- Text Size +

All his stats showed absolutely normal for someone of his new height and weight. That was unexpected. The only things that showed to be functioning differently were his pituitary and thyroid glands. And some new gland located at the base of his neck. That wasn't there when he had his physical for the Academy. He stared at the small screen in shock. 

Carefully, he lowered his hand and, with one overlarge finger, tapped on the screen. He was trying his best to point to the new gland, but his finger obscured the screen in its entirety. Pidge looked up at him, seemingly unbothered by the massive hand so close to her. 

"What?" She paused and watched as he withdrew his hand, only to carefully nudge her elbow. Pidge let him maneuver her arm until her hand was posed over the area that was blinking to highlight the new gland. "That? I don't know. I'll run it through the ship's computers and see if they can identify it."

She tapped away on her pad as Shiro and Hunk traded concerned looks. A new growth inside Keith? Was it some sort of extraterrestrial parasite that had infected him? Could said possible parasite make him grow to his immense state? And if it was a parasite, was it contagious? Would it affect the rest of the team? 

Their silent questioning was broken when Pidge spoke up, a hint of awe in her voice. "It's... That growth, it's the Galra equivalent of a pituitary gland. It's what controls their growth. Basically, from what my tablet is saying, that Galra pituitary gland dramatically expanded and began spitting out growth hormones. But since you don't have all the same physical features a Galra does, your body used the hormones as it saw fit. It kick-started your human pituitary and thyroid glands and they started spitting out growth hormones, too. So your entire body just... grew."

"But what caused the Galra gland to grow?" Shiro asked. 

Pidge shrugged. "I don't know. The computers didn't tell me. I'll have to run more specific tests, including drawing blood, to try and figure out why the gland suddenly began to grow."

Keith gently nudged Pidge's shoulder with his knuckle. When he had her attention, he tapped his throat. Why was he still unable to speak?

Pidge frowned and looked back to the scan, scrolling through the copious amounts of data. Then, she looked up to him with worry in her eyes. "It says, when you grew, that your vocal chords didn't grow at the same rate. They stretched so thin that they can't produce sound right now. To enable you to speak, they have to either grow into the proper proportion or you will have to have some sort of surgical procedure done to repair them. And since you can't exactly fit in medbay right now..."

He couldn't have the surgery to repair his voice. He sighed, the only sound he was able to make currently, and let his head rest against the wall. His eyes remained fixated on the ceiling, even as Pidge's indistinct conversation with Shiro and Hunk droned in the back of his mind. He wasn't in the mood to pay attention.

Distantly, he heard the bay doors open and close as Shiro and Hunk left. Pidge stood and stretched before looking back to him. "Shiro said he's going to bring you supper later on. Hunk is going to cook everything we have in the kitchen to make sure you eat."

Keith frowned and shook his head. That wasn't necessary. Despite it having been hours since his last meal, he was not hungry in the slightest. 

Pidge rolled her eyes. "Don't be like that. You can't starve yourself. I'm sure Shiro is talking with Allura and Coran right now, telling them to pull over at the nearest planet so we can make a pit-stop and get more food." Much more food. "Don't starve yourself on our behalf. We still have Coran's space goo and some dehydrated rations we can use. You, however, need to eat actual, solid food to be able to heal."

Keith pursed his lips and arched a brow. While he knew she was right, it didn't make him hungry. And he didn't really feel like eating, anyway. So he shook his head. He wasn't going to eat.

Pidge scowled and propped her little fists on her hips. "If you don't eat, I won't eat! The arms of Voltron have to stay together, come what may."

Keith frowned just a little before rolling his eyes. Fine. He would eat.

Pidge smirked in triumph. "Good. While Hunk cooks, I'm going to work on Green." So saying, she turned and went into her lion's bay. She stayed in there through the evening. Hunk brought the food in after a while and Keith picked at it, eating only a little. His appetite still had not returned. He slouched down and rested his head on the mattress. He fell asleep and some point, semi-comfortable on the floor in the room-temperature air of the bay.

Red's rumbling in his mind woke him. There was no way to determine how late it was, except from how exhausted he still was. He stretched his stiff joints and sat up, taking stock of his surroundings. His suit felt constricting, but there was no way he was going to take it off. He wasn't sure if it would stretch again to accommodate his new size. Although Hunk's grew every time and Pidge's shrunk every time. He sighed and compromised, peeling out of the upper-half and tying it around his waist. To his immense relief, it stayed its current size.

Red rumbled in his mind again, insisting he get up and go to Green's bay. He looked to the bay door, discovering it was still rolled up and light shone from it. He shook his head, already knowing Pidge was probably sprawled out across some part of Green, tool in hand, fast asleep. He stood and stretched again before making his way to the bay. Sure enough, Pidge was half-in, half-out of an electrical compartment, a screwdriver in her hand. Even from his distance, he could hear her soft snores.

He would have chuckled if his vocal chords were functioning. Still, the sight was amusing. He crossed the room in just a few strides and crouched next to the girl. His fingers gently tapped the girl on her back, trying to rouse her. She stirred slightly before going back to sleep. Keith tried to wake her once more but the green paladin was determined to sleep.

He sighed and shook his head. Carefully, using both hands to support the limp girl like a newborn, he scooped her up. When he stood, he realized he didn't know what to do next. He couldn't carry her to her bed like so many times before. He pursed his lips before shrugging slightly. She would just have to deal with sleeping on his mattress, and sharing it with his head, until she was awake and coherent enough to walk to her bed herself. 

Keith turned and carried her back to his mattress in the corner of the open room. He knelt and gently slid her off onto the pillow-top bed. He had no blanket to cover her with so he only hoped she didn't get cold. He stood and went back to Green's bay, turning off the lights with his the nail of his little finger, and closing the big door once he was out of the way. He returned to his mattress, lowering himself to the floor and resting his head on the pillow-sized mattress. He sighed deeply as sleep crept up to claim him.

When he woke the next morning, there was a thin line of green and peach across his vision. He blinked to try and clear the strange apparition, only to have his lashes brush across whatever it was. At that moment, the red paladin realized just what it was that was across his face. His clues came from the soft, rhythmic breathing in his ear, the gentle weight across his nose and the warmth of a body pressed against his cheek.

Sometime during the night, Pidge, seeking warmth, had curled into his face, slinging one arm across the bridge of his nose, and promptly fallen back asleep. Keith wasn't sure if he should move her or let her be. The decision was taken away when Pidge stirred. 

At first, still mostly asleep, the girl snuggled a little closer to Keith's face. But as consciousness slowly returned to her, she realized she was not in her bed. Indeed, she wasn't even under covers. When her eyes opened to take in the scene before her, she yelped and quickly pulled away, as red in the face as Keith's lion.

"S-s-sorry!" she blurted. "I, I don't know! I fell asleep and... and..." 

Keith sat up and smirked down at her, one eyebrow arched. This wasn't the first time she had woken up with him. Although the previous times had been en-route to her room and not snuggled up to his face.

"Gotta go!" So saying, she stood and bolted for the door. 

Amused, he reclined against the wall and just watched her leave.