- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

An intro to who and where is being impacted by a future screw up in a Lab.

In 1673 Switzerland a girl by the name of Justine was getting beaten again after burning dinner due to leaving the meat over the fireplace too long. Her father then yelled “Damn it, I spent hour's hunting in deep woods and you burned our food again you stupid worthless girl. Go take care of your brother and let me cook something so that it's not ruined by your worthless hands. And don't even think for a moment you will be getting any supper tonight after ruining my hard fought meet.”

Justine went into her brothers room with a cup of water from the well out back knowing he can no longer do that himself. Last year he got into a fight and was pushed off a cliff. Now he is paralyzed from the waist down and all Justine can think about is that day when she is reminded of him being unable to stand on his own two feet. Once Justine entered the room he said “So you left it on for too long again. I am sure you will get it right next time because your not the quitting type.”

Justine then replied with a smile “Kevin I hope you don't become the quitting type, because we love you no matter what.”

Kevin then with a jeer said “I know you're my sister, but I have earned my death and yet in spite of not being able to stand on my own as a man I live. I know you care deeply for me, but I am just a useless waste. Who will take a shell of a man's hand in marriage or respect a man unable to pull there own weight? It would have been more honorable if he had killed me, but instead I am but not even half of a man like this. You know that father only sees me as a great shame and waste on our family now. Your the only one left who cares so there is no we in loving me. You know that and don't think I am blind just because I can't stand Justine.”

Justine stood quietly realizing how much pain he was in while ignoring her own busing's and the blood running down the back of her neck. Getting down on her knees Justine now next to Kevin's bed say's trying to smile, “I guess your right about dad, but don't discard my feelings by begging for death to come. Even if everyone in town said your in dishonor I would embrace you and say it doesn't matter to me. If no girl shall accept your hand in marriage then I will be yours even if we must keep it hidden.”

Kevin feeling embarrassment replies, “I am sorry for being so angry and for saying being dead would be better. It's just I wish I could stand up for you like I used to do before this happened to me. I know it wouldn't stop him, but being totally powerless is horrible.”

Justine patting Kevin on the head then gives him a kiss on the forehead before saying, “That's okay, I am not a little girl anymore and I know better than anyone else how much you care about me. I just want you to be happy even though......”

Justine abruptly began to cry as she couldn't help feeling guilty for what had happened to him even though she had nothing to do with it. Kevin knew Justine had been beaten again, but he couldn't find the words to comfort her about it. Instead he just let her cry on his chest while resting his arm over her back. After a while of just sitting still in his room, Justine still with tears running down her cheeks suddenly runs outside into the back yard. Kevin deeply depressed, felt hopeless in his crippled state as he fell asleep.

Justine outside getting down on one knee in front of the largest tree in the backyard, with faint moon light illuminating the sky whispers under her breath, “If there is any justice left my brother should gain a good loving wife and my father should be in the ground. I would do whatever it took to see my father dead and my brother happy.”

Chapter End Notes:

Justine might just get her wish but not quite the way she likely would have guessed.