- Text Size +

The pounding in my head was what woke me up. Then the sensation of nausea, followed by vomiting. Not the most pleasant of awakenings...but I was alive. I don't remember much about the plane crash. It all happened so fast and I blacked out before I could make any sense of the situation. I remember the screams...

The sun was beating down with its oppressive rays. It was technically winter, but I guess the island didn't get the memo. I pulled my sweatshirt off and cast it onto the sand of the beach, far from the reach of the waves. I wasn't going to need it for a while.

"Hello?!" I shouted at the top of my lungs. "Is anyone out there?"

No response. Just the sound of the pounding surf.

I was alone.

I probably walked up the beach for two miles without seeing a change in scenery. It was all the same. Palm trees, palm trees, and more palm trees. Then rocks. No signs of civilization. Not even debris or pieces of the plane. No other people. Well, at least no other Magnians. If there were any Parvians out there, they weren't making themselves known.

I was disoriented and my head was spinning, so I wasn't going to push myself more than I needed. Walking through the sand was slow and exhausting, but I kept going until I found a small cave along the shore. It wasn't really a cave as much as it was an indentation in the rock, but it offered enough shade from the sun and it was cool to the touch. I fell asleep, or maybe I passed out, but it was the middle of the night when I woke up again.

Unable to sleep, I continued exploring the island. I was starving, but I tried not to think about it. I'm not exactly rail thin, so I think I would have been fine with a little fasting. Hopefully I could find some sustenance soon though. At least clean water! That was the most important need: water. I knew I wouldn't last another day in the sun without it. I had a water bottle on the plane, but it disappeared along with my backpack. I wished that I had grabbed it in time.

I had to make the decision: do I keep on going down the shoreline until I've made a complete perimeter of the island, or do I head into the jungle to look for food and water? Though the night was helping with the heat, I was still getting parched, so the jungle was on my mind. But what if there were other survivors on the beach? Or wreckage from the plane? I could maybe salvage something. There might even be water bottles. Or food! Even the thought of crappy airline pretzels made my mouth water.

I didn't want to explore the jungle at night. I'm not ashamed to confess it: I was scared. I didn't know what I would find. What kind of wild animals lived on an island like this? What other dangers would I not be able to see in the dark? I'm not a survivalist. I binge-watched three seasons of Les Stroud's Survivorman show, but I never thought I would actually need to remember what he was doing while I watched from my iPad on my living room couch. I used to love watching shows like that because of all the exotic destinations. All of that seemed infinitely more exciting than small town Nebraska.

By the time the sun came up, I was still walking, but just barely. I was so weary. I wanted to cry, but I didn't want to the water to go to waste in my tears. There wasn't anything! Just sand! Beyond the hunger and dehydration, I felt the most overwhelmed by the loneliness and despair. Couldn't there have been other survivors? What made me so special that I would live and be the only one to make it to this place? I wasn't going to live like this. I didn't want to. I didn't want to survive. I didn't want to exert the effort it would take to make it to tomorrow.

I gently kneeled onto the sands of the beach. I stretched out my body onto the warm, welcoming grains. They seemed to comfort me, consoling me by telling me that I was making the right decision, fixing themselves to my skin and lingering in my hair. This was not an act of courage. I was actually very fearful. But come what may, I was allowing myself to die.

 

~+~+~+~

 

The evening came, but death did not. I knew that it would be a while before it took me, but at least I could spend my final moments staring up into the night sky. The stars were brilliant in their cosmic array. My brother would take me out in his pickup truck to the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night just to go stargazing. Even then, they never looked anything like this. It made me miss him. He didn't want me to leave. I should have listened to him.

I was fading in and out of consciousness and my mind was in such a state that I didn't know if I could trust what I was hearing. But I heard voices. Soft voices. Whispers. Was it the wind or was it delirium? There was more than one whisperer. They were arguing. The wind doesn't argue with itself. But was it my imagination?

The voices were getting a little louder--not in volume, but by proximity. They were getting closer. I continued to lay there, motionless, pretending to be asleep. Even if I wanted to, I didn't have the energy to move. I couldn't even turn my head. Instead, I closed my eyes and focused all the power that was left in me to listening. I could just barely make out what they were saying:

"Stop right there, honey. Don't go any further!" It was a man's voice.

"I remember her!" said a woman. "She was on the plane!"

