- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Bad news.

----- Thursday morning

I sent Julie off to work this morning. She wanted to come with me again to the doctor's office but I didn't want her to. If it were bad news I wanted to tell her myself, not hear it from the doctor. I told her some crap about they don't let anyone in with me unless it's my Mom or Dad. Of course, I didn't want them their either. Erin, perhaps.

Anyway, they sent me back to the doctor's office this time, no examination room. It was nice: big mahogany desk with mahogany book cases filled with all kinds of medical books. His desk was messy, but the leather chair was comfy. I wish my office were this nice.

I didn't have too long to wait before he came in.

"Good morning, Mr. Cook. How are we today?"

"Just dispense with the fucking pleasantries and get down to business.", I was thinking.

"Fine. How are you?", I said instead.

"Just fine today. I suppose you're curious about the results, aren't you?"

"That's a real big 'No Shit Sherlock' there, good buddy.", I was thinking.

"Yes.", I said.

"Now I don't want you get too excited while I explain all of this, alright?"

"I'm fucked!", I was thinking.

"<<>> Ok.", I said.

"Mr. Cook, you have a two conditions, one that is rather rare."

"It sounds bad."

"Well, it could be. First is what we are calling Borgford syndrome; we've learned that it comes from a viral infection."

"Borg what?"

"Borgford syndrome. We have no real name for the virus yet, so we just call it the shrinking virus. It's similar to Zika. You've heard of the Zika virus, haven't you?"

"Yeah, it comes from South America, right?"

"It's in the United States too and elsewhere. It's not to be taken lightly."

"Oh. I don't have Zika, do I?"

"No. What you have is more rare; we are just finding out about it. I needeed to consult with colleagues to help me figure this out. Now the effects from Zika include shrinkage of the brain and even the testicles."

"Ow.", I was thinking. He went on.

"With this new virus we are seeing the whole body shrink."

"Will I shrink more?"

"It is a possibility Mr. Cook. In fact, don't be upset but I can almost positively say you will shrink more. Most people with this virus shrink up to ten inches or more, but a few only a couple. It's hard to say at this time as we are only just now finding out about this unusual disease."

Shit!

"You've only lost four inches so that is good. You seem to be in otherwise great health. I can see you have seemingly large muscles, not only for a man your size but for one much bigger."

"Thanks, I work out doc."

"Good. Good. Continue to do so. It is important with this condition. Also, I will give you a sheet outlining dietary guidelines. It's important to eat healthy too."

"I try, but I don't have much of an appetite."

"Well, maybe we'll prescribe an appetite stimulant after the surgery."

"SURGERY!"

"Calm down. I haven't gotten to that part yet. We've detected a lesion on your pituitary gland. You can see it in the MRI here."

He had me step behind the desk as he brought up the MRI on his computer. He pressed some keys and a picture of my head showed up.

"That's the inside of my head?", I asked.

"Yes. This is the pituitary gland.", he said, as he pointed it out with his pencil.

"It's pretty small. Is that why I'm so small? Did the virus do that?"

"Well, not exactly. Your pituitary is normal size. It's this lesion in the anterior pituitary that is your problem."

"I can't see anything."

"See the little dark smudge there?", he pointed out.

"That's it?"

"Yes. I'm afraid that little smudge is messing with your body; it's probably scar tissue. It has prevented the pituitary from producing enough somatotropin. That's growth hormone the lack of which throughout your adolescence is the likely reason for your short stature."

"So, if I get growth hormone I could grow."

"No. I'm sorry Mr. Cook but you're too old for that to happen. Plus you are infected with the shrinking virus."

My heart sunk. He had more to say.

"Somatotropin deficiency in adults usually results in obesity. That's counterintuitive in your situation since you're losing stature, not gaining fat. Your strength and bone density seem to be normal. Better than normal, in fact."

"Surgery is going to make it work all right again?"

"Well, that remains to be seen. Normally, yes. But with the virus, if we don't go in and fix it the consequences may be grave."

This does not sound good at all. "What happens if I don't have the surgery?"

"Without treatment your quality of life will be greatly diminished. You'll likely become weak. However, combined with the shrinking virus, we believe the results to be, well, let's say not very good. Again, we aren't sure what to make of this, but my colleagues and I agree that surgery is warranted."

"Am I going to die?"

"Not if I have anything to say about it, young man. It is important to have this surgery first. I may be prescribing drugs as the situation warrants, after the surgery, depending on what they find and the outcome, ok?"

"Ok." But I wasn't sure exactly what that meant.

