it been since they started? A century perhaps? Likely more. Time was wounded after all, it passed in the blink of an eye. Still, in that time, and through using her own godlike body, Valstraxas kept any world which remained from harm. A few, maybe a handful at most, but in her eyes they were always worth saving. 


Every bruise she took bled the star across her body. Every puncture across her flesh brought with it an ocean of life binding essence. This was the Voidborne's duty. Even as she drifted in the inky blackness of space, drowning in the overbearing ferocity of the Primal’s wrath, she kept the cavernous maw of Hepate from her throat. Valstraxas felt this to be her greatest of duties. The purpose of her life. 


Protecting all forms of the living from the Depths reach. 


Even as Hepate's serpentine body coiled itself around her foe's torso this goal never changed to one of self-preservation. As nonexistent air escaped Valstraxa’s lungs from the increasing pressure she did not waver. Bones cracked across the emptiness of space, subverting the normally silent expanse, but there was never a scream that echoed out into the void. Never a whimper or plea. The champion of the Void endured regardless of the danger she was in. 


A warrior or a hero, it didn't matter which. Their strength was respectable, that was all that mattered. That alone is the sole reason why Hepate continued her assault, even though this was an enemy fully capable of killing her if given the opportunity. Their battle had extinguished life without rhythm; without purpose other than strife. And though few worlds may have survived thanks to the Voidborne's intervention it was still a truth that could not be denied. In attempting to do so, the lie which kept these survivor worlds safe would be their undoing. So it was Hepate's will. So it would come to pass the longer this battle raged on. 


The climax would be reached soon, they could all feel it. Both Valstraxas and Hepate as they knew their powers and bodies were reaching their limits, as well as Cathay who watched on from her shielded world; boredom present in her gaze. It was about time things finally ended.


With a spiteful roar the Voidborne brought her hands down upon the Primal's many angled maw, trying to pry them off of her body with little success in the endeavor. Hepate was firmly wrapped around her foe-prey's thrashing form and would not let go until either she was dead or they were. An ultimatum forced, and normally one that ended in favor of the more cruel adversary. But a voidborne of this renown was not so easily broken. 


The stars across Valstraxas's body grew brighter, as did the hands which clutched her enemies' jaws. Heat built up across the empty space of the nigh-empty star system, humbling any sun until the Voidborne's whole body seemed alight with fire. Even then her foe would not retreat. They would not pull back. 


Cathay counted the seconds which passed on by, observing as the void filled with solar radiance. 


With one final heave Valstraxas lifted what portion of Hepate's body she could before each and every star across her body flew from her body in a display of spectacular destruction. A sacrifice meant to wipe an existing Primordial off of the Depths' board while also maintaining the safety of those worlds she wished to protect, Cathay's included. Every world present was kept from harm, their homes and eyes shielded from the brilliant display of a Cultivator’s last act of preservation. 


The final display of power was successful, as was the final hope of sacrifice. Light washed over every world for lightyears around, filling the void once more with stars that had been extinguished in the conflict, the last remnants of a hero’s service. When the brilliant explosion had finally settled neither Destroyer or Primal remained, their bodies reduced to states less than even atoms. 


But their forms were of no importance. It was their essence which Cathay desired. Extending a hand out towards the sky the Archfiend reached across oblivion to pluck free one of the newly formed stars; the traces of the power expelled by Valstraxas, now mutated through the metaphysical properties of Hepate. Domination of the infinite expanse through strength of will, strewn together with the desire to challenge insurmountable odds and preserve life, now altered to fit one's own rather than the lives of billions. A powerful combination, now coupled with the calling to challenge a worthy foe. Though Valstraxas was not bound by law to answer the challenge of a Primal's call, Hepate had still enacted the rite all the same thus the properties stood in place.  Instinctual action at best, but still salubrious for the Archfiend. 


All these things Cathay needed and combined, using whatever magic she could muster to force her will upon the rules of creation. Her status as one of the Depths firstborn offered her much in the way of power but she needed far more than that. Every curse she could utter, every blasphemous ritual she knew, all of it went into this one act of defiance. Go beyond what defines the words of conception, the metaphysical and ontological. Beyond the realm of dreams to shape that which she desired most. A means of ascension without taking a throne. 


The small world around Cathay suffered from her efforts, driven to madness as malicious hymns assaulted their senses in this new force’s conception. Cast in the shadow of her backside, none could even register when the Primordial terror fell to her knees in exhaustion, decimating any unfortunate enough to be beneath her. Neither the bursting bodies or death screams of victims were registered. There was only the hymn which assaulted conception as a whole. 


The very same hymn heard across the Dreaming City, granted to Cathay through forced evolution and near subjugation, now used to her benefit and Lubaeron’s eventual fall. The resonance/tether needed to strand together all that had been acquired. Once refined but now volatile, in time and through great effort the Archfiend succeeded in her endeavor. Creating that which might challenge the Ruler's without rising to a throne herself. 


A most heretical flame, meager and quick to die were she to allow it, but bolstering such terrible yet awe inspiring potential. As though this tool against the all-powerful could evolve itself at a moment's notice. Rising. Growing. It defied reason in a setting which constantly found itself reshaped. 


Cathay would etch the embers upon stone before that could happen however; create tablets that served to contain her only and greatest creation. She would hide them upon her own magnificent form, keep them from the hands of rivals until her great task was completed. Only then would she reveal her magnum opus to the domains which held uncontested dominion. 


Like waves across the whole of creation, this sudden change could not be ignored. A signal felt in the bones of countless but not yet understood as to why. In time though. All things in time. 


Cathay smiled. For perhaps the first time in her long, long life.  


This dream of hers was calamity. These tablets, Ruin. With it she would bring doom upon the Dreaming City. 


With it she would inspire fear within the Rulers. 


None will dare cross the Archfiend of the Depths again. 


One need not raise a hand to win a war. They need only be patient and wait for an opportunity to strike. 


When it did, the fun could finally begin. And the infinite expanse of totality would scream until the Depths has had its fill. 


***


“Be still already, Ape. It’ll hurt more if you continue moving.” In between the Ruler’s fingers was the arm of one of her would-be assaulters. Another of Ravencroft’s fished eyed fold, a woman who without her mutations would be quite the looker. Not along the lines of Cathay’s type, her beloved Valerie cleared those marks with golden stars; very quick to terrify, but certainly had to be the appeal to many a man of this odd city. “But if you wish to play it rough…” 


Opening her salivating maw wide, Cathay lifted the terrified woman above her face, giving them a full view of what awaited. There wasn’t a moment where the Ruler didn’t wish to wet her whistle. Too long on the surface meant that she’s been too long without proper prey. Even were she to be joking in the here and now she can’t be certain how long that would remain the case. 


Without moving her lips, the shrunken down woman heard her tormentor’s voice in the back of her mind. “I can certainly abide by that~.” 


A group of three who thought it smart to test their luck against the Ruler of the Depths, and though far from ever being an actual threat to her they still dared to brandish a weapon against the Archfiend. A kitchen knife of all things, rusted and chipped, hardly a thing that’d be used in some vagrant’s restaurant. The least they could do when threatening someone of Cathay’s caliber would be choosing something of finer quality. The craftsmanship of their current weapon was lacking anything of worth.


That said… one could suppose this still counted as a ‘threat on her life’. That alone demanded action be taken. Self defense as the apes might say. 


Shrinking down the group of three, making them less than the size of rodents, seemed as appropriate a punishment as any. Of course the altered humans certainly didn’t see it as such. One screamed and tried to run, a bloated bastard that would have popped had Cathay chosen to step on them fully. Instead, with a snap of her fingers they were transported right beneath the heel of her left boot, a sudden flash in their eyes as now they laid upon their stomach with the near full weight of the Ruler’s foot on them. They were forced to wait out whatever possible punishment was in store for them while also contending with the ever growing pressure. The Ruler of the Depths made no effort to hold back her own weight, and while far from lethargic her human size still greatly outclassed anything so small. She even made sure to drag the little human back and forth every now and then, tearing their clothes as well as cutting into their skin. Nothing to kill them. At least not yet. Just the punishment needed to drive her message home. 


Always weigh your battles carefully.  


The second and likely youngest of the group, a hotblooded bud of a man, had an apparent temper greater than most of their ilk. The type that always yell profanities regardless of the situation they were in, always making themselves the victim despite misdeeds done through their own two hands. Annoyances no matter the species or planet they came from. If they were to commit sin then they as well own up to it. Wear it on their chest. 


They were a  bit too loud for Cathay’s liking; dragging a finger across her lips she subsequently removed the mouth from the mouse-ape completely. The moment their shouting stopped and they understood what had happened, they screamed. Or at least tried to. For obvious reasons nothing was heard. Any bravado and spite they possessed was washed away as panic took over, followed shortly after by a loss of consciousness. The human mind was a strange, simple thing, granting oblivion to those who couldn’t accept reality. Though that saved them from further torment, Cathay had no use for one who couldn’t fight back let alone scream. There was no enjoyment in that. 


That left Miss Number Three. The ringleader of the trio, the first two followed her orders without question, and a quick peek into her mind showed that this had been the norm for years. Despite the questionable passivity of many of Ravencroft’s residences, this troublesome trio were more direct than others. So much so that when they ‘forced’ Cathay into an alleyway for a “quick chat” she was already aware of the many bodies to their names. A small gang if anything, they would have done away with the Ruler were she their normal set of prey. 


How quickly they all broke when the tables were turned against them. How loud they pleaded for mercy when now their lives were in danger. But such a thing hardly existed in the Depths, and Cathay was no saint. Nothing of that manner had ever been practiced by her in full. Besides, were the situations reversed she highly doubted she’d receive any form of charity herself.  


No mercy for the merciless. 


Perhaps Valerie wouldn’t be too torn over having a promise minorly broken. 


Cathay had been threatened after all. This had to be considered ‘fair game’. 


But before the Ruler could help herself to her little, if not rather greasy, morsel she was interrupted; a chill running down her spine. Lowering her hand and turning her attention away from her prey, Cathay exhaled a single breath only to watch as it became perceivable. While not one to be bothered by sudden drops in temperature she knew the world around her had grown colder. In a way it resembled the cold of her domain, brought forth into the main universe. The Chill of the Deep. A cold that could rival that of the Void. 


Immediately she was aware of the reasons. Sighing in exasperation the molten eyes behind the Ruler’s shades shined brighter as she forced Ordegash out into the open, her influence vastly exceeding his. “I don’t much appreciate being pulled away from my fun, Pale One. Especially when all I see is overblown theatrics to signal your arrival.” 


As always with their sudden emergence, the world around Cathay came to a halt. Time and space grew stagnant as the land itself seemed to pulse in a misbegotten representation of life. The walls of the alleyway shuttered and shrunk away leaving only a flat surface of where they used to be. A trick of the senses, a product of being temporarily torn away from reality. A dimensional marble where a Primal such as Ordegash could converse freely, without worry of harming the city of Ravencroft with their presence. 


But rather than the monstrous, pale form one might expect the pulsating world came together to form something… different. 


An almost humanoid shape brought together through marbled flesh, adorned in the vestige of a suit that had seen better days. Old even for the false appearance of a human, with hardly any hair on top of a bald head, the sane would mistake such an appearance as monstrous. In Ravencroft however, it was finely along the lines of ‘normal’. Even their eyes, pitch black holes of nothing, were a trait too common among some residences. 


“Oh, someone’s done their homework.” Cathay couldn’t deny that as far as disguises go she would have chosen something different for Ordegash. But the Primal went above and beyond trying to fit in to the standards of so many of Ravencroft’s citizen. They indeed seemed to belong here among the grotesque. “Now that is an impressive form of yours. Truly, you are vomit inducing.” 


There was a low raspy chuckle, barely a whisper that came from within Ordegash’s ‘human’ throat. “You wound me, my Ruler. Rude. Expected. This one had hoped the form was pleasing.” 


Ordegash bowed their head in respect, never making direct eye contact with their Ruler. Even then, she could feel his normally sightless gaze upon the humans she had tormented. Still alive and in motion, but now no longer aware of what was happening around them. Their minds however were broken, a victim to the sudden change of the world around them. “Ah. My apologies. The weak ones broke. Fragile minds, weaker bodies.” 


“I will repair them in your stead.” 


Turning her attention to the woman still in her clutches, now a drooling mess with nary a thought behind her eyes, Cathay shrugged. Raising her hand to her mouth once more she unceremoniously tossed the altered human into her mouth, savoring the woman’s taste, maneuvering them with her tongue, before swallowing them whole, clothes and all. With a turn to face Ordegash she applied more pressure to her heel, quickly popping the bloated man beneath her boot. A sudden crunch was all that signaled their demise, and a red stain would be all that remained of their existence. 


“No need, they’re already broken.” Cathay stated without an ounce of guilt in her voice. “ There’s no use for a broken mind. Even then my promise remains intact. These unfortunate souls were already as good as dead the moment they saw your shifting form. You’re more at fault here than I am.”


Ordegash said nothing for some time before sighing, weighing the words of his master. “So.. it would seem.” 


It would serve them better to not argue with the Archfiend. 


With her attention away from the last, living assailant Cathay’s full focus fell on Ordegash. Though she was able to wipe out two troublesome apes her fun of the matter was still interrupted. That, she did not appreciate. “Pale God, you better have a good reason for leaving your station to bother me. Weren’t you to plan the path for mankind’s cultivation before bringing it to my attention?”


Though her tone was one of disinterest, for the keen of eye and ear there was evidence of displeasure in Cathay’s voice. To not have progress desired by her was borderline suicide. That said there was not even a single droplet of fear felt within the Pale God’s entire being. With their eyes still refusing to meet the Ruler’s, Ordegash spoke. 


“There are… complications,” one voice stated.

Obstacles,” another, louder voice, added. 


“One task far more delicate than the other.”


Cathay wanted to groan. She knew her reprieve on Earth would not be eternal, but even then she wished it would have lasted just a smidgen longer before she needed to return to her duties. Ordegash was powerful and certainly stronger than some of their peers, barring Cathay herself of course. If this was a matter that needed to be brought to her attention then she couldn’t risk ignoring it. Especially if it was meant to work towards man’s eventual rise in power. Turning on her heel, and brutalizing the stain that was already upon it further, the Ruler turned her back towards the Primordial being. “Fine, just send me an invoice or something when I get home. That’s how the primates here do things I think. If I hear of any issue now you’re likely to end up as a victim of my temper. I’ll deal with the lesser of the two issues first.” 


The world around the two Primal’s quickly returned to its former shape, repaired and reformed with not a single soul within Ravencroft aware as to what had happened. Her mind elsewhere however, Cathay had forgotten the last of her victims, only recalling their existence the moment her stride caught their body. The very same boot which had crushed their horizontally challenged companion, now stained on the sole as well as the heel. The crunch was the only indicator that drew the Archfiend’s attention towards the grim sight, but still she did not feel guilt. 


What Valerie did not know would not hurt her. And besides, as the trio had tried to threaten the Ruler with a weapon this was still technically self defense. No harm, no foul, even if one of the kills was an accident. 


Cathay looked back at her fellow Primal only to find them shaking their head in their hand. Snapping her fingers, the Ruler drew Ordegash’s attention back towards her. “I know this wasn’t your duty, but could you be a dear and take care of the mess here?” Of course Cathay could handle the issue herself easily. But there was no real reason for her to do so seeing as another of similar qualifications was near. 


Once more the Pale God fell silent, contemplating their words carefully. “Of course, my Ruler.” Clear and straight to the point, they knew better than to go against an order. “It will be done.”


With a smile Cathay turned away again, ready to head on home. 


“Oh! One more thing!” 


She did not turn to address the Primal Depthborn. Even still, Ordegash knew what the Ruler planned to ask. It still did not help to ease their worries however. Though they knew cultivation was ideal for the path of man the process foreseen would be dangerous and taxing for all parties involved. Man would not be spoon fed their evolution, but it would be guided down the right path to walk in need be. All the primitive species needed was bait to serve as a lure. An incentive. 


“Seeing as my searching for them would draw too much unwanted attention, I need you to find the location of one of my old tablets. Mankind will need a good shield from outside forces.” 


“I don’t want rival kingdoms in MY business during this delicate period.” 


Ordegash said nothing. There was no reason to argue. The path was set, and the Ruler's will would be done.


End Notes:

Here it be, the final upload before classes start again. Doesn't mean I'll stop writing, obviously, I did manage to get out 3 things during my break. Just means things might slow down again. But I don't quit until the story's done! Til next time y'all!

Chapter 6: Dream's End by Viper07
Author's Notes:
There is a strange beauty in the death of dreams. More beautiful still is the death of its Dreamer. 

Not a word was said as the two combatants stared each other down. Not a thought behind their eyes other than the downfall of the one opposite to them. A conflict an eternity in the making; the day the Dreaming City was put to the blade. A war once thought impossible, now made a reality through deceit. Deception. 


Lubaeron had anticipated this. Ever since he tried to subjugate the Archfiend of the Depths to his will and failed, he knew this day was coming. 


It was inevitable. It was already written. The day the first Ruler of the Depths died at his hands, this moment within the weave of all realities has long since been in the making. 


Yet to be here now, staring down the beautiful but hated form of his foe, was a feeling he had not experienced in his unfathomably long life. To see the ivory trees of the Dreaming City burn. To watch as countless planets above burned away in this ultimate of battles. There was no doubt as to what was felt here and now. 


Fear. 


For the first time in an untold number of eons. Unfamiliar and unwelcome, it could not be shaken no matter how hard of an effort was made. Lubaeron kept the emotion hidden behind a cold, emotionless expression but he could not fool his ancient enemy. The one who had turned creation against both him and his kingdom as well as orchestrated these very events until none would dare offer aid. 


Not the Void, not the Heavens, not the Hellish kingdoms of Inferno. No one to arrive at the city in its darkest hours save for the Depths itself, and only then was that to tear at the flesh of those who called the dreaming kingdom their home. 


To be outplayed in such a manner was terrifying, and even now the Archfiend Cathay could see all that shook the First Dreamer to his crimson core. 


The twitch of one of their eight eyes. The minor shaking of his four fingered hands. The ever so subtle hesitation in his breathing. Wondrous sights all. Beyond the fire which burnt away at the Dreaming City below, past the cries and roars of Depthborn who tore into the silver robed Guardians that rose and fell in their domains’ defense, it was all Cathay wished to look upon. Even after having torn free two of the Ruler’s eyes from their sockets all she wanted to see was the terror locked behind his gaze. 


Oh, how delicious such a sight would be, but the Archfiend needed to practice restraint. Nothing would be gained for her were she to rush this extravagant meal. She’s been steady thus far, exercising caution in her schemes. To act too early now would be to jeopardize a millennia of planning.


How long has Cathay waited for this moment? How long had she planned to have her nemesis on their knees, broken and bleeding while the rest of creation watched on in fear? She couldn't say, but it felt like an eternity. A hundred eternities in fact. Each passing eon extended further than the previous, until the death of her Ruler was but a distant memory. But the promise made was not forgotten. The desire for this one moment never faded. It was her goal. Her purpose. 


By now the rest of the warring kingdoms must have realized their errors and become privy to the Primordial's ploy, but it was far too late to act. Nothing could stop this now. 


Suspended in the air the two forces of totality stared directly into each other's souls. Cathay wondered if, in this moment of silence, her old foe was trying to will her away again. Just as he attempted to do so mere moments before her claws pierced his eyes. With a thought the could end this invasion before regret settled in. Of course such an action would prove fruitless, as the two had already seen. Cathay’s tablets of defiance had shown to be the perfect countermeasure to those who relied too heavily on their granted power. 


A cancer within creation, one that would likely send a ripple across all corners of the weave. With them any lesser creature could harm, even kill, a Ruler. A feat once thought impossible, now so close it could practically be tasted. 


Hidden on Cathay’s person in the form of tattoos across her sickly green skin, three in total, these tablets kept any who possessed them safe from outside influence as well as those who wished to impose their will upon another. A shield as well as a form of dampener, nothing across any reality carried the means or power to overcome the nature of these ruinous slabs of stone. Already, several ‘supreme beings’ had fallen to their influence alongside Cathay's own magic. Flesh peeled clean off of bone, marrow sucked clean from what remained, it was a true terror to behold such horrible synchronization. 


No life taken so far however was that of a Ruler's. 


That property of the sinister slabs had yet to be tested up until now. Suffice to say Cathay was incredibly pleased with the results. 


Cathay wanted Lubaeron to flaunt his once unstoppable might. His all-power. She wished to see him fail at amounting to anything more than flicker of sovereignty time and time again before falling into the pits of despair. She wanted him to grovel, to kneel, just as he had tried to force her to do. 


To have them fall after believing themselves invincible for so long. It was the ultimate dream within the city where such thoughts were made manifest. 


In actuality, however, there was no such meaning behind the First Dreamer's silence. Though they knew not how Cathay resisted the unassailable might of a Ruler such as himself he supposed it didn't matter. They could not afford to think about what blasphemous magics she had used to bring forth the impossible. His city was under siege, his people were being devoured by the mouth full. There was no time to ponder as even a moment's hesitation and all Lubaeron had worked towards since time immemorial would amount to nothing. Their contributions to every dimension, erased. Lost without so much as a whimper. 


This needed to end. 


A tear in the sky had signaled doom upon all who called the domain their home. Guardians and army alike fell to the ferocity of the Depths yet not once was the influence of its Queen felt. A seer of the Deep, Alsanna of the Severed Sight; they were not present or even aware of the slaughter taking place. 


This attack was unsanctioned. In fact, no one knew it was Cathay who led this assault. They only knew it had been her hands that made all this possible. A schemer who many believed would not do her own dirty work, now proven quite wrong. 


If Lubaeron could survive this encounter, warn the rest of creation of the threat the Archfiend posed, then there might just be something worth salvaging of his domain. Even more, he might finally bring about an end to the Deep Wastes. 


All outcomes of this battle were weighed by both opponents. They needed to be. For this conflict to hold any meaning they must be aware of what comes after. 


The First Dreamer’s body blackened as his form grew more defined. Robust. Built for combat despite never having taken part in it before. Lubaeron was outmatched without his authority, this much he understood. Like a lamb before a dragon, he knew Cathay to be the fiercer combatant. She was older, and naturally more powerful as a result. 


Having assumed his mantle unopposed there was never a reason for Lubaeron to exert himself too far. Power came naturally, and not once in his life did he think he’d be without it. Now, as he came to learn the definition of fear, he regretted his own laxity of the past. Still this was not a battle he could walk away from, wounded though he already was. Raising a hand into the air, the First Dreamer brought forth the fire which burnt away at his city, draining it of its light and turning it dark. The energy grew chaotic before smoothing out, refining like steel within a smelter. A melody was heard, the very same which had turned many a free-will into a subjugated soul, and forced the growing dark into a defined shape of many manical angles. Its points and edges stretched outward across the sky as it continued to expand without end. The surface of the ever growing object constantly shifted, as though the form it was trying to take could never be settled. Unstable in a sense, it blackened what remained of the cosmos above the Dreaming City, blocking the destruction to many worlds unfortunately caught in the crossfire. Yet none who fought thought to look towards the display of power; a fear accomplished without the need of a crown. Only Cathay gave the sight any worthwhile notice, and even then it was little more than a brow raise. 


The First Dreamer rested his arms behind his back as the shape above settled. "Terror of the Deep. Agent of Chaos. Devil of the Dreaming City. Archfiend…" Lubaeron seemed to chuckle as he thought of all the titles his old foe had acquired over the ages. The Depths was not one for vanity and yet Cathay took to it quite well. "You rose from the Depths when you were meant to drown. Impressive. Faulty. I will have much work to do once you and your kind are gone." Without so much as a motion on his part Lubaeron forced the shifting shape above to jut forward, extending within it a forest of obsidian shrouded rods. Spears meant to pierce all within his domain, friends and foes alike. “Only a devil such as yourself would force my hand in such measures. Because of you I must begin again in my kingdom. Wipe it all clean before I may save it. I will take great satisfaction in knowing its second iteration will not need to deal with you damnable Depthborn further."


Cathay wasn’t certain if Lubaeron was talking to distract himself from the possibility of his own death or if he was trying to goad her into attacking by placing himself in a situation of vulnerability.  Perhaps an attempt to acquire an advantage over her. 


Whatever the case was, the Archfiend remained quiet, observing her enemy with molten eyes. Her whole body seemed to glow with terrible power befitting all of those she has consumed over her long life. Robes of silver and steel adorned her lovely body, grown and taken from the very guardians who had tried to impede her path this fateful day. Upon the Archfiend's back rested a darkened cloak that rested comfortably around her shoulders, still stained with the star-filled blood of those she slaughtered. Despite the ferocity she displayed against those who have crossed her, there was an air of regality one could not deny when viewing her form. Greater than that of her mortal foe’s, Cathay seemed a more fitting Ruler than the very one before her. 


Only a few cuts and tears were seen across her skin, results of Lubaeron’s own previous attacks against her. None life threatening, and not nearly as grievous as anything he’s sustained. She knew she could end this fight quickly, especially were she to ascend to her true size. A form large enough to grind the first Dreamer and his army underheel. Instead, the Archfiend lowered herself to her opponent’s level. Deprived of their ‘crutch’, she wanted to experience them losing their grip on the control they believed they had. 


To that end she allowed the First Dreamer his moments of hesitation, his speeches and monologues. She wanted him to calm his mind before she shattered their whole world view again. 


Lubaeron’s eyes narrowed as he continued to look on towards his hated enemy. His darkened armor turned white, flooded with the light of countless stars. A Void taken power, the manipulation of the laws of physics to strengthen himself further. “Will you say nothing, Beast? Has your wit and cunning left you?” Reaching a hand into the undulating darkness above, the First Dreamer pulled free a glaive; a chaotic construct of the resonating power which overshadowed the city. A weapon capable of cutting through every dimension, ensuring the death of those foolish enough to challenge its wielder. “Will you be still as I cut you down, or must I suffer these one-sided conversations further?


The Archfiend's upper lip curved upward into a wicked grin as her gaze grew cold. "By the Thrones, you must love hearing your own voice…" 


The very first words Cathay had spoken in the entire expanse of her life. An insult to the Lord of lords no less.  


In an instant Lubaeron appeared behind Cathay, stepping beyond the boundaries of space and time for only a moment to move faster than what one may normally perceive. The Ruler brought his glaive down as it crackled with eldritch energy, intent on severing his foe's head from their shoulders in one swift motion. Instead, all the First Dreamer was met with was the sudden clanging of void forged steel against Cathay’s cloak; now split in two to form a pair of wings. Taken, mutated, and evolved from those of draconic or demonic origins, it had taken far too long to finally acquire them. So the moment they came to be Cathay was certain she had acquired herself a respectable weapon held within her own biology. A result of constant trial and error on her part; finally bearing fruit after so long. 


But regardless of the strength of her bones or flesh, Lubaeron’s void forged glaive should be more than enough to cleave her in two. That is, until he noticed a dark, malignant energy form around not just Cathay’s wings but her body as a whole as well. 


"The power you used to craft your trinket is something I've already seen in hundreds of Voidborn. Right before I made meals of them all, of course." Lubaeron tried to pull back from Cathay’s defense only to feel a sharp pain suddenly invade his abdomen. Glancing down, he watched in terror as three serrated prongs pierced his stomach and into internal organs. Pulling her newly formed tail free, the Archfiend used her wings to push the Dreamer’s glaive aside. 


Cathay turned her back towards him, unbothered by the opening she was openly offering. “The void encapsulates time and space. The Depths grow stronger from what it consumes. It's a simple logic to grasp, O' mighty Ruler. Of course I've learned how to harness such power already.”  


Clutching their side, Lubaeron could only hear every tenth of the words Cathay spoke. His senses were failing him, his divine blood pouring out of the wound he sustained. Even then he did not back down and plead for his life. With Cathay’s attention fully focused on her taunts the First Dreamer raised his weapon hand forward, using his glaive to manipulate the spikes within the darkness above. He unleashed them, but only enough to cover the areas surrounding himself and his nemesis. The archfiend only realized what had happened after it was too late. Using her wings, she shielded what she could of the attack, but acting too slowly meant that few got past her defenses. Rods of materialized oblivion pierced his skin and limbs, nearly finding their way into her heart more than a few times. Fortunately for her the attack was fast, and just as quickly as Lubaeron unleashed it did it also end. 


Both still suspended in the air, more aptly walking upon the nothingness above the Dreaming City, Lubaeron rose to his full height. With a hand still clutched to his side he summoned a hellish flame to cauterize the wound Cathay had left him. The pain was plain to see in his eyes yet not once did he scream. Instead, had the Ruler had a visible mouth to see, it was almost a certainty that he’d be smiling. He caught his breath… and laughed. "You will find I am not so easily KILLED, Wretch!"


Lubaeron crouched, the light across his armor shining like he were some knight of valor. He flourished his glaive with surprising skill, imploring the Archfiend to make good with her goals here. “The first words you’ve spoken and you use them to waste my time? If you wish to kill me then get on with it. I will not indulge your prattle.” 


Once more Lubaeron unleashed another volley of spikes from his summoned darkness, only now in a much larger quantity. Nearly the whole expanse of the vast nothingness he forced into being. They rained down into his own city, tearing apart all that got caught in the disastrous downpour; rending friend and foe alike. None could withstand the assault, and the bodies of those unfortunate many who fell victim to Lubaeron’s assault were ground into a mess unrecognizable from what they once were. All save for Cathay of course. 


Knowing well the attack was coming she prepared herself just before the first rod of the second volley pierced her crimson eyes and skull. When at last the attack had died down, the Archfiend remained decently unharmed. Her wings would not be the shield to cut it this time around, and in desperation she summoned something of the past. A body of work she had not taken the form of since her earliest days. Obsidian bones, skeletal, and bearing a draconic visage; the frame of a Drake of the Deep. Coiled around her body like a coat of armor, keeping her safe from what might have otherwise been fatal. 


Cathay’s eyes twitched. She had hoped to have Lubaeron pleading by now. Instead, it seemed the crutch bound King was more valiant than she originally thought. Enough that, even were he outclassed, he still refused to back down. 


Calming herself, Cathay deemed it was no reason to lose her head. “You wish to struggle then? Fine.” 


Pinching her thumb and middle finger together Cathay brought her hand up to her face. She looked through the gap between her fingers, eyeing down the tenacious lord. “Then struggle. Anything else would be boring.” 


The destroyed land below began to rumble as, before the King of the Dreaming City could react, a skeletal maw tore through the domain’s crust. In the same shape as the skull of a drake, only now covered in patches of skin and muscle, it devoured everything in its rise. The brutalized bodies of Depthborn and Dreamers alike, swallowed in the undead beast’s advance. Lubaeron readied his glaive as the summoned skull rushed forward, large enough to devour not just him whole but the darkness beyond as well. Even as it jutted outward in all directions to escape, the veil of oblivion couldn’t move far beyond the maw closing in around it. A truly monstrous form of Cathay’s past, forced into this battle by her will alone. Mindless, serving only its master. 


And yet even that was pierced by the same spikes which nearly ended the Terror of the Deep. Skewered from within as they tore through bone once strong enough to withstand collapsing stars. 


Still the beast did not relent, enveloping the Lord of the City in its kingdom encompassing jaws, snapping them shut before unceremoniously swallowing. A temporary breather as already Cathay could see a radiant dawning taking shape within the body of her ancient reflection. Normal beings would have gotten crushed by teeth and throat, yet here all Cathay could feel was the heat of the rising power within her own flesh forged throat. Though not connected physically to her it was still of her mind, her past, and thus was an unpleasant feeling. 


Pulsating, growing hotter with each and every passing second. Faster than anything had any right to be, in another minute it would have reached a point where it shunned even the pits of the hellish kingdom's of Inferno. It wouldn’t be long before Lubaeron broke free of his temporary confinement in a shower of fire and dead flesh. 


Credit would be given where it was due. Cathay had underestimated the Ruler. Enough that now she was wondering if this battle would be something worthy of her time. When she had come here she expected a spoiled, weak, arrogant little godling who thought himself invincible because of their throne. A being who had grown fat and complacent from the power gifted to them by a crown. 


She didn’t see that anymore. 


How wrong Cathay was to now see Lubaeron demonstrate a tenacity far exceeding what was originally expected. If time allowed he might have even been a decent warrior. A future the Archfiend would deny with her last breath if able. 


They were ruining this for her. The Crimson Bastard shouldn’t be capable of producing even an ounce of determination in the face of their inevitable demise, and yet here he was doing just that. It was infuriating. 


Annoying. 


But ultimately pointless. This day would be his death, that much was already decided. Lubaeron could not overcome Cathay’s own evolved power with his own and in time he would fall. 


So much planning had gone into turning the whole of the Manifold against him. Cathay's ruinous tablets had been created for just this purpose. She could still make this work. Have it all be worthwhile. To turn back now would be pointless. 


She was skilled in destruction. Annihilation. And while the First Dreamer's death wouldn't be rife with the humiliation she had hoped, Cathay was flexible enough to make this enjoyable. She could work with this. 


