- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

"Sighs"

 

I miss you all. ;-;

 

Welcome back everyone. Sorry I'm not really present like I'd like to be but once again, Senpai has got us covered! This chapter really surprised me. Some ideas that never came up were shown and honestly, I really love it. I love it a lot.

When I started this story, Eve was an enigma to me, but F.W helped me design her, I think I've said that before. xD. But he took her story farther back then I even thought about and from what he told me, he's not even close to being done.

:D

I can't wait to see how this concludes, and I can't wait to take part once again when I'm back. Please be patiant my loyal people! I swear I'm coming back sooner then three months this time! Probably... I think...

 

Anyways, enjoy.

 

:)

 

*“So, you want to know more about us? Fufufu~, then you’ll learn everything you need to know, but, before I can get into what you truly wish to ask, we’ll have to go back a bit. Back to when times were simpler. Back when times weren’t as dark as they are now…  We have to go back, to the beginning. Back, to when I was still a human…

 

In the northern part of Ireland, there’s a large port town known as, Coleraine. It’s one of the largest of this country, and one of the most prosperous. The location makes it perfect for many things, fishing, trading goods, importing and exporting commodities. It’s a proverbial paradise for entrepreneurs… and, the place where my ancestors settled when we first came here.

My lineage can be traced back to the country of France, or, at least that’s what I was told by my parents when I was still a kid. Coming to these isles, my great grandfather brought with him supplies, and knowledge. With these two things he brought the Ventris name to its past and current glory. For generations, my family has held the title as the true Couturier of the three kingdoms. It’s a feat we take great pride in, and dear I say arrogance as well. But, that will be explained later. After all, you came for this…

So it’s time to tell you, where I fit into all of this… let’s go back, 13 years ago. And I’ll try to help you understand, as much as I can…”*

 

~

 

~ Coleraine, Ireland ~

 

 

“Damn it you’re just as useless as all the other Doctors, get off of our estate you filth!” Stumbling out of a large brick and mortared manor, a smaller individual garbed in white fell to the ground before grunting in pain as he was kicked backward. Falling down a small set of stairs leading up to the imposing mansion, the battered Doctor gazed up in dismay as he saw the disgruntled look being sent his way by a much taller man adorned to the brim in culture. Standing at about six foot two, the man wore a rich black and charcoaled suit tailor suited to his stature. His hair was slicked back all the way giving his chiseled face an even gruffer look as well. Adding on to the already extravagance, however, many rings, and cuffs, pieced with gems of all assortments draped his fingers and wrists showing the final pieces of his ensemble that he was, in fact, wealthy, or at least flippant with his wealth.

Adjusting his tie after having it wrinkled by the smaller gentleman, the raven-haired man stuck his nose up at him before slamming the door behind him. “Useless, all of them! Is there no one worth our time in this inutile city?!” He barked angrily before stomping through the largely opened and lit hallways leading to the entrance room of the manor.

As he walked, various maids and a couple butlers backed away as they saw the head of the household storming past them. They knew from experience to avoid their Master at all costs when he got like this. And because of the circumstances, it was worse than usual… much worse…

Moving up the winding stairs that lead to the upper reaches of the historic building, the gruffer man soon stopped as he reached the top before taking a deep breath to compose himself. “Caitriona! Go fetch some fresh water from the kitchen. And make sure it’s cold!” He snapped. Stepping forward from the balcony she had been on, the auburn-haired woman looked to her Master before bowing her head.

“Right away Mr. Ventris. Shall I bring it to her room?” Nodding his head as he stepped past the head housemaid for their manor, the man walked down the long hallways as he came to the last door to the left. Turning on his heel as he adjusted himself, he made sure to check himself over a bit before reaching for the doorknob, and entering in a swift motion.

“How is she, has she shown any new symptoms since that salaud left!” He snapped angrily as he directed his ire towards a younger woman kneeling over a small bed. Dressed in a white linen gown, the brunette frowned before standing back up. She knew this would happen once the good doctor had left. But, there wasn’t much she could do. After all, she was just nursemaid.

“N-No, sir… Her fevers still present but beyond that, she hasn’t shown any signs of further nor change. M-Maybe you should get Doctor Bowers back, he was a good man and he did know-“ Cutting her voice off as she saw her mistake mid-speech, the woman let out a high-pitched yip as she found her cheek met with the backside of the larger man’s hand.

Stumbling as she was struck, the Maid steadied herself before whimpering. “Do not, say that louses name in the presence of my Daughter again. Now get out!” He barked causing the smaller girl to quickly rush past him as she tried to do just that.

Now alone, the man sighed before moving over to the side of the small bed before kneeling over it. This whole ordeal was a trial for him… and all he wanted was it to just be over. Would there ever be an end to this tragedy? “My little Eveline, please wake soon.” He whispered.

Lying on the bed lifelessly was a little blonde adorned in a small white bed dress as sweat rolled off her skin like a faucet. She had been running a high fever for the past two weeks, and no matter who he got in to help his daughter, none of the Doctors could figure out what was wrong with her. Her symptoms had struck her suddenly, and that had been it.

Falling unconscious one day, the child simply stayed sleeping all day as her body grew hotter and hotter. Her eyes only opened a few times a day, and her once lovely and elegant voice was now gone only to be replaced by a raspy whimper and tearful confusion. His daughter… she was, dying…

Cupping the blonde's hand as she lay motionless, the older man ground his teeth as she stared down at his only heir. Why could no one save her! “Pardon Mr. Ventris, I brought you the water just as you asked. Glancing over his shoulder, the man nodded before letting out a tired sigh once more. “Apply it to a washcloth and scrub her face. I’ll have the head nurse come up shortly to bathe her. Do not leave her side, and inform me immediately if anything changes!” He growled.

