- Text Size +

Olivia! Olivia! A thousand times, spoken by a thousand insistent voices, her name echoed through Jack's mind as he curled himself into the muggy recesses of her bed-sized sock. He didn't even know her last name, or really anything about her at all. She came seemingly out of nowhere, like a new comet that no one had seen before, on a trajectory that ran smack into his world. Who was she?  These questions were getting harder to ponder, as the warmth of his cozy environment lured Jack into a deep sleep.

Even in his sleep she was all he could think of. In a dream, he saw himself amongst a crowd of millions of people. It was a city, somewhere, but it had two types of inhabitants. Big people and little people. The big people just did whatever they wanted with the little ones, and the little ones were helpless to resist. But largely they were ignored, or even crushed accidentally under foot, as the big people went about their big people business, totally uninterested in the affairs of such insignificant beings below. 

Then, an effeminate hand as large as a city block reached down from the sky. Its nails were pink, and dangling about its wrist was a girlish beaded bracelet. The hand plucked Jack Perry from amongst the crowd, taking him between thumb and pointer finger. The speck was lifted into the sky, and brought before her heavenly face. It was Olivia. Jack's heart fluttered. He felt as if this massive deity had chosen him! HIM! And him alone! To worship her. He'd never felt so validated, so special, so loved. All of existence was culminating to this one harmonious moment when these two souls meet. 

She smiled at the speck between her fingers, but suddenly Jack realized it wasn't a friendly smile. It was a mocking one. He opened his mouth to protest, but was met with an immediate "Shhhhhhh" from the giantess. Her hot breath washed over him, and it smelled like roses. But even roses have their thorns. 

"Go ahead, ask yourself, why would I love you?" Olivia boomed, wearing a taunting expression. The little man had no answer. She was right. She couldn't love him. He was a brilliant scientist, but otherwise completely inadequate in every meaningful way. She giggled, the force of which caused him to tremble. "I'm just playing with you, little guy," she cooed. "It's what I do. I play with tiny men and break their tiny little hearts for fun."

This wasn't the dream he wanted to be having. He tried to wake himself up, but the dream wasn't ending. "You're not dreaming, little man. I am," she said, squinting at him and grinning menacingly. "You're in my dream. You don't even exist. You're a figment of my imagination. And I will do with you whatever I want." He quivered at the suggestion. "Or maybe it is your dream, but you're not waking up because you don't want to wake up," she said, mockingly. "Because deep down, you want me to toy with you. You're pathetic." The last word she spat with utter disdain, snarling her lip.

Without a word of warning, she dropped him, and he fell miles to the ground, landing in the shadow of her left foot. The shadow moved, as the foot was raised into the air. It hovered directly over Jack, the foot now a mile long. Her sole was soft, with gentle curves and perky, girlish toes. How could anything so pleasant be so menacing. Slowly, she brought the foot down, and Jack was enveloped by darkness and flesh. 

The dream changed. Olivia was back at her university, attending classes. As she walked down the halls, passing dozens of students, everyone took notice of her necklace. And they were afraid. Dangling just above her cleavage was an inch-high Jack, his arms bound with a gold chain that ran around Olivia's neck. She owned him, and she wanted everyone to see. As the dream went on, she added to her collection, dangling several tiny men, and a few women too, from her wrists and ankles. Some men she fashioned into rings around her fingers and toes, living out their lives as the ignored pets of a vain goddess.

The vision of her classroom gave way once again. The scores of students became a sea of billions of people. Rising above all of them was a monstrous leviathan of a girl. Olivia. She dipped both hands into the sea, pulling out handfuls of screaming specks. She extended one hand high into the air, then casually tilted it, watching with fascination as thousands of tiny people came tumbling out. Some landed back in the sea, but many didn't make it that far, landing in her gaping maw instead. Amongst those unfortunate souls was Jack, who found himself in a new sea, this time of Olivia's saliva. Her laughter bellowed all about him, as her cavernous mouth grew darker. He was falling backwards, drifting inevitably down her gullet. As he slid into blackness, he saw Olivia's true form. She was a maneater, in every sense of the term. She devoured them by the dozens, and moved on to the next. Jack was just her latest casualty.

Jack awoke in the damp, dark recess of Olivia's sock, and he screamed, thinking that he was in her stomach. The dream left its impact on the rest of his day. Her real intentions had been revealed to him in the dream, he thought. She was toying with him. Well Jack wasn't going to be her toy. He avoided the Edwards Reactor Building, and did his best to stay busy with work, keeping his mind off his pursuer. He managed to continue like this for a week, feeling like a drunk who'd gone cold turkey. 

By the end of his eighth day "sober", Jack walked back to his truck, now parked near an old oak tree. He had been working late most evenings, to be doubly sure he wouldn't accidentally run into Olivia. His truck was the only one in the lot. As he put his keys in the truck door, something caught his attention. In the corner of his eye, just around the edges of the tree, he caught a movement. He turned toward it, still not entirely sure what he was looking at. In an instant, she jumped out from behind the tree. 

"BOO!" she said, in a friendly and playful manner. But her voice was booming. It was Olivia, only this time she was thirty feet tall. Jack shouted and threw his keys in the air, not expecting to be jumped by a goddamned giantess right at the end of the day. He'd seen the size-altered E Reactor workers before, from a distance, never this close. These days the Edwards Institute operated like Jurassic Park. Don't get too close to the exhibits or you'll get crushed. Seeing a giant outside of her metaphorical cage, walking around freely was a shock in and of itself; like discovering a tiger prowling about your front lawn. But it was doubly terrifying to see Olivia - who Jack believed to be predatory and him her prey - now staggeringly large, and moving with frightening agility. He was, in every sense of the term, completely at her mercy. 

The muscles in her thighs and calves flexed powerfully as she walked gracefully toward him. She stopped, looming large above him, and blocking his exit with one flip flop-clad foot. Her toes were bigger than his head. One leg was thicker and contained more raw power and muscle than his entire body. She kneeled down, bringing her face closer to his. She giggled, and her hot breath rolled over him, and he did think he faintly smelled roses.

"Did I scare ya?"