- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

CW: Puns


 

Intermission

A Brief Respite

It had so far been a quiet Sunday.  By chance or divine grace, Minus had been left alone for the entire morning, and was using his free time to eagerly catch up on his online life.

"I wonder if there are any new episodes of that show..." He asked quietly to himself, "I bet I could squeeze in an episode, just as long as-"

“Yo!  I need your pants!” Sum exploded into the room, practically knocking Minus's door off the hinges.

“Um, what?” Minus turned from his computer and quirked his eyebrows.

“It's a long story, but I need some little pants, so take 'em off.” Sum crossed over to Minus and lifted him up by his armpits, placing him on his feet.

“I don't, um, hey!  Just get-” Minus tried fultilely to push his sister away.

“This is important!  Hurry up!” Sum's hands snatched at her brother's waist, trying to unhitch his button fly, "Ugh, why don't your pants just have, like, a normal zipper?"

“Okay!  Okay, jeez, wait a sec.” Minus stepped back and began to undo his own buttons, "Besides, button flies are cool."

"Um, no, they absolutely are not." Sum crossed her arms and tapped her foot impatiently.

After the ejection of leg from pant, but before the denim bequeathing, both Sum and Minus became suddenly aware of Plus's presence in the doorway.

“Unbelievable.” Plus rolled her eyes and stepped through the threshold.  She was holding a pair of knee-high, gray leather boots in one hand and her cellphone in the other.

“Um...this isn't...what it looks like?” Minus was not really sure what it did look like, as he stood in his boxers, extending his jeans to Sum.

“I don't care.” Plus grumbled, “I just received a text from our mother.  She says that you and I need to spend more...” Plus nearly spit out the next words, “...'quality' time, together.”

“Uhh...o...okay?  So...” Minus trailed.

“So, you're going in my boots for the rest of the day.”  Plus stated flatly.

“Wh-wha-why?  That's not quality time!” Minus's eyes darted to his sister's feet, noting her distinct lack of socks.

“On the contrary, the leather of these boots are very high quality.” Plus said.

There was a moment of silence before Minus and Sum gasped loudly, hands slapping against their cheeks.

“Plus, did you...” Minus began.

“...just make a joke?” Sum finished, “I'm...I'm so proud of you!”

"Who knew she could?" Minus asked incredulously.

"I feel like a momma bird seeing her chick fly for the first time." Sum sighed.

“Stop.” Plus commanded, putting up her hand and interrupting the histrionics of her siblings.  “Sum, please compress our brother.”

“On it!” Sum gleamed and turned towards Minus.

“Ack!” Minus yelped as he tossed his pants towards his sister and attempted to dart away.

“Gotcha!” Sum shouted, knocking away the airborne cloth and tackling Minus to the floor, “Get ready to be toejam, nerd!”

“Noooo...” Minus's voice began to fade in his sister's full body hold, "...still, good one Plus..."

-To Be Continued-

Chapter End Notes:

AN: A moment of levity before things basically go way south for Mr. Minus.