- Text Size +

 

Prologue

 

No one knows why the Kaiju came for us. Sure, there are plenty of theories, but no one really knows. One day the oceans were filled with fish, plankton, and water. The day after that, Kaiju. Scientists thought they had discovered a new deep-ocean mammal. Well, they had much right. Problem was, they weren’t from our oceans. Or even our planet.

The first city hit was Sydney, Australia. There were scattered, unverified reports from all over the world before that, but Sydney had the television crews. The Sydney Crisis put Kaiju in people’s living rooms- where they have remained ever since. Nothing whips the populace into a frenzy better than a good Kaiju attack. Of course nowadays there is a lot less excitement than there was then… And more fear. A lot more fear.

 

Back in the beginning it was mostly Class Ones. That’s government shorthand for one hundred feet tall. Class Two is two hundred feet tall. The rest… well, you get the idea. And let's not even get started on why the measurements ended up in Imperial rather than Metric, we don’t have that kind of time. Nowadays we count ourselves lucky if all we get is a Class Two. ‘What difference does a couple hundred feet make?’ you might ask. The answer is simple: a Class One weighs around six hundred tons. a Class Three is over sixteen thousand tons. In other words, exponentiality is a bitch.

 

Stopping sixteen thousand tons of civilization devouring monster is no mean feat, which is why the Goddess Initiative handles it. Or as most like to call them, the G.I.- a little nod to the days when normal men and women fought normal battles for normal causes. Certainly not the global war for the fate of mankind that is being fought today.

 

So what is the G.I. exactly? That’s what you’re here to learn, right? Because you were one of those poor saps who hid in a bunker after Sydney and thought the whole world was coming to an end right then and there? Or maybe you held out until New York or Tokyo. Whatever the case, you should know that the only reason you’re not a Kaiju snack is that the G.I. found the Symbiotes before the Kaiju got too big for conventional weapons.

 

The Symbiotes are living antennae that broadcast and receive signals between dimensions. On humans they attach to the base of the spine and from there allow some pretty incredible stuff. Most importantly, they allow girls to grow to colossal size. Girls only- something to do with chromosomes. They also allow telepathic communication between the hosts of twin symbiotes. How Symbiotes perform these miracles supposedly has to do with absorbing ambient energy from neighboring dimensions, or something. Don’t sweat the details, the ‘how’ of it doesn’t really matter. What matters is that it works. You plug one Symbiote into an ‘Operator’, its twin into a ‘Goddess’, they sync, and presto: our greatest weapon against the Kaiju is forged.

 

For a while it even looked like we might turn things around and drive them back to whatever hell they came from. But you know what they say… All good things must come to an end.