- Text Size +


21st Century Magic - The Faerie Visitor

By YAGS
yagsyags@yahoo.com

Author’s Note: Feel free to redistribute this story as much as you want, with two conditions. First, it can’t be modified in any way, including the disclaimer and author’s notes. Second, it must always be given away for free, never at any cost to readers.

Disclaimer: This series contains some stories that are sexual and/or violent in nature. If you might find such material offensive, if it is illegal to view such content in your area, or if you are not old enough to do so according to the laws in your area, then do not continue reading.

Disclaimer 2: This story, the 21st Century Magic series, and all characters and plots associated with them, are the property of YAGS (yagsyags@yahoo.com). Don’t steal them.


Chapter 1: A Talk on the Beach

Bruce sat in the sand listening to the waves hit the beach. He found it comforting to come out here at night and listen to the waves in the darkness when no one was around. But tonight, he was too upset to be comforted so easily. He had come straight here after his disaster of a dinner date and since then, the 25 year old with short brown hair and conservative clothing had sat crying in the sand for several minutes.

“Why are you crying?” asked a soft female voice, startling him.

“Huh? … I… uh…” he managed, wiping his eyes and looking around for the source of the voice. It didn’t take long to notice the small, yet brightly glowing figure floating in the air several feet away. This startled him a second time.

“You’re a faerie!”

“And you’re a human. So…” she paused, before asking again “Why were you crying?”

He just stared at her in amazement. She was around five inches tall, with translucent, bug-like wings that were wider than her body and almost as tall, busily flapping behind her. She wore a skimpy blue dress to complement her fiery red hair. It clung to her body tightly, showing that faerie women and human women have the same types of curves.

There was a sparkling affect all around her, as if small stars were coming from her body and slowly falling downward away from her, twinkling out of existence once they strayed more than a couple of inches from their creator. The longer Bruce stared at her, the more he noticed that the sparkle effect seemed to emanate primarily from her wings, which seemed to be glowing yellow as the light of the sparkles reflected off of them.

“So, are you going to answer my question?”

“I… I’m sorry. It’s just that I’ve never seen a faerie before. I had heard that faeries might be real now that magic has returned to the world, but no one I know has ever actually seen one.”

The faerie put her hands on her hips with a look of indignation. “What do you mean we’re real ‘now’? We’ve always been real! We just haven’t visited the human world very much in the last few hundred years, because the trip was so difficult. Now that your world is closer, it’s easier for us to come and look around.”

“What do you mean by ‘closer’?”

“Don’t you humans know anything?” asked the little woman, lowering herself down on the sand, still remaining about five feet away from him. “The reason magic has returned to your human world is that your world is closer to ours now. Actually, it probably has more to do with your world being closer to some of the other magical realms, like the astral plane, but our faerie world is always close to those. So now that the human world is aligned closer to the magical realms, you get more magic on your world, and it’s also much easier to use magic to travel between your world and the others. So here I am!”

“So you’re a tourist?” Bruce chuckled slightly. “Here in Florida, I should have known.”

“What do you mean?”

“We get a lot of visitors in this part of the world. The weather’s warm year round, and we’ve got the beaches, so a lot of people come here for vacations, especially in the winter when it’s cold up north.”

“Oh. I guess I got lucky then. We faeries don’t like cold weather.”

“So, do you have a name?”

“Of course I have a name. My name’s Tala.”

“Well, hello Tala. Welcome to Florida. My name is Bruce.”

The faerie smiled. “Thank you, Bruce. You know, you still never answered my first question. Why were you crying when I first saw you?”

Bruce’s expression darkened again. “Oh, that. I’m upset because my girlfriend dumped me.”

Tala’s eyes widened, and she quickly took to the air, looking around in all directions. “Is this place some sort of garbage dump? We need to get out of here while we can!”

Bruce laughed at the faerie’s panicked reaction. “No, it’s nothing like that. It’s just a figure of speech. It means that she broke up with me. She doesn’t want to date me any more.”

As the faerie landed again, once again staying about five feet away from Bruce, he continued to explain, “We had only been dating for a few months, but I thought she was perfect for me. I was hoping she might be the one true love that I could spend the rest of my life with. But apparently, she didn’t think so.”

“Aww… that’s sweet. I’ve always heard that humans were dangerous and brutal, but I like you, Bruce. You’re nice.”

They sat on the beach and continued talking for quite some time.

Bruce told Tala about 21st century Earth, and the many changes that had taken place in the world in the hundreds of years since faeries last visited. He explained about the many countries in the world, talked about cars, planes, television, computers, and other modern technology that was common in the world, and he told her about the return of magic to the world that had just occurred four years ago.

