- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
The Greater Good: Chapter 1 The Greater Good
a Phantasy Star story
Chapter 1: Repeated History
by Grey-X

Disclaimer: The original Phantasy Star games, the Phantasy Star Online series, and all related characters are the creation and property of Sega.

This is a story that was completed on 3-21-2007, and I'm now adding to this archive.


Rune Walsh sat bolt-erect in his seat and closed his eyes, trying to clear his mind and meditate to prepare himself for the ordeal ahead. It had only been a few minutes since the Landale had lifted off and departed from Dezolis; it would be several hours until the ship reached the asteroid belt that had once been the planet Palma. Nevertheless, Rune felt it was necessary to mentally prepare himself as much as possible for what was coming.

According to Wren's scans, somewhere within that asteroid field was the Air Castle, and hopefully, within it Rune and his party could get back the stolen Eclipse Torch. But to do that, they would apparently have to get past Lassic, a tyrannical warlord who was supposed to have died over two millenia ago.

Rune would know. Although he himself had never seen or fought Lassic, he now possessed the memories of one who did. He was the only one among them who had any idea of what they'd be facing. And try as he might to clear his mind and meditate, doubts kept creeping up in the back of his mind. Could Lassic be beaten again? Could this group triumph over him, the way his earliest predecessor and his friends did?

Eventually, these doubts served to plague him so much, the Esper found it almost impossible to focus and meditate. That, and the trip was getting a little bumpy; obviously the ship wasn't in as good a condition as Wren said it was. Letting out a grunt of annoyance, Rune opened his eyes and slowly looked around the cockpit of the Landale.

Seated at the very front, piloting the Landale, was the android named Wren. An absurbly tall android in the shape of a man...his dour, angular face and neat black hair made him almost seem human, despite the headgear components and other mechanical parts that adorned his body. And though his mannerisms made him seem like he was a slave to programming, it was obvious Wren possessed a strong sense of commitment. It made Rune think back to the memories that he'd been charged with keeping....

But before he could dwell too much on that, he turned to the co-pilot's seat, where Rika, the pink-haired numan, sat. A deadly fighter, but soft-spoken, kind, and always curious about the world around her...did she really comprehend the danger they'd be facing? And behind her sat Kyra, a fellow Esper. She was young, reckless and inexperienced, but she was dependable, and Rune had a feeling her help would be crucial once they got to the Air Castle. If only she wasn't so annoyingly perky.

And last of all, seated directly in front of him, was Chaz Ashley, busily sharpening his new blade, forged of laconia. Absurbly short for his age and always acting like the immature adolescent he was...things Rune never hesitated to point out, much to Chaz's annoyance. And yet, there was something about him that made him certain that he'd be the one to eventually lead them to ultimate victory. It made him think back to those memories he now carried; Rune knew Chaz would harbor a certain reluctance to do what must be done, a part of him would eventually react with restive defiance, he was sure. However, Rune was also sure that Chaz's strength of character and natural goodness would let him overcome that. Rune's predecessor had seen that happen before, with Chaz's earliest predecessor....

He'll come around, Rune thought to himself, trying to avoid worrying about the future too much, like any disciplined Esper would. If I came to terms with my duty to carry the memories of Lutz, so too will he come to terms with his ultimate destiny, just as she did....

"Sorry, there was a slight disruption in the power matrix of the propulsion systems and inertial dampeners. It's been corrected," announced Wren in his dry, matter-of-fact voice. His flat tone briefly reminded Rune why his predecessor and his friends distrusted machines, but then, the Landale's jerky motions ceased, making it easier for him to meditate if he wished. And so, Rune closed his eyes and once again tried to order his thoughts.

Unfortunately, things conspired against Rune once again, for at that moment, Rika spoke up. "Rune, I've been meaning to ask you...what exactly is Lassic like? What are we up against?"