"I know that, but still. She could be dangerous!"

The woman scoffed. "Bill, are you serious? She's just a girl. And she's another survivor! We have to help one another if we want to get off this stupid rock."

"Help her how?" he cried. "She's a Magnian! It's not like we have a lot that we can offer her."

"We will offer her whatever we can."

"Our food? Our water? Mary, look at the size of her. How much do you think she needs? We only have so much."

"And from that which we have, we will give." Her voice was stern and decided.

The man sighed. "She's a Magnian. How can we trust her? Do you know what she could do to us?"

"For God's sakes, Bill, it's 2017! You sound like your father. This isn't the 1950s anymore."

"And we're not in civilization anymore. We're in the wild. She may be nice and friendly now, but what about later? There are no rules on this island. I will not allow such a threat near our family. Not after everything we've been through."

"Unbelievable! You are simply unbelievable. You think she's a beast? Take a look at her yourself! If you think civilization's gone, you're the one that's left it if you aren't willing to help your fellow human. And not just fellow Parvians. Do what you want. But I refuse to abandon my humanity on this island."

The woman was right next to my head now. "Sweetie, can you hear me? I'm a friend. My name's Mary. I'm here to help. Goodness gracious, you look like you're clinging to life! I'm climbing on top of you. Just letting you know." She grabbed a lock of my hair and hoisted herself up to my forehead.

I could feel Mary's feet walking down my face until she was standing by my nose. She moved gently, but purposefully. I breathed carefully, but was amazed that I could still smell the faint perfume on her, considering how long we had been stranded. My eyes were still closed, but I wouldn't have been able to see her anyway. She had set something down on my cheek and was rummaging through it.

"Here you go, girl. Drink up. There's plenty more where this came from and you're going to need it."

Mary pulled my upper lip back, but I opened my mouth very willingly. A second later, liquid was pouring down on my dry, thirsty tongue. Water would have been a godsend, but this was even better. It was sweet and cool and lifegiving. Just enough was poured to moisten my tongue, but not quite enough to swallow. When I thought it was all gone, I was thankful, but still wanting. Then more came. And more. In the end, I only had a few gulps, but it was enough to make tears well in my eyes from joy.

"Hope you're not allergic to coconut," she said. "I just had those few jugs, but there's plenty more on this island."

I was still weak, but I did my best to utter out my gratitude. "T-t-thank...you."

"It was the least I could do. I have a daughter a few years younger than you. She's my husband's daughter, too, but ignore Bill--he's an idiot."

"Hey!" I heard Bill object, still from a distance.

"You still think she's a threat? Look at her. She's beautiful. We'll have to keep Tommy away from her. Drag him away, if need be!"

"I'm not concerned about her, Mary. I'm concerned about us. You just drained five jugs of coconut water down her throat! That could have lasted us a week! And I bet she's still thirsty. Then beyond that..."

As if on cue to finish Bill's sentence, a loud rumble resounded. It was coming from my belly. Apparently, the coconut water hitting my stomach reawakened my hunger pangs.

"...beyond that," he continued, matter-of-factly, "she's going to need food. Lots of it. More than we have to share. I could park a Cadillac in that Magnian belly of hers."

"We'll put her to work, then! With that Magnian belly comes Magnian strength. She's going to need something in it, though, before she withers away. Get Tommy and Erica and tell them to roll one of the coconuts over here. It's going to take the whole family to feed this girl dinner."

I wished that I could express more to Mary how grateful I was to her. She had saved my life. She had brought me back from death. All I could do was to start weeping. Tears welled in my eyes before streaming down my cheeks. Mary walked over and despite getting her whole arm drenched, she wiped them all away.

"There, there, sweetie. It's okay. We're going to get through this together," she said with words of comfort that only someone's mother can give. "Say, what's your name?"

"Desi."

 

~+~+~+~

 

There aren't many Parvians in central Nebraska and I don't really blame them. I don't blame Magnians for not living there, either. It has its charm and I understand why my great-grandfather moved our family there. We're farmers and Nebraska is good farmland. The people are down to earth and will bend over backwards to help a friend. There is beauty in the prairie.

But I wanted more. I had lived in the same house my whole life and went to school with the same people from kindergarten all the way through community college. That small town was like my family—and probably half of them actually were blood relatives. When I discovered the opportunity to work overseas, I was intimidated by the thought, but my grandmother kept encouraging me. She had lived her whole life and was going to die in that same small town. She had no regrets, but she didn't want the same fate for me.

