- Text Size +

“How slight a thing will disturb the equanimity of our frail minds!” - Dickens

After relieving himself, Oliver grabbed a quick shower and prepared for the day. He wasn’t due at Vesper’s for several hours and he was still mulling over his conversation with Stan. What did it mean? Lost him? He was of half a mind to call Stan back when his phone rang. The ID on his screen told him it was his mother. Connecting the call, he brought the phone to his ear.

“Hey mom,” he greeted, keeping his voice cordial, taking a seat on his bed.

“How’s my little man today?” she asked, her voice weary.

“I’m fine, you know, I more curious about how you are today?” he queried.

She chuckled, “Sweetheart, I’m fine, just got a little carried away last night I suppose. I guess it’s a blessing I don’t remember too much from last night. According to Stan I was off my rocker and babbling all sorts of nonsensical stuff,” she said.

“So you’re okay?” he asked, tone speculative.

“Aside from the mother of all headaches, I’ll survive. Stan told me he gave you a ring and asked me to call in case you were worried,” she explained.

“Yeah, I appreciate that because it sounded like there was something going on there,” he said. “You sure you’re alright, I mean, it’s not something between you and Stan?”

“No, no, we’re fine,” she assured.

“Is it me? Did I forget to delete my search history on the computer again before I left?” he jested, trying to inject levity into the conversation.

She laughed, “Not that I know of, and if you did, I’m sure Stan sanitized so he wouldn’t think I thought it was him,” she replied, the jocularity in her response sounding forced and mildly disingenuous.

“Whew, that’s good,” he chuckled. “I don’t know if Stan told you, but I got a job working in a place that makes and sells candles,” he stated.

“Of course that’s good to hear dear, anyway, I have to run. I just wanted to say I love you,” she said.

He thought he heard an almost imperceptible break in her voice, or catch. He wasn’t sure. Just as a mother knows her child, a child knows its mother. The intuitive voice in Oliver’s head said something just wasn’t right, whether it was the inflection in her voice, the tone, he couldn’t exactly place it, but it was there, some nagging quality. “I love you too,” he replied. What was happening? There was almost a finality in her voice and suddenly he was worried for her. He couldn’t let it go. “Tell me what’s wrong?” he urged before she could end the call.

“Nothing dear, everything is perfectly fine now,” she replied, “though I do have to go,” she added.

“Mom,” he said, tone stern. Why did he get the feeling she was being evasive? Even when she and Stan were having relationship trouble a few years back, she had never sounded like this. It was unsettling.

“Just be careful son,” she said, disconnecting the call.

Phone still to his ear, he lowered it to find she was gone. “Goddammit,” Oliver grumbled, staring down at the phone a moment longer. Grumbling under his breath, he tucked it away. Agitated, he decided to forgo food and just grab himself a coffee. Leaving the dorm, he was still muttering, absently walking across the Commons, headed for Cup of Joe’s.

Out of the corner of his eyes, he spotted Brooklynn jogging at a pretty good clip, ponytailed blonde hair swinging from side to side. Watching her brought a grin to his face, she was so gorgeous and perfectly put together he couldn’t help but appreciate her natural form. She must have spotted him too because she altered her course and was running directly toward him.

Stopping where he was, he continued to ogle her, though subtly, he didn’t want her to think he was too much of a pervert.

Drawing up, a glistening sheen of perspiration on her lightly tanned skin, she bent at the waist, hands on her thighs, breathing hard through a wide smile on her flushed face. “I thought that was you,” she panted.

Nodding, “Hi Brooklynn, how are you doing today?” he asked cordially.

Taking a few more deep breaths, she straightened up and glanced at the Fitbit on her wrist to check her heart rate, “I am doing spectacularly,” she announced, meeting his gaze.

There was no doubt about it in his mind, she was spectacular, especially that little gleam or sparkle of mischief in her big green eyes. “Just out for your run?” he queried, doing everything he could to focus on her face and not her heaving chest. Even sweaty, she was stunning.

She nodded, keeping her eyes on him while twisting at the waist. “If a girl wants to keep the boys panting, she’s got to make an effort to keep in shape. What about you? What have got planned for your day?” she asked.

“Not much. I was going to get a coffee, maybe kill a few hours in town. I have to work tonight, so,” he replied with a shrug.

Waggling a finger at him and talking in a Nicholsonesque cadence, “All work and no play makes Oliver a dull boy,” she said with a giggle, a little quaver in her voice as Cam brushed against a sensitive spot by moving inside his confinement.

He chuckled, “Oh no, I play,” he affirmed quickly, nodding before realizing the double entendre. That didn’t come out right. I play? What the heck did that mean?

“Oh?’ she queried coyly, right eyebrow rising playfully, smile spreading.

Was she flirting? He blushed, “No, that’s not what I meant,” he retorted, shaking his head before running a hand over the side of his hair. “How’s Sersei holding up with Cam leaving?” he asked, trying to change the subject.

Her grin broadened, “She’s a big girl,” she answered.

He nodded, “True enough,” he said, “Please tell her I say hello,” he requested.

“I will,” she assured.

Oliver nodded, “Well, I should let you get back to your run before you cool down too much,” he said.

“Yep,” she replied, giving him a wink and darting off.

Chuckling, Oliver let out a long breath as he fixed his eyes on her retreating back. It was almost enough to make him forget about his mother’s erratic behavior. Almost.