- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Well... I'm late... :l

 

Sorry for raising everyones hopes I just got caught on a problem that had to be addressed. So... I kind of had to re-write this whole chapter...

Either way, It's back on track again how I want it so I hope you'll enjoy it. I'm sure quite a lot of you will enjoy what you're about to read.

The next chapter shouldn't take as long as this one did but I will make no promises...

So enjoy and tell me what you think. I think this characters been waiting long enough for some backstory, wouldn't you agree?

 

 

“All be damned… You two actually did it? So, she’s…”

 

Trailing off as she pointed towards the sleeping Kitsune, Casey was at a loss for words as she saw both Abby and Kari nodding as they stood over the unconscious woman. “It’s true. We just checked everything. She’ll make a full recovery in about a day, two at the most.” Abby smiled.

Flopping down onto the small stool that sat beside younger Witch’s workbench, the redhead was mute for a moment as a crooked smile found its way to her lips. She knew all along they would do it… but, to just hear them say it felt like a massive weight was being lifted off of all their shoulders.

“Well, I can’t say I’m surprised. But hell, it’s great to hear it comin from the horse’s mouth an all.” The Dullahan chuckled. Smiling back at the older girl, Kari moved over towards the redhead before extending her arms. Giving the toddler a haggard look, Casey sighed before lifting an arm up as well so the little blonde could hug her back.

Here she was trying to be clingy and shit. But, the headless girl didn’t mind too much. This was definitely a cause for celebration. Hugging her friend happily as she clung to her side, the little Witch smiled weakly before looking over her shoulder towards Abby, the smaller human sitting beside the sleeping Kitsune as she watched quietly.

“T-Thank you, Abby… without you, I don’t think Najia would have recovered. I… I don’t think I could have saved her by myself…” The dirty blonde mumbled weakly. Smiling softly, the brunette lifted her head up before shaking it.

“Don’t put yourself down, Kari. You knew what to do when you patched her up the first time. For all we know, I might have not even needed to help you at all. I still don’t know enough about Hominal biology to tell you if she would have recovered with or without me.” The teenager chuckled.

While that wasn’t entirely true, the younger girl was imperative to their patient’s recovery. And besides, she needed a little self-esteem boost. ‘It’s not like I’m the sole reason Najia’s recovering.’ However, instead of her words having a positive effect on the blonde, they seemed to do the opposite…

Watching as the younger child’s face turned guilty, the brunette had to frown. “Kari, what’s wrong?” Blinking quickly as her name was called, the little Witch looked back up at Abby before swiftly shaking her head. “N-N-Nothing! E-Everything’s great actually… We… we should start telling the others the good news…” The younger girl trailed off unnerving the teen thoroughly.

‘Kari…’ She hadn’t noticed it much when they were tending to the bedridden Hominal… but, now it was becoming more and more apparent the blonde was worried about something. ‘Maybe I’m just being paranoid…’ Kari was usually an open book to her. But, that didn’t seem to be the case now. Perhaps, she was still upset about what had happened to her.

Feeling some guilt of her own now for making the younger girl worry about her, the brunette was about to speak up before Casey’s voice broke both of them out of their troubled thoughts. “Hey? What’s with those scowlin looks? I thought we were supposed to be happy and laughin. The hells wrong with the two of ya?” The Dullahan scowled before pulling the startled Witch a little closer into her as she deepened their hug.

“You two just saved us after all. All of us.” Casey remarked, her tone turning serious bringing both girls back to their reality. Looking back over towards Najia was she slept soundly, a small smile soon found its way to both Kari and Abby’s faces before the little Witch nodded.

“I-I guess… we should tell Eve. And after that, we can- Hey?! Casey!” Shoving the little blonde off of her as she soured from the mention of the Vampiress, the redhead sighed before crossing her arms. “We’ll tell everyone eventually but I’m serious! We should celebrate! Actually…” Casey trailed off before her eyes shifted towards the confused teenager.

“Do ya think I could borrow ya for a bit, Abby?” Blinking in confusion, the brunette looked back at her Hominal guardian before glancing over to Kari, the younger girl simple shrugging in just as much uncertainty. She didn’t know what her friend wanted to do. Though, she hardly ever did…

Looking back at the redhead in doubt, the teen eventually sighed before nodding. “I guess. Do you need some Energy to heal up?” She still looked pretty battered after everything that had happened. Blushing faintly, the headless girl smiled weakly as her hands found their way to her back as she stood up.

“N-Not necessarily… N-Not that I’m not sayin I don’t wanna! I… I just have somethin else in mind.” Casey smiled weakly. ‘Is… is she being bashful…?’ This was Casey, right? Shrugging her shoulders, the smaller teen nodded once more. “I guess. What do you want to do?”

Grinning slyly now, the redhead’s former shyness vanished as she moved towards the smaller girl. “Don’t ya worry yer lil head about it. It’ll be… a surprise.” Casey chuckled. Feeling somewhat unnerved by the larger girls words, the brunette sighed inwardly.

‘Great… what did I just get myself into?’ She didn’t know what the Dullahan planned for her, but if it took precedence over her restoring her own Energy, then that had to make her worry. Moving her hands behind her back once more as she cupped her wrists, the younger girl continued to grin before she turned her back to them both.

“I’ll be back shortly. I just need to grab a few things first. Alright?” Furrowing her brow from the strange way the Hominal was suddenly acting, Abby nodded quietly as her eyes darted towards Kari for answers… but, it seemed even she was just as confused by her friend's actions as well from the look on her face.