Tala told Bruce about her home in the faerie world, where the winged humanoids fly free, playing in the trees, living in harmony with the nature around them. The faeries feel very safe in their forests, since there are no predators that can reach them in the air or the trees, but Tala explained that they consider it boring to just hang out in the trees with other faeries all the time. They like to go exploring, to play with other creatures, especially intelligent ones, whenever they get the chance, even though there’s some element of danger involved whenever they leave their forest home.

“So you consider it dangerous to come here?” Bruce asked.

“Obviously,” Tala responded. “There are all sorts of big, mean, and nasty things in this world, like hawks and owls and foxes and humans.”

“Yeah, I guess most predatory animals would be dangerous to someone your size”, Bruce chuckled. “And you’re afraid of us humans?”

“Of course! Humans are very large and very brutal. You’re bigger than goblins, though maybe not quite as mean. But I’ve heard of faeries having their wings torn off, and humans cutting up their bodies to try and figure out how our magic works and where our faerie dust comes from.”

“Faerie dust? Is that the sparkling stuff that surrounded you while you were flying? I noticed that you only have a little bit of it going since you landed and sat down.”

“Yes, the dust always comes out of our wings when we flap them, unless we concentrate very hard to prevent it. We can also make it come out of other parts of our bodies, usually the hands, if we need to use it for something.”

“Use it? You mean it’s more than just a cool looking light?”

Tala giggled at this. “I’m glad you like it,” she said. With this, she stood up, jumped several inches into the air, spread her arms out as if modeling an outfit, and turned around slowly in the air, letting out a very large sprinkling of the bright faerie dust.

“But yes, it’s more than just a light”, she explained, landing gracefully. “We use faerie dust for everything. It’s the basis for all faerie magic, and we do everything with magic. We’re too small to do any heavy work without it.”

“Well, that makes sense.”

“Hmm…” Tala got a mischievous grin on her face. “Would you like me to show you something that I can do with my faerie dust?”

“Sure”, Bruce replied.

“Give me your hand”, she said, and he extended his right hand out towards her. She flew up to it and generated faerie dust from her hands, dropping it on his wrist. It connected once it got there, shaping itself into a thin bracelet that clung close to his skin.

“Now your other hand”, she said. He held it out, and she did the same thing with that one, while he brought the right hand up to his face to closely examine the shimmering bracelet that she had made for him. When she finished, she backed away in the air to be able to watch his reaction.

He touched the bracelet on his left wrist with his right hand to fiddle with it. “Wow, that’s amazing. I sort of expected this faerie dust stuff to be hot, and it’s not. And it’s on pretty well. It’s not tight enough to hurt or anything, but I can tell it’s not going anywhere. It’s like it’s clinging to my skin.”

“Now for the fun part”, Tala said with a smile and gestured at his wrists with her hands. With that, Bruce’s arms were suddenly pulled back, obviously dragged by the magical bracelets. He found himself leaning backwards on his arms, with his hands pinned in the sand by the bracelets that he couldn’t budge.

“Hey! Stop that!” he shouted as Tala floated in the air, laughing uncontrollably.

Bruce continued to struggle against the unnatural bonds. “I mean it, Tala. Come on, let go of my wrists!”

Regaining her composure, she responded, “Relax, Bruce. I’m just playing with you. You said you were curious about how we use our faerie dust. I’m just showing you how we protect ourselves, by using a simple faerie dust construct like this to hold back our enemies for a minute or two while we fly away.”

“So this goes back to your fear of humans? You aren’t afraid of me, are you?”

“No, not any more. You’re much nicer than I ever expected from a human man. I don’t understand why your girlfriend dumped you.”

Bruce smiled slightly at this. “Well, at least one good thing came from it, anyway. I came to this beach tonight and made a new friend, who helped cheer me up.”

Tala smiled at this, and her wings seemed to flutter faster. “Hmm… I have an idea to cheer you up even more”, she said, with a mischievous grin coming to her face as she flew closer to him.

“Letting go of my wrists so I can get up?” Bruce asked, as she flew right up to him, stopping about half a foot in front of his face. At this close distance, he finally got a better view of her delicate, little features. She had a very pretty face, with bright blue eyes and cherry red lips. Her red hair framed her face nicely, coming down past her shoulders. And as Bruce had noticed even from a distance, the shape of her body was very feminine, with hips and breasts just large enough to stand out and give her a gentle, hourglass figure, without being excessive in either area for a woman her size.

“Umm…”, she blushed and looked down coyly, “Would you like me to be your new girlfriend?”

“I… uh… that is… Tala, I like you and all, and you’re very pretty, but… I’m just not sure if that type of relationship between a faerie and a human would work.”

