- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

Welcome back everyone. I'm sorry to be away for so long again. This chapter was much longer then I expected it to be. I had to write and scrap lots of different idea's and outcomes... and cry... but, I think I finnaly found the combination I wanted for this chapter.

 

So I won't prattle on to much. I just want to say thank you again to everyone who reviews and reads my work. It means the world to me and I feel like I don't say that enough.

 

Thank you, for sticking with me for so long. :)

Enjoy

 

 

“Okay… How, about… Brook?”

 

Watching in amusement as she sat on Yu’s lap, Abby smiled in silence as she watched the little Doppelganger tearing open a small gateway to the Mermaid’s caverns. As they peered through the small hole she made, the brunette had to stifle a laugh as she saw the younger Hominal splashing on top of her middle pool as she tried to do… whatever the hell it was she was doing. ‘Is she trying to walk on the water?’ But, she has fins!

Snickering softly, the raven-haired girl quickly closed her gate as she saw the younger girl turning her head. She had found out that Yu didn’t like being seen by the others. But, it wasn’t fully revealed to her as to why… yet. “So you can really see anyone in the caves with your magic?”

Nodding cheerfully, Yu moved her newly healed arms forward before forming a new portal for them to look through. This time, however, it appeared to be the front of the caves near the entrance… with a sleeping Oni passed out against their corner of the rocks they used to block the door to their cave.

‘I really shouldn’t be surprised…’ Abby scowled. She was probably passed out drunk like this more then she cared to imagine. Closing the gate once more, Yu moved her hand down beside her before scribbling into the dirt as her means of communicating.

‘Anyone else?’ Humming thoughtfully from the offer, the shrunken teen wondered if she wanted to check up on Kari again, but, she had been pretty oblivious to their spying before. ‘She’s probably still at her workbench making medicines…’ The little blonde needed a break sometime soon or else she’d burn herself out again.

Feeling a tugging inside her, Abby soon frowned before looking up at the Doppelganger with hope. “H-How about Casey… C-Can you see her yet?” Growing sorrowful, Yu closed her eyes as she reached one of her hands into the wall… before withdrawing it in sadness.

Sighing as the Hominal shook her head, Abby nodded. She had got into this little peeking session when she inquired about the redhead… but, Yu couldn’t find her… or the twins… or even Eve… Did she not know where they were… or, did she just not want her to see something bad…

‘Ebon…’ Thinking about what the little Dragon might have done, a calming hand was soon draped over her by the noirette bringing a small smile to her face. “I’m fine Yu… I’m just worried about the others. I can’t contact Eve… She’s not responding. Is… it wrong to think the worst…?” Abby mumbled before looking up into the Doppel’s eyes.

Shaking her head, Yu smiled warmly before moving her hand back down to the dirt beside her. ‘Vampire is strong. She’ll take care of Dragon.’ Yeah… but hopefully not for good. Once she found out that Ebon attacked them she was going to be pissed off for sure…

Leaning into Yu’s hands as she was gently cradled, Abby closed her eyes before yawning tiredly. She still felt drained from her earlier activities with the larger girl. Hopefully, it would wear off soon. She wanted to go back and check on the others… but it was kind of moot until Yu could locate Eve’s ware bouts.

‘Eve… where are you?’ No answer, again. Was she still in her trance… or, did something happen to her as well. She had really ticked off the fire-breathing toddler with her last remark towards her. ‘I wonder why she hates being called Ebony so much…’ It had to hold some kind of meaning towards her. Maybe Eve could tell her next time she saw her…

Looking back up at Yu in silence, Abby soon smiled as she saw the glowing eyes of the Doppelganger staring back at her affectionately. “Can you keep me posted if you catch sight of Eve or Casey Yu?” Closing her eyes and nodding cheerfully, the raven-haired child moved her hand back towards the wall before rooting around inside of it as they sat back.

It seemed she had some type of visionary capabilities. It was kind of fascinating really. She didn’t even know how the younger girl was searching around the way she was. “Hey Yu, how are you doing that? Looking for the other’s I mean?” Pausing her movements, the Doppelganger pulled her hand out from the wall momentarily before moving over to the ground instead.

Watching as the child scribbled on the ground, Abby’s eyes widened. ‘Shadows are eyes…’ Did she mean she could see out of any shadow?! They were inside a cave! “S-So… anywhere your shadows touch… you can see?” Nodding her head briefly, Yu paused before scowling herself and shaking it instead.

Erasing her words and writing something new again, the brunette continued to read it as the Hominal tried to explain it better to her. ‘Every shadow's a door. Every door I can see through. All shadows I can go through.’ What type of power was this…? It sounded almost, omniscient…

‘So I guess that’s how she knew so much about me…’ If any shadow could act as a window to her then that meant literally every square inch of these caves were known to her. Though, that begged the question as to why she couldn’t find Eve then.

“Are there limitations to your ability Yu? Shouldn’t finding Eve or Casey be as easy as it is with the others?” Shaking her head solemnly, the Doppelganger moved her hand over towards the wall before it faded to black and entered it once more.

 Watching in silence as the child opened a small hole for them to see through; Abby frowned now as she saw a corridor that was brightly lit. ‘Are those candles?’ As far as she knew only Eve used them. The rest of the girls had some other means of lighting, be it Kari’s glowing fungi or magic, glowing… water.

Tugging on the hole towards the light, however, Abby soon realized something. The child couldn’t move it any closer… almost like there was a barrier of some kind preventing her from doing it. As she tugged it away from the light however the portal moved with ease.

‘It can’t go into the light…’ Looking up at Yu as she withdrew her hand now, Abby quietly nodded. “So… Eve’s near some kind of light, right? That’s why you can’t find her? Because you can’t open up windows in brighter areas?” Spelling out the question with multiple questions just to make sure she had it all right, she was soon rewarded by the Doppelganger as she nodded.

‘Fascinating indeed.’ This was something new to file for later. It made, sense. There were shadows reflected off of light but unless the shadows were present themselves she couldn’t use them even when the light cast shadows for her to see through.

Feeling her brain beginning to hurt as she tried to analyze it, the brunette let out a quiet sigh before massaging her temple. ‘You girls are to strange for me to figure out…’ While she was on the topic of all seeing shadows she might as well look into headless girls, living water, or being able to move two-ton boulders with your four-foot body…

Smirking mirthfully, the teenager leaned into Yu as she used her as a bed. She wasn’t cut out for trying to analyze stuff like that. She could probably just chalk it all up to magic in the end… but, a part of her refused to do that. But, it was as Casey said. Human logic didn’t apply to Hominal… or Beastial for that matter. Amy probably shouldn’t have been able to fly with her wings so small. Perhaps her body was lighter then it looked?

‘Stop it…’ Nodding her head as sighing once again for almost going back into that never-ending spiral, Abby opened her eyes as she watched the candle flicking slightly in the cramped chamber they were in. It was probably going to be a bit longer before the Doppelganger found either of her two guardians… so maybe it was a good time now to ask this of her…

“H-Hey… Yu… How did you end up in these caverns? Well, no, I guess what I really want to ask is how you ended up in Najia’s care…” The brunette whispered. She had a hunch it had something to do with her mate's death… or absence. She still didn’t know for sure if he or she was even dead. She just told her they were gone.

