- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Sam starts an experimental treatment learns a little more about the virus.

----- Tuesday, at the clinic

"Follow me, Mr. Cook."

"Yes, ma'am, nurse."

"You don't have to be so formal. We'll be seeing a lot of each other over the next few weeks. Call me Betty."

"Ok, then, Betty. Lead the way pretty lady."

Betty giggled. "You're a flatterer. Can I call you Sam?"

"Sure."

Betty led me to a big room with curtains cordoning off a bunch of little rooms and each one had a single bed and an IV stand and machine in it. I didn't like the idea of having needles stuck in my arm, but if it'll help me then I'm all for it.

I was led to room number 6. The curtains were pulled on all the other rooms.

"Ok, Sam. Take off your shirt and put on this robe."

"Don't I have to take my pants off too?"

"No. Unless you want to."

"Not really. When I had surgery they made me take off my pants and underwear too."

"What did you have surgery for?"

"My pituitary gland."

"I hope the surgery helped."

"It did. Thanks for asking."

"We only need you to put on the robe since we'll be putting in an IV and need your arm free. In fact, we'll be using both arms."

"That many drugs?"

"No. We use one arm to deliver the medicine intravenously; the other we use to take blood samples every so often."

Betty took my shirt as I pulled it off. I was staring right into her boobs. I got a little embarrassed and she noticed.

"Don't worry, Sam. You're not the shortest one here."

I perked up. "I'm not?"

"No. We have people here in various stages of the illness. Some have shrunk more than others."

"Do they all shrink the same?"

"No, they don't. It's a puzzle: we don't know why some shrink a little, or shrink faster, while others shrink hardly at all."

"I don't know that much about it."

"Don't worry. You'll find out all that we know about the disease.", Betty said. I was getting pretty excited about this.

I got comfortable in bed. Betty pulled over a rolling tray and went to work setting up the IV. She had another rolling tray with a laptop on it. She typed a few things, made sure the IV lines were in the machine and set it up. The laptop was left in the room with me.

"Ok, there you go. Someone will be taking blood from the other arm every half hour today. You'll be on the IV for two hours, but we'll need to take samples for another three hours. I'm sorry it'll last so long. The doctors will also come see you some time later. Any questions?"

"Will you still be here, Betty?"

"You can count on it. I'll be busy with setting up some of the other participants. But don't worry, I'll be looking in on you from time to time."

"Oh good."

"Did you bring a book?"

"No, I didn't think of it."

"Do you have earplugs?"

"No."

"You have music on your smart phone, right?"

"Yep."

"I'll see if I can scare up some headphones for you so you can listen to some music. In the mean time I suggest you try to relax and catch up on some sleep."

"Ok, I'll try. Thanks."

Every half hour someone, either Betty or another gal -- Leslie was her name -- would take blood samples into a test tube. Dr. Sarson came to see me early.

"So, how am I doing, Doctor?"

"Good, I'm sure."

"Are they working?"

"The drugs?"

"Yeah."

"We're taking samples of your blood every half hour to see how it is being taken up by your body. We can also tell how the virus is doing under these conditions. However, we have to bring your blood to our lab to test it. We won't know what the results are for a few days."

"Will you be able to tell me by Friday?"

"We will have the results then but we don't tell the results to the participants during the trial period. Have you heard of a double-blind study?"

"Yes, I actually do know what that is. I guess you won't be telling me results to guard against bias?"

"Very good, Mr. Cook. That is true."

"I have a degree in science, Doctor; I'm not completely ignorant of these things. But I never thought I would ever be the subject in one of these studies."

"Well, think of it this way: you're advancing science by being here."

"Cool. That makes me feel good, Doc."

"You'll do just fine. Do you have any questions?"

"A million of them. But I'm sure I'll find the answers later. Tell me though, when will I meet the other patients?"

"We call them participants, not patients. Once we finish with the IV we'll take that side out, but the tube in your other arm will be left in place so that we may still take blood samples. You can get out of bed at that time."

"Can I take off this robe and put my shirt back on then?"

"I'm afraid not. Not until we're finished with the tube in the other arm."

"Oh, ok. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone."

"I'm sure they're looking forward to meeting you too, Mr. Cook."

She was right. They took the needle out of my IV arm when they were done. I was led to another room and they gave me juice and cookies as a snack. They had a TV up in the corner; news was on. I wasn't interested.

It was mid morning and it seems I was one of the first to start. Soon others started coming into the room.

"Hi, I'm Sam Cook. Not that Sam Cook though.", I said to the next person to come into the room.

The guy chuckled. "Hi Sam. I'm Joseph. Joseph Chen. You can just call me Joe."

"So, how did it go for you?"

"Fine, I guess."

