- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Hi everyone. Glad to be posting again. :)

 

I just wanted to say thanks for all the reviews on the last chapter. I'm glad to have read them. Hopefully you all like this chapter as much as the last.

Not much I can say on when I'll next post, but i'll try to make it shorter then this time. I promise.

Please enjoy.

 

 

Change back…

 

Couldn't… change back…

 

 

Standing stiffly as all noise seemingly vanished from the room she was in; Abby's lower jaw began to tremble as her eyes beaded. She couldn't change back… She couldn't return to her former height…? This… this was a mistake. This I-It wasn't right! It couldn't be… Kari had said… said, that she would return her to normal…

 

Had she, lied…?

 

Shifting her uncomprehending gaze up to the bawling child as she sobbed loudly, no noise permitted the brunettes senses as she continued to look on in the void she had seemingly fallen into. The little witch hadn't lied to her… no, she… she couldn't have. It had to be a mistake.

Trying to form words as her parted lips failed to produce any, all that escaped the teenager's mouth we soft, but quiet murmurs as her voice abandoned her. It felt like everything had abandoned her. And she was left watching as she tried to piece together the pieces all by herself.

 

This… it was… a mistake…

 

But, if it was one… then why was Kari crying so hard. Watching as the toddler fell down to her knees as she buried her face into her crossed arms, Abby felt her heart… seemingly indifferent to her now. She should have felt, worried. Or even heartbroken to see her like this… but, her tears weren't for herself.

Moving one of her shuddering hands up to her heart, a faint pair of tears entered the shrunken girl's eyes, as she began to slowly come to terms with what the little Hominal had said. She… she didn't want to believe it. No, she was choosing not to…

But, she could feel it. Kari was telling her the truth. She couldn't change her back. Hearing noises slowly returning to her as her senses began to pick them up once again, Abby sniffled before tears began to stream down from her eyes as well, as she felt the weight of it all suddenly come crashing down around her.

She was stuck like this… stuck, only a few inches tall, for the rest of her life. Kari had lied to her. Clutching at her heart as she felt a painful stabbing sensation, the brunette sobbed herself as she looked back at the larger girl.

This whole time… she knew… and she told her now… now that she had healed Najia. Was she just… a pawn? Were they really not friends? She had been used. Digging her nails through her dress as her fingers dug into her chest, the older girl grit her teeth as she tried to ignore the horrible pain she felt.

This… it hurt… like the first time, she and Casey had gone back to Darrowford, and she saw her village, looting her Master's shop. It was the betrayal. Why did it hurt so much! Falling to her knee's unconsciously as she mimicked the witch's posture, tears fell down and splashed into the wooden bed frame as the smaller girl finally took it all in.

She would never be normal again. And… it was all, her, fault! Lifting her head up slowly as her angry eyes turned to the whimpering toddler, Abby slowly began to rise as she stood on her shaking feet. She lied to her… she had used her… SHE JUST NEEDED HER AND DIDN'T CARE ABOUT THE CONSEQUENCES OF HER ACTIONS!

She… she was, a Monster… Clenching her fingers as she formed a fist, the brunette bit her lip as she continued to cry. Had, had it all been a lie? All the time they worked together… all the time they opened up and talked with one another… When they laughed… when they cried… When… when the younger girl had stood up to Ebon and tried to protect her. Was it all, just because she wanted what she could do for her, and nothing else?

Taking a quivering step forward, as she began to walk towards the child's buried head, Abby's face darkened as she trembled in rage. Why… why did she lie to her? WHY DID SHE LIE ABOUT ANY OF IT! WHY DID SHE CALL HER, HER FRIEND!

It had all been a lie. All of it. So… why, did she tell her…? Feeling her footfalls stop, the teenager continued to shiver as her mind slowly began to fight off the haze of anger that had started to cloud her senses. Why, was she crying then?

Watching Kari as her crying began to register now in her ears, Abby soon felt her rage subside, as It was replaced with concern for the younger girl screaming into her arms. She… she had lied to her, right? So why was she so broken up about it, if she was just using her, to begin with…

Staring on at the child with mixed emotions, the brunette breathed deeply as she saw the distraught way the little Witch was acting. She… was wrong. Feeling her anger trying to peek out again, Abby soon took a deep breath before bottling those emotions up.

Why had she thought that? Thought, that Kari, was a Monster… Taking a step forward, and then another, Abby silently closed her eyes before walking towards the blubbering child, her thoughts plagued once more by distress. She didn't like that her first conclusion was that… even if the evidence pointed to it.

Kari was a lot of things. A young witch… a clever herbalist… an indecisive child… a conundrum… But, she wasn't a Monster. She was too caring to ever be considered one. Stopping as she stood right in front of the sputtering toddler, Abby soon lifted her hand up, as it hovered over the younger girl's head.

This wasn't right. None of it was. But, jumping to that kind of a conclusion, was wrong. And as much as she wanted to call blame and let her anger seep out again, the teenager knew that would solve nothing. She needed some answers… real, answers.

Setting her palm down on the dirty blonde's hair, Abby winced as she felt the horrible recoil of her touch as the younger girl flinched. It was like she had struck her. Something that greatly bothered the older girl. Moving her hand back and forth as she continued to feel the child's trembling form, the brunette's eyes shifted back and forth between her, and Najia.

"Kari. Look, at, me…" She hadn't meant for that to come out so cold, but… it was hard to hold back the anger she felt. Hopefully, though, the little Witch would listen. Waiting patiently as she expected the younger girl to keep her face hidden from her, the teen was soon surprised, as she watched Kari obey her like she always did. Like they all seemingly did.

As her eyes met with Kari's however, the brunette soon felt her heart beginning to beat rapidly, as she looked into the bloodshot eyes of the younger girl, as her puffy cheeks rose from her arms. She looked, horrible. How long had she been crying like that? How long had it been, since she had told her the truth? It felt like seconds, but, it had been much longer, hadn't it?

Staring the younger girl down for a while longer as she tried to compose her own thoughts, the brunette soon closed her eyes before a soft sigh escaped her lips. Where was she even supposed to begin? She had to tread carefully as to not go off on the toddler, or else she might say something she didn't mean. Something, she couldn't take back...

Giving the little Hominal a gentle grip as she continued to pet her hair, Abby opened her eyes again before meeting witches. "Kari, is it true… C-Can you really not change me back?" Sniffling weakly as tears continued to roll down the dirty blonde's cheeks, Kari whimpered before clenching her eyes shut.

"I-I'm s-s-sorry… I… I'm sorry… I'm s-sorry…" Feeling her stomach drop as she listened to the younger girl's feeble words, Abby quietly shook her head before closing her eyes. ‘So… I guess, its true…' But, she was sure now. Kari was penitent.

Digging her fingers into the child's hair as she breathed deeply to calm herself, Abby opened her eyes once more before licking her parted lips. "Kari… Why, did you lie to me…? We made a promise to each other… it was our bargain. You said you could change me back if I helped Najia recover. How did you think this would end, once I did what you wanted me to?" The toddler was intelligent. Almost absurdly in fact. She had to have thought her plan through… right?

Clenching her teeth as she continued to sob, the younger girl rested her forehead onto the wooden bed frame in front of her before opening her whimpering mouth to speak. "I… I wanted…*sniff*, I wanted to change you back… I've wanted to since this all s-started… but… I-I-I'm too weak… I… I haven't learned the spell that does it yet…*sniff*".

Looking back at Kari in surprise now, a strange smile soon found its way to the brunette's lips as she looked up at the remorseful girl. "So… t-there is a way I can be changed back…?" Nodding her head into the bed frame, Kari continued to cry as she wiped away her innumerable tears.