Looking down at Abby as the miniature girl craned her head to look back up at her, the raven-haired child was solemn for a moment as her eyes grew hard. Maybe she wasn’t ready to talk about something like this yet. Tilting her head back down, the older girl silently shook her head before patting the child’s lap.

“It’s fine… if you don’t want to tell me don’t feel pressured into doing it. The last thing I want to do is make you feel uncomfortable Yu. I’m just… really curious. I’ve been that way for each of you girls. You have… such sad stories to tell sometimes. And I guess, I just feel like I’m someone for you all to talk to about them. But, I guess that might be a bit presumptuous of me… I know.” Abby mumbled.

She wasn’t the only person they had to talk to. But, she figured she was a good fit for most considering a lot of their past troubles were caused by humans. If they needed to vent… then she was the perfect person to take it out on. Every day she felt less inclined to defend her species. After all… she didn’t have much in a way to back them up.

They hunted Hominal and Beastial as a profession. They took their lives like one would simply do to livestock. They slaughtered them for game… And this wasn’t even the beginning of everything she knew now. This was just her knowledge beforehand… before coming here… 

‘We really are a detestable species…’ The fact that so many of the girls even loved her still surprised her to this day. Each and every one of them had every right to hate her simply because she was Human. But, she had somehow changed the minds of most of them… and made strong bonds with everyone she met.

Smiling sadly as she recalled how Casey had hated her just a few days prior to how she was with her now, the brunette chuckled quietly. She really was lucky in the end… lucky to meet, such wonderful people. Feeling the hand that rested against her back being withdrawn, Abby soon looked up as she saw the Doppelganger staring away mutely.

“Yu, a-are you alright?” Keeping her eyes off of the diminutive teen, the child simple stared away for a moment longer, before her scarlet irises slowly shifted back over to the troubled Human. Reaching her hand down towards the ground, the larger girl paused as her fingers hovered over the dirt, before she gently closed her eyes, and began to write.

‘Can, I show you…...’ Feeling the faintest chill run down her spine from the open question, Abby looked back up at Yu as she saw her eyes glowing brightly. What did she plan on showing her? H-How… did she plan on showing her…?

Gulping silently, Abby’s eyes beaded as she tried to stifle the fear she felt. Why was she nervous? This was Yu after all. Taking a deep breath, the brunette slowly began to nod before her eyes turned firm. None of the other girls had been very forthcoming with their past as Yu seemed to be now. Perhaps… this was a rare chance for her to really understand, what it was for them to go through.

“S-Show me… I want to see whatever it is you’re offering me…” Stiffening as the candle on the floor extinguished itself, the teenager almost wanted to take back her words now as the darkness she had grown intimate with, engulfed her on all sides… the only light of the room, being cast by Yu’s glowing red eyes.

Looking down timidly as she heard a wet sloshing noise beneath her, the brunette shivered as she felt her feet sinking into the nonexistent lap she had just been on. She was being engulfed again. ‘S-She’s swallowing me up…’ Clenching her fists as she looked back into Yu’s eyes, Abby bit her tongue as she quieted her voice.

 

She asked for this… so there was no turning back now. She was going to see something… whether she wanted to, or not…

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

Standing on a solid surface, her bare feet cold to the touch of stone beneath her, Abby opened her eyes slowly as she felt the heavy atmosphere lifting. Where… was she? Looking at the structures around her in confusion, the brunette took a small step backward's as she tried to figure out what was going on.

All around her, were dark, shadowy buildings. They looked like they were human structures… but there was a shimmering darkness that swirled around them and moved on their own… kind of like Yu’s dress did. One noticeable difference, however, was that they were around the size they should be. She was back at her original height wherever she was now. Looking up now, the teenage gulped once again as she saw darkness over the entirety of the sky. The whole world around her was like one, big, shadow…

However… they were fading… Blinking her eyes as she tried to see if the darkness was playing tricks on her, Abby shivered in silence as she saw the skyline above her… retreating. Inching away like water at an incline, the dark black skies slowly began to fade… and were now replaced, by bright blue skies; clouds’ appearing around them to give a similar atmosphere of darkness… yet, this was different. It looked like she was really… outside.

Watching as the buildings around her began to drain themselves of shadows as well, Abby spun around as she tried to take it all in. The darkness… it was almost as if it was being washed away. As the last of the shadows sunk under her feet, the teenager stood still and silent as she looked around.

She was definitely in a town. The buildings looked better than the ones from Darrowford, but, not that much. The streets were lined with cobblestones, and trash littered the alleyways, both the one she was in and the one that she saw across from her. Where… was this place…?

‘And where are you Yu?’ She didn’t see the doppelganger anywhere…

 

“Juliette! Wait, come back!”

 

A voice? Creeping forward as she heard footsteps approaching, Abby gently touched the building beside her before peeking her head out. Watching in silent surprise as two women ran into view, the teenager said nothing as she saw them coming her way. Who were they?

One was a blonde woman with her hair in long twin tails flying behind her. She was dressed in a regal white sundress, something akin to what Eve might make for her actually. Was she, an upper-class woman? Her age looked to be in her early twenties, but, she could be wrong. She was beautiful though. Very beautiful.

Blushing a bit from her troubling thoughts, Abby shook her head before looking at the other woman currently chasing after her. However… as she looked her over, the brunette felt the hair on the back of her neck rise. ‘She looks… kind of like, me…’

The woman chasing the blonde was a brunette also in her early twenties. Her face was young and looked more akin to that of a teenager her age than someone older but the proportions were there… all of them. Her hair was a slightly darker shade of auburn as well, but both her eyes and her completion were the same. If anyone ever compared them… they might actually think she was her sister.

Watching the two women go as the brunette chased the blonde, the former finally caught up with her as they came to an abrupt stop… right in the intersecting alleyway, she was in. Stepping back a bit worriedly, almost afraid she might interrupt them if she was seen, Abby said nothing as she watched the two women in shock.

Turning on the brunette as she came closer, the blonde had a hateful look in her eye before raising her hand. Hearing a loud crack ring out, Abby shivered as she saw the same look of shock she wore on the brunette’s face… as she was slapped. Hard.

Staggering backward the brunette clutched her cheek as tears streamed down her cheeks. It wasn’t from the pain though. It was from who inflicted it. Glaring back at the other woman, the blonde grit her teeth as she stared her down in rage.

“Don’t talk to me anymore. Just stay away from me you disgusting freak!” Crying in sorrow as she was spoken to the way she was, the auburn-haired woman sniffled as she tried to contain her emotions. But, she was failing… miserably.

“J-Juliette… But I… I love-“ Cupping her mouth in shock as she watching the twin-tailed blonde shove the other woman into the ground, the regally dressed woman turned away before storming off… leaving the brunette crying on the ground as she clutched both her cheek from where she had been hit… and her chest where she had been kicked.

What a cruel thing to see… and it had to be even worse for the other woman. Staring the brunette down as she sobbed on street, Abby felt sorrow for her. But, It seemed someone else felt something for her as well. She wasn't alone...