Tala dropped the coy act, looked him right in the eyes, gracefully lowered herself down, and placed her sandaled feet right on the groin area in his pants, continuing to hold his gaze the whole time. “You mean because we couldn’t have sex because of our size difference?” she asked, the mischievous smile returning to her face as she felt him becoming aroused beneath her feet.

“Whoa!!!” he exclaimed in surprise. He still couldn’t move because of her magic, so all he could do was look down at the faerie carefully “walking” on his groin, obviously using her wings to balance her weight. He was definitely starting to like this, but as she had said, it would be difficult physically. “Well, I was going to start with the fact that we live in different worlds, unless you’re planning to stay here a while, but yes, the size difference preventing sex would definitely be a problem, too.”

“I came to this world to explore and …” she paused and reached down a hand to pet his aroused manhood through his pants, “ ‘play’ with humans and see what your world is like, so I was hoping to stay a while. That’s why I researched a spell before I came here that will allow me to become human sized.”

Bruce was definitely starting to like this prospect. “Oh… Well, in that case, I guess it could work. That’s great. I’d really like that.”

Tala looked up at him and smiled brightly. “So you’ll help me cast the spell?” she asked, sitting down on his pants so that her legs were straddling his manhood. “So I can become human sized?” She felt him up through his pants with both hands now. “And we can have sex?” she asked, lying down so her body rested against his enlarged member, with her legs still straddling him.

“Uh, sure, yeah”, he responded distractedly, looking down at her. “But, why do you need my help?”

“That’s just part of the spell”, she responded, looking back up at him. “I need a human man to willingly help with the spell, or I can’t become human sized.”

“What do I have to do?”

“Have sex with me.”

“Ummm… Tala… doesn’t that bring us right back to the original problem?”


Chapter 2: Sex in the Settee

Bruce opened the passenger door to his car for Tala, and she immediately flew inside and started looking over every detail. “What’s this? What’s this?” she repeated several times as she examined the seats, the interior light, the radio, the steering wheel, the pedals, and several other features of the car. When she had first released the bracelets that bound his wrists, and they had decided to take his car back to his place to have sex there, he had wondered if he would be able to get her to wear a seat belt. Now he just wondered if he could get her to sit down.

She stopped flying around looking at every detail when she found the rear view mirror. As Bruce sat down and fastened his seat belt, she was looking at herself in it and adjusting her hair.

Once he explained the concept of a bug on a windshield, she agreed that flying inside the car once it started moving was probably a bad idea. She sat on the dashboard, so she could look out the windows, taking in the many exciting sights that they passed. He had to answer her questions about the buildings they passed, the many different cars on the road, the signs on the road, and even the purpose of the traffic lights.

When they reached his apartment, she became just as excited. “Wow! What is all this?” she asked, flying around looking at everything. He answered several of her questions before she stopped and flew back to him.

“Well, I’m curious to learn all about your world, but I think we’ve got better things to do right now. Are you ready to be my lover, Bruce?”

“Yeah, but… uh… you still haven’t explained how that’s possible. What’s the plan?”

“Why don’t you sit down, and I’ll start the spell that makes it possible for us to have sex. After we’ve had sex, I’ll have the ability to make myself as big as you”, she responded.

“Ok”, Bruce replied, “But I’d better go get a condom for the sex part”.

“What’s a condom?”

“I’ll explain when we get that far”, he replied, heading into his bedroom and returning a few seconds later and sitting down on the sofa.

Tala flew right up to his face. “Now we’re going to kiss. But before we kiss, I need you to close your eyes and concentrate. You need to actively wish for us to be the same size.”

“Ok”, Bruce said again, closing his eyes and puckering his lips in anticipation of kissing the lovely little faerie.

“Are you concentrating?” Tala asked before proceeding.

Bruce just smiled, “Yes, Tala.”

“We have to be sure we’re both really wishing to become the same size when we kiss, or it won’t work.”

Bruce opened his eyes and said, “I’m concentrating on it, and I’m ready when you are”. With his eyes open, he noticed that she had built up a large amount of faerie dust around her while his eyes were closed. He remembered what she said about faerie dust being the basis for all faerie magic, and he realized she must need lots of it to cast whatever spell she was planning.

Tala put her hands on her hips and said impatiently, “So close your eyes already so we can start”.

Bruce closed his eyes again and stopped for a second to make sure he was really concentrating hard enough on wishing that she were his size. Then he puckered his lips to kiss her. A second later, he felt her little lips kissing his. Then an odd sensation overtook him, and he felt himself falling backwards until he was on his back on the sofa, feeling slightly disoriented.