“S-Sure… How long will you be gone, Casey?” Shrugging her shoulders, the Dullahan grinned before simply walking away, her mind now lost to something else as she left the other two alone to their thoughts…

Staring over where Casey had just been, both Abby and Kari were silent before the former glanced at her younger companion. “So… that was, weird…”  Nodding as well, the little Witch looked back at Abby as she frowned. “I guess she has something planned for the two of you. I wonder what though… She never said anything about it to me…”

Scratching her cheek sheepishly, the brunette soured momentarily as her mind wondered what it was. ‘I have a hunch but…’ It seemed so unlike Casey she was probably wrong. Sighing tiredly, the teenager simply shook her head before smiling back up at the younger girl.

“I guess I’ll just have to wait and see. There’s no point guessing what it is and spoiling her *surprise*.” Abby chuckled. Looking back up at the toddler half-heartedly, the teen soon had to pause as she saw a strange look on the child’s face now.

“Kari?” Standing perfectly still as her eyes focused on the ground in front of her, the little blonde was silent for a moment before her quivering gaze traveled over towards her, a look of uncertainty now present. Something was wrong…

“Kari, you’ve been acting kind of… detached today. Is everything alright? We were talking together fine earlier, but… after checking on Casey you’ve been…” Trailing off as she tried to find the right word, the brunette soon sighed before closing her eyes.

“Just tell me what’s on your mind. Something's bothering you. What is it? And, can I help at all?” She wasn’t going to claim to know everything about the little Witch, hell… she knew more about everyone else… but, that didn’t mean she wasn’t going to do everything she could to put her at ease. She did something recently to cause her to act this way no doubt. Now it was just figuring out a matter of what it was…

‘Kari… there isn’t anything you could tell me that would upset me or make me angry with you.’ She had said that… but even so… was it true? Looking down at Abby silently, the younger girl licked her lips before they parted.

“A-Abby… Do… Do you think, you could forgive someone if they lied to you…?” Furrowing her brow, the teen was mute as she contemplated the question. ‘If someone lies to you?’ Where was this coming from all of a sudden? “I guess… it would just depend on what the person lied about. And, if they did it to hurt someone else I suppose. You… you don’t think I lied to you about something, do you?”

Looking back at Abby with wide eyes, Kari sputtered before waving her hands around. “N-N-NO, I… I DON’T THINK THAT! I DIDN’T MEAN YOU!” She knew Abby wouldn’t lie to her! But… the same couldn’t be said for her…

Staring back at the child as the guilty look returned to her features, Abby quietly nodded. She kind of got it now. “Kari… if there’s something you need to tell me… you can. You can tell me anything… You know that, right? I won’t judge you or be upset with you. I promise. We’re friends after all.”

Choosing her words carefully, Abby was relieved as she saw the faintest of smiles make its way to the younger Witch’s lips before she nodded. However… after a few more moments of silence, once it seemed the younger Hominal was about to speak up again, someone else beat her to it…

 

“Nyaa…”

 

Blinking as the faintest of noises registered in their ears, both Abby and Kari were drawn away from one another and towards the small entryway into the younger Hominal’s chambers. Looking forward in surprise now, Kari was swiftly brought out of her troubled state as she watched Nya quietly crawling into the caverns. She was back!

“NYA! WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?!” She hadn’t seen the Beastial in almost two days! After Ebon came to her chambers and made a mess of the place, she had treated the younger girl before she just vanished! Not to mention when she tried searching the little Neko’s own den she had been vacant there as well. Why was she gone so long!

Running over towards the little brunette, Kari stood over the smaller girl as she looked her over cautiously. She looked, better, but she still had some slight bruising on her face from before. What had she been doing all this time?

“Nya… where were you? I’ve been worried sick!” Lifting her head up tiredly as she heard her friends voice, the Neko purred softly back at the blonde before raising her nose into the air and taking a few long sniffs. Watching as the toddler swung her tail back and forth, Kari’s eyes followed the cats before they both landed back on Abby, the teenager still in a state of surprise as she looked on at the younger child. She hadn’t been filled in until now about what happened to her…

“Nya, you’re alright. I-I’m glad…” Abby smiled. She had been wondering why the brunette hadn’t been sleeping near or around Kari the last couple times she was in here. At least she was safe, albeit, a bit battered from the looks of the frayed bandages around her arms.

Walking past Kari much to the Witch’s surprise now, Abby looked on at the younger Beastial before the Neko moved in front of her, her slanted emerald eyes now focused on what they really wanted. “Hey Nya, it’s good to see you. How are you doing?”

Giving the smaller girl a quiet smile, the Neko continued to purr before withdrawing her head into her own baggy dress. “Nya?” Stepping back over towards Abby as she watched, Kari was silent as well as she looked back at her friend. What was she doing?

Jerking her head around a few times, the kitten soon pulled her face out of her clothes… as something dangled freely from her mouth… Looking at the little Beastial in silence, both Kari and Abby were quiet now as they saw the child swinging what looked like… a piece of string back and forth in the corner of her mouth.

Staring at the bright red ribbon held firmly between the cat girl's lips, the teen was soon at a loss for words. “N-Nya… you found it…” Blinking in confusion, Kari glanced towards the shrunken human now as she saw a look of shock present over the teenager’s face. “Abby, what is it? What does she have in her mouth?” It just looked like some piece of cloth or ribbon. Where did she find it anyways?

It was her mother’s silk ribbon! After Casey had taken her to her own room when they first talked she hadn’t seen it again since. ‘Did it get lost somewhere?’ And, had Nya been looking for it this whole time for her? But… why…?