Blinking in surprise as she saw two small orbs of red glow to life in the alleyway across from her, the teenager had to do a double take now as she watched the shadows of the buildings began to slowly melt outward. She recognized it… recognized her.

The Shadows… they were forming a being. Growing into a larger form, the shadows slowly began to lose their rugged shape before they all drained away leaving a simple blonde woman… with a glowing pair of red eyes. The same woman… who had just called the crying woman before her a freak, and knocked her over.

“Yu…” Jumping as the blonde lifted her head up and stared at her, Abby shivered before she soon realized… she wasn’t looking directly at her. Staring across the alleyway the teenager was in, the blonde woman soon stepped out into the light before looking back and forth on the street. However, her eyes soon turned to the sobbing woman crying feebly on the ground.

Clutching her chest with a real look of apathy on her face, the blonde doppelganger walked over to the brunette before squatting down in front of her. “...Clar-ette…?” Stiffening on the ground as she sniffled weakly, the brunette slowly lifted her head up before even more tears began to break out.

Staring back at one another, the brunette trembled before lowering her face to the ground. “I-I’m sorry… I-I’m s-so… sorry… P-Please… p-please, forgive me… I’m, s-sorry…” She choked out weakly before crying even harder.

Keeping a hand firmly on her chest, the blonde woman continued to stare down at the bawling woman in remorse, a clear difference then the rage-filled one the other woman had been in earlier. Moving her hand away from her chest, the doppelganger soon set it down gently on the brunette’s cheek… before frowning as she flinched.

“P-Please… please, forget what I said! I… I just... I-I still want to be your friend…” The brunette whimpered as she clenched her hands into her face, the pain from her own words all too apparent to the younger girl watching from the distance.

Looking at the interaction in silence, Abby trembled as well as she looked at the older women. ‘Is that really you Yu?’ Who was this woman? She called her… Clarette. It was an Irish name, but, an uncommon one at that. It was almost as if… she knew her.

Keeping her hand on the crying woman’s cheek, the doppelganger said nothing as she gently stroked her sniveling face. “Friend… But, I thought… you loved… me…” Looking back at the blonde in surprise, Abby felt her breath hitch as her tone changed octaves. It sounded just like Yu! But then, it shifted to that woman's…

‘So It really is you…’ This was Yu… and this… was a memory… her memory. It was starting to make sense now. Hearing the tearful chokes of the crying woman stop, the brunette she assumed to be Clarette lifted her head up weakly before looking into the doppelgangers eyes. “J-Juiliette…? B-But I…” Feeling her voice die away as her cheeks were cupped, the blonde simply smiled down at the shivering girl as she leaning her face closer.

“I’m sorry… I… love you, to…” Feeling her cheeks brighten as she watched Yu kiss the woman, Abby licked her lips briefly before stepping out of the alleyway. If this really was a memory then that meant she couldn’t be seen by them… or, interrupt this moment.

Walking over to the two women as they shared a kiss, Abby kneeled down gently as she watched, her lips twitching into a small smile as she saw tears streaming down the brunette's cheeks as she began to cry once more. They were tears of joy…

Cradling the brunette closer, Yu stared lovingly back at her before breaking their kiss, her tongue resting on her lips as she panted happily. So this was it then… this was her mate. She was... a girl… Feeling somewhat uncomfortable for some reason, Abby shifted around a little before taking a step back and leaning into the building behind her.

She hadn't even considered the possibility that Yu’s mate was another girl. ‘So it really isn’t uncommon for Hominal to mate with the same gender...’ Maybe… that meant it wouldn’t be that strange if she mated with one of the others… Lighting up red instantly from the notion, Abby quickly shook her head to rid herself of the thoughts. She was supposed to be watching Yu’s memories, not fantasizing- T-Theorizing!

Pulling the brunette into her chest as she sat on the ground beside her, Yu stared back into Clarettes eyes as she smiled down at her lovingly. It was clear that the crying woman didn’t know what was going on anymore… but, it didn’t look like she cared either.

 

Her taboo love… was requited… And she was just too happy to care…

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

Gasping loudly as her breath came out in soft bursts, Abby stumbled briefly before looking around, darkness present all around her. One minute she had been looking at Yu and Clarette, and the next, shadows suddenly descended on her. Where was she now…?

It looked like some kind of a home. But, much like the sky had before, all the shadows slowly started to drain away leaving the colored image before her what it really should have been. She was in a room, a dining room perhaps? There was a small wooden table in front of her, and a small counter with different dishes and utensils.

Whoever’s home this was… it was kind of small… ‘And I thought our clinic was cramped for space…’ Whose dining room was this? Stiffening as she heard a door creak open behind her, the teenager spun around in silence as she saw a figure enter slowly.

Stepping past the small entryway was, Clarette, but now… she looked much different then she had prior. Her face was full of joy, and there was a skip in her step. Was this after what occurred, or, before she did whatever she had to the other woman? Wondering what was going on, Claire stepped around the table before standing in front of the older woman as she took off her shoes by the front door.

“Juliette, I’m back!” Jumping from the startling yell, Abby locked eyes with the woman for a split second before she smiled back at her! Did she see her?! “Clarette!” Turning around just in time to stagger back, Abby let out a sigh of relief as she saw the blonde… err, Yu? Embrace the other woman as they hugged one another affectionately.

Leaning her face down and giving the brunette a chaste kiss, Clarette blushed before fidgeting a bit in her lover's arms. “I… I couldn’t buy everything you asked me to… All of the stall’s in the market raised their prices on vegetables and poultry this week. B-But I’ll save up more so next week I can-“ Silencing the stuttering woman with another chaste and tender kiss, the brunette sunk happily into the blonde's arms as Yu cradled her closer.

Running one of her hands through the woman's messy brown locks, the doppelganger breathed deeply through her nose before breaking their kiss, Clarette panting now from the salacious act. “Never mind the vegetables. I’ll go buy some later. I’m just happy you’re back. Please don’t leave me so long again~.” Yu whispered into her ear.

Shuddering in her friend's arms, Clarette looked back at her sorrowfully now before shaking her head. “N-No! I don’t want you buying everything. I… I don’t want you to think I like you just because of your money! I-I’ll just have to work another day each week to raise some more!”

Wait, was that why they were fighting before? Looking at the two woman as she saw a look of determination on the brunettes face and the same loving one on Yu’s, Abby was silent as she watched them staring back at one another. We’re they in different casts perhaps? That might have been one of the reasons they had fought before... well, Clarette and the real Juliette, not Yu.

Frowning, the teenager looked them over before quietly nodding her head. Yu had on a bright white gown which had to be expensive, even by her standards… and yet, her friend was dressed in brown rags that had been stitched into a dress. It was rather common to do that with old clothes in most parts of the country. ‘So maybe that’s why that woman hit her…’ She had told her that she loved her and she thought that she was just after her money… or, perhaps it was really because she despised her for loving her…

Feeling a light tugging at her heartstrings, Abby pouted as she watched Yu gently cup the brunette's cheeks before leaning her face down closer. “Clarette… I know you’re not after my estate. And I know you’re not after my family's wealth either silly. If you wanted them… then you wouldn’t be going through so much every day… just so that we can enjoy our evening meal together every night. Please, just let me help you to~. I know you love me… but I love you too.” She whispered before bringing her lips closer, to give the whimpering woman yet another affectionate kiss.