To kill something was easy. 


And life was much more reasonable when such simplicity was your sole focus. 


Less tiring for her when the slaughter was said and done.


***


Cathay yawned as the tree sized finger of her girlfriend gently stroked her blond hair, calming the Ruler of recent headaches. In between planning mankind’s cultivation, ensuring the Depths remained hidden from the wider view of Earth, and keeping the hands of rival domains away from her business, Cathay was well and truly numb of mind. Not physically exhausted, she had not been as such in thousands of years, but mentally she needed a deserved break. Provided with much needed aspirin, a human medication that mostly tricked this weaker body of hers into improving rather than actually fix anything, she just wanted to wait out any inconveniences now. 


How many weeks had Cathay been planning alongside Ordegash now, carefully plotting out every step mankind might take to ensure their eventual evolution? How often has she frozen time only to allow the two of them a chance to speak?


She’s lost count by this point. To make matters more complicated, the Pale God was in search of the Ruler’s artifacts. Her Tablets of Ruin, made to challenge those like herself. The irony was not lost upon her. They were a needed instrument. Humanity of any form would not survive long without them.


Unfortunately, Cathay was in no position to retrieve them herself. Complications in the cosmos prevented that, and so she needed others to complete such drudgery for her. Tedious, and that in itself was a further burden on her tired mind. 


This short reprieve of hers was needed, and as Cathay rested upon the toned stomach of her beloved Valerie she knew she would cherish this temporary serenity. Even if it was only just for a moment


For once, the human was away from her self-imposed work, and though she would have preferred in the weekly continuation of their enjoyed foreplay this time of peace wasn’t frowned upon. Returning from a quick jog, it was pleasant to feel the relatively cool body of Cathay’s shrunken down form resting on the skin below her crop top. Like an ice cube upon her skin, the Depthborn’s body was shockingly cold. To the point of shaming cubes of ice. Still, there was a sense of pleasure in the sensation. 


The Ruler cared little for the sweat upon her back, and though Valerie’s fingers were placed on her body, lightly massaging the cosmic entity into her taut abs, she seemed to even welcome the source of perspiration. Strange though it may sound, it was something which took her mind off of recent events. A distraction. One enjoyed slightly more than should be. But it was greatly needed. 


Has planning out universal events always been this complicated? How hard could it be to uplift a weak species such as humanity? Constant questions these days, and at times Cathay wished to share such inquiries with the one closest to her. 


But Valerie wouldn’t understand. Not in the ways a Depthborn, let alone a Primordial, would. She was human. Finite. Simple… no creature of man could understand the machination of a Primal as old as her. None could grasp the reasoning behind certain motives. The conflicts fated to come would sit poorly with her no doubt, but it was a necessity that could not be avoided. Calamitous early on but salubrious in the long-term. They were right and good. Already, Cathay has set Ordegash to cull the damage of certain forces, concocting ways for Earth to remain ‘relatively’ sane. 


At least until it was ready for the Ruler’s plans. She couldn’t have events happening sooner than she wished, nor could she have prying eyes and ears turn her way. There were too many forces in the infinite expanse of the cosmos who’d try to take the Earth for themselves despite Cathay’s presence upon it, and though being rid of such threats would take little more than a thought… it wasn’t a sort of power the Archfiend was always allowed to exercise. 


Until their safety could be assured Mankind would need to grow for itself. In whatever way was deemed best suiting for them. While unlikely to be the kindest of methods towards evolution, what Valerie did not know would not hurt her. And what did not hurt her would not impede these times of coveted relaxation and ‘love’. 


A strange word still when spoken by Cathay… but it was growing on her. 


The Ruler of the Depths had much work to do if she was to make the Earth a strong and suitable home for herself and her beloved. While tedious, it wasn’t all bad. Cathay may have instructed the Pale Primordial Ordegash to work on the finer details of their plans, their foresight working as an incredible method of planning, she still preferred the old days where she could actually get her hands dirty. Spread out an influence so strong it shook the firmament of all. Coerce creation with little more than words and gestures. It was heavenly. Now, because of her throne, Cathay was limited to using forces she commanded rather than engage in areas that needed her finer touch. She was sidelined, there was no simpler way of saying it. A fall from a certain point of grace but there was no use sulking over it. No point in growing consumed by such old thoughts of hers. 


And yet consumed she was. It was so much to think about. Too much in fact, and soon Cathay proved to be so lost in her thoughts that she hadn’t even noticed Valerie's oversized finger beginning to move away from her head and torso, making their way between her legs. Despite having her eyes closed and remaining at a relative doll-size, Cathay easily stopped the human’s hand in its tracks. An invisible force kept their fingers at bay, and no amount of strength they exerted could move their hand closer or further away. Surprisingly, this wasn’t taken as poorly as one might have expected. More often than not Valerie preferred to be in control during their little ‘games’. This time however, Cathay had earned a soft chuckle from her Goddess. 


“I knew that’d get your attention.” The red headed woman admitted with a soft smile. The very same which always seemed to melt Cathay’s cold heart no matter how foul of a mood she was in. “You’re thinking again, aren’t you?” 


“I’m always thinking.” The Ruler admitted. Moving her lover’s hand away with the same force that kept it in place, Cathay positioned herself so that she was laying flat on her stomach atop Valerie’s abs. A remarkably soft surface despite the care the human goes through to ensure her physical appeal. She was fit, firm of body, and though never able to measure against even the weakest of cosmic beings, Cathay imagined it was still an impressive sight among humans. Alluring. No doubt the apple of many eyes. 


And she was all hers. Captivating. There were few treasures in any universe that could come close to the beauty Cathay saw in her beloved. 


“Is this an issue?” she asked. 


Valerie tilted her head, her expression one of radiance and joy. Though not the foreplay she had in mind there was just no way she could not enjoy this position of hers. Being large for the normally all-powerful Goddess upon her stomach… Well, there was a sense of irony in that. There was no doubt in either of their minds that these positions could change as quickly and as silently as the wind, but there was no worry towards that. Their relationship was one that was enjoyed and loved. With her free hand she massaged her cosmic queen’s back, working into the points she knew would offer the most pleasure. “Not at all. I like to watch you think. Did you know you get a little scowl when you’re really deep in thought?” 


The Ruler chuckled at the idea. “Do I now? I never noticed.” 


Valerie had to stifle a snort to keep herself from laughing, and by extension to keep Cathay still and comfortable. Just as quickly, her joyous smile returned once the laughter had subsided. “Really, you look so intense when you scowl. But… you’re sweet. At least when you want to be.”


“Well, I'm glad you think so. There are many who’d think otherwise.” 


Cathay saw as Valerie’s eye twitched in response. A subtle yet evident reminder for the human that her girlfriend was not a well liked being. “I could imagine… Was that what you were thinking about? All those enemies of yours?” 


A question she’s heard all too often these past few days. One born of worry. Fear That the Ruler's ancient grudges would come to lay waste to the world. Only a fleeting fear as none would dare directly invoke Cathay's ire. 


Still, it was a sweet display to see.


Valerie was a kind soul. Caring. But this came at the expense of often troublesome inquisitiveness. She knew of Cathay’s role in the destruction of more than just a few civilizations, in much the same way as how Jason knew of his own mate's past crimes. Still, Valerie stood by the Ruler’s side. When something was wrong or overbearing, the bold human even offered a shoulder to lean on, or an ear to ramble to. Lovely qualities to have, but at times such a kind nature could prove troublesome when trying to keep your nose out of another’s business.


Altruism had its merits but also its flaws. One need only look upon the First Ruler of the Depths, Zathas, to understand that. 


Cathay was not quite set on telling her human anything they didn’t need to know. At least not yet. In time, perhaps, but for now the Ruler wasn’t certain if Valerie would follow along with her plans towards mankind’s cultivation. Morality was a troublesome concept that too many humans clung to, even one as glorious as the eldest of the Armitages. What she didn’t know would allow her a much more quiet and comfortable life. Far more than anything the Deep could offer her. 


Allowing Valerie to continue with the much needed massage, Cathay stretched out her arms and legs, getting comfortable as she rested her head upon her mortal girlfriend’s skin. Dressed in nothing more than comfort clothes, not having joined her beloved in their aforementioned jog, the comfort currently felt would have been an oddity a hundred thousand years ago. “I have far fewer enemies now than I did a million years ago. Any that remain now know better than to cross me. No, my mind is elsewhere. Managing the Depths and what invades planets is much more important than having to deal with entitled divinity and royals.” 


For a moment, Cathay felt Valerie’s hands tense up. Placing just a smidge too much pressure onto the Ruler's back elicited a sharp pop. An unintentional act which loosened some stress produced knots that had been bothering her. 


“Invasions? Did something come out of the Deep again?” Valerie asked, the concern very clear in her voice.  “Did something happen to Gilah? Or that friend of hers? Are they okay?”


The human’s concerns were not unfounded. Already, Earth has found itself invaded by bloodthirsty trespassers. Denizens of Cathay’s kingdom, the whelps which have breached the faulty line between this reality and the Depths have thankfully been kept away from wider civilization. Had they not then there was no telling as to the potential death toll mankind might have faced were even a single of these young blood beasts to reach land. Thankfully the planet had more than a few defenders now, though Cathay couldn’t be considered one despite her undeniable strength. 


“Gilah is fine, a single whelp isn’t going to be the end of her.” Cathay explained, recalling the most recent incident well. A brief skirmish within the Mediterranean sea, far beneath the ocean’s surface and away from watchful eyes. The former Butcher performed well despite being out of practice. Her returned bloodlust served her wonderfully in ripping the invader's head from their body, though the young Depthborn suffered her fair share of cuts in the end. 


“Not to mention her ‘friend’. Ira… I think her name was. Natural born of Eden, a leviathan, they settled a territorial dispute that had emerged from the Arctic ocean and made its way into the pacific. Thankfully it passed into her territory before it could reach civilization, so she just picked off the victor of the bout before things went awry.” 


Another breach of the dimensional membrane between Earth and the Depths. Though a few human lives were lost they were little more than sailors belonging to fishing boats. Nothing of real value. And in the end none remained who could spread the truth of the whelps existence. “Though I suppose calling those two friends is a bit on the nose for now. There’s some one-sided bad blood between them if I do recall correctly. Nothing to overlook any real threats though, and I'm certain Gilah will worm her way into that axolotl’s heart in time.” 


The former butcher had that effect on even the hardest of spirits. 


While not the answer Valerie wished to hear it was at least something resembling good news. At least enough to put her mind at ease. “Thank God they’re safe...” Though not brought up often for the sake of her own heart, the bold human was aware of the strange occurrences outside of her home city of Ravencroft. The way to the Depths has been opened and unleashed its horrors upon the world of man. How Cathay, despite her authority, would do nothing to close any existing breaches. She knew all this and understood the reasons as to why. Still, that didn’t mean she had to enjoy it. There was just no fighting the nature of the Deep. “I still wish you could just stop all of it, ya know? You certainly have the power to do so with ease. But you said there were… complications? Things even you can’t alter.” 


Valerie cocked her head as she tried to recall how Cathay phrased. “Wait no, not complications. You said… chains? Or something like that?” 


"Restrictions, if you want me to simplify the terminology." 


"I am allowed certain actions, despite the power my throne and crown grant me," Cathay explained. "I'm free to annihilate a galaxy, plummet a planet into madness, but I am never to impede on the Depths’ purpose; evolution and growth through carnage and slaughter. To do so would be to deny all we stand for." 


Cathay looked back onto her long life, noting all her struggles within and how she had grown stronger as a result of so much suffering. Both her own and her victims. She recalled how she used to view poorly the Rulers who claimed infinity, believing their rise to power was anything but the strife she thought was needed to grow mighty. Now here she was, among the numbers of those she looked down upon, greater than she’s ever been before but less than anything she could have grown to be. 


Moving her Beloved's fingers away from her back, Cathay repositioned herself again so that she may look up at the ceiling of the apartment. 


Beyond it a quiet universe waited, filled with stars she once bled with fervor. Back when she was free to do so without restrictions. 


She didn't possess that now. Such privilege of freedom and glory was lost to her. Instead, all she had were her duties. The last thing she wanted in the past. "It's ironic actually. The greater a Ruler’s domain is the further their influence reaches, and there's hardly a domain as extensive as the Deep. There’s hardly anyone stronger than myself. I made sure of that. With a thought there’s rarely a law of reality I can’t freely alter. But my crown prevents me from doing that, despite giving me the means to do so in the first place.” 


“A Ruler cannot interfere in the business of another kingdom, nor can they deny their domains' nature. That is what it means to be chained. Restricted."


Cathay had far more power at her disposal as just the Archfiend of the Depths than she does now as the Tyrant of the Deep Wastes. Her influence could not be denied but the loss of her personal freedom was a crippling blow to her otherwise horrifying reputation. It was one of the greatest reasons as to why Cathay never coveted the position. Not her nor the other Primals. 

Unfortunately, because of their extreme, sometimes even the strongest must bend the knee for necessities sake. 


The position fell upon Cathay and thus was her duty. This was plain and simple. A fact that wouldn’t be ignored. That didn’t mean she didn’t long for the chance to exercise some old habits though. 


Valerie fell quiet. She always did when Cathay went on one of her ‘cosmic ramblings’. They were always a lot to take in. Never mind that the Ruler openly admitted to eradicating whole solar systems, a point they will definitely come back to later no doubt, it almost seemed as though they were… unhappy with their position.


The towering human shifted uncomfortably, making sure to be careful so as not to disrupt her doll-sized lover. When looking down towards her stomach though, Valerie saw she hadn't even disturbed the eldritch queen. They just looked up, no doubt watching the infinite void of space beyond their shared apartment, wishing to be a part of its eternal wheel of change once more. 


Either that, or again they were just lost in their own mind. 


Now that she thought about it, Valerie was fairly certain Cathay never talked about how long she's maintained her throne. Certainly long enough to have grown tired of her position in the Deep. "It's kinda clear you never wanted your role, so why take it? I mean… if it's something you dislike there should be no point in keeping it right?" 


Valerie's eyes went wide the moment she realized what she had said. "Not that I'm complaining!" She backtracked, after having basically told her Girlfriend to quit her 'job'. "Ultimate power looks good on you!"


Cathay sighed softly. Though they did not understand the hierarchy of the Deep, Valerie’s clear recovery and attempt at humor was appreciated. "Circumstances," she said simply. "I was in a position where I was deemed best fit to lead. I am the Depths' strongest even without my crown. It only made sense that I take the mantle. We are a society that values power after all, and who in the cosmos possesses more power than I?"


"It didn't matter if I wanted to take it or not. I needed to take it."


Cathay turned to see the worry in Valerie's eyes. She knew that expression of theirs very well. Though they've only been dating for a few short months, that one particular look had become one of substantial recognition. The Ruler stood up, planting her bare feet into the soft skin of Valerie's abs, not even thinking of returning to her human size. Making her way to one of the human's hands she raised their index finger to their cheek. 


Valerie’s worry would not do, nor would it sit well with the Ruler of the Deep. In a cosmos as vast as theirs, after eons of tormenting others, it was Valerie’s worry that Cathay wished to quell. 


"Before you ask, no, I do not regret taking my throne." Lightening the mood, Cathay kissed the tip of the finger she was caressing. Despite possessing quite an impressive size in comparison to herself there was hardly any issue. "I have very few regrets in my life as is. Had I never adorned my crown, and had Gilah never come to the surface of Earth, I would have never met someone as extraordinary as you." 


It was actually rather likely the Earth would have died out decades ago were such events to never have passed. That was something better left unsaid though. "I am glad I won't have to live with such regrets as ‘what-if’."


Whatever worries were alive within Valerie were immediately washed away in this display of affection. Despite normally being the one 'in charge' of this relationship, the human could not deny that when the situation demanded it Cathay could be a very smooth talker. 


Of course such bravado never lasted long, and though her face was flushed red from Cathay's declaration that did not stop Valerie from coiling her fingers around her girlfriend's waist rather suddenly.


"God… DAMN you are too much!" 


Without warning, Valerie's lips met the side of the Ruler's face. Their width alone was enough to take up much of Cathay's sight,  and once the human's tongue snaked out from her maw she knew what was coming next. 


Cathay could feel every single one of her neurons flare the moment Valerie's tongue made its way between her thighs and worked their way up to her chest. Passing an impressive pair of breasts and running against the rest of the Ruler's head, there was nothing that went untouched. Valerie would have her fill after such smooth talking, and there was hardly anything the mighty Tyrant of the Deep could say that would stop her.


As if she wanted them to stop. 


Every cell was rife with pleasure and it was all Cathay could do to keep herself under control. It was already evident however that one of them had lost their cool. The clear larger of the two, but at this rate the lust might be shared. 


With a huff, Valerie pulled back; a string of saliva keeping her lower lip connected to her lover's body. "You know that's not fair! I'm here acting worried for you and you just go say something so… suave! It's like you're trying to get me worked up!"


While not her intention Cathay saw nothing wrong in this sudden development. Though the original intention was to simply relax, at times it was just better to go with the flow. 


"Maybe I was, maybe I wasn't." The Ruler taunted as she remained in her girlfriend's gentle grasp. "There's only one way for you to find out, my Star~." 


The look in Valerie's eyes had changed from worried to wanting; a wonderful development for Cathay as it helped to take the human's mind away from further inquiries. There was only so much the Archfiend could keep from her before ultimately caving and divulging her eventual plans for humanity. The longer things remained hidden from their eyes the better. 


And there was also the added bonus of a lover’s pleasure for one who had gone too many eternities without such a sensation. 


"Bold today aren't we?" Cathay's body was lifted higher as Valerie positioned herself down below, until her mouth was just inches away from her lover's legs. "I like that. Usually all I get is your face buried in a pillow while I get to work in the back~.” 


“Of course I imagine that’s something you enjoy, seeing as you’re always dripping from anticipation.” Cathay’s face flushed a red even deeper than Valerie’s as the human talked on, bringing with her images of past conquests in the bedroom. “How do you think all your rivals and enemies would think of you once they learned you just love to get your shit rocked? They’d probably be disgusted, wouldn’t you agree?~” 


Cathay couldn’t say anything. Things had moved faster than anticipated. Already she could feel her heart beating as though it would leap out of her chest. Her lips quivered as her whole body shook, but all the while she felt a queer smile form. 


“But fuck them if they think that.” Valerie continued once she saw her girlfriend’s quivering form. Normally so powerful and threatening, now reduced to shaking and meek. It was adorable to watch. “Those pigs can keep their thoughts to themselves. You though… you get a first hand look at how well I can rock a Ruler's world~." 


Biting the fabric of Cathay's pants, Valerie slowly began to work them off with such a level of skill that she didn't need to worry over ruining them. They’ve had their runs of practice already; these antics were second nature by now. 


It was… fun. Despite her mortality, the Eldest Armitage was terrifyingly skilled in making others bend to her will. She had no great power, nor a mind shattering aura. No magic to use or abuse. All her traits of domination came through repetition, practice, and just an ounce of natural skill.  


It made Cathay wonder what sort of title they’d hold were they to ascend to divinity. An impossibility considering Valerie’s refusal of such an idea, but it was still a pleasant thought to be had. That said, they needed no divine spark to even be considered a goddess. 


They already were. Cathay’s Goddess to be precise. 


Even when compared to her magnum opus, it might not be long before Valerie's love overshadows even that too. Regardless of feelings and sensations however, there was still work which needed to be done


Come morning, once Valerie was satisfied, it'd be back to the old, chained duties. Yet contrary to what she had said prior, Cathay's chains didn't feel so tight anymore. At least not today. Through these little acts it felt as though her old freedom had been attained again. Lovely and desirable, it was rather addicting. 


What a pleasure it was to experience such forms of privilege again, even in some small measure. 


It almost felt similar to that day. 


The very one where the universe fell silent and ceased in motion. When the destruction of a grand city felt almost as good as getting tasted by a beautiful Numen. 



***


Lubaeron proved worthier than Cathay had originally expected. Far more than someone she originally considered as weak and spoiled should be. She thought them to be over reliant on their power granted through status, and while that may have been the case before, the First Dreamer proved terrifyingly adept at evolving themselves. 


Not in the same sense as the Depths, their evolution was more spiritual. Personal. In only a few centuries of continued combat against the Archfiend they had grown as both warrior and as a god. 


Clutching her own side to keep her blackened blood within her own body, any healing impeded through whatever wounds had been sustained, Cathay wasn't above admitting when she was wrong. 


She had misjudged Lubaeron. 


Their battle was lengthy and fierce, and the Lord of the Dreaming City clung to life with all the strength they could muster despite having never needed to fight a day in his life prior. Desperation inspired many a mighty warrior, even in their last minutes; the fallen lord was no exception. They persevered for centuries where others would have fallen in mere moments. That alone was praise worthy.


Even having grown to her true size at the climax of the battle, a form so large that a single footstep could be felt across the Dreaming City's infinite expanse, proved not nearly as effective as Cathay had originally thought. She just gave Lubaeron a larger target to skewer in their end. 


One void spawned lance managed to find itself piercing the Primordial's side, thus her need to keep her innards inside. A grievous wound that she could thankfully mend in time, but it only served as a reminder of how hard the King of Dreams had fought. 


Regardless of how much they struggled though, Lubaeron fell in the end. Despite being more powerful and stubborn than originally anticipated Cathay still proved mightier in the end. She would have ripped her nemesis in half were she of a smaller size, but in the end she allowed the Tyrant to overcharge his own powers. Despite being quite adept at evolving they could not keep the pace with their own growing power.


It turned on Lubaeron. Flooded throughout their body, turned against them. Cathay needed only to wait for the right moment to finish the job. But even when it came the First Dreamer didn't scream. He laughed instead, somehow satisfied over how well he managed to push back against inevitability. 


Prideful Bastard…


Using the remains of the city as a space in which she could rest upon, the Archfiend cared little for the corpses of those who had fallen, or those who continued to fight. While titans in their own right, Depthborn and Guardians were flattened with mercy beneath Cathay's form. Even the once sturdy structures of the city crumbled underneath the very same beauty who had begun this invasion, only now magnified by an untold amount. 


She looked down at the corpse of her once hated foe, frozen like some statue and rippling with untapped power. There was no telling how far Lubaeron might have grown had they learned to acclimate to their rising potential. Had they done so then the battle might have ended in their favor. As much as Cathay loathed to say it, their growth had moved her. Even if it was in some small measure. 


It was so very Depth-like.


Not many would fight as furiously as Lubaeron did despite having no chance at victory. Doubly so seeing as the Crimson Bastard never fought with his natural power prior to this day. It is as Cathay said before, had they focused on their defining strength rather than their regal crutch they may have grown to become a formidable warrior. 


It was… respectable.


Like venom on her tongue, Cathay could barely stomach such words despite the truth behind them. Lubaeron's refusal to die without a roar rather than a whimper had earned himself the begrudging respect of his ancient foe. 


Even when they knew what was to come in their loss they did not show weakness. 


They met their death with more bravery than some deities, and even then that did little justice to the bravery Lubaeron expressed. Though Cathay wished it as such, she had the feeling the First Dreamer would not be forgotten easily. 


That is, unless she were to wipe the board clean. Give the cosmos a reason to never utter the Crimson King's name ever again. 


A horribly terrifying idea, and something which brought a small smile to the Archfiend's lips. 


Clenching her titanic hand tight, the feeble form of Lubaeron's petrified body could not withstand the mountains of Depthborn flesh that enclosed around him. Despite the respect which had been developed, the corpse of the dead Dreamer proved far too intriguing a tool to not take advantage of. All that untapped potential Cathay had seen, along with their power witnessed. She could feel it all along with the shuddering of the Domain's authority, felt through the properties of her tablets turned tattoos. 


Not even a crack was heard as Lubaeron's body gave out. Extreme care needed to be taken. Though the Dreaming City was without a suitable soul to ascend the throne there was still the chance that someone, somewhere could inherit the power left behind. A pseudo-tyrant; a being born out of universal necessity. There must always be a Ruler… or at least that was what was believed. The Heavens alone disproved this one belief, and all Cathay had to do was remind the whole of totality that not even the almighty should be free of the fear of death. 


Through the use of her ruinous tablets she could feel it. Lurking beneath the surface that was her dead foe's broken form; golden and pulsating with impalpable power. The very makings to turn the intangible solid. To make the unfathomable coherent. The strength to make all that is impossible realized. 


A gilded crown. A throne which demands subservience from all. The very chains of a Monarch. 


Cathay tore them free from their ontological bindings forcing a form and structure which she could freely manipulate. Turn them into a star even brighter than the first she had ever seen. 


Undulating, unstable, the energy cried out as she ripped it free of the vessel that would contain it. It's king, it's master, now nothing more than a voice silenced. 


The physically formed supremacy would not last long, even if it was held and contained through power meant to defy it. Its existence was greater, its nature an anathema to Cathay's own crafted repellant. The two rivaling powers clashed and it was clear which would win out in a persisted battle. 


But whereas the Authority could not be given purpose without a wielder, Cathay's metaphysical abomination already possessed the hands which may guide it. It held that one advantage that would cement its victory. 


Taking the power into herself, a painful but necessary action, Cathay looked to the shattered stars above and came to a single conclusion. Extinction. Not a single life remained in who knows how many nascent dimensions. So many souls lost in the battles between the Deep and the Dreamers and still it was but a small portion of the whole. It had all become a graveyard, one that would serve as a reminder to those who thought there were no higher powers than Tyrants. A ludicrous notion that has gone uncontested for too long. Soon to be a memory, one that would make many a pretender royal wary of inheriting the ultimate of positions.  


Raising a hand towards the dead sky though, Cathay fell silent as a pain shot throughout her body. Sudden and sharp, it had barely registered beyond just a minute twitch of her brow, and yet she knew she had changed exponentially. She could feel it, all of it, the whole of everything flowing through her in a manner similar to the almighty sovereignty. Structures. Origins. Rules of reality. 


Reasons and solutions; questions to which she always seemed to have an answer to. 


It felt as though all things ambiguous and strange had been made clear in but an infinitesimal unit of time.  


Time? What is time? An artificial construct. A faulty structure based on the idea that events occur in a linear direction at all times for the sake of order in a disorderly system. Always forward, never back. Ever running closer to finality and rebirth. 


Evolution in motion. 


Cathay's thoughts didn't even seem like her own anymore… she could feel the heartbeat of every single life within her domain, her home, gnawing and fighting to live another day just as she had. But her reach didn't just stop there. It extended far beyond the confines of the Deep Wastes into the Heavens, the Void, Inferno; everywhere. 


Everywhen. 


Her mind expanded to the point where at a moment she could quantify the number of denizens within any given kingdom, any universe, were she to just step within their respective borders. An assertion of dominance through grace. 


So this… was the weight of Rulership. A transcendental power that defied logic. It was impossible to think any singular being could be worthy of such power, and yet a whole caste of kings and queens existed for the sole purpose of maintaining structure across the manifold. Some greater, some lesser, all indescribably more powerful than even the greatest god. 


And to think this was little more than a revelation rather than the power of Lubaeron, chief among Tyrants. Just a small taste into what was needed to govern totality. Without it, without those who ruled, there was no telling of what may happen to the whole of existence. 


It was grand beyond the ability to be put into words, and yet despite all that was seen and felt there wasn't a single indicator of satisfaction from the Archfiend. 


"Disgusting…"


The longer Cathay possessed the power the more disdain she held for those who sat on top of their glittering seats of power. She saw only a crutch born out of necessity and quick to be replaced when the next iteration of kings and queens came to be. It was the Dreaming City after all where such power came to be, and thus it would be within the City where it would die out when the time was right. Or at least that was the original intention. To have those who led continue to do so until the next hierarchy was ready; to be governed by Lubaeron himself of course. Self appointed king once again. 


That would not be allowed.


Such plans were gone now. Ruined. All that remained was Cathay and her own intentions. 


She would need to work fast otherwise she'd throw the First Dreamer's authority away too soon out of disgust, preventing herself from doing what she deemed as necessary. But even just using the stolen supremacy of a king was something which didn't sit right with the Archfiend. Even for one as terrible as her it still made her feel foul. 


Tracing a finger across the vast abyss of space, a thin line took shape, overlapping the very breach which had allowed an invasion from the Deep Wastes. It was empty yet still young and ripe with energy. The very type the Depthborn used to invade all corners of the creation. The passage into the Depths quickly gained the same golden hue as the power which coursed through the Archfiend's body, whatever malignant, indescribable color present before taking on a tone of wondrous luster. But beauty did not denote what was occurring as a terrible silence overtook the city. 


The breach above seemed to shudder at the touch of the thin line of gold as reality caved inward into itself. Slow and subtle, like a sheet of cloth in a gentle breeze that would soon turn violent at a moment’s notice. The two overlapping carves against the tapestry of all molded together, the violent and calm energies creating both becoming as one. The once golden hue of the tear across the Dreaming City turned crimson red as the wound into the Deep Wastes consumed into it, becoming as one singular structure. An apocalyptic marking to signal the end of something once invincible . 


The energies produced by the coupling afflictions shattered the very concepts which governed creation itself as all around the falling city mountain sized shards of crystallized reality fell in universally destructive clumps before shattering like glass. Everything was undone as all colors drained away from the ruins of the desolate kingom. All around chaotic tendrils spring forth from the newly formed breach, blanketing the fallen kingdom in a miasma reminiscent of the maddening primordial chaos which had existed before the conception of space and time, life and death. 


Before the shapes of countless marvels became what was known to all. It was all being set back to a point of greater influence; to a time when shapes and structure were a thing of illusion. 


Cathay split the domain in two and kept the damage contained only to the Dreaming City. While it would be a wonder to have every universe return to the original design of disorder it was not something that was within Lubaeron’s power to bring about. And in truth it was not desired. There was pleasure to be had in physical form; actuality.


Instead, through the tablets which had brought doom to the dead Tyrant, along with the power of his own crown, the Archfiend created a system within an enclosed space that allowed the earliest form of existence to persist, free of the order imposed everywhere else. The ultimate passage into that which brought anarchy to the senses, chaos to order, and lies to the truth of the weave of creation. The Domain of Dreams was altered, allowing perception into all realities yet only ever accessible to the Depths. Closed off and kept hidden away. 


Forgotten. 


Cathay snuffed out the embers of what remained of Lubaeron's rule, preventing any from undoing her work here as well as denying any the chance that another of bold spirit might try to claim the ancient authority.  


If the hierarchy of the Rulers was born within the Dreaming City then let its destruction ensure their eternal rule. Cathay had already killed the strongest of their numbers, and it was always ideal to live alongside prey you knew you could end.  


If any wished to challenge her then they need only turn to he who once thought himself chief of the omnipotent. The unassailable. Weak words, born for weaker minds, believed only by those who saw even a small glimpse of divine power and thought that was the epoch. Useless to one of the Depths. A crutch to a Primordial. 


Might and action, not words and threats; these were the powers of the Deep. That which can be destroyed, must be destroyed. That which can be devoured, must be. If there is a flaw to exploit then it must be exploited. There is no measure too great to ensure your continued survival.

Let all who possess a mind and soul hear these words and despair in understanding life’s true calling. There is only finality in the Deep. Infinity in tooth and claw. 


Rend, destroy , devour, until only you remain unchallenged. 

End Notes:

This chapter took a hhhhECK of a long time to write. Even after writing a helluva lot here there are still points I weren't satisfied with lol. But can only delay for so long. 

A LOT exposition, some foreplay, about the standard for me at this point. Hopefully the next one won't take me as long to finish.

I wouldn't doubt it though...

Chapter 7: Calamitous Ramifications by Viper07
Author's Notes:

Even the strongest are open to error when their attention is elsewhere and away from the issues before them.

One would think the manifold that was conception would fall apart, now that the First Dreamer Lubaeron had fallen. The self-proclaimed King of Rulers. Sole Sovereign of the Dreaming City and visionary of a quiet, serene cosmos; a dream as dead as their domain. Their death amounted to nothing. A loss of a cosmic tyrant and nothing more. Nothing unraveled once they were gone.  


The tapestry continued to evolve. The weave continued to grow. Creation persisted, ever in motion and always walking along the path of chaos. Of inevitable evolution. That is how it was. That is how it always should be


Change was the driving force of the universe. Of EVERY universe. There was no stopping that no matter how hard one tried. 


Yet some changes proved calamitous. Ruinous, even to those who set in motion the events that allowed for the wheels of fate to turn. A truth the Archfiend Cathay was realizing all too late after her victory over her ancient nemesis. 


She was at peace for a time. Feared by all but her own kind, and unchallenged out of fear of bringing hell upon one's homestead. Even the almighty Rulers dared not cross her, lest they suffer the same fate as their past-tense "King". His death was felt and Cathay's threat was clear. Keep out of her way and keep your life. Invoke her ire though and you forfeit everything. 


It felt good. It was wonderful. To be feared on such a scale. Why, there was no greater sense of accomplishment felt in Cathay's life. The countless gods she's killed and devoured. The kingdoms she's set to flame. None of it could compare to the murder of a Lord of the Cosmos. 


The greatest Lord at that. Her magnum opus.