The first time I saw a Parvian was in high school. I went on a field trip to Lincoln. The state capitol building was impressive, but I was fascinated by all the miniature walkways and tunnels that had been built into the existing architecture. Busily walking along them were Parvian aides, state senatorial staff, and other government officials. They were at work alongside all the Magnians, interacting and cooperating to make Nebraska a better state. Size meant nothing to them. Just decades after integration and it was if we hadn't been at war for our entire existence. It was one thing for me to read about it in a book; it was another to see it firsthand.

Watching Bill and Mary and their family interact reminded me of my own family back home. Bill looked to be in his late 40s with a balding head that he probably wouldn't admit to having. Mary was a little younger than him, but she was one of those women who was aging gracefully. Their children, Tommy and Erica, were the spitting images of their parents. Tommy was about 17 and Erica was 14. They squabbled and bickered like siblings do. (I told them that they should imagine being one of six kids, like I was.)

Mary and Erica had no problem coming near me and talking to me, but the two guys kept their distance. I don't know if they were naturally standoffish, if they were intimidated by me, or if they just didn't like or trust me. I tried not to be put off by it and remained cordial to them. After all, they were sacrificing a lot for me. I knew Bill still had his reservations about me, but I was trying not to be a burden.

"Desi, could you crack open another one?" Mary asked from within a coconut half. She was busy scraping away coconut meat with a sharp rock. She was working at amazing rate and I surprised that she was already finished.

The coconuts were extremely durable as they were the brown and mature kind, like what you might find at the grocery store. Mary explained to me that this was good, because they have more meat inside than a young, green coconut. She also showed me the secret of opening them: poke the "eyes" and drink the water first. Then bash it with a rock. That was something I could do that they had been unable to before! They had simply been crawling completely inside and eating the coconuts from within. In fact, that's what they had been using for shelter on their first couple of days on the island. I'll admit that I was a little jealous of their coconut homes...

Our lunch was the first real food I had eaten in days. I didn't even eat before getting on the plane. My first flight had been delayed, leaving me only minutes at my layover to get to the next plane. I almost didn't make it. (I remember being so relieved at the time, but looking back, I really wish those doors had shut in my face.) I've never been a big fan of coconut, but I ate an entire one in under a minute. I was ravenous. I threw all table manners out the window. I hope I wasn't too terrifying of a sight to everyone else as I consumed that coconut with reckless abandon, its juice dribbling down my chin. At the time, I didn't even think about appearances. I only stopped to reach for the second half, but found that their entire family was sharing it as their meal. I felt gluttonous in comparison. It was a good snack, but I knew that I would be hungry again soon.

My thirst, however, was still a major concern. I wasn't alone in my thinking.

"We're going to need a source of fresh water if we're going to survive past tomorrow," Bill said as he finished his last bite. "These coconuts aren't going to be enough to stave off dehydration, especially for our new Magnian friend. This island is big enough that there'll be a spring or stream somewhere. But it isn't going to be right here. We're going to have to go looking for it."

"I agree with Bill. The coconut water was refreshing, but I still only have had a few gulps' worth. Water needs to be our top priority."

Bill continued. "Tommy and I are going to head out within the hour. You girls need to stay here."

"Like hell we will!" Mary contested.

"The two of us can move faster on our own. In the meantime, our next priority is building a fire. Gather sticks, leaves, and whatever you can find that will burn."

"Erica and I can do that. But you're taking Desi with you."

"Mary, I don't know..."

"Think about it! She's got the vantage point. If you sit on her shoulders, you'll be able to see for miles more than on the ground."

"She has a point," I said. "And I can move pretty fast, too."

Bill was resistant, but he couldn't argue with the reasoning.

"We don't need her help!" The quiet Tommy spoke up with a loud voice of contention. "Dad and I are going alone!"

"Tommy, your mother's right. Desi's coming with us. Or, more appropriately, we're going with her..."

 

~+~+~+~

 

The three of us left the camp as soon as we were ready. All we took with us were some of the water bottles that they had in their luggage. It wouldn't be much, but it would give Mary and Erica some relief when we returned.