The next thing he knew, a full sized Tala was on top of him. He opened his eyes in surprise as her lips pressed against his again, this time at the same size as his, and she began to kiss him passionately. As she kissed him, he saw that her large wings filled much of his view, but he could make out the ceiling of the apartment above them and the back of the sofa behind his head. But everything just seemed a little off. Her passionate kissing was quite enjoyable, but he was more than a little confused, so he stopped kissing her, pushed her away, and said breathlessly, “Wait”.

“What’s the matter, Bruce? Don’t you want to have sex with me?” Tala asked, sitting on top of him, with her legs straddling his waist.

Bruce looked at her and realized that seeing her at full size was completely different than seeing her up close when she was smaller than him. He was once again struck by how beautiful she was, and by how big her wings were, but he was still confused by her transformation. “I thought you weren’t supposed to grow to my size until after we had sex?” he asked.

“You”, she pointed at him, “think that I…”, she continued, pointing back at herself, then began laughing so hard that she couldn’t complete her sentence.

“What’s so funny?” Bruce asked, looking around in confusion, still trying to get his bearings.

With that, Tala began laughing even harder. After a few seconds she regained her composure. “I didn’t grow to your size, silly”, she said, still grinning widely, “You shrunk to mine”.

“WHAT???” Bruce yelled, then pushed Tala off of him and quickly jumped up to a standing position. As Bruce looked around, he realized she was telling the truth. He was standing in the middle of a couch cushion, and the back of the couch rose up like a wall. Looking over the edge at the front, it seemed like more than 20 feet to the floor.

Tala just sat there on the sofa cushion laughing hysterically at his panicked reaction.

Turning his attention back to her, Bruce yelled, “This isn’t funny, Tala! I must be around five inches tall! I can’t believe you shrunk me! I’m tiny!”

“Welcome to my world, little man”, she replied, then started giggling some more.

“You’ve got to make me normal size again! I can’t stay like this!”

Standing up to face him, Tala replied, “But now that we’re the same size, we can have sex together”. Walking towards him slowly, she gave him her best sultry look and asked, “You do still want to have sex with me, don’t you? After all, that’s why you wished that we were the same size in the first place, and I couldn’t have done this spell if you hadn’t willingly wished for it.”

“But we were supposed to both be human size. You said you were going to grow to human size, not that I would shrink to your size.”

She wrapped her arms around his neck and said seductively, “I will grow to human size, lover, but I can’t until after we have sex.” With that, she gave him a quick kiss on the lips and continued, “I can make you big again at any time. But if I make you big before I grow big, then we can’t have sex, and I’ll never be able to make myself human size.”

With that, she kissed him again gently, then asked, “So what do you think, Bruce? Are you ready to make love to me now?”

“I don’t know, Tala. I’m still kinda freaked out by this.”

Tala rolled her eyes and removed her arms from around his neck. Reaching down, she grabbed him by the wrists and told him, “Seeing your reaction was funny at first, but this is getting old. I’m ready to have sex now, whether you want to or not.”

With that, she released her grip, and he yelped as his wrists were suddenly yanked up above his head, then backwards. His wrists headed straight down to the cushion that they were standing on, so that he fell and landed flat on his back, with his arms stretched straight out above him. He looked at his arms to confirm what he already knew. There were faerie dust wristbands on both of his wrists, holding him down.

Tala threw more faerie dust from her hands down at his ankles, which wrapped around them easily, completing her domination of Bruce’s body.

“Now this is more like it”, said the sultry faerie, sitting down on his body again. With that, she kissed him on his lips. “Just relax and let’s have some fun.” With that, she turned her attention to unbuckling his belt and trying to figure out how to remove his pants.

Seeing her confusion at not knowing how to use the zipper, he smiled and chuckled slightly. He was beginning to get used to her constant confusion about the human world.

“Why don’t you let me up, and I’ll help you with that”, he suggested.

“I can cut it open with faerie dust”, she replied, holding out her hands and beginning to generate some of the glittering stuff from her fingertips. “Then we can have sex.”

“WHOA!!! You don’t have to do that to get my pants off! I’m ready to have sex with you, Tala. I just needed a minute to wrap my mind around everything that’s happening. Besides, I need my hands free to get out the condom.”

“You never did tell me what a condom is”, she said, stopping to look at him, as if waiting for an explanation.

“It’s probably easier to show you then to explain”, Bruce responded. “You can let me up now. It’s not like I could go anywhere, even if I wanted to.”