It was pure bliss. Ecstasy at its finest.


But such ecstasy came at a cost. Serenity dulled the senses, and left the mind unawares over players in act. 


She was bested. Not in combat or power, but in subterfuge. 


Cathay had them in the palm of her hands. The keys to challenging those whose words and thoughts reshaped the stars. Her Tablets of Ruin; anathema to the omnipotent, now stolen from her. Snatched right from under her nose. An unthinkable act, to have stolen the weapons of one who has butchered countless. Yet they were gone. Absent from Cathay's clutches and set loose upon her own Domain.


Once more the fault fell on her shoulders. She was sloppy, and her actions proved costly. 


…the Third was dead. An entity who foresaw the fates of trillion; Alsanna of the Severed Sight, Seer of the Infinite, had been murdered… by the very same force which had stolen the Tablets of Ruin. Now some pretender was sitting on the dead Queen's throne, brandishing a crown that could not, would not, fit. The authority would not bend to them, they were no true successor, yet still they took to the throne. And the Depths bled for it. 


They were… different… Separate from the whole of the cosmos, of conception, reeking of blasphemous potential; reeking of ruination. The authority did not bend because they did not belong. The false King was an oddity. 


An anomaly


They were a byproduct of the Tablets, that had to be it. A ripple effect across the cosmos; the development of something similar to the slabs of stone, but evolved. Living and disastrous, they were weapons of meta-physical lethality. 


Walking Calamities. Were Cathay to take a guess, they were an autonomous response of creation to 'match' her heretical constructions. 


And to think, the first case of such a creature existing would be seen in a Depthborn.


She didn't deny the possibility that such beings could exist elsewhere outside the Depths. Her Tablets of Ruin were made to kill Ruler's. The ripple effect they created would have spread to even the tiniest of corners in the cosmos. 


It was just that there couldn't have been any creature brave enough, or dumb enough, to steal from her if they weren't already from her own domain. The pieces lined up too perfectly. But it couldn't have been a whelp; there was planning in this. Had there not been, had Cathay been aware of such theft the moment it occurred, Calamity or not she would have ensured her thief never lived to see their coveted crown. 


No, Whelps were hardly capable of thinking beyond their bloodlust. It was an older Depthborn. Something of an advanced enough age, capable of using Cathay's laxation against her. Humiliating to admit but it was the truth. She was caught off guard; yet not by a Primordial like herself. Yes it was something old, but still young enough that it didn't truly know the horror that was the Archfiend of the Depths. Far from being godly, yet possessing the makings of a terrifying warrior. An Elder perhaps. One upon the precipice of advancing in coveted evolution. The midway point of the Depthborn hierarchy. Powerful, intelligent, but often too reliant on underhanded methods to get ahead despite their formidable strength. Most Elders possessed "lackies". A pack which followed their order, unwilling though it might be. This one did not seem to have such numbers at their disposal, otherwise Cathay would have sensed them over their master. 


Whatever the case was, the Archfiend's tablets had been taken from her. Stolen to bleed a Queen dry and usurp her power. Worst still, the bold Thief had reshaped the very slabs Cathay's blasphemous words were written upon; refit into weapons which tore and mutilated the flesh of all things. 


Sorrowful armaments forged from ruin. It was almost enough to impress the Archfiend. Such change took more than a bit of skill, and far more intelligence in the arcane arts than even some of creation's oldest entities might possess. 


Still, it was a basic attempt at understanding the ontological atrocities of Cathay's designs. No doubt it was a soul who followed in her footsteps. A beast who sought to evolve and rise in power, perhaps to the status of Primordial. An impossibility as none could replicate the conditions which allowed the Depths first kings and queens to ascend, and when this was learned the little Thief's eyes turned to a power fit to challenge the chiefest of existence. 


The very same power which had upended Lubaeron's rule; reduced his reign to ash and bone. 


Now that poison had been turned against the Deep Wastes. The death of Alsanna was just a catalyst. Everything began to fall apart after that. 


With the death of its Ruler and a false king upon the throne, those of the Depths turned against one another in an attempt to find a 'true monarch'. No Domain has lost as many Rulers as the Deep, and thus its place in totality would be questioned. Challenged. For a kingdom ruled by strength and unbridled power, to have so many of their strongest fall so often was a sign of eventual weakness. Exploitation. The folly in relying on bloodlust alone. 


A mistake which could prove fatal if left without remedy. 


The Depths were not the Heavens. It needed a ruler to exist. To maintain balance between the battle hungry. It needed a strong hand to guide it. The throne was not coveted, but one greater than all the other rabble must take it. It was the only path towards survival. 


It was a needed sacrifice. One that even the Primals, those who stood to lose the most from gaining supreme power, understood. So they fought, endlessly, for an unwanted crown. All denizens of the Depths fought, yet there were no battles more devastating than those fought between two Primordials. Between titanic bodies, whole clusters of nebulae were birthed and burnt away as opposing powers clashed. Gods and Devils dared not intervene, nor did any rivaling domain think to turn their attention against the Deep. It was not their place to intervene, and really many were just hoping the Deep Wastes would end itself. 


These grand beings who have lived since before the dawning of space and time tore each other apart, desperately seeking the mightiest who might challenge the False King. 


One death turned to ten. Then from ten a hundred more fell. Over and over again, as worlds faded into obscurity before being born anew, the Royalty of the Depths fell in cluster after cluster. Decades turned into centuries, and centuries into millennia. The eldest fell, either at the claws of their betters or the blades of the False King. 


A hundred deaths turned into a thousand, and a thousand into hundreds of thousands. These legendary beasts who had existed within the Primordial Chaos prior to creation, struggled to give themselves physical form, continued to fall. All doomed to sleep eternally. 


Sill, despite their dwindling numbers, the fighting did not cease. There was no end to the bloodshed. Not until the Thief King laid dead, and a true Ruler took the crown.  


But none could touch them. Were it so simple they would have already been dealt with. Cathay's conceptual abominations turned weapons made short work of any who thought to defy the Thieving Ruler, and unfortunately the Primordials were found among those numbers. 


They did not respect the Calling to challenge the throne as well. They did not respect the strength of their challengers, instead choosing to use the power their venomous tools granted them. 


It became clear that this ascended Elder coveted and maintained their throne with zealous paranoia, striking out against those who might wrestle away control from them. There were none more capable of that than the Primals, and likely this Ruler wouldn't stop until such forces were gone from the cosmos altogether; so as to maintain their false sense of power.


It was through blind luck that Cathay remained unnoticed, but as the Tablets were her creation that would not last forever. She imagined that the Thieving King painted her as the greatest threat to his throne, seeing as she was the killer of Lubaeron, and though she's avoided conflict up until now it would not be long before the Depths' bloody civil war found her. 


So Cathay fled. Hid herself away on dead worlds where nary a star could be seen in the sky. Planets in creation that lacked any life upon them, either through mass extinction or other means. There was nothing to bleed dry on such worlds, and thus the Deep had no interest in them. They made for a good shelter. An escape from the conflict. Temporary; only serving long enough that hopefully the Archfiend could plot some solution to this mess that she’s made. 


Cathay used silent, empty cities as her bedspread, allowing her mind to drift and scheme as structures were flattened under her form. The destruction of even a few miniscule structures wasn’t a necessity, and if anything else it was merely an escape from current circumstances. She could savor the taste of towering monuments, or crunch them beneath her heels as much as she wished, these misfortunes upon the Depths were of her own design; unintentional though they may be. 


She was at fault, and a great many knew this. Thus the issue fell upon her. Cathay needed a plan. A lead. Something, anything, which may bring an end to the False King and restore some semblance of order to the Deep, or whatever it is that keeps the whole domain from tearing itself apart. She wanted the thief who had made a fool of her dead. And humiliatingly she couldn’t be the one to kill them. 


What the Archfiend needed was someone on her side. A warrior of similar nature to the Calamity turned Tyrant. Defiant of the all-powerful. Slayer of the Omnipotent. An anomaly to manipulate was the ideal weapon needed. Dangerous… but malleable if one planned far enough ahead. 


So she followed rumors. Small ones, detailing the possible whereabouts of such warriors. The Depths were not the only kingdom to possess such anomalies, and it was very likely that the various domains of totality housed their own types of metaphysical abominations. All that was needed was one willing fighter. A sacrifice to the False King, to kill him and then themselves die. 


There was already a lead of noteworthy interest. A young leviathan raining mayhem on some off-shoot world in the far corner of the cosmos. Bloodthirsty and caring only for the carnage of battle, they seemed ideal for molding if indeed the rumors were true. 


But one warrior alone would not be enough. Not when the whole of the Depths was in a frenzy. Calamities were strong, but the unending numbers of whelps and elders were enough to whittle away at any defense other than a Rulers. Cathay needed allies. Powerful ones; those like herself who have persisted since the dawning of conception. She needed her fellow Royals by her side if she wanted this to work. Not all of them, but just enough that their chances of victory increased; even if ever so slightly. A task easier said than done. If anything, most primals would view the Archfiend with resentment as it was her who brought this chaos upon them all. Still, even if only a few rallied to her side, she could make this work. 


There was a solution to all of this, Cathay just needed to find it. She needed time, as well as rest. A dead world made for a serene surrounding, and though it lacked some coveted warmth hopefully it would provide the clarity the Archfiend needed to map out her path forward. 


In time. All things in time. Cathay only had to move forward, same as she’s always done. Dauntless, without fear, without equal. 


Unbending to whatever the cosmos may have waiting for her. 


***


Cathay's mind was aflutter, unable to think straight as Valerie had her way with the dwarf-sized Ruler. Carried away into the apartment's bedroom, the two women wasted no time in exercising Their idea of fun. The Ruler's shirt had been pulled free of their body, leaving behind only a black laced bra that did little to hide away the lashes from previous ‘escapades’. Trophies all. Beauty marks which were treasured truly. Just as she could be gentle, Valerie could also be fierce in her foreplay, and each little bruise or burn upon the Ruler’s body was enjoyed immensely by both parties. No creature so fragile should leave such markings upon one so grand, and yet here they were relishing in such macabre glory. 


Though despite the frightening creativity of the Human’s mind, the devices she’d use in building up her Lover’s lust, there was no tool she enjoyed more than her own hands. Her fingers to be precise. A method of stimulation which Cathay had come to learn and love in great detail. 


Valerie was delicate at first, tenderly toying at the lower lips of the Ruler's body. Enough stimuli to earn herself a soft moan, teeth upon the lower lip, or the minor twitch of a finger. Cathay was teased with, toyed, tied down and tantalized, but never out of malice. Faux cruelty perhaps, but nothing was ever forced. 


Valerie tempered it to what was wanted. Desired. Needed. The service of the "Master", to their servant. A gift and a pleasure. 


Cathay submitted, but it was Valerie who expertly served. 


Even when thrusting her fingers more forcefully in between shaking legs, the human never pushed beyond what she knew was necessary. Even as the Ruler's panting grew more bothered, rapid in succession and cessation, she always took care to monitor her Beloved's expression. Keeping an eye out for anything awry. 


But in looking towards the Ruler to ensure the pleasure was guaranteed, the kind but naive human failed to realize the purpose over what she held in her fingers. What she used to stimulate her pet. 


Chilled metal, misshapen and silver. An angel turned necklace, now reduced to little more than a toy for the two Goddesses' amusement. 


What wonderfully shrill screams flooded Cathay's ears. Cries that went unheard by Valerie, yet served to aid them all the same in their current endeavor. Though the unfortunate Bird had done nothing to earn such treatment, the lustful usage of their bound body was too wonderful an opportunity to pass up on. 


"Goodness, you've gotten so wet Cath~." Valerie mused with a lascivious grin. Her fingers needed no aid in pleasing her cosmic girlfriend, there was lubrication aplenty. "If I didn't know any better, you said what you said before because you wanted this to happen."


"Well don't worry, my lovely little Lord. Let your Star take away all your worries~."


Cathay couldn't so much as utter a single word. She didn't need to. In between the squelching heard below, the Ruler could hear as the silver skinned Watcher was thrust within her before being pulled free, if only just to repeat the process until climax was reached. Torment that was far too good for their kind, but who was Cathay to deny her Queen this glorious opportunity. 


Though unaware of her necklace's true properties, Valerie had suggested they use the Ruler's favored piece of jewelry as their means of enjoyment. A singular request that set Cathay's molten eyes ablaze. 


With her arms wrapped around her drastically smaller lover, Valerie kept Cathay close with one hand while the other went to work. It offered a clear glimpse into the rapid heart paces behind her chest; a sign that merely instigating such sinful acts was almost enough for the human. 


Almost…


Cathay thought to close her eyes, to rest for but a moment, but was met with a sharp pull of her cheek. 


"Don't fall asleep on me just yet," Valerie warned, her grin widening to a toothy, borderline sadistic smirk. "Don't think you're the only one who gets to have fun. That small body of yours is so cute. I just wanna sit on it. See if it can handle the pressure~."


Practically an insult when coming from the lips of any other being. But from her Star, from Valerie? It was an invitation towards ecstasy. 


That is what this was. The finest ecstasy, the most pure of bliss. There was no competition. This is what Cathay had craved. This is what she yearned for. No more planning. No more plotting. Just living in the moment, alongside one who she was more than glad to live it with. 


In between thrusts, Cathay could barely form words. Despite being capable of annihilating entire clusters of galaxies with a thought she found herself powerless against one who couldn't even be considered an atom when compared to her. And she loved every moment of it. 


The terrifying, mighty, and widely feared Archfiend enjoyed being used as some toy. 


"F…for you… m..my Queen… a… aaahn… any…thing…"


For a moment Cathay's wings materialized and fluttered, trying to wrap around the Human's body but failing to due to their difference in size. Caught up in the moment the duo had forgotten that factor quickly enough. An easy fix as the moment after, Cathay returned to her "normal" height and remained seated in Valerie's lap; her weight finely distributed so that no discomfort of any form fell upon the Human as a result of the sudden alteration. With their Lover's fingers still in between her legs, the Ruler's fiery gaze met the alluring eyes of her partner. 


"J…just name it… and… and it's yours…"


Valerie's grin softened as she pulled free her digits from Cathay's lower mouth, unintentionally leaving behind their necklace to continue wallowing in despair. They rested their hand upon the Ruler's cheek, allowing them to lay their head upon her palm despite the lubricant still staining it. An admittedly lovely taste as Cathay's longer than average tongue slipped from between her lips to lick at her Beloved's fingers. 


"How about you? Is that something you can grant?" The bold woman asked, well aware that Cathay was already hers and hers alone. 


Slipping her tongue back into her mouth, Cathay chuckled. She was enraptured by the simplicity and genuine affection in Valerie's request. 


"With ease my Dear~." 


As the two embraced, the world shrank away. The bedroom of the apartment was in itself a universe of its own. One that did not matter so long as the two were by each other's side. Time held no meaning, as did the ancient past of the Archfiend. Not in the here and now. Not at this moment. 


The screams of the angel below died down eventually, their mind or spirit finally breaking. It didn't matter which. Nothing but this embrace mattered. 


But as the two Lover's continued in their lustful care of one another, a realization dawned. The world… had indeed truly shrunken away. Faded, in truth, would be a more appropriate word. All but the bed the two women laid on top of remained, and as the pair pulled away they were met with oblivion. A vast empty expanse of nothingness. Infinite. Endless. There was no light here. No source of sound. Only a chill that penetrated beyond flesh and bone, body and mind. Deeper. Natural. The ever present fear of the unknown. 


But despite the strange setting Cathay and Valerie now found themselves in, neither woman was wary. If anything, they even seemed annoyed. In their moment of distraction they were pulled away from reality. Taken elsewhere. And neither one appreciated that. 


A vein formed over the Ruler's brow as Valerie reached beneath a pillow atop her bed, pulling out a box of cigarettes and lighter. 


"Well, that's certainly a mood killer." she noted as she took a drag from a freshly lit cigar. Puffing out a plume of smoke, Valerie reached out to offer the currently fuming Ruler a hit. When their offer wasn't even registered however it was taken back with a shrug. "Yeah, I know. 'They' couldn't have picked a worse time to drop in."


Up above, a mass took shape. Pale flesh that undulated alongside the resonating thump of a heartbeat. Black veins formed across its surface, growing rapidly and expanding outward as it took on a more defined, if not grotesque, shape. Still, despite the macabre scene Valerie was hardly taken aback by what she was witnessing. Only a few short months into her relationship with the Archfiend of the Depths and already she was used to such sights. Especially in the case of the 'company' Cathay kept. Right now, Valerie was more annoyed if anything, though her annoyance was nowhere near the anger her Girlfriend felt. 


Such theatrics had a time and place. The present was NOT one of them. "You know, I always appreciate a visit from you Ordy, but you couldn't have picked a worse time." 


It wasn't long before the mass of flesh had finished its transformation, revealing the Pale God Ordegash in all their horrid glory. No longer restricting themselves to their human form, the Primordial of the Deep had instead assumed their original visage. A towering, malnourished, and blind mass of bleached meat and tendrils; vaguely humanoid and possessing two mouths. Alien in appearance, yet they were in no way feared by the two women. Quite the opposite, they were rather irritated by the godly being's presence.


The bones within Ordegash's jaws cracked as one mouth opened. "My apologies, mistress Valerie. I did not mean to intrude." 


"The Ruler is needed. Her command required. The Depths stir once more." The other mouth explained, a larger hint of assertiveness present. 


"The duty of my Ruler calls. I am afraid it cannot be ignored."


Their mannerisms and pattern of speech had improved considerably since arriving on Earth. Enough that now Valerie could follow along with what Ordegash was saying, though she didn't like what she heard. Work was calling Cathay away, and on a night where they were both meant to be free. 


Before anyone could speak further, the world around all three quickly returned to normal. The vast void which had encircled the trio had been violently torn away, replaced with the familiar surroundings of Valerie's bedroom. The floorboards pieced together as the walls surrounding the trio rose from below to take their place, wallpaper and all. Before long everything was as it should be, and the only thing now out of place was Ordegash themselves; shrunken down and reduced to a size no more than a bloated slug. 


"To blazes with my duties! Do you have any idea what you just interrupted?!?" Cathay finally asked, her anger finally getting the better of her. Moving closer to the edge of the bed, the Ruler's leg swung over the Primordial before having her foot crash down beside them. A few inches more to the right and the Pale Terror would have found themselves flattened. Alive, yes, but adhered to the bottom of their Majesty's sole and likely used as some means of stress relief. Thankfully, in no future Ordegash saw, did they suffer the same humiliation as the Angel above. 


No, any punishment on their head was more… permanent. Still that did little to terrify the Primal being. 


"A time of passion and love." The Pale God replied. "Carnal desire. Needed. Wanted. It will have to wait. The Ruler's duties come first. As do her 'instructions'." 


Cathay's fury diminished slightly upon hearing Ordegash's words. They would not be here had they not already completed their task. At least in part. The retrieval of one of her artifacts, once scattered to keep them out of the hands of those that might misuse them once again, herself included. Even the return of one was worthy of attention, and though the Ruler was annoyed beyond words she was not going to punish an assignment completed.

 

"You know damn well that wasn't what I meant…" Cathay eventually managed a steady hold of her fury, practicing lessons in breathing to curb her anger. She looked to Valerie, the Human already aware of her needed departure. Even then they still managed a smile, saddened though it may be. "My Star, I am sorry. This cannot wait. It's… important…"


Admirably, Valerie managed to choke back her disappointment with another drag of her cigarette. She kept it in for some time, allowing her thoughts to settle before exhaling. "It's fine," she muttered. Though it hurt to say, Valerie knew the duties Cathay needed to take care of. The kind of job that made her struggles as a freelance writer seem childish by comparison. She was in no position to complain. "Just try not to take too long, okay? Then maybe that way we can pick up where we left off?" 


With a somber smile, Cathay nodded. She stood up from the bed as her wings unfolded, sprouting free from her back. For a moment, the Ruler's body disappeared behind the expanse of the wing's membrane, only to reappear again once they retracted. Fully clothed in an attire more suited to Cathay's current tastes, and cleaned of any foreign material she might have procured during foreplay, the Ruler stood ready to depart. 


"I won't take long," Cathay promised as she adorned her shades. "I just need to address my court."


A duty that was despised, though mostly for the point that she's hardly ever needed to call together a meeting of her kin. There was only one point before where she had done so, and that was prior to taking the crown of the Deep. Her experience in this matter was lacking, but it needed to be done. As Ordegash said, these duties needed to come first. Especially when they pertained to matters of the utmost importance. 


With a snap of her fingers, Cathay returned Ordegash to a size more fitting for the small space present in the bedroom. She even went as far as to force upon them the gaunt appearance of their human form, though this was done so more out of spite than necessity. "Stay here with Valerie. Do as she wants when it is wanted. The rest of the court don't need to learn of your sudden 'departure' from your hole of a prison, nor my involvement with you."


As far as the rest of the twelve Primals were concerned, Ordegash was still locked away in the Depths. Contained, per the orders of old Alsanna. The knowledge of the self proclaimed 'Sole Order of the Depths' was dangerous. So much so that Cathay's predecessor deemed it too risky to allow the Primordial free reign in the cosmos. So they were locked away, surviving the near extinction of the Depths' Royalty as a result. Only recently were they freed, and in no small part thanks to Cathay's age-old friend Gilah. 


At the very least they were reasonable enough. Quick to serve and unlikely to argue. Trustworthy as far as Cathay was concerned. 


The Pale God bowed, understanding what was asked of them and having already foreseen the request. "As you wish."


Turning her back towards the two, Cathay was initially hesitant to depart. She wanted nothing more than to stay behind, remain with her Beloved, but this was too important an issue to ignore. Ordegash played their part, now Cathay needed to begin hers. There was just no avoiding that. 


One fraction of a moment, that was all it took for the Archfiend to vanish completely. Disappearing right before Valerie's very eyes. She was saddened, obviously, but understanding of her Lover's tasks. Some things just couldn't be overlooked. 


Especially when your duty allowed you the power to command the very stars. Reshape the heavens and earth, and bring about creation or destruction. Cathay's throne didn't really allow for 'time off'. It was a miracle her and Valerie could even have this. Their relationship. 


But sometimes, more often now that she had a clearer idea of who she was dating, Valerie wished she could be of some sort of aid to her cosmic girlfriend. Not just a shoulder to lean on from time to time, but someone that could more readily be relied on. An idiotic thing to wish for. She was only human after all. Just what matters could she possibly help with if her only trait worth mentioning was writing?


It was just circumstances Valerie needed to accept. Some things were just out of her grasp. 


She was just about ready to resign for the night when, unexpectedly, Ordegash offered a hand out towards her. Valerie watched on in curiosity, a brow raised; questioning the Primal's intentions. 


Not a word was said, but there was an intention felt. A different course of action. To ensure the Human's desires were met. As were the instructions given by their Ruler.  


To do as Valerie wants when it was wanted, even if not spoken vocally. And there was nothing they wished for more than to remain by Cathay's side, offer what help she could, even if it meant diving head first into whatever or wherever it was they were headed. 


Valerie did not decline the offer. She took Ordegash's hand, allowing her vision to be whisked away. 


As it was longed for. 


So it would be granted. 


This viewing of an audience between kings and queens.


***


A world torn asunder. The walls of its grand cities, shattered. The knowledge of a thousand generations reduced to idle echoes of an unsung civilization. 


Cathay walked through its halls at a size far beneath what was her greatest of scales. A speckish frame when compared to that of a god of the Deep. But there was no other way for her to walk about unbothered. To go about enjoying the detail of some finer constructs without burying them all underneath the shadow of her foot falls. To walk here at her truest of sizes would be to blanket what remained of cities and states in a few short steps. Enticing, but counterproductive to Cathay's search. She needed her warrior of renown to challenge the False King, and it served no one were the horizon of this world's rising crimson sun to be eclipsed behind her body.  


So she walked in the shoes of atoms. Lesser things that couldn't dream to measure against even a single cell of her being. Stepped through vibrant halls of cracked marble and shattered stone. 


And strange though it may seem, she… appreciated the work that had likely gone into the creation of so many marvels. A great many were eye-catching. Hoard worthy. She even took to wearing their fine garments as a fair deal fit her taste. It was almost a shame that the cosmos would be deprived of such wealth. Not monetary baubles, but true culture. That in itself was priceless. 


Of course the destruction of such creativity was favored among certain souls, not just those of the Deep. While there was beauty in the art which an enlightened people could create, the same could be said of its destruction. No matter how glorious a marble structure was, or how fine the strokes of brushes proved to be, nothing was ever truly timeless. Anything could falter. 


Cathay had seen it time and time again. 


Her one iota of advice; do not waste an eternity mulling over the dead, be they people or culture. Time slithered onward endlessly, unforgiving, even in the very heart of oblivion. 


And it wasn't long before time caught up with the Archfiend, and the world around her began to shake and stir. 


Like an earthquake that shook what was left of the ruins, it threatened to destroy all that remained. Only through the Archfiend's grace were the desolate structures allowed to retain their faltering shape. Call it some form of wishful thinking, but perhaps in time some space faring species of travelers would settle upon this fractured world. Learn from the mistakes of their predecessors, grow in more than just the architectural arts. Rise in strength as well as spirit. Provide a challenge for those who seek destruction. 


Again, wishful thinking. 


Alas, that was the future. Now was the present, where choices mattered. What would come next was what truly carried worth, and soon enough Cathay found herself blanketed in the shadow of another. The prize of her searching and seeking out rumors. 


An odd feeling to be sure, as often she was the largest being planetside, but not entirely unwelcome. A strange reversal of roles that allowed her the chance to truly take in the scale that was the titan rising from the rubble of their conquest; basking in the glory of the kill no doubt. Reveling in the death delivered, though stunningly not in regards to the demise of the artisan world. They, as it would happen, were the unfortunate victims of fatal cross fire. 


Peppering the crust of the planet were countless dead, titans all. Their bodies pierced upon mountain tops, or staining the waters of oceans all the way to the bedrock at the bottom. The blood and bodies of all those who thought to challenge this gladiator of gore. This wrathful warrior of war. This… Butcher of the Deep. 


They blanketed country sides. Flattened counties. In their death they gave this world its parting masterpiece. 


Finality in calamity. 


"Impressive…"


Cathay was at a loss for words. Such carnage was unexpected by anything other than a Primal such as herself. Even an Ancient of the Depths would find itself hard pressed to face off against so many of such power. And yet here they all were, ripped to shreds by one single soul. 


It was glorious. 


"Truly… truly incredible…"


The brutality of a Calamity was without comparison it would seem. This was already well known through the False King of the Deep’s actions. But to see such violence exercised by another, one likely much younger than the rueful Ruler, was enthralling. Regardless of what corpses were strewn about, be they conqueror, sovereign, god, and or devil, they fell all the same in the end; and though the Butcher was likely exhausted beyond words, their titanic form showing signs of fatigue that could only come from such a grand feat of savagery, that did not take anything away from the glory she likely felt in this mass murder.


"Perfection…" 


Visions of her first star appeared before the Archfiend once more. The way it captivated her much in the same way she was captivated now. 


Not only was Cathay taken aback by the destruction present, she was enamored by the physical beauty of this barbarian aswell. This beast carried with them a frame of body as feminine and as alluring as her own form, though fiercer and currently more powerful physically. The product of what was evidently centuries of combat experience. Non-stop struggles that refined an already formidable warrior. And it was magnified to such an extent at the Archfiend's current size that it seemed almost maddening that something so wondrous could exist despite bearing no signs of evolution. 


A Mako Brawler through and through. Potent behemoths that craved battle despite their normally alluring appearances. Lures for the foolish and blind; nothing remained of the victims of the Mako. This specimen in particular possessed the most wonderful of eyes and hair, which itself clung to the pale skin and scales of their exposed flesh. Whereas the former was of the brightest shade of magenta, the very window into the warrior's powerful heart, their hair was as blue as many a grand clear sky, speckled now with the blood of countless. Both worked in tandem of one another, complementing their features by giving the whole of the body an almost ethereal glow. A trick of the senses and nothing more, and yet it only added to the beauty the Archfiend was witness to.  


Cathay was speechless… smitten on the spot. She didn’t even think it was possible to feel such a way, in such a manner, and in such a small period of time. Though no doubt countless of eternities older than the mountain sized beauty she gawked at, the Archfiend still found herself enamored. Her black heart beated faster than it has in centuries. Not even the murder of Lubaeron brought about such… vigor. She was fixated, plain and simple. So much so that, in time, relentless whispers began to make themselves known to the wide eyed Primal, reminding her of the task at hand. 


This was no deity to be worshiped. The young Mako was a warrior meant to be thrown at the False King, so that the two may kill one another with their abominable natures. Their internal laws against the laws of conception.


Echoes cried out in the back of the Primordial's mind. They lashed out and pressed her forward towards the goal, forgetting their place and insisting on the haste of Cathay's assignment. This was just one of the many reasons why she, for the longest of times, preferred to work alone. Away from the ceaseless bickering of her kin. 


She growled, only once, for the insistent chatter to die down completely and allow for her continued observation. Though allies had been found in the conquest against the throne of the false Ruler, Cathay couldn’t help but lament the constant arguing between them all. Though the epitome of power within the Deep, and likely across the vast cosmos as a whole, their origins were still as strong as ever. The need for conflict, the desire for carnage, it was all there. And though the Primordial ones rarely gave into such temptations, having long since learned to refine their bloodlust, recent events have pushed ancient vices into resurfacing. 


They wanted to kill the King. Free the Depths of their clutches and allow for one more worthy of the throne to take it. But each of the Primals who allied themselves with Cathay, the strongest of their numbers, knew that to challenge their Ruler now, as they sat with the Archfiend’s wretched tools close at hand, would be to invite death upon themselves. So they needed to exercise patience, if only just to ensure their survival. 


Still, that understanding did little to hamper their constant bickering, and only through the constant noise was Cathay continuously reminded of her duties. Tasks which, now, she saw an end to.  


With some difficulty, she managed to get a hold over her beating heart, placing a hand over her breast to soothe what rested beneath it. "So… this is the Butcher I've heard rumors of?" Cathay watched as the warrior stood to her full height. Small when compared to others of her kind, only a few several dozen meters when compared to the true leviathans of the cosmos, that only added to the feat of this planet’s demise. There were few things as impressive as killing those hundreds of times your size; and likely she would grow in time, reaching heights on par with her much larger kin. "How exquisite"


This brute couldn’t be any more than a few thousands of years of age. One who had just advanced beyond the age of whelp. And to think, they possessed this much power at such a young age, alongside features uncanny amongst the masses. They were an anomaly through and through. 


Nothing to a Primal admittedly, but perhaps through passing ages they’d attain strength on par if not greater than most Ancients. And at a rate much faster than the common rabble. 


"Oh yes, she will do very nicely…"


Her transformation was sudden, though reasonably contained as Cathay shot up to a much more impressive stature. Something more appropriate for one of her reputation. Of course nothing near her full height, she wouldn’t want to flatten the unaware Butcher in a sudden and unintentional step, but enough to where they seemed like a child below kneecaps. 


Not at all expecting the sudden arrival of one so massive, the now much smaller Butcher staggered backward before assuming a fighting stance. She bared her teeth and extended her claws as the gills surrounding her neck flared. The warrior’s pupils narrowed as all she saw before her was another enemy to fell, undaunted by the clear difference in size and power. Cathay towered over them, along with the ruins that crumbled beneath the emerald flesh of her soft soles. Utterly annihilated, yet that was the furthest thing from her mind. 


They were wounded, tired, but still unwilling to back down from any sort of fight. The characteristics of one with strength capable of rising to the status of legends. Cathay glared down at them, amused and impressed as a wry smile edged upward on the corner of her lips. 


“Brave. Indomitable! I understand well why rumors were spread of you~” 


The Archfiend kneeled down before the Butcher, her form still placing them in her shadow but allowing for easier conversation. As she did, those very corpses which had been scattered across the battlefield that was this world began to rise. Five in total, each emitting off an odious aura that only served to place the young Mako on high alert. Their forms shifted, mutated, growing into beasts most foul. Pseudo Depth monstrosities that served as the proxy for something great. 


Something much… much greater. 


Avatars to the very Primals which Cathay had allied herself with, all curious to see this rising legend for themselves, working of their own accord against their Leader's possible wishes. 


It was all far too much for the one Butcher to handle alone. But despite the deeper senses that were shouting of the danger she was in, no harm was bound to befall her. Instead, with her titanic finger, Cathay placed a nail below the Mako's chin. They moved their gaze upwards, until magenta eyes met those of molten fury, silent and contained. Cathay’s wings unfurled and fluttered with wild abandon, an act which drew the curiosity of her peers. In the eyes of the Warrior it was a display of power, as each beating of her wings akin to a furious gale. In the eyes of the five Avatars present, it was an indication of fixation. Emotion which the Archfiend hid behind a malicious grin. 


“I suppose you believe we’re here to end you, Little Warrior? Kill you for your great many crimes?” Though no answer was given, none was really needed. Cathay could see it in the smaller Depthborn’s eyes. Acceptance over these circumstances. A good death was its own reward, and they’d gladly accept it. Fortunately, they would not die this day. At least not at the hands which propped her gaze upward. “As fortune would have it, that is not the goal. No Little One, we have a need for you specifically.”