"O-Of course! I… I had a plan… t-to change you back… but, I needed Najia to wake up first. S-S-She, she knows the counterspell… But she never taught it to me. I was only supposed to use this magic if it was a life or death circumstance…" Kari whimpered out. She always planned to change the teenager back to normal! She… she just needed to have Najia do it for her… But… But she never considered that she might actually die before she made their promise!

What would she have done if Najia died?! Then… then Abby would be stuck like this… and she wouldn't have Najia anymore… Bursting with a fresh wave of tears, Kari sobbed loudly as she moved her arms under her face before burying it in them. She did this! It was all her fault!

Keeping the same smile on her lips as she went over the child's words once more, Abby grinned wider now as she pieced it together. "So… you did have a plan. T-Thank god… I, I thought you just lied to me so I'd help you… I guess I'm sorry. I shouldn't have thought that you did this to me out of spite or something." She felt happy. Happy, that Kari wasn't really the Monster she had thought she was a few moments ago. Though, she probably had to take a look at herself for even thinking that now. What was she thinking anyways?

Lifting her head up weakly, Kari sputtered before shaking her head back and forth furiously. "W-WHY ARE YOU APOLOGIZING?! I'M THE ONE WHO DID THIS TO YOU! I'm… I am a Monster…" The brunette was right all along…

"KARI!"

Sniffling as she kept her gaze fixed away from the smaller girl, Abby's voice soon rang out freezing the toddler in place. "KARI! Don't you dare ignore me! Look at me! I'll give you to the count of three!" SHE SOUNDED REALLY ANGRY!

"One…"

Keeping her face firmly locked in place as she tried not to listen to the shrunken girl, the little Hominal soon whimpered as she heard the teen's voice echo out once more.

"Two…"

What was she supposed to do?! Abby sounded really, really angry! She didn't want to look at her… she was scaring her… what was she going to do… she had to-

"Thr- "

"I'M SORRY!!!!!"

Glaring back at the child as her violet eyes peaked out, Abby fumed as she stood up with her arms crossed. "Kari… If I ever hear you call yourself that again, I will NEVER, forgive you. Once Najia wakes up and I'm back to normal, expect a spanking for what you said!"

Eeping as her hands moved behind her back instinctively, Kari shook her head apologetically as she looked back at the smaller teen. "W-W-WHAT?! B-BUT I AM A- ""T-TWO, TWO SPANKINGS!" "BUT ABBY! THAT'S NOT FAIR- ""DO YOU WANT ME TO MAKE IT THREE!? SO, HELP ME I WILL!"

Whimpering louder than she ever had, the little witch cried softly before hanging her head in shame. Nodding her head silently, the teenager closed her eyes as she let out an inward sigh. Her mother used to do that to her whenever she acted up. It was nice to see she had learned a little bit of parenting even if she didn't have them anymore.

Fuming as she breathed ruggedly, Abby crossed her arms before shaking her head. Hopefully, she didn't go too far… but, she was really mad. Walking closer to the dirty blonde as she continued to softly cry, the brunette frowned before stopping right beneath her.

"Consider this your punishment for lying to me. Now, do you have any other secrets you're hiding from me?" Shaking her head quickly as she continued to cup her butt defensively, the smaller girl nodded before smiling softly. "Kari… what am I going to do with you?"

Looking back at the smaller woman perplexed, the little witch soon whimpered once more as she saw one of the warmest smiles she had ever seen on the brunette's face. WHY WAS SHE SMILING LIKE THAT AFTER WHAT SHE HAD DONE! She… she didn't understand…

"W-Why… why aren't you mad at me…? I… I did this… I lied to you…" She wanted to say it again… but, she feared for her rears wellbeing… and, of course, the fact Abby had said she wouldn't forgive her… Sighing softly as she listened to the fragile tone the child had used, Abby continued to smile as she reached out towards her.

Gulping fearfully, Kari whimpered before moving her face closer towards the shrunken human. Was she going to hit her?! Closing her eyes as her face rested right in front of the diminutive girl, the little Hominal soon reeled back in surprise as she felt, a small kiss…? Placed on her cheek by the brunette. WHAT WAS THAT FOR?!

Giggling softly as she saw the shocked expression present on the younger girl, Abby chuckled weakly as she peered back up at Kari. "Why should I be mad? You apologized to me for lying, and you told me that you're not hiding anything else. So, I forgive you."

Feeling her breath hitch, Kari was at a loss for words. She… she couldn't just forgive her for something like this! She… she had… betrayed her. She couldn't really expect to just, forgive her… Looking back into Abby's eyes as they stared at one another, the little witch's lower jaw trembled as tears began to form over her eyes once again.

"A-Abby… I… I'm sorry…" Nodding her head in affirmation, the teenager smiled as she saw the younger girl's hands reaching out for her. Not resisting as she was picked up, the brunette was soon found herself pressed against the younger girls dampened cheek as she was hugged. Hopefully, she would stop crying… she was starting to get wet…

Nuzzling the shrunken girl as she sobbed louder, Kari's eyes shined through her eyelids as she vented. Why… why was she so… forgiving… Why? She, she couldn't be human… humans were never like this! They were never… like Abby…

Sniffling as she continued to clutch the smaller girl into her, the little witch rocked back and forth as she felt the gentle movements of the teen she was holding. They didn't deserve someone like her. She didn't deserve someone like her… not after what she had done…

But, she was just like this now. Pulling away as she looked back at Abby weakly, Kari soon shook her head before crying even harder. "It's not… it's not fair… Why do you not, hate me…? I… I'm corrupt… I-I'm… I'm evil…"

Looking back at the little witch as she stared at her pleadingly, Abby had to frown now. "Kari, you're not evil… don't say that! I know why you did the things you did. You were scared that Najia might not recover without my help… I don't appreciate that you had to lie to me to get me to help you… but, I understand your reasons. I, wasn't really a good person before I came here. At least, that's how I see it. You did what you thought you had to do… But you never intended for me to stay like this. So, don't say you're evil or corrupt, or, a Monster." Abby warned.

She didn't like hearing a child as young as her saying such ridiculous things. She was further from a monster then herself… Sniffling as she shook her head, the dirty blonde soon clenched her eyes before her voice turned into a sharp whisper.

"I… I am though… E-Even… even my daddy said so… And, it's true… Look what I did to you…" She whimpered sorrowfully. Stiffening as she heard the Hominal's words, Abby's eyes widened significantly at the mention of her father. She had never talked to her about him… or for that matter her mother…

Lowering her eyes as she thought about the topic, the smaller girl clenched her hands into the little witches before looking back up to meet the child's pleading gaze. Did she really want to open that box? Casey had said it was sad… and, from what she had heard, as ambiguous as it had been, it seemed that way…

But… she had to wonder, would it benefit the younger girl, if she opened her old wounds? Staring long and hard into one another's eyes for what felt like minutes, the teen was the first to break contact as her eyes fell once more. She had to ask…

"Kari… What happened to you, before you came here. Before, you met Najia? Who are you, really?" Seeing the witch's breath hitch in her throat as she all but choked on her air, Abby shivered as she saw the shocked look the dirty blonde wore. Just how bad could it be?

Licking her lips as she tried to form the right sentence, Abby sighed for what had to have been the hundredth time before clenching her fingers into the child's own. "Kari… I've learned a lot since coming here. I learned about Casey's mom… about Poppy's dad… about Eve's parents… and Brook's abduction. I've even learned about Yu's mate… And every time I learn more about each of you girl's, I grow closer to you. Kari, you haven't told me much beyond your name compared to everyone else. I need to know more if you want to be friends. I know, that something bad happened to you… something really bad… but, I won't be able to understand it, or you unless you tell me."