Rune's eyes snapped open, fixing them upon Rika with an annoyed stare. "I've told you already," he said at length. "He's the tyrant who lorded over the Algo system over 2000 years ago. An extremely powerful warlock, thanks to how Dark Force corrupted him with his power."

"I still don't get how he can still be alive, though," spoke up Kyra, sounding confused.

In truth, Rune was just as confused as Kyra and the others were, but pride prevented him from showing it. His reply was one of sternness and abrasiveness, meant to cover up his uncertainty. "I don't know how he can be alive either, but I'm sure we'll find out soon enough, once we reach the Air Castle," he snapped. "There's no use worrying about it. He's got the Eclipse Torch, and we need to get it back. We'll just have to deal with whatever gets thrown at us. We've come too far to lose."

"Well, I-I suppose there's no need to worry," said Kyra hesitantly. "I mean, you're Lutz. You've beaten him before. You can do it again, right?"

Rune sighed. "I only have Lutz's memories, Kyra. And Lutz wasn't the one who beat Lassic in the end. Alis did."

"Alis? You mean...Alis Landale?" asked Kyra.

"The legendary heroine from 2000 years ago, right?" asked Rika curiously.

Rune nodded. "She was the one who delivered the final blow. Alis and her friends were all gravely wounded and weakened by Lassic's dark power, barely able to move. But Alis somehow found the strength to use her rope spell to ensnare Lassic and her fire magic to knock him down, and in the blink of an eye she was upon him. With one final battle cry, she plunged her sword down into his heart, and that was the end of him. Or at least, it was supposed to be...."

Rika and Kyra seemed to be silently taking it all in. To stave off any further questions, Rune said, "Lassic's not invincible. He's been beaten once before, and he can be beaten again." He sounded more confident than he felt, but right now, he just wanted these girls to shut the hell up so he could meditate.

Rika and Kyra seemed satisfied for the moment. Rika turned back to look out the cockpit window and monitored the ship's readouts and sensor data, while Kyra started fidgiting with one of her laconian slashers. Confident that they would now leave him alone, Rune closed his eyes again.

But soon, his meditation was interrupted again. But this time, it was Chaz. He had remained silent so far, but now for some reason he felt the need to pester him even more.

"Rune, now that you mention it...just who was this Alis Landale? What was she like?" asked Chaz. "I've been wondering about that for a long time now."

Now thoroughly agitated, Rune stared at Chaz intently. "What else do you need to know? You've heard the legends and the stories. You've heard about what happened 2000 years ago. What do you want to know from me?"

Chaz seemed to wither under Rune's gaze, but only slightly. "Well, it's just...that..." He fumbled with his words, obviously unsure of what to say. "When we visited Termi, she was revered almost like a goddess...there was that statue and everything. And those statues in the Esper Mansion, they were all of her, right? What I'm trying to say is...I know how things get distorted over time. I know she was a hero, but I want to know what the actual person was like, not what people want to make her out to be."

Rune regarded Chaz for a moment. Once again, he had proven he was wiser than he looked. But before he could think of an answer - or at least a snotty retort - Kyra spoke up again.

"Yeah, I'd like to know, too," she said. "I've studied all the historical texts; she's described as an absolute animal in battle, but a kind and caring person as well. But if you've got Lutz's memories, then you'd know what she was really like. And I'd like to know too."

Rune turned to Kyra. "Any special reason?"

Kyra stared back at Rune. "Because, I grew up idolizing Alis as much as Lutz. I've always pictured her as the ulitmate heroine. But...now, after seeing how crass and unfeeling the real Lutz is, I'm wondering if the real Alis would be a disappointment as well!" she finished in a derisive tone.

Rika stifled a giggle, and Chaz was smirking as well. Kyra did have a point. Sometimes, people put their heroes on a pedestal, creating a vision of what their ideal hero should be. It's only when you're faced with the truth, when you see your idols for who they really are, do you realize that the ones you revere are just like everyone else...they have flaws and imperfections. Kyra had recently learned that the hard way.