There was curiosity, that much was clear. Though no fear could be seen, in its absence there was only wonder. Not of the strength which might one day be her own, the Young Mako knew her might would never compare to the Primal before her. Instead, inquiry over what the Gods of the Deep could want from her. 


“You haven’t lashed out. Good. That means you’re willing to listen.” Cathay liked that. Normally, those of this Warrior's age lashed out against all things, Primals included. It did not matter how dangerously outclassed they were, they never backed away from a fight. Though those traits were apparent in the carnage present, a weighty intelligence gave way to interest unseen in younglings eyes. 


The Mako Warrior never spoke. Never uttered a single word. She only listened, waited, taking in all that was said to her with cold comprehension. 


“We, the kings and queens of the Deep, have need of you, Young Calamity. Of your odd nature, and the wounds you can yield in so short an amount of time.”


“We need you to kill a monarch. Our Monarch to be precise.”  Cathay revealed. There was a moment where the Butcher’s eyes grew wide at the revelation. Surprise at such a heresy for a position believed sacred. Being so young though, they likely grew up under this King’s rule. They knew of no other who had sat on top of the throne. Thankfully, there was no outright denial. Cathay could see the interest behind those wondrous magenta globes. 


“I know you, Mako. I know your kind, your progenitor. One of my kin, though long dead now. They made you to fight. You, and all your brothers and sisters. No opponent is too great for the fury of the Mako, and what foe is greater than a Ruler of the Cosmos? Are you the same as your kin? Will you kill the unkillable through your nature alone?”


The Warrior fell silent, closing her eyes as she allowed herself to fall deep to thought. The other Primal’s stirred, their resurrected forms continuing to mutate further to better fit their true selves. If, for even a moment, it seemed as though their key to victory would not cooperate than they were more than willing to strike them down. An event only kept at bay by Cathay herself, her superior might be the only thing keeping the five in check. 


Eventually, their worries were proven to be for naught as the Whelp opened her eyes… and smiled. 


“Yes.”


The chance of such glory was too irresistible to pass up, as Cathay had predicted. The mother of the Mako was much the same way, even before Cathay ripped their beating, blackened heart from their chest. 


Though her physical attraction to this beauty of a barbarian remained steady, it was their mind which proved most interesting. Though more intelligent than those of their age, their mind was still young. Malleable. 


Easily fooled. 


Coerced into a fight that would end in mutually assured destruction. This way Cathay could wipe out two threats to the Deep in one fell swoop. 


Cunning at its finest.


Deception worthy of a crown. 


***


There in the deepest dark, she stood at the precipice of savagery. At the very bottom of the sea, at levels further below anything man could ever hope to explore, the Ruler of the Depths rose above a point of pitch black. A chasm that stretched on without end. A gate between the world that belonged to the apes, Earth, and her home. Her kingdom and territory. 


Despite being submerged in the lowest point of the planet's oceans, Cathay was not bothered by the pressure which assaulted her. In truth, she hardly even noticed it to be there. Like the wind hoping to tip over a vast mountain range, it couldn’t even be registered as a bother. She watched on, her form unchanged in size, and clothing as dry as they were on land despite the probable trillions of tons of water which surrounded her. She only observed… and waited. 


This breach, this gate as some earthbound Leviathans might call it, has remained within the lowest point of Earth’s oceans for countless generations. Since before man discovered fire and stone it had remained. Timeless, it had broken through here in an era before the time of man and it would remain long after they've died out. The breach was vibrant once, volatile. A fresh invitation for the horrors of Cathay's home. Now it was cold and silent; awake but refined. Honed to withstand the test of time until it was tempered beyond the point of collapse. Hardened to never be closed by unworthy forces. Only Cathay herself or her fellow Primals could close this breach now, and she held no intention of doing such a thing. 


The Ruler raised a finger towards the great chasm, ready to cross it across the inky blackness before her until, for the briefest of moments, her attention was drawn away. 


Her eyes darting towards the shadows of the pitch black ocean floor, she picked up on the melody of something… old. Far younger than herself of course, but old enough to have seen the history of this planet unfold. An echo, a phantom, hidden among the fields of deep sea mountains, and keeping to the shadows as though that would protect them from her.


They were watching, analyzing, and weighing the threat the Archfiend posed. Curiosity, anxiety; Their thoughts were laid bare. 


Ancient, wizened, blind yet enlightened to so much more than sight could allow, whatever lurked here in the deep dark was well aware of the nature of this tear in the manifold. A self appointed guardian, as seen through glimpses of the unseen creature's mind. Large, but far from the scale of even a whelp, and thus was far from suited for combat. They possessed separate means of protection however, as evident through their remarkable capabilities of concealment. A messenger of ruination? Or the first one to call against any coming calamity?


It didn’t matter. 


Regardless of how hard one might try to hide, there was no concealing yourself from the Archfiend. Even without a crown such an attempt would prove fruitless, and Cathay had killed many who thought to hide themselves away from her gaze. Greater have tried and failed, and it only took one glance in the unseen onlookers direction for the unknown sea beast to realize the danger they were in and flee. Back to whatever crater or hole they dwelled within. 


No chase would be given. As it were, Cathay was not here to enjoy herself. Turning her attention back towards her objective, she focused only on the duty which needed to be upheld. There was no time for even the most infinitesimal of distractions.  


Tracing her finger across the breach once more, the whole expanse came to life after countless years of dormancy, awakening in a violent yet beautiful display of unknowable, unthinkable colors. A temporary revitalization, the gate would return to its slumber in time. But for where she needed to go, the tear between Earth and the Depths must remain open. At least for now. 


The energies of the breach pulsated outward, expanding further into the planet's crust, taking ancient sediment into itself but also replacing what was lost with its own. Flora and fauna only found in the more docile portions of the Deep Wastes. Luminescent and wondrous, they mutated the ocean floor at a rapid pace, allowing the tear to better integrate itself into Earth's very being; making the two points of separate realities appear as one. Crossing over, bleeding, spilling into the universe through this one cut within creation. A means of simpler travel for one who did not simply wish to blink herself across uncountable dimensions. 


Cathay reached out towards the pulsating colors, grasping the violent energies as though it were little more than string to be toyed with. She felt it in Her very bones, the call and song of home. Its lure. Its draw. A melody known to all of Her ilk. Cathay's mind reached out through the connection, flowing through every cavern of the Depths infinite girth, crossing over the uncountable bestial minds of lesser Depthborn until she reached those who might hear her call; her voice. 


Her order. 


The command of a Ruler. 


They refused her at first, instead preferring continued slumber. An unconscious insult that was quickly met with rising ire. Cathay's body tensed up as reddened veins crackled across her arms and eyes. The whole of her being pulsed outward, a sudden shock that was felt by all within Earth's oceans. A brief wave of fear that left the mind as quickly as it came, but instilled a wrathful message that would not be easily forgotten. 


A brief taste of the Archfiend's rising fury. Cathay's wings exploded out of her back as her call quickly turned to a roar. The sudden shockwave tore through the breach, signaling to all within the Deep of her growing irritation. Compliance came easily afterwards. The message became clear, and soon obedience followed. 


Releasing the strings of energy, the Ruler stepped over the ledge which hung over the edge of the unknowable. Within the crackling gateway she could see it. How her home connected the Depths to not just Earth but everywhere. 


Everything


She could go anywhere, and there'd be naught a soul who could stop her.


Cathay threw herself into it, falling without worry as the turbulent power welcomed her home with speedy submission. It bent to her will, dominated, and carried the Queen of the Deep to where she wished to be, traveling at speeds faster than the very concepts which had once conceived light; moving through caverns of frozen starlight, and empty expanses as large as a nebula that eventually gave way to points which contained pillars of crystalline formation. The underskin of creation's immaculate form.  


Through time and space of various definitions, various functions, the Ruler of the domain most reviled shot past these iridescent obelisks of what was crystallized reality. Shrouded in a haze of shattered twilight, the underskin of all realities, this cavern of impossibilities, offered glimpses into all corners of conception. Recollections of the deepest histories now lost to time. 


They mirrored the Archfiend's reflection as she passed by each one. A million mirrors which contained a million different evolutions. Some beautiful, though horribly mutated. Others more monstrous yet perfectly refined for the hunting of divinity. Products and a constant reminder of a life lived through trial and error. Some worthy of honor. Others the greatest of humiliations. Yet they were all as much the Archfiend as this human form was. They were her story. Her tales of gradual evolution and ascension. Just one of many, as any who peered into these crystalline structures might see the weave of stories that was their life. Played out differently yet still serving to remind that every being, no matter how grand, was just another soul of the cosmos. 


Cathay's speed increased as she shot further past these crystalline chambers, faster and faster until at last nothing of their light and stories could be seen. With wings outstretched she suddenly halted her unthinkable speed, coming to a landing at a point of complete and total darkness. An emptiness so profound that it could stare back at you, giving the sense that it was all there was. All there would ever be. The lowest point of the Deep, reachable only to those who held dominion over its many shores. 


Standing up straight, Cathay tapped the toes of her boot against the unending void, allowing it the chance to expand outward. Growing in scale though not perceivable to mundane eyes, the vast nothingness branched out across the empty space as it soon grew filled with light. It rose upward, carrying with it the Ruler as flames like those found within a night sky flooded her vision. Numerous and beautiful, they were of the most incredible grandeur; but the Archfiend knew better than to be fooled by such sights. 


What expanded outward before her was no starry night, nor were they flames to light her way. The closer one looked the more they would understand what laid within these little smidgens of light. Possibility given form, it was the whole of totality exposing itself to her, her kingdom, and her citizens. What might be perceived as a star here was in truth a reality waiting to be invaded. A dimension that has yet to be bled dry. Universes young and old that remained unaware of the Depths existence. 


Some shined brightly, an indication of youth and potential. Others had grown dull and lifeless, long since devoured by the Deep, other forces, or slowly reaching their inevitable point of expiration. Every corner, no matter how obscure or how far-fetched, was connected to the Deep Wastes. A trait shared by all kingdoms of the cosmos. 


In that lay the purpose of the Monarchs of Creation. Rulers of their respective domains.


Maintaining not just their kingdoms but watching over the whole of the Multiverse and beyond. Bringing balance, equilibrium, in whatever form the nature of a domain allowed for. Such were the chains placed upon those who took to the thrones. To monitor and rule in the truest of senses. Such a position required the greatest of powers, and of course the firmest of minds. In both, there were none in the Deep but Cathay who could have taken the throne. 


The Archfiend passed through countless dimensions through the use of gates within these seeds of conception. Similar to those on Earth, they carried the Ruler from one plane of existence to the next. Some were overgrown with vegetation larger than any skyscraper. Others proved so advanced that they've long turned their suns and stars into inexhaustible sources of energy. One might contain countless galaxies in constant war with one another while another separate universe might have found the answer towards galactic peace. 


Another still carried with it worlds dominated by those of gargantuan sizes, while the greater antlike population groveled at their feet. 


Hundreds of thousands of various dimensions flashed before the Ruler's eyes as she continued to rise into the ether. Higher, Cathay climbed until the flashing of dimensions was replaced by the shadows of greater things. 


Terrors and beasts that swam between the thin filament which separated one reality from the next. Monstrosities so big that they cast the ascending tyrant in their shadow, leaving behind only fiery, red eyes which served as the sole indicator of who stood before them; small though she was by comparison. 


Two in particular circled Cathay, observing her carefully, weighing their presence against her own before realizing who she was. One, a great serpent of incredible length. Though only their silhouette was visible, Cathay could see the countless spines and tendrils which dotted their body. Opposite of them and directly behind Cathay, another shadow took shape. Not as large as the odious serpent; draconic in some manner, though misshapen and more monstrous. Again, only their silhouette was seen but every so often a plume of blue flame left what Cathay could only assume was the beast's nostrils. 


In respect they bowed before swimming ahead, choosing to arrive before their lordship rather than run the risk of even arriving a moment too late.


The Royals of the Deep have heeded the call of their majesty, though none thought she would ever take on a form so… weak. They would not argue however. Not against their queen. 


Not as they rose further, into ancient chambers of a domain long lost to the cosmos. A plane of existence where impossibility was given form, structure, and purpose. 


No, they would wait patiently. As this court of Primordials answered the call of their Monarch they could only imagine what words might be spoken. What demands would be given to them. 


In the ruins of the Dreaming City, where the Tribunal of the Depths convened, the eldest souls of creation waited in earnest for their lady's orders. 


For her voice which shook the stars and slaughtered the almighty. 


And as Cathay rose from the darkness of the Depths and through the gate which connected it to ruins of the once chiefest of Domains, she couldn't help but feel pride over having even five of the twelve remaining royals obey her call. Even in this instance where she was pulled away from her beloved, to know that beings so mighty would fall before her at only an utterance of her word was a guilty pleasure of a thought. 


Though her throne and crown were never wanted, it certainly had its fair share of perks. One such being having the eyes and ears of those who set fire to life eternal. They were loyal to her and her alone.  


What she wouldn’t give to show Valerie such a sight. To let them see the scope that was the influence of one who tied and had her way with. Knowing that power, seeing what it truly encompassed within the multiverse. It would serve to make their acts of foreplay even more intense. 


That thought alone put Cathay at ease, even in this meeting in which she knew she would be met with resistance against her plans. Her kin would bend however. They would serve, just as they always do. Sometimes, even if it was rife with difficulties, it was good to be Queen. 

End Notes:

This one took SOME time to make didn't it? Blame constant essays and other issues that real life drops upon this snake's shoulders lol. But here it is, after over two weeks, chapter 7. You know the rules, rate and review. DO IT

Chapter 8: Hear My Call by Viper07
Author's Notes:

The words of a Queen are heard. Her subjects listen.. and wait. 


-As is tradition with me, not a lot of fetishy stuff but plenty of lore down below.-

Stillness

 

Serenity across the battlefield that was the endless expanse of the kingdom founded through carnage. For centuries the war within the Deep Wastes raged on, unquenchable and seemingly unending, fought more fiercely than any other conflict across creation. The domain spoken with tinges of rage and fear had turned its claws and teeth inward; slowly bleeding itself to the point of no return. Primal murdered Primal, the eldest annihilated their kin ad nauseum, and the tunnels of the Deep ran black and blue with the blood and gore of all Depth kind.

 

There was never a moment of rest for those involved within this bloody conflict, nor those unfortunate many who found their worlds, their realities, caught in the middle of this wretched civil war. A great many knew the Depths would be the architect of its own demise… but to see it now…

 

A cold reminder that even on its deathbed nothing was safe from the Deep. Not until at last the fatal blow was struck. Not even itself.

 

Against the False King Uxaes, let his name be stricken from the deepest histories, nothing was held sacred. No life was held in high esteem. They were a warrior of the Deep who had thrashed for an eternity, wreaking havoc on not just their domain but creation as a whole in the search of ascending themselves. Rising to greater power. Now that they had it they would not part with it so easily. They would tear down totality if it meant keeping their false strength. 

 

So it was for so long that they thought themselves invincible, until the day came where they had been bested. Butchered by one so young they would have never been deemed a threat. A fatal and ultimately costly error.

 

When the Young Mako warrior that would challenge the Usurper King stepped up, and when their means of supremacy meant nothing to an abnormality of the cosmos, they knew their time had come.

 

They fought, of course, for the right to live. To survive. To rise in this cosmos where strength meant everything. Across the countless dead worlds that have been pulled into the Depths' embrace, across a trillion bled stars and hundreds of devoured realities they raged.

 

They clashed for all their might was worth, bringing ruin wherever they landed. Within the Heavens, across the Infernal Planes. Submerged in the Deep, and lost within the vast Void of the Cosmos. They battled everywhere, taking with them countless civilizations.

 

The False King Uxaes. Slayer of Alsana the Allseer, Queen of innumerable fates. An Elder hundreds of millions of years old

 

And the young Butcher. Rising terror of the Depths. A legend in the making. A lesser Depthborn, hardly an era in age, yet one who roared with indomitable spirit.

 

Two terrible combatants, the likes of which had not been seen since the early dawning of creation. Dual Calamities that defied the rules of the cosmos, the Tyrants who governed all, and those who fell underneath their sovereignty. They were abominations both, an insult to all that existed, and they tore into each other with wild abandon.

 

While true that the whole of the Depths raged, it was the battle between two abnormalities that shook the foundation of the reviled kingdom. While some clashes were lesser, and others greater, the fate of all in the Deep Wastes hinged on the conclusion of this one conflict. It all ultimately culminated within the Usurper King's own throne room. A self-made cavern within the Dark that was closed off from the whole of everything, so that any attempt upon Uxaes's life would be seen coming from one singular opening. Of course, in this war their attention had been subverted, taken away from their throne, and turned into a vulnerability.

 

One the Mako Warrior gladly exploited until finally, through the King's own folly of overreliance on the venom that was the Archfiend's stolen creations, the False King fell.

 

Ripped in two by the Butcher, though she in turn was brought to Death's door for her efforts. Her battle was by no means a simple one. More arduous than facing an army a million strong. But it was done, and though her body was ruined the False King had fallen first. A glorious if not pyrrhic victory.

 

Uxaes called out into the dark expanse of his warring kingdom, ordering aid. He threatened and demanded all hear his cry and respond; accordingly, serving through obedience fit for a king. Silence was his sole answer.

 

No whelp would heed the call. They were too engrossed in the carnage they grew fat on.

 

No Elder or Ancient would rise to the occasion, choosing instead to walk the nomadic path at this war's end. 

 

Not even the Primal ones would come to the fallen masters' side. Only twelve remained of the expansive conflict, and none wished to serve a fool any longer. Already, five had chosen his successor. This reign was at its end. A new one was sparking.

 

The only one who had in fact arrived did so of their own volition, and only just to watch what little life remained of the dying king fade away. The Archfiend herself, having witnessed and waited for this moment while her home tore itself to shreds. She watched from within the physical darkness abundant in the kingdom most reviled, observing as the grand battle between two Calamities progressed, slowly biding her time for the right moment to properly reveal herself.

 

There was no need for her to fight. Getting directly involved would have proven troublesome, and the Butcher needed to complete this fight on her own. Only through her victory would the Depths begin the process towards gradual restoration. Her home would heal in time. 


The Depths always did. 


Ever adapting, as was its sole purpose. But to do so freely, it needed a new master on the throne. A more worthy hand to guide the needed cultivation of the unfathomable, countless beasts which roamed endless caverns and tears. Not some raving beast, but a calm mind coupled with a powerful body.

 

The Fallen King Uxaes took just one look upon the Primordial and knew what it was that those who survived him had in mind. What their plans and intentions were. The usurpation of his throne for one of the Deep's eldest souls.

 

"Traitor", the vile king spoke through bloodied breath. "Blasphemer!"

 

He cursed not just Cathay's name but all those who ignored his call. Though it was the Archfiend that had plotted and waited for this moment to strike, in the eyes of the dying Ruler all who chose against his side were sniveling cowards.

 

Damning them with what remained of his life, the false king Uxaes dragged themselves forward with what little was left of their arms and strength. Ancient chitin was broken, old bones had been snapped. Flesh was torn out in chunks, and even with treatment of some form survival from damage of this degree was not a guarantee. Even so, the dying Lord wished for nothing more than to drill their claws through their betrayer's eyes. Every single one of the remaining twelve deserved death, and they swore to be the one to deliver their final rest. 

 

"I am… the only GOD!" 


They were so much younger than herself, yet when Cathay looked into the eyes of Uxaes she saw only the nauseating belief of their own superiority. That she was a lesser creature in comparison to them.

 

It was fitting then that this belief be among the upended King’s last thoughts… as they soon found their head pierced clean through.

 

"No. You're really not." 


The Archfiend's tail tore the vile dome that was this Upstart's skull before splitting it down like the two halves of some rotten fruit. In doing so the short but bloodied reign of the False King Uxaes came to an end. While the kill would still be credited to the young Butcher, her effort being a product no one else could replicate, the true killing blow was Cathay's. The truth would be hidden, perhaps in the hope of propelling the Mako's name to the status of legends, though in likelihood very few might care for how Uxaes was slain. 


It was no secret that the deceased King was unloved, and so long as their name was forgotten none but the most prideful, or delusional, of the Deep Wastes would truly care for their passing.

 

Cathay lamented the loss of her tablet's original purpose. Far more than she lamented the state her 'ally' was in. Seeing how they had been turned away from their original intentions, refashioned into something she had not wished; the Primordial grew disgusted to see the state they were in now. All three tablets had been reshaped into armaments most foul.

 

A tome of ever inspiring sheets. Serving as a gateway to creation's deepest of magics, no single page would contain the same information again. All things could be found into its bindings, yet all things could be lost as well. it was a reliquary of nigh-endless insight to those able to plunge its depths..

 

A cudgel formed from the stones of ruin, as well as the skulls of those who thought to stand against the False King. Or even the remains of their far too few allies. A diabolical maw that spared no one; the wounds made through such a weapon would be enough to harm even a Primordial. Mayhaps even a Ruler.

 

And lastly, a charm which concealed the eyes of the all-seeing. The ultimate disguise against the omniscient; none would be able to discern the existence of one who brandished such a trinket. A coward's favored instrument.

 

All three artifacts of sorrow, forged from slabs made for domination, had been used against the Mako warrior in the hopes of gaining victory over them. A useless struggle, they availed their wielder nothing but a slow demise against the young Calamity. Still, to see them now and understand the new yet frightening powers behind them was an insult to Cathay's own achievements.

 

If able to, she would reshape them again in the future. Possibly hide them away across creation to keep such events from transpiring again. But nothing she did would do away with the knowledge that one built upon creations of her own design… and improved what she had made.

 

Though the false King was despised, some praise was deserved. Old as she is, Cathay would not have risked turning her slabs into weapons. Too noticeable, easily countered by the right opponent, as Uxaes learned, and far more likely to place a target upon one's back. 


The dead King's bold stupidity was impressive, all things considered.

 

In the end though the deed was done. Uxaes was no more, and Cathay could breathe a sigh of relief. Whatever danger she may have found herself in prior to this grand demise had passed. Her fellow primals, five allies in total, had kept the greater expanse of the Deep preoccupied, and with their brood-kin they slaughtered any who might be loyal to the False Ruler. Of course, many of their kind had died in this blasted civil war, the Depths strongest among those numbers, and though none who allied themselves with the Archfiend perished, the conclusion of this short conflict ended in the near extinction of some of creations' oldest entities. Any longer and the Depths could have very well lost those who stood at the epoch of strength since before the concept of time.

 

But again, they would grow from this setback. The Depths would rise again, just as it always does. Run from it. Hide from it. Evolution advances through gnashing teeth and blood stained fields. The Deep would never fall so long as its Kings and Queens remained. It was an inevitability engraved into the very foundation of totality

 

The only force which might threaten the kingdom most reviled would be those who defied the very laws of the cosmos. A Calamity in the flesh. Which meant… that left only the young Butcher and the danger she presented for Cathay to deal with.

 

The Archfiend turned away from what was the still fresh corpse of the former Lord of the Deep, facing the Mako warrior as they struggled to breathe; their own blood filling their gills and lungs. 


"What, oh what, shall I do with you?" She wondered aloud. "You're but a few minutes away from death, my Dear." The Butcher's body was in almost as bad a state as her foe. Nearly ripped in half, they lay convulsing within the chamber that was the dead King's throne room. A macabre trophy chamber that was lined with the bodies of those who had stood defiant, now only moments away from having two more bodies added to its mounds of flesh.

 

Logically, the young Warrior should be eradicated. Killed and left to rot here, waiting for any other beast to arrive and feast upon their decayed flesh. Her very existence was an incredible danger after all. That nature of a Calamity was far too risky a trait to leave alive in the cosmos. Far too troublesome for even the Deep Wastes' liking.

 

And yet… without her, that very domain would have torn itself apart in its entirety. Forgotten like so many kingdoms that had risen and fallen along the axis of time. Nothing would have remained of the Depths without her. And to make matters worse…

 

Even in their bloodied, bruised, and gore ridden state, Cathay still found them to be wonderfully appealing to her tastes. Somehow, the blue blood of the Elder Ruler had added to the lovely complexion of the Mako's already cyan hair. It shined brightly, pairing lovingly with their magenta eyes. They were beautiful. Now more than the centuries prior when the two first met.

 

Time in which the two had grown remarkably close.

 

Close enough that, unintentionally or not, the Archfiend had developed affection which itself was originally born out of trust.

 

They… talked. Spoke as equals when Cathay even spoke down to her own kin. This young-blooded Depthborn did not care for their respective stations. The vast distances and differences between their strengths. 


It was enjoyable. To a point where the Archfiend looked forward to when she could next converse with her… 'friend'. Even now it was a strange thing to admit.

 

The two were companions. More than allies. And perhaps in time they might even be more than that. She could only hope as such. Were the Mako to die now, she'd be deprived of that possibility.

 

They were a very real threat. An abnormality in the cosmos that could grow at an unprecedented rate if left unchecked. Perhaps capable of growing into a force more formidable than Uxaes.

 

The only smart choice would be to end their life here and now, yet Cathay chose otherwise.

 

Kneeling before the Butcher's broken body, at a height similar to their own, she presented them with the green skin of her underarm.

 

"Feed," the Archfiend ordered. "Let my flesh heal you."

 

She knew she would regret this in time. There would be words received from not just the Primordials but also from those who held sizable power in other domains.

 

Under normal circumstances, the blood of Cathay proved too volatile a force for even Ancient Depthborn to mutate from. A result of her many faulty mutations from a life long lived. It always ended in horribly painful deaths, or fates far worse than even that, and while much of the other Primals had no issue creating broods derived from offering their own blood to lesser creature's, Cathay had nothing of the sort.

 

Just this once she wished for something similar. Even if it was just one being. Through her own concentration, and paired with the Butcher's abnormal nature, she hoped her blood would not end in the death of another soul. Especially one she never expected to cherish. 

 

Unsurprisingly, the Mako warrior fought on even when at death's door, allowing the Primordials' blood to course through her body, healing her but also serving to keep away any life-threatening mutations. While the 'infusion' wouldn't be perfect, or even allow the young Mako to evolve from this, it would give Cathay the needed time to piece their body back together.

 

A strenuous process no doubt, but thankfully one she could commit to without interruption. 

 

"You will survive this, Gilah," Cathay promised as the warrior fed upon the godly Depthborns' flesh. Their eyes were closed shut, either from pain, exhaustion, or a mixture of both. That said, from the corner of Her eyes Cathay could see the Warrior smile through whatever agony was felt. She was glad to have someone look out for them. It was a heartwarming feeling to be relied upon. Something the Archfiend was unfamiliar with.

 

It felt… good.

 

"You've got much to live for my Friend. I will stay with you for as long as I am needed. Even longer than that should you wish for it."

 

Gilah smiled wider, opening her eyes slightly to meet the grinning Primal. Cathay could have sworn that she heard the gurgle of a chuckle leave the Leviathan's throat as they closed their eyes once more to rest.

 

Of course, the decision to save a Calamity's life wouldn't go well with Cathay's allies. Future matters needed her utmost attention, and the Primal One's would not take such a distraction with ease. They wished the Butcher dead, and were it not for Cathay they would have killed her at the first available chance.

 

That said, they had no ground to stand on in denying the Archfiend. Her strength was greater, her voice louder. Her words carried far greater weight than anything her kin might have to say. If she wished Gilah alive, then there was nothing the other Primordials could do to sway their strongest.

 

Whatever grievances they had would be pushed aside. Such things were necessary. It was Cathay after all who they deemed the worthiest to succeed the foul Uxaes.

 

As such, the eldest of the Depths had no choice but to lend her their ear, fall to her words. Such were the wishes of their Queen to be. 

 

***


When had these kings and queens of the Deep last gathered, Cathay wondered. Tens of thousands of years prior to her ascension. A converging of minds to plot against the dread Uxaes, scheming his downfall; but after that the Ruler could not say. She was content with just leaving these Primordial beings alone, allowing them to do as they pleased so long as they didn't make her life any more difficult. 


It was better this way after all. Being second in power only to the cosmos' vaunted Rulers, the scope of a Primal's influence was something to rightly fear. Alone, a single soul was a threat to a plane of existence in its entirety. Gradual destruction on a scale that could not be prevented by any but the most powerful, the most influential of strength. Coupled with the strength of their brood, their kin, and their domain as a whole, there was no force in the Multiverse which could hold back the tide of devastation that would surely follow.


It was pure relief that any and all Primals wished only to be left to their own devices, which itself normally revolved around their near endless slumber. Few among the surviving twelve ever proved active enough to be worthy of concern, and those who were knew better than to cross their Queen. The five present, titans all in their own right, understood this. While some still struggled to rouse themselves of their thousand years long sleep, others no doubt waited with bated breath over what they had been summoned for. 


From the time she took the throne of the Depths, to this very meeting, this would be their first official gathering since Cathay assumed the mantle of Ruler. 


Curiosity was prevalent. Intrigue over what could have invoked such a summoning. The Primal’s would mark this down as the first true test of their Majesty's station no doubt. Something she’s put off for a long time.  


Cathay surveyed the land before her, taking it in with a great sense of satisfaction. It had been too long since she's last been here. Deep within the Dreaming City, or what remained of it to be precise. From the once great ivory trees that tried to bind her, to the toppled towers which contained the plotted potential of creatures big and small. Even the remains of many a silver tinted colossus remained, along with the battered corpses of countless Depthborn.


We're Cathay to close her eyes she could almost picture it. That day she laid low the chiefest of Rulers. The moment the cosmos learned the terror that was the Archfiend, the Deep Drake, the one true Ruler of the Depths. The proverbial cherry on top was that in this moment, as Cathay reminisced on history older than most gods, she did so from the very hand of her old adversary. The petrified, unmoving corpse of Lubaeron himself. Posed in death, reaching towards a star-less sky; his hand serving as a colossal throne for his murderer. 


Cathay sat on it as she would some seat, her legs dangling off the edges of her dead foe's palm. She had only grown enough to where she could sit comfortably, a few hundred feet in height perhaps, nowhere near her full scale. It was not needed, and from her vantage point upon Lubaeron's corpse she was still more than able to look down at her kin as they took shape upon arrival. Unlike herself, the other Primals needed their time to assume their forms. Or at least those who didn't have some favored structure. Something which they could ‘default to’, like Cathay. Being asleep for so long, some often forget the uses of certain biological features. 


And other times, they remembered only the appendages which served to make the most noise. A loud entrance if you would.


A thunderous crash raged out across the ruins of the Dreaming City, shaking the infinite expanse as a lone spine covered tendril seemingly miles in length collided into the earth at an equally as long distance away. The tendril stretched off into the expanse before rising towards the sky, trailing until it reached the body of its host who themself seemed to extend ever upward into the firmament above. 


An ungodly abomination. Some impossibly long serpent that coiled endlessly into itself as well as around the ruins of the city; never growing tangled no matter how often it stirred. From Cathay's perch she could recognize the sight that would defy all notions of logic; a living creature that by itself could be considered its own ecosystem. A leviathan of planetary length, and yet still restrained in size. It was good they chose to spawn so far away from Cathay's perch on top of Lubaeron's palm. It would be hard to focus were they only a few comparative steps away. That said, the sight of the titan was certainly hard to ignore even from where she sat.


Across the whole length of the Primal's body were innumerable spikes covered tendrils that slithered without end, grasping equally sharp spurs of black bone that covered the entire width of the leviathan's form. As the beast rose, so too did its head. An ever burning maw shielded behind two mountain shattering tusks longer than their skull was wide. 


Truly a great being of matter. A terror older than time, just as the rest of the Primordials were, though this one in particular was old even among the rest. Almost as old as Cathay. Through its outward appearance one could rightfully reveal the beast's naturally destructive nature, to look into their pale eyes would be subjecting yourself to calm rationality. A thinking mind, brilliant in many ways. As were the qualities of Rathmas, The Great Sunderer. 


The Leviathan reared its impossibly long body up so high that it seemed at any moment they might break through the reality shackling confines of the fallen Kingdom of Dreams. Instead, they opened their maw and extended their pincers outwards as they… yawned?


"My… bones ache…", Rathmas complained, followed by a long winded exhale. "I dreamed of worlds flourishing, and empires falling. It was… enjoyable". The pattern of their speech was slow, methodical, and their voice was deep enough to shake the domain in its entirety again. A shred of the manifold, infinite in width and length. It proved of little trouble to Rathmas. That said, not once did it threaten to destroy that which remained. The Old Primordial knew how to control their destructive might. A pleasantry really, as none in the cosmos possessed a roar as fierce as theirs, who with a single call is said to be capable of wiping out a dozen galaxies. "I hope… the Ruler has fair reason to summon us." Though the level of their voice was tempered, that did nothing to stop Cathay's perch from shaking so much. To a point near nauseousness. She sat firmly, using summoned wings to anchor herself to the petrified flesh of her old foe. 