Staring down at the Neko speechlessly, Abby was at a loss for words. Why did her mother’s memento mean so much to her…? It should have only been special for her for its sentiment. What made this ribbon so special to the little Beastial, to the point where she set out to retrieve it for her a second time…?

Dropping the silken cloth in front of the little human, Nya closed her eyes happily before lowering her head. “Nyaaa!” She really had… hadn’t she? Leaning down to touch the crimson silk, Abby was quiet as she looked it over.

It was slightly dirty, but, intact. She must have been guarding it closely. ‘Just like she was doing when we met again…’ Clutching the ribbon closer as she held it in her arms, a small smile formed on the teen’s lips before she looked down at the little Neko, her head still bowed in front of her for some reason.

“Thank you Nya. It really means a lot that you’ve been taking care of this for me. But… why do you want to protect my mother’s memento so much? That’s what you were doing, right? Why?” Watching as the younger brunette lifted her head up silently, Abby was mute as she saw a look present on the cat girl that wasn’t there before.

She was looking at her… almost, reverently…

 

Why was Nya looking at her like that?

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

~5 months ago~

 

“Nyaaaaaa~”

“Nyaaaaaaaa~”

“Nyaaaaaaaaaa!”

 

Rolling around as her hair was licked repeatedly, the little Neko purred contently as an older woman stroked her tongue down the younger girl’s locks as her arms pinned the smaller Beastial into her, her purrs just as loud as the child’s as they sat with each other.

The woman, however, resembled the little Neko. But, that was obvious. After all, she was one too. Her brown locks were longer then the child’s almost to the point of them being a mane rather than hair. Her eyes as well were similar, verdant yet slanted. And of course, a sharp pair of fangs peeking out in the corners of her mouth and a furry pair of ears protruding from her scalp with a long elegant tail curled around behind her.

It was bathing time for her little kitten, but, that was every few hours usually. She could get messy rather quickly when they played together. Purring contently as the kitten mewed from her grooming, the older woman’s slanted eyes traveled over her as she looked her over for any spots she may have missed before smiling.

“Nyayaya, nyaaya ya.” Rolling off the older woman’s lap as she laid on her back, the younger girl smiled up at the older brunette as she exposed her stomach to her. Smiling softly, the woman moved her front hand forward before resting it gently on her kitten’s belly before rubbing it back and forth gently.

“Nyaaaaaaa!”

She was going to get dirty again if she kept rolling in the dirt like that. Withdrawing her hand and nudging the child with her head, the woman soon stood on all fours before walking off, Nya soon mimicking the woman, albeit clumsily before following along after her, her eyes darting back and forth as she watched her mother’s tail taunting her.

Feeling her furry appendage being batted at as they walked, the dark-haired Nekojin purred softly as they moved towards the border of a small human settlement. It was one of the few that they had encountered when they traveled, but this was a good place.

It had lots of food for them to find and the humans here didn’t always attack them. The worst she could remember was being hit with some kind of bush on a long stick once by some older woman, but that hadn’t been too bad. They liked it here. And, it was a safe place to raise her kitten. The woods surrounding it were much more dangerous, especially come nightfall…

Moving to the side of the wooden fence that surrounded the borders of the town, the Neko looked around for her usual spot before her slanted eyes lit up upon seeing the hole they regularly used. Moving to one side and flicking her tail towards the other to guide her kitten, the older Neko laid on her belly before crawling her way under, Nya soon following behind her obediently. This wasn’t the first time they got in this way.

The front open area where the humans went in and out wouldn’t let them in for some reason… Some Humans were mean like that but most of these ones were indifferent if they got caught. Usually, they were just chased off and shouted at. Prowling down the alleyway behind the two buildings they had snuck behind, the older of the two looked around for a moment before her eyes lit up.

It was there! She didn’t know why but these Human’s always set out bottles near the front of their buildings. Sometimes they were empty but other times they had cream in them, Like today! Looking back at her daughter cautiously, the older of the two growled softly causing the younger one to sit down expectantly.

Nodding, the brunette stalked over towards the building before peering out, her eyes darting back and forth as she looked for any humans. Thankfully it didn’t seem any were there. Walking at a snail’s pace as she made her way towards the free meal, the Beastial moved her clawed digits out before retreating in a matter of seconds.

Tucking the bottle into her chest as she kicked off the ground and jumped back over to her daughter, the older Neko smiled before showing the white liquid to her kitten, her eyes lighting up in excitement as she looked back at it. It was food!

These humans were good ones. Leaving food out for them like that was unlike them but they didn’t care. It was time to eat! Pulling on the annoying metal thing that kept it closed for some reason, the cat woman grunted before the cap snapped off causing its contents to spill onto the ground.

“NYAAA!”

Nodding her head, both Nekos smiled before leaning their heads down to lap at the pale liquid in pleasure. It was rich today. Just how they liked it~! As they continued to drink the creamy substance, however, a loud banging echoed out where the older Beastial had just been before an angry cry rang out.

Lifting her head up as her daughter continued to drink from the plentiful pool, the Beastial furrowed her brow as she listened to what sounded like a man speaking. “Monster! Stolen! Dead! Demon cat!” Turning her head sideways as she listened to the familiar words she often heard humans speaking as they argued, the older Neko’s tail rose up drawing her daughter’s attention back to her.

Whenever she heard one of those words it meant it was time to go. The Humans often said them before they were attacked. Whining as she looked down at the small pool of cream that remained, the older of the two moved behind the younger brunette before biting down on the back of her neck and tugging her along.