She wanted to be friends with her… but she couldn't call her that if she didn't actually know anything about her. So, she had to ask… even if it made the toddler uncomfortable. Shivering as she processed what had been asked, Kari was muted by the shrunken girl's words.

‘M-My… my past…' She wanted to know, about her past…? Crying softly as different memories popped up in her mind, the little blonde softly whimpered before shaking her head. She didn't want to think about it! She didn't want to think about what had happened… or, what would have happened had Najia not shown up when she did…

Feeling a gentle pinching feeling on her fingers, Kari soon opened her eyes back up as her glowing gaze fell on the smaller teenager, hugging her gently. ‘A-A-Abby…' She… she was her friend! Why did she need to know about what had happened to her?! It… it was all a mistake…

Everything was a mistake… So, why did she want to tell her…? Watching as the younger girl's eyes lingered on her longingly, Abby simply smiled as she nuzzled her cheek into the younger girl's fingers. "Kari… I'm not demanding anything from you. If you don't feel like telling me, then don't. I just want to know. It helps to talk about these kinds of things with friends. Why do you think everyone likes me so much, even after we've only just met?" She tried to go the extra mile for everyone. And now, she had to put that same effort in for the very first person she had met since coming here.

 

For all she knew, she might need the most help of them all…

 

Biting her lower lip as she sobbed softly, the younger Hominal soon shifted her glowing eyes away before sniffling. "What… do you want to know…" Smiling happily as she heard the faintest of whispers above her, Abby grinned from ear to ear as she hugged the toddler tighter. She was opening up to her…

"Everything Kari. Tell me everything you can. I want to know more about you, and if you want, I can tell you more about myself afterward's… well, whatever's left I haven't already told you I guess. Let's be more open from now on. Alright?"

Nodding timidly, the younger girl soon shifted her quivering face back towards the teen before letting out a parted sigh as she tried to breathe calmly. She didn't know if this would help or not… but, if Abby wanted to know more… then it was her responsibility to tell her. She was her friend after all…

Even after what she had done, she still called her, her friend… Hardening her eyes as she nodded once more, the little Witch looked back at Abby with focus before her lips parted. "W-What do you want to know f-first?" She would tell her everything. No more secrets…

Petting the child comfortingly, the smaller girl gently shrugged her shoulders as she continued to hold onto the younger girl's hand.

 

"I guess, how this all started. How did you end up here in the first place?"

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

~ 8 months back ~

 

 

"Mommy, mommy! I found it, I found it!"

 

Lifting her head up as sweat beaded down her brow, a lone woman amidst a sea of flowers rose as she looked around the meadow she was standing in for the voice that had called out to her. She had light blonde hair, with patches of brown scattered in giving her rather dirty locks a natural appeal. Adorned in a simple brown, rugged dress, one scene mostly worn by the poorer casts, the woman kept it neat and trimmed for what it was, barring the dirt and grass stains that lingered around where her knees were.

Stretching her arms out as she looked up at the spot where her daughter was, the older woman smiled as she saw the smaller child making her way towards her, the various flowers they were in almost covering her whole form as she tried to run back to her.

"Kari, I thought I told you to stay close to me. How did you sneak off so easily?" She giggled. It was pretty common for the toddler to vanish whenever she brought her out here. Thankfully though, she always returned. And usually, she had just the thing they came out here to find.

Making her way through the overgrown greenery as she stumbled briefly, the giddy child soon collided with the woman she hugged her legs happily. "I found it, I found it! Look! They're fully matured to!" Staring down at her daughter wordlessly, a wide smile spread across the older woman's face as she saw the herb the child possessed.

‘Meadowsweet!' They had been searching for hours! Reaching down and plucking Kari up, the woman sighed quietly before kissing the giggling daughter on her cheek. "It's perfect sweetie. This is just what mommy needed to make her medicine with. Thank you."

Matching her smile with a grin of her own, Kari nodded before nuzzling the dirty blondes face with her own. She couldn't wait to help her! Her Mommy was the greatest when it came to making remedies for their village!

Walking down the beaten path that led back to the forest which her village resided in, the blonde said nothing as the mulled over her child's actions. She had found the plant on her own, and as she had said, it was matured and at its peak for use. Her comprehension of herbs was growing daily, along with her intelligence. It was staggering, to say the least… but also very concerning… She was probably as smart as an adolescent now if she had to gauge it.

Hiding her frown from the bubbly child, the older woman breathed a deep sigh through her nose as she continued to walk. She would have to up the dosage of Kari's medicine, or else her body would keep growing resistant to it like it seemed to be doing now. Or worse… immune…

 

If that happened, then her powers would manifest freely, and unchecked…

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

~Killahm~

 

 

Passing through the small forestry that made up the archway to their village, both Kari and her mother arrived not too long after they left as they made their way through the small village. Keeping her wiggling daughter in her arms as she continued to giggle and dangle her feet about, the older woman looked around as she got a feel for their morning's presence.

Winter was coming up in just a few months, and it seemed plenty of people were preparing. Though they lived in a rather secluded and rural area, plenty of new faces appeared before them. While this town didn't have much to offer for trade, it did have quite a few locals who were well versed in their profession, herself included.

"Good-mornin' Kathleena, out and bout early as usual I see." Waving to one of the local farmers, the blonde flashed the younger man a warm smile as she lifted Kari up once more so she wouldn't fall out of her arms. "I have to be or else I'd never get anything done," she chuckled.

It also helped that she didn't like being in her home any longer then she needed. The earlier her day started the better, and the later she returned usually depended… Giving waves and greetings left and right as she walked down the lively streets, the older woman turned the corner to her cottage as she looked up at it with pride.

Although this was a forest village, for the most part, not many plants thrived as abundantly because of the tree's blocking out most of the light. Yet, even so, her home was the exception. Vines grew over the entirety of the small cottage with plants and flowers showering it with color. It was the perfect place in her eyes, and her daughters.

Lowering Kari back to the ground as she let the child run towards their home, Kathleena lifted up the Meadowsweet her daughter had found as she examined it closely. Stopping a few feet from her home as she reached the entranceway, the blonde kneeled down before plucking one of the small stems of the plant with her fingers.

"Et crescere~ somnum!" Whispering a chant as her eyes shimmered briefly, the woman plunged her hand into one of the few spacious spots of dirt not currently occupied by one of her seedlings before pulling her hand out slowly as her fingers swam through the earth.

Smiling cheerfully as a tiny sprout wiggled to life as it grew towards her fingertips, Kathleena nodded before standing back up. It would grow in time to be a beautiful addition to her herb garden. "Thank you." Giving a faint bow to the little sprout as a tiny leaf grew lastly on it, the blonde stood back up before making her way inside.

Hopefully, Kari was already collecting her milling utensils. She still had a medicine to prepare, and an important one at that.

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

"Pinch, of citronella, best used in the form of an oil. Three drops, no more, no less. Mix in spring water, and only spring water. The minerals need to be there to balance out the rest of the acids in the plants. And finally, the Meadowsweet. Do you know what other names this herb has been given Kari?"

Biting her lower lip as she hopped up and down happily, Kari hummed as she looked up at her mother with joy. She liked when they did stuff like this together. But, she really liked when she asked her things. It was her opportunity to shine the most!

Closing her eyes as her mind went back to one of the many books she had read from her mother's small library, Kari's eyes opened back up as she smiled. She could remember the pages like they were right in front of her!

