- Text Size +
Victim of Love

Chapter 9 : Hot Pursuit

Christina tried to tail the rickety old pickup truck but it figured Glen would play dirty. In their hasty attempt to get away, they were inconsiderate in cutting off some of the exiting traffic, creating a right lane on the curb with which to make their escape. They darted out in front of the crowd of cars and onto the main road while Christina, Brittany and I were to left in the dust to watch in frustration.

As the car slowly crept to the corner to take that right turn, I noticed Brittany's eyes darting about in a hurry.

"There's no police around, just go!" Brittany blurted out.

"What?" Christina asked.

"JUST GO!!" Brittany shouted.

"B-But this is my mom's car!" Christina clamored.

I remained frozen and silent while their argument carried on. After a few tense moments between the ladies, Christina floored it and pulled a similar illegal manuever, bypassing the few cars in front of us to pull up on the curb and cut onto the main road, creating a stir of noise from the opposing cars. She continued to accelerate onto the main road and while we had lost some distance, Glen's truck was fading off ahead up a hill.

"Br-Brittany" I stammered, trying to think of some way to catch them or at least see where they were going, "You dated Glen, right?"

"Yeah, don't remind me..." Brittany sighed, rolling her eyes somewhat.

"Well, you must know where he lives then... is that where they're heading?" I asked curiously.

"I don't know... I think?" Brittany stuttered, almost frustrated by my question. "Actually... no... they're taking a turn... Christina speed up"

Christina took a deep breath and again passed a few cars while going well over the speed limit. The pickup truck had taken a turn onto a somewhat remote road that none of us knew of. They careened down the road at breakneck speeds while Christina remained cautious because the road contained many harsh turns and drops.

"Bobby, honestly..." Christina tsked, talking to myself as well as Brittany as she slowed down a bit. "I've lived in Montville my whole life and know some of these off-roads... this road I'm not familiar with"

Brittany and I groaned.

"Do you at least know if there's anything around here?? Any kind of building? Houses?" Brittany asked.

"Again, Brit, I don't know this road... this is the sticks... and Montville itself is kind of the sticks, so we're in ... like the sticks' sticks" Christina sighed.

Part of me saw the humor in her attempt to be funny but I also remained fixated on the tail-lights of the truck as it weaved its way through the narrowing road and the trees.

"Is it possible they're just trying to lose us?" I asked.

"Hmmm..." Brittany thought. "I don't know..."

"No, he's right..." Christina said, "they were speeding big time before this and they seem to be slowing down at least a little..."

This particular road seemed to serve no purpose other than to be a somewhat scenic view of the woods and in fact, after a bunch of winding and hills, it connected back to the main road at a later point. I noticed the truck slow to a near stop, taking a rare moment to wait for traffic before making a turn.

"Hold on Christina..." I squeaked, getting Brittany's attention, I said to the giantess, "tell her to slow down"

"What, why?" Brittany gasped.

"Please... I think I have an idea" I said.

"Bobby says to slow down" Brittany said.

"Are you sure?" Christina asked, eliciting a nod from myself.

"They're never going to go anywhere we want them to if they keep seeing your car behind them... we're far enough behind now where they may have thought they lost us..." I explained.

"But how does that help us?" Brittany sighed.

"It may, it may not... it doesn't appear they're headed back to Glen's house but they're definitely trying to lose us. Hopefully when they think we're gone, they may go off to where-ever their destination was" I said.

"Okay but the fact of the matter is, we can't stay out this long without my mom wanted her car back" Christina sighed, "not to mention, we can't just stalk them out all day... we have to catch them at some point"

"I know that" I groaned. "We can still tail them... just from a safer distance"

As Christina's car neared the top of the hill where the truck was, we noticed the truck had already taken a turn, as it's backside vanished towards the right. Christina sped up and took a right after a car had passed us.

"I hope you know what you're doing..." Christina frowned, turning back onto the road to continue the pursuit.