Whimpering as she was forced to leave her meal, Nya walked alongside her mother as they made their way back towards their small crawl hole… before they both stopped dead in their tracks. Growling deeply as it echoed from her throat, the older woman began to back away as they retreated back into the alley they had been hiding in.

Two humans carrying pointy sticks were by the hole while another covered it back up. Whenever they had those four-pronged sticks they usually tried to hurt them. They needed to find another way out. “Nyaya! Nyaa ya yanya!” Lifting her head up timidly, the little Neko tried to peek her own head out before the back of her neck was tugged to stop her.

“Nyaya!” Whimpering again before her stomach growled, the kitten followed behind her older woman as they began to stalk away. Finding a way out was their priority. They could come back for food again later when these Humans weren’t in a bad mood. Today looked like they might attack them…

Walking behind different houses that were lined side by side, the Beastials paused as they saw a small clearing up ahead. It looked like a field of some kind with long stalks. Perhaps they could hide there for a while. Either that or use it for cover till those humans who were covering their hole left so she could dig it out again.

“Nyayaaa yaya…” Nodding obediently, the little kitten lifted her head like her mother had taught her as she peered around before sprinting over into the field. Diving into the long stalks of brush, the brunette poked her head out briefly as she looked back at the older Nekojin, but she didn’t need to wait long.

Sprinting across at a pace much faster than her daughter had used, the Neko dived into the brush as she crawled on all fours. Sniffing the air repeatedly as they laid down in silence, the older of the two eventually nodded before raising first to observe their hiding spot.

It was a field of some kind and this looked like some of the stuff the humans gave other humans for things. They probably made it here. It would be a safe place to stay for a short time. It wasn’t very early yet so they could get away with waiting for a couple hours till some less scary humans came out.

Curling up on the ground and moving her arm out, the brunette jerked her head before Nya came over to her quickly. Cuddling into the older woman, the kitten burrowed her head into her mother’s chest before a protective arm was gently draped over her.

 

They would get out of here soon, so now was as good a time for a nap as any. They needed to conserve their energy… the meal they were having before didn’t give them very much…

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

‘Sniff… sniff, sniff…’

 

Food?

 

Lifting her head up sleepily as a pleasant aroma wavered over to her, Nya leaned up tiredly before yawning. Sprawling out on the ground as she stretched her spine out, the little Neko looked down at her mother curiously as she saw the older Beastial still soundly sleeping.

Poking her head above the large stalks that still surrounded them, the auburn-haired kitten looked around curiously as she tried to figure out, what smelled so good… Glancing back and forth, the younger girl didn’t need to wonder very long as she saw a wooden box next to the field they were by.

It was big and had animals attached to it. It was hard to remember correctly but she had seen Humans riding inside them before. But, it didn’t look like any humans were in it now. But, there was something in there that smelled good.

Retracting her head and peeking down at her mother, the kitten purred softly before nudging the older woman with her forehead. But, it didn’t look like she was ready to wake up yet. Nudging the younger girl away, the older Beastial continued to nap in silence as she ignored the repeated pokes from the smaller girl.

Pouting in annoyance, Nya soon whimpered as her stomach let out a soft gurgle. She still hadn’t eaten much today. And yesterday hadn’t been that good for that matter either. She had to get something to eat or else her tummy would never stop!

Looking back over the brush at the cart once more as she observed it, the little Neko licked her lips before stalking on the ground towards it. What the older cat didn’t know wouldn’t hurt her. Or, perhaps she could bring her something to eat this time instead!

Beaming cheerfully, Nya’s head soon exited the large stalks as her ears listened intently. She could hear people. It sounded like a couple of Humans were on the front of the box but no one was back where the open part was.

Grinning cheekily, the little Neko lowered her tail to the ground before crawling over as her ears twitched from left to right. She wouldn’t be caught off guard… this time. Popping her head up as she looked into the back of the wooden contraption, the little Neko’s eyes lit up in glee as she saw it.

A bunch of food was in here! It looked like there was a bunch of that tough meat the humans ate, some weird plants and even some more of the yummy white cream! Running towards the meat since it was already opened, and what first caught her attention, Nya wasted no time at all as she began tugging pieces out to eat.

Gnawing on the dried morsels, the little Neko purred in bliss as she ate. The human's made meat taste much better than the stuff they caught themselves. It was usually watery and sometimes gooey. This was much more appealing!

Eating a couple more pieces quickly, the little Kitten grabbed a few more in her mouth before turning around. She had to be quick before the humans noticed-. Blinking in surprise as the opening where she had just been closed behind her partially, the Neko’s ears perked up before she ducked behind the crate she had been hovering over. Someone was here!

Closing the back gate to the carriage, a middle-aged man looked over the contents of the cart before giving it a loud smack. “You’re all set lad. We’ll see ya next week with yer supplies. Make sure to bring some of this seasons’ apples. Ya didn’t have any this time. Lord knows how some of the lass’ want’um.” He chuckled.

Waving back to the farmer behind him, the first of the two men on the cart lifted the reins he had been holding up before snapping them causing the horses on the other end to begin walking off. They had a deadline to make. This was only the second of the seven stops they had to make for this week.

Cowering as she felt the wooden floor beneath her vibrate, Nya’s eyes began to bead as she poked her head out to look around. What was going on! Ignoring her fear, the toddler moved towards the back of the carriage before rising up on two legs as she tried to peek over the large side.