"Meadowsweet! It's called other stuff like Mead Wort! But it's also got a pretty name like Lady of the Meadow and even Queen of the Meadow! Is it a royal flower mommy?" Biting back her laughter, Kathleena tapped her lips thoughtfully before shrugging her shoulders.

"You know, I don't believe I've ever thought of it as such. But… perhaps it is. Maybe that's why only you could find it. It is in the rose family after all. It would only show itself to my little Primcess~." Laughing happily as her daughter hugged her affectionately, the older woman sighed in amusement.

‘Her mind is definitely developing.' At this rate, she might even learn as much as her when it came to medicinal studies in just a few years. She'd have to slow her down or else she would never truly enjoy her childhood. Almost all the of the children in the village already avoided her because of the way she talked and acted.

It was troubling… But, she couldn't help but smile whenever she saw her daughter take a path less traveled. It was what made her special after all. Smiling softly as she rubbed the toddler's hair, Kathleena moved the plucked Meadowsweet she had been holding over the large mixing bowl in front of her before letting her fingers release them.

Watching the cascade of petals and grasses fall freely into the mix, Kari was silent as she saw how each of the herb fragments danced about before joining the rest of the concoction her mother was making. They looked so pretty when she added them in like that!

Stirring the small bowl as she watched the remaining herbs dissolve away, the older woman nodded before moving her finger down into the light verdant fluid it had created. "Kari, can you go fetch me my vials please." Nodding her head quickly, the dirty blonde took off in a hurry as she looked for what her mother had asked for.

Making sure the younger girl was out of earshot, the blonde smiled before her eyes glowed faintly once more. "Convenit!" Swirling around the woman's fingertip, the vibrant concoction glowed a bright hue of purple before fading away completely as it lightly bubbled before simmering.

‘Perfect!' This potion would no doubt help plenty of people. She had enough for about 20 doses. Withdrawing her hand and wiping off what remained on her fingers, the older woman felt a gentle tugging on her brown dress before looking down.

"H-Here! I didn't know how many you needed so I just brought them all." Snorting as she tried to control her laughter, Kathleena smiled in amusement as she saw her daughter wobbling back and forth as she held a large wooden crate in her arms full of different glass bottles and containers.

"Oh, Kari… you really didn't need to do that. I only needed one." Plucking a small vile the size of her finger out of the assorted box, the older woman gave her child a gentle pat on her head before smirking as she watched her waddling away as she tried not drop what she had been carrying.

Dipping the small container into her potion before sealing it with some of the wax that dripped down from a small candle on her medicine table, Kathleena smiled before swirling around the small dose of medicine she had made. This one was for a baker in her village who was suffering from chest pains primary around his heart.

‘I hope you ease the poor man and heal him.' Giving the vial a small kiss before slipping it into her dress pocket, the blonde was about to start cleaning up before a loud crash startled her from her work. Rubbing the bridge of her nose as she heard crying on the other end of it, the older woman sighed before making her way to her daughter.

 

‘Sometimes I worry about you, Kari…' She could be a klutz more often than not…

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

"Kathleena! Where is it? I told you to have supper prepared when I got back! Kathleena? Kathleena!"

 

Forcing a small smile as she felt Kari cling to her leg silently, the older blonde stepped into her dining chambers as she looked at a rugged man sitting at the table in the center of it. He was tall, with a gruffer appearance. Dark black hair adorned his head and features matching the patchy stubble of his beard. Sitting impatiently at the table in a pair of patched pants and a dark coat, the man soon looked at the two of them as he watched the blonde walking towards him with a plate in hand.

"Of course, I have it right here. Please, don't shout. You're scaring Kari… Dear." Looking beyond the woman in front of him, the agitated man scowled as he saw the toddler trying to ignore him as she buried her face deeper into her mother's brown dress. "Hey! Is that any way to greet yer pap? Come over here!"

Clinging onto the older woman fearfully, Kari tried not to be noticed before her mother's fingers moved behind her head. "Kari sweetie, go give your father a hug. He's been working really hard today and deserves to be greeted." She whispered sweetly.

Looking up at the older woman, Kari soon pouted before nodding. Watching her daughter closely as she saw the little blonde move in front of her husband before extending her shaking arms forward, Kathleena glared as she set the plate she had been holding down gently.

‘Don't make a scene Kari…' She was scared again… Petting the younger girls head as he smirked back at the child, the older man was soon brought back to the table as food was set in front of him. "So, what is it today? Did ya make the meat the boys and I caught for ya? You know everyone's gonna be here tomorrow. You better not mess it up again like last time…" He warned before moving to eat from his plate.

Smiling feigningly as she gently overlapped her arms, Kathleena nodded before moving the chair beside her out for her daughter to crawl onto. "Of course, Aidan. I started the marinade before daybreak today. I made sure to use all the freshest ingredients I had from my garden. I'm sure you'll love it." She whispered quietly.

Eating with gusto as he soaked up the small puddles that remained on his plate with bread, the raven-haired man nodded before swallowing what he had in his mouth already. "Ay? And what did ya use?" Feeling her mouth grow dry as her husband eyed her darkly, the blonde gulped as her smile quivered slightly.

"F-Fresh garlic cloves, peeled and soaked in lemon. I-It will help break down the meat better. A-And I also used some of the spices you bought last season. I know how much you like… them…" Growing silent as she saw her husband stand up abruptly, Kathleena grew pale before she started to shiver.

Tossing what remained of the stale bread he had been eating prior onto the table, the man's eyes widened before he made his way over towards his wife. "And what gives you the right to use my rations! I was savin those ya bridget!"

Standing up slowly as her hands clenched onto the wooden table, the older woman licked her lips before looking at her husband pleadingly. "I-I-I just thought- "Stopping abruptly as the words in her mouth were stripped from her by a painful slap to her cheek, Kathleena soon reeled back before falling back into her chair in dismay.

"That's the problem! Ya always think, WRONG! I spent a week for those preserves and ya wasted them on this?! Are ya daft! Who do ya think you are!" He barked angrily. Those were his spices! She should have never laid her fingers on them unless he said so!

Panting rapidly as she tried to calm herself, the battered woman instinctively looked towards her daughter first before her eyes widened. ‘N-Not again!' Looking into her child's eyes as the faintest glow shimmered in her terrified gaze, Kathleena smiled before falling forward onto her knee's and bowing her head.

"P-PLEASE FORGIVE ME! I-I was wrong as usual! I… I deserve your j-judgment Dear… I'm sorry…" Trembling in place as she tried to do whatever she could to make her husband focus on her and not their daughter, the blonde soon flinched as she felt a hand placed on the back of her head.

"Well, as long as ya know it was yer fault… Fine… But we're sellin your greens until ya make enough to buy more of my rations back. Amongst other services." He chuckled. Gritting her teeth angrily, Kathleena nodded quickly before raising her head up slowly.

"R-Right… w-whatever you want, Aidan. Shall… shall I, service you now…?" Smiling smugly as his wife obediently responded, the raven-haired man nodded before walking past her. "Get in our bed. I'll be in shortly." Nodding timidly as she tried to control anger, the older woman nodded as she listened to the footfalls behind fade out.

‘D-Damn him… DAMN IT!' Clenching her fingers into the floorboards painfully as she tried to hold her tongue, Kathleena was soon brought back to the present as she heard a quiet sniffling coming from the table. Looking up in an instant, the woman was on her feet in seconds before cradling Kari in her chest protectively as she tried to get her to stop crying.

"T-There, there, don't cry sweetie. M-Mommy was just… being corrected. I should have listened better, that's all. Come on, don't weep, breathe… take, deep, breathes…" Looking at her child fearfully as she radiant glow in her irises remained, the older woman soon let out a sigh of relief as she watched the bright magenta hue that had formed finally start to fade away.