Smiling softly as she saw the older woman sink into Yu’s arms, Abby crossed her arms before feeling her blush return. Was she really supposed to be watching this? She felt like she was invading their privacy… But, Yu had made her come here for a reason. Perhaps, it was so she knew that she and her mate really did love one another.

They really did care for each other. She could see it written in each of their eyes. It was genuine. Breaking their intimate lip lock, Yu pulled away first before panting quietly in front of her lover. “Go start on dinner and I’ll be back. I’ll pick up whatever you couldn’t get, okay?” Nodding weakly as she lowered her eyes, the brunette soon felt her chin lifted upwards as Yu stared back at her friend with her deep crimson eyes.

“Don’t be upset Clarette. You want to take care of me… but, I want to take care of you. Just being with you is enough for me, so I promise to be back soon. I can’t stand the thought of being away from you too long~.” Yu whispered before leaning down for a final time to give her mate a gentle peck on her cheek.

Cupping her skin where the blonde had kissed her, Clarette sniffled weakly as she watched Yu stand back up before slipping on a white pair of shoes beside her ratty brown ones. She was like an angel… Feeling her hand cupped as she was about to step outside the door, Yu paused before looking back at her mate, a loving smile gracing her lips before giving the woman’s hand a gentle squeeze.

“P-Please, come back soon…” The brunette whimpered, almost afraid that her love would leave her for good if she let her go. Nodding cheerfully back at the woman, Yu gave her one final smile before stepping out of the small entryway, and presumably outside.

Standing alone now, minus her unseen observer, Clarette continued to sniffle as a tiny smile formed on her lips. “H-How am I so blessed…?” Staring at the older woman as she began to walk away, the room suddenly began to shrink before shadows engulfed it again. Was this the end of the memory?

Watching as the shadows took off towards where Yu had left, Abby soon nodded. These were her memories, not Clarette’s. She couldn’t know what she did when she was gone it seemed. Standing alone in the darkness, Abby paced around for a moment before the landscape shifted around, and a new room slowly molded itself for her to see. It seemed Yu had multiple things for her to watch.

This almost felt like some kind of painting to her. One which explained her life. And the teen was more than willing to watch it unfold for her to see. But, it did bother her… since she knew what the outcome would look like once it came to an end…

 

One way or another… Yu was going to lose her mate…

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

Massaging her head gently as she tried to ease her headache, Abby watched in captivation as scene after scene unfolded to her for her to understand and watch. They were all very different, but, they were also all the same as well.

Each new memory featured both Clarette and Yu, or, as the brunette continued to call her, Juliette. Each one, they shared intimate moments. Holding hands on the street, kissing in the meadows beside their city… E-Even them mating with one another in their bed… She could see it, love. They really did love each other.

And if she was being perfectly honest… she almost felt, envious of Yu. The love they shared… it felt, so wonderful to bear witness to. She could only imagine when it must feel like to be on the receiving end of such warmth and comfort. Then again… she had already been given a taste, both from Eve and from Casey.

Biting her lower lip as she thought about the two girls, Abby blushed darkly as her mind wandered some more. Yu’s thoughts were really playing with her emotions and her heart… both in good and bad ways. But… she had a strange feeling now. Something was different about this memory. Each one started the same. Both Clarette and Yu would be together in some manner, never separated.

When the brunette left to work for the day in the fields adjacent to her home, Yu would always be there… hiding in the shadows. She would never leave her side. But now… Yu was all alone. Was this it…? Was this the memory she was leading up to?

It didn’t look so bad to start with. Standing in the small kitchen in the same white gown she always wore, Yu was quiet as she stood over a small pot she was stirring. It looked like she was making something for them to eat tonight. If Clarette didn’t bring something back then she would go out while the brunette cooked, but if not she always did.

There were a few memories with interactions like this… but, it felt different… and the teen soon found out why. As she was stirring her pot, the Doppelganger was quiet before suddenly stiffening. Looking to her side as she saw a small paper sheet, the blonde sighed before lifting the pot off the fire it was suspended over.

Setting it down gently, the Hominal smiled before grabbing the paper and taking it with her as she moved towards the door, Yu’s voice ringing out gently as she spoke to herself. “Clarette… You can be so forgetful my love~.” Giggling from her own words as she folded the paper in half, the blonde slipped on her shoes before heading out the door, leaving Abby alone to wonder what that paper had been.

Seeing the shadows retreating, however, the brunette waited for them to change scenes again… but, they seemed… frozen. Blinking in confusion as they refused to budge, Abby took a few steps out of them before they started to creep closer.

Looking at the swirling black void, the teenager did it once more, as the shadows crept closer again. ‘Do… they want me to follower her?’ Taking a few more questioning paces towards the door, Abby nodded now. They wouldn’t move until she did. It seemed they wanted her to follow along and watch whatever was about to happen… this would probably be it…

Frowning silently, Abby took a deep breath before walking out the door, the scenery changing in an instant. Instead of being in the tiny cottage that Clarette and Yu had been sharing, she was now in the middle of the town below the hill their home resided on.

Looking back in the door, Abby scowled now. It was gone… and all that was left was a wall. Unsure of where to go now, the younger girl waited patiently before a sign was given to her. Watching as she saw Yu walk by in front of her a small way, the brunette followed after her.

Catching up with the blonde, Abby smiled silently before her face turned blank. This… this wasn’t Yu… The blonde before her was in the same white dress Yu had been in and had the same two twin tails flowing down her back, but it wasn’t the doppelganger. Her eyes were bright blue… and a scowl was prominent on her features.

This was a stark contrast compared to the Hominal who always smiled no matter what the circumstance. No, this wasn’t Yu… it was Juliette… the real one… Wondering what this meant, Abby paced in front of her as she looked to where they were headed.

This was the marketplace. The main one Yu went to when they had to shop for food. But why were they-, “Juliette?!” Blinking her eyes briefly, the blonde paused her walk before looking back down the alleyway she had been in before her eyes widened slightly… as did Abby’s.

Stepping down the cobblestone streets with a small basket in hand was Clarette... a wide smile on her lips as she looked on at her fake lover. Running up to the blonde in a hurry, the brunette quickly embraced her before leaning forward and giving the surprised woman a deep kiss.

Cupping her mouth in shock, Abby froze. She… she didn’t know it wasn’t Yu… But, the Doppelganger did. Seeing the shadows in the alleyway beside them shifting around, the teenager was sullen as she saw the blonde step out of a portal she had made before she abruptly stopped, her eyes wide in horror as she saw the two women embracing as well.

‘O-Oh no… Y-Yu…’ The look on her face… it almost hurt to see it. Covering her mouth and retreating back into her portal, the blonde Doppelganger’s eyes were the only visible thing she could see as she peered out from her hole to observe… but, she didn’t intervene.