Rune remained silent as he poured over the memories that had been bestowed upon him. Chaz and Kyra were right: Alis wasn't perfect by any means. Yes, she defeated Lassic and Dark Force. Yes, she liberated the Algo system and peace was restored for a time. But despite all that, before all that....

"Both of you are right," Rune said eventually. "Alis wasn't perfect. She made mistakes, and her journey was a difficult one. Not just because of the enemies she faced; her quest was trying for her soul as well. She had a good deal to learn, and in fact, her most difficult lesson...."

"Yes, what?" Chaz asked impatiently, annoyed at how Rune's voice just trailed off.

Rune sighed again, then continued. "Actually, it started much like this: departing from Dezolis and heading out to find and kill Lassic. Something happened before she got to the Air Castle. That was the start of a very soul-searching adventure for herself, and all her friends for that matter."

"Really? There's no mention in the texts of anything besides her fight with Lassic and Dark Force," said Kyra.

"I find that surprising, considering the ruckus Alis caused," said Rune, smirking.

"This sounds interesting," said Rika as she turned around, her pointy, cat-like ears perked up. "I want to hear this."

Rune shook his head. "It's kind of a long story."

"We have approximately seven hours and fifteen minutes until we reach the asteroid belt," chimed in Wren. "Besides, any information about how Alis Landale fought Lassic may prove beneficial once we track him down."

Oh, you're a real help, Wren, Rune thought dryly. Rune looked from one teammate to another, each eagerly anticipating hearing his story. It was now painfully obvious that none of them would leave him alone and let him meditate, so, after letting out one last sigh of annoyance, he acquiesced. "Alright, if it'll make you happy, I'll tell you all about what Alis faced back then...."


2000 years ago....

Alis Landale was lost in thought, seated at the cockpit of the Luveno as their ship sped away from Dezolis and back to her home planet of Palma. She stared blankly into the blackness of space, eager to get back to Palma and finish the job she started. She didn't need to focus her attention on piloting their ship, since their on-board robot, Hapsby, took care of all ship functions for them. Alis turned to her right. There sat the robot, situated in between the pilot and co-pilot's seatts, its systems linked into the Luveno's. Alis couldn't help but remember the trouble it took to get hold of Hapsby; having to go all the way across Palma to Abion for polymeteral, then backtracking to Bortevo to use it to dissolve the pile of junk Hapsby was buried under.

Why in the name of the Algo system did Dr. Luveno have to build us a ship that relies on a robot!? she thought irritably as she stared at the little machine. It continued to blip and twitter, its head occassionally swerving slightly from left to right as it managed the ship's systems. I could've probably piloted. a starship on my own! Nero worked in the spaceport and taught me all about ship operations!

Nero...just the thought of his name made the memories flood back, as if a dam had burst open in her mind. The sight of her older brother lying in the streets of Camineet, his body riddled with blaster wounds, the Robotcops mocking him as he lay dying. Killed because he was part of the underground resistance, trying to topple Lassic's regime. Nero had insisted she stay out of the fighting, but after seeing her brother murdered, Alis took up his sword and swore to the Creator that she would kill Lassic for this atrocity, or die trying.

Alis shut her eyes to hold back the tears that threatened to flow. No, she had to remain cold. She couldn't afford to lose her composure, not when, within hours, her party would be back on Palma, ready to storm Baya Malay Tower and bring the fight to Lassic.

But despite herself, anger took hold of her yet again. All throughout her journey, she had seen how the Algo system had been slowly crumbling: oppressive taxation leaving the economy in ruins, monsters freely roaming the planets, Robotcops imposing martial law everywhere.... But still, it was the murder of her brother that drove her on, making her determined to get her revenge.

Alis unsheathed her laconian sword, which she had won from fighting that red dragon during their last pit stop on Palma. She examined it closely. Everything about this sword was perfect: the fine edge, the weight distribution, the shape and length making it ideal for slashing or thrusting. And she could feel energy pulsing within it, could feel its holy power. With it, she was confident she could turn back Lassic's power and strike him down. She gripped the handle tightly, relishing the thought.