‘Thank the lord…' It was worse this time around. If her husband had seen it, then he would have known immediately what she was. What, they both were. Licking her lips as she tried to calm herself, Kathleena smiled weakly as she hugged her daughter into her tighter.

"There, there… it's fine… it's going to be all-" "KATHLEENA! I SAID TO GET IN BED! Do I need to drag you in here myself?!" Hearing the whimpers resurface from the toddler she was clinging to, the older woman sighed before looking back into Kari's eyes dismayed as she saw the glow that was fading before starting to resurface.

She needed to dose her again… Standing up quietly as she made her way over towards one of the cabinets on the dining chamber walls, the older blonde moved her hand forward before pulling out a small vial with a murky black tint to it.

"J-Just a minute Dear… I, I need to put Kari to bed. You don't want her to… to, interrupt us… right?" Waiting for one of the many answers she could have provoked, the woman soon sighed as she heard a grunt in return. It was an answer of sorts. She knew that after being with her bastard of a husband after so long. Certain sounds were specific when he didn't care to talk.

Moving the vial around in her hands as she gently shook it to make sure it mixed properly, Kathleena silent fumed. If it wasn't for the fact she wanted a child she could have mated long ago with someone more deserving.

‘And to think I passed up that wonderful Beastial back in Carrowshire all those years ago…' She was a lovely Inugami. Sure, she might not have been as intelligent as a Hominal, but she seemed so caring and kind at the time. But sadly, most Hominal, herself included preferred the mate of humans rather than their own kind. It was easier to get essence in that sense. Though the act involved was too much sometimes… like, tonight.

‘Maybe making her into my Familiar might have been a better option…' At least then she would have someone to comfort her in the worst of times. But… she did have someone. Smiling sadly as she listened to the sniffling of her daughter behind her, Kathleena sighed as she forced another smile to her face. ‘Stay strong…' It was all for her. When the time came and her daughter was old enough to control her powers, then, they could leave. She had refrained from mating just in case something like this happened in the end. Oh, how her old mentor was right.

Turning back to her daughter happily as she lifted up the small vial she was still shaking, the older woman stepped back over to the toddler before kneeling down in front of her. "Kari… it's time for your medicine. Remember, you need to drink it all. Every, last, drop!" She popped her lips, earning a faint giggle amongst the tears that stained the younger girl's cheeks.

Wiping her face down as she continued to smile, the blonde soon poked a hole in the top of the wax sealed container before moving it to her lips. "Remember, drink it all." Nodding quietly as she listened to her mother, Kari opened her mouth before whining as she tasted the foul medicine fall onto her tongue.

Wincing as she watched the younger girl gagging on the mix, Katheena said nothing as her hand tenderly held onto the child's chin just in case she tried to jerk her head away… again. Potions were hard to make after all. She couldn't afford to waste any of this suppressant. It very well might be the only thing that kept them both safe and sound. Manifesting powers in the young could be… volatile.

Her husband wouldn't be very forgiving if he ever found out they were actually Witches. Tapping her fingertip on the bottom of the vial, the older woman nodded before a small (genuine) smile fell over her lips. "Good girl. Did you drink it all?"

Nodding her head weakly as she gave her mother a disgusted look, Kari moved her face forward before burying her head into the blonde's brown dress. "It's gross mommy… I don't like it…" Chuckling as she finally heard her daughter speak up since her husband came home, the older woman sighed as she pulled the younger girl into her comfortingly.

"Medicine generally is. But, it serves a purpose. Now, it's time for bed Kari. Come along." Standing up as she cradled her little Hominal in her hands, Kathleena nuzzled the younger girl as she brought her to her room. As much as she would have liked to sleep with her, she didn't want Kari anywhere near her husband…

 

Especially not after what she was about to do for him…

 

It was a curse to be so dependent on Essence… and, it disgusted her, that she liked the taste so much.

 

The last thing they needed, was Kari to hear what was to come...

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

~  The Next Day ~

 

 

Cupping her head tightly as she gently rocked back and forth in her small bed, Kari hummed loudly as she tried to not hear what was going on in the other room. But, she wasn't succeeding very well…

 

Jumping as a loud crash echoed out along with a loud cheer of chorus from the numerous men in their evening room, the little blonde continued to hum as she tried to get back to that safe place she was in a few moments before.

Her father had men over again… and she really didn't want to hear any of them, they were just as mean as him… Stiffening as she heard a small cry ring out, Kari's eyes widened as she looked towards her bedroom door.

"M-Mommy…?"

Sitting still as she heard nothing for a few moments another loud crash rang out as she heard the multitude of people screamed once again. Why did they always get so angry like that? And, was her mommy ok…?

‘Kari, stay inside your room. And please, whatever you do, whatever you hear, don't come out until I come back in to get you.' It was a simple instruction. Her mother often told her to stay away from the people her father brought over… but…

Hearing another loud cry from the older blonde once again, Kari soon grit her teeth before her feet hit the floorboards. ‘Mommy!' What was happening to her mommy!

She had to see… had to make sure, she was ok…

 

Especially since her daddy brought out the poison…

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

"SCORE! THAT'S MY POINT!"

 

Glaring bitterly at the ground as she listened to the group of men behind her cheering as they tossed coins her way, Kathleena sighed softly as she began picking up the loose pieces of copper so she could give them back to her husband and his friends…

She didn't know this past time very well, but from what she had surmised the game they were playing involved flicking, tossing, or skipping coins of different sizes in an attempt to make them land on their mark… That being said, somehow, she ended up being said mark… and the varies welts that littered her body was beginning to stack up…

‘Well, at least this one's not as bad as their last festivity...' There was a bit too much groping involved… amongst other things. Moving her cupped hands over the table the group of six men sat down at, the younger woman looked towards them all before gently laying the coins down once again before sorting them out for them. Counting was hard in the state they were in now.

‘Damned you fools, poisoning yourselves like this…' It was like they didn't even care about their lives! But, perhaps it might mean her and her daughters suffering at the hands of her husband would be shortened… Though, that would mean having to find a new Human to mooch off of as well.

Turning around quickly so she didn't need to keep her face to close to the intoxicated people behind her, Kathleena made it about two feet before feeling something sharp impact with the back of her head. "HA! Did ya see that lads?! I bet nonna ya can hit yer mark like I can!"

Wincing as she heard an uproar started by her husbands boast, the younger woman cringed as she felt the impacts that followed as her legs, back, shoulders and head were struck repeatedly once more. Thankfully though all of the inebriated men had their motor skills reduced due to all the alcohol running through their systems. This would probably be the only time she was ever thankful for the foul liquor.

Standing still as she felt the coins die off as different men shouted their marks, the blonde sighed before turning around and leaning down. However, she didn't get a chance to start gathering the coins back up again as something whizzed towards her face before striking her right between her eyes.

Screaming as she stumbled backward, Kathleena whimpered from the painful stinging she felt as she gently rubbed the new welt that had formed below her brow. It… it had drawn blood. Touching right above the bridge of her nose as she silently hissed in pain, the younger woman withdrew her hand as she saw the crimson liquid trickling down her palm.

"HA! I TOLD THE LOT OF YA! NONNA YA CAN HIT YER MARK, LIKE, ME!" Gritting her teeth angrily as a loud chorus of roars rang out followed by what sounded like a mug shattering on the floor, the battered woman panted angrily as she felt her powers trying to surface.