"I would like to return to my slumber." Rathmas noted


Old Rathmas, like all of Cathay's court, had shown their loyalty through acceptance of the Archfiend's rule. They acknowledged her strength as greater than any others, and as such were loyal to a point of absolution. Power dictated much, though Cathay demonstrated more than reliance on that quality alone. Rathmas respected that.


They are a worthy ally to have, one Cathay would wish to keep on her side for millennia to come. 


Seeing their Ruler even through the vast distance between the two of them, and immediately noticing how their perch on top of a corpse placed them at a position lower than their planetary self, Rathmas hastily lowered their body into the ruins of the city, flattened anything beneath his form as he bowed to the best of his abilities. At once, any shifting seen across the expanse that was his shape came to a halt, their whole being geared towards subserving to their master. 


An appreciated gesture, one that earned a smile from Cathay. Unfortunately it was quickly interrupted as a chuckle turned both Primordials' attention away from their desire to move things along, and for a brief moment aggression was strewn across the Old Serpent's face. Rathmas' spines grew larger in size; sharper as another kin made their appearance known.


"Calm, Old One. Patience," A voice whispered out from above the City. From the firmament tore free a burning streak of cobalt flame. A shining star that quickly dispersed the energy which surrounded it, revealing what looked to be muted scales. These plates of apparent armor, a carapace, steamed from the intense heat that surrounded them not long ago, and was only dispelled when two wings sprouted from the back of the falling entity. "Our Majesty has need of our ears. We as servants are inclined to listen. And obey."


As their body continued to unfurl it became clear that this voice was heard everywhere, not through sound but by thought. Vocalization mentally projected by some saurian monstrosity. A creature that may at first be mistaken for a dragon of great worth, but in truth was anything but. Though wings did sprout from the Horror's back, and in the dark they may possess the silhouette of a dragon, there was hardly any ounce of majesty to be seen in the terrifying visage of Noxris, the Plague Bearing Wyrm. What was mistaken for scales was in truth pale white chitin. A tough colorless outer shell, an exoskeleton, that defended even sturdier internals. Despite the heft of this external armor however, the False Dragon's saurian body was gaunt. Seemingly malnourished and lacking areas of flesh. They even lacked a lower half, seemingly forced to crawl on their belly like some louse, though this bothered the beast little.

Such an apparent disregard for outward health did not impede Noxris. If anything, it was hardly a bother. This was the form they had possessed for a millenia. It suited them well, they thought, and as such they had no trouble moving with it, flying down and coming to a perch upon an ivory tree a vast distance away from the still growling Rathmas. Noxris placed themselves opposite of their master, who herself waited patiently several hundreds of meters beyond the Dragon's reach. 


Despite the distance between all present, their sight of one another never faltered. They knew where their kin was at all times. 


To demonstrate this, Noxris reared up from their perch on the tree, the only portion of their lower half able to aid them in this being their numerous barbed tails, all of which wrapped around the ivory structure. They extended their pale, flesh-like wings outward as they faced their master, basking in the glow of her radiance. 


A sign of respect among dragonkind. 


Though Noxris possessed no visible facial features on their rigid, cylindrical dome of a head other than their mouth, the Primal had no trouble looking at their Queen. If anything, their blindness allowed them to see her true self. The god that hid behind mammalian flesh. Even at such a fair distance away their sight was greater than any other creature.


“My Queen. It is ever a pleasure to make your acquaintance~.”



A charmer this one, and like Rathmas a calculating mind. It was no coincidence the two arrived close to one another. In the ancient past these Primals in particular found themselves often butting heads, fighting for territory, or scheming against the other's wishes. They were rivals older than time, and though this alliance that was Cathay’s council kept their teeth from each other's throats there was still clear animosity demonstrated. One sided though it may be. 


Rathmas was larger. Far more so than their smaller kin. And yet Noxris wasn't taken aback by the sheer difference in scale. Though a mite by comparison they were not deterred, not even a little bit. They did not need sight to see the length of Rathmas' form, and though the form the Sunderer assumed was fit to coil around a planet, the False Dragon by comparison was lesser than even the like of most whelps. 


Hardly more than a few hundred meters compared to Rathmas' millions. That said, Noxris's rivaling power was more than seen as through their touch alone the ivory tree they rested upon blackened and changed. Its form altered the longer the Wyrm rested on top of it, mutating, gestating, turning it into something far from the beauty it once encapsulated. Silver branches turned black and grew the same chitinous growths which dotted the Plague-Wyrm's body, all the while a pus-like ooze slowly seeped from the 'bark'. 


"Vile creature." Rathmas insulted as he raised his voice. The city shook as a result, cracks forming in ancient streets. Their pale eyes were locked onto their ancient rival, or more precisely the effects of their presence. "Mutater! Plague on the Depths! How our Ruler thought you would be suitable for a seat at her table boggles the mind!


The elder Primal inhaled deeply as they worked to ease their anger. Tearing their jaws into the Dreaming City's crust, they ripped free untold tons of stone before crushing it between their great many teeths. A territorial display and nothing more. 


"Of all our dreaming brothers and sisters, you should have been the first to fall, Defiler!"


Noxris turned from their master to face their old nemesis, their wings remaining unfurled though now in a territorial display to match Rathmas’s. Cobalt flames built within their chest before rising to rest inside their jaws. The mutations which spread from their mere appearance hastened, reaching beyond the ivory tree and towards the Sunderer. It did not make it far, as with a tendril the massive leviathan slammed down upon the corruption, shattering its progress. 


The Corruptor remained unmoving. "Bold, aren't we? To challenge my survival so hastily, when you yourself subsisted on our kindreds' flesh like some scavenger." With a brief expulsion of their flame, and flap of their wings, the blue fire peppered the soil beneath the dragon. From it rose pale abominations. Wingless terrors that mirrored their creators' appearance, though possessing legs with which they skittered on. Though small in size, nearly humanoid, from that small amount of flame several thousands were able to form before flooding the ruins of the city. "If you've an issue with my continued existence, then I implore you to remedy it. That is… unless the Sunderer is afraid…"


As expected, the bickering had begun. From her position atop Lubaeron’s stone palm, Cathay rested her head within her palm. 


Sitting cross legged, she could only wait as the two imbeciles pushed through their argument. It would no doubt take some time for their insults to pass. Very rarely did these confrontations turn violent, and when they did she was among the few quick to stop them. Even before taking her throne, Cathay's power was more than enough to put an end to stubborn buffoons. It would serve no one even then if her supposed allies tore themselves apart before swearing their allegiance. 


That said, the control she possessed over her own court would be drawn into question were this allowed to continue. As things stood in the present, and with her reputation across the cosmos, this would not serve as a good image for Cathay. Regardless of the likelihood of whether this might turn violent or not, any conflict was something Cathay wasn't going to risk.  


"Both of you, stop your-"


But Cathay didn't manage to get much out as, to her shock and surprise, a faint ringing assaulted her ears. Nothing too painful, the shrill tone hardly being registered by her kin. But to one such as the Archfiend it was hard to miss. What might be passed off as some function of this mammalian body of hers was not seen as such. Though barely perceivable, this ringing would not fade should it be ignored. It persisted. Long enough for Cathay to understand that it was unnatural. 


She was being targeted. Watched from afar. A spell perhaps, or something more? She wasn’t certain.


And that alone was concerning, as to make matters stranger she couldn't see who it was that would be so bold as to eavesdrop on her. She could not reach out and pluck them from whatever delusional safety they believed themselves hidden behind. The only beings capable of that were Rulers of a level of power similar to her own. 


Or those that brandished her old Tablets of Ruin. Concerning, and something she can't ignore. 


Her attention returning to the two bickering Primals, Cathay realized she needed to halt their tedious squabbles, lest they say something they shouldn't in this meeting of minds. 


"QUIET!!!" The Archfiend's voice rang out with ferocity that quickly forced both Primordials to cease their antics and bow. Not out of fear but unquestionable respect and loyalty. 


Cathay's power was unneeded for a demonstration of control. Both beings knew not to test their Majesty's patience, even at this infinitesimal size of her current shape. Her form shifted all the same though. Unintentionally, Cathay's human guise faltered. A result of her rising annoyance. She lost control, though thankfully she did not grow, and thus did not do away with the clothing her beloved girlfriend had gotten for her. Her skin and hair however reverted back to the same coloration she had possessed prior to living on Earth. Sickly green, and raven black locks. 


Paired with her radiating, molten eyes and it seemed the Archfiend had never even left the Depths.


"You will both be quiet," Cathay commanded as her own wings began to unfurl. Darkness enveloped the domain as all light drained away. In its place were the all too familiar maddening red eyes of those who earned the ire of the Archfiend. The gaze of countless mad beasts, reflections of the Archfiend's past selves that now threatened to consume Noxris and Rathmas. "If the two of you wish to fight, let it be against me. Then, as you find yourselves piecing together pieces of your own bodies, understand that I don't tolerate ineptitude from the Depths eldest. You are gods of the Deep. Both of you! Act like it!" 


Her words were felt, her commands heeded. One warning, that was all they would be allowed. Anymore and the two Primals would find themselves on thin ice. 


"Our infinite apologies, your Highness." Rathmas said, their head lowered once again until they were certain it was below Cathay's seat of power. 


"We forgot ourselves. Our place." Noxris noted, their wings coiled around their body as though to shield themselves from their Queen's irritation. "It will not happen again."


Somehow, Cathay highly doubted that. Even old Zathas and the All-seer Alsana were unable to end this rivalry of theirs. So long as they stopped for the time being however, where prying eyes and ears watched and listened, it shouldn't matter what they did in the future. As long as things ran smoothly from here on out, Cathay didn't care. 


Or as smoothly as things could while some Primals still remained absent. 


"Good," Cathay rubbed the temple of her forehead, already feeling a headache forming. "Save your insufferable natures for afterwards, when I've said what needs to be said. My mood is already sour as is. For both your sakes pray you're not the ones who make it worse."


Though her plan was to wait patiently and in silence, as if on cue, and only serving to annoy her further, a tear tore through the darkened expanse that once was the sky above the ruined city. A passage into the greater unknown of the cosmos. A signal of the arrival of two more Primordials.


The Archfiend clicked her tongue in annoyance. "Nevermind…"


Fresh from the heels of two annoyances, now faced to contend with two more. At least this time they were those of a quieter variety. 


The first, or rather third, to arrive was of a strange sort. Even by Depth standards, the Primal was out of place; a planetary sphere. A moon barren of anything beyond the ordinary, visible even through Cathay's summoned darkness. It gleamed a dull green light, ever perceivable even in the darkest of nights. While dimmer than suns and stars, somehow this planetary body continued to shine on. In the corner of your eyes, just on the outer edge of your vision, it would always remain. Endlessly, eternal, the Mad Moon saw you even if you chose to ignore it. 


Obviously, due to the scope of their size, it rested far beyond the confines of the city, waiting within the void above. Any closer, and the gravity of the ruined city might find itself upended. Confused at first as to what she was seeing, it wasn't until the moon's surface began to crack did Cathay realize what was happening. She smiled as a result. 


A singular fissure formed across the sphere's surface, drawing the attention of those Primals who might witness this arrival. From this tear across the astronomical body, a green glow emanated within revealing rows upon rows of sharp, jagged teeth. The planet wide maw salivated endlessly, streaming below itself without intention. An unconscious action that only arose due to this Primal's inexperience when housed within a physical form. 


And what a dull form it was, though Cathay expected little else from Mahoon, the Voidbane. While as old herself, the Devourer of Destroyers was far less… creative in the shapes they assumed. Now more than ever as they had long since transcended the need for a physical body, and while capable of inhabiting a form it was usually through the possession of worlds. The quiet Primordial often preferred existing only as a whisper. To them that was their purpose. Existing without a body, without limit and worry, ever present in the minds of all those their formless expanse overshadowed. 


In the heyday of their terror, Mahoon was a name nearly as feared as Cathay’s. The Mad Hue as some might call him, as those who earned his ire only ever saw a light of emerald green before being devoured. Over the eons however, they became the first to retire to dormancy after doing away with their flesh. 


It was an earned respite. Were there a being worthy of succeeding the throne of the Deep besides Cathay herself, in the past it most certainly would have been the Voidbane. Now, they preferred the quiet serenity of their existence. That said, when the Old One chose to move against obstreperous forces of the cosmos, only Hell could be expected for those caught in their waking devastation. 


Technically, Cathay would consider Mahoon the most indolent of her court. The one who took joy in their dreams the most. Even when active they rarely spoke beyond more than a single word. She’d be amazed if they said anything in this meeting.


The Archfiend wasn't even sure she could say the same for their fellow arrival, N'ryda. The one who had arrived alongside Mahoon, and perhaps the most harmless of the Primals, though for reasons far from an altruistic nature. Appearing before their Ruler, Cathay was cast in the shadow of one so much like herself; titanic and otherworldly. The silent Primordial stood patiently, resting on her side, giving Cathay the chance to see what so many had likely seen of herself before.


A titan.


N’ryad was large, as is about par with the elders of the Deep, though still smaller than the likes of even the Plague-Wyrm. Clad in dark robes and numerous golden adornments, few have seen the face of the Depths own Pale Lady. Now Cathay was one of the few allowed the chance to look beneath the hood of their cloak. A beauty to be sure, pale as death itself but possessing lovely, if not unkempt, locks of golden hair. 


There was no light in their eyes, no sense of life, but the Archfiend knew them to be breathing. She could feel it, in the minute twitches of each one of the Pale Lady’s four arms. In her fingers, at her wrists, her whole musculature was alive, though Cathay didn’t know when last they had moved of their own volition. Most of all though, she could feel it in N’ryad’s breath. Being so close to her, at such an infinitesimal size, meant that each breath the dark goddess took was threatening to pull their Ruler in with simple inhalations through their nose and mouth. Were it not for anchoring her wings down prior, Cathay may have very well been sucked in. 


A strange thought. One she would have to look to Valerie to… explore. 


It was not their intention to be so close to the statuesque hand that held the Queen of the Deep, but their actions could not be helped. N’ryad, for all intents and purposes, was brain dead. A mindless, beautiful idiot that hadn’t held a thought for herself for as long as she’s lived. Despite their quiet disposition, they were only a being of power. Raw, untapped, and furious when provoked; rare though it may be. Such strength had earned them many titles, though chief among them was the insulting and strange moniker as the Puppeteered Goddess. A curious namesake to those that did not know her story. 


Behind N’ryad, resting on the Goddess’s back, was an oddity of a creature. A green, slimy mass of tendrils and eyes that coiled and gripped itself around its Lady’s limbs. When it moved she moved. When she needed to breathe, it allowed her to do so. The creature helped her, guided her attention and thoughts. 


While at first glance the oddity may seem some sort of a puppet master, the truth of the matter was that in many ways this creature was N’ryads’ provider. Her caretaker. Without it she was mindless. Mute and blind, little more than a mass of power that needed to be controlled. Together, through cooperation, they possessed something reminiscent of a partnership. The creature served as the sole true progeny of their master, their literal mind, and posed no danger to their well-being. A blessing, as without them there’d be nothing to defend the Piloted Mistress from danger; nor anything to hold her back when retaliation against such foolishness arose. 


Cathay couldn’t recall when last the Silent Lady possessed a thought that was her own and wasn’t just spurned by their little pet. She could not recall when they had lost their mind, only for it to move onto her back as some newer entity. Whatever events may have happened, of the twelve they were the only Primal which had their master’s pity. 


At the very least their creature provider was of the wise sort. Not much of a talker, but then that didn’t much bother the rest. They allowed their actions to prove their worth, and their Lordship’s strength to finalize any goals. They were trustworthy. Enough that they had been allowed a seat at the proverbial table. To even be so close to their Ruler, when the rest made sure to place themselves beneath her, was a sign of such trust. 


The mindful creature moved the body of its mistress, guiding her until she had shimmied her way across their queen. Nearly as large as Lubaeron’s petrified form, anything beneath the Silent Goddess’s stride was quickly crushed. Steamrolled beneath thighs, arms, and legs as she was moved forward to a more respectable distance. A placement that wouldn’t endanger their Ruler. 


The destruction extended to those of Noxris’s spawn. They were neither registered nor cared for as they were crushed beneath soft flesh, and as N’ryads’ hand was placed onto the ground to prop herself upright a hundred more were flattened. The Plague-Wyrm would not call out such disregard for his brood. They too pitied the state of their fellow royal. 


With the arrival of Mahoon and N’ryad, the previous bickering of Noxris and Rathmas had died down completely. When it was just themselves they could continue on for centuries at a time, but when cast in the shadow and sights of their kin they understood the need to be more presentable. Respectful of the time they had taken to arrive here. It was no easy feat for N’ryads’ pet to drag her here, nor was it likely pleasant for Mahoon to situate themselves in a physical body. Any distractions from what was important was an insult to the both of them. 


Smiling, Cathay was pleased to see her court finally settling. Four of the five who had allied themselves with her, leaving just one behind. And if the truth were to be spoken, the last one wasn’t a dire necessity.


In all honesty, the longer they were absent the better. Of the five, it was the last which caused the hair on Cathay's neck to stand straight. Not to say they were untrustworthy, all of the five knew who to bend their knees to. But of the five, the One which disturbed even the Archfiend was an entity many chose to give a wide berth. 


Unwilling to risk their sudden arrival, and not wanting to give this meeting’s silent observer any more time to process what they were seeing, Cathay tapped a finger against the giant palm she sat on. Low it first, the repeated tapping grew in volume until all present heard it. 


“I suppose now is as good a time as any...” Cathay explained as she addressed her court. “For us to continue forward here on-” 



Once again she was interrupted, by both the ringing of the unseen onlooker and the silent presence of another; one hidden in the flesh of the dead Ruler. Despite cursing under breath, Cathay’s smile didn’t falter. Instead, she found herself chuckling. 


Of course things were never simple in her kingdom. Were they, another would have taken the throne in her place. Still, Cathay wished for her kin to at least give her the benefit of doing as she had planned before making their presence known. While no true issue as the matter at hand had still yet to be discussed, such interruptions didn’t serve her growing head pain. 


“On second thought, how about we disrupt what I'm saying? Does that sound enticing, Mother Mergo?" Annoyed, Cathay turned to one of Lubaeron’s fingers as a figure began to pull itself from the hardened flesh of the dead King. Humanoid and feminine; a recent development as last Cathay had seen her they were anything but. As they stepped through pulsating meat, it was clear to see the borderline righteous robes which adorned the fair skin of one seemingly most holy. Or rather unholy in this instance, as the history of this last Primordial was as bloodied as their repertoire of skills. They stitched together their body, piecing ligaments, muscles, and bone, forming them alongside religious cloth that symbolized their faith. A twisted combination of Daemon and Angelic beliefs, molded together to form something unsettling to an outside perspective. 


The process was quick and skilled, the Unholy Matron being the foremost manipulator of flesh within the Depths. Perhaps the Multiverse as a whole as well. Mergo was there at the beginning of conception after all. She saw when form first became bound to flesh and bone. It intrigued her. To the point where she learned how best to use it. Often it changed her outward appearance, turning the soft spoken being into something normally monstrous. Strangely caring, yet grotesque all the same.


Cathay did not see that here


Stepping through completely, what Cathay was met with now was a knife-eared beauty taller than herself; curvaceous and beautiful yet possessing the same terrifying presence as her primal brothers and sisters. There was not an ounce of rot on their body. No gore or blood that marked their arrival. Still, Mergo reeked of decay. Of endless death. A cancerous flood. 


A motherly figure that smiled as her body settled in, flesh and cloth coming together finely. 


“On second thought, you never cared much for the authority of one’s position, did you?” Cathay asked. “Always doing as you wish, seeing any opportunity to expand the reach of your flock. Your sheep.” 


Though Mergo stood above her Queen it did not matter. Of the five, a Ruler’s authority mattered little to the aptly named Mother of the Lost. Matron of Decay, and Heart of Malice. In her mind there were more important matters in the cosmos than falling underneath a Lord’s thumb. 


Still, their Queen’s call was heard and thus needed to be answered, if only just to satiate curiosity. 


“Would you not do the same, Archfiend? If only to see those who rely upon you safe and secured? Happy knowing all they’ll ever want can be found in the embrace of the strong.” Mergo explained, her smile steadfast. “Or rather… my embrace. For who in our Kingdom is more caring than I?” 


Cathay could name a fair few that fit that description more than Mergo. But still, she was closer to the mark then she may have realized. That desire to protect those weaker than yourself.


Or perhaps she did understand, quickly reducing the purpose behind this seemingly sudden meeting. Either case was enough to concern Cathay. 


Mergo always was one to quickly learn intentions. 


“My children are lost without the mercy I can grant them. As are all the weak ones of the Manifold. So I ask, what matters are greater than the security of my little lambs?”

In a flash, Mergo was gone. Vanished into the hardened skin below only to appear behind Cathay. Though their movement was seen and felt by the Archfiend, her actions were allowed. Even as the Mother of the Lost placed her hand upon Her Majesty’s shoulder, her blue tipped fingers being the only thing which Cathay cared to look at, such proximity to the strongest of the Depths was granted. 


Nothing would be gained were Cathay to lash out against Mergo for just being too close, even if the hairs on her neck stood on end. The rest of the Primals remained uneasy, watching carefully for their Ruler’s reaction. Each one of them were ready to restrain the Unholy Matron should they be given the single order. 


Of the five Primals, the title of Ruler was not something that swayed Mergo. Her self imposed duties were of greater importance to her, a result of the bodies which she dined on so often in the past. She had developed what for the longest time was the most affectionate nature within the Deep. Not necessarily altruism, but rather love. Pure, unrestrained and uninhibited by morality. Misshapen, mutated, much like all things in the Deep. 


She had consumed the flesh of angels and demons, gods and devils, taking into herself the mentality and might of both. It all coalesced into the eventual viewing of herself as a religious figure. The singular most righteous entity in the Kingdom most Reviled, and though many Depthborn cared little for matters of faith and religion, that did not stop Mergo from spreading her influence across the cosmos. Even if the corners of creation she visited were unwilling to hear her words.


She offered a place for the lost ones. Those who had no home, no path forward in life. The self destructive, the delusional, the mad. She held open arms for all willing to hear her call of love. 


Mergo cared for her followers, her children. Truly she did. But often this love took shape in the form of refitting those unfortunate followers into something more appropriate of their Mother’s tastes. Mutations and adaptations to circumvent any inherent weakness; and for a Primal of such power all that was not of her design was weak. 


The Macabre Mother’s grip tightened, almost threateningly, as Cathay turned to look at her. Molten eyes met those blood red, and all fell silent within the ruins of the Dreaming City. The Primordials waited as the ringing ceased, and all present wondered if Mergo would actually challenge the strongest produced within the Deep. 


The Matron’s smile never faltered, even as her grip continued to tighten. Though vastly more powerful than them, Cathay couldn’t help but be unnerved by the gaze of her Kin’s eyes. Like her own, they were the last things seen by many before eventually falling. Unlike herself however, there were very few instances in her long life where Mergo had ever killed another. If pushed so far, that was feat in and of itself, and normally only strictly business. All she has faced she has consumed. Made a part of herself, kept alive in some way, shape, or form. Whether such a fate was worse than death or a kindness in the grand scheme of things was a mystery the Archfiend didn’t wish to think about. 


“Tell me, my Lord, will my flock be made to suffer because of your unkindness? Your refusal to see the importance of their fragile lives?” Despite her terrible history, Mergo was fiercely defensive of those who called her mother. She was their god, their patron, and there were already so many in the multiverse who did not hear the prayers of their followers. She would not follow such examples. She would be better. 


“Will you follow in the footsteps of dread Uxaes? Break the unfortunate on your wheel of pain? That is a story with an ending we already know.”


A threat. 


The type that would have normally been a death sentence. None in their right mind would have even thought of speaking in such a manner towards the Archfiend of the Depths. Slayer of the Ruler of the Dreaming City, Creator of the Calamities, and Forger of Ruination. She whose name was spoken with nary a whisper for fear of invoking unseen wrath. Only Mergo would think to take such a risk, and only Mergo would get away with such words. 


Cathay’s gaze softened as she stifled a laugh. “Goodness, one would think you practiced such lines in a mirror. If I didn’t know any better I would have thought you were willing to challenge me.” 


Silent for a few moments, Mergo’s expression softened as well. Her smile grew kind, her eyes soft. “I am glad you think so, my Ruler. Keeping up with such appearances requires constant practice, and as I do not slumber as often as our dear siblings I find myself nearly forgetting our legendary bloodlust. I shall say, it is lovely to hear such efforts have borne fruit!” 


“Make no mistake my Queen, only a fool would fight you. Crown or not, you were chosen for your strength and mind. Had my threats and intentions been true I would not be here to express my apologies.” Placing a hand upon her cheek, Mergo’s head cocked slightly. Her thoughts fell to her children as she worried about their safety. “But I did not lie in the matters of my sheep. They cannot live without their goddess, and I would so hate to see them dead due to my absence. So many lives in all universes are so often unattended to. It truly is a sad thing to see prayers go unanswered, is it not?”


With her threats proving little more than a game, a joke which caused so many to worry, the Primordials relaxed. Like a breath that had been held in for too long, it hurt to hold onto such potential worry. They had grown strong to leave behind such conflicts, not get involved in more. They did not have the numbers to risk such pastimes anymore. 


“Still you care for so many Whelps?” Noxris asked in bemusement. While each Primal possessed their own brood, beings graced by the power of their blood, none viewed them in the same manner as Mergo would. Means to an end while she viewed them as her own. “Ohh, but not just Whelps of our blood, you harbor the lesser things of totality as well. Angels and Devils, Dwellers of the Void and Things of uncertainty. Anything that has lost their way. Broken, pathetic, they would serve you better as meat, not as pets.” 


Mergo scoffed, finding herself insulted at the prospect of ever choosing to dine on her own flock. Even those she found herself displeased with were never done away with in such an uncivilized fashion. Though, as is common of her, whether the fate they suffered was a blessing or an ending worse than death is a matter of deep, and usually twisted, perspective. “Of course you would think so, Plague-Wyrm. When one’s brood is naught more than an extension of themself, they lose much value of the lives lost in their name. My flock is smart. It is embraced, filled with love and devotion. Though I suspect a wyrm, or rather worm, such as yourself could never possibly understand that.”


Turned irate, Noxris’s hold on his perch grew. To the point where he threatened to collapse the entire thing. His wings brandished, the dragon seemed ready to lift himself towards and against Mergo’s words. “Wretch! Who do you think you are, calling me a worm!?”


Though not one truly, Noxris certainly possessed the pride of a dragon. He certainly barked like one when insulted…


Not wishing for another argument to spark, Cathay clapped her hands together to bring such possibility to an end. Mergo and Noxris fell in line quickly enough. She issued a wordless but simple order; one that was universally understood no matter the language spoken.


Fall silent.


“Now, let’s not fall into our primal mindsets. It may be our namesake, but let's leave the constant battling to our youngsters. At least for now.” 


Though with silence prevalent once again, there was a point to Mergo’s previous words. 


If Cathay didn’t know any better she might even think the Macabre Mother knew of her plan already. “But the Mother of the Lost is right in one respect. She has a clearer understanding of the purpose of this gathering than the rest of you.”


Cathay swatted away Mergo’s hand as she stood up, only to momentarily be taken aback by how much taller Mergo was then herself. Even as the Macabre Mother stepped away they did not shrink. “Oh… wow, looks like someone enjoys being large…” 


While far larger than she normally was when in her humanoid form, were one to compare the two at their smallest size, Mergo might seem a fair few inches over seven feet. Well over a foot taller than Cathay would be. Given recent escapades with her dear Girlfriend, and wider insight into more base desires, Cathay could only wonder if this was a recently developed interest of the Macabre Matron. That said, it wasn’t something she was going to speak about. Not when appearances needed to be maintained. 


Shaking her head back to clarity, Cathay continued. “I have an opportunity in mind. Something sure to interest and inspire you all.” 


“It’s been an eternity since any of us have really spread our proverbial wings; I do believe it is time we changed that.” 


Already she could hear the mental cries of her kin and their unwillingness to do anything other than slumber. Barring Mergo who herself held some form of interest, the rest only wished to sleep. Cathay needed to fight the desire to abolish such behavior. She was dealing with gods after all, not children. In an ages past she would have threatened their lives for even the smallest example of such behavior. In the present though, a calmer and more refined angle was needed. The Archfiend spread her arms and wings outward as she presented herself to her kin, at long last ready to address them as a queen would. 


“Before you all cast your grievances and excuses, hear what I have to say first in regards to this golden opportunity.” Really, they had no choice but to hear her out. Even if she wasn’t threatening them, Cathay was still their Queen. 


“I grant you all this. The chance to go free, travel and consume to your black heart's content once more.” If she was going to present her plan then it would need to stand out. Human advertisement taught her that much. Though the Primordial ones wished to return to their coveted rest they were still of the Depths. A kingdom built on top of carnage and bloodshed. Though their bloodlust had been refined to such a point they did not need to worry about it like the younger Depthborn, it still remained. As part of their natural being as breathing was to man, and having slumbered so long they were no doubt starved of such delicacies. Unconsciously, in a manner of speaking. Though any would be displeased at first, after having gone so long without it the meager mention of consumption and scent of battle would no doubt serve as a wondrous lure.


And from the looks of her court’s expressions, Cathay’s tactics were working. Though some faces were easier to discern than others, the general consensus was intrigue. A quick peek into the minds of Mahoon and N’ryda, or rather her pet to be precise, showed that the interest was shared even among them. 


“I offer this; the Cosmos to you once more. The chance to relish in old vices. The Heavens, the Void, The Infernal Pits. These I will allow you to dine on again, but only temporarily. Though you have reached your respective peaks of power, I can promise in this feast a more pleasant rest… and of course satisfaction in whatever or wherever you choose to feast on.” Cathay turned to Mergo, knowing such a trick wouldn’t work on her. “Or convert, in your case. I know you care only to expand your flock so this would be an ideal time to find those tired of the endless fighting between kingdoms. Offer them the love you so enjoy reminding us all of.”


Even when we do not wish to hear it…” Rathmas chimed in, earning themselves a quick glare from their Ruler. 


“Mouth! Zip it!” 


Sometimes it truly was like looking over the adolescent. Being so far above the rest in terms of power, the Primals were allowed to converse. To actually speak amongst themselves rather than fight for power. Of course, in such conversations came the clear bickering, annoyance between one another, as well as a slew of other issues. Be that as it may, Cathay’s words reached them. What was at first a surprise turned to interest for many. 


In fact, each of the Primals seemed more than willing to accept this development if it assured a deeper sleep; Mahoon most of all, whose jagged teeth smiled back with splendor. The cracks upon their planetary body grew wider, as more than just teeth began to reveal itself, Greater expanses of a green hue, coupled with the revelation of eyes and a myriad of strange limbs. They were forcing onto themselves a more physical body, one of their own design, rather than just some moon. No doubt to enjoy the coming feast. 


“All I ask is one little favor. A boon only you all can grant this weary Ruler, bound in chains.” Cathay lowered her wings along with her hands, displaying vulnerability to show that she hid nothing from those who followed her. 


“Feast only on those who seek to harm MY world. My temporary home away from home. Promise this and I can assure you galaxies of bodies to dine on.”


“Or care for. Mergo added, reminding Cathay of the whole bargain. 


“Yes.. yes to care for too…” Unsurprisingly, Cathay’s headache was returning the longer this went on. 


But she needed to say this. All of it. Not just to earn her court’s favor but also to show that her greatest intention was to defend the Earth, even if it came at the cost of the lives of those who might potentially harm it. 


Not assuredly. Potentially. 


Any risk would not be taken, and though Cathay couldn’t keep her domain from invading the planet’s shores, as no Ruler of the Depths could impede an invasion, she could certainly draw away the vast majority of attention. Turning the eyes of primals towards powerful kingdoms, more worthy challenges, was an ideal method to turn the greater numbers of whelps and ancients away from a weak world. While some would still invade it would be far from the danger a true invasion would entail. 


And this way, Cathay made it seem as though her only intention was to defend her new home. She would speak nothing of her planned cultivation of mankind. Not of that or of Ordegash’s hand in such plans. Because, as the Primals thought of her proposal, with less than savory reactions she might add, the ringing of the onlooker resumed and continued to persist. She was still being watched, and given the fact that she could not see who it was that watched her gave the Archfiend a good idea of who would risk such observation. Only a Calamity such as Gilah, or through the Tablets of Ruin, could she be witnessed without risk of being seen. 


So it stood to reason that the wielder of a Ruinous Slab watched her now. 


Ordegash, and more importantly Valerie. 


If they knew better, then they would stop now before peering further into whatever sights the Pale God had allowed of Cathay’s beloved human. She said only enough to show that she had humanity's best interests in mind… supposedly. 


Nothing that would prove too incriminating, that is unless the eldest Armitage held some sort of affection for the Multiverse’s other inhabitants. Whether that was the case or not though remained to be seen. Rest assured, Cathay would have words with the both of them once this was over.