Joe was much shorter than me. About a head shorter. Boy did I find this interesting. I wanted to ask Joe all about it, but didn't want to be insensitive. I knew how touchy the subject was for me. I figured I'd find out soon enough. We'd probably be seeing each other for a few weeks. There was no hurry.

I met Marie next -- Marie Samuel.

"Hey, we have the same name, sort of.", I said. I know, kind of dorky, huh?

"I guess we do.", she replied. She was also shorter -- the top of her head only came up to my nose.

Then there was Cynthia Meneford.

"Call me Cindy."

"It's nice to meet you Cindy." Cindy was about three inches shorter than I. I was starting to get the feeling that I was the tallest participant. Then Susan came into the room. I had to look up to her. Only about two inches, but still...

"Hi Susan. It's a pleasure to meet you."

"Hi Sam. I hate these needles. I feel like a pincushion."

"I don't like 'em either, but I can put up with them if I have to."

"I wish we didn't have to."

"Well, they could save your life."

"I don't think this is going to save our lives, Sam.", Cindy said.

"Why do you say that?"

"Didn't they tell you? This virus can be deadly. People are starting to die from it."

"Isn't that what the medicine is supposed to do? Keep us from dying?", Susan asked.

"I thought it was to help us stop shrinking.", I said.

"Both. Right?", Marie finally spoke up.

"Did the doctors tell you that?", I asked her.

"Yes."

"See, Cindy? This medicine is supposed to help."

"But it's still experimental, Sam.", Cindy said.

"Well, I can see you're the life of the party."

"Sorry. We have to face facts here."

"Do you know this to be fact? That we're going to die from this virus?"

"No."

Others were getting a bad vibe too.

"Well, thanks for all the cheer, Cindy.", Joe said.

"Yeah, thanks alot.", Susan said.

"You're a real gas." and "I guess it can't be much worse." were some of other phrases directed at her. I had to do something to get the others off of her.

"Don't worry about it, Cindy.", I said. "We all have a lot on our minds. Let's just keep the thought that there are a lot of good people working on this. They'll take good care of us, ok?"

"Thanks, Sam. At least someone here has a good attitude.", Joe said to everyone.

I didn't want everyone ganging up on Cindy so I tried to start a conversation with her.

"So, what do you do for living, Cindy?"

"Apparently, I put my foot in my mouth."

"Don't be hard on yourself. I know you were trying to help."

"I teach ballet."

"Now that's interesting. I don't know anyone else who does anything like that."

"I have a college degree in dance."

"Mine's in Comp Sci. from Drumford College out west."

"Go Beavers!"

"I'm impressed; you know their mascot?"

"Bachelor of Fine Arts in dance from Drumford College."

"No!"

"Yes."

"When did you graduate?"

"Three years ago."

"I graduated two years ago. We were there together!"

"Small world, Sam."

"That's supposed to be a pun, isn't it? It's not funny."

"No. It wasn't a pun. I meant it."

"Oh, ok. Yeah, small world."

"I'm sorry. I should have known everyone would be sensitive. I'm really quite charming when you get to know me.", she said, batting her eye lashes.

"I'm sure you are, Cindy. It's still a big coincidence we went to the same school."

"I doubt that."

I thought a bit. "Ah, I see what you mean. I bet others picked up the virus there too."

"Hey, has anyone else here spent time in Arizona the past couple of years?", Cindy asked everyone.

"I have.", Gail said, just now arriving.

"Hi, my name is Sam. What's yours?"

"I'm Gail. Why did you ask about Arizona?"

Gail was the shortest of the bunch, only coming up below my shoulders. She was real cute too, or maybe I just wasn't used to pretty girls shorter then me.

"Did you go to the Drumford College?", I said.

"No. I followed my boyfriend out west."

"Oh no.", said Cindy. "Did you pick up the virus from him?"

"I don't know. We broke up two years ago. What about you?"

"I think I know who I caught it from. But it's not confirmed so I shouldn't say anything.", Cindy said.

"I'm not sure who I picked it up from. My doctor told me that they think it may have come from a mosquito bite.", I added.

"He's full of it. This virus is transmitted sexually."

"Who told you that?"

"The doctors here."

"Hmm. They didn't tell me."

"Did you ask them?"

"Well, no."

"Then ask next time."

"Ok, Cindy. We believe you."

"Sorry. I really didn't mean to upset you all."

"We know that." I was hoping that I was speaking for everyone.

"So, Cindy. Do you perform?", I asked her, trying to change the subject again.

"You mean dance?"

"Yes. Ballet, you said it was."

"Not anymore. I teach little girls. Little girls who are all getting bigger than me."

"I know how that feels."

"We all do.", someone said.

"I bet you're good." Of course, I didn't have anything to go on to back up that statement, but I wanted her to feel better. I noticed Cindy wasn't wearing a bra under her gown like the other girls.