Paling as she saw the town she and her mother had been in shrinking into the distance, the little Beastials mouth opened before she grit her teeth.

 

“NYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!”

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 

 

 

Looking over the various goods he had received as per their usual trades, the middle-aged farmer checked each of the items as he took stock, making sure everyone got the right amount needed for their stalls. With Winter coming up it was a good time to start stocking up. Hopefully, they would make enough this year to-

“NYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!”

 

Looking back towards where the trader's carriage had been before, the older man furrowed his brow before hearing a low growling noise echo out behind him. Paling from the otherworldly sound, the farmer mustered up the courage to look behind him… right as something passed over his head…?

Landing on all fours as her tail raised in the air defensively, the older Nekojin glared towards where she had heard her daughter’s call before taking off in a sprint. WHERE WAS HER KITTEN! Running at a quickened pace as she saw a small cart before her, the Beastial focused intently on it before her eyes widened.

SHE WAS IN THE CART! Looking back as she saw her daughters head peeking out slightly, the older Neko yowled in rage before sprinting towards it faster. SHE WAS HER DAUGHTER, THEY COULDN’T TAKE HER! Falling back on her butt as her hind legs gave out under her, Nya whimpered before a loud scream rang out on the other side of the wooden crate.

IT WAS HER MOTHER! “NYAAAA! NYAAAAAA! NYAAAAAAAAA!” “What the hell was that?!” Stiffening, the child paled before looking behind her. Humans… Pulling the small cloth that covered the other side of the carriage away, the merchant's partner looked into the back of their cart before scowling.

“The hell was that ya heard it to right? I’m tellin ya, there was somethin!” Ignoring his friend as he focused on the horses, the other merchant tried to shrug the strange noise they had heard prior off before jumping as something banged into the back of their carriage.

“What in the hell… Hey, take a look back, is something there?” Scowling the second merchant grabbed the side of the cart for balance before leaning out to look behind them… before all the blood in his face drained. “M-Monster… T-T-There’s a damned beast tailing us!”

“What?!” Jumping as something banged into the cart again, both men began to sweat as they fully realized what it was now. A Monster was attacking them now all of a sudden?! What was going on! They hadn’t had an attack in the past couple months so why was one happening now before winter of all times?!

Matching the carts pace as she glared at the wooden carriage, the older Neko growled before leaping forward and banging her body into the cart. She had to get her daughter out! “NYAYAYA! NYAYA!” Hissing as she called out for her daughter, the little Neko’s furry ears popped over the side briefly as she whimpered something out before they vanished! WHAT WERE THEY DOING TO HER DAUGHTER!

“NYAAYAAAA!” Kicking off the ground harder, the older Beastial soon reached the base of the cart before leaping off the ground and impacting the cart once again… only this time, she stuck to it. Digging her daggerlike nails into the wood as she clung to it, the brunette looked over the side before her eyes softened upon seeing her kitten’s crying face.

 

“NYAAAAAAAAAAA!” “NYAYAYAAA!”

Raising herself up on her hind legs again as she tried to reach her mother, the little Neko’s continued to cry as she saw the older woman's panicked face. She wanted to be back with her! She didn’t care about any of this food anymore she wanted out!

Growling in anger, the cat woman yanked out one of her hands before slashing viciously at the wood as she began to shred it. She’d break it apart if she had to! “GET OFF OF US YA MONSTER!” Lifting her head up angrily, the older woman soon ducked as something shot past her head.

Glaring back at the Human who held aimed some kind of weapon at her, the Beastial didn’t pay him much mind as she went back to work slashing apart the door. Stabbing her nails into the front and ripping out a chunk, the Nekojin yowled once again as she saw her Daughter still cowering on the floorboards.

“Nyayaya! Nyaa nyaaya-“

Feeling her eyes bead as her nails came off, the woman only had seconds to process what had happened before she fell to the ground in pain, and… off the cart. “NYAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!” Crying out for her mother to come back, Nya scream loudly as she began to bang from the inside of the carriage. Where was her mother! Where did she go?!

Sighing with relief as he lowered his crossbow, the younger merchant scowled as he saw the Monster he had hit slowly crawling to its feet in the distance. He only hit it in the shoulder, but thankfully it was enough to rattle it off their cart.

Hopefully, the damage hadn’t been too extensive… It could cost them a lot to have to fix their cart right before a seasons end. “Did ya get it?” “Ya, I got it. The damned thing shouldn’t be comin back. But even so, we best skip the next village and circle back. Who knows how long that thing’ll be lurkin. Damned Monsters…”

Nodding to his companion, the other man crawled back into his spot before sighing. Why did that thing attack them so suddenly? It just seemed so random… But, it probably wouldn’t try it again. Not after getting wounded. If they were lucky though, hopefully, the hit had been fatal. The last thing they needed was any more Monster attacks…

They would just need to skip Monkstown and head straight for Darrowford instead. It was only half a day’s journey difference… but even so, their lives were more important than their deadlines…

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

Parking their cart in the back entrance of the village, both merchants hoped off before walking around each side of their carriage to inspect it. Thankfully it didn’t look like there was to much damage to the sides… but, the same couldn’t be said for the door on the back. It was almost completely torn off! Jagged chunks were missing and everything!

“Damn it… Lowsy Monster... Do ya know if there’s a wood smith in this town?” Shaking his head sadly, the other merchant sighed before unlatching what remained of the door from the side of the cart. “Hell if I know. Let's ask around after we deliver their quot-.”

