- Text Size +

The Prince arrived in his carriage, and the Princess was lying down while crying non-stop.

He placed his cape and other items on the side, and sat right beside his sister.

“... I’m sorry sister, I knew what you wanted. But it seems I ended up hurting you much more than I expected… I don’t know very much of your relationship with the Hero at that time because I was busy with my own work, but I did notice you had changed… Would you tell what was happening?”

--- FLASHBACK ---

One year ago, the royal priest informed the King that a Hero was going to be summoned in a few months. The news flew out of the palace, this means a threat was coming, but a Hero would come to save them, such a rare and powerful influence the Hero is.

Princess Ulrika felt like she was in a dream, as a princess, she was just a political tool, she would marry some prince or other noble, and that was all, it was a sad future, but it’s one of the few responsibilities she has, and she likes being needed. She loves stories about legendary heroes, capable of great feat, who would then marry the princess of the Kingdom that summoned them.

And now a new Hero is being summoned? She knows what it means, she will finally realize her dream, she will be the heroine of one of her stories, she will face an adventure and meet her true love. Everyday was filled with expectations about the Hero.

---

The day of the summoning arrived, and Hero Akira appeared. He was short, but she never heard of a Hero with the characteristics of the people from her Kingdom, she guessed maybe if the summoning was happening there it would be such a case, but it’s not a problem. She will be by his side to help him in whatever he needs.

When they told Hero Akira about the threat of the Demon King, he felt nervous, but she did everything she could to support him.

When Hero Akira asked about how were other heroes, she would heartily talk about so many of the stories she read, the heroes that defeated giant monsters and could split mountains, she also never forgot to add that, in the end, they always married the princess and lived happily ever after. But she noticed, Hero Akira felt more nervous upon hearing the stories, she reminded him that these stories are surely beautified over the time, so it’s not like the are completely real… But the damage was already done.

Hero Akira started reading books about the history of the Kingdom and other things, and almost 2 weeks later, he appeared to her father asking for a peace treaty with the Demon King. Everyone was surprised, the idea was so ridiculous.

(Why is a Hero asking that?)

Soon after, Princess Ulrika who was at his side was blamed by her father for not guiding the Hero properly, she went to meet the Hero again and asked what were his plans. Hero Akira explained his story, to go to the Demon World, and try to negotiate with the Demon King, if possible, otherwise, he would just return.

The Princess Ulrika didn’t like it.

(It’s suicide! why can’t this Hero be normal, why, when finally a hero is summoned and I get to be by his side?)

She who was just a political tool would finally be able to do something that she liked, but the one that arrived is a coward that doesn’t want to fight. She felt more and more frustrated with the Hero, she asked him to train, to fight, because there was no other answer, she wants him to be like the Heroes in her stories, but he refused.

And then, he started studying magic with the royal Mages, and what she saw? He created many artifacts while studying. No splitting mountains, no craters, he created “something”, it was a mini box that moved by itself… Nothing more, it could carry small things from one side to another, but that was it. He spent hours and hours on something this small…

(My Hero is a failure… He is weak, he is a coward… Are we doomed? What was the Goddess thinking. I can’t stand it anymore.)

She would cry at night, and everytime she saw his face, she wanted to beat him over the frustration, for crushing her dreams, for being blamed by her family for ignoring the Hero.

And then, he was gone. She was punished over not being able to keep the Hero nearby, she could only cry, her hero was a failure, but she lost him nonetheless, and now her father blames her.

------

Almost 4 months later, Knight Anastasia, who serves directly to the First Princess was called over because of the sight of a demon invading the territory. The size was said to be Huge, so a special Squad of most of their Elite Knights was formed hastily and immediately sent to the battle front, they could only hope to stop the menace, and pray for the villagers who were killed.

Two days later, someone on the lookout said he had seen the huge humanoid winged demon, but it didn’t appear anymore. Later, a messenger arrived, explaining that the Daughter of the Demon King arrived with Hero Akira, and they want to start a Peace Treaty, but due to a misunderstanding, they started hostilities, but Hero Akira alone counterattacked.

Prince Orlando was called by the King, who gave him a test, to deal with it in the way that he thinks is correct, since he will inherit the Kingdom, it would be best for him to deal with it himself. He then requested that his sister, Princess Ulrika goes with him, to deal with Hero Akira, although the King is reluctant, Orlando puts his pressure over it.

