- Text Size +

At the futuristic shopping mall, Jane Jetson took a dress into a changing room to try it on, and then walked out into the main shop room wearing it, to get the feel of it. Suddenly the material turned to wood, making it impossible for Jane to take another step. Cosmic King had struck. Ultra Boy and Star Boy whipped off their outer civilian clothes and went into action.

Star Boy turned his heavy gravity powers on Cosmic King, making him just as immobile as Jane Jetson, while Ultra Boy considered a way to free Jane.

“If I use my flash vision, I could set the wood on fire and injure Jane,” he said.

“And worse than that, you and all the other shoppers would see me in my underwear,” said Jane.

“On the other hand, my flash vision could give Cosmic King an ongoing highly painful hotfoot unless he turns that wooden dress back into its orignal fabric,” said Ultra Boy.

Cosmic King agreed.

“Thank goodness,” said Jo-Nah, “For a minute I was beginning to think that Cosmic Boy left Element Lad guarding the wrong Jetson family member.”

They turned Cosmic King over to the Science Police, and then released him from Star Boy’s weight inducing power.

 

Upon learning of what had happened, as his teams reported in the results of their missions, Cosmic Boy asked a number of them, including Saturn Girl, to meet him at Science Police headquarters, and also asked the Chief to delay transporting them to prison, until Saturn Girl had a chance to read their minds.

“We’ve stopped them already. What do you want her to learn from them?” asked Mon-El.

“They’re all affiliated with the Legion of Super-Villains,” said Cosmic Boy, “Which means that their attacks on the Jetsons were probably all coordinated for one united purpose. I want to know what the LSV intended on doing in another dimension, if they’d gotten the formula.”

 

Saturn Girl probed the minds of all of the captured villains and then gave the Legionnaires their answer.

“They weren’t after the formula for themselves,” she said, “They were hired to get it for one of the largest competitors of both Rene Brand and Spacely Sprockets, namely Managing Director Cogswell of Cogswell Cogs. He wanted to use Elroy’s rifts to raid the technology of other dimensions and then claim to have invented it as Cogswell Cogs products.”

 

Cogswell was soon after arrested by Officer Cusimano. However, an initial reading judge threw the case out of court, as telepathy is considered a poisonous fruit of legal evidence.  What Saturn Girl learned from reading the minds of the Legion Of Super-Villains, even what she might learn by reading the mind of Cogswell himself … well none of that could be used as legal evidence in court, only as useful information to the Legionnaires who were working the case. The LSV were still incarcerated, until their next escape.

 

“Ronn Karr’s one of their least powerful members,” said Mon-El, “Couldn’t we coax him to turn state’s evidence, if we told him we knew Cogswell was in on it?”

“He’d FLAT out deny it,” said Timber Wolf.

“Spare us, please,” groaned Cosmic Boy.

 

Cosmic Boy’s next task was to assign a team to go through the rift in Elroy’s bedroom, in order to find out where he had gone to in that dimension on the other side, and bring him back to his parents and sister. He sent Invisible Kid, Timber Wolf, Ultra Boy and Element Lad. They all flew through the rift, while Mon-El, Lightning Lad, Princess Projectra and Cosmic Boy remained at the Jetsons’ apartment to guard the rest of that family through the evening and night.

The others returned to Legion club house, where Brainiac Five and Saturn Girl worked on ways to solve the problem of Elroy’s rifts formula once and for all.

 

When they arrived on the other side of the rift, the four Legionnaires found themselves flying over an almost identical 30th Century cityscape. It wasn’t long before they came upon a scene. Ten men in orange and yellow butterfly costumes with motorized wings were standing off a man whose costume looked just like Batman’s (except for the addition of a rocket pack). One of the costumed men held Elroy Jetson, with a gun to his head.