Keeping a stoic face, the redheaded brunette nodded before bowing her head. “Understood Mr. Ventris.  Shall I inform the Mistress of the current condition when I'm relieved?” Shaking his head, the man stepped past the woman and leaving the room, no words even wasted as he left in silent anger. He would tell his wife of what happened himself… plans needed to be made, in case the worse came to worse. Bowing her head one last time, the auburn-haired maid lowered her eyes to the sleeping girl before a sad expression touched her features.

“Please sleep soundly, Mrs. Eveline… We all wish to see you recover soon…” She whispered, her silent plea echoing gently in the room as she began to dab a petite towel into the bucket she had brought before wiping away the younger girls pain.

They all had to do their part to try and help the little heiress. She was the lifeblood of the Ventris family, and they all knew what the repercussions would be with their Master if she didn’t…

 

For all their sakes, and hers… All they could do was pray…

 

Pray for a miracle…

 

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

*“I remember rain… lots and lots of rain. As days went on, the weather grew drearier and drearier, an omen of sorts for the plague that had settled over my household. A new Doctor had come after the last one, but, he left just as quickly. Few were foolish enough to come here anymore… 

At first, Doctors had been lining up in spades to try and assist the *great* Ventris family, gaining its favor was worth more than gold to some even. But, as each day went, more and more Doctors were shamed for their lack of knowledge or foresight… so eventually, no one dared come. And my fate seemed all but assured.

 

That is... until he came…”*

 

 

~

 

Stepping down the long winding streets of Coleraine, a cloaked figure pulled his cowl down as more and more rain pounded against his back. Coming to a quiet stop as he neared a large fence, the man gazed up to a large bronze plaque embedded into the all-encompassing gate around the manor in front of him, observing it silently, as his crimson eyes lingered on the name.

“Ventris…”

Stepping closer to the gate, the figure quickly stepped into its dwelling before waiting to see what would happen. After a few moments, he smiled beneath his hood before progressing forward. It seemed all Doctors wanted was enough…

 

Enough to let him in…

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

“Knock, knock, knock…”

 

Raising her head up quietly, a young redhead furrowed her brow as she looked around. As a loud knocking echoed down the corridor once again, the maid yawned tiredly before looking at the large grandfather clock in front of her. It was nearly witching hour. Who in their right mind would be out this late, better yet, at her Masters front door?

Standing up quickly, the woman quickly adjusted herself before making her way towards the entrance of the mansion. Coming to the front door, the younger girl pulled her small white cap down before opening it to greet whoever was there.

“Hello?” Feeling her eyes widen in surprise as she looked on at a trench coat-clad man dripping from head to toe from the horrific downpour outside, the woman quickly panicked. “W-Who are you sir? A-Are you lost? Isn’t it a bit, cold out for you to be wandering this late at night?”

Raising his eyes to meet hers, the man was eerily silent for a moment before a soft, dark chuckle escaped his lips. “I’m well aware of the hour madam, but, duty calls. I received word that there was a resident here who had contracted something, dare I say, otherworldly. I came at once when I learned that others couldn’t seem to help her. Tell me, is this the same manor that has the sick little girl I’ve come to aid?” He informed, his tone while deep, kept a very cultural note to it.

Looking back at the man startled, the Maid’s eyes beaded briefly before it finally clicked in her brain from what he had said. “Y-You’re here to help the young Mistress?! P-Please, come in, I’ll go inform Mr. Ventris at once!” She announced lividly before stepping aside to allow the man in.

Moving his foot forward once more, the robed man paused before waving his shoe over the door frame. Once more, however, he silently smiled. “Thank you. If you have the time as well, might I ask for a spot of tea? The weather is rather frightening, and I could really use something to warm me up.” He chuckled once more.

Feeling her face light up from his rich voice, the younger woman blushed before bowing her head. “C-Certainly! P-Please, wait right here while I wake the Master. I’ll have that out for you right away as well!” Watching as the maid scampered off, the man sighed softly before pulling his hood down.

Letting his long white hair fall back, not a drop of rain having hit it, he quickly did the same to his cloak as he opened it up to let the rest of the water drip next to the coat rack beside him. Dressed in a red plaid shirt, and dusky brown pants, the pale-skinned man adjusted his collar before holding his hands behind his back as he waited.

Closing his eyes as he chin rose in the air, the man gave the room a quick sniff before sighing, the pleasant smell of earl grey tea whiffing to his nose. ‘Perfect.’ After a moment a gentle thumping echoed in his ears as well. Coming down the double-sided stares was a larger man dressed in a plain white tee-shirt. His pants were on, but slightly askew, and his color looked a bit wrinkled. If the stranger had to guess, he had just woken up… and in a hurry at that.

Stepping into the main corridor, Mr. Ventris frowned as he saw the man whom his maid had informed him about. He wasn’t really expecting… this. “Good evening… May I ask why you’ve come to my estate so late at this time? I was informed that you were a Doctor. While I appreciate the haste, this hour is ungodly. I expect a good answer.” He muttered his tone rather neutral for their current circumstances.

Chuckling softly, the stranger bowed his head before unfolding his arms. “Right you are, it is rather late. Though, I expected that a man of your gravity to want only the best for his sick, and ill befallen daughter. When I learned that your child was still harrowed I came at once. Was I wrong to try and make haste? Or, wrong to want to aid you in your trying time of need?” He smiled leisurely.

Narrowing his eyes from the way the stranger talked, the raven-haired man closed his eyes before grunting. “If you’re a Doctor I expect results. If you’re here just to try and learn from my Daughters illness or study here then get the hell out. I need someone to cure her, not make her into a pity case!” He snapped.

