- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Setup chapter!

 

---------------------

“SIERRA!” A female voice called out as the door to the bedroom flung open, “Honey!  You’re going to be late!”

“Ugh!” Sierra exclaimed, “COMING, MOM!”

Sierra sat at her dresser and looked herself over in the mirror.  She had turned 22 recently, just about a month ago.  She idly played with her ear length hair, which she had dyed blue, trying to adjust it just right.  She had pale skin and beautiful, piercing blue eyes and was wearing the designer jeans and a blouse with a blue floral design that was custom fit to someone of her size.  She had an average build, but she was also one of the unfortunate people who’d been shrunk in the epidemic that hit over a year ago, and stood at just a bit over one inch tall.

Still, being one of the shrunken people didn’t stop her from being who she wanted to be.  Especially now, with so many advances in technology and clothes for tinies, there was no reason why she couldn’t have nice clothes, or have dyed hair.  When the epidemic first hit and everyone scrambled to adjust to the needs of the small, her hair had started going back to the natural blonde she was born with, but luckily with the help of her mother she found a way to store small bottles of dye and toiletries in tiny thimble sized containers for her use.  And recently her mother was able to get her a mini house, which was now stored in her old room.  It had working plumbing, electricity, everything she could want or need in her own place.

Of course, that didn’t stop Sierra’s mother, Diane, from being overbearing at times.  Ever since Sierra shrunk, Diane watched her daughter like a hawk…. more so after a few ‘incidents’ in the beginning.  Sierra wanted to be free and independent someday, and sometimes her mother’s overprotectiveness was too much to bear.  The only time she ever really laid off was when Sierra was in her dollhouse, and even then she’d come check up on her three or more times an hour.

Still, Sierra had to admit, she’d probably be dead if it weren’t for her mother’s protective nature.  She shuddered as she remembered all the times she was almost eaten, or crushed, or worse.  Most of the time, her mom managed to step in before it was too late.  Yet despite all the danger, Sierra was steadfast in her resolve to one day only be reliant on herself.  Which is why she was getting ready for her interview at Infinity University.

At first when she was shrunk, Sierra became really depressed.  Her dreams seemed like an impossibility.  And then, she saw ‘her’ come on a news channel around a month ago, a little before her birthday.  This beautiful girl only a few years older than her, Valerie, who was in charge of a large scientific organization called ‘The Eye.’  She even seemed to be wearing this crazy contact lens that glowed as well.  She had been coming down hard on the world over the past month…  demanding environmental and technological change from the world’s leaders, something Sierra herself had always been passionate about. 

It didn’t just end there, either.  Valerie was calling for new laws and new improvements, not just for normal sized people, but for all of those who had been mysteriously shrunk.  Sierra could tell this Valerie girl was passionate in how she spoke about the tinies.. defending them against people who would simply write them off.  And she was so sure of herself.  Confident.  Powerful, and at such a young age.  Yet she also seemed so friendly and approachable.  To Sierra, she was more than inspiring.  Sierra wanted to be a part of this young woman’s vision, and a part of her world.  And what better way than going to the same school Valerie herself had attended?


Sierra fidgeted with herself in the mirror some more before giving up with a worried sigh.  ‘I probably should be thinking about what I’m gonna say at the interview than how I’m gonna look,’ she thought, ‘Besides, what are the chances I’d even meet with her today?’  She curled her lips as she stood in front of her mirror, silently criticizing her appearance.  “OKAY!” she yelled up at her mom, and walked through the door of her dollhouse. 

Diane was squatting down in front of the dollhouse at this point, impatiently waiting for her daughter to finish up.  She was 5’5 and a bit overweight, with long curly blonde hair and blue eyes.  She actually looked rather good for her age, and people mistook her for being in her mid thirties quite often.  “Well, it’s about time!  You know we have to be there on time to make a good impression!”


