- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

This is my first story, so go easy on me. If you have any suggestions or comments, feel free to leave them. I'll ignore rude comments though.

When Asai had dared her to go into the boy's locker room, Anabel had been... apprehensive, to say the least. Sure, she'd lost that stupid bet, but going into the boy's locker room? She was well aware that she could get in loads of trouble if she got caught, and yet... she didn't want to be called a coward. Asai was one of the more influential girls at the school, and Anabel would rather die than have her reputation ruined by some stupid dare.

The rules of this idiotic dare were simple, thank God. She had to go into the locker room and retrieve Asai's necklace, which had apparently been stolen by Finley earlier that same day. Then she had to get the necklace to Asai, all without being caught. If Anabel were honest with herself, it wasn't even a bad dare- it wasn't hard at all, it was just embarrassing. Though if she wasn't caught, then it wouldn't be embarrassing at all, and nobody would have to know. She stood next to the door to the locker room, watching people pass by and giving them a sweet little wave, pretending all was well. As soon as the hallways cleared and she heard the bell ring for class to start, she slipped into the locker room.

She'd picked a good time. Since class had only just started, she knew they'd be busy for a while- and it was the swim unit, so even if she ran out of time, they'd filter through the showers before heading to the lockers anyways. Plenty of time for her to find this stupid necklace and book it. And she didn't have to worry about cameras, either; according to Asai, the cameras in the locker rooms had run out of space for filming ages ago, and the school never bothered to fix them. Crime level was pretty low.. this was a moderately esteemed school, after all. Well, crime was low until now. She crept along, trying to keep her sneakers from squeaking against the tile floor as she headed towards the lockers. As she approached, she realized her issue- they weren't labelled. How was she going to tell which one was Finley's? And even then, how was she supposed to get into the locker itself when they all had locks? Maybe she hadn't thought about this very thoroughly.

She began to scan the lockers, peeking through each locker's little slits in order to survey the contents within. Clothes, backpacks, the usual stuff; none of them had any semblance of a necklace. She was close to giving up, maybe moving out of the state and going to a new school when her careful eyes spotted something glittering in one of the furthest lockers. She got closer, her brow furrowing low above her soft, pale pink eyes before she spotted it. A perfect, heart-shaped white diamond hanging from a glittering silver chain. It seemed like it was left there on purpose, just waiting for her... behind locked doors. But maybe if she could fit her fingers through the gaps, she could unhook the chain and pull it through. It was worth a shot, at least. Her slender fingers slipped through the gaps, pushing and reaching for the chain with long fingernails. She was so close... just an inch more... aha! She felt her nail tap and hook around the chain, and with a little more wiggling she managed to unhook it, the diamond heart falling and brushing against her finger.

Finally, she had it! She went to pull it out, but as the seconds passed she began to feel strange. Her vision was darkening and blurring, her head feeling almost fuzzy. Her legs were straining to even stay upright. She grasped the locker's side, releasing the necklace and allowing it to clatter to the locker's bottom. Her eyelids fluttered, swallowing hard. Everything was swaying.. she couldn't see... Why did it seem like everything was getting larger? It took mere moments for her to collapse, her last thought being how soft the floor was.