- Text Size +
As soon as I entered the home, I was greeted unfriendly by my housemates.

"Look, the midget is back!" Kevin shouted.

"Aww man, I hoped he was dead." Carly chimed in.

"Children! Be nice to James! If anyone else says something mean, you can go straight to bed!" Our guardian Alice declared.

Most of the kids at the home didn't give me a problem, except for Carly and Kevin. Kevin was thirteen years old. He was short for his age at less than five feet tall. However, he was still much taller than me. He picked on me constantly because it made him feel big and powerful. Since most of the kids were young, they feared him.

Carly was absurdly big for a fifteen-year-old girl. She stood six-foot-three and weighed well over two hundred pounds. The staff feared her, except for our new guardian, Allison. She was determined to keep Carly in check.

"Tell him to stop being so fucking short, it pisses me off!" Carly yelled.

"That's it, Carly! Go to your bed, no dinner for you!" Allison exclaimed.

Carly approached Allison with a smirk on her face. She was nearly a foot taller than Allison and about a hundred pounds heavier. She motioned her shoulders toward Allison, Allison flinched backward. Carly cocked her fist back and swung as hard as she could, striking Allison in the nose. Allison fell to the floor. After just a few seconds, her face was covered in blood.

"Oh my god! Allison screamed. "Mr. Hardaway, call the police!"

Mr. Hardaway was another guardian, Allison was the only one who went by her first name.

"Already dialing them." Mr. Hardaway said. "You're done now, Carly."

Carly took a step towards Mr. Hardaway, debating if she should take him on. Mr. Hardaway was the only guardian who was bigger than Carly. He stood six-foot-five and was moderately muscular.

"You best not try me, little girl. You already goin' to juvy."

Carly dropped her hands to her sides, deciding not to attack hin. She turned her attention towards me. I panicked as she started walking in my direction. I started to back away from her until I lost my balance and tripped. She bent down and grabbed my shirt with both hands. I squirmed relentlessly, trying to escape, as she lifted me up and slammed my back into the wall.

"This is your fault, you little fucking midget!"

She slammed me into the wall a few more times until she created a gaping hole in the sheetrock. I banged my head hard and started to feel dizzy. Mr. Hardaway ran over to rescue me.

"Now I'm going to jail... all because you always have to cry to the staff. You're a little piece of shit! I'm gonna squish you like a fuckin' bug!"

She slammed me into the wall a few more times until Mr. Hardaway got a hold of her arms. I was released from her grip and fell to the floor, dazed.

"Stop moving Carly! I'm not letting you go until the cops get here!" Mr. Hardaway yelled.

Carly continued to fidget but Mr. Hardaway didn't lose his hold of her. She finally submitted and sat down in a chair while Mr. Hardaway held her arms behind her back.

An ambulance arrived and took Allison away in a stretcher. She was barely conscious and full of blood. Her nose was horribly broken and she had a black eye. It was scary to see how much damage Carly had done with just one swing. If Mr. Hardaway hadn't intervened, she may have killed me.

"Are you okay, James? Do you need to go to the hospital?" Mr. Hardaway asked.

"No, I'm fine."

"Okay, glad to hear it. You won't have to worry about her anymore, buddy. She ain't never coming back here."

Less than a minute after Allison was taken away, the police arrived. Two squad cars showed up, four officers in total. Three of them restrained Carly while the other officer cuffed her. They drove her away in the squad car and I never saw her again.

I hadn't even been back home for twenty minutes and already Allison was in the hospital and Carly was going to jail. As crazy as life was there, that was the norm. Things were pretty quiet for the rest of the night. I walked up to my room and spent the rest of the afternoon working on my drawings. I liked to draw things so that I could show Lee, mostly because I liked hearing her say she's proud of me.

I went downstairs for a moment to grab a glass of water. Chad and Daren were sitting on the couch fascinated by the television. I decided to check out what was so interesting.

"Dude, come look at this." Chad instructed me.

"What is it?"

"The news is talking about that Kim Jong guy from North Korea. They're saying that he's gonna nuke us pretty soon." Daren informed me.

"North Korea has been saying that for years." I replied.

"No dude, this time it's for real. They already fired a nuke into the ocean. Kim Jong says he can decimate most of the U.S. with one bomb!" Chad said excitedly.

"Well, I wouldn't worry about it." I said confidently. "Even if he does nuke us, watching the news won't change anything."

"I guess you're right." Chad stated. "Wanna go play some basketball before it gets dark?" He asked Daren.

"Yeah, let's go."

"You coming, James?" Chad asked me.

"Nah, I'm gonna just chill inside."

"Waiting for your girlfriend to arrive? Haha."

"Shut up. She's not my girlfriend."

He was referring to Ms. Rose, another one of our guardians. She watched us over night, her shift was starting in a few minutes. At twenty-eight years old, she was the youngest of all our guardians. She was also the prettiest. Although she was pretty impatient with most of the kids, it was well-known that I was her favorite. Most of the time I spent in the children's home was torture but she was a breath of fresh air for me.

Ms. Rose walked into the home with an iced latte in one hand and a large purse hung over her shoulder. She wore a floral sundress and pink flip flops. Her eyes were covered with sunglasses and her black hair sat in front of her shoulders and ran down her chest.

"Hi, baby." She said as she closed the front door. She always spoke with a breathy voice that was soft and smooth.

"Hi, Ms. Rose." I responded.

She placed her belongings on the table behind the couch and walked in front of me, blocking the television. She bent down and held my head with her thumbs on my cheeks. She kissed my forehead, then crouched down in order to face me.

She was almost as pretty as Lee. She stood five-foot-eleven with a curvy figure. She had amber-colored eyes. She had wide cheeks and a slim nose. Her facial features were soft and attractive. She had small lips and very nice teeth. The cleavage of her plump, round breasts poked through the top of her sundress. I struggled to take my eyes off of them.

"I heard what happened with Allison and Carly." She said. "Are you okay, honey? I'm sorry I wasn't here to protect you."

She kept her hands on my face while I stared at her chest. She touched the tip of my chin with her index finger and directed my face upwards.

"My eyes are up here, sweetheart." She said sternly.

"I'm sorry... I, I didn't mean..."

"It's okay." She interjected. I'm just glad you're safe."

She slid her hands to the back of my neck and pulled my face into her bosom.

"You're safe now, sweet baby. I promise no one will hurt you again, not as long as I'm here." She promised, with my face planted between her breasts.

She moved her hands from my neck and slid them across my face, caressing my cheeks with her pink fingernails as she pulled her hands back to her sides.

"I have to go do something in the office, but I want to talk to you at bed time, okay?" She asked.

"Sure." I responded.

"It has to be in priiiivate though." She said as she twirled my hair around her index finger. Her voice was sultry and arousing. She held on to the word "private" as though she was implying something.

"Oh, okay." I responded, as if I understood her implication.

"Just wait for you roommates to fall asleep and then come downstairs... and don't tell anyone. Can you do that for me, sweet baby?"

"Yes. Anything for you, Ms. Rose."

"Good boy." She said as she smiled and patted my head twice.