Crying out as the door slammed open once it was unlatched, both men backed up in surprise as something tumbled out from the inside of their cart! What in gods name was that! Lifting her head up groggily as a faint trail of blood dribbled down her forehead where she had been banging it the past few hours, Nya’s eyes blurred briefly as she began to look for her mother.

“N-Nyaa… nya… N-NYAAAAAAAAAA!”

“Another one?! What the hell was that damned thing doin in the cart?!” “Ya mean… w-we were ridin with that… thing, this whole time!” Looking behind her in confusion as she saw two humans who look equally perplexed, the little Neko didn’t give them long to think before she took off in a sprint.

“NYAAAAA! NYAAAAAAAAA! NYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!”

 

Where was her mother? Why wasn’t she calling out to her? Why couldn’t she smell her? Why couldn’t she see her! why was she not here!!! Screaming for her over and over, the little Neko soon drew a small crowd before coming to a standstill in front of a small cluster of humans.

“Cat… Monster… Kill…”

Backing up defensively as she saw some bigger Humans stepping forward, the Neko Yowled angrily before crying out as she was kicked. Flying back a few feet as the wind was knocked out of her, the Beastial whined as tears streamed from her eyes.

“N-Nyaaaaaa…” Why… was has her mother gone? Seeing the man who had kicked her along with a couple others getting closer, the little Neko whimpered before standing up… only to run away. She couldn’t do anything about these Humans without her Mother. They were strong… and she wasn’t…

 

“Kill… kill… kill…”

 

What did this word mean? And why did they all keep saying it? It didn’t matter… she had to hide until her mother could find her. How long could it take? Whenever she got lost in the woods her mother always found her in no time…

This would be no different.

She would come for her…

She would…

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

~ One month later ~

 

Hunger… it hurt… everything hurt…

 

Lying on her side inside of a discarded box she had found for shelter, Nya was motionless as she continued to wait. Her Mother hadn’t come yet. She hadn’t so much as smelled her scent in weeks… and… she was beginning to forget what she smelled like…

Tugging the light brown cloth over her naked form for warmth, the little Beastial whimpered. She missed her Mother's warm arms. They always cradled her and kept her comfy. This was dark… and wet… and her fur was a mess. She needed a bath…

“Nyaaa…” Her calls were weak… her mother would never hear her like that… She needed, food… But… there was none. None of these bins had any, nor did the boxes. And the Humans… they wouldn’t let her have any. She didn’t have the strength to fight for it either.

Cupping her tummy as she gently felt her bones through her skin, the toddler began to cry softly. “N-Nyaa… nya… nyaaa…” She just wanted to see her Mother again… she missed her so much.

 

“Is someone hurt?”

 

A voice? It sounded nice. “Nyaa…” It wasn’t her Mother’s though… Cracking her eyes open as the front of her shelter was pulled aside, Nya looked up weakly as she saw… a Human… staring back at her. Watching as the girl reached towards her, images of them kicking her echoed in her mind before she hissed angrily.

“NYA! NYAAA!” She didn’t want trouble! She just wanted her Mother! Why did they keep attacking her! “Y-You’re hungry… aren’t you?” Was, she asking her something? It was clearer than the other humans… Eyeing the stranger in confusion, Nya stiffened as something was presented to her.

Twitching her nose as she sniffed a nostalgic aroma, the little Neko lifted her head weakly as her mouth began to water, and her stomach began to growl. It… it was food. W-Was this for her…? But, this was a Human…

“H-Here, I’m not going to hurt you. Just take it alright? I can tell you’re hungry.” Her voice… it sounded, beautiful. Looking up at the woman who looked younger than most of the other Human’s she had seen, Nya was silent as she etched in her visage into her mind.

She looked cute and kind. Her face was clear, and her eyes were teal. And her hair was the same color as her Mothers. Feeling an immediate connection to the stranger before her, Nya looked down weakly before the food was waved in front of her face again.

“I won’t do anything to you. Please, just eat it.” It was for her… She had brought her food… She… was feeding her… Leaning her head forward cautiously, almost as if this were a mistake in the making, Nya closed her eyes before taking a bite of whatever it was presented to her… before taking another… and more after that.

IT TASTED DELICIOUS! Scarfing down mouthfuls of the bread as she tasted a creamy taste alongside it, the little Neko sobbed and sniffled as she ate. She was a kind Human… those existed? She had never met one who tried to feed her before. She liked her…

Licking the crumbs off of the girl's hand as she tried to lap up any of the milk she had missed, Nya smiled weakly before looking back up at the pretty Human. Would… would she protect her? Would she look after her until her mother came? Would, she be her friend…?

“S-Stop, that tickles!” Smiling as she heard the younger Human’s laughter, Nya leaned up before inching forward as she ignored her fatigue. “Nya!” However… as she crawled fully out of her makeshift shelter, the little Neko paused as she saw a different look pass over the strangers face.

She looked… scared. “Nya? Nyaa! Nyaaa!” Why wasn’t she saying anything? What was wrong? “M-Monster… Y-Y-You’re a Monster…?” Monster… she recognized that word. Those mean Human’s used to say it a lot when they saw her and her Mother… Did… Did she mean her…?

“S-STAY BACK! G-G-GET AWAY FROM ME!” Jumping back a bit from the tone the girl now took with her, a fretful expression filled the little Beastial. Her new friend was upset! “N-Nya, nyaa! Nya!” She wasn’t a… Monster? Whatever that was. Why was the pretty Human scared of her now!