In the meantime, she waited patiently for her court’s response. She could hear whispers as they mentally conversed with one another. Only through her good graces did she allow them to talk only among themselves, being easily capable of forcing their thoughts out into the open should she wish. But she couldn’t wait forever. 


They understood this, and before long finished in their contemplations. Some were unsure, others eager. All had a single question in mind though. Something they wished to be answered before giving their own responses. 


It was Noxris who spoke up, pulling themselves free from their ivory perch before crawling their way towards Cathay’s seat. They did not meet their gaze as they came to a halt besides N’ryda and her pet, both of whom also chose to lower their heads before the question could be asked. 


As though something so simple could prove harmful to their very lives.


Understandably uneasy, Noxris continued forward. Their words needed to be said. “The Mako Butcher. The… Gilah… if I recall correctly…”  


Immediately the Archfiend’s blood ran cold. It was not a good sign that their first collective thought was of them. Of Cathay’s first true companion.


“Talk carefully Plague-Wyrm,” Cathay warned. “Weigh whatever it is you have to say before speaking…”


Noxris did, or at least to the best of their abilities. Cathay heard it clearly through their thoughts, the many ways in which they could disclose the court's singular question as carefully as possible. Even then, Cathay was not prepared to hear it verbally, through the False Dragon’s own lips. “This weakness you show… in caring for some atom of creation… We have all seen it before… Vulnerability…”  


“Does this mean… the Calamity still lives?”

End Notes:

Well THIS took some time to make. I haven't posted in a good hot minute have I? Classes been dialed up but that doesn't mean i've stopped writing. Rest assured, we are nearing the closing of Remembrance of the Depthborn. Originally, the plan was for chapter 8 here to be the penultimate chapter. The prelude to 9, the original finale. But as you can, I have a LOT to write. And a lot to make up for. And this only counts for HALF of what I had planned for 8. In the end I ended up splitting the intended one chapter into two. SO, with that said...

Chapter 9 is nearly done. Bout a day or two, depending on how busy I am, but it is almost complete. And with it, the final chapter draws near! Until then though, leave a rating, review, and all y'all take care!

Chapter 9: Heed My Words by Viper07
Author's Notes:

It is wise to never test a Ruler's patience. No matter how strong you believe yourself to be, they will always be stronger. 

When Cathay took the mantle of Ruler of the Depths she did more than assume some crown. There was more to it involved than simply sitting on some pretty little throne. She became one with the cosmos. Its grand design. A function of the Multiverse, boundless in power, yet limited through certain restrictions. In her mind all things were possible. Just as they had been for the Crimson Bastard Lubaeron. Just as they had been for old Zathas and all-seer Alsanna. 


She could extend her mind to the furthest reaches of existence, or rip the freewill away from lesser beings. She could impose grand power onto those able to take into themselves such might, or take away that which made someone strong. 


She could assume a myriad of flawless forms trillions of times greater than what was natural to her, and with each one could snuff out countless stars between her fingers, or flatten clusters of galaxies in between the gaps of her toes. There were next to no limits as to the power the position of crown bearer granted. 


A shame then that there were so few opportunities which allowed for Cathay, or really any in her position, to exert such levels of power. Instead she was kept restrained through metaphysical bindings. Just as she was now a function of creation, the whole of the cosmos possessed ways to limit the fullest capabilities of those who maintained the infrastructure. While the power the Archfiend could exert was great, far more than those who commonly took the title of Ruler, be they greater like herself or lesser, it was far from what any lord was truly capable of. 


Their capabilities were situational, in a sense. Made manifest depending on the severity of certain issues. While technically they could achieve virtually any feat, only in the most dire of situations, dangers to the manifold in its entirety, could they truly show the might that comes to those of true sovereignty. 


If only just for a moment. To erase whatever threat was present.


And even then such occasions were few and far between, with whole realms of various realities set to rise and fade before anything of the sort could occur.


Cathay supposed her situation could be worse. She had some flexibility in her actions. Enough to keep herself from total tedium. She could still indulge in certain vices. She could use her many vast sizes to blanket whole cities in the shadows of her foot falls, or cut a star in two with a quick snap of her finger. Simple luxuries that didn't really seem all that grand compared to her life before her reign. 


But it was just never enough freedom that Cathay could freely deny her nature as one of the Depths. She's seen first hand what happens to those who deny their nature. Their calling…


For all who brandished a crown and led in creation, this was their standing. No creature was above them in power, though at the same time they were subservient to their inner selves. Their natures as citizens and servants to their respective kingdoms. 


Kings, queens… and prisoners. There was no greater sacrifice one could make, and for her domain, the very same one she's nearly brought to ruin on several occasions Cathay was more than ready to take on such a service. 


Call it her way of making amends with her kingdom.


For many, this was a mantle assumed by one's lone self. No attachments or ties, and as such no weakness was granted. That is what was expected. Nothing to cloud the judgment of the nigh-infinite minds of the almighty. But as always, Cathay did not follow such rules. Though bound in chains she would not bend to old laws. Not when she had yet to set in place her own. She would not govern alone. 


There was her council, of course. The five who chose to stand in refusal against the pretender King. Of the twelve remaining Royals of the Depths, it was they who proved their loyalty in staying the tide that would have ensured Cathay's predecessor's victory. She owed them much. They were valued, greatly, though in truth not nearly as much as the one who stood by the Archfiend's side on her day of ascension. 


Cathay still recalled it well, for it was a comparatively recent event in her unfathomably long life. Several tens of thousands of years prior as it were. On that day within the Depths; when the kingdom ruled by war and rage fell silent, as the strongest amongst them took their seat of power there was one who stood closest to the Archfiend. While the greater expanse of the Deep watched patiently, from whelps to primals, only the Butcher had the privilege of standing besides their Ruler. Their… friend.


Alive and whole, nursed back to health by one whose hands had taken more lives then there were stars in a million night skies. 


Not even Cathay's court had such an honor, allowed only to bow before their at the time newly crowned Queen. 


Gilah held the Archfiend's attention. As well as her fixation. 


It was no secret that the most feared being of the Depths possessed deeper feelings for the slayer of the False King. Feelings that, unfortunately, would not be returned. 


The thought bothered Cathay once. 


The idea that though she could consider Gilah a dear friend, perhaps the only true one she possessed in all of creation, they would never be anything more than that. There was trust between the two, built up over thousands of years of strengthening their relationship, but nothing which catered to more carnal pleasures. 


And perhaps that was for the best. 


Though she was mightier, Cathay would not stoop so low as to force herself upon Gilah. She held too much respect for the Butcher to even think of something so crude, and yet as the centuries passed on there was always the hope that perhaps, in some way, they would look her way. See what could be offered to them. 


Whole slices of realities, endless armies, luxuries reserved only for the most supreme of divine beings. All served on a iridescent platter if they so wished. 


Instead… Cathay was beaten. Outplayed in the game that was love. In time, Gilah found herself the love she needed, in the form of another. From someone infinitely weaker than herself, yet providing strength she might never possess on her own. Her beloved Jason. A human who could hardly be considered a blink in the expanse of eternity, and yet they maintained the legendary Butcher's full affection. They were strong, but not in the manner the Deep cared for. 


Jason was stoic. Brave, but also kind. Perhaps to the point of naivety, but that hardly mattered to Gilah. The two loved each other, that was all she cared for. They… offered something Cathay could have never given. 


At first such a romance was disgusting in the Archfiend's eyes. A smudge on the Butcher's title. An insult; though the truth of the matter was that she was in fact envious of the weak little human. To have succeeded where a tyrant had failed. Cathay believed Gilah deserved better. 


In a sense, she was still right. The Butcher did deserve better. Far more than anything her Ruler would have given. She deserved Jason, and Jason deserved her. 


That… made Cathay happier than she'd like to admit. 


Truly, it did. 


Her old friend deserved happiness, and were it not for that love they found then the Archfiend may never have discovered for herself the affection she had yearned for as well. Her beloved Valerie. Her luminous Star.


Gilah had earned her peace, and in so doing had given Cathay the chance to experience something new as well. Even now she owed the young Mako that. After a lifetime spent fighting, before coming to understand the importance of an existence beyond it, she had earned her rest. 


So it came as no surprise to Cathay when she felt her blood boil at the mere mention of Gilah, and how her very existence could prove a weakness for the Ruler. Even worse, to try and connect the former Butcher with her desire to defend the Earth. It was beyond insulting. To both of their names.


She would not stand for this.


A pressure assaulted the Dreaming City. 


A power so fierce that each primal was forced into a state of submission. Mahoon and Rathmas were made to watch as their bodies crumbled underneath the pressure of Cathay's rage, while Mergo and N'ryad were forced to kneel as their bodies failed to match against their Majesty's soaring might. The one who suffered most, however, was the Plague-Wyrm Noxris whose body quite literally began to melt away; chunks of pale flesh and chitin falling in clumps. 


Each passing moment the sensations of their bodies failing grew more painful. They could feel it, deep within their being. They were being undone, the cells that composed their body, and the alien matter which made up that, was being ripped apart at the seams. 


"My apologies Noxris…" Cathay's voice quivered in rage as the blackened pupils of her fiery eyes narrowed to soul crushing slits. Already, her form had been altered due to previous annoyances. Reverted back into something more natural to the Depths; her sickly, reptilian skin. Now the transformation grew more profound, more violent, as with each passing moment Cathay’s anger manifested in further alterations. "I must have misheard you… pray tell, WHO are you calling WEAK?" 


Though the insult directed at the Archfiend and her closest friend was a thought shared between the council, Noxris held the misfortune of voicing their collective concerns. As such, he also possessed the full force of his Ruler's wrath first. To be torn apart at not just the molecular level, but the conceptual one as well. To be unmade in the absolute, purest definition of the word. An assault that would normally be defended against with gradual ease. Each of the Primal Ones existed before the advent of creation. Conception across the whole of creation. Their very first act was learning how to use such abstract laws to build their very first forms. They knew how to defend themselves against many forms of attack; erasure of their very beings included. Unfortunately for them, Cathay was the greatest of their numbers even before her ascension. Her power and intellect GREATLY outmatched that of her council's. To a point where, rather than needing to overpower them, she only needed to select points within their ephemeral makeup which she could single out. Unravel them from their weakest chains, kill them through that. A difficult task, easier said than. But for one as old as the Archfiend it was certainly manageable. 


And she didn't even need to utilize the strength of her crown's authority to enact such a feat. This… was all her. 


Her form grew larger, surpassing Mergo’s as the human clothing which adorned the Ruler’s body burned away or tore in response to trying to contain her size. 


"Who are YOU to call ME weak? Who are YOU to think of Gilah as a WEAKNESS!? Or are you, ALL OF YOU, so quick to forget who it was that delivered us from the incompetence and wrath of Uxaes!?"


Cathay's hands tightened into fists, her wings unfurled, the minor motions of both serving as precursors to greater strain placed upon each of the Primal's physical forms. Though Noxris was the first to be torn at the seams, the rest were not exempt from such level of punishment. They could feel their bones, their flesh, their very sense of selves being unmade. 


Reduced to nothing. 


Damn the fact that Valerie might be witness to such potent horror, such insulting words would not be allowed to stand. 


"Did you also forget who it was that killed a Ruler despite bearing no crown?" The Archfiend asked as her human self melted away, allowing a much larger image to overtook those landbound Primordials. The thin veil that was reality began to break, cracking before the ever growing pressure that was the anger of a Ruler scorned. Like miniscule breaks across glass, they collided, combined, and grew across the air itself like streaks of lightning, cutting into structure and body with equal; terrifying precision. 


Cathay's form continued to grow, until it was large enough to overshadow the ancient statue that was Lubaeron’s preserved body. 


Though still much smaller than the likes of Mahoon, increasing her scale to such an extent was unneeded. Cathay needed only to impart this message, this lesson, into those who served her. Already she overshadowed Noxris, N'ryad, and even Rathmas. Any more and they'd likely miss what it was she had to say in favor of remaining awestruck. 


No longer did the Archfiend resemble her mundane, human guise. Now she took on a form more familiar to her ilk. The very same form which the Ruler of this Dreaming City had seen, shortly before his demise; garbs and all. Cathay gestured to the body of the once mighty king of the city of dreams, the simple movement of her hand proving strong enough to force forward a destructive gust of wind. 


"Lubaeron thought to insult me too. They believed me weak enough to bend the knee. To become subservient to them and their illusions of grandeur.” 


Cathay's tone of voice proved even greater than that of the Sunderer's, threatening to upend the location of this gathering. As she spoke the ruins shook, as did the Primordials which observed on in patience and worry. 


“Only ONE Being in the Multiverse and beyond has that honor, that privilege, and by no means was it him. Or any of you for that matter. So I want you to tell me, my Brothers and Sisters, are you all just as foolish as the Crimson Bastard? Are your tongues so loose that you're willing to risk your heads in insulting me?" 


Cathay’s gaze was indomitable. All encompassing. Though she was far from the largest of the Primals present, through her eyes, forced under the weight of her power, she seemed akin to an ancient sun standing before five little embers. Meager flames that could not hold a candle to the inferno that was her own existence. 


The sensation of pain scorched each and every one of the Primordials' cells, their normally unmoving forms faltering before Cathay's superior power. Of course none of them could answer her question given the oppressive force they were experiencing, though this was hardly cared for. The Archfiend knew they couldn't respond, and yet continued all the same.


"What's the matter? Nothing to say now?" No arguments in your defense?" Noxris fell flat on his chest, his limbs unable to support his weight and struggle against his Queen's wrath at the same time. In such a state of vulnerability, he could only hope that Cathay would not use this chance to do away with him. End his life, under hand or foot. Crush him as though he were some… lesser creature. An insult of her own to balance out what was said.


"I wonder… will this prove a substantial demonstration of why, sometimes, you should know when to keep certain fucking things to yourself?" 


Though the Plague-Wyrm was the first to fall, the rest weren't far behind. Cathay spared none of them any mercy. 


Rathmas's own tendrils were forcing themselves around his body, crushing the life out of him. 


The green glow which radiated across Mahoon's planetary frame began to fade rapidly, his life quickly depleting as felt himself fall apart. 


N'ryad and her pet clutched at their heads, clearly in pain, the air around them beginning to shimmer and fall. Like shattered glass, the Primal's mind was breaking more than it already has, forced to the brink because of the Archfiend; left with only madness as the sole escape. 


Only Mergo stood steadfast against the torment. If anything, she even seemed to enjoy such trauma. She clutched at her cheeks as she keeled over, caught between a growing sensation of both pain and pleasure. The Macabre Mother dug her nails into the flesh beneath her eyes, her lids growing wider as time passed on. She was caught between trauma and ecstasy, and wished for neither to end. 


Regardless of whether the punishment was enjoyed or not, all within the court were aware of the fact that Cathay could kill them all here and now if she so wished. It was within her power to eradicate those she deemed an issue to her kingdom. Or an annoyance.


They continued to live only because Cathay allowed it. 


And they would continue to do so, in service to her only, as nothing would be gained were she to kill her advisors. Anger aside, erasing her court would just mean more work for herself. An ending best avoided as certain duties might pull Cathay away from her management of the Depths, as well as her coveted love life. 


In an act of mercy, the Archfiend released her grip on her council, allowing them the much needed chance to reconstitute their failing forms. As assuming a physical form from formless nothing was among their first acts of sentience, repairing their ruined selves should be simple. 


Each of them suffered from such terrible influence, save for Mergo who had a ridiculous smile across her face. If Cathay didn't know any better she'd say that the Unholy Mayron even enjoyed her punishment.


She had half a mind to start again in teaching the five a lesson for Mergo's single, simple smile. Wrath incurred should not be met with pleasure… unless that’s the original intention, of course. 


Ultimately Cathay decided against such actions. As is, she already felt as though she were steering off course, and with the power she demonstrated she felt as though her message was clear. 


In a flash, Cathay returned to her station on top of Lubaeron’s palm, her form unchanged and beside a still ecstatic Mergo. "One warning, that is all I'm giving you!" Her voice was strong despite her now smaller size, no doubt carried further through her power. Though once again shorter than the Macabre Mother, she was still mighty enough that her voice reached out far beyond the domain that was this fallen Kingdom and into the cosmos; to any and all Depthborn capable of hearing her. "Heed-these-words and heed them well. Watch your tone with the Butcher, and tread carefully with ME!” 


Every word spoken was like nails on the Primals' ears, and each time the decibels with which Cathay spoke only grew louder and louder. Eventually, the only thing her court could hear was her voice. “The Earth will be defended. You will feed only on its enemies. You will have your fill, and when you are done you will sleep again. This is my command and I will suffer NO disobedience. Is that understood?"


Of the five, only four lowered their heads in acknowledgement. Not a word was said as they did. They each knew better than to argue. They understood what was expected of them. 


“You… are heard…” Mahoon assured from up above. 


A surprise, even to Cathay, as it was not often the Voidbane spoke. They chose only to do so when a situation commanded it, and even then it was normally one word let alone three uttered. This showed the Archfiend that what she has said, her warning and command, was taken seriously In the lightless sky their celestial body stood out in the darkness, the green hue radiating off of them giving the appearance of some otherworldly star. Where once it was weak, slowly the glow began to shine brightly again. They were regaining their strength, as were the rest of the Primals. 


As expected, it didn’t take much time at all.


Noxris, for understandable reasons, possessed the hardest time in regaining their body. They were made to suffer the most of their Queen’s wrath, and as such their physical form was nearly ruined in its entirety. To a point where they were close to a point of needing to assume a whole new one completely. It was taking considerable effort to undo the damage Cahtay had inflicted on them, and even then some wounds may not mend at all. “My ap-apolgies… my Rul-er…” The Plague-Wyrm would not dare speak with their mind. Even if their jaw and vocal chords had been nearly reduced to mush, forcing each gluttoral word to be spoken with in extreme pain, they would speak with their own tongue. Their own voice. “I spo-spoke out of tu-tu-turn… It will not happen ag-gain…”


A sentiment shared with all among the council. 


Her anger fading, the Archfiend smiled. “See to it that it doesn’t.” 


It would be a shame if she had to find replacements for her advisors.


Compared to those who preceded her, Cathay’s reign in the Deep was still young. Despite her advanced age she has only sat upon the throne for a time not nearly as long as the length in which she’s known Gilah. FAR less time than her predecessors respective reigns; that is including the Elder which she directly succeeded. 


In a fair many ways, she was still learning the qualities it took to lead a kingdom as defiant as her own, and the Primals in turn were still coming to understand her rule. They needed to tread with her as they would a sovereign of creation. Carefully, and with the utmost of respect. The power she had demonstrated now was a step towards that direction. While some kingdoms preferred diplomacy and politics, the Depths relied solely on strength to have one's words heard. This way it became clear as to who was in charge. 


That said, there were always those who remained defiant even in the face of superior strength. And of course that one defiant soul would be the one who seemed to gain the most pleasure from her torment. 


"Ah, there it is… that legendary temper of yours~." Mergo looked on with glee. As always, she was the only one to try her hand at testing Her Majesty's patience further; no doubt against the better wishes of her peers. The office of crown bearer didn't concern her one wit, and though by no means strong enough to face off against Cathay, alone or with others, the Unholy Mother would not be so easily silenced. 


“I was worried that your time with supreme power had dulled your old temperament, forcing a once malicious mind towards monotony. How tantalizing to see that I wa-” 


Unfortunately, Mergo wasn't even given the chance to speak further as, in swift retaliation, the Primordial quickly found her lower jaw… gone. 


Shattered in a fine black mist. 


The strike was sudden, unfelt and barely registered. As realization of what had occurred dawned on the Macabre Mother, she found her cheeks growing hotter. Raising a hand to them, her eyes traced upward to Cathay’s black bloodstained backhand. 


What was once confusion had been replaced by infatuation. The Unholy Matron’s upper lips curled upward as best as they could with only half her head remaining. A short lived issue, as before long new bone grew fast and took the place of where Mergo's lower jaw had been. It was followed by regrown flesh shortly after, and through terrible crunching coupled with the sounds of mashed flesh, Mergo’s mouth had been restored; in no time at all it would seem. There was nary a blemish to be seen on her beautiful form. 


Even more stunningly, Mergo was in no way displeased with her Mistress's crude actions. If anything she was overjoyed by them 


"Just as fiery as ever, my Queen. Your strength may have earned you your throne, but that temper of yours is what earned you your reputation. A wonderful way to remind the cosmos what happens to those who cross you~.”


Mergo’s smile grew wider, practically mad in disposition. Her already red eyes shined brighter as she licked her lips. “No one would dare anger a crown killer, and of those who hold the title, who among them is as feared as you?” 


“That in mind, if you wished for harm to befall me then I would have gladly plucked out my own eyes. Perhaps my tongue, my teeth, or even the nails of my fingers~?” 


Disgusted, the Archfiend turned away. 


There it was, the underlying personality hidden beneath the guise of a ‘caring mother’. Mergo's 'true self'. A sycophant that had grown strong from pain; regardless of whether it was inflicted upon herself or others. So much so that now that which was once burdening was viewed as pleasurable. A gift in many instances.


She thrived off of it, so much so that she was willing to let her Lost Lambs suffer as a form of service. To Her. The greater pain Mergo's sheep endured, the more they were able to feed her.


Those of her brood were nothing more than subjects in a tithe system, where the greatest sufferer earned their mother's gaze. It was sickening… if not ingenious. 


Mergo rewrote her followers. Altered their natures, shaped them into something that yearned for pain, much like herself. Flayed, bloodied, and beaten, the more they craved the more they'd be able to offer her, until nothing remained besides an undying desire for all things harmful to the flesh. A constant supply of worshippers who relished in pain, yet were unbothered by it. It was no wonder the Macabre Mother worried even her peers.


"I have no need for your disgusting flesh," Cathay expressed rather crudely. All this earned her was a stifled moan from the unholy figure. The Archfiend grit her teeth in greater revulsion. "All I want, all I need, is your compliance. Temporarily. Just long enough for every other kingdom to know that Earth is off limits to them." 


As far as Cathay was concerned now, the little planet of apes was her territory. Her property so to speak. She would not settle for anything threatening that which belonged to her. Even less so than she would allow for disobedience in her court. 


On this matter she would hear of no compromise. Everyone knew it, and as such was forced to obey.


Nothing more would be said. Mergo slowly but surely managed to get ahold of herself, seeing that her Majesty would not indulge her more carnal desires further. A pity, but one that could not be avoided. Cathay was here strictly on business after all, and though there was a brief hiccup in her intentions behind this meeting the message was still clear. She needed the aid of her kin to ensure some little world’s safety. Do what she cannot, free of the chains that she possessed. A simple task really. One that would not cost the Primal’s anything. They even served to gain from this development, should they find substantial prey. Nothing of what was asked of them proved a detriment to their well-being beyond stifling their slumber. Even then they’d still be able to return to that in time. 


The Primordials were silent once more, still mulling over what was commanded of them no doubt. It was Mergo again once more who broke the silence. “Well, I for one look forward to adding to my flock. New children in search of a mother. Lost little souls who need a new purpose in their meek little lives. This is an opportunity that should not be squandered. Not by myself, or by you all, my Kin.”


Steadily, the remainder were roused from their inner thoughts. Intrigue once more was felt across their collective minds. Despite the punishment they were forced to endure, in their minds all because of the young Butcher Gilah, it did not weigh on their final decision. The call to arms, the chance to bleed kingdoms once more. Mergo was right, all of this was too good an opportunity to pass up, allowing the eldest to exercise their old bones again.


Their instincts played the greatest hand in bringing forward their resolve.  


The first to fall to Cathay’s might, Noxris served as the first to fly into his newfound duties. “Oh what joy to flood the Manifold with fear once more! To remind creation of its true apex! Do not worry my Master, your words have been heard! Rest assured, this Dragon shall make Totality bleed again!” 


Their wings stretched outward, Noxris took to the skies as cobalt flames engulfed their body, breaking them apart. It carried them to wider unknowns across creation, points of interest that might serve his Lady's goals.


Rathmas groaned in annoyance and followed shortly after, not keen on allowing their old rival the chance to get ahead of them in fulfilling their Ruler’s commands. “Never leave a wyrm to do a Ravager’s job.” The old one turned to Cathay, bowing in respect. Not of just her power, but her presence as well. She had placed a strong leash on each of the five, reminding them of their place. That alone was commendable in their eyes. “My Queen, it has been a pleasure.” 


They departed as well, burrowing into the earth that was the Ruined City of dreams. One by one the Primal’s left for different parts of the cosmos, leaving even without their Ruler’s permission. Cathay took it both as a minor insult and a means of distancing themselves from further ire, as even after having faced her wrath they still did as they pleased regardless of her saying so. 


Mahoon left in an emerald flash of light to locales disclosed, and not long after N’ryad was whisked away by her pet; her escort and aid. That left only Mergo remaining, and all they wished to do was stand in silence, watching as their kin departed.


“I wish them all luck in their respective journeys.” The Macabre Mother admitted. “Though we are all ancient beyond measure, the tapestry changes even as we sleep. We tend to forget this. I wonder if they’ll find prey worthy of their tastes in this age. Perhaps prey stronger than themselves. Wouldn't that be a delight?"


The chance to evolve once more from worthy prey. A privilege many a Primal no doubt misses. 


Regardless of whatever prey was found, they needed only to stem the tide of possible challengers. Forces that were not of Cathay's design. All she wanted was for their duties to be carried out. How their tasks were carried out didn’t matter, so long as they were executed. 


“Of course, not every detail of your plans were shared I imagine. As is your prerogative, as well as your nature as a spinner of schemes. Nothing is ever mentioned in full.” Mergo continued. “Not even your court is aware of whatever full intentions you may have. Though the less we know, the better, as they say. That said…"


Mergo’s eyes narrowed as she peered into the void above, the darkness which had been summoned by Cathay slowly fading to reveal the lifeless sky of the Dreaming City. She couldn’t help but wonder what more there was to her Mistress's commands. "You've never been one to defend a world. Ever the annihilator, not much of a cultivator. I of course mean no offense when I say, in matters of preservation you lack certain qualities. So with that in mind, I can only imagine you've already held council with others beforehand~."


"Perhaps one as intelligent as yourself. Or maybe even more so? Someone… versed in these matters bordering order and control?


Cathay’s blood ran cold. The Unholy Matron was analyzing the situation. 


Quite efficiently at that. 


Trying to dissect Cathay's true intentions. Quickly, she was able to single out the possibility of the Ruler working alongside another.


They had been aided by Ordegash, Sole Order of the Depths, and who as far as the other Primals were aware was still locked away in the darkest caverns of the Deep. There was no telling how long their involvement could be kept a secret, nor how long it would take for Mergo to figure all this out. 


"Careful Matron…" Cathay warned. "Remember well what Noxris experienced, and what I had said about leaving well enough alone. Pain may not be something which deters you but I promise, peer further and I will find your limit." 


Mergo could feel the pressure rising again, and even with their back turned to her she could feel her Ruler's indomitable gaze on her. It was enough to heat her up once more, though she would need to save such feelings for another time. She had a duty to uphold, as well as a flock to tend to and expand. There were many who needed her 'guidance'.


"Of course I meant nothing of what I said, my Ruler!" Mergo did what she could to save face, waving off her words as nothing more than that. Simple words. Jests to be shared. "Think of what I said as the inquisitive thoughts of a mind too old for its good. Your company is your own, and I certainly am not someone to judge you for those you keep at your side."


Mergo's body and attire began to soften, her forming melding into the stone-like flesh of Lubaeron’s palm. "We the Five live to serve, after all. Our own reservations for certain tasks aside, we can guarantee a job well done. You may rest easy knowing we shall fulfill our duties." Her body was pulled away, carried to whatever hellscape she dragged herself away from. Back to those many souls who were now dependent on her attention. And not a moment too soon, as Cathay herself still had loose ends to deal with. 


"Though one final thing, Lord Cathay…" Mergo's departure halted, leaving herself half composed of her own flesh and that of the dead Ruler’s. "Whoever, or whatever, the company you've chosen to keep close is, I pray you show them the mercy you granted us. It is only fair after all, as I'm certain they've only done as asked."


That alone was enough for the Archfiend to know Mergo understood more than she let on. She knew they had help, though a quick scan through their mind showed they didn't know of Ordegash's involvement. There was suspicion, of course, as there was only one being of true order in the Deep. But nothing solid as of yet, and even were a clearer picture to be presented they had little intention of using this against their Queen. 


A relief to be sure, though Cathay couldn’t help but wonder about the Unholy Matron’s goals. 


Thankfully, such intentions wouldn’t be pressed further. Not Cathay’s nor Mergo’s. She had missed a few marks in her analysis, and though the Macabre Mother was certainly on the right path in deducing the company Cathay kept, whether mercy would be shown or not… was still a matter of debate. 


The Archfiend chuckled, already narrowing down where a certain pale skinned slug’s presence was last felt.


"I only promise to try."


***


Valerie worked quickly, making doubly sure that everything in her bedroom was in order. She made sure the bed was made, the floor was properly clean, and that she was well dressed. Anything and everything to ensure Cathay would be put into the best of moods upon her arrival. 


She took a risk. An astronomically large and admittedly idiotic risk, but it remained one she didn't regret a single bit. For the first time in hers and the Archfiend's relationship she saw first hand what it was her girlfriend did. The kingdom and subjects she lorded over. It was admittedly terrifying, the scale of such beings. She couldn't even be considered an insect to creatures so powerful, and yet she dated the strongest among them. Perhaps one of, if not the, most powerful beings in the Multiverse.


The Multiverse… that alone was a prospect which boggled the human's mind. Not something that necessarily broke her, and in fact she was taking it in rather decent strides. It was just something which she needed time to wrap her head around. 


Time which she might not be afforded as last she saw, Cathay was returning home. This home of hers, here on Earth. If only Ordegash had given Valerie a warning before leaving for their apparent safety. An indicator of when the Archfiend's meeting would end. Valerie knew they had that sort of information. They were borderline all-knowing. Instead, the eldest Armitage was panicking. Waiting for her lover as she paced back and forth, having already hidden the Pale God's 'gift' from sight. 


Or at least that was the hope…


"Maybe I should have done better than to hide it under the bed…" Valerie wondered aloud. Glancing to the mattress frame, she thought of reaching under and just kicking the present further away. Out of sight, out of mind. The same logic should apply for a reshaped Tablet of Ruin. A slab of stone, metaphysically reformed into a book of spells so abstract, so alien, Valerie had trouble speaking most of what she saw. 


They were not made to be spoken by human tongues, so she was glad Ordegash provided her with the spell to observe a meeting between Primals. Or at least she was at that moment. Now… well… her panic and worry were still rising even after she had hidden away the blasted spellbook. 


"No… no, it's fine. It's fine, it's fine, it's fine." Valerie continued to calm herself. "It's safe under the bed, and Ordy said Cath wouldn't be able to see that it was me watching her. I have nothing to worry about…" 


She steadied her breathing, focusing only on what she saw of the meeting. Keep Cathay's intentions in mind, her desire to keep her home safe. Noble. That's what she needed to focus on. "Calm yourself Val. Everything is going to be okay. Cathay won't be mad…"


"Well, I wouldn't necessarily say that." The Archfiend chimed in from atop the bedroom mattress, sitting cross legged as she watched her girlfriend try to get a hold of her fleeting thoughts. "It's actually safe to say I'm rightfully pissed." 


Valerie fell to the floor in a fright, taken by surprise over Cathay's sudden reappearance. "When did you get here!?!" 


"Few seconds ago," the Ruler admitted as she leaned forward, reaching underneath the bed frame. Fishing for the spellbook Valerie thought was safely hidden away. "Just long enough for you to tell me what I needed to know." It wasn't long before Cathay found the wretched tome. A horrible, skin bound book that held the deepest of secrets. Nonchalantly, she began to flip through the pages. 


"I swear, it's almost as if you've forgotten there's no destination closed off to me." She quickly found the spell which had allowed the viewing of her meant-to-be secret meeting. An incantation that turns the pages of the book itself into a type of scry. A window into other planes of existence. "Nor are there any secrets kept from me... With a thought I could go anywhere. Learn anything. Or did you think, for even a brief moment, that I was of the same level of mediocrity as an average ape?"


Cathay's form was unchanged in everything but size, and even that was a few feet larger than the height of her human disguise. An amazon in stature, nearly eight feet tall, only kept from having her head strike the roof of the apartment by sitting on top of the bed. Her refined attire, paired with the skin and eyes of one born of the Deep brought back old memories for the Human. A goddess that sent shivers down the Armitage's spine… though for perhaps all the wrong reasons.


The first time the two met was at the Ravencroft pier, where Cathay threatened to crush Valerie underfoot. She was searching for Jason and Gilah, they both were, but instead found each other first. The sensation of complete powerlessness back then, the inability to breathe without being allowed; it was all here in full force once again. 


And just as before… Valerie was into it. Even if Cathay wasn't smiling, or was even thinking of having her lover develop such thoughts at this crucial moment, it was still happening. But there was a time and place for everything, and right now was perhaps the worst possible place to think of anything lewd. 


Even if Cathay's more godly form was hitting all the right buttons with Valerie. 


