- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

This story was done as a commission for an anonymous user.

If you can't tell by the tags and rating, this is a much lighter and fluffier affair than my usual stuff. Expect a lovably cuddly giantess, some silly fantasy tidbits, and a very pissed-off dragon. Hope you enjoy.

Interested in commissioning me for your own custom story? I can write your ultimate macro fantasy, from a wide range of genres and lengths. Read details here: https://thejacksmith.deviantart.com/journal/Story-Commissions-698491757

Argus flapped his wings once more, then dive-bombed through the clouds until he could make out the pitiful sight of the sprawling village below. He would return to burn their little huts in due time, after he laid waste to their castle on the horizon and bested the champion. Besides, their little straw huts and pitchfork weapons would prove boring to combat, whether he chose to cook the villagers with his breath or simply smash them under his claw. For a being as immense as Argus, whose smallest talon was still longer than the mightiest human guardsman, it wasn’t enough of a challenge.

            His true task awaited beyond, however, somewhere around the castle, as usual. In fact, Argus was surprised he couldn’t see her already, given her gigantic height and her semi-regular growth spurts.

            The princess Narina.

            After their first meeting twelve years ago, during which Argus arrived to ravage the kingdom and kidnap their royal daughter as a prize, only to find a youthful golden-haired giantess standing in his way, a rivalry for the ages was begun. At least, Argus saw it that way; Narina only ever seemed to treat him like a beloved traveling petting zoo, especially in light of the fact that they first squared off when she was a child. Even then she was big, and continuing to grow all the time, though regardless of her curse, she was never in anything but the sunniest and most singsong of dispositions. Argus was about half her size for that first tussle, and despite his sharp claws and flaming exhalations, he couldn’t do much more to harm her than tear the threads of her dress. Like some petulant kitten. Meanwhile, Narina was so insistent on gently rough-housing him, followed by kissably cuddling, that Argus was scared off by sheer humiliation. He’d flown back to his lair while listening to Narina tearfully cry “Come back, puppy!” across the land with every wingbeat.

            But not this time. While the dragon had suffered dramatic defeats in years past, this occasion would be far different. He’d been absorbing dark energy from the ancient earth below his lair for three-hundred-sixty-five days and nights, striking fear into the hearts of the surrounding provinces, and turning all would-be warriors to a crispy char. He was more powerful than ever before, and was confident that this year, he’d be the victor over Narina.

            As Argus got closer, however, he still couldn’t see the princess. Had she forgotten about their yearly war? This possibility infuriated the dragon, and he landed heavily in the grassy field before the fortress walls encircling the castle. No giant fair maiden to be seen, and Argus was certain she couldn’t be within the walls, because the tallest tower of the palace scarcely reached the height of Narina’s thigh last year.

            Perhaps he’d take his prize without a fight. Argus was pleased at the prospect of incinerating the kingdom unopposed, but he was also disappointed. Narina was the only being he’d encountered in a quarter century of life who had ever come close to opposing him, let alone defeat him year after year. Without a princess to battle, it was still a spiritual loss.

            As if by divine answer, the sky-high mountain overlooking the royal structure rumbled. Curious, Argus looked to the snow-capped peak, and watched in shock as the princess appeared from behind the mountain itself. With no effort whatsoever, she navigated the mountainside, daintily clambering down the hill, and arriving back beside the wall. Dressed in a simple sea-green gown, with her silken blonde locks combed lovingly over her shoulder, the princess was just as beautiful and radiant as ever, wearing a captivating smile that accentuated her bright eyes and kind countenance. She also happened to be absolutely colossal.     

            Argus gawked, taken aback. Was this truly the same princess he’d battled annually for over a decade? He thought she was big last year, when she’d enlarged sufficiently to manhandle him with the ease of a lap-dwelling pussycat. This year, her foot, clad in its golden-stitched royal slipper, was roughly the same size as his entire body. She’d very nearly doubled in size.

            “You came, you came!” the young princess cheered, clapping her hands. She’d never abandoned her childlike spirit, despite the passage of time since their first encounter. Her fingers knitted together, and she almost swooned, bouncing softly on the balls of her feet. Even without jumping in glee, which would’ve propelled her full monumental weight into the air before thrusting it back down against the earth, the mountain itself seemed to quiver. Argus felt the ground quake beneath his claws.

            The massive dragon was suddenly aware that, while hunched on the ground, he was staring the princess straight in the ankle. Unwilling to give her yet another advantage, Argus quickly took wing, and flew up to the level of Narina’s face.

            “I wasn’t sure you’d be here this year. I remember you were kind of grumpy last time after all the fun we had,” Narina said somewhat bashfully, twiddling her thumbs behind her back. Her lips spread back into an ear-to-ear grin. “But I’m so happy you did!”

            “Enough pleasantry,” the dragon growled. Black smoke blew from his nostrils. “You know why I have come here.”

            “To play with me!”

            “To burn your castle, and kingdom, to the ground,” he corrected angrily.

            “Okay fine, but only if you play with me first!” Narina giggled. She took a step closer to where Argus hovered in midair, obviously unafraid of the comparatively miniature beast. The princess winked. “Deal?”

            “I do not make deals with you, wench.”

            “Aw, why not? That’s what you do for friends, you know.”

            “I am NOT your FRIEND!”

            “Are you sure? You sure do like coming back to play with me every year,” Narina reminded him. She reached up, her gentle yet enormous hand primed for petting, and stroked her fingertips along Argus’s ridged back. He blanched at the soothing contact, especially when she pinched his wing and gently massaged the flap between her thumb and forefinger. With her opposite hand, Narina casually twirled her finger through a long strand of honey-colored hair, just as any maiden might while gazing longingly out her tower window.

 

Chapter End Notes:

More to come. This will be a quick story, but it has a sequel I'll likely be posting eventually as well.