Not even batting an eyelash, the man raised his hand calmly as he smiled once more. “Why sir, I would never dare to do that. All life is valuable to me, and my value is high. I can promise you if the child is healable then healed she will be. But, there are of course some things you just can’t heal. I’ll need to see her first before I can tell you if I can, or I can’t help her. Those are my terms, whether you agree with them or not.” He informed.

Glancing past the aggravated lord of the manor, the stranger's eyes traveled to the maid briskly walking up to him. “Ah, thank you. Earl gray is my favorite.” Smiling up at the newcomer the younger maid nodded happily before confusion suddenly entered her face. “Y-You knew what kind I made you?”

Taking the small teacup from her hands, the white-haired stranger smiled before bringing the cup up to his lips. “Of course. I could smell it from the kitchen, along with the fragrant aroma of a beautiful stewardess serving her Master dutifully.” He smiled.

Blushing from the flattering compliment, the maid wanted to wait and see what the gentlemen thought before her Masters' voice brought her back to the present. Clearing his throat, the raven-haired man looked to his maid before snapping his fingers.

Cringing, the woman nodded before taking the small plate she had been holding back with her as she exited the room. Cracking open his eyes as he let the pleasant taste dance across his tongue, the white-haired man looked to his host as he saw him sizing him up.

“Well, are you here to flirt with my staff or heal my daughter?” He growled. Finishing up his cup rather hastily, the pale man chuckled softly before setting the cup down on one of the tables beside him. “I’m here for your daughter, of course, please, lead the way Sir Ventris.”

Huffing gruffly, the raven-haired man, turned his back before moving towards the stairs. Stepping beside him, the newcomers smile never faltered as he followed his host up the stairs. To say his curiosity was piqued would be an understatement. He was dying to see what this young heiress was ill with and eager to know if she could handle what he would give her if she was worthy of it.

Coming to the far room of the hallway, both men looked back at one another before the larger of the two opened the door to his daughter's room. “She’s in here. Take as long as you need to figure out if she can be cured or not. And I had better like your answer…” He warned.

Feeling his grin widen, the crimson eyes man grinned before stepping forward. Looking around the small room, his eyes passed over the many toys and accessories that were shown to him as he favored seeing the ill child before him more.

Lying motionless, as she had most days since she took ill, Eve was sleeping as sweat continued to bead off her face. ‘Why, her skin's even paler than mine.’ Smirking from his morbid thought, the stranger stepped over to the bed before pulling the blanket that was covering her down.

Feeling the eyes of the territorial father behind him the man sighed before looking over his shoulder. “I need to study her closely, and, alone… why don’t you step outside, and shut the door behind you? You’ll know when I’m done.” He informed.

Narrowing his eyes as he was about to bark at the stranger, the raven-haired man paused before feeling his mind quickly going along with his words. “Right… take your time.” Moving towards the door, he quickly closed the door behind him leaving the pale skinned man now alone.

Looking over Eveline with his glowing red eyes, his crimson orbs gently pulsed before fading back to normal. “Now, let’s see what you have wrong with you…” He mumbled. Moving his elongated fingers over towards her neck, the white-haired stranger tapped her veins as he felt the faint pulsing beneath her skin.

“Show me your secrets…” Lying still on the bed, the man narrowed his eyes before they began to glow once more. “Wake, up…” As seconds ticked by, the child remained motionless before her body suddenly began to convulse. Shaking on the bed, Eveline’s eyes slowly began to crack open as she coughed in pain.

Crying on her mattress, the child looked up in confusion as she saw the strange white man above her, his eyes captivating her childlike mind. “There, there… that pain you’re feeling, tell me where it is. You needn’t say anything. Just blink for me. Can you do that Mrs. Eveline? Blink once for yes, or twice for no.” He informed.

Feeling her eyes slowly beginning to close, Eveline was quickly brought back as she felt a gentle poke on the side of her neck. It wasn’t painful, but, it was enough to keep her present. Watching the child closely, the man smiled as he watched her blink for him.

“Good. Now, is the pain you feel in your head, throat, ears, or eyes?” Blinking silently as her breathing came out scratchy, the man nodded. “Very good Eveline. Now, is this pain anywhere else?” Blinking again, the stranger hummed.

“Chest? Yes… stomach? Also yes, good to know.  Anywhere from the waist down? No, that’s good to hear.” As he listed off different parts, he kept his glowing eyes on the girl as he let her focus on them. Her attention was imperative.

As he finished asking her questions, the pale man sighed before shaking his head. “Such a tragedy indeed. It seems you’ve developed an infection, one that’s burrowed deep into your chest cavity. If someone had caught the symptoms sooner perhaps treatment would have been possible. You, humans, are rather useless at the time when you’re needed the most aren’t you?” He chuckled sadly.

“…”

Opening his eyes back up, the white-haired man frowned before lowering his head towards Eveline. Not even he could hear what she had just tried to say. Staring up at the man weakly, Eve’s faded eyes sulked as she tried to speak again, her voice all but a rusty scratching. It had abandoned her some days ago… and now, this was all that was left.

“Am… I going, t-to… to die…?” She wheezed out painfully. Pulling his head back, the man frowned as he saw her looking up at him hopefully. ‘Hope… how, sad.’ Closing his eyes, he sighed before shaking his head. “Yes, I’m afraid you are.” Expecting some sort of a reaction from the girl, the mains brow soon rose as she gently closed her eyes.

“Giving up already? For shame my dear heiress. If someone says you’re going to die, do you just simply roll over like a dog in defeat?” He mocked. Opening her eyes slowly, Eve looked up at the man wordlessly as she heard him sighing once more.

“No, on the contrary… you’re, happy? How peculiar.” He mumbled before a cruel smile passed over his face once his features. “No, you like all the attention you’ve been receiving from your parents, now that’s dark. But, if it comes to an end, at least you got what you really wanted, now didn’t you?” He hummed. Seeing a look of sadness pass over the younger girl’s features the man sighed once more. I guess that will just have to change with time. You best learn that term now rather than later. Time… This word no longer holds meaning for you. Now, it’s time, for your new life to begin. That is unless you’d rather simply lay here and die. The choice is yours.” He informed.