"Cathay, look, I know you're angry but please let me explain…"


The Ruler traced a finger across her mouth, and in an instant Valerie soon found herself unable to speak. She was not in any pain, nor was she suffering the same punishment as the Primals. Her voice was just gone. Taken from her until Cathay decided she had earned it back. 


"Not. A. Word." The Ruler demanded. "I don't want any excuses. All I want is to know what you and Ordegash heard. What was it that was SO important that you'd be willing to eavesdrop on me?" 


Valerie's response was immediate as she hastily shook her head back and forth. She knew what would happen if she chickened out. While Cathay might never hurt her, there was no telling what she'd do to Ordegash. She wasn't going to rat out the Primordial, even if this situation was more or less because of them. 


Cathay sighed. Her expression was unchanged, and as the Ruler rested her spellbook at her side, with a snap of her fingers Valerie found herself on her hands and knees. 


"You think you're safe because we're dating, don't you?" Cathay questioned. Though Valerie couldn't speak, her expression alone was all the answer that was needed. The Archfiend chuckled as she gestured her beloved move forward. They did so without any form of resistance. Catching Valerie off guard,Cathay rested a single bare foot on their shoulder. "Just because I can't fuck with your mind doesn't mean that body of yours is safe. There's still plenty I can do to make you talk."


"When I want you to, of course~."


The weight of the Ruler's foot steadily increased as Valerie found her clothes becoming looser. The world was gradually rising around her, getting further and further away. 


"Take for instance, changing that size of yours to something more easily intimidated. The scale of a child, or even an ant perhaps." Cathay's lips curled into a twisted, toothy grin. "Though I can't promise I'll hold back if it's the latter."


Valerie's mind was working in overdrive. Everything was moving so fast, and as her lover's foot only continued to get heavier she wasn't sure of what exactly she could do to spare Ordegash of his master's wrath. Worst still, even in this precarious situation, Valerie found her heart racing at an extreme pace. She was enjoying this. Far more than she had any right to. Though Cathay was often the sub to Valerie's dom, the Archfiend knew how to reverse the roles WELL it would seem. Some of the energy she had used in disciplining her court was still in deep effect, and it was absolutely working for Valerie. That said, she couldn't give in to any growing temptations; even if she really wanted to. 


Valerie needed to find a way out of this dire predicament. 


Despite her smaller size, she needed to remind Cathay of their dynamic. Show them who was still in charge of this relationship of theirs. So, perhaps in a moment of madness, Valerie did the only thing she could think of. 


Shameful to admit, with some carnal temptations in mind, Valerie positioned herself until her face was just beneath Cathay's foot… and bit the soft skin of her cold sole. 


The Ruler grimaced. Her eyes twitched, her smile sunk. "What do you think you're doing?"


Their tone was anything but pleased. Taken off guard at first, the Ruler composed herself fast. Again, Valerie bit into the sole of Cathay's foot, taking an extra step to slide her tongue across the soft flesh. Once more, the Ruler shifted in her seat. This time however, her apparent discomfort was followed by a sultry, barely contained moan. She caught it as quickly as she could, coughing to hide her brief break in composure.


"Stop it."


That one was even less pleased than before, but Valerie heard what she heard. Cathay tried to pull her foot away only to find that her beloved human was unwilling to let go. Though smaller, her strength was just enough to allow her the chance of latching onto the Tyrant's leg. Like before, she bit the sole of and toes of the Archfiend's feet before running her tongue up the length of their leg. 


"You… you're…" Though Cathay was trying her damndest to keep her composure, Valerie was skilled. Extremely skilled in the art of carnal desires. So much so that the Archfiend was finding her mind turning foggy from the continued, lustful assault. "You're really… misjudging the situation here…"


She was meant to be interrogating the human, learn what Ordegash had schemed behind her back; not fall for their tricks again. Just as when they had first met, Valerie was quick to take control over a situation. Though the methods now we're far different from back then, they were still immensely effective.


What was more, it did not help that all this felt too good. 


"Fucking… Valerie please, for just a moment hear what I have to say… and…" It was no use. Cathay's mind was just getting clouded. Whatever anger she felt previously was expertly being washed away. And here the cosmos thought the Archfiend was meant to be the feared one. Oh how little it truly knew. "And… and… aaaghn…"


She wasn't even going to try and hide her enjoyment of the sensations. 


"Fu… fuck it…" If Valerie was going to play this game then who was Cathay to deny her? "Co…ahhn… con… tinue… please… just like that… carry on as you are…"


The Ruler leaned back into the bed, presenting herself in her full divine, submissive glory, allowing her much smaller partner to have their way with her. Just as they've done on many nights prior.


A feast only for her dear Valerie. 


Or at least that was Cathay's hope. In actuality, the Archfiend had played right into her lover's hand. Valerie had continued to shrink down considerably. To a point where she slipped right out of her clothes. She couldn't have been more than a few feet tall. When compared to Cathay's eight she certainly had her work cut out for her. 


And still she found that her diminishment did not stop. Not until Cathay decided enough was enough, and given her look of pleasure right now, fixing her error was the last thing on her mind.


 It didn't matter. Whether she was four feet or four inches, and regardless of if Cathay was eight feet tall or eight thousand, the eldest Armitage still had the all-powerful Ruler in the palm of her hand. 


She wondered what their council might think if they saw their Queen in such a vulnerable state. 


Of course this singular state of waiting was all Cathay was getting, as the moment Valerie hit the three feet threshold she turned her back towards the oversized foot she had previously pampered. It was remarkably heavy, and quite nearly the size of the human's whole torso. It took some steel will to turn away from such a soft, black tipped, immaculate extremity; Especially after Valerie had practically made out with it. 


But she needed to power through this. Valerie had a point to make, and as soon as Cathay realized her patience would go unrewarded did she understand something more was up. Positioning herself slightly upright, she saw Valerie turned away, sitting in a pile of her clothes with arms crossed. 


"Oh, so that's how it's going to be then? A brief bit of heaven before you start with the silent treatment?" 


Well it wasn't as though Valerie had a choice in not speaking, but it worked towards her goal. Silver linings and all that. 


The Archfiend positioned her foot just behind their human's back, lightly massaging her oversized toes against their back. All the while, Valerie continued to grow smaller, fully aware that Cathay could stop this if she wanted to. "Come on now, no need to be a child. Tell you this, if you keep going I might even forgive you~."


Valerie turned her head, glancing at Cathay from the corner of her eyes. Though she could not say anything, her glare explained all the Ruler needed to know. "You're wondering if I'll extend that mercy to Ordegash, aren't you? Well I won't. They know what they did and how I'd react. They did this fully aware of the consequences. 


Catching Valerie off guard, she found her continued diminishment sped up greatly. Up until the point where she was small enough that Cathay could easily clutch their body in between her toes. She was raised into the air, and struggled the whole time she was in her lover's grasp. All that served to accomplish was earning a soft chuckle from the surprisingly assertive Tyrant. 


With expert skill, Cathay positioned Valerie's body around just enough so that she could face the smiling Queen. There wasn't a single moment where the human found herself in pain. The Archfiend knew what she was doing, whether it be using her powers or her body. Valerie was at her complete mercy, and for once she relished in this. 


"If I'm to be honest, I'm surprised you care so much for that Pale Slug. I know you to be a kind soul Valerie, but truly what did Ordegash do to earn such… loyalty?" 


Cathay motioned her foot in circles, taking her lover for a ride in-between mammoth sized toes. The world spun as the human found herself played with. Treated like some toy, though she knew the Archfiend never viewed her as such. 


"Does it really matter what I do to the Sole Order? You owe them nothing more than a window into matters that didn't even concern you. Really, it's their fault you're even in this position right now."


"Not that I'm complaining…" crunching her toes, Cathay elicited a small and pleasurable pop from her dear human. What might seem concerning at first was revealed to be salubrious, as Valerie's arms slumped. Her whole body relaxed from that one quick pop of any innermost imperfections. Like a second long massage. "This reversal of roles is rather intoxicating~." 


Whether this was Cathay's attempt at regaining control of the situation, or a growing desire to see what it was like to be the dominant one, Valerie couldn't say for certain. Though her mind was taken for a spin from the sudden dosage of euphoria, she knew that she needed to remain unwilling in giving Cathay what she wanted.  


With a hard to manage huff, the human turned her head away, ignoring her nigh-omnipotent girlfriend. 


She was refusing to play along, and in doing so only served to aggravate Cathay and dash her wishes. Anyone else would have suffered grievous repercussions if they even thought of opposing her, yet Valerie had the luxury of being perhaps one of the rare few, if not the only one, capable of getting away with such risks. 


The Archfiend had no way of knowing what was going through the human's head, and due to stealing their voice they certainly couldn't really read Valerie's lips to learn of what troubled the human so much. Their refusal to continue on with previous pleasures was perhaps the most annoying aspect of Valerie's little rebellion. They'd be heading nowhere so long as this continued. 


So, fully aware of the verbal lashing she was bound to receive, Cathay returned her Girlfriend's voice with but a snap of her fingers.


There was time required for Valerie to realize her voice returned, and time after for them to remember how to speak. They coughed twice, noting how odd it felt to actually have your vocalizations taken away and then returned. She adapted quickly to the sensation however. An impressive feat that brought a smile to her lips.


Which then slowly curled into a frown as she looked at her gigantic girlfriend…


"Ordy's just trying to help you, you Idiot!" Valerie shouted from in-between Cathay's toes, her predicament not at all keeping her tone at bay. "Just like Mergo said, they were only doing their job. No fucking way you're going to punish them over that!" 


There she went again, standing up to Cathay without so much as a care for their own self-preservation. Just as she had done before when threatened with near devourment. It was a wonderfully powerful quality of Valerie which Cathay loved immensely. There weren't many so bold, or so idiotic, that they'd think to stand up against her. The Archfiend liked to think that perhaps, at that moment, she knew the Human to be special. 


Still, given the circumstances, she wouldn't bend so easily. Even to Valerie. Especially when Ordegash, the one Cathay had placed her trust in, showed secrets they were not supposed to. 


"Oh yes, because I certainly wanted Ordy to show you terrors that would tear apart even a god's mind." Cathay retaliated through grit teeth. Her hold over Valerie didn't tighten, but it felt as though at any moment the Archfiend could just scrunch her toes and end this. Though she never would, the thought didn't leave the Human's mind. She still didn't back down. "And let us not forget how he gave you a book of spells that is just FULL of secrets bound to paint a target on your back. Yes, I should be ETERNALLY GRATEFUL they granted you such a gift!" 


On top of that, Cathay was still sour over what the Pale Lord had done several months back. Aiding Gilah in leaving the Depths, fully aware over Cathay forbidding such an action. Not really something one would do when trying to earn her favor, borderline omniscience or not.


Again, she was reminded of just how few actually listened to her orders. Those not of her court anyway.


Cathay wasn't even certain what Ordegash was thinking this time around. Though their thoughts were often misplaced between innumerable realities, contemplating rampant possibilities and what-ifs, they KNEW the danger the blasphemous tome represented. It was loathed across the cosmos for a reason. Hated for containing words that had never been written. Spells that have never been spoken. Whispers of the universe, words forced into conception by the very power of the tablets Cathay created to kill throne bearers. Kings and Queens such as herself. It was a poison to the manifold, just as its nature intended. The knowledge contained within was not something she, or anyone else for that matter, had written. 


It was… everything. The very shadows of totality given form; condensed on ever changing pages of paper and god skin. 


An artifact such as this, something so dangerous that even the Archfiend wasn't aware of its fullest capabilities, was not something that should be gifted to ANY being let alone a mortal. 


A human at that.


Among the lowliest and weakest of mortalkind…


Cathay would need to keep it close at hand. Make sure it didn't fall into the grips of any who might misuse it a second time. 


And though it was crude to say, Valerie's hands were far from ideal. There were admittedly better holders of such power than herself. All this was just another issue that’d need to be dealt with in time. Better to cut the bud before it blooms into a real danger. 


"Well I'm glad Ordy trusted me with it!" Valerie revealed, catching the Ruler off guard. She saw on Cathay's face the deep contemplation she was in, weighing what choices she should make going forward. Valerie understood her limits, especially when compared to the might of the one she’s been intimate with. She was aware of the difference between their strengths, their very existence. Valerie wasn’t so headstrong as to hold any sort of delusions. Still... 


"I'm happy to at least have the ability to help you!" 


"And most of all, I'm hopeful you'll see that as well…" Valerie's frustration lessened. Her anger steadily passed. All she wanted was for Cathay to see where she was coming from.


It was a human sentiment, desiring someone so close to you to see your point of view. To share the thoughts you hold dear. Valerie knew trying to convince Cathay was an uphill battle. They weren't human after all, and even if they had worn a very convincing disguise, the Archfiend was the furthest thing from a human. She relished in that. Took joy in hiding among inferior creatures, letting them think they had something over her. 


That said, Valerie wanted to at least try. Show that she could be more than just human, if only just for Cathay. 


They wanted her to know they could be of use. More than just a delicate voice and a warm body in bed. While it was ludicrous to imagine she could be of any actual aid to the Ruler of the Depths, that was just the humanity of the eldest Armitage. Stubborn. Unreasonable. And yes, quite possibly insane. 


Cathay lowered her leg, dropping the now shaking human on the bed. She had plenty to say, but that tiny body of hers made it difficult to speak when the one you were talking to was a skyscraper by comparison. The Ruler was unmoving, inquisitive in her expression but unchanged in position. While this left her in something of a suggestive position for her human to gawk at, that was neither the intention or a concern. 


"I know you want to be of help…" Cathay admitted. She wasn’t so callous as to disregard the existence of that want. Valerie wouldn't be satisfied unless she was actively contributing to their relationship. Not in a way that would matter to a human, but in a form that would be beneficial to a queen of the cosmos. Yet she was only human. "But you have to understand, your limits are many. There's still so much you don't know of your own universe, let alone the Multiverse and beyond." 


"Then teach me!" The small but bold human exclaimed. She was relentless. There was only determination in her voice. "I was reluctant at first to see that book! Really, I was! But Ordegash assured me this was what I needed to do if I wanted to help!"


The Primal never forced Valerie to peer into the pages of the blasphemous tome. Her hand was not swayed, nor was she maliciously coerced. The ultimate choice was her own. But Ordegash assured her that this was the best way to be of use to his Majesty. 


"They told me this was the only way for me to see things as you do. To learn how you lead your kingdom, and that even if it means destruction for some you only want to keep mankind safe. That's… almost kind of you." Valerie's head was lowered as she recalled what was told to her. Good. That way she didn't see the confusion on Cathay's face. 


Sure, she wanted mankind safe, but not out of the kindness of her heart. The Earth was still flooded with far too many egotistical apes for Cathay's liking, and if a few thousand died to the Depths she wouldn't even bat an eye. She only wished to preserve humanity long enough for them to defend themselves, without her machinations in play, and yet with the way Valerie was wording things it made it seem as though Cathay were actively going out of her way to defend the Earth. 


Strange…


"I have qualms about your methods," Valerie continued, unaware of her titanic girlfriend's confusion. "I mean, having your people attack other kingdoms. Domains. That’s majorly fucked up, but that's just your nature, and I imagine that's normal in the grand scheme of things right? I mean, I don’t think I could comprehend HALF of what goes on in your mind let alone the minds of others like you. That aside, you're still trying to keep us safe. Your home… your friends… Gilah and myself."


“I saw how you defended her. How you got angry for her sake. That’s kind. In a Depthborn sort of way, you care Cath.”


The Archfiend grew still. Her eyes widened in realization. A soft chuckle escaped her lips as her lips curled upward into a smile of satisfaction. 


"Clever Slug" she thought. 


Cathay finally caught on to the game the Pale God  was playing. 


"I suppose… it is…" she admitted, choosing to play along, acting as though sudden realization over her ‘unintentional actions’ played a role in her outrage against her council. "I wouldn’t stand idly by as they insulted a dear friend. Especially when I had made their duties clear."


Technically not a lie on her end. It was true that Cathay felt insulted that someone like Gilah could be seen as a weakness for her. Yes, the Archfiend did favor the Butcher over other souls in the Depths, but they were far from a weakness. She believes to have proved that point well in her punishment. 


The point remained though that Ordegash had painted a fairer picture of Cathay. Something which Valerie could latch on to and believed her beloved is acting out of genuine altruism. A clever strategy that would depict her in an almost benevolent light. Or at least one that allowed her to play into her nature as a Queen of the Kingdom most reviled. 


Credit given where it was due, Cathay hadn't thought of that possibility. Leave it to the Sole Order of the Depths to continue onward with plans of their own.


With that in mind, she may as well play her part. Wouldn’t wish to ruin whatever it was the pale Slug was cooking up. "Very well then," Cathay conceded with a smile. She sat upright, moving her legs above Valerie like great pillars before crossing them together. "Ordegash will be safe from my wrath. I'll even do you this favor and teach you a few spells. Things I know you can handle. Anything else, you’ll have to learn on your own. Deal?"


Valerie fell quiet. She needed some time to properly process what she had heard. It wasn’t long though until her hands rose to her lips, concealing a jovial gasp. “Wait… really? As in really, really?”


Cathay giggled softly, glad to see Valerie’s dour mood fade fast. “Yes. Really, really~.” 


The human could barely hold herself back from squealing in delight. Magic. She would be taught actual magic, even if they’d likely be basic spells compared to anything Cathay might do on a whim. Still, it was more than what she could have hoped for. But more than that, she’d be more readily able to help her cosmic girlfriend in matters that didn’t demand her focus. Smaller, homebound issues instead of the usual all-encompassing problems maintaining a kingdom entailed. It felt good. Even if just barely into the first step, this was progress Valerie was more than pleased to make. 


That meant her next steps in helping the Ruler would go by more smoothly. At least that was her hope. The council between Primordials brought up points of interest to the eldest Armitage, yet none more noteworthy than the calling out of Cathay’s first true companion. The Archfiend still cared for them greatly. That much was clear through their reaction. And yet they had not spoken in months since moving to Ravencroft. 


While it might not be her place to say, Valerie felt such an old relationship couldn’t continue in such a manner. She wondered just how she might fix such a wound. 


A matter for another day unfortunately, as the world that was Valerie’s bed began to shake with the massive Ruler’s movements. They laid back down, positioning themself in such a way that now they were fully conscious of their ‘vulnerability’. Confused at first, it wasn’t until the Armitage saw Cathay pointing towards the tome book by her side did she realize what was going on. 


“Your first lesson will be learning how to grow yourself back,” the Ruler explained. “Now, you can find some way to make the book smaller, or you can try and find the spell when it's full sized. The choice is yours. Just know, if you don’t manage it in time, I'll shrink you smaller and set you to rest on my body. That sound fair?”


Valerie was taken aback. “Wait, how long do I have?”


“Aright, go! I’ll tell you when time’s up~!” 


Looking between the goddess laying on the bed, and the monolithic book she was meant to scour in search of a spell, Valerie knew any further concerns of hers would go unanswered. She’d have to work on Gilah’s and Cathay’s friendship another time. 


Right now… she had much bigger problems to deal with. 

End Notes:

See? What'd I'd say, this one didn't take long at all. Granted, that's because it was nearly done with I posted Chapter 8. With these two posted now, and because they were both meant to serve as one chapter, the precursor to the finale is done. That leaves only chapter 10 left, and unlike 9 it doesn't have a head start. That said, hoping it won't take too long to finish. Til then, all y'all take care, eat well, pray to your Ruler of the Depths and leave a rating and review if you so wish. 

See ya!

Chapter 10: Mending by Viper07
Author's Notes:

The weight of guilt is heavier than many of us realize. More often than not, however, it is all in our head. In times it becomes clear that nothing was weighing us down at all. 

"Have you thought over what it is you wanna say?" Valerie asked as she stood behind her girlfriend, arm clutching theirs in an attempt to keep them composed. They seemed ready to fall like glass on stone; fragile and easily broken. Though could the Ruler really be blamed?



The sentiment, though appreciated, was proving ineffective. "I'm running all sorts of scenarios through my head, thinking about what I'll say, what I can do… but it all feels pointless."



There were few things the Archfiend of the Deep wasn’t capable of. Annihilating galaxies in one fell swoop, bringing ruin to innumerable planes of reality; whole separate universes of alien physics, wiping out life ad infinitum. All this she was capable of and more, and that was all before she even took to the throne of her Domain. Now, her potential was practically limitless. Though her restrictions were many, the things she could do were more than enough to shun even the most all-might of gods. Yet for whatever reason, when it came to making an apology, she found herself powerless. 



There were few moments in Cathay’s life which ended in her apologizing. More often than not, it was those of a lesser existence pleading, begging, for her forgiveness; never the other way around. Why, the amount of times she’s actually found herself in such a position she could most probably count on a single hand.  



But now to be here, in front of the Armitage Family Home on the other side of Ravencroft, waiting in the cold night, the Ruler found herself regretting the fact that she hasn’t had more experience in the department of simply apologizing.



She felt weak as a result. Both mentally and physically. 



Spineless. Cowardly. She wanted to delay this. Go home and better articulate her thoughts. It was pathetic.



It was expected. To look at the stars, to know she was above all that rested between them, only to feel lowlier than even the most inept of mankind. Humiliation at its most crippling. 



"Hey, there's no rushing these sorts of things," Valerie assured her cosmic lover. She noticed right away the thoughts that plagued their mind, and in a way understood them better than they might realize. She’s been in similar binds before, so who better than to show them the way?  "We take things in strides, remember? Tonight's the hard part. Ripping the Band-Aid off the wound. That first step is always going to be the most painful."




Again, Cathay was unconvinced. "This isn't something I'm used to. I don't just… apologize to people, Val. It's tiring… I feel tired… and I'm afraid that the first step I take will also end up as the last one."



"And that’s completely fine!” Considering what Valerie knew of her godly girlfriend, seeking forgiveness was far from something that might be seen as natural to her kind. No doubt there'd be many cosmic forces that'd have their jaws drop at such a sight. Not Valerie though. She's seen states like this before, where someone very much doubted the actions they were taking. More often than not she’d see such a person every time she looked in the mirror. But having moved past such moments in her life herself, the bold human was determined to only ever be supportive of her girlfriend. "The more you stress over this the more it’s going to hurt. It can be painful, I’m not going to lie about that. But it can also be liberating. It’s a coin toss really on what you’ll feel in the end, and that’s what makes all this so tiring."



Valerie waited for a response. She hoped her words would at least calm the surprisingly fragile Overlord. When it didn’t seem as though they held much reaction over it though, a second course of action was necessary. The human giggled, recalling the events of the previous night, when Cathay was more ‘energetic’, free of the worry she felt now. 



"Of course… after what I did to you last night, and with the state you were in afterwards, it's no wonder you're feeling so weak right now~.”



Even at three inches tall the human still had a fire unlike any other. Despite bearing a presence more befitting of a Ruler's status, her true self, Cathay was like putty in the miniscule woman's hands. So easily did she melt then that there was no way she could deny any claims against the possibility. 



Cathay laughed softly, silently, as she gave Valerie a light shove. "You are unbearable at times!” She exclaimed with a hushed tone. Her eyes shined brighter as she remembered how fierce her Star was. A trait she admired immensely. “You realize this, yes?."



"Come on, admit it. You know you love that about me."



The Ruler couldn't deny that anymore than she could deny her weakened state. She’s annihilated far greater beings for far lesser crimes, and yet she allowed a human to persist despite having physically brought her so low. What greater form of affection was there for one of the Depths’ own original flesh and blood. 



"Of course I do."



Valerie's first "lesson" in the school of magic went about as well as one might expect. The shrunken human had spent more time trying to flip through the pages of her newly acquired, blasphemous spellbook than actually practicing a form of magic that would return her to her original height. Of course Cathay was no help at all,  choosing to instead lay on her back without a care in the world. The whole event of watching her beloved Star struggle was amusing, and though she knew she should act as the good ‘mentor’ she favored watching them push through their infinitesimal size. Quickly however, she learned that even at three inches it was still Valerie who held the reins in their relationship. 



When it became apparent that the Queen of the Depths wasn't going to be of aid in teaching the necessary spell, Valerie took matters into her own hands. Though limited in arcane insight, the eldest Armitage still possessed many tricks of her own, and while the Ruler's attention was elsewhere, the shrunken human had forced herself in between their legs. The act was sudden, and in Cathay's desire to allow her Star the chance to figure things out for themselves they were caught unawares. As such, she needed to exercise complete control over her body so as not to not harm her little girlfriend. 



Valerie's own form of punishment for the carefree tyrant. 



She won't deny that it was hard work. The pressure was unbearable, and the heat even more so. Teasing the smaller human had been a prelude for Cathay’s rising adoration, and already she proved to be slick in carnal cravings. It was like crawling through a flesh lined cave, ever drenched and ready to collapse around you at a moment’s notice. But the conditions of such exploration did not hinder Valerie’s performance. If anything, they only served to aid her in bringing her girlfriend a much craved release. In the end, and against such skill, Cathay was reduced to a mess, and though she was positively covered in her girlfriend's juices, Valerie crawled free, fully bearing the glory of dominating a goddess while stuck at a pinky's height. 



Of course, the retribution the human delivered onto the Primordial then was nothing compared to what she did directly after, once she had been returned to their full size. There are not many who can say they had a god bent over their bed, forced to suffer having both of their backdoors violated in ways that would make even a devil cry. Cathay was no meager goddess, obviously. She was one of the few who stood above all things in creation. A queen of totality; and even then, among those numbers, she stood above the ‘common rabble’, at the highest of stations within the cosmos. A greater Ruler. A moniker of status only shared by so few others, two in total, and only within leading Domains. 



Yet even with that in mind she still bent over all the same, like a good little pooch obeying their master, crying out Valerie's name. They were made to plead, to beg, for mercy. One of the few times they’ve apologized, and they were forced to do so on shaking legs until their loving tormentor was satisfied. 



Though the task of learning lessons was forgotten, the time spent to make up for that which was lost was MORE than enough to become etched into Cathay's mind. Burned into her memories, it would not be easily forgotten. Not this century, or a million others to follow afterward. 



The delicious deliverance of torture was such that even now, to have such memories brought to the surface, was enough to make the Ruler's legs weak again. Coupled with her already frail state and the flooding of sensations nearly forced Cathay on her knees. A momentary reprieve from any building worry she had. 



Thankfully, as always, Valerie was there to hold her firm.



"Easy there, Love." Despite being only human, Valerie's strength was formidable. Enough that she could hold the majority of Cathay's weight by herself; a boon no doubt brought about from a healthy lifestyle. Despite her literary profession, Valerie was an active soul who kept herself in shape, a stark contrast to Cathay who didn't exercise much effort to keep up her appearance. It was an easy task to keep one’s physical form pristine, that is if you possessed mastery over matter manipulation. A luxury the human did not possess, and as such she required the older methods of keeping up with appearances. It’s worked out well for her, Cathay can attest to that. Because of this, it was a simple task to keep the Queen of the Deep from falling over. "We wouldn't want anyone finding you on your knees in front of me, now would we? Who knows what they might think?"



A tantalizing thought to be sure, putting her tongue to work out here in the cold night air, underneath the stars. An idea for the future no doubt. In the present however, it would have to be ignored. 



"Let them watch," Cathay urged as she stood up, quickly regaining her strength. Momentary fatigue such as this couldn’t keep her down forever. No sooner after she got up was Valerie relieved of the duty of supporting her girlfriend's weight. Still, even if she could stand without difficulty, the Ruler refused to let go of her human obsession. Instead, they pulled them in closer, until Valerie felt her chest just beneath Cathay's. "I don't mind giving them a show… so long as they understand you belong to me."



There it was, that confidence Cathay needed tonight. Seen clearly in her actions, all she needed was a little push in the right direction. The Ruler used her height to her advantage, using it to lord over Valerie at this moment. Though the human was more than capable of making her squeal, these moments of temporary reversal were enjoyed. 



"Smooth talker, aren’t you? Did you save that line for me, or was it meant to get me in the mood for later?" 



"Perhaps," Cathay leaned in forward, lowering herself slightly so that her head, her lips, reached her dear Lover’s. "Though who said anything about later~?"



There would be no complaints from Valerie. They weren’t even sure Cathay would allow them. Regardless, before the Archfiend could react, their beloved human had already planted their lips against hers. 



The embrace was tender, warm, and grew increasingly more suggestive the longer it persisted. Despite earlier comments of anonymity when out in the open, Valerie had no issue reaching around back to cop a feel. The Archfiend's ample rear was her coveted goal, a handful of ass to grope at her leisure. She did so without care or worry of the door in front of the two of them, already forgetting the fact that she stood in front of her family home. There wasn’t even a thought spared to what sort of explanation would be given were the door to open. It was intoxicating, the knowledge that out of all beings in the whole of creation, only she was allowed the honor of being with someone as powerful as the Archfiend. Crown Killer, The Deep Drake, the Tyrant of the Deep Wastes. A thousand different titles for a woman impossibly old; and she was all Valerie’s



Similarly, Cathay found herself greatly enjoying the spirituous moment. To think that a lowly species such a man could produce someone so… exquisite. It was wonderful, and the Ruler couldn’t help but have her tongue snake its way into her Beloved's mouth; exploring every corner it had to hide and then some. It stretched forward. Lower. Further and farther than any normal tongue had a right to. It stretched downward, extending in length, exploring Valerie's throat in full and depriving them of much needed air. The deepest of kisses that brought a crimson shade to the human's cheeks, as well as a wave of heat that flooded her whole body. Immediately, Valerie’s entire being was seized, and she soon found herself wishing for the night to end. Later… all good things would come later. This feeling would have to be saved. 



But so wonderful were the sensations that both women wished for this one moment to freeze, so that they may continue on for just a while longer. Cathay even considered doing so… up until she heard the front door open. 



Valerie froze, fearing the worst. 



Trying to pull away, she found her strength lacking; a result of Cathay's breathtaking kiss. The Ruler either wasn't aware of the sudden onlooker or simply did not care. Either way, they refused to relinquish this pleasure until they were satisfied. A feat that was normally quick to achieve for Valerie, but at this time it seemed she was more likely to pass out from exhaustion. 



Understanding their Lover’s predicament, reluctantly, Cathay pulled away from her little kiss. Slowly; putting on a display of her long, serpentine tongue slithering out from her Star’s throat and back into her own maw. 



"Now… now that's… a kiss!" The winded human exclaimed. Her whole body was shaking. Throbbing with pleasure. Her esophagus itched, and in a way longed for its slimy, intrusive invader once more. "Forget safety… that shit was awesome…" 



They would have to learn what else Cathay's tongue could do. 



For now… they had their surprise watcher to deal with. At first, Cathay was confident it was Jason. A part of the reason why she wished to put on a display such a passionate moment. A form of revenge for the trouble he caused her in the past. Nothing truly ill-intended, the youngest Armitage was likely aware of Valerie and Cathay’s relationship. It was a jab for taking Gilah away, nothing more. But as the Ruler wiped her arm across her lips to be rid of any excess spittle, as her eyes met the gaze of the rather impressed observer, her black heart skipped a beat. 



Several, in fact.



"Soooo…" Gilah rocked back and forth on her socked feet, watching silently and waiting for the two lovebirds to finish their little face-sucking session. "You two having fun?"



Cautiously, Cathay scanned the Mako Warrior, taking in what was now such a pedestrian sight for one so feared. In one hand, the Leviathan held a mixing bowl filled with brown batter. In the other, an egg beater to stir whatever treat she had been preparing before checking what was making all that racket behind her front door. 



Her mundane clothing was covered in various stains, along with the Mako's blue hair, which had been tied back into a ponytail. An attempt to no doubt to minimize the mess of whatever it was they were attempting to bake, though from the stains seen even there it was clear they were unsuccessful. Making must still be a new challenge to the once feared Butcher of the Deep. 



The proverbial cherry on top, however, was an apron that did well to hide away the Leviathan's Olympian figure. Behind that garb of basic cloth and clothing lay the physique of a warrior, one who has stared down gods, devils, and nearly all other manner of horrors at a comparatively young age. Beauty and brutality in one fine mold that now brandished, in bold, the phrase 'Fear the Cook'. 



A… less than respectable tether to the terror that was Gilah, and admittedly a smudge on her reputation were any of the Depths to see her. Despite that possibility though, it was still her. The fighter that had stood directly at the Archfiend's side during her ascension into true sovereignty. Cathay's first true companion… as well as her first crush. 



Her first friend.



Changed, but still the same soul she knew. Smiling even, in spite of their rightfully ridiculous attire. 



And they were just witness to Cathay deep throating the sister of the man who had claimed her heart. Oh joy… 



"I… uh…" the Ruler was speechless. Her previous concerns were rushing back to the forefront of her mind, forcing a nervous sweat to trail down her forehead and across her nose, eventually loosening her sunglasses without her realizing. It wasn't until Valerie gave Cathay a pat on the back did her senses return to her, and even then it was just to allow for a single, shaky word. 



"H… hi…" 



Silence at first, uncomfortable and unbearable. Then… laughter. 