Sierra shut the door behind her, and looked up at her mother.  “This is really important to me, mom!  I have to make sure everything is perfect.  That I’m… perfect.”


“Sweety,” her mother began, “You’re already perfect!”  Sierra scoffed, as Diane continued, “And you got the grades to prove it!”

“Yeah,” Sierra replied, “Back when I actually WENT to school.  Years ago.”  Sierra started to tear up in frustration but caught herself.  She didn’t want to mess up any of her makeup, or have puffy cheeks going into what she thought of as one of the most important days of her life.


“I’m sure they’ll have some kind of make-up program.  If you’ll even need it!” Diane complimented.

Sierra lips curled into a stressed half-pout.  “Let’s just go.  Get this over with.  I’m totally tired of freaking out about this and just want it done,” she stated.  ‘Please let me get in,’ she  silently prayed.

——————————————————————————————————————————

Sierra sat in the tiny chair situated on top of the large desk in admissions, anxiously awaiting for the interviewer to get there.  Unsurprisingly, her mother made a big scene about needing to be in there with her daughter, but with a combination of the admission reps and Sierra’s own objections talking her down, they all managed to have Diane agree to sitting out in the waiting area.

Rubbing her hands together nervously, Sierra ran through all her talking points in her head.  ‘I have to sell myself,’ she thought, ‘Ugh.  How can I sell myself if I hate myself!?’  She looked down at her hands, her fingernails painted the same shade of blue as her hair.  They trembled no matter how still she tried to keep herself.  ‘I’m going to screw this up, aren’t I?’ she wondered despondently.

The door opened.  “Hiiiii-iiii!” A female sing-song voice called out. 

“Uhh,” Sierra began, her eyes slowly going wide.  Her nervousness gave way to shock and awe.  “Um!?  UM!?  UHH!?”

Valerie grinned wide, striding over to sit in the normal-sized person’s chair behind the large desk.  Her dark brown hair was straightened, and tied back in a ponytail.  She wore black dress pants, a white fancy blouse and a silk pink scarf.  Her makeup was done perfectly… and it accentuated her already beautiful features.  ‘She’s even wearing that contact lense,’ Sierra marveled, ‘The one that makes her eye glow with that mark.’  Spreading her hands and almost curtsying in her seat, Valerie exclaimed, “Ta-daaa!”

Sierra’s face went crimson as the room filled with Valerie’s sweet perfume, yet she couldn’t look away from Valerie’s cheerful face.  “You’re… you’re even more beautiful face to face.. Miss Valerie,”  she blurted out, before realizing how inappropriate and embarassing the comment would be.

Valerie leaned back in the chair and laughed loudly.  “Please, tiny lady!  Call me Val.  At least, for now,” she said, winking at the flustered tiny girl.

“I wasn’t… prepared for… I mean, don’t you have more important things to do with your time!?”

“Don’t worry about it homeslice!” Valerie smirked.  “I have… a way of getting around where I need to be.  Besides!  They told me allll about your application to this school.  And all the stuff you mentioned about me!  I mean, a lovely little lady like yourself?  How could I resist?”

“I.. I guess?” Sierra said in disbelief.

“So, talk to me, pretty lady!  You want to come to this school?”

“Well… yeah..” Sierra trailed off for a bit, before catching herself.  “It’s hard.  Being tiny.  You know?  And it’s gotten to a point where people don’t even care what happens to us anymore.  More bad things happen to us, and governments and the general public seem to care less and less.  Like we’ve been written off already. It’s gotten to a point where I don’t think it’s even safe to go out there without getting snatched up.  But here, you’ve done so much for us… those of us who attend this school, and who work for The Eye.  You’ve been making a place where even we can make some kind of life for ourselves.  And.. I want to be part of that world.  Where I can be an actual human being again.  Just… a part of something bigger, and better.”

“Kay, cool, you’re in!” Valerie said cheerfully.