Staring up into the man’s red eyes tiredly, Eveline raised her shaking hand towards him before it fell against her side. Smiling for the first time since he came, the older gentleman chuckled before nodding his head. “Very well. It’s time for you to sleep now, Mrs. Eveline. This will be the last nap you’ll ever take.” He whispered.

Picking up her limp hand, the man’s finger moved over to the child’s arm before he traced his nail across her wrist. Immediately a cut broke apart as her skin was sliced as easily as if it were butter. Bringing her hand up to his face, the man gave her blood a quick sniff before scowling. “Indeed… such a shame. You were in the still in the sapling of your life… But, it can’t be helped. I just hope you’ll learn to accept yourself as I have. Now, go to sleep…” He whispered softly.

 

Crying softly as her wrist stung in pain, Eveline’s vision slowly started to fade before her eyes closed, and her mind stopped…

 

It was time to sleep…

 

 

_ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

Moving a small red handkerchief over his lips, the pale-haired stranger wiped his lips dry as he closed the door behind him. “Such a shame indeed…” Looking towards the burlier man leaning against the wall beside him, he sighed.

“Well Mr. Ventris, I’ve done what I could for her. I’ll be back in a weeks’ time. Good or bad, I’ll expect compensation. Understood?” He informed, his eyes ever glowing. Nodding his head in a trance, the man stared off distantly as he continued to rest his back on the wall.

Stepping past his host, the stranger smiled silently as he felt his lips twitching into a grin. He couldn’t help it. “Thanks for the tea… and, for the meal.” He chuckled. Leaving the man alone now, he soon vanished from sight before leaving the estate entirely.

As minutes passed by the entranced man soon felt consciousness coming back to him as he felt a gentle touching on his forearm. “S-Sir Ventris?” Blinking a few times, the raven-haired man looked down at his door maid before shaking his head. What the devil was going on, why was he outside his daughters quarters.

Wait…

Lifting his head up slowly, the larger man tore himself away from his startled maid before opening the door to his child’s room… before all blood drained from his face as he rushed in.

 

“EVELINE!”

 

With a scream of sorrow echoing through the whole house, the lady of the manor, and the staff that served them were all awoken in an instant, as the cry of anguish rang out all around…

 

Their heiress... was dead…

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

*“No one knew what transpired that night but me. Some of the staff thought I had finally succumbed to my illness. Others thought that my heart had simply given out; my pulse had been weakening by the day. But, it didn’t matter in the end. All that mattered, was that their precious *heiress* was dead…


The problem is...

 

I didn’t stay dead…"*

 

 

~

 

Standing in a large crowd, both Lord and lady were present in their daughter's chambers, along with the flood of staff along behind them as they looked at the head nurse of the compound resting over Eveline’s bed. Gazing down at the child’s unmoving form, different emotions played across everyone’s features, but none were more prominent than the anger and grief stretched across both Mr. and Mrs. Ventris, as they stared down at their daughter’s stiffened form.

Pulling a pure white sheet over her face and covering her up, the nurse turned her head away sadly before looking back up at her Master. “I-I-I’m sorry lord… But, I can’t find a pulse. I’ve been trying for hours. She’s gone.” The woman whispered. Hearing a small chorus of crying from the room, the raven-haired man stoned his face as he pulled his crying wife into him.

Turning away quickly, the man clenched his fist before walking out of the room startling most present by his abrupt departure. “Begin clearing out the room Caitriona… I want all her things removed. Everything.” He whispered before pushing past his staff with his wife in tow.

Looking at her Master leaving in a hurry, the redhead kept a stoic look to herself but nodded none the less. “Everyone… go back to your daily duties… let the lord grieve in peace. I’ll attend to him for the day.” She informed before clapping her hands.

As people began filing out of the room, the Maid soon lowered her eyes as she was left alone. Looking over towards the bed where Eveline lay, the woman sighed before shaking her head. She was so young… getting to work immediately, the woman began picking up the toys around her first as she tidied up the room. It would be easier to transport the items if they weren’t littering the ground.

Moving the toys into her chest, the redhead deposited them first before moving over towards the girl’s fabric collection. Designing was in the Ventris blood, and it came at a very young age. Eveline had in fact been the youngest one yet to begin work on the family business. Shame she couldn’t continue. Mr. Ventris had high hopes for her.

Rolling up the long red fabric sheet that had stitched lines across it, the Maid’s eyes soon widened as a quiet creaking noise registered in her ears. Sighing, the woman turned around expecting to see a member of the staff still present after she dismissed them… but what she saw made her blood run cold.

Dropping the loom of cloth on the ground in shock, the auburn-haired maid looked towards the bed at the far end of the room… as something rose beneath the sheets. Stretched upwards beneath the bedcovers, the moving form shifted around before its attention shifted towards her. As two glowing red orbs flared to life beneath the sheet, all blood drained from the woman’s face, before consciousness left her.

Falling to the ground as she passed out, the maid hit the floor hard alerting others to her noise. As the cloth slowly began to pull itself down, a mop of disarrayed orange blonde hair peeked out beneath it, with a ghostly pale hand pulled the fabric away.

Blinking slowly as her eyes shined brightly, Eveline looked around her room, as a feeling she had never felt before embodied her. She felt, hollow... What was going on? Rushing into the room, two maids looked inside the chamber in a hurry before their eyes locked on with Eveline’s red ones… the same amount of shock hitting them just as it had Caitriona.