Breaking her kiss happily, Clarette smiled back at her fake lover before cupping the blonde’s hands. “Why are you all the way out here? I thought I told you I’d do the shopping tonight. I already got all of the vegetables from the market stall, and was just about to head back…” Trailing off quietly, the older woman frowned now before her eyes widened. She forgot the list her love had given her! That’s why she was out here!

Berating herself for being so absent-minded, the brunette sighed before looking back at her lover regretfully. “I-I… I forgot your list again… that’s why you’re out here, right? I’m sorry Juliette; I thought I had it on me before I left. D-Don’t worry though, I managed to grab everything-

 

*Crack*

 

Watching as time almost seemed to slow, Abby felt her stomach drop, as she was forced to watch Clarette reel backward sickeningly, before hitting the ground as she cried out, the loud clapping noise of the blonde hand having brunt her hard enough to knock her off her feet.

Glaring at her old friend with fresh hatred, the blonde growled in anger at the brunette as she lifted her head up weakly, the dots slowly clearing from her eyes as she felt shock, confusion, and betrayal, just being a few of the many emotions as she looked at the enraged face of her lover. What just happened?

“Y-You… YOU BITCH!” Feeling as if she had just been impaled, Clarette’s breath hitched as she saw the blonde glaring down at her angrily. Her Juliette had never talked to her that way before… not since they started to love one another that is… Strutting up to the downed girl, the grounded woman tried to lift her head before a white-clad sole stomped into her neck causing her to wheeze as her head was forced into the cobblestones painfully.

Covering her mouth as she saw the horrific sight, Abby was utterly speechless. She just stepped on her throat! WHO THE HELL DID THAT?! But, it didn’t look like she cared… but, Yu certainly did. Watching as the Doppelganger spasmed angrily in the alleyway, shadows grew out in every direction as her eyes glowed a menacing red. She could tell… that the Hominal was enraged…

But, she still didn’t react. Why wasn’t she coming out of her hiding place? Clawing at her lover’s foot as she tried to get it off her neck, Clarette wailed in agony as she leather clad shoe was ground into her windpipe. It hurt! Why was she doing this?!

Grinding her teeth in anger, the blushing blonde spit on the ground before wiping her lips repeatedly. “Y-YOU SICK FREAK! I TOLD YOU TO NEVER SPEAK TO ME AGAIN AND YOU… YOU JUST KISS ME! WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU!” Looking up at her love in clear confusion, the brunette coughed as blood slowly formed on the corners of her lips.

“J-J-Juli-ette…?” Screeching as her neck was stomped harder; the blonde withdrew her foot before giving the coughing woman a sharp kick to her side earning more screams from the now sobbing brunette. “GET AWAY FROM ME YOU DEGENERATE! If you ever, EVER! Try to speak to me again I’ll make sure my husband takes care of you! Just go crawl back into that hole you came out of you worthless peasant! We’re not friends anymore!” She screamed before giving the girl one final kick.

Clutching her own stomach as she tried not to imagine the pain Clarette must be feeling from her ruthless assaults, Abby trembled horribly as she watched the woman simply turn and start walking away, multiple curses leaving her lips as she walked over to the busy market beside them…

‘W-Why… why aren’t you doing anything…?’ WHY WASN’T ANYONE DOING ANYTHING?! They were right near the main street of the town! People had all just saw what had happened, and did nothing. Yu had watched it all… and did nothing… ‘Yu…’

Looking over to the Doppelganger hiding in the shadows, Abby felt her heart shatter. On her knee’s in tears, was the Hominal, as her hands reached out from her darkly lit alley. She wanted to embrace her… she wanted, to hold her… but, she wasn’t leaving her hiding place. She was just watching, as her mate cried on the ground in misery.

Lying in a fetal position as tears streamed down her cheeks, Clarette wailed in agony… as she felt her own heart breaking. What… what did she do? What did she do wrong! Husband… what husband! She was just with Juliette! She had always been with her! For the past two months… she had been by her side, every, single, day…

Digging her fingers into the stones as she coughed up some blood, the brunette crawled to her feet weakly as she looked up in pain, the blonde still at the stall she had walked to, not even paying her mind as she kneeled there in pain.

“J-J-Juliette… w-why…? W-What… did I do, wrong…” She whimpered before attempting to stand, only to fall down on her back. Panting in pain as more and more tears fell from her eyes, the brunette continued to cry… as she felt her happiness all but crumble…

 

Her Juliette… her love… What did she do wrong…

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

Crying softly as she stood next to Yu, Abby was mute as a small line of tears trailed down her cheeks. But, they couldn’t hold a candle, to the flooding ones cascading down the Doppelgangers eyes as she stood outside the door of their small cottage.

Standing on the porch, almost as if she were frozen in place, the twin-tailed blonde sniffled and cried as she kept an outstretched hand hovering over the doorknob. She had been like this for almost an hour. Each time she tried to touch it, however… she reeled away. It was like she was afraid of facing her mate inside.

After the events of that evening, Clarette had limped home… and locked herself inside their home. But, as much as the teen wanted to see her now… see how she was cooping to it all… Yu’s memories refused to let her. Either because she didn’t even know herself… or, perhaps the dark state her mate was in was too much for her to recall.

Looking up at the grief-stricken Hominal as she sobbed weakly, Yu’s lower lip trembled as she stared down at the door, her eyes void of life, as they dimly glowed a faint reddish hue. “I-I’m so sorry Yu…” Wishing for the Doppel to hear her, Abby lowered her eyes as well as she continued to stand there. She didn’t know what to do… and she didn’t know what to say.

She herself, would be broken… if anything like that happened to one of her friends. 'And this was her mate'. It had to be a pain on a much higher level that she couldn’t possibly even imagine. Watching as the woman slowly began to fade to black, Abby’s eyes widened now, as she saw her form shrinking in size.

Shifting colors again, Abby felt her breath hitch was she saw who Yu was now. She looked… exactly like she did before. A little girl, in a shadow black dress… So did this mean that this really was Yu’s true form… the one that she had shown to her?

Wanting to ask this of her, Abby wasn’t given a choice in the matter however as she saw the scene finally changing, as the Doppelganger closed her eyes, and walked toward's the door. However... before she could enter, a loud clatter echoed out from inside their home. Stiffening, Yu's eyes slowly widened before she all but phased through the door, a loud scream echoing out from within. Looking at the black portal left behind by Yu, Abby's eyes beaded as she heard more and more screams coming from within. Gulping in silence, Abby shivered before taking a step forward, her foot falling through the black hole before she appeared in their living room... the sight she saw, however, was beyond her comprehension. What she saw, was worse then she could have ever imagined…

“CLARETTE!” Screeching as she ran into the small dining room, Yu’s eyes were wide in shock… as she saw the body of her mate, dangling from a rope, tied tightly around her neck. Shifting shape immediately as she took on the blondes woman's form once more, Yu grabbed onto the brunettes hanging body before lifting her up so the rope could no longer restrict her throat.

All the while this was going on, Abby was watching… her mouth now dry as she felt the grim realization hit her. ‘N-No… n-not like this…’ This couldn’t really be it… could it…? Pulling a chair over with her leg as she tried to prop her mate up to stand, tears streamed down the Doppelgangers eyes as she wailed.