Bill and Tommy sat on my right shoulder, their hands taking a hold of one of my tank top straps. Bill had fastened a makeshift cable made of vines between him and his son. That way, if one of them should fall, they wouldn't immediately plummet to their deaths. A fall forward would have landed them safely in my cleavage, but I appreciated the precaution. I believed in modesty, but it was hard to be comfortable while covering up.

There wasn't much conversation as we hiked into the jungle. Instead, we kept our ears attuned for the sound of running water. So far, all we heard was the chattering of birds, the buzzing of insects, and the distant sound of the surf pounding the shore.

As the afternoon lingered on, the sun grew hotter. The shade of the canopy helped, but the humidity was nearly unbearable. I felt so sweaty and gross. I didn't want to think about the two small passengers on my shoulder having to come in contact with my skin and perspiration. I couldn't have smelled nice, either. I really hated being under such scrutiny. It wasn't intentional on their part, but me being so large, I know they couldn't help it. I was a monster.

"How much further should we go?" I asked, wanting to change up the thoughts in my head.

"I know it's getting late," Bill said, "but if we don't find water, we'll struggle to make the journey back, much less go on another expedition tomorrow."

"I'm already feeling dizzy and faint. I think I need to take a break."

"You got it."

I sat down and leaned against a tree, then let the guys down. Since they had been riding, not walking, they had the energy to continue on. The plan was for them to scout out the area, then report back at my location in twenty minutes. Meanwhile, I was going to use that time to close my eyes and rest and dream of Starbucks iced coffee. I would have sacrificed everything for a single ice cube in that moment. I didn't want to worry Bill and Tommy, but I was getting delirious with heat stroke.

Wearing yoga pants in the jungle certainly didn't help. Again, I'm a modest woman and wasn't keen on the idea of prancing around in my panties, which was the only alternative. Not around the boys, especially. But mercy, was it miserable. They clung to my legs like moss on a rock. I had to do something about it immediately. Finding the sharpest stick near me, I pierced a hole in the fabric above my kneecap and began tearing. It wasn't a perfect rip and my jury-rigged shorts were far from fashionable, but they did offer me relief. (They also exposed my unshaven legs, but I couldn't care less at that point.)

As I was finished my wardrobe modifications, I heard a voice calling from the east. It was Tommy.

"Desi, come here! Come this way right now!"

The blood rushed from my head as I quickly got up and staggered in the direction of his voice. "I'm coming! Watch where I step!"

Within a few dozen yards, I could already hear it: water! That magnificent sound grew louder with every step. Soon, I was running towards it with all deliberate speed. It wasn't long before I could see it with my own eyes.

"A waterfall!" I exclaimed. I had never seen one before! A small stream rushed over the edge of a cliff, plummeting fifteen feet to the pool of water waiting below. It wasn't Niagara Falls by any means, but it was magical in my sight. But more than that, it was water...

I cast aside my socks and shoes and waded into the cool, refreshing pool until it was up to my knees. I wanted to dive right in and swim in it, but my body instinctively knew that more than that, I needed to drink. Do I cup it with my hands, or stoop over and lap it like a dog? I was so thirsty, I think I managed a hybrid of both, kneeling over and inhaling while drawing more to my mouth with my hands. I could immediately feel the relief and euphoria. I kept drinking and drinking until my stomach felt like it was going to burst.

When I finally stopped, I laughed and whooped between heavy breaths. I looked around for Bill and Tommy to join them in the celebration.

"Hey guys, come in! The water is fantastic! Wait until we tell Mary and Erica..."

Bill and Tommy were silent. I saw them on the shore, their mouths agape in terror. Tommy's fingers were gripping his hair.

"Goddamn it, Desi! We've been shouting at you this whole time! Why didn't you stop?!"

I hadn't heard them. Maybe their words had reached my ears, but they hadn't registered with me. My excitement was immediately replaced with dread. I knew by Bill's voice that something grave had happened. I had no words. I just looked on in stunned confusion.

It was then that I noticed that joining the father and son on the shore were more people. More Parvians! There were more survivors! They were drenched. Some clung to rocks, while others lay face up on the sand, desperately catching their breaths. A woman cried loudly.

"Desi!" Bill repeated, his voice trembling. "Why didn't you stop?!"

Chapter End Notes:

[Confession: this was originally the follow up to the first chapter of The Parvian Perspective.  That chapter was going to end with the plane crash.]