"Now treatments are just beginning to be appear for Borgford's syndrome. They are still in development. Trials are currently being set up. Would you be interested in that?"

"Maybe. I'll have to think about it I suppose. Will it help?"

"From what I understand -- remember this is new for me too -- results are mixed but some patients do improve. You may still lose some stature during this time. Everything is still experimental."

"That sounds good. I guess."

"There's one other thing. Have you had sex with anyone in the last six months?"

"Um, yes.", I said, rather sheepishly.

"This could be contagious. We think it comes from a mosquito bite, but it may be transmitted with sex. When did you first notice the shrinking?"

"I'm pretty sure it was about three months ago."

"Ok. Did you have any sex six months prior to that?"

"No."

"Are you sure?"

"I am absolutely sure that I have not had sex with anyone before three months ago."

"That's good. We believe that the infectious period is from the time of contract with the virus until about six months after, in which case, after that period, you should not be contagious. The shrinking does not seem to start for maybe a year to two years after that, maybe longer. So, anyone you had sex with one to two years prior to the shrinking may be at risk."

I was thinking I could have gotten this while still in school. I guess since my love life the last two years was practically non-existent I had nothing to worry about here.

"Have you noticed any flu like symptoms in the past year or two?"

"No, not that I can remember."

"Ok, there's really no way of knowing exactly when you picked up the virus. But first things first. I have a referral to Dr. Scott here. He's the best surgeon I know. You will need to coordinate with his office for the surgery. He may prescribe more medication in conjunction with the surgery. Do not put this off! After you set the date of the surgery call my office and schedule a followup for two weeks after. Did you get all that?"

"I think so."

"Don't worry, there won't be a quiz. I have instructions printed out. They are at the top of this packet I had printed for you. Read them. Some of these are forms you will need to fill out. Nothing particularly cumbersome. But I apologize for the paperwork."

"That's ok."

"Good. Now what can you expect out of this? I would say the prognosis is good from the little we know about the shrinking virus. If you are treated promptly, that is. I'm sorry to have to tell you that there may be some further loss of stature, even after the surgery due to the virus. And there's no telling how much damage has been done to the pituitary until we can see it. The surgeon will be able to assess this so don't worry about it right now."

"Alright."

"Any questions?"

"Will I lose my voice?", I asked, thinking of my singing.

"Oh, heavens no. At least not from this."

"From the surgery?"

"There are definitely risks associated with all surgery, Mr. Cook, but losing one's voice is not one of them. At least not this type of surgery."

"That's good."

"You will likely have more questions later. I'm sure this has been a bit much for you to take in all at once. We will know a little bit more about the prognosis after the surgery. When you have a question, write it down. Then we can go over all of your questions at your followup appointment. Is that ok?"

"Yes."

"Most of all, it is up to you to follow up with the surgeon. Do not hesitate."

"Sure, doc."

"Thank you, young man. And don't worry; new drugs and treatments are always being produced. They may have this diseased licked before you suffer any more. You have a good day, Mr. Cook."

"Thanks."

There you have it. I just thanked a man for telling me bad news. I was a bit numb from all of this. I don't know if I should have been happy, or not. Maybe I could die from it, at least if not treated. And I can still lose more height, even if I am treated. I wanted to throw up.


----- Thursday afternoon

I'd have to tell Julie, but I don't know if I can find my voice for it. I can't take this to Jill. Besides, I've already unloaded enough on her. I ended up calling Erin.

"Hey, how you doing?"

"Ok."

"You don't sound good. Is everything ok?"

"Sure.", I didn't sound convincing at all.

"Is there anything I can do?"

"Can we talk?"

"Sure. Oh, you mean face-to-face?"

"Yes."

"Ok, I have time. I can call in sick tonight if you want."

"Maybe that'd be a good idea. Can I come see you then?"

"Absolutely. When will you get here?"

"I'll be there in a few minutes.", my voice was cracking.

When I showed up Erin was standing in the door. I ran up to her and hugged her. Mom was in the kitchen.

"Can we go out somewhere, Erin?". She understood I didn't want Mom to hear this.

"Sure. Let me grab something. I'll be right back."

"Hi, sweetheart.", Mom yelled from the kitchen.

"Hi, Mom.", I yelled back putting every effort into making that sound as nonchalant as possible.

Erin came out. "Let's go.", she said. "So, where do you want to go?"

"I don't know. I'll just drive, let's see where it takes us, ok?"

"Alright."

We didn't say a word the whole time. There was a lump in my throat. We ended up at a park with a little playground. I parked, turned the car off and just slumped. Still, no words were said.