Clawing at the rope around the brunette's neck as she dug her nails into it, the Doppelganger screeched before her arm turned black entirely and in its place, was some kind of clawed appendage that didn’t seem to belong on a human. Hacking at the rope viciously, the thin strand of fibers finally snapped causing both women to fall off the chair and onto the ground, Yu taking the brunt of the impact, so Clarette wouldn’t.

Lying on the ground in franticness, the Doppelganger soon shifted back into her original form before tugging tightly on the rope before it finally gave way… but… it was too late. Staring down at Clarette with much the same look Yu was giving her, Abby felt her breath leave her. The area where the rope had been, was purple and indented. She had snapped her neck when she let the rope tighten…

She was gone…

Trembling on the ground as she stared into the faded eyes of her mate, Yu’s eyes grew red before a deafening scream wailed from the Hominal’s lungs. Taking a step back in fright from the bloodcurdling cry, Abby shivered as she saw Yu’s dress come to life before viciously stabbing into the now deceased woman… but, it didn’t look like she knew that she was really dead…

Crying out in pain as her shadows forced… something into her, the Doppelganger screamed her name repeatedly as tears streamed down her cheeks before her shadow faded out of existence entirely, and she fell over in exhaustion… What, did she just try to do?

“Y-Yu…?” Moving closer to the sobbing child as she gripped onto Clarette's brown dress, Abby whimpered before covering her mouth. The wounds around the older woman’s neck… they were gone. She was trying to bring her back… somehow… but, at what cost?

Looking back at the now translucent Doppelganger as she cried weakly atop her dead mate, Abby shook her head. This… it was wrong. It was all, so, wrong… Turning her head away, unable to stare any longer, Abby cried softly as she let the reality of it all sink in.

 

Clarette… had taken her own life…

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

The funeral had been short. They came a week later to bury Clarette, an undertaker that is. News had spread rather slow that she had even passed as it were.  Only two other people came when they buried her. An older man who said nothing… and a woman she had seen working in the fields with the brunette occasionally. Just them… and no one else. No one, except Yu…

Standing beside the Doppelganger as she hid behind a withered oak tree, the translucent child rested her back against the wood, as she waited till everyone else left before revealing herself. Walking alongside her, Abby felt a heavy weight on her chest as she partook in this tragic affair. After all of this had happened… the memories she had seen had been briefer… and less detailed. It was all of Yu, crying and mourning… The pain she could see… wasn’t even comparable to the loss of her own parents. It looked… soul shattering. And she could do nothing.

Crying once more as tears fell lightly from her eyes, Abby reached her hand out to touch Yu, but, her hand passed right through the girl, as she continued to obliviously walk towards the small freshly filled hole where her mate now rested.

Falling to her knees as she said nothing, Yu’s eyes were hollow, as they remained dim, and void of life. She was broken. Touching the ground softly as her pale fingers dug into the dirt, the child’s contorted into a look of pain before it passed, and her entire upper arm grew translucent to the point she could even see through it...

Parts of her body seemed to be missing… and, almost see through by default. She was fading away… Pulling her hand back where it had just been, Yu sobbed weakly before lowering her eyes, a small flower now formed over the dirt, as its black shadows wavered lightly in the air.

Kneeling next to the younger child, Abby said nothing… not that it really mattered either way. No words needed to be said, for what had already passed. Looking down at the small shadowy flower, Abby smiled weakly as she touched it, her fingers gently fading in and out of it as she looked on at it with care.

It looked… like a parting gift. One she wanted to give her mate herself… but was unable to do so any sooner. As the shadows of their surroundings began to fade away signaling a change of scenery, Abby quietly shook her head. She didn’t want to leave yet. She wasn’t ready to leave Yu’s side…

But, they didn’t give her a choice, as the Doppel soon faded away leaving her in the same void of blackness that they always turned to when the environment shifted. Remaining on the ground as she kneeled there weakly, the teenager was silent as she felt her heart gently pattering against her chest. ‘Why did it have to be like this…?’

They had been, so happy… Just, why…? Why did bad things like this exist… and happen to good people… Why? Why, why, why, why, why! Clenching her fists in anger now, Abby bit back her tongue as she felt like screaming now to.

 

IT WASN’T FAIR!

 

None of their lives were… Lowering her eyes as a familiar city began to form, Abby grew somber now as she saw an alleyway fade into view… the same one she had been in when she first entered this mindscape. She was back where she started.

Turning around as she looked for what it was she had to find, the brunette soon caught sight of it in the form of Yu slowly opening a portal… in the same Alleyway, she had originated from earlier. Crawling out and hobbling towards the wall beside her, the little Hominal looked… almost gone now.

Her entire body was all but completely faded as parts of blackness wavered in and out, almost like they were trying to fix her… but, she looked, terrible… Walking over to the emotionless looking girl, Abby kneeled down before reaching out to her again.

If she had only one wish… it was to be able to touch Yu in here. She wanted to talk to her… give her words of warmth… but, a memory was a memory. She could do little more than follow along. Seeing the shadows all around her starting to move, the older girl looked up now before her eyes widened.

The sun, it was moving back and forth… No, that wasn’t right… it was rotating. Were these days passing by? Losing track of how many rotations it had made, Abby’s eyes shifted back over to Yu as her heart sunk. Her skin was fading by each passing orbit… until only her eyes, and the most translucent outline of her body could be recognized.

Did…  Did she come here to die…? This was the place she first saw her. The place she had first interacted with Clarette… the place they had formed their bond. It had to hold sentimental value to her. ‘I guess… it makes sense this is where she’d want to be then when… it ended…’

But, she was just giving up? “Yu…” Watching as she teetering shadows came to a stop, Abby froze as she heard footsteps behind her. Looking back down the alleyway towards the intersecting street, the teen could see it crowded now for some reason. Perhaps there was some kind of event today?

Shaking her head for getting distracted, Abby looked back down at Yu as she saw the faint glow that still remained of her. Not even her body was visible anymore. How many days had she just… been sitting like this? Waiting to die…

“Kari, can you hold onto this for a moment?” Feeling her breath hitch, Abby turned around quickly before her eyes widened in disbelief. Stepping out from the busy street and out of sight towards the vacant alley way was none other, than Najia. Albeit, a very human-looking Najia. Even without her furry ears or multiple tails, however, the brunette could tell it was her in an instant.

Glancing at her as well, Abby all but shivered as she saw a slightly younger Kari to confirm this. The witch was dressed similar to how she usually did now, but her cloak was now bound together by her hip to conceal her clothes underneath it.

Pulling her hoodie down and looking up at the older Hominal, the little blonde grunted as she nudged the bag her mentor had given her as she watched the Kitsune walking forward slowly. “Najia? What’s wrong?” Saying nothing as the older woman turned her head back and forth, Abby took a couple steps back to make way for her, before the Kitsune hovered over Yu.

Looking down at the now vacant spot where the child had been moments prior, the Hominal’s eyes narrowed before she kneeled over the spot the Doppelganger had once been in. She had to squint, but, she could see it. “I almost couldn’t feel you, little one… It’s not wise to starve yourself when you’re made out of pure Energy…” She whispered.