Clinging to the older girls arm tearfully, the brunette soon jerked her arm away before running off, leaving a very alone, and a very confused Neko lying where she had landed. Sitting motionless on the ground as her eyes beaded, the toddler soon began to whimper before looking down at the small piece of fabric that came from the stranger.

It looked pretty, like her. She would probably want it back… She would give it to her! Then they could be friends again! Picking up the long red ribbon with her lips, the child was careful not to rip it with her fangs as she sat down on all fours and waited. The girl would be back… she had to come back.

 

And she would be waiting to give it back to her!

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

Stepping through the streets she found herself in, Najia was silent as she took stock of what to pick up. She had made a small list but along with her children, it grew as well. ‘Kari needed herbs, and you wanted some new fabrics, Eve. Casey wanted a black thread for her stitches, and Brook needed some spices for our dinner. Poppy wanted me to make her some more sake as well, and Ebon wanted more metals for Ivy…’

Surprisingly this was a shorter list than most days… As the Kitsune paced down the vacant streets of the dreary town, the blonde had to pause as she felt a faint pulse startling her thoroughly. “Here?” But, this was in the middle of nowhere… Then again so was the rest of them…

Moving between two buildings as she looked into a grimy alleyway, the older woman was silent as she saw her. Kneeling down on the ground over an unconscious Neko, Najia was at a loss for words. ‘How did this poor thing get here?’

She looked like she was on death's door… Moving her hand over to her abdomen, a faint pulsing light shimmered from beneath her yellow robes before she moved her radiating palm back down onto the passed out girl.

“Rest little one. I’ll take care of you from now on.” Smiling as she saw the child's ear faintly twitch, Najia pulled the limp girl into her arms before frowning. What was between her lips? It looked like some kind of red string.

Moving her hand closest to her face down to pull it off of her, the Kitsune soon paused as she saw the sleeping child… now awake… “Grrr…” Did, she just growl? Moving her hand away from her face, Nya soon closed her cracked open eyes before falling back asleep.

It seemed… so sudden. Looking down at the ribbon she tightly held between her lips, Najia nodded before walking away with her. If she wanted to keep it then she was in no position to take it from her. It was her treasure no doubt. Though, for what reason, she didn’t know.

 

Perhaps the child could tell her once she awoke. That is if she was intelligent enough to do it. For all she knew, the poor girl might have succumbed to her hunger an be feral or just attack her.

 

But, she would be ready for whatever the case.

 

It couldn’t be worse then what had happened with Enya after all.

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

Holding onto her mother’s Ribbon as she clung to it tightly, Abby was silent as she saw an all too pleased look present over the Neko’s features. ‘Nya…’ Smiling softly back at the kitten as she swung her tail back and forth, the brunette was silent as she looked back down at her memento.

“Thank you Nya. I’m glad you care for this as much as I do. I can tell you took really good care of it for me.” Nodding happily, the toddler sat perched her hands up on the bed stand beside Abby before leaning forward and giving the smaller girl a long lick.

Cringing as she smiled, Abby chuckled before pushing the Beastial back. “A-Alright, Nya, that’s enough! Stop it!” She laughed. Petting the toddler’s cheek as she purred above her, Abby was silent for a moment before looking back over to the ribbon.

She probably cared for this as much as her. Perhaps, she could do this for her in return since she cares so much about it. Smiling softly, the teen soon looked to Kari as she waved the little Witch over to her. “Hey Kari, can you do something for me?” Stepping over towards the both of them, the little blonde nodded as she looked back at the smaller human.

“What is it, Abby?” Moving her ribbon towards her, the smaller girl simply grinned. “Put it over her neck please.” Looking down at the both of them confused, the child soon nodded before doing as she was told. Looking down at the smaller girl as she went beneath her chin, Nya tried to look down before the teenager pushed her chin back up.

“Hold on Nya, just give me a second!” Blinking obediently, the larger girl held still as she felt Abby doing something to her. She could feel something rubbing against her neck. Grabbing both ends of her ribbon as she maneuvered the larger fabric around, the brunette soon paused to look at her work before nodding.

‘Kind of lopsided but I don’t think she’ll mind.’ “Alright Nya, you can take a look now!” Abby called out before ducking out from under the Neko. Tilting her head down and looking around, the cat girl said nothing as she moved her hand up to her neck. Something was around her throat.

Touching it a few times, the toddler beamed before sprinting away from both girls as she looked into the large pool of water beside them. She was wearing it! Mewing loudly as she saw her own reflection, Nya purred louder than before as she gently batted the red lassy ribbon now tied into a bow around her neck. Did she want her to have it?!

Looking back over at Abby expectantly, the little Neko bolted over towards her again before beaming. “NYAAA?! NYA, NYA!” “She’s asking if it's hers…” Kari mumbled as she looked down at her friend. Nodding in affirmation, Abby soon fell backward’s in laughter as the Neko’s tongue began to bathe her once more.

“N-N-NYA! I-ITS FINE, S-STOP!” Why did she always have to groom her! Giggling as she pet the excited kitten, Abby was silent for a moment before wrapping her arms around her. “I want you to have it Nya. This ribbon is the only thing I have left after my house burned down. Its… it’s the only thing I had left of her. You’ll keep it safe for me, right?”

Pulling her face back so she could look at her again, Nya mewed quietly before bowing her head. “Nya.” “Yes.” Nodding, Abby smiled back at the younger girl before frowning as she saw her fall onto her back. “Nya? Whats wrong?”