She removed the shackles from his wrists, and he pulled the condom out of his pocket to show her. He even put it on his fingers to demonstrate. She argued that it would block his seed from entering into her, which she needed to cast the spell. He tried to insist that it was necessary, but once she explained that a human couldn’t get her pregnant and that faerie magic makes them immune to all diseases, he agreed that maybe they wouldn’t need it.

“I guess there’s only one thing to use it for, then”, he said, blowing it up like a balloon, then letting it go to watch it fly. As he expected, Tala giggled inanely as she watched it. He was beginning to wonder if she was the faerie equivalent of a dumb blonde, or if all faeries were like this. Then she kissed him passionately again, and he stopped thinking about it, as she pushed him on to his back. For a while, at least, he was too busy to care either way.


Chapter 3: Blown Away

As Bruce was gathering his clothes from the four corners of the couch cushion and putting them back on, he watched Tala rapidly grab her dress and sandals and slip them back on.

“Now to see if that spell works,” she told him, smiling excitedly. With that, she jumped into the air, flying to the middle of the room. Spinning in mid-air there, she began to build up a huge amount of faerie dust.

As Bruce finished getting dressed, he watched her with interest. It didn’t take long before the glowing dust blocked her from his vision altogether. By the time he was done putting on his shoes, the huge amount of the stuff was taking up almost as much space in his living room as a full grown human. At his size, of course, that seemed immense.

Suddenly, there was a blinding flash, and Bruce put his hands up to cover his eyes. When it faded, he lowered his hands and blinked several times to adjust his vision. Looking up from where he sat, the sight before him left him completely stunned.

There stood Tala at human size, appearing to be a giant compared to his tiny form. The red haired beauty was still wearing the same form fitting blue dress, and she looked around in amazement for a few seconds, as if seeing the room for the first time. Looking up at her gigantic form, Bruce was in awe. She was absolutely immense, yet something seemed out of place, besides the fact that he was still shrunken on the couch cushion.

“It worked!!!” she yelled excitedly, and continued to look around the room. She looked up at the ceiling, then down at her feet, then back up again, as if trying to judge the distances and her height.

“I’m huge!” she exclaimed in delight, and Bruce couldn’t argue with her about that.

Then he realized what it was that seemed wrong about her. Her wings were gone! She looked completely human! She looked enormous compared to him, but completely human in form.

As she turned around, taking in everything about her surroundings, he saw on her back that her wings weren’t actually gone. They just hadn’t grown with the rest of her body. So they were still only big enough to carry her former 5-inch frame. And, as excited as she was to see her surroundings from this new perspective, the little wings were flapping furiously, with faerie dust streaming out of them continuously. The tiny things seemed more out of place now than they had when she was a little faerie.

“So… umm… Tala?” he began, trying to get her attention.

Tala didn’t seem to notice him as she started to walk around the room, looking at everything as if seeing it for the first time.

“TALA!!!” he yelled.

Tala looked down at the couch, as if she were first remembering that he was there. “You’re tiny!” she exclaimed, grinning, then started giggling as she looked at him.

Seeing the way she was looking down at him, Bruce started to get nervous. “Yeah, about that…” he started “Now that you’re human sized, it’s time to make me big again, right?”

Tala bent down on her knees and put her arms on the couch. Bruce saw that her breasts were bigger than his whole body, and her head still towered high above him. He backed away from her massive form. “Now why would I want to do that, little lover?” she asked, giggling.

“What?!?!” he exclaimed. “Tala, stop messing around! You said you’d make me normal again, once you’d grown to human size.”

“But you’re so cute at this size!” she objected.

“Tala! PLEASE!!!” he yelled, almost panicked.

Tala started laughing uncontrollably at his reaction.

“Tala, this isn’t funny!”

“Yes, it is”, she responded, still grinning wildly.

Bruce was starting to get really worried that she meant it. What if she had never intended to make him normal size again? Had it all just been a trick to use him for her spell?

“Now come and give me a kiss, little lover”, she said, puckering up and bringing her chin down close to the couch where he would be able to reach her lips.

“What?” he asked, backing away from her huge face until he felt the back of the couch behind him.

“Don’t you remember how I made you little, Bruce?” she asked. “Come give me a kiss” she repeated, puckering her lips again and making a quick kissing noise, then just grinning at him, as if waiting.

“Oh. I get it. Kissing was part of the spell that made me small, so I guess we have to do the same thing to make me normal size again, huh?”

“Don’t sound so scared, little lover. I thought you liked kissing my lips”, she answered seductively.

“Uh, ok”, he replied meekly, and started to slowly approach her gigantic face.

