- Text Size +

Jack sipped his coffee and gazed out his office window. Across company campus, he could see them. The new arrivals. Summer interns. He smiled, taking another sip. This was his favorite time of year. Interns would flock from across the world to work at the Edwards Institute each summer. A good many of them were women in their sexual primes, but most of whom would be single. Jack twirled his pen as he considered why that is. These are highly ambitious girls who won't be slowed down by a man anytime soon, he figured. Only the best and the brightest work here, after all.

Despite being a fairly handsome guy, Jack found himself in his late-30s, still single. He didn't date coworkers. That only leads to trouble, he often told himself. And besides, he didn't much care for the company women. They were just as humorless and un-fun as the company men. Worse still, employees of the Edwards Institute made up so much of the local population that finding an available woman who didn't work for Edwards almost never happens. And he was shy. A bit small for a man. Awkward around women, not enough to be creepy but not enough to be endearing either. He was a prolific academic, but not much of a people person. Sitting at his desk, he took inventory of himself, his life, his loneliness, and his smile was gone. Looking out the window, at the most desirable - and available - girls on the planet, he sighed, knowing he lacked the courage or the skills to pick one up.

There was a knock at his door. "Come in," Jack said, surprised by the interruption. His administrative assistant, Janice, walked in. Beside her was one of the most stunning girls Jack had ever seen. She looked to be maybe 20. Young, but there was a sharp intellect in her sky blue eyes. She carried herself with such poise and confidence, Jack thought. She wore a short skirt that hugged her athletic, curved hips tightly. Curly blond locks bobbed about her shoulders as she walked in. Jack's eyes drifted downward, unable to resist inspection of her long, toned legs. Pink toenails teased him from within her high-heeled mules. 

He lingered about a second too long on those toes. His eyes darted back up to a more appropriate level, meeting hers directly. The girl smiled coolly. He was caught checking her out, but she just smiled back, completely without judgment. She must be used to the attention, she probably even enjoys it, he thought. 

"Jack, this is Olivia," the secretary said. "She's a new intern here to see you."

Jack stood up and crossed the room to shake hands. Now closer to the intern, he noticed that he had to look slightly up to maintain eye contact. She's tall too. Beautiful, smart, and physically intimidating to boot. Fuck. He'd never felt quite so captivated by any one person in his life, and she hadn't even spoken yet. His face started to feel warm. "Pleased to meet you," he said, trying to sound professional. He probably sounded like an idiot. They shook hands. Hers were soft and warm, and he only broke eye contact with her to examine how much bigger her hands were than his. He couldn't help but feel a tiny bit inferior to this young woman he'd just barely met. 

It took a second to realize just how jovial and enthusiastic her handshake was in return. Jack looked back at her face, and was met with a bright, exuberant smile. "I'm so honored to meet you, Dr. Perry," the girl said. "I'm a really big fan of your work!"

"Y-you know my work?" Jack said, trying desperately to be cool but starting to blush like a moron.

"Of course! My favorite class in school was Wave Dynamics of the E Reactor! It's like, a whole course based on your work!" Her smile grew even wider, but she wasn't nervous at all. Her piercing blue eyes just beamed with confidence. "I've read so many of your papers you may as well have just been my personal professor!"

Recognizing the other two were "having a moment," the secretary quietly stepped out of the room.

"Wave Dynamics is pretty difficult theoretical work," Jack said, impressed. "Is that what you'll be working on this summer?"

"Nope, I'm one of the growth interns!" she responded with glee.

Jack felt his heart try to beat its way out of his chest. Growth internships at the Edwards Institute for Macro Science were perhaps the most prestigious opportunities available to aspiring engineers; particularly young women. Girls in their early 20's were almost always physically the best-suited candidates for the job. Women, being typically lighter and more compact than their male counterparts, were highly desirable for participation in this program.

Highly desirable indeed, thought Jack. The physical requirements of the internship program practically guaranteed a new flock of fit, attractive, and intelligent 20-somethings each summer. For the next three months, each of them will be doing hard work, physically and mentally. The interns will be charged with performing the annual maintenance of the Edwards Reactor, a massive, experimental power source best maintained by massive, but nimble people. Olivia and about a dozen other girls would spend the summer vastly enlarged to different sizes to perform this difficult but necessary work. He'd never even spoken to a girl in that program, let alone have one in his office.

"Olivia, that's... That's a very exclusive internship," Jack said, genuinely impressed. "Whatever got you interested in... um.." Jack looked down. They were still shaking hands. He gently slid his free of hers. "Oops, sorry," he said, unsure who was holding onto that handshake more.

"It was really nice to meet you Dr. Perry," she said, sweetly. "I really do need to get back to orientation. I just wanted to meet you since..." She started rummaging through her purse, withdrawing a pen and a book. It was titled "The Next Big Thing." He recognized it immediately. It was a popular science book he wrote a few years back about the E Reactor. "Could you?" she smiled, opening the book and handing him the pen.

"Oh! Of course!" Jack said, pausing to think, then nervously writing an inscription followed by his signature on the front page. He'd never been asked for an autograph before. He was considered by many to be an up-and-coming physicist, but hardly a celebrity.

Olivia read the inscription and smiled with total satisfaction. "To Olivia, the next big thing!" followed by a very sloppy "Jack Perry." She thanked him, shook his hand again, and walked out the door. Jack was very pleased with himself. He'd never met a fan of his work before. Especially not one as dropdead gorgeous as this young woman. He admired her, as she walked away, watching her feet as they flopped against her mules. Soft, golden arches. He scanned upward, seeing her tight ass as it swayed and flexed under the skirt. 

His eyes flitted upwards, and met hers one final time, as she looked over one shoulder back at him. He'd been caught once again. But she maintained a cool smile, turned her head forwards, and sauntered nonchalantly down the hall. She waved him goodbye, with one lazily dangling hand, before she turned the corner and walked out of sight.