‘N-N-No… not now… stay, back!' These were hunters! She couldn't reveal herself to them. Even in their enamored state, there was still a chance they could overpower her… or worse, Kari. Thinking about her child momentarily, Kathleena bit her lower lip before nodding to herself.

She had to stay strong, for her. Relaxing as she felt her magic subsiding, the blonde opened her eyes up before glaring back at her husband as she continued to talk with his friends… completely oblivious to how much that last coin had hurt her.

However, her gaze had caught the attention of one of the other men before he began to snicker. "Ey, I don't think yer lass like's yer aim that much!" He snarked before bursting into laughter along with a couple of the others.

Blinking in confusion, the raven-haired man looked to his wife before scowling. "She'll like whatever I tell her to! Kathleena! Come, get over here!" Cursing under her breath for having to oblige to her plastered husband's demands, the Hominal stood up as her head hung low.

Would it be a slap, a punch, or a kick? Or all three if he was in a fouler mood then he looked. Standing submissively beside the scowling man, the younger woman all but screeched as she felt a sharp sting on her rear as husband's hand began to squeeze her butt a tad too tightly.

"See that? She listens! Ya need to have a firm hand with yer property. Aint that right Kath?" Biting her tongue in disgust as she felt more of the uncomfortable groping, the younger Hominal simply nodded as she tried not to look at any of them. This… this was humiliating… And, it was starting to really hurt!

Pulling the blonde into his lap with his rough grip, Kathleena soon tumbled into her husband as he held her tightly. "Like I said, a firm hand," He grinned as his own began to creep under her dress. Hearing multiple hollers as his friends egged the plastered man on further, the younger woman was left helpless as she was further molested.

‘P-Please… s-stop…' She hated this… His touch felt acrid. But, it wasn't about to stop… it was only going to get worse. Seeing the rough handling of the blonde, soon some of the other men joined in as their hands began to slink up the woman's body as they felt her up.

Smirking in amusement as he held his wife in place, laughter soon rang out as they all looked on at the struggling woman being held still. "Ya like that boys? Are ya jealous even? Ha! I'll share, have a feel of what's mine and not yersh!" He slurred out as he saw the envious eyes of his fellow hunters.

Quivering from the foul touches traveling up her body, Kathleena clenched her eyes shut as she began to cry. ‘S-Stop… stop it… Stop it! STOP IT!' "LEAVE ME ALONE!" Looking at the woman in shock, everyone was soon left gaping as they watched the blonde shove her husband away before staggering to the floor as she cupped her arms shakily.

She felt… ill. She… she couldn't take it anymore! "KATHLEENA!" Paling as she heard an angry voice ring out, the Hominal gulped before looking behind her as she saw the bright red face of the raven-haired man she called her *husband*.

She couldn't talk her way out of this… he looked, furious… Standing up slowly as he staggered back and forth a bit, the inebriated man growled underneath his breath before stomping over to the kneeling woman before his fingers soon wove themselves into her blonde locks.

Screaming as her hair was pulled upward so she was forced to look back at her husband's menacing gaze, the blonde softly cried as she prepared for what was about to happen. Hopefully, she could still move tomorrow… and the damage wouldn't be permanent…

 

"M-Mommy…"

 

Growing pale as a weak and whimpering voice echoed out beyond the group of men and her husband, Kathleena looked past them with wide and fearful eyes as she saw her daughter standing in her loose bedgown with an equally scared expression on her face. SHE TOLD HER NOT TO COME OUT!

Watching as her husband turned his head towards her now, older witch grit her teeth before gripping onto Aidan's hand before digging her nails into his skin. His focus had to be on her! Crying out in anger, the intoxicated man yanked the blonde harder before backhanding her cheek in rage.

 

"MOMMY!"

 

"SHUT UP GIRL AND GO BACK TO… Yer… room…?" Looking back at the toddler as did everyone else, a strange wave of unease traveled through the group before all eyes widened as they saw the child's crying eyes slowly beginning to flicker to life with color.

"W-What, what the hell is that…?" It looked like her eyes, were glowing… Clenching her petite hands together as she stared back at her mother's crawling form, Kari soon began to whimper before she opened her mouth to scream.

"MOOOOOMMMMMMYYYYYYYY!"

Crying out in pain as a high-pitched shriek resonated deafening all other forms of sound, everyone soon fell to their knees as they clutched their head in pain. What was this otherworldly cry?! Digging her nails into the floorboards as she felt her head beginning to rupture from the noise her daughter was creating, Kathleena was left in a state of disbelief.

‘W-What… power!' This was more then she could have ever comprehended for someone as young as her! The suppressant medicine… it, it was being rendered null by her magic! What sort of powers did her little flower even possess?!

Wincing as the all the windows in their home began to splinter and crack as the younger girl's voice continued to ring, Kathleena began to crawl forward weakly as she tried to reach her. "K-Kari… S-Stop!" This was bad… She was going to overexert herself and use up all of her Energy!

She had to stop her before-. Blinking as her world grew silent, the older Witch looked back at her daughter in shock as she watched one of her husband's friends slam one of their chairs into the back of her child. ‘Kari…'

Immediately upon being hit, the toddler's unearthly shriek ended as abruptly as it began, leaving everyone in pain and confused, as they tried to comprehend what on earth had even just happened…

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

~ Somewhere else ~

 

 

"MOOOOOMMMMMMYYYYYYYY!"

 

 

Sitting up as her ears twitched in discomfort, Najia looked around in confusion as she heard a high-pitched ringing agitating her senses. ‘What in the world…' It sounded like a child… screaming. But, that wasn't possible, was it? Her camp was set up miles away from any towns. Even with her heightened sense of hearing the odds of hearing anyone this far away was minuscule at best.

Standing up slowly as her furry ears wiggled back and forth as she listened for the screams origins, the Kitsunes frown deepened as she figured out the direction the shrieking was coming from. It was a child's scream without a doubt. And from the tone and frequency, it was most likely some type of Hominal's in pain.

‘Is… there time…?' It had to be miles away. Would she be able to make it to whoever was making this noise in time? Mulling it over momentarily, the blonde was soon interrupted from her troubling thoughts as something dropped down in front of her.

"Go. It needs you..." Smiling warmly back at Ebon as the little Dragon Pup kneeled up from her crouch cautiously, the older woman nodded before disappearing with the wind, as she took off after the foreign child.

 

Hopefully, she would make it to her before anything bad happened to her… or, anything else.

 

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

"STOP IT!"

 

"LET HER GO!"

 

"LET GO OF MY BABY!"

 

"KARI! KARI!!"

 

 

Whimpering in pain as her head continuously rang for some strange reason, Kari softly murmured as she heard her mothers voice calling out to her. Why was there so much noise? It sounded like shouting… And crying…

Cracking open her eyes weakly, the little witch blinked as she tried to see what was going on. She felt, really, really tired… But, the sound of her mother was driving her to focus. But… what she saw, extinguished all fatigue she felt, as the child's eyes shot open in shock.

Screaming for her mother as she watched the older blonde seemingly strung up on a wooden pole, Kari tried to call out to her but something was in her mouth preventing her from doing just that. What was happening?! Why was her mommy tied to a pole?! Why were people tossing wood under her?! Why were there so many people screaming at her… and… at, herself…?

Looking down in shock as she saw what looked like the entire village beneath her, the toddler could only shake and tremble as she soon came to the same realization that she had with her mother. She was bound and tied up to. And they were both facing one another…

Looking down at the rest of her village who had been roused in the night by her daughter's otherworldly cry, Kathleena was left sputtering and in tears as she watched the horror unfolding before them. Why were they allowing all this?!

THEY WERE BUILDING A PYRE!