Looking down at the little Beastial together, both Abby and Kari were surprised now as they watched her stretch herself out before pulling up her small shirt to reveal her belly. What was she doing? “N-Nya?! A-Are you really doing what I think you’re doing…?”

Looking back at the younger Witch confused, the brunette soon scowled. “What? What is she doing?” Why was she showing her stomach to her? Fidgeting as a small blush entered her cheeks, Kari looked back down at Abby before squatting down.

“U-Umm… she… she wants you to pet her belly. A Beastial does this… to show loyalty to their owner. It means she trusts you. Trusts you enough to touch her weak spot…” The blonde murmured. She had never done this for either her or for Najia…

Standing in silence for a moment, the teen scowled once more before shaking her head. “D-Did you say, owner…? K-Kari, I’m not her owner… I’m just… her friend…” Shaking her head as she tried to explain their dynamic, the younger girl soon frowned as well.

“She doesn’t see you that way. If a Beastial does this it’s only to one person. Their alpha… She thinks you’re hers. Abby… this is an honor. From what I’ve asked Najia, she says Beastial never show their loyalty to human's and reserve it for their mates usually. I know she doesn’t see you as that but she still wants you to touch her. I… I don’t think you can refuse. This isn’t something she would forget if you reject her…” Kari muttered with worry.

Nya was a very shy girl. If Abby didn’t reciprocate this… then she might vanish again… possibly for good… Feeling a strange heavyweight thrust upon her shoulders all of a sudden, the brunette frowned before shaking her head again.

‘H-Her owner… Nya…’ Looking into the kitten’s emerald eyes as she continued to smile up at her, the teen soon sighed before stepping towards the edge of the nightstand. “Kari… p-put me on her stomach please…” Nodding weakly, the little witch did as she was told before setting Abby down on the younger girl’s belly.

Standing on the squishy ground she had grown somewhat accustomed to due to Poppy, the teenager was silent before kneeling down. “Nya… I’m not your owner. I don’t see you… as some kind of a pet. I don’t. But, I still see you as a close friend. And I’ll always be your friend. Thank you for trusting me. It does mean a lot to me.” Abby whispered softly before gently stroking her hand along the younger girl’s tummy.

“Nyaaaaa~.” Smiling quietly as she heard the pleasant sounds echoing out of the little Beastial, Abby looked back up at Kari as the Witch stood a bit off to the side. “That goes for all of you.” Blushing faintly at her words, the little blonde nodded as she saw a warm smile on the teenagers face.

‘Abby…’ She wanted to think that would stay true… but then again… would she? “A-Abby…?” Looking up from the mewing kitten she was still petting, the teenager nodded as she saw a trouble look present on the child’s face. It was that same guilty look from before.

“What is it, Kari?” Staring down at Abby silently as seconds ticked by, the little Hominal was mute before she eventually turned away. “I-I-I hear Casey coming back…” Furrowing her brow, the smaller girl frowned, but… she didn’t get long to ponder the Witch’s actions. Her words rang true after all, as the redhead soon entered the Witch's chambers once more.

“Alright, I’m back. I got everythin we’ll need and… why the hell are ya sittin on the cat’s stomach?” Blushing as she saw her Dullahan guardian making her way over toward's her, Abby stopped what she had been doing prior as she saw the puzzled look the younger girl wore.

“I… it's complicated. So you got everything you needed? So what now?” Moving a small basket behind her back, Casey grinned before shaking her head. “That is for me to know and you’ll find out when I say so!” She snapped playfully.

Nodding quietly, Abby nodded before moving to the side of the contently napping Nya as she slid down her stomach. She really liked being pet it seemed. Hopefully, when she grew back she could pet her regularly. She’d probably enjoy that a lot.

“Alright, I guess we can go whenever you want to than Casey. Kari… is there anything you want to tell me before we do?” Feeling both girls eyes shift towards her now, the dirty blonde withdrew a bit before shaking her head.

 

“No…”

 

Watching the strange interaction, Casey soon frowned before moving towards the smaller brunette. Picking Abby up gently, the older Hominal looked back over her shoulder as she glanced Kari’s way, the little Witch having turned abruptly silent after their prior words.

“Go ahead and tell the others the good news while we’re away Kari. It’ll be a lil before we get back.” Casey a small smile before giving the toddler a halfhearted wave as she picked up her pace. She didn’t know what that was about but she’d ask once they got back. Right now she didn’t want to ruin the mood. She had something fun planned for her Abby… at least; she hoped it was fun…

Nodding silently as she saw her closest friend leaving with her newest friend, the younger girl said nothing as she was left alone in her own caverns. Staring off towards where Casey and Abby had just been, the dirty blonde was mute as she walked over towards Najia’s cot before kneeling down in front of her. As her eyes lingered on the Kitsune, however, a faint pair of tears began to peek out in the corner of her eyes.

 

“D-Do you think… she’ll hate me if I tell her the truth Najia…? I… I really want to. But… I’m scared…”

 

Whimpering softly as she cupped the sleeping woman’s hand in her own, the little Witch sat in silence as she lamented her troubles to the only person she could ever tell them to. But, if Najia were awake right now… she doubted she could still say these things.

 

Because then even she might hate her to…

 

 

To be continued.

Chapter End Notes:

 

A bit of a twist with Nya coming back into the picture but I had her story set in mind since the very first chapter. But, I had to delay it substantially due to the pace of the story. But, This was the right time for me to flush her out.

More will come with Kari and Abby, soon enough.

As always review and tell me what you think, I'm eager to know since this was one of the earliest requested character backstories I received.

I'll see you all soon~

Bye for now 

:D