- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Things are quite a bit of a mess at the moment, mainly the first part. I may redo it at some point but for now I'll keep as things are, pretty much the first thing I have ever written in this vein of literature!

Author's Chapter Notes:

Certainly not as good as I usually write things but I needed somewhere to get everything started, once from there I'm better at weaving things out.

 

Note that the rest of the story takes place after Robert has been within the Firm for a while. And yes, this is meant to be based last year and not this year :P I'll try my best to improve as time goes on, the beginning isn't as good as I would want but I may change it in the future if I feel it's just not right.

- Thanks!

- - Anima - -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hangovers, why do they always seem to linger?

Mine especially, waking up with that awful pounding of the head and the sense of worry about what I had done the night before or who’s laying next to me this time. Thankfully the party had been quite high brow, executives and higher members of the company only and most of them were rather stiff and boring that I was surprised any of them knew what a party was. The glory of working in a layer firm I suppose, I admit I have met far worse but each is rather different in their own special little ways.

Take Stan for example, a nice enough guy but his voice carries that quality that can send you off to sleep if you spend too long chatting with him. It’s always spreadsheets this and quotas that, you’d be forgiven for thinking he was the boss around here. I guess you could call me lucky for that not being so but I wouldn’t quite agree, only the most cunning and powerful person could have ever gotten that job in this place.

Unluckily enough it was these qualities and more that found themselves bestowed on to one Samantha Green, the woman would fire you before you even did anything wrong! I was lucky that I was one of the few IT Specialists the company had so my head was a safer from the chopping block than others, not to say I haven’t had my run-ins with her.

In any case I could hardly expect what would befall both me and the company, I don’t think anyone could if I’m honest. Now I remember why I tolerate hangovers, without the alcohol there’d be no way I’d be able to cope with how things are here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was June 2007 I believe, first day working with Green & Barrows. I was fresh out of University and my birthday has passed just a few days before, the firm was apparently looking for good young employee’s to help lead it into the future so I considered my chances to be quite good. I mean at 23 years old I had my Degree in working with Computer Systems but what I didn’t have was experience, I hadn’t even had a part time job growing up so I figured getting something like this could be a way for me to get myself up on the ladder and make my way up the industry.

New suit and everything, I was feeling good...confident, maybe a little bit nervous but I think that could be forgiven. Stepping out from the taxi and onto the cobbled streets of Bramble Road I found the firm in front of me, at least, one of their buildings anyway as G&B had them nationwide, quite a large business all things considering. The streets were empty except for one of those early morning joggers, it reminded me that it was still 7am and a Saturday at that, the day people usually slept out their hangovers.

Taking a deep breath, my black folder beneath my left arm and held snugly against my side I finally stepped inside, opening and holding the door for a young woman to leave without so much as a thank you. Despite this slight lack of civility I calmly entered G&B, taking stock of the small waiting area where a table was stacked with various customary magazines. A simple plant plot stood idly in the corner of the room, besides the sofa, and some tune that I certainly knew but forgot the name of was playing softly through the speakers. I’ve never really had that good a memory for songs, as long as they got a good beat and rhythm I’m game though.

My eyes cruised across the room once more before spotting the rather small woman sitting behind a raised desk, looking at something behind the area I could see and apparently concentrating very hard. Putting on my best smile I walked on over to her, her eyes immediately coming up to me and matching the colour of my own, blue.

“Hi, what can I do for you?” She said rather too politely if you ask me, I think that perhaps she wasn’t too happy about being up this early either.

“Er, I have an interview with Ms. Green this morning? I know I’m a little early but I didn’t want to be late,” I tried to remember the name of my future employer, thankfully I could see some leaflets behind the receptionist with the companies name on them so I took the first and prayed it was right, I was lucky.

“Robert Hill?” She said, her smile having faded a bit and by now I had spotted her nametag, Sandra, though I think she may have thought I was looking at something else since her cheeks reddened slightly.

“Yes that’s right, we spoke on the phone last Thursday I believe, she told me to come on down today,”

With an approving nod from her and the instructions that I would seat myself down I promptly did so after being given a clipboard with some documents that I needed to sign. Sandra didn’t offer me a pen but I was resourceful enough to have brought my own, still she had rather striking dark red hair so I guess I could forgive her for it since she was so bold enough to dress quite oddly in public, I was rather surprised she was able to be quite so…’outrageous’ and not be criticised for it, different work ethics I suppose and a sign of the times I suppose.

I’ll tell you now that I’m a very strange person, I like strange things and I do strange things. One of these is filling out forms, don’t ask me why because I can’t answer that either. It just feels good to get all the information down, it makes me feel more like an individual rather than just another person, or I could just be weird.

With the documents finally filled out I checked a lock mounted on the wall just in front of me, below it a door that seemed to lead into the main area of the firm. It was only 7:30 and I had another 15 minutes to go until it was time for the interview. Rather than stare into space or at Sandra I brought my attention to one of the many magazines upon the table, finding a copy of Scientific Monthly and taking a gander at it whilst I waited.

To tell you the truth everything inside it was rather ludicrous, too much about Aliens and UFO’s and not enough on Cloning and Gene Therapy. A heck of a lot of rather crackpot ideas I can tell you that, what caught my eye was some Professor Albert Tyler or something like that, apparently he was developing ways to change Matter, Atoms…a whole lot of things that I didn’t truly understand too well and change them, mould them. Apparently the batty man had managed to even shrink his car to ¼ of its original size, as I say, rather wacky.

“Mr Hill?” I heard the rather powerful sounding voice question, looking over the rim of the magazine I found myself staring straight at my new boss.

Samantha Green was around 5’7”, an inch shorter than me and her eyes seemed to gaze right into your soul and suck it right out. She carried a kind of no nonsense look about her that made me immediately put down the magazine and stand up. From what I had heard she was in her late twenties and was known for a spat of divorces, looking at her I could believe that she had scared her ex-husbands off. I could also see why she was able to keep getting them, hazel eyes, long blonde hair and a rather…ample chest if I may say so, she certainly looked younger than her age and apparently I had a rather slack jaw.

“Yes, my name’s Robert, it’s a pleasure to meet you Ms. Green,” I stumbled slightly, I don’t think she noticed as I took her outstretched hand from across the table and shook it lightly with a smile.

“Correct, if you’ll follow me to my office we’ll see if you’re able to take on the role as our new IT Guy, or whatever it is…I admit that I’m not as savvy as some people when to comes to them, hence why I need you to keep your eye on all the machines within this branch,” She said, turning round immediately as she spoke and striding off through the door and into the interior of the building.

In tow I followed, my eyes fixed on Samantha as we walked passed people sitting by their computers and doing this that and the other, I didn’t want to look at them and give the wrong impression. I, however, could feel their eyes upon me and heard a few comments whispered a little too loudly, I wasn’t offended except maybe by the one about my hair being a little shabby.

Getting into her office for the first time felt like I was preparing to be executed, still at least I wasn’t getting any nicknames just yet…

Offering me a seat I took it with a smile and a nod, she sat opposite me. And then the interview began…if honest I’d rather not go on about it, suffice to say I got the job and I was truly unsure whether to be happy or not, is a worm happy when it’s chosen to be the bait of the fisherman?

In the times ahead I would have far worse moments.
Chapter End Notes:
Hope things look okay!