Looking around frantically as she made eye contact with her fellow villagers and friends, Kathleena was soon left speechless as she watched them all pointing and whispering at her and her child. Why… why was no one, protesting this…

THEY WERE HER FRIENDS!

"P-PLEASE! Let… let my baby go… PLEASE!" Shaking her head as she cried in pain, the older Hominal was left in hysterics as she saw the remaining hunters that had been staying in her village tossing the last of what they needed beneath her.

Why… why was no one defending her? These people… she knew them all. WHY WERE THEY SO QUICK TO JUDGE HER! Biting her lip as tears streamed down her cheeks, the older woman looked around hopelessly as she saw her daughter struggling helplessly across from her.

‘K-Kari… why…' Why did this have to happen? Why… why… why… She was just a child! Gritting her teeth in anger, Kathleena glared at the village below her as she watched the men beneath her tossing some kind of liquid onto the wood that had piled up.

"She's… just a child… SHE'S JUST MY CHILD! HELP HER!"

Shifting her eyes back and forth as she tried to find anyone who would oblige her, the older witch was left enraged as she saw them all… one by one, turning away. "SEAN! YOU'VE KNOWN US FOR YEARS! W-WE'VE BOUGHT BREAD FROM YOU AND MOLLY EVERY WEEK SINCE WE CAME HERE! CONNOR! W-WE SELL YOU FLOWERS AND HERBS EVERY OTHER DAY! D-DECLAN! OUR… our d-daughters play together whenever I come over to treat Brielle… P-P-Please… just let Kari go… Please… Please… Please…"

Hanging her head in shame as she saw her friends, her neighbors… her family, turning away so they didn't have to witness what was going to happen, Kathleena was left speechless by what was occurring. Everyone was abandoning them…

‘K-Kari…' She needed to do something. Looking up at her daughter as she saw her tearful gaze falling on her and her alone, Kathleena quietly prayed as she shook her head back and forth. ‘Not like this… n-not like this…' Anything, but a trial by fire…

She was just a child…

Going deaf as the shouts and sneers of both villager and traveler alone permitted the air, the older witch was silent as she saw a small group of men moving towards her and her daughter with a torch in hand. Why… why did they string them up like this… Why were they forcing them, to have to watch one another…?

This… this was sick. Glaring down at the humans who were screaming up at her, Kathleena soon felt her rage grow immeasurable as she saw who was leading the pack of hunters towards them. It was him… it was all, because of him…

Gritting her teeth as her eyes lit up a bright shade of purple, Kathleena screamed in fury as she looked her husband in his eyes with the purest form of rage she had ever felt. "AIDAN! SHE'S, YOUR, DAUGHTER!" SHE WAS HIS TOO!

Looking towards the darkly lit ground as she heard his wife's screams echoing out towards him, the raven-haired man continued to glare before eventually looking up at both her and Kari with disgust. "THAT THING, IS NOT MINE! IT'S EVIL! BURN THE IMPOSTER, BURN THE WITCH!"

As a wave of approval traveled through the large crowd, all voices paled in comparison to Kathleena's as she screamed back at her husband. But, it was all soon deafened, as the torch the hunters had been holding was tossed forward, and the bramble and brush beneath the blonde's pyre were ignited, and the flames it sparked crackled to life in a loud and rumbling roar.

Screaming into her gag as she tried to cry out her mother's name, Kari was soon silenced as she watched the large pole she was mounted on, burst into flames. ‘M-M-Mommy!' Thrashing on her own pike as she heard her mother's screams ringing out, tears cascaded down the little blonde's face as she was forced to watch the horrific spectacle before her…

Was this a bad dream, it had to be… right? R-Right?! Biting into the rag between her teeth as she tried to yank at it, the little Hominal was utterly helpless to do anything, but simply watch and observe… as her mother was burned alive right in front of her.

Struggling less and less as the older woman's screams dwindled by the seconds, all fight the little witch had left began to fade as she fell limp into her tight bindings, and the fire before her was all that she saw. Her mother… she wasn't visible anymore… She…

 

She was just, gone…

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

*Sniff* *Sniff*

 

‘Fire…'

 

Looking around from the top of the tree line she was leaping off of, Najia's eyes hardened as tried to focus her senses and locate the child who had called out to her earlier that night. It had almost been an hour, and she had a feeling her time was almost up to find her.

 

But, she was close. The fire in front of her was a dead giveaway, that something was very, very wrong…

 

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

Watching the large fire as it burned away into the night, many villagers and hunters kept their eyes on what remained of the Monster they had just defeated before their hungry eyes fell to the remaining one still bound up at the stake.

Looking up at the creature in the guise of a small child, many men and woman alike sneered with disgust as they looked to the man currently holding the torch to the younger witch's pyre. Now that the older one had been taken care of, there was just one Monster left that needed to be cleansed from their peaceful village.

It was just hard to believe that these things had been here for so long. It was as Kathleena had said… they once knew her. But, it wasn't the woman they thought her to be. And, neither was her child.

Looking up at his daughter contemptibly, as he saw the lifeless way her eyes watched the deadly inferno in front of her, Aidan spat onto the ground before tossing the torch into the air. It made him sick… sick to his stomach. These things had lied to him… They acted like they were his… And now he had to deal with the problem himself.

 

It was disgusting… And they both needed to di-

 

Growing somber all of a sudden as a fierce gust of wind flew through the large crowd of people, many villagers had to hold onto one another in shock as they tried to buffer the bizarre act of nature. What on earth had that been?!

"U-UP THERE! W-W-WHAT IS THAT THING?!"

Hearing a cry of fright followed by many other screams that followed, all eyes were soon cast up to the remaining witch that hadn't been set ablaze yet as they looked on at the imposing visage of what they could only call one thing… a true Monster…

Brandishing all nine tails as she held the tossed torch that one of the humans had thrown towards the premade pyre, Najia's eyes glowed a radiant golden as she wore a face of pure, and unadulterated rage. What… were these people… DOING!

Casting her ominous gaze to the villagers beneath her and the child she now clung next to, the Kitsune was livid as she looked for the accuser. She didn't need to look too hard into what was about to happen. As her eyes fell on the man who had tossed the lit torch, however, all composure she felt abandoned her as her tails shot in his direction.

 

"Xià… Dìyù…"

 

Looking up in confusion at the strange creature, Aidan said nothing before the dirt beneath him suddenly began to crack. However, he didn't get the luxury to look down before the ground underneath the raven-haired man suddenly ruptured causing the now screaming hunter to be sucked into it.

Twisting her hand in the air as her face turned darker and more vicious, Najia breathed deeply before clenching her fingers… causing the hole she had formed to seal… and crush its contents. Immediately after, screams ensued, as cries rang out that the monster child had summoned a demon to her aid her…

 

Oh, how right they were…

 

Moving her hands outward as the ground bent to her will, the crowd of people were all forced away as she tossed them aside left and right out of anger. This… this was too much. They had to pay this time… SHE HAD TO MAKE THEM ALL PAY FOR THIS! But… she couldn't do it anymore… she just couldn't…

Biting her tongue as it gently bled, Najia panted through her grit teeth before screaming in rage, her bloodcurdling cry petrifying all who heard it. "Damn… damn all of you… You are all the very things, you're calling us! Damn you, you MONSTERS!"

Wrapping a tail around the lifeless child instinctively, the older woman gave one look to the crackling pyre beside her before closing her eyes in remorse. If she had only been a little quicker, perhaps she could have saved the other one. Whoever it was… didn't deserve this.

