- Text Size +

THE SHORTEST OF THE FAMILY                                                      (Author: Mient)

This is the story of a family in which I am the older sister (although it is only because I was born 4 years before my sister Madeleine). We live in a quiet area of r03;r03;US. My name is Ada and I am 22 years old. The longer length of my “little” sister's name would not have meant that we were so different. I would have liked to have a longer name, but this is just a minor detail.

The year I turned 4 was born my “little” sister. My parents and family were very surprised when the doctors told them that she had measured 52 cm (7 cm more than me) and she had weighed 4 kg (1.5 kg more than my birth weight). Life had changed us all with the arrival of Madeleine. During that time, I went to school while my younger sister was just a baby. Over the years I was growing up just like my sister. When I was 11 I already excelled in sports such as basketball and volleyball and was also the tallest girl in my class with 5'4 ''. My parents were very happy, but especially my mother because she also played a lot of basketball time. I have to say that my mother is very tall, she measures 5'11 "and my father is 6 ft. It is true that being taller at that time helped me in these sports.

One day that year when I left class and went to my house I met my parents in the courtyard with my sister Madeleine. They were measuring my younger sister height. I also, like any child, had been measured and recorded their height. My little sister Madeleine had begun to go to school that year. We were both going to the same school but she was leaving before me. I went up to my room and left things and went down to eat. After resting for a while I wanted to play so I went to the courtyard and there I could see the marks that my parents had made the height of Madeleine. She was only 7 years old but there is something I saw and is that her mark at age 7 was about 2 inches above mine. I was a girl by then too, so I didn’t think about that.

2 years later I was already 13 years old. I have taken the decision to leave my school's basketball team 2 years ago because in a way the sport no longer attracted me. My mother did not like the decision that I left the basketball but finally understood because I wanted to improve in the studies. That year in my class there were changes since almost all the girls had grown and we had more height than the boys. Many girls of my class were still on the basketball team. One fact that I realized was that I was no longer the tallest girl in the class, in fact now I was the second smallest girl in my class. My parents also knew this and they found that in the last 2 years I had only grown an inch. Now I measured 5'5 ". In my class there were girls who were already 5'8 ", 3 inches more than me. At that time I was also seeing how my sister Madeleine was growing a lot and at only 9 years old she was already 5'2 ", when at her age I was 5 ft.

My mother one day told me that it could be that if I had stayed on the basketball team as many of my friends could now be much higher. She saw that as a child I was growing very fast but she now did not understand why my height had suddenly stalled. Even she now thought that Madeleine might be taller than me in the next few years if I did not hit a spud.

After a few months my mother became increasingly concerned about the matter so she decided to take me to the doctor. There the doctor questioned us about aspects such as family genetics, he also checked my physical development. The doctor came to the conclusion that I could grow even more because my parents were tall people. He finally said that we would see each other again in a year to see results. My mother was relieved to hear the doctor's words and we returned home. I was about to turn 14, this meant that my sister was almost 10. The months passed and I saw that my body was undergoing changes typical of my age. From that moment on, I became interested in clothes. My mother was still worried that I was not growing up and when we saw the doctor again he tested me again and said that I had already developed my body. This meant that I probably would not grow anymore. My mother could not admit that her eldest daughter would stop growing at age 14. We came home with the harsh reality.

The following years were very hard for me because in my class now not only the girls were much taller than me, some were already even as tall as my mother, but also in my house my sister with only 12 years and was already 5 '7' ', so that made her 2 inches taller than me. I could not believe how quickly Madeleine was growing every year. Its growth was more than 1 inch per year.

I was beginning to worry about being the smallest of the family. I was going to be 16 years old and one day I confessed to my mother that I would like to be taller. No way, I did not wait for what she told me. "Ada if you had continued to play basketball like I did during my adolescence you would be taller than Madeleine now." I could not believe what my mother had told me. Madeleine had never played on a basketball team. In fact she was not as good as I was in sports. From that moment I had to admit that definitely my little sister had inherited the genes from my parents, but especially from my mother, who was very tall. I had to start getting used to my physique and take a 6-inch height difference with my mother. When I thought about it I started to feel very small next to my mother. The only way for me to look taller was to wear high heels. This way I could still be taller than my sister. But this lasted a short time since a year later my sister grew 2 inches taller and she was already much taller than me even if I wore high heels. I was officially the smallest of the family.

I had to assume this as soon as possible. My 13-year-old sister also became interested in clothes but not so much in high heels, since she was also aware that she could be too tall for her age. One day I was at home I asked my parents to buy some nice sandals I had seen for the summer. These had a little heel that is how I liked it. I needed for the sandals a size of 7 and a half. I have to admit that my feet were not as big as those of my sister and especially my mother. The purchase my mother had made would come to my house a couple of days later. When the sandals arrived I took the package and went to my room. I had an immense desire to try them out and go out with them. However, once I had put them on I clearly saw that they were quite large for me. I could not understand why the sandals did not fit my foot size so I went to look for my mother who was talking in the living room with my sister at that time. They saw me with their sandals on and the feeling I would have again is to feel very small next to them.

My sister Madeleine said. Ada, how about the sandals you bought? She looked at my sandals and very surprised said, how is it possible that you bought them so big? My mother was the one who bought my sandals online but she was sure that she had chosen my size of 7 and a half. The situation was embarrassing me. I could see that my mother was not uncomfortable about this possible mistake. In fact, my mother said, "Ada, maybe if they did not have your number they would have had to bring a larger number." At that moment I took off my sandals and checked what number they were. The shoe size of the sandals was actually 9. At that time, I could not help looking at my sister's and mother's feet. They knew like me that these sandals would never fit me because my feet compared to theirs were a lot smaller. I did not know that my mother's feet were so big. I was very surprised when she told me that her shoe size was 10. In that case only my sister's feet were left. She had grown a lot in height and her feet were also big but not yet as big as my mother's. She was wearing the shoe size 9, just the sandals I wanted for me.

Then, I told my little sister to try on these pretty sandals. Do not forget that the sandals also had a little heel about 2 inches. By the time she put them on, my sister was going to measure 5'11. "The sandals fit her very well, even better than me. These stylized her nice body and this made me feel like a dwarf. My mother was wearing flat sandals and at that moment she told Madeleine to stand by her side to compare their heights. I saw with my own eyes that they were a head taller than me. It was the first time Madeleine wore a heel. My mother still did not let my sister wear very high heels but in this case they were sandals for the summer.

So I told my little sister to try on these pretty sandals. Do not forget that the sandals also had a little heel about 2 inches. By the time she put them on, my sister was going to measure 5'11. "The sandals fit her very well, even better than me. These stylized her nice body and this made me feel like a dwarf. My mother was wearing flat sandals and at that moment she told Madeleine to stand by her side to compare their heights. I saw with my own eyes that they were a head taller than me. It was the first time Madeleine wore a heel. My mother still did not let my sister wear very high heels but in this case they were sandals for the summer. Then, my mother said to me: Ada, do you mind if your little sister wears these pretty sandals? I had no choice and I agreed to give them to my sister.

The years passed and when my little big sister turned 15 she was already measuring my mother's height completely flat, while I could not pass the 5'5 ''. Madeleine finished growing at 17 and finally reached a height of 6 ft. I have to get used to looking at my little sister up.

 

End