Staggering back into the hallways, the woman shuddered before their voices rang out. Screaming for the lord of the house, voices across the manor broke out as the impossible happened. Eveline was alive! It was a miracle, their heiress was alive!

 

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

Chewing her food with gusto, the blonde child quickly swallowed what she was fed before opening her mouth back up once more as the maid to her right side fed her hurriedly. She was completely malnourished because of her illness but miraculously, her apatite had come back. In fact, none of the staff had ever even seen her as hungry as this before!

She was always a picky eater but that didn’t seem to be the case now. Pacing back and forth as he watched his daughter, Mr. Ventris was speechless as he continued to cup his mouth. This, it was without a doubt, a gift from God. Somehow, their little girl was alive, and not just that, recovering!

Her fever was gone, her haggard look was all but nonexistent, her appetite as shown was very much back. She was healing. Shaking his head as he tried to find words for what was happening before him, the man finally sighed before joining his wife as she kneeled next to the child.

Looking up confused as she was latched onto by her father, Eveline’s eyes lit up as she hugged him back. Her parents didn’t usually show her this much affection, she was ecstatic! Resting his head against his wife’s as she continued to softly sob, the raven-haired man looked back up at the blonde as he studied her face.

Something, something happened. He just didn’t know what. But, whatever it was… two things had changed. Her skin was still its same sickly white color it had been. But more than that was her eyes. Her once bright and blue orbs that glimmered like the oceans alongside their port town were now bloody pools of… eerie red…

Putting his hand on the back of his daughters head, he sighed once more before pulling her down and giving her forehead a kiss. “Eat as much as you can Eveline. And stay in bed. I don’t know what happened but the last thing I want is to see you fall back into… whatever this sickness was. Understood?” He whispered sternly.

Nodding her head respectfully, Eveline smiled back up at her father as he rose before he turned to leave. “I want all staff at her beck and call. If she needs anything, give it to her! Understood?” He snapped quickly, the unison response of the room resonating as he left. For now, he had something he needed to do.

 

He needed to find out, just what the good Doctor from the night before had done to his little girl…

 

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

 

Laughing as she ran around their rose garden, Eveline let out quiet screams as she was chased by a pair of the maids who had been playing with her over the past two hours. Out of bed for a day and she was already more energetic than she had ever been. This truly was a miracle.

Sitting on their deck as they observed her curiously, both Mr. and Mrs. Ventris were quiet as they watched their child playing. There was something wrong with her. It had been little things at first that hadn’t added up… but she was their daughter. They could see right through her. Something was very wrong.

Eveline was a shut-in for a better word. She kept to herself, and to her studies and never seemed to want to play with the other children that they had introduced to her. But, here she was now running from the staff as they played some kind of a game.

Looking at his daughter crossed, the burly man laced his fingers as he watched her closely. It had just happened again. Running in circles around the tiring maids, the blonde grinned giddily as she let them get close to her before she suddenly dived under one of the maid’s dresses and took off in the opposite direction much to their dismay. She was like a fount of boundless energy now… and a completely different little girl.

“What should we do…? S-She’s not still sick, is she?” Looking over at his wife, the raven-haired man kept a solemn face as he watched her closely. “No… but something's definitely wrong. I have someone looking into this… We just have to be patient. And we have to make sure she’s happy. We don’t know if her illness will come back or not… so let her have her fun for now. She deserves at least that.” He muttered.

Nodding her head, the blonde haired woman, frowned as she looked towards her daughter as well. She was never as active with Eveline as her husband was, someone had to be in charge of their manufacturing. But, even so… she knew this was wrong.

As they both watched their daughter, however, something soon became very apparent to them. She didn’t seem to like the sun when it touched her. Watching the little blonde as she ran out from under the shadow of a cloud, the bright rays shined down on the child before she stiffened. Rubbing her skin as if it were itching, Eveline quickly ran back under the shade before she began running with the Maids once more.

The subtle interaction didn’t happen often… but, it did enough for the perturbed man to take notice.

 

And notice he did…

 

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

 

“I’ve tried to find out what I could like you asked, but, he’s a ghost.”

 

Staring across his regal desk as he looked on at his private tracker, Mr. Ventris scowled before shaking his head. “How can you find nothing? He’s a white-haired man as tall as me! People like that don’t just wander about unnoticed. Someone had to have seen him!” He snapped.

Crossing his arms, the trench-coat-clad individual nodded his head before taking out a small notepad. “All I’ve got was that whoever this guy is; he came in from the south. He traveled by night alone as hard to believe as that is. A guardsman at our neighboring town, Garsburrow, said he remembered seeing someone like this wander in briefly but as quick as he came he was gone. He did mention his eyes seemed to almost glow though. Red if I remember correctly. But, there’s not much to say on the word of an overworked gatekeeper.  Whoever this *Doctor* is, he likes his privacy. I’m afraid without some type of a lead there honestly not much I can do from here on out. I’ll keep eyes and ears open on the surrounding villages for any rumors I might hear but until I get a hit, my hands are tied on this one. There just isn’t enough Sir. ” He muttered, his words being reacted to as expected as he saw anger flash across the raven-haired man’s face.

“Get, out…” Bowing his head, the tracker nodded knowing to leave when he was ordered. A man like the Ventris head was not one to trifle with. He could back up his words with his actions… Not to mention he was on his payroll.

Stepping out of the venting man’s study, the Ventris head clenched his fists angrily as he was left alone. Despite all of his attempts he simply couldn’t locate the man who had done something to his little girl. He could remember it vividly now… and he was furious.

Somehow this stranger had stumbled into their family’s home. Demanded luxuries in the midst of midnight, and made him leave his daughter's side as he did who knows what to her while she was alone! And now… now something was very wrong with her.