After a bit I got out and said to Erin, "Let's go sit on the bench."

We sat. "Erin, I have something called Borg-something disease."

"Borg disease?"

"Borg ... something. It's some dude's name."

"Oh. It's not good is it?"

"No. It's a virus. It makes me shrink. There's no cure. And I need surgery. But I should live, I think." Then I started crying. We hugged the whole time.

I don't know how long we were there but I finally broke off and wiped my eyes on my shirt.

"What are you going to do, Sam?"

"I'm going to have the surgery, that's what? Then I have to see about this shrinking disease. I don't know."

She didn't know what to say.

"I'm sorry Sam."

"Nothing to be sorry for. Thank you."

"I didn't do anything."

"You were here for me, Erin."

"I'll always be here for you, Sam."

I returned her home and walked with her to the door. We saw Mom and went in.

"How are you sugar?", she said. To whom, Erin or me, I wasn't sure.

"I'm fine.", I said.

"How's your little friend doing, sweetheart?"

"His little friend has a name, Mom. It's Julie.", Erin said.

"Yes, Erin. I forgot." I didn't correct Erin; Julie is my big friend.

"And how's your little job going, Sam?", Mom said. There she goes with the "little" again.

"Mom! He makes more money than Dad.", Erin interrupted again.

"Erin, Sam can answer his own questions."

"Mom, you're belittling him again."

"Oh sugar. He's fine with it. He's just a midget. He understands that. He'll never amount to anything."

"WHAT!", Erin had fire in her eyes.

"Honey, you always took up for him. When are you going to learn? You're beautiful. You're going to marry someone rich. You'll be ten times richer than Sam."

Erin had tears in her eyes, as if she hadn't cried them out just a while ago. She turned and ran to her room, slamming the door.

I just looked at Mom and shook my head.

"What?", she said, shrugging her shoulders. She was clueless.

I went to Erin's room and knocked. "Erin. It's Sam. Can I come in?"

The door was opened. I walked in and sat down on her bed.

"Erin. Why don't you get your stuff together. You can come with me."

She grabbed a bunch of stuff, clothes mostly, stuffed them in a pillowcase and we were outta there.

"We'll come back later for the rest, Erin. I have plenty of space. You can have any of the two bedrooms you want. You're living with me now.", I told her on our way home.

Neither of us cried after that. We didn't talk either. We were both furious with Mom. We also new Dad would back her up. And we also new that telling them the news wouldn't change a thing.

When Julie came home from work she found both Erin and I sitting at the kitchen table sipping hot tea.

"Hey Erin. How are you?", she said with a smile.

We both looked up.

"Uh oh. That bad?", Julie said.

"Go get comfy Julie. We have a lot to talk about."

"Oh."

"Yes. But first thing is we have a new resident here. Erin will be staying with us from now on."

"Oh kay."

"Wait. Don't get comfy. You know what? Go pick up Jill and bring her here. Tell Mom she's spending the night."

"Ok."

"No. Strike that! Get both Mom and Jill here. This is a family matter."

"Ok. Sam, you're scaring me. Tell me everything will be alright."

"Everything will be alright. I promise. I love you Julie. Now go get Mom and Jill."

When they got here they all seemed nervous. Understandable.

"Anyone want coffee or tea?"

"I'll have coffee, thank you.", said Mom.

"I'll go make her some, Sam. You stay seated. I'll get myself some tea.", Julie said. Jill had some fruit drink.

We talked of nothing in particular for a while. I introduced Erin to Mom. I kept a smile on. Then when everyone had a drink in their hands we all sat around the table.

"I wanted to tell everyone at once. You all know that I had the results of my MRI today, right?"

They all shook their heads. Except Mom. But I explained everything I knew. I had to tell Mom a little bit of what happened before. I told them that Erin and I had a falling out with my Mom and Dad and that's why they weren't here.

When it was done they were all stunned. Especially Mom. She hadn't known a lot of the back story but it didn't matter. We talked of Julie's problems too. They seemed not nearly as bad as mine, but it didn't matter. Mom didn't know the full story there either. We owed it to her to let her know about Julie and me.

They all knew my situation now. They knew of the surgery and that I might shrink even more.

"I'm glad you told me face-to-face, Sam. My girls think highly of you. Both of them talk of you like you're a rock star.", Mom said.

"Aw shucks."

Don't say it!

"Thank you, Mom.", I said. She liked it when I called her Mom. I wondered if she had some mom premonition power or something.

"If there's anything I can do ...", she started saying.

