- Text Size +

Tie Score

While the two young men walked toward the Omega Pi house, Cam pretty much interrogated Oliver about the proprietress of the shop.

“Vesper? It even sounds like an old lady name, Eleanor of Aquitaine, or something, you know what I mean?” Cam asked.

“I don’t know, names go in and out of vogue, who can say?” replied Oliver, shrugging his shoulders.

“Says the Dickensian Oliver Twist, please sir, may I have another?” joked Cam.

“Cam rhymes with spam,” Oliver reported, “And I don’t like spam!” he added, doing his best Terry Jones waitress impersonation from the Monty Python skit.

Cam guffawed, “I love it,” he replied, using a contrived English accent.

Oliver chuckled, “I wasn’t sure you’d get the reference,” he said as they arrived at the house.

“No, I got it. How do I look?” he asked.

“Good,” Oliver said before the duo moved up the walkway.

At the door, Cam knocked thrice in staccato fashion, nothing trite as ‘Shave and a Haircut’.

The door opened and this time the young woman opening it was tall, almost six feet, long dark hair drawn back, and very piercing blue eyes. “Yes?” she inquired, a frown manifesting at the corners of her full lipped mouth.

“Cameron here to see Sersei if she’s available?” he said politely, flashing the beautiful girl a broad smile.

“And the name Cameron should mean something to me?” she replied disdainfully.

“Oh sorry, I’m her brother,” Cam answered.

“And you?” she asked, turning her penetrating gaze to Oliver.

Pointing at the wristband, “Um, Oliver,” he said, feeling very much like a mouse under the eyes of a raptor.

Seeing the little rubber band, a smile crossed her face, the stern expression disappearing, “I’ll check and see if she’s in,” she advised, smile growing slightly before she closed the door.

Sersei appeared, “Hello,” she said.

Cam grinned and nodded, “Glad we caught you here,” he said.

Smiling wryly, she shook her head, eyes roaming over to Oliver and giving him a wink before looking back at her brother, “What is it you want this time?” she inquired.

Cam put his hand on Oliver’s shoulder, “Actually it was Oliver who wanted to come by in person and say thanks for providing the tip that turned into a job for him, he was just a little shy. I couldn’t make it, so he went instead and got the job at the candle place,” he stated, surprising Oliver.

“Um, yeah, Vesper seemed really nice and I guess just thanks,” he blurted.

Sersei rolled her eyes, “Cam I set that up specifically for you,” she said, shaking her head.

“I’m sorry,” apologized Oliver, expression collapsing. “I’ll let her know I can’t take the job if it was meant for Cam,” he added, frowning slightly.

Sersei softened, “No, no, it’s okay. If Vesper was willing to take you on, then that’s okay,” she said with a conciliatory smile. “I was just trying to help out a former sister looking for a little extra help. I’ll just have to go back to the well and see if there is something else I can do to try and help Cam find a job,” she added.

There was a twitch at the corners of Cam’s mouth, him able to repress a sour look before it appeared, “This lady Vesper, she’s an Omega Pi?” he inquired.

Sersei nodded, “She graduated like twelve years ago or so,” she answered.

“I’m sorry I dropped the ball on this one,” Cam apologized, shaking his head sheepishly.

She chuckled, “Like I said, as long as she’s getting the help she needs, that’s all that counts in the end,” she stated, cupping a hand to her brother’s cheek.

“I made a point of coming by here a couple days ago to tell you how things were going to be different but instead I just let you down,” he admitted.

“Cameron, Cameron, Cameron,” she said, patting his cheek before lowering her hand, “it’s no big thing,” she reassured.

“Shit,” he mumbled.

Chuckling, she shook her head, “At least you’re making an effort,” she said.

“Excuse me Sersei,” came a female voice from the other side of the door.

Sersei turned her head, “Sorry,” she said with a smile, pushing open the door revealing another young woman standing there, this one an astounding blonde, dressed like she was going to go for a run.

Seeing the two young men standing on the veranda, the new girl grinned, flashing small white teeth.

“Brooklynn, this is my brother Cam and his roommate Oliver,” Sersei introduced.

The blonde girl nodded, ponytail bouncing, limpid green eyes clear and bright as she looked from one to the other, then widening when spied the pink wristband on Oliver.

“Hi,” Cam said, bobbing his head and extending a hand toward Brooklynn, doing everything in his power to refrain from looking at the two globes straining against the fabric of her bright green tank top.

Taking his offered hand, she gave it a little squeeze and released it, “Brother eh?” she said, nose crinkling as her grin deepened.

He nodded, “She’s been awesome helping me adapt to the university,” he said.

The girl looked to Sersei, sucking her plump lower lip into her mouth, “Can I?”

Rolling her eyes, Cam’s sister chuckled, “If you’re going to do what I think you’re going to do, that’s up to you,” she replied.

Reaching out, Brooklyn traced her fingers over Cam’s cheek, “Give me just a minute cutie and I’ll be right back,” she stated, moving back  into the house and ascending a brought set of stairs leading up to the second floor.

Cam maintained his composure, innocent expression still on his face as he watched the girl go. Long incredible legs, heart shaped bottom. He could feel his body stirring.

When she returned downstairs, she was holding a pink wristband in the spread fingers of her right hand. Stopping in the open door, she held up her hand with the band,  “I don’t know if Sersei told you what these are for, but I would really like for you to wear one of mine,” she said, lowering her eyes and looking at him through impossibly long lashes.

“Oh no, I couldn’t,” he said, “I don’t know, I’m, well, okay, for you,” he conceded, extending his arm toward her.

“Please,” Sersei murmured, shaking her head and rolling her eyes.

Slipping the band over his hand, she released it, letting it resume its normal shape, “You have to keep this one,” she cautioned, holding up her right index finger.

“I will,” he assured, spinning the loop on his wrist, spying the symbols and the girl’s name.

“It’s a symbol of our house,” Brooklynn stated.

“Thank you,” Cam said.

Brooklynn giggled and exchanged glances with Sersei before descending the stairs and beginning her run.

“Anything else?” Sersei inquired, amused expression on her pretty face.

“Please just let me know if there’s another job opportunity,” Cam requested.

“And thanks again from me,” Oliver said with an appreciative nod.

Sharing departing pleasantries, the boys quit the house. The smile on Cam’s face wide and Cheshire-like in nature.