“Wuh-huh?” Sierra replied, caught off-guard.  ‘That was… only my first talking point?’ she thought, shocked once more.

“Sure!” Valerie smiled, “You seem like a fine and intelligent young lady.  Passionate.  Wanting to change your situation.  Insert professional comment here,” Valerie giggled, “But you little people have been through a lot over the past year.  So, if you can sit there after all this time, and after facing all those challenges to still have the drive to persevere…” Valerie shrugged.  “Then who’m I to stop ya.”

Sierra sniffled, wiping away a happy tear that threatened to fall along her face as a sense of relief washed over her body.  “Th-thank you,” she said, her voice cracking a bit from sheer gratitude.  “So much.”

“Aw, nothing for it, honey!”  Valerie reached out and pet Sierra’s hair gently with her thumb.  Her thumb seemed to radiate warmth over Sierra’s body, and it sent a tingle of pleasure through Sierra’s body.  Valerie felt a sobering thought trying to rise up in her mind as she regarded the tiny girl for that moment.

Pushing the thought aside, Valerie stood up.  “I should be on my way now, little miss!  But I’ll tell them you’re all set to go.  I’ll see you around for sure, okay?” Valerie said happily on her way out.

“Yeah… yeah, that would be amazing!” Sierra replied joyfully.

 
——————————————————————————————————————————

As the door closed behind her, Valerie used her powers to teleport herself back into her office at The Eye, appearing there instantly.  “You saw her then, dear Valerie?” Gray asked as she returned.  He’d been awaiting Valerie’s return, knowing that she wouldn’t be long.  His dark hair slicked back, dressed in an expensive three piece suit adorned with a red pocket square.

“Oh yes,” Valerie responded, “God damn, Gray!  She was like a little blueberry!  It was almost impossible to not gobble her up right there!”

“Fear not, young Valerie.  You’ll get your chance,” Gray grinned wickedly, “Wouldn’t do if you had acted then.  Her mom was waiting just outside, after all!”

“Yeah yeah, ugh!” Valerie grunted, “I know.  She has to attend the school before we can disappear her away without much trouble.  That’s the smart thing to do.”


“Quite right,” Gray agreed.

Valerie took in a deep breath before exhaling slowly as the memory of her quick interview with Sierra played back through her mind.  'You want to be a part of something bigger and better, little girl?' Valerie mused, 'You should be careful what you wish for!’

——————————————————————————————————————————

Harvey took aim at his target and shot the last bullet in the clip of his six-gun, a loud bang disturbing the otherwise peaceful and secluded area where he practiced.  He was a man in his fifties, his hair wiry and graying, hazel eyes and a stubble beard.  He was wearing boots, blue jeans, a white t shirt, and a leather jacket.  Judging how his last shot hit his target, he gave a silent nod, sat down sighing and spun out the wheel of his gun to add more bullets.  ‘Gettin’ there,’ he thought.

Once he finished loading his gun, Harvey rubbed at his forehead as he regarded his piece.  His vision blurred, yet no tears fell from his eyes.  ‘You were all I had,’ he thought, giving a strained sigh.

Slowly getting to his feet, he strode up fifty meters to the picture he used as target practice.  Ripping it off the tree, he regarded his work up close.  All of his bullets managed to pierce Valerie’s smiling self in the picture.  Not one pierced an empty space.

Harvey felt his emotions wash over him like a brewing torrent, a mixture of sadness and fury.  Pressing his fingers into the photograph, he seemed to be looking through the picture itself as he recalled Valerie’s face.  “You draw dead man’s hand against the pale rider,” he whispered.

Chapter End Notes:

Been a while.  Think it's been almost a year since I started this series now.  Hopefully I still got it, baby!

 

I'm actually trying to keep ahead of this story by a few chapters (thanks @Frizzle for the idea) so I can make sure this gets fleshed out in a way that I'm content with... that means there's all sorts of content and chapters already written that no one knows about yet!  Buwahaha!