"No. There's nothing anyone can do right now. I'll let you know if there is. But you've done enough already by bringing Julie and Jill into this world."

I needed to lighten the mood.

"Anyone hungry?", I said.

Nobody was really hungry.

"How about I order pizza, delivered?"

They all were like, "Sure. Whatever."

So pizza was ordered. We ate. It was time for Mom and Jill to go.

Jill and I looked at each other. Then I looked at Julie. It's funny how we were beginning to communicate without words. It was understood that we would welcome Jill with us here tonight.

"Mom, can I spend the night?"

"It wouldn't be a problem. Erin's staying tonight and there's still another bedroom left for Jill.", I said.

"Yeah, Mom. We can take care of her. Tomorrow's Friday. I can take the day off and we can go somewhere together. I'll bring her home tomorrow, ok?", Julie piped in.

"Alright, I guess. Don't you need clothes, Jill?", asked Mom.

"I have some older clothes that don't fit me anymore Mom. They'd fit Jill. I've been meaning to give them to her anyway. They've hardly been used.", Julie said.

"Ok. I guess you guys really want this."

Julie left with Mom in the BMW. I think Mom got a kick at how far back the seat had to go and how far back it had to lean to accommodate Julie.

While Julie was away Jill gave me hug and started crying. We held each other for a long time. Erin had come over and was stroking Jill's hair. Nobody talked much.

"Sam. Did you tell your Mom and Dad?"

"No. I don't think I will."

"We'll have to tell them sometime.", said Erin.

"I'll let you do that, if you don't mind, Erin."

"Shouldn't we tell Sharon?", Jill asked.

"Sure. It's gonna get out anyway. I suppose we owe it to her to tell her before it gets out."

"Can she come over?"

"Jill, I'm sure she has work tomorrow. You can call her tonight though."

"I'd rather tell her face to face. Wouldn't you?"

"Can't it wait? I've told the most important people in my life first."

"Sharon shared a night with you and Julie. Isn't she important too?"

"Yes, Jill. She is. If you want to invite her over then, go ahead."

"Can we invite Fred over too?", Erin asked.

"Sure, why not?" I figured Erin and Fred were going to hook up sooner than later if they already hadn't. But I wondered what the night would bring if they were over.

Sharon and Fred arrived just ahead of Julie. When Julie walked in she was surprised.

"It was Jill's idea. Sorry.", I said.

"It's ok. This is good. Have you told them anything yet?"

"No, I was just about to."

"Tell what?", Sharon asked.

"Erin, why don't you take Fred outside, show him the deck. Maybe get some wine, ok?"

The two disappeared and I laid out the story to Sharon. She didn't take it any better than any of the other girls.

"Sharon, can you let them know tomorrow that I won't be in the office?", Julie asked her.

"Yeah, Julie. No problem. Sam, are you going to be ok tonight?"

"I'll be ok, Sharon." I just wished that I had actually believed it myself.

"Sam, can I stay over?", Sharon asked. I looked at Julie. She seemed ok, but I wasn't so sure. I was certainly not in a great mood and didn't know if I could handle it.

"I don't know Sharon. I haven't even called into my work yet. I might have to go in early in the morning. I won't be any fun tonight anyway."

Sharon came over and gave me another world class kiss. "Sam, we don't have to do anything. I just want to be here for you.", she said.

"Well, it seems like everyone else is staying tonight. You ok with it, Julie?"

"Certainly."

"So, what about Fred?", I said.

We walked out on the deck and found Erin and Fred sucking face bigtime.

"Sorry to interrupt. I think Sharon wants to tell you something Fred."

"Fred, I'm staying here tonight. That ok?"

"Sure, I guess so.", he said.

"In that case, can Fred stay the night too?", Erin asked.

Can't say I wasn't expecting that.

"Sure. Why not?"

"Wait. What are we going to tell Dad, Sharon?", Fred said.

"Tell them that we were drinking and didn't want to drive home."

"That's good. It'll work."

So the whole gang was here on a Thursday night. I wasn't sure of the sleeping arrangements yet. But I was feeling too sorry for myself to care too much.

I was feeling a little bad about Jill though. I didn't think she and Erin were going to be together this night.

I then told everyone, "Guys, it's been a long day for me. I hope you all don't mind. I'd like to go to bed."

Everyone was ok with that. As it turned out, Julie and I slept in our bedroom alone. Erin and Fred in Erin's new bedroom, and Jill and Sharon in the other.

Sweet dreams everyone.

Chapter End Notes:

Next chapter should be fun for everyone.