Looking back at the Kitsune in surprise, this being the first real interaction she had ever seen with the blonde along with her elegant voice, Abby frowned before looking back down at Yu. How perceptive was she? Eve had made her out to be smart, but she seemed even more astute then the Vampire had described her to be.

Watching as two small orbs of red flickered to life and slightly shifted upward’s, Najia nodded before her eyes glowed a faint blue. “Don't be alarmed. Just be at peace, and come back to me.” Watching as the older woman’s hand started to glow, Abby was transfixed on the interaction.

Pressing her palm forward till it hovered in the air, seconds ticked by slowly, until Yu’s body began to take shape again! Letting out a sharp gasp as she saw small pulses of blue light being emitted from the Kitsune, the little Doppelganger started to take shape before Yu’s entire form all but reappeared, albeit… now unconscious.

Removing her hand from where the younger girl’s chest now was, the Kitsune cupped the child’s chin so she could get a proper look at her. Moving her face back and forth gently as she inspected her, the blonde quietly smiled as the saddest of chuckles escaped her lips, one only Abby could possibly hear considering she was right beside her. “What stories will you tell me little one…?” Letting her question hang briefly, the blonde soon moved her arms out once more, though this time it was to embrace the unconscious child.

Lifting Yu up in her arms gently, Najia quietly turned around before heading back out towards the street, Kari seemingly perplexed to all that had just happened. “N-Najia?! W-Who is that! Why is she not moving?! S-She’s not dead, is she?”

Pouting at her younger charge, the Kitsune shook her head before walking in front of the little Witch. “No Kari, she’s not. But, she will be traveling with us from now on. Come along, we should get this one back to our camp as soon as possible. I fear once this one awakens, it might be difficult to keep her in one place for very long.” She Kitsune smirked.

Furrowing her brow at the strange way Najia was talking about this random girl, the little witch propped the large bag she had been carrying higher in her arms before running up behind the Kitsune to keep up, both of them soon fading out entirely as the world started to turn black once more.

Standing alone now once again, Abby was mute as she let it all sink in. ‘Yu…’ Wanting to know more, the brunette regretfully shook her head. She had seen enough… But, she still had questions…  Questions, she could only ask Yu in person. She only hoped, that the answers she received, weren’t as horrific as these memories had been.

 

“Yu… take me back… I’ve seen enough…”

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

Opening her eyes as darkness surrounded her body no longer, Abby quietly breathed as she felt her lungs strangely void of air. That whole experience… it felt, otherworldly… Lifting her head up to stare back at Yu, the child was as silent as always as her glowing eyes shined brightly in her pitch black chambers.

What she just saw… what she was privileged to learn… it was something Yu regarded as sacred. And now, she understood why. But, amongst everything she had seen, one thing needed to be addressed. The very first thing, that had been on her mind since she saw Clarette... “Y-Yu… I have to ask you something, now that I know who your mate was. Did… you just save me, and watch over me this whole time… because I look kind of like your Mate?” It felt weird to ask her this… but it was at the top of the list of things she had to have answers for.

Looking back at one another for a few minutes, Yu said nothing at all which unnerved the smaller girl to no end, before the faintest of lights began to shine beside them. Glancing away from the Hominal’s un-seeable face, Abby looked over to where the candle had been, as she saw its flame lit once again, the Doppelganger’s shadow no longer covering it up. Hadn’t she extinguished it?

Shifting her gaze back over to Yu now that there was light once again, Abby felt her throat clench up as she saw the pain expression the younger girl wore. She looked like she was on the verge of tears again! Shaking as if she were freezing from the cold, Yu’s eyes beaded softly as tears finally broke free from her eyes, prompting the brunette to raise her hands defensively.

“Y-Y-Yu, w-wait, don’t cry! I’m not mad, or upset! I, I just want to know. Is this why you’ve been saving me, over and over again…?” Sniffling noiselessly as she pulled her knees into her chest, the Doppelganger looked away before the faintest of nods could be seen.

Lowering her guard now, Abby sighed softly as she saw the frail way the larger girl was acting. “Yu, I told you already. I’m not upset with you. How could I be? You haven’t gotten over her yet… have you?” Lifting her eyes above her arms, the raven-haired child gazed down at Abby weakly before shaking her head, her tears continuously falling now that they had started once again.

Crawling to her feet as she ignored the fatigue she felt, Abby wobbled for a moment before regaining her footing. “Yu… I-I’m sorry. I really am…” Taking a few shaky steps forward, the brunette moved towards her leg before resting her hand on the pale girl’s thigh.

“I can’t even begin to imagine the pain you’re going through right now. The pain, you’ve been holding onto for all this time. How… how long have you been with Najia and the others?” Keeping her eyes peeking as she watched the smaller human, Yu’s right hand shakily moved down beside her before she trailed it into the dirt, almost feebly.

‘4 months…’ So this had been recent then… She hadn’t had much time to grieve. Resting her forehead against the younger girls leg, Abby gently closed her as eyes she began to gently stroke her skin. “I can’t say I know about your pain… or, how it feels to lose someone you’re in love with. But, I’ve lost loved ones too. It… it’s debilitating at first Yu, the pain I mean. But, you can get over it in time.” Abby whispered weakly. She just hoped her words could be consoling at all.

Hearing some scratching noises on the ground beside her, Abby lifted her head back up before looking at the dirt once again… only for her stomach to drop as she read what the Doppelganger had written. ‘I wish I never met her… it’s my fault she’s dead…’

Looking back up at the larger child in shock now, Abby grit her teeth before giving Yu’s thigh a hard slap. “D-DON’T YOU DARE SAY THAT YU!” Was she out of her mind?! Wincing from the light tap on her leg, the younger Hominal cringed more because of how the teenager had yelled at her. This was the first time she had raised her voice at her…

Clenching her fists in anger, Abby ground her teeth as she saw the sadness in Yu’s face. She actually thought her mate was better off without her?! “Yu! What the hell would make you say that?! Clarette loved you! You know that! I never even met her and I could see it in her face!” She loved the little Hominal with all her heart!

Watching the younger girls lower lip tremble as more tears began to fall, the child simply sobbed in silence as her hand began to weakly write once again. ‘I… killed her… I killed her… I killed her… I kil-‘ Feeling her finger bent awkwardly, the Doppelganger winced as she saw Abby pulling against her digit in rage. She looked infuriated…

“YU, KNOCK IT OFF ALREADY!” Pushing the child's finger backward’s so she couldn’t write anymore, Abby yipped as she fell flat on her face once the younger girl pulled her hand away. Crawling to her feet tiredly, Abby glared up at the sullen girl before shaking her head.

“Yu… what is wrong with you! Clarette… she loved you! What happened in the past happened… You can’t take it back. But thinking you did this to her is just plain ridiculous!” Was she really blaming herself for this whole mess? It was completely unwarranted!

Latching onto the younger girls hand as she tried to write something again, Abby’s harsh glare stiffened the younger girl causing her to freeze up on the spot. “Yu, listen to what you’re saying! O-Or writing! Do you honestly think, that if you never met Clarette… that her life would have been even half as wonderful as it was!”

