- Text Size +

Humanity didn't have much time to mourn those who died in the tragic spacecraft crash. They immediately had to focus on coming up with a new strategy to attempt to save their planet. NASA had began construction on a newer, safer, spacecraft; but the majority of humanity had lost their trust in NASA, and the project was soon scrapped. World leaders and top scientists were stumped. Escape wasn't a likely option and nobody was too keen on living the rest of their lives in underground bunkers.

 

Out of nowhere, a man burst into the situation room. "I've figured it out, everyone! I found a way we can survive Sophia's wrath!" he exclaimed. Naturally, since nobody recognized the man, they were skeptical, but not really in a position to ignore any ideas they reluctantly agreed to listen. "Now, I know this sounds crazy, but hear me out on this. I've ran the numbers and I figured the safest place for us is not on this planet" he explained. "No shit, Sherlock. But we can't escape the planet. We don't have the resources, and we don't want a repeat of the spacecraft tragedy" retorted one of the scientists. "Ah, yes, but you didn't let me finish. The safest place for us to live is Sophia herself. Specifically, in her mouth" he continued. The scientists looked at him like he was insane. "Mad man! How could we survive in mouth? You're a lunatic, we'd be swallowed immediately! And if not, what happens when she eats? That or we'd drown in her spit or be wiped out instantly by her tongue. Get out of here with that nonsense!" yelled a military general. "I understand your concerns, sir. But here is a map of the mouth. In this back corner, right where her wisdom tooth was removed, we'd be perfectly safe. I also ran some data, the temperature inside her mouth would be ideal for farming. I've also created a prototype for a device that could filter saliva into drinking water. Lastly, for food, we could survive of small crumbs of food that will naturally be in her mouth until we get a sustainable food source going" he said, showing off the map and prototype to the people in the room.

 

Everyone was dead silent. "Ok, even if you're right, how do you propose we get inside her mouth?" said one of the scientists, finally breaking the silence. "Unfortunately, that is the major flaw in my plan. As you've mentioned, we don't have the resources to relocate the entire population, nor do we want to risk another crash involving a spacecraft. My only solution is that Sophia, perhaps out of curiosity or boredom, simply places the planet into her mouth, and while it would still be a massive task to move to the back corner, it's much more feasible than doing it from here" he explained. Silence fell upon the room again. "I suppose... if there's no serious objections or better solutions" the scientist replied. Everyone shook their heads slightly. "Then I propose we move forward with this man's plan. All in favour?" she asked. Slowly and reluctantly, everyone in the room raised their hands. They got to work on the relocation as fast as they could.

 

The next several days were unusually quiet, and the interaction with Sophia had been minimal, as a result of her schedule with school being more hectic and her mom having more time off work to spend with her. This was great news for humanity, as they had time to work on getting small but quick spacecrafts ready that would be used to travel across Sophia's mouth if and when the time came. Supplies that would be used to rebuild their society were being loaded onto the crafts. Factories were working round the clock on the salivia filter device the man had invented. Everyone in the world, a population greatly reduced to around 100 million, was being taught how to survive in their soon to be new home. Reaction to the plan was generally positive, although unsurprisingly met with skepticisim and concern. Many weren't convinced Sophia would ever put the planet in her mouth, as it had spent a lot of time on her floor, and she typically only fondled it with her fingers or briefly rolled it with her foot, spending most of its time in her pocket or on her desk.

 

The few days of quiet had ended. It was now spring break for Sophia, and her mother had just left for Phoenix on a business trip. Sophia would be home alone for almost a week, with no school to occupy her time. Humanity rushed as fast as they could to complete the spacecrafts. No time for proper testing. To their surprise, the man's prediction became a reality much quicker than anticipated. On the first morning of Sophia's spring break, she was lazily typing away on her laptop. She looked over at the marble sitting on her desk. "Y'know, that thing has a funny smell to it. I kinda wonder what it tastes like, maybe its good" she said outloud. The reaction on the planet was a mixture of joy and panic. Yes, their plan could now go into effect, but it was still scary, and the chances of it actually working were very low. They hadn't built nearly enough crafts to fit everyone, which they knew would be impossible, but they still hadn't built as many as they had hoped. Only about 100'000 people were able to board. Sophia picked up the planet and gently rolled it off her palm and into her mouth.


The moment the planet passed her teeth, the crafts launched, making an immediate beeline for the back corner. Powerful lights showed the way as Sophia closed her mouth. Many looked back with great sadness as their planet rolled across her tongue. Then the unexpected happened. Sophia moved the planet to between her teeth, and bit down hard. The people on the crafts looked on in horror as the planet split in two large pieces, with fragments flying everywhere. Magma oozed out and onto Sophia's tongue. "Ahh! Hot!" she screamed, and spit the marble into a trash can. "Dumb marble, tasted awful anyway" she muttered. By some incredible miracle, not a single space craft was spat out. Many were thrown off course, but none crashed and soon sorted themselves out and continued the journey to the back corner.