Rubbing his brow the man sighed before looking out the large bay window behind him. It had been three days since this event took place in his ancestral household, and now, just four more days remained till the stranger supposedly came back for… compensation…

Narrowing his eyes, the raven-haired man stood up before making his way towards the door. He’d be damned if he let this man near his daughter again. And he’d be damned to pay him even a single coin until he told him just what he had done to his heiress…

As he made his way to the door, however, the man paused briefly as something clicked in his mind. ‘Glowing red eyes…’ Furrowing his brow, the man closed his office door before making his way towards their families study. He needed to find a book. Something he had personally never read before…

But, if whatever that guardsmen had said before was true, then there was now a clue he had that he didn’t have before.

 

His own daughter seemed to be afflicted with this strange anomaly to…

 

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

Walking up to her Master's study with trepidation, Caitriona carried a small tea set on the palm of her right hand before gently rapping on the chamber door. Waiting for a response she didn’t expect to hear, the maid lowered her head before opening the door anyways.

“Sir, I’ve brought you something to drink. Perhaps a break is in order?” She muttered softly as she peered in. Staring at the mountain of books in front of her, as the once clean and tidy desk was covered from head to toe in parchment and tomes, the redheaded woman stepped forward as she made her way around the mess.

Looking past the small hill of papers, her eyes soon landed on a much disheveled Ventris, and the man’s eyes scanned the book he was reading religiously. Moving her hand to the table, the woman gently pushed a small pile aside before setting the tea set down so it could rest.

“Sir… it’s been two days since you’ve locked yourself in your library. The Mistress is getting worried… and, and the young heiress has requested you. She misses you, sir.” Caitriona whispered. As her eyes scanned some of the words on the pages, however, the maid frowned as she understood why he seemed so entranced by their words.

Was this real? Staring at the book distantly, the man’s hand rose weakly before he flicked it signaling for her to leave him be. Bowing respectfully, the redhead nodded before making her way out of the chamber. She knew he was determined to figure this out. And regretfully, that meant he would do anything and everything within his power to do so. She just hoped everything would pan out properly. There seemed to be a dark cloud hanging over this manors head as of the young heiress’s recovery. Not everyone noticed it… but as the head of the maid, and the one charged with catering to their home, she did…

 

And if Mr. Ventris’s assumption was right… creatures of the night needed to be handled very carefully.

 

 

Especially those of Vampires…

 

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

*"And so it finally came… the day the stranger said he would return. Regretfully, I was unaware of this interaction. No, I found out sometime later… and I despise my parents for their actions. If they had gone about this differently, perhaps my future may have been… something more.

But, no… The past is the past… and it is written in stone, and, in blood…"*

 

~

 

Sitting in his lounge chair in the main hall of his manor, Mr. Ventis eyed the clock on the wall as he looked at it darkly, clenching his fists as the minutes ticked by. It wouldn’t be much longer, he could feel it. That same trepidation from the first time the stranger had come had returned.

It was almost as if he was here even now. Taking a deep breath to steady himself, the man rested his head back as he crossed his arms. Something was going to go down this night. One of two things… If it was his assumption, then that made things worse than they had to be. If not, then the good *Doctor* had a lot of explaining to do. Either way, there was still a plague hanging over his daughter... when one left another took its place. He planned on ridding her of it tonight...

Moving his arms down as he felt the hard metal against his waist, Ventris head nodded to himself before looking back to the clock. Five till midnight… why must it be so late…? Leaning back in his chair as he tried to calm his nerves, the man soon felt his eyelids beginning to close, before sharp and succinct knock, echoed throughout the entire manor.

Jolting up in an instant, Mr. Ventris narrowed his eyes as the knock echoed twice more. Waiting to hear anything else, he didn't. Looking towards the rafters above him, he nodded before making his way over towards the main hall.

Stepping into view as he eyes the front entrance to his estate, the burly man clenched his knuckled before taking a step forward, then another, and another. He could feel the weight in his feet as he walked. It was fear…

Adjusting his suit, a habit that all Ventris seemed to do regardless of genetics, the man combed back his hair before standing in front of the door. Reaching for the handle, his hand almost touched the brass before a loud crackle of lightning struck the skies.

Shivering from the weathered warning, the man took a deep breath before continuing. Opening the front door, Mr. Ventris eyed who he expected to see. Standing tall, clouded in black, and dripping from head to toe, was the good Doctor…

Raising his head up, the red-eyed man grinned beneath his coverings before bowing his head. “May I come in?” Stepping to the side as he presented the entrance, the raven-haired man glared at him as he saw him standing still.

“And if I said no?” Chuckling beneath his cowl, the white-haired stranger closed his eyes before turning around. “Then, I suppose I’d have to leave… now wouldn’t I? but, I don’t think you’re going to say that. How fairs the young Heiress?” Clenching his fists, Mr. Ventris breathed deeply through his nose before stepping back into his hallway. “Come in…”

Turning around, the strangers smile never faltered as he followed in tow. Shrugging off his cloak once inside, the white-haired man shook his hair as he freed himself of the light droplets of water that had fallen onto him. “The weather around here is truly terrifying. I can’t understand how you can bare it. One minute, it’s so nice and dreary… the next…” He paused before raising his eyes to meet his host's brown ones.

“Savage. Truly, horrific if you ask me. May I make a request of you?” Looking over his shoulder at the Doctor, the raven-haired man nodded. “Tea would be just lovely. I’ve been walking for a such a long time. Perhaps that lovely young miss you employ could fetch me some. She would be a treasure to see again.” He chuckled.

Stepping over to his main hall, the raven-haired man said nothing as he walked in, his voice soon ringing out once he was out of sight. “There's no need. I prepared some already…” Raising his brow, the red-eyed stranger grinned from ear to ear before stepping forward.