It was now finally time to seek Lassic out. Her party had travelled all across the Algo system, collecting all the powerful weapons and gear they could find, anything that might give them an edge against Lassic. The last few days on Dezolis had also yielded some strange items that, somehow, Alis was certain would be needed. At her feet, beside Hapsby, was the laconian pot she had won from Dr. Mad, and inside was the Nut of Laerma they had procured from that tree on Dezolis. According to what they had heard, it was supposed to trigger some sort of growth in Myau. Alis had a hard time believing it. This nut is supposed to make that musk cat grow bigger, just like that? she thought dubiously. Is there a type of magic that can trigger growth like that? I'll have to see it to believe it.

She turned to the co-pilot's seat, where Myau the musk cat lay curled up in Odin's lap, his long-time partner and friend. A tall, muscular man with short blonde hair, Odin simply let Myau lay there as he tinkered with his laser gun. Not that he needs it anymore, now that he finally won his laconian axe from Medusa, thought Alis, remembering their fight against Lassic's underling. Alis examined Odin more closely. His demeanor was that of stoic resolve, of quiet, determined strength. Alis envied him. How could he seem so composed, so reserved! His entire resistance group had been slaughtered and he had been petrified by Medusa. How could he be so calm after all that!?

Alis then looked back at the seat behind her. There sat Noah, their resident Esper. Clad in white robes, with lavender hair and slightly feminine features. He was sitting silently in his seat, deep in meditation. Again, Alis felt a surge of envy and confusion. Why is he so calm all the time, too!? she thought bitterly. So many of his fellow Espers were hunted down and slaughtered by Lassic's goons. Except for Tarzimal, we haven't come across any!

It all came back to Lassic, she realized. Every calamity that had befallen the people of Algo could be traced back to him. And it's time someone put an end to it, Alis silently vowed, gripping her sword again and shutting her eyes tightly. I'm going to find him. I'm going to find him and make him pay for....

A sudden bleeping sound from the ship's main console interrupted Alis's anguished thoughts. Alis opened her eyes, and her mouth to ask what was going on, but before she could say anything, Hapsby spoke up. "We are receiving a subspace transmission; message is textual only," the robot reported. It made a few more clicking sounds, then spoke up again. "Tracing subspace signal: origin is a southern region of the planet Motavia."

Before Alis could ask any questions, a monitor sprang to life on the console in front of her. "Displaying textual message now," Hapsby informed calmly. Curious, Alis leaned over and started to read the message that was slowly scrolling across the screen.

Alis! Noah! Please return to Motavia! I need your help! I have discovered important information that will help you defeat Lassic! -Tarzimal

"What does it say?" said a curious voice. Alis turned to her right to see that Myau had awakened, and was now perched on Hapsby's swerving head.

"It-It's a message from Tarzimal," Alis said hesitantly. "He-he says he needs our help, and that he knows of some way of beating Lassic."

The mention of his former master's name snapped Noah to attention. "Then let's change course!" he exclaimed with a directness that annoyed Alis. He made it sound as if he was the boss.

"I second that," said Odin. "If Noah's old teacher needs our help, we should go to him. Besides, if he really has some information that'll give us an edge against Lassic, we can't pass that up."

Alis looked from Noah to Odin, and then down at Myau. One look at the musk cat's face told Alis that he agreed with the others.

But for some reason, Alis had a bad feeling about all this. They had just scoured the entire Algo system and gotten almost everything they felt they needed for tracking down and killing Lassic, judging from all the information they had gleamed in their travels. What other information could there possibly be that they'd need? And why hadn't Tarzimal said anything when they visited him at his hideout, when he gave Noah his final test? There was something about all this that didn't sit right with Alis.

And she didn't hesitate to voice her doubts. "Listen, guys. This sounds fishy to me. Something about this just doesn't feel right," she said tersely. "Besides, I'm sure we have everything we need to take care of Lassic for good."