Even at this size, she seemed absolutely gorgeous to him. He would have expected to see every little flaw in her skin, but her milky white skin appeared perfectly smooth and flawless. And even though her lips were as large as his whole head, they looked red, moist, and perfectly kissable. Seeing them, Bruce worked up the courage to continue his approach. He was an inch away from her face, though it seemed like a foot to him, when he saw her inhale slightly and pucker her lips into an “O” shape, as if to kiss him.

Suddenly, Bruce was thrown backwards, as if a huge gust of wind had blown him without warning, and he landed on his back in the middle of the couch cushion.

“That was great!” Tala exclaimed, grinning happily and rising up from her position close to the couch. “I was able to knock you down just by blowing on you!”

“Wha… ? You… ?” Bruce managed, propping himself up and looking around to get his bearings again. When it sunk in what had happened, he looked up and yelled at the towering beauty above him, “Why did you do that?”

“To see if I could! That was great, the way you fell backwards like that,” Tala pointed “and all I had to do was blow on you!”

“That’s not funny!” he responded angrily, standing up.

“Yes, it is!” she replied with a grin. Before Bruce had a chance to respond, she took a deep breath, formed a perfect “O” with her luscious red lips, and blew on him again. He was knocked down again, but this time, she didn’t stop so quickly. She continued to blow as hard as she could for a few seconds, causing him to roll so that he was face down and bracing himself against the surface of the cushion, while his hair and clothing flapped in the artificial wind.

As soon as the gust against his back came to an end, Bruce jumped up quickly, turned around towards Tala, and yelled without thinking, “STOP THAT!!!”

With that, he noticed that in turning around so fast, he was facing her enormous breasts just past the edge of the couch. His anger turned to fear as he remembered the reality of his situation, and he looked up at her face to see her surprised expression.

“Why are you yelling at me like that?”

“Why do you keep blowing on me like that?” he shot back.

“You want me to stop blowing you down?” she asked, gently.

“Yes!”

“Make me!” she responded defiantly.

With that, Tala inhaled another large breath of air, and Bruce knew what was coming next. In a panic, he turned to run, although at five inches tall in the middle of the sofa, he had no place to go. He instinctively ran towards the side of the couch, as if reaching that goal would somehow shelter him from the coming storm. As he ran, Tala bent her body into the couch so that her face was right behind him. She puckered her sensual lips as if to kiss him, then blew.

This time, when the blast of air hit him, he was running away from it, and she was closer to him than before. His entire body was thrust forward across half the couch cushion until he slammed into the side wall. Despite the padding, he was still stunned by the impact, so he leaned against the wall to steady himself, then turned around to face his tormentor, his back against the soft wall.

“Going somewhere, little man?” she asked, with a chuckle. As he watched, she took another deep breath, and he merely cringed and held up his hands in front of his face, as if that would protect him from what was inevitably coming. But this time, the blast of air he was expecting was replaced by the now familiar sound of Tala laughing.

Bruce lowered his hands from in front of him and helplessly looked up at the beautiful face that was looking back at him and giggling inanely.

“Little lover, you’re just the cutest little toy. I like having you as my boyfriend!”

“Tala, I’m a person, not a toy! You can’t treat me like this!” he yelled.

“Why not?” she asked, looking around, as if expecting something to happen, then looking back at him with genuine curiosity on her face.

Bruce had a sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach as he realized that she meant it. That’s why she’d looked around the room when he told her that she couldn’t treat him that way. She was actually expecting something to happen that would prevent her behavior, as if the police would suddenly show up and arrest her for abusing him. He knew she had been acting somewhat childish all along, but at that moment, he suddenly realized that the faerie truly didn’t understand the concept of right and wrong.

Not wanting to spend the rest of his life as a 5-inch living toy, he knew he’d have to explain it to her.


Chapter 4: Sit for a Spell

Bruce convinced Tala to stop playing with him, if only for a minute, so they could have a serious conversation. It only took a couple of basic questions for him to realize that the entire faerie race has no moral standards at all, and their entire legal system is the sentence “Don’t kill anyone or steal from another faerie”. She explained that the faerie king and queen enforce this, on the rare occasion that it’s necessary, by magically enslaving the offender. Bruce decided not to ask about their view of stealing from non-faeries, and instead skipped straight to the discussion of why it’s wrong to be so mean to him.

“How would you like it if you were the small one, and someone bigger was mean to you?” he asked her, trying to put it in perspective.

“I used to be the small one, but I’m not any more”, she responded, seriously. “After all those years of being afraid of goblins trying to capture and torture me, or of being caught by a human once I got to this world, I just love the idea of you being the tiny one now. I get to be big for a change, and I plan to have lots of fun this way. You’re going to be my toy for a while!” she told him, grinning wildly.

