- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Almost there!
I sit back down quiet.
"Oooo Astronomy, excited?"
"Kylie, not the time." I say in a bland voice.
"Someone's mad"
"Kylie stop."
"You're being a real dick you know?" She stood up and moved somewhere else.
The ceremony went by and I was walking home. I saw Kylie with her white friends. It seemed like she was talking about me since she kept glancing towards my direction. But I don't really care, all I want to do is get home.

I arrived and my mom did this party she bought this big cake and grandma bought a few presents. I got a new Xbox game called NBA 2k27. I love NBA, too bad Lebron retired. Now theres Giannis Antetokounmpo. He's pretty good. Only few selected people go in to the sports ambition, but where I live we can't, only the people from the big cities make it. They're supposedly "better". When my mom figured out I was now in Astronomy I started packing to go to America, our neighbouring country. They too have racial segregation it will take some papers for me to get across the borders. The school there in America is supposedly the best. I'll learn how to become an astronaut.

While driving south we passed by Vancouver a big city in Canada. All of a sudden my mom piped up. "I got a letter, from the school. They have a special task for you."
"What do you mean?" I replied
"That's all they said, they also said your training will only be 24 hours. So I suppose you'll be up there by tomorrow" she points at the sky.
"Wait what? Tomorrow? 24 hours of training? You make it seem like it's nothing! Your own son, going up into space, with god knows who!" I yell
"I know, I know, but you're gonna need to get used to this. Basically almost your whole life, is up there. This is why they chose you to go into Astronomy because they think you can handle it."
"Maybe I didn't wanna go into Astronomy! All of my white friends got into what they wanted, all my black friends got into the worst ones. Is there not something wrong with that?" I yell.
"I don't know Evan, all I know is you need to focus on your job not those white folks or black folks or whatever race. Focus on you."

The car became silent
"Well we made it, good luck" my mom said.
"Good luck? Aren't you coming?" I question.
"They only asked for you. They should be here to pick you up"
All of a sudden there was a knock at the door. A man wearing a black uniform like a police officer.
"Papers?" He asked
"Here" My mom replied
"Astronomy? Huh? One of the lucky ones" The man snickered
He stamped me papers and told me to get out of the car. He patted me down and directed me towards this Black SUV.
"Don't forget to keep intact with me Evan!" My mom yelled
"I won't!"I yelled back
Once I made it to the SUV all of a sudden I felt a pinch in my neck, everything went black.