- Text Size +

The evening was turning about as bad as I had expected.  With it being busy Jennifer was constantly moving around and I was jostled around in her pocket with her keys frequently scraping against me.  At one point something outside had crushed me briefly between itself and Jennifer's leg.  Probably another an employee or a customer squeezing by in a crowded hallway.  


I was quickly longing for the boredom that defined most of the day shift after another sudden movement sent me careening into the keys for the fifth time in the last hour.  I was getting bruised and battered just from them cleaning the theaters.   I was also hungry and getting exhausted from constantly trying to hold onto the side of the pocket so I wouldn't find myself under the keys instead of beside them.  
A louder banging sound told me that Jennifer was going outside.  I assumed to dump trash or something.  A small bit of light surprised me as long fingers that I wouldn't seen as being thin back when I was normal sized came reaching down towards me.  Or so I thought until they shoved me aside like unwanted detritus and instead grabbed the keys pulling them out.


I then heard Jennifer's voice.  "Any small key will work.  You don't need a specific key to turn on the compactor."   So there was someone new at usher working tonight.  I idly wondered if it was someone I knew who just had never been assigned to the spot or someone I had to meet yet.  And if the latter would they show me to them at some point or was I going to be the older employees little secret?  
Cold air hit me again as Jennifer opened up her pocket once more and a heavy blow had me seeing stars as a massive weight came down upon me.  As my vision cleared I tried to move but the weight of Jennifer's keys was too heavy.  It looked like I was going to be stuck here unti her break.


Each step was agony as the keys would move, scraping against my skin.  Soon I heard the sound of music playing outside followed by my titaness captor settling down somewhere.  Apparently I wasn't going to escape even during her break.  I wondered if she remembered she had me but considering previous times under her care odds were that she did, she just didn't care.  The only plus side at least for ten to fifteen minutes or so she wasn't moving.  At this point I was going to take what I could get.


Sadly the time went by far too fast and soon I was being battered even worse than before as Jennifer went swiftly cleaning theaters and restrooms.  I pretty much lost track of time.  It was just a constant beating and I was almost afraid to imagine what my back probably looked like.  It was almost certainly a mix of nasty bruises and cuts.  


At some point I realized that Jennifer was sitting once more and after a few minutes more of this I figured it had to be her half hour break.  She then shifted and her hand slid into her pocket, casually pushing the keys that had me pinned to the side before two fingers pinched my left leg between them and drug me out.  I found myself flailing through the air as Jennifer lifted me up before letting me go.  I landed on a white kind of foamy surface that it took me a few moements to realize was some sort of styrofoam container.   From the smell of the food surrounding me I assumed it was from one of the local food places and I seemed to be standing in a little side bin where you'd normally put the condiments.  


A giant noodle covered in some sort of brownish sauce fell down beside me.  "You have fifteen minutes.  Hurry and eat."  Jennifer's voice rolled down over me before she turned back to eating her food.  I was actually surprised.  I'd honestly assumed that food was not going to be a thing tonight.  


"Shouldn't you give him something  to drink as well?"  Another familiar voice thundered from above as another face appeared above me.  Klarita smiled down at me, an interesting companion to Jennifer.  The only thing the two had in common was that they were both fairly tall girls standing around 5'10" or so.  But outside of that they were quite different.  Klarita was somewhat chubby and more heavily built to Jennifer's thin form.  And of course Klarita had a noticably larger chest than Jennifer.  She had dark brown hair to Jennifer's light and extremely dark brown eyes in contrast to Jennifer's pale blue.


Their personalities were also quite different.  Where Jennifer was somewhat cold and distant even when I'd known her before, Klarita was chatty and bubbly.  Unlike Alexis she wasn't actually that ditzy.  Just a very gregarious personality.  Plus she generally seemed to be a reasonably nice person.  Unfortunately she'd given in to peer pressure.  I strongly suspected that if it'd been her who'd found me I could've probably convinced her to help.  Unfortunately everyone else had convinced her otherwise.  Still she was the most considerate of the bunch.  Even if after three months I was beginning to think that in her mind she was starting to file me under "pet" rather than person.  


"Yeah yeah.  Here."  Jennifer's hand rose above me, a small red cup that looked like one of my prisons in it.  She tilted it and a wall of clear fizzing liquid poured out of it.  Not much from her perspective but quickly filling to slightly above my ankles in my part of the container.  I could see it browning slightly where it touched the noodle and kneeled into it, sipping at what was clearly Sprite.  This was the first liquid I'd had all day and I wasn't going to look a gift horse in the mouth so to speak.


Dinner passed quickly after that and before I knew it I was once more tossed into Jennifer's pocket.  At least once more I was above rather than below the keys and while uncomfortable and occasionally smacked around, it was nowhere near as bad as the prior period had been.  Plus it turned out shorter as most of the shift had been before their dinner and not after.  


Finally the evening reached it's end and Jennifer's fingers wrapped around me pulling me out and dropping me in a new cup prison.  I got a brief look at her face before it was blocked out by the lid she clamped on top and then was sent tumbling once more as she put it wherever the they stored me when someone didn't have me.  

I breathed a sigh of relief.  At least for a little bit I could rest.  As I listend to the clatter of things being cleaned and shut down the only question remaining was how the day would end.  I figured I had 50/50 odds of it really being over.  Maybe slightly better seeing how busy today had been.


Shouts of good night reached my ears and as I listened to the various massive forms bounding out I sat quietly.  Usually the answer of how the night would end was quick in coming.   My prison tilted suddenly as it was lifted into the air and I knew that no my day wasn't over.


The cup continued turning until I slid down into the lid.  Outside I could see the blurred form of fingers wrapping around the lid and with a pop it came off and I slid out and onto a rough ugly green surface that I recognize as the floor.  I'm barely starting to stand up when a gigantic black objects slams into the ground adjacent to me causing me to fall back out.  


I look up from the dark black work shoe towards the equally dark black pants that rise far above me until they hit a wall of pale blue of the short sleeved shirt the titaness that is staring down at me is wearing.  Extremely dark black hair that I know goes half way down her back frames a smiling chubby face that is a very light shade of brown.  Eyes as dark as her hair give me an appraising look that makes me shiver.


In her mid 30s, Caroline has been a manager here for almost a decade and is the house manager, basically in charge when the general manager isn't in.  While we weren't close, I thought that at least we were friendly acquaintances.  Then again who was friends with their play things?  And as I watched Caroline's right leg rise in the air and saw the tiny chunks of dirt and crushed kernals stuck to the bottom of her shoe as she raised it over me, I prayed that the final movie would get out soon.