“But Tala, that’s my point. You know what it’s like to be this small, so why would you do things to me that you wouldn’t like other people doing to you?”

“It’s not like I’m going to hurt you, little Brucie. You make it sound like I would cut you up and eat you or something. I’m not a goblin, you know! You’re my boyfriend, and I really like you. I just want us to have fun playing together.”

“This isn’t my idea of fun. How would you like it if someone treated you like a toy when you were small?”

“If it was someone I liked, who I knew wouldn’t hurt me, then I could have fun with them”, she replied. “You just need to calm down and enjoy yourself.”

With that, she reached her hand out to grab the little man off the couch.

“TALA!!! NO!!!” Bruce screamed. He tried to resist, but Tala put her fingers behind his back and her thumb across his chest, and simply lifted him off the couch. He had never been more scared in his life. His hands were pushing down on her thumb, more to brace himself than to try and push it away. His legs were kicking in midair in a panic, hanging down from her hand.

Tala stood up, not caring that the speed of his ascent was scaring the heck out of Bruce, then brought him up to her face. Holding him in front of her, she examined the little man, and giggled at his squirming.

“Please, Tala! Let me go! Please!”

“Well, if you insist. I guess I can drop you right here.”

“WHAT?!? No!!! Don’t drop me!”

“But didn’t you just ask me to let go of you? Make up your mind!”

“Please, Tala, put me down gently. Please!” he begged.

“Well…” she taunted, pretending to think about it. She then looked around the room briefly, and even walked around to poke her head into other rooms.

“Tala, where are you taking me?” Bruce asked, starting to get even more concerned that she might have something specific planned for him.

“There we go! A table!” she said upon looking into the kitchen, then gave a single triumphant nod.

“Huh?”

Tala looked at the little man in her hand. “We faeries don’t have chairs like you humans. The back of the chair would get in the way of our wings, so we just use stools,” she explained as she proceeded towards the kitchen table. “Ever since I got here, I’ve been looking forward to trying out a human chair once I was big enough. I just wanted to find one with a table near it, so I could put you down near me while I try it out.”

Having been worried about what she might be planning for him, Bruce was relieved to hear that her plan was so completely mundane and non-threatening, and even more importantly, that she intended to put him down. What he wasn’t expecting was the sudden drop, as her hand very quickly lowered down, and then released him about an inch above the table. Even at five inches tall, he would have been able to easily land on his feet, had he known to expect the fall. But Tala’s hand opened up and released him so quickly that he fell forward, landing on his hands and knees. Despite the shaky landing, Bruce was unharmed. He took a few seconds to mutter something about solid ground, then stood up and looked to see what Tala was doing.

She was already seated in one of the chairs. Bruce couldn’t see her hands, since her arms were at her sides, but the stiff positions of her arms led Bruce to believe that she was probably holding on to the seat of the chair. She turned to look behind her, at the back of the chair, as if trying to determine how to lean back correctly against it. Bruce watched as she slowly slid her body backwards, then finally turned to face forward and leaned back slowly until she was reclining against the back of the chair. The look on her face was one of awe, as if she was experiencing something truly major for the first time.

“Wow!”, she stated simply.

“Uhh… Tala?” Bruce said to get her attention.

She looked down in his direction, still not moving from her reclining position, and still keeping a surprisingly serious look on her face.

“I don’t get it”, Bruce continued. “I can understand that sitting in a chair is something you’ve never done before, but you’re treating it like some sort of life altering experience. What’s the big deal?”

“My wings… They seem so small when I’m this big. I’ve never felt anything else against my back. All faerie clothing always has open backs, to make room for the wings, so nothing ever touches the skin”, she said, acting more serious than Bruce would have thought she could ever be. “It’s so odd to have this cushion from the back of the chair pressed against most of my back.”

“Huh”, Bruce responded. “You should try the couch”, he joked.

Her eyes widened in excitement. “Ooh! That would press against my whole back, since it’s bigger than the back of this chair.”

She suddenly jumped up from the chair and ran back into the living room.

“Tala!!! Wait!” Bruce yelled, but she was already in the next room. “You can’t just leave me here on the kitchen table!” He looked around, wondering what to do next. “Or maybe you can just leave me here, since you just did”, he muttered to himself.


Chapter 5: Never Been Kissed

Bruce heard Tala babbling excitedly in the other room as he walked around the kitchen table. He looked at the chairs, trying to judge whether or not there was any way to climb down to the floor. But he realized that it would be risky, and he didn’t have any place to go, anyway. He would have liked to be able to reach the phone to call for help, but with the way the kitchen phone hung on the wall, he knew he wouldn’t be able to move the receiver at his size, even if he could get to it.