Shivering in place as she listened to the older girls words, Yu nudged the teen off of her fingers before letting her hand fall to the dirt once more. ‘S-She would be alive…’ Sulking silently, Abby simply shook her head. She still didn’t get it.

“Yu… what’s the point of living, if you have nothing to live for?” Opening her eyes in shock, The Doppelganger looked down at Abby in a stuttered way… but, the brunette wasn’t finished. Raising her hand and lifting her finger up as a means to silence…. the mute girl… Abby sighed before shaking her head once again.

“Yu… don’t you understand? Clarette was on the verge of tears after being left by her friend. You saved her from her own self! If you hadn’t done that, how do you even know the outcome wouldn’t have still ended in this same way? You didn’t just save her back then, you gave her a reason to live!”

Quivering as the smaller girls words sunk in, Yu’s face contorted into a look of pain before she clenched her eyes shut and began to cry once more. It hurt to think about it. It hurt to think about her mate. It just hurt, all over…

Kneeling next to the pale child, Abby gently rested her hand on hers before moving it around in small circles. “Yu… What happened was a tragedy. There’s never an excuse to toss away your life. I know this well… But, you tried to do it to… didn’t you?” 

Holding back her own tears as she remembered how the Doppel had looked as she withered away, Abby clenched her eyes before taking a deep breath to calm herself down. “You didn’t want to be here… be without your mate. But tell me this, and tell me it truthfully Yu. Do you think that for even a second, that she would have wanted you to follow in her footsteps after she thought she lost you? Do you think Clarette would have wanted you to end your life to…?”

Watching as the child bobbed up and down as she cried into her knees mutely, Abby shook her head. She didn’t even need the voiceless girl too spell it out for her. She already had her answer. Hugging her hand as she wept in silence, Abby nuzzled her cheek into the Hominal's hand as a faint trail of tears traveled down her cheeks too.

“You gave her a reason to hold onto her life. Every day, she worked hard, and did everything she could; to hold onto you… not to that other woman you were copying. She loved you. She wanted to be, with you. And if she never met you… if you never appeared before her that day… then she would have been miserable.”

Choking on her breath as she tried to say it for her, Abby clenched her eyes before gripping the younger girls fingers. “YOU WERE HER WORLD YU!” She didn’t need to even see her memories to know this! Feeling her body shifted around, Abby sniffled as she wiped down her face as she was brought to’s Yu’s.

Gritting her teeth as she saw the look of heartbreak written over the Hominal’s face, Abby shook her head. “Yu… What you shared with Clarette… no one can take that away from you. Not that Juliette woman, not anyone in these caves and not even death!” Abby wailed.

What they shared, even if only briefly, was love. And she’d be damned before letting the younger girl think that she was at fault for what had happened to her mate. That just wasn’t it. It wasn’t, right. Hugging the child’s cheek as she was pressed into it, Abby whimpered softly as she nuzzled herself closer to embrace the crying girl.

“Yu… I-I know why you blame yourself. I think I get it at least. You didn’t want her to find out what you were… so that’s why you never told her. That’s why you never got involved when she encountered the person you were pretending to be… and… and that’s why you couldn’t face her… after everything that happened…” Abby whispered.

Pulling her face back as she saw the dimmed eyes of the Doppelganger peering down at her, Abby nodded weakly. “I understand why you did the things you did. You were scared... kind of like, you were scared to show yourself to me... But, I think it could have been avoided to… if you had told her the truth. The truth of what you are… Because even if she knew… I don’t believe she would have even cared. That’s how much she loved you. That’s the kind of love that I saw she held towards you, every time she looked into your eyes.” Abby finished.

She had said what needed to be said. Now, it was on the younger girl to figure out where to go from there. Sitting in silence, not that she could speak even if she wanted to, Yu’s glowing irises faded in and out as seconds ticked by, her mind seemingly engrossed elsewhere from the teenager’s words.

Was, she right? Drifting her eyes away from the candle they had vaguely focused on, Yu looked down at Abby now as she saw the brunette staring back at her with a determined expression. It was a look, which she saw on her Clarette… every single day. The same look, that compelled her to want to keep her safe…

Keeping their eyes locked for a while, the Hominal’s eventually broke away as Yu closed her eyes and gripped Abby gently, no, firmly. It wasn’t uncomfortable, but it was definitely stronger than she usually did. Smiling warmly at the younger girl as she hung her head, Abby tenderly rubbed the child's fingertips.

“Yu… you know that she loved you. So please, don’t sully her memory, by thinking that she would have been better off without you. You built her up. You supported her every single day. You protected her, from herself. Without you, then I don’t know what would have even happened after that day…” Abby whispered.

She was heartbroken… and Yu had been there to mend it. She had been in so much pain that day… that killing herself was a better alternative than being without her love. Even if she hadn’t told her the truth before they parted, she knew without a doubt, that her mate would have understood. And now, she had a feeling the Doppelganger did to…

Shaking frailly as her hand vibrated into her chest, Yu quivered as she lightly sobbed, the teenager's face being the thing that absorbed the majority of it. Raising her arm over her head as she tried to stop the oncoming tears, the brunette smiled in sadness as she let the younger girl vent. This wound was still fresh… and it would take time to heal. Sadly for her, even if she was a Doctor… this was all that she could do to help her along.

Hugging the younger girl gently as she cried, Abby said nothing as they continued to sit with one another, and let the mood settle once more. Perhaps now, she truly did understand. Feeling one of the hands that supported her leave her back, however, Abby looked down as she saw the Hominal’s shaking limb resting on the ground motionlessly.

“Yu?” Wrinkling her nose as she sniffled noiselessly, an act all her sounds made, the Doppel soon began moving her fingers over the ground, but, her eyes never left the smaller girl for long. Peering over her fingers, Abby read the small message she had wrote to her before she felt her heart cry out.

Clutching Yu’s hand tightly, Abby rested her cheek on the child’s fingers as she breathed deeply. “No Yu, I won’t leave you… like your mate did. I haven’t told anyone yet… but, I’ve already made up my mind…” Abby whispered, her words now heavier as she saw the poorly scribbled sentence beneath her. ‘Don’t abandon me too…’

Closing her eyes as she let herself think, the teenager nodded silently. It took her time to sort this out… but, she was sure now. Not just because of Yu, or because of Eve, or even because of Casey… but, because of everyone here collectively. They needed her… and, she loved all of them. “I’ve been thinking about this for a while now, but, I know it’s what I have to do… After Najia fully recover’s… I’m going to ask her if I can stay here with you all.” Abby smiled. Her place… was here. Here with all of them. And now, she knew it too. As soon as she grew back to normal, she was going to live with them from here on out.  After all… she was one of them now too.

 

 

And she would never, abandon them.

 

 

To be continued.

 

Chapter End Notes:

 

A sorrow-filled chapter, and an intresting revelation. Though, I figure a few of you probably already guessed that Abby was going to be sticking around. Who know's, it might have been a surprise.

I'll try to update soon. I'm just having some trouble at the moment starting on my next opening scene considering how I ended this one. But, I'll do my best to please you all and give you something fun to read soon enough!

Thanks again everyone, I'll see ya around!