- Text Size +

The rest of the flight was uneventful to the majority of the aircraft's passengers, save for the woman in seat 16C and her passenger, stowed in her coat pocket. After landing, Alice was one of the first people to stand up, collect her bags, and step into the aisle. Most of the rest of the plane were still exhausted from the ordeal of flying. Nobody seemed to notice the now-empty seat on the plane.

The cool air of the jetway heightened Alice's senses even more. It must have woken up her passenger as well, because he started to move again. Walking briskly, Alice made her way up the jetway and into the terminal. Her fingers reached in to the pocket, brushing against the man in there as her fingers gripped her phone and withdrew it.

Alice grinned at the sensation of tiny flesh against her own. Magical. She followed the signs to ground transportation and slipped into a taxi. "Downtown Hilton, please," she said as the driver loaded her bags into the car. Once they were off, and the driver's attention was fully focused on the road ahead, did Alice look down at her phone. But instead of reading anything on the screen, she peeked into her coat pocket. Sure enough, there stood an exact likeliness of the man on the plane, waving at her intently. He had trouble standing on the slick, narrow fabric, especially as the car turned.

"Miss? You gotta put on the seatbelt. New company policy."

Alice smiled a toothily smile at the man in her pocket. "Of course, I wouldn't want to get you in trouble." She pulled the seatbelt across, clicking it in, then letting the slack slowly retract until the belt was pinning her captive against her breast. His movement slowed dramatically, but it was now all channeled into her. Alice sighed and closed her eyes, stifling a moan and turning it into a yawn.

A few minutes later, the cab pulled into the hotel. The doorman opened the door to the taxi, and Alice slid out. "Good evening, ma'am. Do you need anything out of your bags, or can I send them to your room?"

Alice handed the cabbie a crisp $50 note, then turned her attention to the doorman and the bellboy at his side. "Good evening Barry. It's good to see you again. No, the bags can go directly to my room."

Barry nodded. "Very well, ma'am. We'll have them ready for you."

Alice handed the bellboy $10 and watched him quickly head off with her bags. "Good lord, do they get younger every trip or do I get older?" Barry laughed quietly. "Of course, they get younger ma'am. We'll soon be running afoul of child labor laws if you make too many more trips our way." Alice laughed as she strode into the nearly-deserted lobby.

Another familiar voice greeted her from behind the reception desk. "Miss Alice, welcome back to the Downtown Hilton."

Alice stepped up to the counter. "Good evening, Emily."

Emily was an older woman, on the farther side of middle-aged, but her warm smile had a nearly grandmotherly quality. "Wonderful to see you Miss Alice. Here is your room key; shall we use the card on file?"

"Thank you, and yes."

"Excellent." Emily pressed a few keys on her keyboard. "You're all set. Enjoy your stay, and if you need anything, please don't hesitate to call."

Alice collected her keycard from the countertop and walked towards the elevators. She had slept more nights in this hotel than she had at home over the past two years. Rounding the corner, she passed the bar where the bartender was drying glassware.

"Well I'll be, what have I done to have you grace me with your presence again so soon?"

"Oh Sam, you know you don't have to do anything but say the word 'Expense Report' to summon me."

Sam smiled and set down the wine glass he had been cleaning. "Can I interest you in anything?"

Alice's mind flashed to the squirming in her pocket. There was certainly something she was interested in. "A glass of Merlot, please."

Sam looked under the bar quickly. "I'll have to go get a bottle, are you in your usual haunt?" Alice nodded. "Coming right up!" Sam said cheerfully as the elevator signaled it's arrival with a ding.

To anyone watching, Alice said, "I have no idea how he can always be so cheerful." But there were two people in that elevator.