“My, my… you flatter me. You must have been expectant of my arrival. It’s almost-“Before another word could be uttered from the man, however, as he walked into the room something suddenly fell over him. Watching the sickening grin on the white-haired man’s face as a massive blade fell down from the rafters, the crash echoed through the manor rocking the foundation to its core.

Stepping over towards his chair, Mr. Ventris glared at the large guillotine as he stared at the entrance of his chambers. Looking back up at the rafters, or more specifically, at the four men who had been operating the deadly trap, he sighed. “Good job, we got him.” Right or not, he wasn’t going to take chances… not when his daughter's life might be on the line.

“As if… you were paranoid…” Pausing mid-step, the raven-haired man, along with everyone else in the room paled as they heard a sickeningly sweet chuckling coming from between the blade embedded in the ground. Turning back around, the burly man clenched his fists as his worst fears came true.

 

He had been right…

 

Flicking off the splinters over his red collar, the white-haired man, looked over his shirt before his head slowly turned to the Ventris head, the men up above cursing as they saw the creature of legends. It really was one. No human could have predicted that let alone avoided it... “I take it that means I’m no longer welcome here? For shame… and after I did everything I could to save your precious little girl.” He smiled.

Breathing deeply as he kept his composure intact, a feat none of the others in the room were capable of currently, Mr. Ventris stepped over to the table near his chair before picking up one of the two teacups that had been placed out.

“And tell me… how does turning my only daughter… into a Monster fall under, saving her?” He whispered through his teeth before taking a shallow sip from his drink. Walking further into the room, the white-haired man, smiled further as he neared the other man.

“You’ve scoured the land, looking far and wide, trying to find anyone… anything, to save your heiress. You just wanted her to be better, after all, the legacy of the famed Ventris must live on through her. She is your first born, as is the tradition.” He remarked calmly before crossing his arms. For a Monster, he was certainly calm about being found out. Though, why shouldn’t he be? He could kill any of them anytime he pleased.

“And just why would a Vampire want to have anything to do with us, humans?” Grinning wider as his eyes slowly began to glow, the good *Doctor* chuckled, before his voice turned into a shallow sigh. “My motives are not of your concern. Eveline, Ventris, is cured. A Doctor came, and rid her of her illness before being compensated and leaving. No more need be known. As for that compensation, however…” He trailed off before walking around the other side of the table.

Turning the small dish around so the other cup was facing the Monster before him, Mr. Ventris reached for the teapot in front of him before refilling his cup. “Let me guess, a claim to the Ventris name, something written and documented legally? You Vampires aren’t all mindless savages, right? No… you like doing things slowly since you have all the time in your rotting world…” He whispered bitterly.

Taking the teacup presented to him, the Vampire sighed before bringing the tea up to his nose. Giving it a tentative sniff, he smiled before shaking his head. “I want her.” Stiffening in an instant, Mr. Ventris looked at the man in front of him shocked before feeling his composure slipping.

Gripping his cup harder, he growled beneath his breath as he heard the subtle laughter beneath the monster's breath. “You… want, my daughter?” He spat out. Nodding as casually as if their conversation were normal, the vampire sighed before bringing the tea cup up to his lips once more.

“Indeed. She’s no good to you currently. She’ll need to be taught, properly. This is how we function. Once I have her trained, she’ll return, and your Heiress will go on rightfully, and with it, taking the Ventris Company under her wing when the time is right. Your name will live on, and your claim to the land will prosper exponentially. Not a very bad deal if you ask me. The other nobles I’ve approached didn’t think so.” He smiled.

Feeling the porcelain crack in his hands, Mr. Ventris glared at the man before him before setting the chipped cup down, a light trail of blood dripping from his palm as he stared back at the Vampire. “No… you can’t have her. I won’t give my daughter, to the likes of you…” He growled.

Sighing, the red-eyed man lowered his glass before simply shaking his head. “And, you expected this to be a choice, why? Mrs. Eveline will be accompanying me back to… I’ll keep that to myself for now. As I’ve said, she will return, in time. But, one way or another she will be coming with me. We can do this sooner rather than later though… you don’t look so good.” He remarked cheekily.

Feeling his arms trembling, the raven-haired man tried to keep himself composed but it was finally gone. Falling to his knee’s as he spat out blood, the Ventris head grit his teeth in pain as he saw the smug vampire staring down at him.

“I must say you truly are an interesting individual. Poisoning your own tea, and drinking it to make it appear safe to ingest? Now that’s crafty. I assume the antidote is close by? But, moving on, there’s one flaw with that plan. If I don’t drink it, and you do, then only one of us will be poisoned.” He smiled.

Cupping his chest as he felt the burning sensation inside him, the raven-haired man panted softly as he tried to bare it. How did he know? Keeping the cup in hand, the Vampire walked around the table before kneeling down in front of the downed man as he watched him in amusement.

“If you knew I was a vampire, I would have assumed you would have done your research Mr. Ventris. For shame, for shame indeed. Our sense of smell is so keen, that if even a single blade of grass were cut in a rainstorm, we would be able to pinpoint it!” He muttered darkly.

Bringing the cup back up to his nose, he sniffed the tea once more before sighing. “Earl Gray, my favorite… what a shame indeed. But, we mustn’t waste. That would be a sin,” He grinned before bringing the tea cup up to his lips, and tilting it back.

Watching in shock as the Vampire willing sipped the poison-laced drink, the raven-haired man grit his teeth as he watched it happen in front of him. What was going on?! Finishing his drink in a single gulp, the man let out a raspy gasp before licking his lips.

“Not bad, your poison didn’t alter the taste. What was it, cyanide? Deadly Nightshade perhaps?” He grinned. Shaking his head, the man set the cup down on the table behind him as he continued to smile. “I’m sorry to inform you though Mr. Ventris… poisons won’t work on my kind. Our saliva filters toxins and our blood purify them. All you’ve done was simply given my drink a little spice.” He laughed.