Leaping off the pike and landing amidst the cleared rumble she had created, the Kitsune gave one last look to the villagers that she had tossed around before throwing the torch she had held, back into the remaining pyre lighting it aflame much like the other one was now.

 

"I hope your village burns like she did…"

 

Disappearing as quick as she came, all present were left in shock and silence as they stared at where the creature had once been. Whatever happened that night… would be something, that would haunt all who remained from this day forward…

And whatever the consequences for their actions brought, they all just prayed, that the Demon who appeared, would never return…

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

Jumping silently through the night as she kept a stoic face to all that she had been cursed to witness, Najia remained mute as she kept her eyes forward, and her emotions in check. It came out again… Her urge… to kill them all…

Clenching her arms tightly around the child she was cradling, the blonde continued on as she held the toddler close. She wanted to know what she had barged into that night… but right now, she had to wait and be patient.

From what she could tell, the child in her arms was in shock… and was unresponsive to her words. But once that wore off… she was going to need comforting, for whatever horrors she had been cursed to witness.

She couldn't do this much longer…

 

These humans…

 

She couldn't do it anymore…

 

And if it wasn't for the motionless girl in her arms, she probably would have ended up going back, and killing every, last, one of them…

 

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

~ Present ~

 

 

Why…

 

Why, did all their past's have to end in pain…

 

 

Sitting in silence as the rippling of the waterfall behind them echoed uncontested, both Abby and Kari sat wordlessly amongst one another as they stared off distantly, tears freely falling down both their cheeks as they sulked together. What a horrible thing to live through… it was bad enough just listening to it being recalled…

Wiping her tears off her cheeks as her breath came out ragged, the shrunken teen felt her heart crying out. She needed to say something… but, what could she even say…? Looking up at the younger witch as her lips quivered, and she continued to sob, the brunette simply shook her head as her hands clenched onto the Hominal's fingers.

"I-I… I'm so, sorry… I'm sorry, for everything that happened to you, Kari. I am…" Her words were meant for comfort's sake. But, it was like Eve said… she couldn't bear the responsibility of her race's actions all on her own. She just hated that this kept happening… especially to all these girls.

But, it did seem like her words had some kind of effect on the dirty blonde. Lifting a shivering hand up towards her face, Kari remained silent as she began wiping down her cheeks as she tried to compose herself. She couldn't keep crying… her body was going to get dehydrated if she did…

Sniffling weakly as she rid herself of the remaining smudges and grease with her dusky cloak, the Hominal's puffy eyes inevitably fell back down on Abby as she met her equally saddened gaze. "Do… D-Do you understand now A-Abby? I'm… I'm evil. It's my fault my m-mommy abandoned me… I didn't listen! And… and now she's gone… and, I keep hurting people…" She whimpered out.

Standing up slowly as she tried to gather her bearings, the teenager was rendered somber by the toddler's words. They were spoken with, conviction… "Kari… you are not, evil! And your mother didn't abandon you." "YES, SHE DID!" Falling back in surprise as she was shrieked at, the brunette felt her heart aching once more as Kari began to wail loudly as she started to cry once more.

"My Mommy abandoned me! A-And, and now Najia tried to abandon me too! And… and you… you're going to abandon me to… E-Everyone leaves me… everyone… because I'm bad…" Kari whimpered, the pain and hurt in her tone more than evident by rippling shudders.

Gazing up at the child mutely, Abby's eyes shifted over to slumbering Kitsune for a moment before they returned to the younger girl disheartened. "Kari… look at me." Clenching her eyes tightly as she tried not to look at the teen, the little witch soon felt her defenses falling away as her fingers were gently touched by the smaller girl.

"Kari, please, look at me." Cracking open her eyes a few centimeters as she peered down at the shrunken human, the younger girl soon felt all fight leave her as she saw the comforting look she was being given in return. Why… why did she always have to look at her like that! She was evil!

Petting the child's hand as she sat down on her fingers, Abby thought about what to say for a moment before nodding her head. This was something similar her master had once said to her as well. "Kari… your mother didn't abandon you. She'll always be with you, even if she isn't here in the present. We take a part of our parents with us wherever we go. It may not seem like it at first… but she's still with you. I promise. Mine are too."

Looking down at Abby in shock, the little witch tried to say something, but the brunette's hand was raised faster than she could speak. "I'm not finished… Najia didn't abandon you either. She was hurt. Probably in order to protect you, all of you. And, she's getting better too. She's not going to abandon you, Kari. She'll make a full recovery. I promise that too."

Crying softly as the smaller girl's words seemingly hit her and broke away her depressing thoughts, the younger girl opened her mouth again, but this time, no words came out. Her voice, she couldn't find it. Seeing the reaction, she had been hoping for, Abby smiled warmly before preparing what she was about to say next. If this didn't drive her point home, then nothing else she could say even mattered.

"You're not evil Kari. You're not a Monster either. You're not a bad person or even a questionable one at that. You're kind, and very sweet too. It doesn't matter what you were born as. Witch, Human, none of that matters. It's what you choose to do in life that defines who you are. No matter what anyone says, what anyone calls you, only you can choose what you want to be. And no one will ever abandon you, because, you're you. You're one of the most caring people I've ever met Kari... and, you're one of the reasons I'm not going to abandon you either. Not you, or any of the others either."

Stiffening as the smaller girl's words reached her ears, Kari's eyes slowly began to widen as she processed what the teenager had just said to her. Looking down at Abby in shock, the younger Hominal's mouth opened and closed, as faint noises croaked out. Did this mean, what she thought it did…?

Smiling brightly as she watched the younger girl trying to understand what she had said, Abby quietly sighed before looking back over to Najia now. "I don't know if she'll let me join you all or not… but, I'm hoping she does. I want to stay here with you Kari. With all of you girls. You've really changed the way I see and feel things. It's hard to believe how much I've felt in the past week. But, I feel like this is the right choice. You don't mind, right?"

Looking back up at the child now, Abby continued to smile as she saw fresh tears peaking out in the corners of the younger Hominal's eyes as they met each other's.  "Y-You're… you're not, leaving us…?" Tightening her hold on the toddler's fingers, he brunette simply nodded.

"No. I'm not going to abandon you. No matter what happens, good, or bad, we'll always be friends. I won't leave you. I know... that I can't replace your mother Kari... I'll never fill her role in your life. No one else ever could. But, I'll do my best to be there for you no matter what, and in any way, I can."

Feeling the younger girl's fingers shifting beneath her, the smaller teen grinned as she fell into the child's hands. Lifting the diminutive human up towards her face, Kari was in tears once more as she stared long and hard at the smaller girl, her fingers cradling her fearfully, almost as if she were going to disappear if she released her hold on her if she did.

 

"P-P-Promise…?"

 

Biting back a laugh as she heard to pleading tone, Abby quietly nodded before moving her hands up to the finger pressed into her midsection. "I promise Kari." Whimpering louder then before, Kari sobbed as she pulled the smaller girl into her chest before cradling her tenderly.

"A-Abby… Please don't leave us…" Hugging her back as she felt her stomach flutter from her words, the brunette pressed her forehead into her before nodding. "I won't. I promised. We'll always be friends." Keeping the smaller teen like this a while longer, Kari soon fell back as she clung onto the shrunken girl, before crying once more.

 

She promised…

 

She was never going to leave them…

 

She wasn't going to be abandoned again…

 

Not this time…

 

 

 

To be continued.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Well, I finnaly got to Kari. :D

I hope I didn't depress anyone. Her story has stuck with me ever since I first introduced her in the first chapter. I hope you don't mind the long chapter. There was just to much I couldn't leave out for her character.

We'll be getting back with the others soon enough.

I'll see you all next time. :)