- Text Size +

“Good news,” said Cosmic Boy, “Brainy’s worked out how to close the rifts with an explosive formula of his own. We’re getting it announced on television now by the others who went back to Legion club house, so that nobody else will see any point to going after Elroy or his family again.”

“That still doesn’t put my mind at rest,” said Jane, “I wish Elroy had never invented that formula?”

“I don’t have the extent of Saturn Queen’s mind control ability,” said Saturn Girl, “But I could enter Elroy’s mind enough to make him forget not just the formula, but the train of thought that led him to invent it. He’ll turn his mind to other projects and goals from now on. We can announce that on television too. It’s perfectly safe. I use the same trick on Superboy, every time he’s about to return to his own time after a visit to us as an honorary Legionnaire.”

“Then please do that for us,” said George, “Spacely hit the roof when he saw all the lightning blasts damage in my office.”

“So did Bouncing Boy at the time it was happening,” said Mon-El, “He also hit the walls, the floor, the desk, and several other items of furniture in George’s office.

 

Astro didn’t seem very friendly towards the Legionnaires. Saturn Girl communicated telepathically with Astro to learn why. When asked why, he said that the Space Mutts all applied to join the Legion of Super-Pets and were rejected because they had no super powers. They claimed that most of them could speak English, rather than just barking. What other dogs could do that? But it still didn’t count as a super power. So they formed the Legion of Destitute Pets until Space Ace offered them work as his team. The Legion of Super-Pets had claimed that they’d gotten the idea of heavily screening membership applicants from the LSH, and Astro felt rejected on principle. Rosie said that Space Ace (whom she’d spoken to most days) must really appreciate the Space Mutts’ contributions to his missions, if he was prepared to put up with all their bad jokes.

“You should hear Timber Wolf’s,” said Element Lad.

Astro felt that this news boosted his self esteem, and he lost his animosity towards the Legion. Then they heard a strange screaming coming from outside the apartment, and went out to see Star Boy running on the treadmill, calling out, “Jetsons, get me off this crazy thing!”

“Should we remind him that he could always use his flight ring?” asked Brainiac.

“In a few minutes,” said Dream Girl.

Suddenly Rond Vidar burst into the room.

“Found you at last!” he panted, “I’ve been looking for you guys all day. One of your Legion reject applicants has come to believe that the Fatal Five are descendants of the 20th Century’s Inferior Five. He’s gone back to wipe out the villains’ ancestory, and hence the villains themselves, by killing the Inferior Five. Looks like you guys will have to get your time bubbles ready to go.”

“How could Validus be descended from any intelligent being? He’d more likely be the descendant of someone with mental lightning powers or some approximation. Maybe the Doom Patrol’s Mento got his helmet stuck on his head, like Validus’s is over his brain now,” said Star Boy.

“Would you believe one of them calls herself Dumb Bunny?” said Rond, “Hey, I never said that this ex Legion try-out nut was right, merely thinks he is. He still has to be stopped.”

“Oh no!” groaned Ultra Boy, “Here we go again.”

 

Chapter End Notes:

The Brane Taylor 30th Century Batman appeared in occasional Golden Age issues of Batman and Detective Comics.