Looking back up at the rafters at the group of men still paralyzed by his presence, the Vampire sighed before shaking his head. “A homemade guillotine, a small hunting party of novices, and a poisoned drink? I’m almost insulted. I pegged you as a wise man… and this is all you’ve given me in return. Well… Regardless, it’s time you paid up.” He muttered darkly before standing back up.

Moving over towards the door, the Vampire paused as he heard a shallow coughing behind him, along with a voice. “I-It wasn’t… nightshade…” Feeling his smile grown, the red-eyed man turned heel before looking back at the raven haired man.

“I like you. I really do. You keep surprising me. What is this? Are you attempting to mock me after you, yourself drank your own poison?” He laughed. This was like a play! Standing up shakily, Mr. Ventris fell against his chair before his bloodstained lips twitched into a cruel smile.

“Do… do you feel it yet? You’ve killed yourself you arrogant bastard…” He spat out weakly. Scowling at the man in front of him, the Vampire’s brow rose, before feeling something. Blinking as his stomach began to heat up, the white-haired man looked down at his shirt before grunting. What?!

Crying out in pain, the Vampire clenched his stomach in agony before falling onto a knee. He felt like his insides were burning from the inside out with hellfire! Looking up as his vision slowly began to blur and shift all around, the Vampire growled before standing back up in difficulty.

“W-What, d-did you do!” He snarled, the room suddenly creaking as the walls began to shake. Smirking as he felt himself slowly settling into the pain, Mr. Ventris wiped off his lips with his wrist before smiling back at the enraged man.

“It wasn’t cyanide either… It was aconitum. I did do my research. You bloodsuckers don’t like wolfsbane that much do you?” He grinned. Glaring at the man intensely, the Vampire lifted his arm in the air before the raven-haired man shot back into the wall behind him. Stumbling forward in agony, the white-haired Vampire screamed in pain as he thrashed around.

He... was wrong? He fell for it… hook line and sicker. Impossible! He was just a human! “Now!” Hearing an order barked from the struggling man in front of him, the Vampire looked up wirily in confusion before his eyes widened. Jumping down from the ceiling, the once cowardly men now wore stone faces as they lunged at him with glistening spears.

‘W-What…’ Jolting upright as he was impaled by multiple rods, the Vampire coughed as blood fell spat from his mouth. ‘B-But… y-you’re human's…’ Panting tiredly against the wall, Mr. Ventris stood up slowly as he groaned in pain. “You, you underestimate the power of house Ventris… we may be a family of designers and tailors… but were not those nobles you speak of.” He spat angrily.

The house of Ventris didn’t take demands… and they didn’t respond to threats well either, be it from humans, or from Monsters. Stumbling forward as he eyes the pinned Vampire on the ground, the raven-haired man pulled out a long knife from his belt before flipping it over.

“You’re arrogant… and pretentious… you’re more like the nobles I’ve seen strutting around this town. And I know how to deal with them… just like I know how to deal with you.” He growled before stepping closer. Looking on in pain, the Vampire was still speechless by all that had just transpired.

He had fallen for it all. The fake trap… the scared men… the poisoned tea. It was all set up in a way he would fall for it. Glaring at the man moving closer towards him, the weakened Vampire tried to raise his arm up, but the spear puncturing it prevented even that.

“You… are m-making a big, mistake…” He whispered shrilly. Standing over the Vampire, the battered man shook his head before flipping the knife back over in his hand. “No, I’m killing a Monster.” Plunging the knife down into his white locks, the Vampire jolted before the red in his eyes began to fade.

With what little strength he had left, the Vampire couldn’t help but grin, even now. “Y-Y-You’ve, k-killed her… t-twice…” Falling back on the ground as the pain from before came back, Mr. Ventris collapsed as he watched the Vampire’s head hang limply, the rest of the men letting go of their spears as he fell to the ground lifelessly, before his body slowly began to turn black.

Watching the bizarre interaction as the Monster literally turned to ash in front of his very eyes, the spears that had once been embedded into him fell to the ground with a clatter before all was silent once more. The storm was over, and with it, the night…

 

It was all, over…

 

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

Looking at his head nurse as she gave him more to drink, Mr. Ventris sighed as the pain from before began to fade. He had to get a mortician to administer the proper dose of aconitum to hit tea kettle. Any more and he probably would have died. Thankfully the stuff was stronger on Vampires and for that matter Monsters in general then it was on humans.

‘That, and pride…’ He expected the Vampire to know something was off, but, he boasted so openly, even till the end. But now, it was done. Well… almost… Looking across the nursing room towards the open door, the raven-haired man stood up much to his Nurses dismay before making his way into the hallway.

Stumbling forward tiredly, Mr. Ventris looked on as he saw his head maid, Caitriona standing guard outside his daughter’s chambers as ordered. “Let me see her…” Frowning, the redheaded woman nodded before stepping aside.

 

She had already told him… but… he needed to see it for himself.

 

Looking into his daughter’s bedroom, the young Heiress sat up in her bed tiredly as she yawned from having just woken up. Upon noticing her father’s presence, however, Eveline smiled happily before waving to her daddy, her red eyes glowing a bright shade of crimson, as she looked on at him in happiness.

He had prayed, prayed before the night was over, that everything would go back to normal with the mysterious Doctors death… but, that wasn’t the case. It wasn’t over, and, it never would be. Eveline… his daughter…

 

She was still, a Vampire…

 

 

 

To be continued…

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

 

Props to F.W once again, this chapter got me really hyped for what Eve's going to be going through now that she stuck like this. Some ideas came up in the past but honestly, not a lot was really told to me beyond her personality. I can't wait to see what you do Senpai!

 

I hope to be back again soon, bye everyone!