Gilah couldn't contain herself. Against her better judgment, and despite the clear alarm in Cathay’s eyes, she couldn't stop herself from laughing. A cute, controlled, chuckle that strangely enough helped to ease away any growing tension. An immediate remedy brought through joviality. Placing the egg beater into the mixing bowl so as to free up a hand, Gilah repositioned her old friend’s shades back on her face. 



"Hey"



She wasn't scared, or concerned, or taken aback at all by the Ruler's sudden appearance. Gilah was completely unphased. A stark contrast to Cathay whose mind was momentarily taken for a spin at the Mako's nonchalant demeanor. She even seemed comfortable despite the sight she just saw.



“It’s been awhile, Cath.”



Were Cathay to be honest, she wasn't exactly sure of what to expect from her old friend. There were a myriad of emotions that could have possibly risen for this very reunion. Anger, perhaps, or many even denial over the Ruler wishing to become a part of her age old companion’s life again. It would feel deserved considering how she acted when last they were together. But the absolute furthest thing Cathay had expected was the peaceful expression she was currently looking at.. 



"Hey there Homewrecker," Valerie chirped in; an attempt to draw Cathay's mind away from its growing confusion. It worked, if only slightly, aiding in turning Gilah's gaze away from the still recovering couple. She averted her eyes, not out of embarrassment but more so fear. The Mako rubbed the back of their head knowingly, already keenly aware of the reason as to why she would be given such a name. "How's my Baby Brother? You know? The one you kidnapped. Is he inside?"



Of course Gilah wouldn't offer any sort of argument. Valerie was… essentially right on the money in her claim. Any jab delivered was rightfully deserved, as she had indeed essentially kidnapped the Human's younger sibling. Love makes a Depthborn do many crazy things it would seem, and dragging a person into the domain of the Deep was apparently one of them. 



"He's wrapping up with the cooking," Gilah replied, trying her hardest to keep away from making direct eye contact with Valerie. She's already been on the receiving end of the woman's verbal lashings, and so knew better than to test their ire when it could be avoided. While Valerie has stated on several occasions that Gilah’s and Jason’s relationship was allowed, as she wouldn’t go against her brother’s wishes, the young Leviathan wasn’t looking to take any chances. For once, she felt like the one in the shark tank. "Meatloaf and ribeye,” The meat-loving Mako explained.  “The loaf’s homemade. I was baking a cake until I… uhm… 



“Heard what you two were doing behind the door...." 



Gilah's senses were far sharper than that of any humans. Even superior to those of her own ilk. As different as an ember on a match was to a furnace. Unless her senses were tricked beforehand, she'd clearly be able to hear what Cathay and Valerie were up to. A fact that the Ruler had admittedly overlooked.



Just the idea that Gilah could hear everything said between the two, as well as what came after, was nearly enough to make Cathay desire to just shrink down and hide herself away. 



"I'll take that then~," Despite the embarrassment the Ruler faced, Valerie still took Gilah's arrival as her needed sign to head on into the house. Scooping the bowl away from the Mako, she decided it best to leave the Depthborn to their own issues. "You two can join in whenever you’ve caught up with each other. As for me, I'm going to check in with my lil brother. See if he needs any help." 



In truth, Valerie thought it best to allow Cathay and Gilah the chance to mend what they needed to themselves. Heal any wounds between them, though she suspected the one suffering from any deeper ailments was her beloved. While the possibility that Gilah likely had things she wished to get off her chest too, much of the baggage fell on Cathay. Of that there was no doubt. They were overthinking things terribly, and as much as Valerie wished she could stay to hold the Ruler’s hand though this… some things needed to be done alone.



This battle belonged to Cathay. 



Of course the Archfiend was completely against the idea, especially when in such a mentally vulnerable position. Unfortunately for her, it was already too late. Even she couldn't force Valerie back once they've made up their mind. Walking away to help her brother with what remained of cooking was no doubt a ploy the human used to give Gilah and Cathay space. If anything, Valerie was more likely to retrieve a cold one from the fridge rather than be of any use. 



As Valerie walked away, Cathay could have sworn they looked back one last time with their thumbs raised. A mocking form of motivation.



Lovely…



That left the two leviathans with only each other, and once more all that stood between the two of them was horrific silence. It dragged on for what felt like an eternity, neither woman really sure of what to say let alone do. Neither Gilah or Cathay had ever really been in a situation like this, the closest being the events that transpired months ago; When the two had last seen each other, making their separate decision to live on Earth with their lovers.  



They hadn't spoken since then, though each knew the other was but a phone call away. A matter of regret for Cathay, as well as one of guilt. Deep in her gut she knew she should have reached out during the time she's been on this planet of primitive apes, yet all she's done is hide away in Valerie's apartment. Call it fear, for that is what it was. The terrifying Archfiend was afraid, unwilling to run the risk that the first real connection she had with another living being had been severed. Ruined. Through her own actions, and because of her temper. 



She was afraid of the possibility that were she to see Gilah, they would want nothing to do with her.



And even were such a thing to be untrue, even if Cathay's fears were entirely unfounded, the guilt still ate away at her. So much so that she was already more than willing to throw in the towel. She would be spared from greater disappointment that way.



That is, until she heard a whistle from the young warrior. 



"Look at yoooou~," Cathay was so caught up in her many thoughts that she hadn't even realized… Gilah was taking in her form’s appearance. Admiring its beauty, its height: everything. "Looking GOOD, Cath! I'm amazed you decided to keep that disguise. I thought you would have dumped it by now."



In truth, there were days she forgot she was even wearing a disguise. Skin constructed to blend in amongst the masses of mankind. While understandably disgusted by it at first, being forced to appear as some lesser creature, through Valerie's thorough aid she was able to eventually walk as comfortably as though it were the skin of her true self. At times even, the two felt synonymous.  



Still, the very last comment Cathay would have expected was one regarding her current physical form. Appraisal no less, and even now Gilah was admiring her Ruler’s body as though it were some fine piece of art.



Flattering, and strangely uplifting. 



A glimmer of hope. Perhaps Cathay's own imagination truly was beginning to get the better of her. 



Maybe she was blowing the whole situation out of proportion. She knew Gilah. Perhaps better than the Mako knew herself in some ways, given their history together. Despite her worries, Cathay understood them to be of a kind soul now. Far from the beast they were in their youth. Likely, they have already forgiven the Archfiend out of genuine altruism, and a hope to improve their relationship. Evolve it to this new life of theirs. Just as was the rules of the Depths. Adapt and overcome. 



Whatever the case was, it felt good. To see Gilah speak so plainly, so nonchalantly when others would step carefully. It worked wonders in putting Cathay's mind at ease, even if by some small margin. 



Guilt still remained, of course, but that didn't mean she couldn't play along. 



"Well of course I would!" Cathay proudly announced with a flick of her wrist and flip of her hair; assuming an air of superiority. Something befitting one of her position. "I need to give the humans something to feel good about, don't I? This disguise is finer than anything mankind could produce naturally, even if it is just human skin. Weak. Vulnerable. Ripe with flaws. Why, they should feel honored I'm lowering myself to their level! Regardless of how this form may appear, mankind should still feel privileged that I've chosen to walk among them as some flea ridden ape."



Gilah leaned in closely, catching the Ruler off-guard and breaking her spew of eminency. A coy smile was plastered across her lips. "You can act the part all you want, but we both know you don’t really think that. That is, unless you truly believe some skin suit’s beyond the beauty of someone like… Valerie perhaps?" The Mako clicked her tongue in disapproval, shaking her head as some doting parent might do. "Tsk, tsk, tsk Cathay. And here I thought she had you wrapped around her finger. Made you her sweet little 'Catty Cathy'. Or  at least that's what I’ve heard, from the texts she's sent to Jason."



Cathay felt her face flush red, the very notion that Gilah was aware of hers and Valerie's foreplay being too much to bear. What was more, she couldn't even deny it. The longer the Ruler found herself quiet, looking away in embarrassment, the more time Gilah had to understand she was right on point with her observation. And to top it all off, Cathay dared to say her allure outshined that of her beautiful Star's. An unintentional insult that she needed to take back.



Of course said Star also chose to grant the Ruler of the Depths a less than savory nickname, as well as divulge sensitive information. So there was that. Words would be had with Valerie again no doubt, though the odds were any punishment delivered would go as well as the last set. Not too off-putting of an idea really.



Despite the rising embarrassment she felt, Cathay found herself smiling, strangely enough. Softly at first, until her smirk gave way to a defeated chuckle. "I suppose she does have me at her beck and call, yes? Of course you are correct, Valerie is the superior beauty. That was a regrettable error on my part." Cathay relented, quickly accepting second place if it meant her beautiful Star could be placed above her. A spot deserving of one who knew how to dominate a queen. "But can you even compare her to lesser humans? Not taking her family’s mental fortitude into question, she's plainly wonderful. So much so that I'm more than willing to admit that some humans DO have… favorable qualities. Of course such numbers are a hundred million to one.” 



Though she would not admit it verbally… such numbers included Jason as well. Gilah chose her mate well, Cathay will give them that.   



The Ruler’s smile grew wider. "Of course, you're no stranger to beauty yourself. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that body of yours has changed since last I saw you. I never would have thought you'd attempt physical alterations without my aid."



The Ruler took this chance to gloss over the whole of Gilah's body, taking into account how much the leviathan has changed in such a short amount of time. Not only had her size remained steady at a solid height of five foot eight, but they've also improved on their ability to hide away any concerning Depthborn features. 



Their titanic size of fifteen hundred feet for starters, obviously, but also their fins, their tail, and the scales that normally covered sections of the Mako's body. All gone. Only her gills, claws and teeth remained; along with the crimson eyes that had been given to her through the Sole Order of the Depths, Ordegash. Despite how odd they may appear to the common bystander, with some preparation such features could easily be hidden away.. 



It was an impressive feat given Gilah's previous inability to alter her body in any meaningful way. A necessary skill to learn if she was to live on Earth. Help was required at first, and granted by Ordegash. 



That old slug really did have a hand in a great many changes. 



But afterwards it was Cathay who lended aid. Altered a deal that would have deprived Gilah of her true nature as one of the Deep. That was no way for one to live. Nothing should have to lie to themselves for peace of mind. Still, despite the odds she faced then, Gilah had grown fast. Far faster than some might expect in a time frame of only a few months. And she was still young too. Ripe with potential if this little bodily alteration was anything to go by. 



It was honestly rather inspiring. The growing potential of those still young. 



"Not bad. Not bad at all."



That said, nothing Gilah could do held a candle when compared to the modifications Cathay was capable of making to her own form. Seamless and without effort, it was thanks to her own skills and power that the younger leviathan was even able to attain the ability to return to her own original size at will; a skill granted should a situation that requires it present itself. Regardless, what Gilah accomplished in such a short amount of time, after having deprived herself of the carnage which grants Depthborn eventual strength, was worthy of praise. 



But despite this achievement, Cathay was still willing to outshine the far younger legend. 



Blinking a few times, the Ruler's normally molten, red hot eyes transitioned from their natural, eldritch indication to shining gems of wondrous blue. A simple action that required absolutely no effort on her part "You've still got a ways to go though, Gilah, if you plan on doing anything this seamless~."



The Mako quickly found herself in awe at the sight. She's seen Cathay alter her form many, many times in the past. She's seen them at the natural largest, as well as their smallest self in the present. In truth, something this menial was nothing in comparison. Yet no matter how often she saw it, to see Cathay's mastery in fields which had troubled her was nothing sort of a spectacle.



Her awe fell fast though, and whatever smile the Mako had softened. She rubbed the back of her head again; nervous. Unsure if she should say what she had on her mind. 



"Yes, well… It's a little hard to pick up new tricks." Gilah admitted as she turned her crimson eyes away from her ancient companion. "Especially when you haven't spoken to the one person who could give you advice in months." 



There it was. The crux of Cathay's worries. Gilah was kind, yes, but she wasn't blind to the Ruler's absence in her life. Though distance between the two wasn't anything new, as their own paths in the Deep kept them separate at times, this instance of self imposed silence wasn't going to remain ignored. By Cathay's own decision she refused to see Gilah up until tonight. And that was only through Valerie's undeniable insistence and persistence.



Guilt returned, and with it Cathay found herself unsure of what to do. There were so many things that she wished to get off her chest. From old feelings of adoration, to the admittance that Gilah was right in choosing to live on Earth. It was honestly better for them. Jason, Ravencroft, the life she could live here was only ever going to be a benefit. Cathay would ensure that. There were so many things that needed to be said, but one stood out amongst the rest. 



"Gilah, I'm sor-"



"Really Cathay! I mean come on!" Gilah did not give the Archfiend the opportunity to apologize. Once they made the decision to speak out there was nothing out in the cosmos that could stop them. "You KNOW magic isn't my strong suit. Changing my body's features ain't the same as moving stars, and as it so happens I'm quite bad at both!"



Cathay recalled Gilah pulling off such a feat. Rearranging stars in the night sky to impress her dear Jason. She’s also quite certain that not long after leaving the planet they hung over, those very same gaseous balls of plasma quite literally fell from the sky. Such an unfortunate event that could have likely been prevented had Cathay chosen to offer some help.




Gilah hadn't even noticed the fact that they cut the Ruler off from what they wished to say. Or rather, they didn't much care as instead they wanted only to rant at an old friend.  



"You've got some explaining to do, Missy! Leaving me all high and dry, making me figure things out by myself! By your crown, Cath, I wasn't even certain you'd come here tonight! I have things I need to tell you but I wasn’t sure if I’d get that chance!”



Cathay felt the corner of her lips rise again, curling into a smile. Though she didn't get to say her peace… this felt better. There were few beings bold enough to keep the Ruler from speaking, and fewer still who could walk away from such actions. Just allowing Gilah to talk, have them speak their mind when it was rightfully deserved… 



It felt good. 



"Yes, I do suppose this fool of a fiend has much to explain," Cathay admitted with a chuckle. "And much to apologize for as well. Preferably over dinner if that pleases you?"



Gilah pondered the request for a moment. It didn’t take long at all for her to accept the possibility with a nod and smile. 



“But before that, you said you had something you wanted to tell me? What would it be, if you don't mind me being so bold as to ask."



Cathay hoped it was nothing bad. In her absence there was no telling just what sort of things could have happened to Gilah, now that she was living a relatively mundane life. While there was none on this planet that could really prove a threat to the Mako Warrior, the Depths has set its sights on Earth. There would be breaches, that was an inevitability. Once even a single whelp has marked a world, nothing would stop their eventual advance. It was the makings for a potential invasion, a fate the Archfiend wished to prepare humanity for. Largely it was in part to keep her close friend safe. 



Already two whelps had fought their way to the surface, though one dispatched the other not long before being killed themselves. While there was doubt that Gilah had the strength to handle herself, and possessed the potential size to match most any trespasser, the less they had to worry about the better. 



Any worries were dashed the moment Cathay’s eyes began to wander. Gilah wasn’t looking at her. Their eyes refused to meet theirs as a blush fell upon them. Confused at first, it wasn’t until the Ruler noticed the Mako’s hands upon her stomach did she begin to piece together the embarrassing information. 



To be precise, she immediately spotted the metal band that was wrapped around the fourth finger of their right hand. 



“Is that…” Cathay felt the air in her lungs leave her body. Were her wings to be outstretched they would have fluttered. Most telling of all was, despite having just changed them, her eyes shifted between blue and molten red before resting on the latter once more. Her whole body tingled with boundless jubilation. “No way…”



“Gilaaaah!” Before the former Butcher understood what was happening, she found herself in Cathay’s arms, lifted off of her feet. The Ruler was overjoyed. “Jason proposed!? That’s wonderful news!!!” 



Though her opinion on the youngest Armitage was generally kinder than that which was given to the rest of mankind, Cathay still held minor resentment towards him; if that wasn’t already clear to see from her stunt in deepthroating Valerie. Jason had taken her first love, there was no sugar coating that. He had succeeded in winning over the heart of someone Cathay had known for thousands of years. In a fraction of time so small by comparison that his year long efforts may as well have been a mote of dust in some vast ocean. 



But were it not for him, Cathay would have never met Valerie.



And he did promise to give Gilah the life she deserved. A life better than anything she might have had with a Primal that only knew how to dominate and destroy. For that, Cathay was grateful regardless of her opinions. Now, to see her dear friend with a ring around her finger, knowing this human wanted to treat Gilah with all the love he could give; it was nearly enough to move the Archfiend to tears. 



Caught by surprise, Gilah’s mind was still processing the fact that she was being hugged. By Cathay no less. Had… they ever actually hugged before? Their lives were so long that she wasn’t exactly certain. It was odd. Not unwelcomed, but certainly quite strange to be hugged by one so feared. “That’s… not actually what I wanted to tell you.”



“I mean… eventually I would have!” the Leviathan tried to explain as she was still held up high. “But it didn’t feel as important when compared to the other thing. I mean… it’s still important, I guess, but kinda… less so?”


“There’s more!?!”



Placing Gilah down, Cathay’s head turned in every direction, sometimes in unnatural degrees, trying her hardest to find anything that may be out of place with her friend. They failed to see what may be more incredible than Gilah and Jason officially tying down the knot. 



That is, until the Mako gestured downward towards her stomach.    



It took some time to register. At first Cathay couldn’t make heads or tails of what her friend was trying to imply. Things really only began to make sense the second she peered a little further into what they could possibly mean. There she found it, or rather heard. The soft, slow beating of hearts yet developed. Potential yet to be born. The earliest signs of life taking root. 



Cathay’s elation only continued to rise the longer she looked. “How long?”


“Three weeks now. Jason and I found out not too long ago.” Gilah watched as Cathay’s jaw just dropped. “We kind of thought you and Valerie would want to know before I'm too far along in it. You… both of you really… deserved to-.”



“OF COURSE I’D WANNA KNOW!!!” 



Children… Offspring…



Little terrors of the Deep born of Jason and Gilah’s union.



Both thoughts seemed an impossibility in Cathay’s own impossible mind, yet here she was listening as her age old companion explained the fact that… she was expecting. 



“Wait, did you say you knew for THREE weeks? That hardly gives us any time!”



Of course this brought on a whole slew of different complications the couple would have to deal with in the future. Raising Depthborn children was no easy task. Hell, if anything there wasn’t a single being in the Deep that could be considered an award winning parent. Trying to dine on your own offspring was unlikely to win any awards, and as a result newborn whelps were aggressive to a fault; genetically geared towards surviving in even the most harsh of environments. They were filled with as much energy any one creature could possess, and proved so incredibly fast in their development. They grew up quickly, reaching a point where they can fend for themselves in only a few years. Given the fact that any Depthborn could live endlessly so long as they had meat to dine on, that was a remarkably speedy rate of growth. 



It was all so that they may better defend themselves in time. The Depths are ruthless, and so creatures that called the domain their home needed to grow up fast. Coupled together with the already tiresome traits of human offspring, which itself already made regular parenting an uphill battle, and you’ve got a recipe for offspring unlike any other. 



But no matter how difficult those little terrors proved to be, regardless of how busy she was, Cathay was determined to remain by her friend’s side all the way. 



The Ruler took her companion’s hands in her own, holding them tightly. “Anything! Anything you need just say the word! Money! A place to relax! Or even just someone to look over the kids! Just name it!”



Gilah smiled, amused to see Cathay so full of energy at this revelation. They were taking the news far better than she could have hoped for, even appearing as though she were ready to break out in song. There was no doubt in her mind that this arose out of the Ruler’s need to make it up to one who she believed she had wronged, but also out of genuine affection towards her closest friend. Not passionate love anymore, that all belonged to Valerie, but more the love one feels when they are with a person whom they simply cannot do without. 



Familial in a way. Sisterly. 



Still, despite the genuine appreciation Gilah had for the gesture of generosity, a lot of what Cathay could offer her would amount to unnecessary luxuries. That is not the life she wished to live. She wanted her kids to have a family they could rely on, yes, but she wouldn’t spoil them silly. That would just make things worse, especially should they grow to not value the fragility of lesser life.


“How about just being my friend? Think that’s something you can manage?”


“Absolutely!” 



Any fears Cathay might have had were gone. Gilah washed it all away through her general kindness. She felt a fool to have worried so much, yet nothing could have prepared her for the two possibilities she had heard tonight. 



“By my crown Gilah, we have so much to prepare for!” The Ruler took her companion by the arm, attempting to drag them into the house so that they could discuss further over dinner. “We’ve got your wedding to plan out for starters; need to make it the best damn ceremony the multiverse has seen. And then your kids won’t be here for another year probably, so we’ll definitely need to plan ahead for them. That is, unless you want your little terrors to tear through your womb and stomach, which I highly doubt.” 



She was buzzing. Cathay couldn’t recall a point in her life where she was this excited. Including her ventures in bed with Valerie, this felt special over all other things. Of course the eldest Armitage would understand, as such news was nothing to scoff at. No doubt Jason would tell her in time, or perhaps Gilah would tell the both of them again during dinner. Whatever the case was, Cathay just would not stop. 



As she made her way inside, she saw both Jason and her Star looking her way; each with a ridiculous smile on their faces. Just like before, Valerie gave the Ruler a thumbs up, already aware of their highly improved mood. No doubt she had seen everything from a distance, trying to listen in on any little bit of information she could pick up on. This time though, she was joined by her younger brother, the duo serving to act as a source of appreciated annoyance towards Cathay’s positive progress. She promptly flipped the both of them off, Valerie specifically for leaving her alone. When she looked at Jason though, her middle finger retracted. 



Musing on the effect he has had on Gilah, the Ruler relented. He has only ever really been a benefit for her. The mate she needed for the life she wanted, and though there have been a few headaches born of Jason’s existence, his salubrious nature could not be denied. 



She met the siblings with a thumbs up of her own. A signal that all was well for now. 



Before she could make her way in though, Cathay was stopped. Turning back she found Gilah unmoving, amused and smiling, but not yet ready to head inside. 



“Slow down a bit, Cath. You’re jumping ahead to a lot of things WAY too fast.” the Mako remarked. “Not to say I don’t love that energy, but we can talk about any wedding plans later. It doesn’t have to be today.”


“As for my pregnancy… Jason and I already have that figured out.”



“How so?” Unless there was a human doctor that knew how to deliver two whelp offsprings, while also keeping their mother alive, Cathay didn’t see this panning out well. 



As if on cue, a car pulled up to the Family Home’s driveway. 



Gilah poked her head through the front doorway, looking for her husband to be. “JASON! DONOVAN JUST PULLED UP!”



The second eldest of the Armitage family, and the only one to have moved away from Ravencroft completely. Cathay only knew what she was told by Valerie, and understood the human's reasons for leaving the city. Unlike his siblings, Donovan caught onto Ravencroft's stranger aspects early on in life, and they only became more keenly aware of them as they grew older. Not on a level similar to Jason, where old sea tales were believed, but more a feeling that something was always off about their childhood home. Not quite as oblivious as his sister was to the obvious, Donovan took adulthood as the chance to get away from it all. The strangeness of the city, the tales of the sea, and the disappearance of his younger brother. 



They haven’t been home in a few good years, and while the middle child of the Amritage trio no doubt came back to Ravencroft in part due to Jason's return, Cathay had the feeling that there was more to their visit than that. 



Such suspicions were confirmed, as the moment Donovan exited his vehicle Cathay found herself assaulted by an odious wave. A growing scent of iron accompanied by the overpowering smell of carrion meat. Flesh and bones that've been left to decay in the sun. An… admittedly appealing aroma to those who dined on such things, Depthborn among such numbers. Checking to see if Gilah had picked up on the sensation as well, Cathay stopped herself the moment she felt was… off. 



The Mako honed in on it as well. She could tell something was off putting here. Though Donovan was a plain looking man, the shortest of his siblings but in no way lacking their pleasant features, he absolutely reeked of death. 



But he didn’t serve as its source. 



It became clear that whatever was assaulting Cathay's senses was coming from inside their car; and Donovan was trying with all their might to get whatever was in there to step out. Though she could see the human well enough through her sight beyond sight, it was their companion that eluded Cathay's vision. 



She could not hear nor see them as clearly as she should, and the longer she focused on the area within the vehicle the less Cathay found herself able to actually view anything. Not unlike the blind space a Ruler might focus on when trying to observe a Calamity, the area the Archfiend couldn't look at was fuzzy. Like a cloud or fog, she couldn’t see past its outer layer.  



Strange



This was no form of concealment. No spell in effect. There was no magic in the cosmos that could keep at bay a Ruler’s sight. Not unless it was deprived from Cathay’s ruinous tablets. 



It was a struggle to be sure to see what eluded Cathay. 



And from the look of things, Donovan wasn’t faring any better. It appeared as though they were losing out in a contest of strength, failing to pull free something that just did not wish to cooperate. 



From her spot Cathay could see him well enough. Darker hair, though on the reddish side like his brother and sister. Short, as already stated, easily dwarfed by the likes of his siblings; yet in spite of that, the Ruler could tell the human was of a stoic nature. Calm and determined, which was a boon as any physical strength Donovan could have had was clearly inherited unto Jason rather than himself. 



An unfortunately needed trait as whoever or whatever was in the car proved to be leagues stronger than the short human. It wasn't until a different approach was taken, and some gentle coaxing was exercised, that they were finally able to persuade their unseen companion to finally come out. 



Cathay was confused. The one that stepped from the car was only just a woman. Unimpressive, just like the rest that weren’t her Valerie. 



Donovan's wife perhaps. Another human Valerie had told her about, though only through allusions really. Considered to be more of the quiet sort, Cathay only knew them to be a doctor of great skill. A master in the medical field, as well as versed in various forms of therapy. Physical, mental, and spiritual; which she found odd for a medical professional. 



That said, they remained remarkably unimpressive. An ape of any worth was still an ape after all, and though there was a clear physical appeal to be seen of them, Cathay will admit they were far too short for her liking. Though their platinum blond and deep blue eyes were worthy of attention, maybe even adoration, their apparent height of only five feet three inches was below that of even an average human. They proved to be even shorter than Donovan. Subpar, the both of them.



At the very least the woman boasted a taste for professionalism, wearing the most refined attire Cathay had seen of a primate so far.



Of course, not taking her Star into consideration. 



That said, something felt off about the woman. The longer Cathay looked at them the more it became clear that they were the cloud which fogged her vision. In turn, as the woman looked in the Ruler’s direction, it was seen that they were afraid. Of her. Shaking in their boots, unable to stand without aid.  



The small little human could barely even look at Cathay without appearing as though she were ready to throw up. Something which her husband immediately picked up on. Taking action quickly, a kind trait for a family man to possess, Donovan guided his seemingly sick wife towards the house. 



As the duo got closer though, the odious scent continued to grow. Soon, Cathay found all the pieces falling into place. She understood more and more as the connections were made. Donovan's wife was greater than she appeared to be. Much like Gilah. Much like Cathay herself. Another trespasser on this weak little world. 



Something far beyond the understanding of humanity. 



Donovan stopped before Cathay, looking at her with his hand stretched outward in greeting. When it quickly became obvious the Ruler wouldn't shake his hand he instead turned to Gilah who graciously acknowledged their presence. 



"Sorry to do this when we just got here, but do you think Alma could use your bathroom?" Donovan asked with a nervous laugh. “I don’t think the car ride here agreed with her all that well. It’s not an easy thing finding this city, and even less so actually driving here.” 



Cathay could see clearly into his mind. Donovan lacked his sister’s mental fortitude, but no doubt boasted other forms of cosmic resistance; same as his brother. This was his first time meeting Gilah, and he regretted having to ask her to use the bathroom. Not the best of first impressions in his mind, but because of her current condition his wife’s wellbeing was the top priority. Not a bad prerogative to have. 



Though it was clear that the middle child of the Amritage line didn’t break the apparent tradition of sleeping with things far beyond their understanding. Cathay doubted a car ride would prove all too damning for one of such high stature. If anything, their condition was because of her. 


 

Alma. 



That was a name she has not heard in quite some time. A being that was thought to have perished long before the civil war within the Depths. The implications were already unsettling, and the more Cathay thought about it the more she could feel a headache taking shape.  



As though cruel fate wished to push the Ruler’s concerns ever further, Alma stepped forward. By herself and without her husband's aid, she bowed before the Queen of the Depths, sweating through her fatigue yet resisting the urge to collapse downward in prostration. They lowered their head, never meeting the eyes of someone so much more powerful than themselves. They would not dare. 



They feared for the consequences of such an insult. 



Cathay rubbed the bridge of her nose, already aware of what all this meant. Gilah only laughed, already privy to the knowledge which bothered her age old friend. 



"My R-Ruler…" Alma said, the fear in her voice abundantly clear. She shook with every breath taken, and though she reeked of death it was nothing in comparison to what she knew of the Archfiend. Just as Cathay had not expected them to be here, they in turn did not expect to see such a legend on the surface of Earth. Their intended sanctuary away from the Kingdom most reviled. "It is a p-p-pleasure to make your a-acquaintance…"



A clear lie, though that was besides the point. It was obvious to Cathay that this being in front of her was one of her own. A Depthborn, one of an extremely advanced age, wrapped around the fingers of an Armitage. For reasons Cathay did not understand, they possessed some means of combating her authority, and in truth she didn’t care to find out why that was. 



"Ah… ahahahaa, fuuuuck ME!"



It was happening again. 



Cathay couldn't understand why it was happening again!



She couldn’t figure out just WHAT it was with the Armitage family that drew so many Depthborn to them, nor couldn't she understand why another force of nature was attempting to seek affection in a mortal. 



Whatever Alma's repertoire of skills was, it was clear she had been invited to aid in Gilah's pregnancy. They were a doctor after all, one whose origins were found in the Deep. They had skills humans just wouldn’t be able to compete with. It was a point of benefit Cathay would not argue on, though that would not stop her from lamenting this development. 



She wanted to rant.



She wanted to RAGE.



Once again Cathay found her sanity at stake, seeing another Depthborn in the arms of someone so much weaker than themselves. Call her a hypocrite for calling out one of her own, after she’s had her way with a human herself, but she felt as though she were nearing a limit once again. Tonight has been… emotionally draining. A lot of ups and downs, highs and lows she wasn’t really prepared to mentally deal with. This final revelation felt like the breaking point that would snap the straw on the camel's back. It’d be better for everyone really were she to just call it early. She’d hate to ruin everyone’s mood. 



But a gentle hand upon Cathay’s shoulder stopped her from doing so. Kept from just walking away, Gilah presented the Ruler with a silent choice. Either she could walk off right now and deal with the issues this new addition to their group would likely present, along with the migraines that came with them.



Or…



She could stay for dinner. Get to know Donovan and Alma, hear their side of the story. Be a part of the family, flaws and all; even if it was only for tonight. . 



Though not a word was said by them, Cathay knew her closest of friends wished for her to be here tonight. Of all present, it was THEM they wanted here the most. 



Who was Cathay to deny them that? 



Digging her nails into her scalp, and at her complete wits end, Cathay yielded to these developments with a sigh.



“Fine… FINE!” She still wanted to pull her hair right off of her skull, but were she to do that now she’d be disappointing Gilah. They were her guest after all, invited to hear wondrous news. So, even if it was just for one night, she would relent for their benefit. That much and more was owed to the Mako who held a place so close to the Archfiend’s black heart. 



“FUCK IT! I guess we’re doing this again!” 



Things would be fine, Cathay needed to tell herself that. She has made preparations for a well secured future. One where mankind can defend itself, providing a strong home for her… family.



She chuckled. 



Even the thought of such was humorous to her. Family… never in all her years would she have thought to find herself involved in something even remotely similar to the concept of family. The closest thing she’s ever had was Gilah, and it was no mystery how that relationship turned out. Now… that idea of a concept has grown. 



It was… pleasing.  



Yes, there would be headaches in the future. There would be trials and tribulations for the Queen of the Deep, but then that was something she was well and already used to at this stage of her life. As she headed on inside with her… family… Cathay found herself strangely looking forward to whatever the future may hold. 



Mundane though some days might be, she would bear with what was to come. Cathay would take it all in strides. The hardships. The joy that came after. The memories of both. She would have it all…



And share the moments with those who would stand by her side. 


End Notes:

Seeee? That wasn't so long of a wait at all


...I am terribly sorry, I tried to finish this faster than the rest but I ended up writing a WHOLE lot more than intended. So good with the bad and all that. 


And here we have it. The final chapter of Remembrance of the Depthborn. For those who read until the end, thank you. For those who are just now coming in, sup. And for all who enjoyed the work, I appreciate every single one of you. 

With this ending though comes my temporary break from Eldritch Sweethearts (big stories though, I'll still probably do little things). Gives people time to catch up, read on, and simply think. Also gives me the chance to return to one of my older, original stories.

If you've followed my profile, read my stories before, than i've got news for you. 

After a HORRIBLY long time in hiatus, I am finally returning to my Alpha-Beta series. While I can't say when the next chapter for that will be finished, I can say the next thing I post will be for that. Until then though...

Leave a rating and review if you've enjoyed my work! And check out the stories of the other writers of Eldritch Sweethearts! They're all seriously awesome!

See ya NERDS 

This story archived at http://www.giantessworld.net/viewstory.php?sid=12979