"I disagree. Against Lassic, we'll need every advantage we can get," said Myau. "I'm willing to take a detour and see what Tarzimal has to offer."

"But why didn't he at least mention what he found in his message? Why make us go to him?" Alis protested.

"I'm sure he has his reasons, Alis," Noah said pleadingly, obviously sensing her doubts. "Please Alis, let's go to him. Lassic isn't going anywhere, and Tarzimal may have found something that'll allow us to easily beat him."

As she looked from Noah to Myau to Odin, Alis realized the real reason she was being so reluctant was that she didn't want to put off the raid on Baya Malay Tower any longer. But it was all too obvious that her companions all felt differently. "Fine, you all win," she grumbled. "We'll head for Motavia."

"Adjusting course headings," Hapsby said calmly. Alis could feel the ship's direction change slightly as the robot altered its course.

Whatever information he has, it'd better be worth it, thought Alis irritably, sitting with her arms folded. Her instincts were telling her something was wrong, and she was eager to begin the hunt for Lassic, but she saw there was no convincing her friends to change their minds. This better not take long. I swore I'd kill Lassic for Nero, and the sooner I do it, the better.


A commerical scapeship departed from Palma's spaceport, the very same spaceport Alis's brother once worked at, heading straight for Motavia, just as the Luveno was at that very moment. The chartered flights from the Algo's systems spaceports had become unavailable to Alis's band soon after they had all joined together; thanks to all the trouble they caused, the Robotcop forces were put on higher alert, and the spaceports were now used for official business only, all other passports being revoked.

This was of no consequence to Alis's group. With Dr. Luveno's ship, they could go anywhere in the Algo system, anytime they wished. But everyone else on Palma - anyone else who dared to lend a hand in the fight to overthrow Lassic - weren't so lucky.

That was the case with Leli, a young, petite, red-haired girl with compassionate, glistening, hazel eyes. She sat in the cargo area of the departing spaceship, sitting with her knees held tightly to her chest. It had taken all the meseta she had to bribe one of the spaceport workers to smuggle her onto this flight to Motavia, and she prayed that it would be worth it.

Leli had heard the rumors that had been circulating for weeks: a lone, teenage girl was plotting to single-handedly kill Lassic, and had even rounded up some brave souls to take up her cause. From what she heard, they were scouring the Algo system for anything they could use against the mad tyrant....

She found herself envying this girl, whoever she was. Leli had always been small and weak, unable to fend for herself. She only had one useful talent, only one way to lend a hand to anyone courageous enough to stand up to Lassic and his Robotcops.

But will it be enough? thought Leli morbidly. I-I tried to help the resistance movement with my skills, but they-they still.... The memories came flooding back, arriving at the secret meeting place underneath Camineet, seeing the entire resistance cell she wanted to help wiped out by Robotcops hours before, their lifeless bodies littering the corridors.

Blinking back tears, Leli looked to her side, at the various storage containers she had brought with her. They all housed her creations, something she had put her heart and soul into building after her resistance cell was wiped out, using all the money and resources she had.

The last I heard, this girl's group was heading for Motavia, for whatever reason, thought Leli. I've got to deliver this to her. This may be the one thing that'll help her turn back Lassic's armies.

The ship shook slightly, causing Leli to topple over and nearly making her cargo containers slam into her. Grunting, she picked herself up off the floor and got back into her sitting position. As she resituated herself, her thoughts drifted back to this brave girl she never met. What could have possessed her to try something like this? Does she think she can succeed where all the resistance groups failed? Leli silently wondered. I just hope my work can help her do it. It's the only thing I can do. I can't pick up a sword and fight like this girl can....

As Leli's anguished thoughts raged in her head, the spacecraft continued its trek toward Paseo on Motavia, taking her, and her creation, toward an adventure and a destiny that awaited the brave girl she never met - Alis Landale - which would help that brave soul accept a fate and a responsibility far greater than she could possibly imagine.