- Text Size +

Stand and Deliver!

Standing in the foyer of the Omega Pi house, the unsettling feeling in Stan’s gut did not go away even though the gray haired woman did. Why did she set him off?

“There they are,” announced Monroe, extending a hand up the stairs toward two young women, one a very attractive brown haired girl, the other an unbelievably beautiful blonde who simply captivated his attention. Monroe herself was gorgeous, but paled in comparison to the other blonde girl.

“Stan?” asked the brunette, tone authoritarian.

Tearing his eyes off Brooklynn, he looked at Allie and nodded, “Um yeah, sorry, I’m here looking for Oliver or the girl here he’s seeing, Sersei,” he said, clearing his throat.

Frowning, “I’m sorry Stan, you missed them by about an hour, I think they decided to head up the coast for a few days,” stated Allie.

Brooklynn glanced back up the stairs.

Stan got the impression the blonde girl’s attention was divided. Was Oliver up there? Turning to the other girl, the leggy brunette, “Sorry, I didn’t get your name, but I’m guessing you’re the gal in charge here, Allie? Am I right?” he queried, extending a hand.

Looking at the hand, she did not take it, crossing her arms across her breasts instead. “It is still fairly early and I think perhaps you should leave,” she urged.

Brooklynn looked at him, green eyes narrowing. “Go,” she directed.

Getting the very definite sense he was interrupting something, Stan raised his hands, “Whoa, slow down a moment here ladies, I’m just want to talk to Oliver, that’s all,” he explained.

“Obviously he’s not here,” the blonde declared angrily.

The anger in her face making the already stunning girl only more achingly beautiful, “Sersei then?” he asked, wishing he had gone to university instead of going into construction.

Allie smiled condescendingly, “Like we’ve already told you, she isn’t here either, so please,” she stated, enunciating her words slowly, “leave.”

Stan chuckled, “Sure, I’ll leave, after I’ve had a chance to speak to Oliver,” he replied, not moving.

“Are you stupid? He’s not here,” Brooklynn snapped.

“Oliver!” Stan called out.

Turning to Monroe, “Call the police,” Allie instructed. “Tell them we have an intruder.”

“OLIVER!” Stan hollered over top of the girls.

The gray haired woman appeared in the hall, moving effortlessly toward the foyer, her fluid movement making almost seem as if she were gliding, “What is all the fuss?” she asked, smiling.

Looking at her flawless face, that knot in Stan’s gut returned. There was no doubt in his mind she was the same woman he had seen when he was a boy. The hairstyle might have changed, but those eyes, green like a glacier fed lake and luminous, practically glowing, he would never forget those eyes. How could it possibly be so? That was thirty years ago and she did not look a day over thirty. It could not be.

“Sorry Miss Frost, but this man refuses to leave,” Allie stated.

Edith turned her head to look at the stubborn man, those green eyes boring into him, “Is there a problem?” she asked, lips parting into a civil smile.

Stan cleared his throat. “I’m just here to try and have a chat with Oliver or Sersei for that matter,” he explained, manufacturing a smile he hoped appeared genuine.

Edith’s smile widened, “I’m afraid what the girl have told you is true, neither Oliver nor Sersei is available to speak with you at this time,” she said calmly, placing her hand in the center of his chest.

Run! “Oh,” he murmured, glancing down at the delicate fingers.

“Sersei should be returning shortly and I’m sure the girls wouldn’t mind if you waited. Let it never be said the sisters of Omega Pi are inhospitable,” she said, withdrawing her hand.

Stan felt confused, unable to think. What? Having been in boxing for a bunch of years, the sensation he felt was almost the same as being clipped on the chin by a surprise uppercut.

Turning to Allie, “Why don’t you take our guest into the sitting room, he’s looking a little peaked. Something to drink maybe?” Edith suggested.

His legs felt leaden, heavy. There was something wrong. Shaking his head, the motion making him feel queasy, “No, it’s okay, I should go,” he replied, staggering back a step and bracing himself against the wall near the door.

“This way Stan,” Allie said, stepping in beside him, grabbing his arm.

Regarding him, “Stan?” Edith inquired, angling her head.

Brooklynn stepped in on the side opposite Allie, sliding her hands under his arm and pressing herself against him.

Stan knew he was reeling, on the ropes. Twisting free of the girls, he moved toward closer to the door. When did they close it? He could feel their eyes on him.

Open mouth smile on her face, “Looking for Oliver Haynes, you wouldn’t happen to be Stan Taylor perchance, Samantha Haynes’ current beau, would you?” Edith inquired.

Fumbling for the knob, Stan ignored her, pulling the door open before shuffle-stepping out onto the veranda. The whole world seemed to be spinning. Run!

Edith followed him out, “You really appear to be in no condition to drive Mr. Taylor,” she said.

Stumbling down the stairs, he righted himself as best he could, but it was hard to breathe and he could not seem to swallow.

Edith walked to the top of the stairs and stopped, folding her arms under her breasts, she looked down on him, coy little smile on her lovely face. “I really do think it might be wiser if you were to just come inside,” she invited, the other girls assembling on either side of her on the veranda.

“Why do I feel like this,” he mumbled, dropping to knees after only a few steps. The spasm in his stomach made him puke, spattering vomit half on the walk, half on the grass. Swiping a hand across his mouth, he forced himself back up onto unsteady feet, taking a half dozen halting paces, vision swimming.

Watching the man struggle, an amused expression on her face, “Are you sure you wouldn’t rather come inside?” Edith asked.

Trying to quicken his pace, Stan hazarded a glance back over his shoulder, the motion making his belly threaten to heave again. What had come over him? Had he been poisoned?

“Should we go get him?” Allie inquired.

Edith looked up and down the block and shook her head, “Let him run for the moment,” she stated, smile vanishing from her face.

Brooklynn turned to Allie, “Can I go?” she asked, desperately wanting to get back upstairs to see if Cerys was awake, and more importantly, whether Cam was in her room.

Allie nodded, eyes still watching Stan as he pulled himself into the minivan parked just up the street.

Edith’s eyes narrowed. There was something extremely unusual about that man and it was something she could not quite put her finger on. Committing the license plate to memory, she remain, watching intently as the vehicle pulled away.