(Why now!? Why now!? Why must you return now, like this!?)

-----

They arrive at the meeting place at night, it’s very dark, but the bonfires lit by the Knights help to see the people around, and the moment she saw Akira’s bored face, she couldn’t stop her frustration, she insults him, but this time, someone replied to her, and she felt the most scared in her life, instantly hiding behind the Hero she was aiming for, and the Hero protected her, by “talking” with the Demon… When she looked on his face, it was not the face of a meeky loser, but one of a firm man confident on himself.

She felt mesmerized by this face, what could have happened in between this time? But at the same time, he now was not fleeing from her, and directly answering her, in a very annoyed tone.

(Why are you talking to me like that? You coward hero.)

After he saw that she had peed, she remembered how much she hated him, but he took little damage, and just let it pass. In the past, her kick would make him fly a good few meters, but now, it was like nothing.

Prince Orlando introduced himself to him and Princess Vermillion.

(Princess who?)

That’s when Ulrika noticed, the giant demon girl was a Princess, one that was with her Hero, a thief, but upon the remark of her brother that they had a good relationship, she understood, this Thief Princess is who transformed her Hero into what he is now.

The work that was supposed to be Ulrika’s, to support the Hero, was now done by another person… Who achieved much better results than her… Then Akira introduced a new artifact, and her brother complimented it as efficient, even though it was not a weapon that could kill even the weakest of monsters…

But then she noticed, her brother was going to attack him, she decided to trust him and just remain on his side, to answer the questions as truthfully as he asks. Finally, it’s her time to explain to Akira: “You did something that nobody wanted”

(This is all your fault!)

But Akira refuted, that in the end, there was nothing for him in this war.

(I was going to marry you! But... Now...)

And as her brother replied to Akira, the Demon Princess attacked, insulting the human, but making it clear she trusts Akira.

(This thief, she stole my Hero, now we are his enemies and she is his ally!?)

Her brother stops her, and asks Akira to ignore her, which Akira agrees.

(W-Why!? Why am I being ignored!? I didn’t do anything wrong!)

Akira asks them what is the meaning of the hero, he came to stop the war, and he stopped the war, in a completely different way from the others, but it seems he did, so if he is the chosen Hero, why are his methods being criticized?

Ulrika responds with what everyone knows, but is countered again with a different idea… What if this Hero was always a proper Hero, but just had different methods.

Ulrika understood, yes, she made a huge mistake, she wanted her Hero to be like the others, but her Hero was different, she was tied to her mental image, and couldn’t see the real potential, and so, he did everything alone and without her support… And now, he found another princess…

(I lost… I was wrong… You... Were right...)

If there were ever a tale about this Hero in the future, she would be the idiot Princess who missed her chance. The hero convinced her brother, when asked for her opinion, she couldn’t deny… This person is a true Hero.

The discussions continued, but this time, the Princess couldn’t face the Hero anymore, she was ashamed of herself, she was now just accompanying her brother, if asked if she could bring the Hero back, she knew that would be impossible, she was just that much of an idiot, she destroyed every chance she could… Herself

And so she decided to act more like a princess, destroy her dreams and try to act like a normal princess, she was then able to see that the Giant Demon was not a bad person after all, it still hurts though.

---

Later in the discussions, Orlando starts the marriage talks, she knew it would come to this, she has a good relationship with her Brother, and he knew of her feelings, he said he would try to help. Ulrika knows she doesn’t deserve it, but if it were still possible somehow, she would accept it wholehearted.

And then, he started attacking her, she knew the tactic, it’s to make up a pitiful image of her to improve the chances of the Hero accepting the proposal, but her brother didn’t knew she recognized her errors already, and each sentence hurts so much.

And who ends up offering support? The other Princess, but her suggestion, seemingly related to her demon parents, was so dirty and foul, her pride couldn’t take it that the person who stole his Hero could throw in such a low attack on her when she was already down, she hates the thief, this thief is bad, but she is a better companion for the Hero.

Ulrika runs back to the carriage and continues crying, until her brother arrives.

--- FLASHBACK END ---

“I see, thank you for trusting me, I will do what I can to help you.”

The prince patted his crying sister’s hair as he looked at one of the items he had just put down.