Yes, go ahead and say it: I'm a little pervert.

But that suited Cindy. She did seem uninhibited. I was thinking she'd get along well with Erin.

"Eh, I'm ok. How about you? Into dance?"

"No. Did some intra-mural wrestling though. And Judo."

"Did you compete in Judo?", Marie asked.

"Just a bit. They really didn't have the right weight class for me. I still beat black belts though who were a lot heavier.", I boasted feeling proud myself just then.

"Sam, how big were you before you got the virus?"

"Only 4'10"."

"Wow, you were small. I would have thought you'd be a lot smaller by now."

"Why? How big were you before you started shrinking, Cindy?"

"Five foot four inches."

"How tall are you now?"

"Four one."

"You've lost over a foot." I realize then that I could shrink over a foot too.

"Oh my God. I could go down to three ten.", I said.

"Maybe less, Sam. I was five six before; now I'm three foot nine inches.", Joe said, shaking his head.

I was thinking, holy shit. I'm really lucky. Or I could just be starting my shrinking and I could also get that small. I felt ill.

Just then my name was called and they took me back to take another blood sample.

When I returned to the break room Cindy apologized for making me upset. I told her no problem and to stop apologizing.

"Let's talk about you instead, Cindy. Do you have a boyfriend?"

"No. Are you offering?"

"No. I didn't mean it that way. I have a girlfriend. I just wanted to see what others thought of your shrinking."

"No, Sam. No boyfriend. What does your girlfriend think of this?"

"Well, she started growing before I started shrinking."

"She grew? Did the virus do this to her?"

"No. She just had a natural growth spurt, I think. A huge one. She was four nine back when I was four ten. Then she started to grow and that was crazy."

"How big is she now?"

"You're not going to believe me."

"I want to hear this now that you mention it.", they all said, now listening intently.

"Ok. You still won't believe it until you see her. She's seven feet four and a half inches tall now."

"You're crazy, Sam.", Marie said.

"I gotta see this.", Joe said.

"I told you you wouldn't believe it.", I said.

Cindy said, "I believe you, Sam."

"I'm sure you'll all get a chance to meet her."

"So does she still like you with all the shrinking?", Joe asked.

"She's still getting use to her own new size. Our relationship has only grown stronger through all of it."

"Sounds romantic."

"Does anyone have plans for this Friday?", I asked.

"I don't.", said Cindy. "Why?"

"I perform at a little club for open mic on Fridays. You're all welcome to come see me and you'll get a chance to meet Julie."

"Cool. You perform in public, Sam?"

"Yes, Cindy. I do. That's why I asked you about performing in front of others earlier."

Cindy leaned in close so no one else could her and said, "You're very intriguing, Sam. I'm looking forward to meeting Julie."

We all talked for a while longer. They opened up another room for us that had a ping pong table. A few more participants arrived later and we all talked and got to know each other.

They had lunch for us: a cold cut platter, with bags of potato chips and soda and juice from the break room.

After lunch we had a big meeting -- all of us sitting together in a ring with some new lady as leader. Her name was Zoe. She was African American and wanted us to get to know each other, as if we hadn't just spent the last few hours doing just that.

"Let's start with you, Sam. Tell a little about yourself."

She took me by surprise. "You know my name already?", I said.

"Of course. I've seen you at Mike's."

"You have? Cool. I was telling everyone about that and invited them over this Friday. Except we'll be getting out a little late for it."

"I'm sure they'll accommodate you. I think inviting everyone is a great idea. Let's have a show of hands. Who can make out it to see Sam sing this Friday?"

Cindy and Joe raised their hands. Marie and Susan sort of raised theirs.

"What's wrong? Don't think you can make it?"

"I'm not sure.", Marie said. "I'll have to make arrangements."

"Me too.", said Susan.

"You should all come see him. Sam is very good. And I don't say that lightly. What else can you tell us, Sam?

I basically re-hashed what I had been talking about earlier. Then we went around the room with everyone talking about themselves a little. We also played the game where you tell everyone your name and then all the names of the people who introduced themselves before you. I thought I was going to get off easy since I was the first one. But Zoe told me I had to be the last and say everyone's name. It's a good thing I had been talking with all of them before.

When we were done we had another round of snacks as they took us all back to the big room with beds and took out the tubes in our arms and they let us put our shirts back on. We got out early. I found out later that this would be the norm.

We didn't get to do calisthenics they said because of the tubes still in our arms. However, we were not going to be needing that every time and we would exercising together on and off at these sessions. There were a few "ew"s going around at that.

Finally, we all said our goodbyes, especially to Zoe and Betty and went home before 7.

I had a lot to talk about that night with Julie and Erin.

 

Chapter End Notes:

I'm baaaaack. I'll put up the next chapter soon to make up for my abscence.