After a couple of minutes, Tala returned, looking as excited as ever.

“That was great!” she exclaimed, as she put her hands on the edge of the kitchen table and looked down at Bruce, her red hair hanging alongside her beautiful face. “Thanks for suggesting that!”

“Uh… you’re welcome”, Bruce began, while backing away from her gigantic form. “Now there’s something you can do for me.”

”What?”

“Let’s go back to what we were doing on the couch before you decided to start blowing on me.”

She paused and looked at him, and the puzzled look on her face told Bruce that her attention span didn’t go back that far.

“I was going to kiss you, remember?” he reminded her.

Her face brightened instantly.

“Oh, that’s so sweet!” she exclaimed and quickly sat down in one of the chairs. She put her arms on the table and leaned forward so that her head extended over her arms, with her face low enough for Bruce to reach her.

Bruce looked at her from the other side of the table, but made no move to approach her.

“You’re not going to blow on me this time, are you?” he asked.

Tala sat up in the chair with a surprised look on her face, glaring down at him from above, then paused thoughtfully before responding, “No, we did enough of that back on the couch. I want to try kissing you when you’re this small. It’ll be something new.”

“So it’ll be like when we kissed the first time, when you were little, and I was human sized, right?”

“Yeah, just in reverse. That’s why it’ll be exciting, though. Neither of us has ever done this before.”

Bruce breathed a sigh of relief. Given Tala’s short attention span and her constant desire for instant gratification, he figured she probably meant it.

Slowly and cautiously, he began to walk across the table, looking up at the towering beauty. She just smiled down at him from above, but she made no move to lower her face again to where he’d be able to reach.

Once he reached her side of the table, he stopped and asked, “How am I supposed to reach you if you don’t bend down and bring your face close to the table?”

He regretted asking when her hand reached out quickly and grabbed him around the waist.

“Whoa!!! Tala! What are you doing?” he yelled in a panic, as his legs kicked helplessly in the air, and his hands bracing against her giant thumb that was pressed against his stomach.

Still smiling, she lifted him up to her face. “Giving you a kiss, silly”, she replied. With that, she puckered her luscious red lips and brought him right up to her mouth. Her moist lips pressed against his entire face as she gave him a quick kiss, then her hand moved back from her face, so that she could see her little captive and watch his reaction.

Bruce was in too much of a panic to even look at her gigantic face. His feet were still moving beneath him, as if trying to find a solid surface to stand on, and his hands were still bracing his body against the enormous hand that held him aloft. He was in a daze, again trying to truly comprehend his outrageous situation, when he heard Tala giggling at him.

Suddenly angry with the tormentor who was treating him like nothing more than a toy, he looked right into her face. Again, he was struck by her beauty. Her smile was so wide and innocent, and her bright blue eyes shone with excitement. Even though her face was bigger than his whole body, and he hated being treated like a doll, he had a hard time staying angry with her. Seeing the innocence on her face, he knew that she meant no harm.

He also knew that to get her to end this awful situation, he’d have to be nice to her. So he braced himself and calmed down for a second before speaking.

“Tala, you really surprised me that time”, he told her.

“You should have seen yourself panic. That was great!” she responded, still excited.

“But I thought we were going to both kiss each other at the same time, slowly”, he said.

“Hmm… Then I guess it’s time to try it that way”, she replied with a wink. She puckered her lips and gently brought him closer to her face.

Relieved that this nightmare was finally about to end, Bruce also puckered his lips in anticipation, closed his eyes, and like he’d done once before, he concentrated on becoming the same size as Tala.

This time when her lips pressed against his face, he was ready. He pressed his mouth into the soft, moist flesh of her lips, kissing the surface as hard as he could, while still trying to hold on to the thought in his mind of growing back to human size. But unlike last time, when he was surprised by the sudden change in size, the surprise this time was that nothing changed.

Tala moved her hand with Bruce in it away from her face, so she could look at her little toy. He looked back at her and asked, “What happened?”

“What do you mean ‘What happened’? We kissed! Isn’t that what you wanted?”

“What I wanted was to grow back to normal size! Wasn’t that the whole point of kissing at different sizes like this?” he yelled at her, angrily.

“I thought you wanted to kiss me because you like me”, she answered, sounding disappointed.

“I just want to be human size again! You said that you wanted to kiss me, because it would be just like when you cast the spell that made me small. Isn’t the kissing part of the spell to make me big again?”

“Oh, I see”, she began angrily and dropped him suddenly on the table. “You just wanted to use me for sex, but now you don’t want to let me stay human size and explore the human world. I thought you really liked me and wanted to help me see your world, Bruce!”

“Huh?” was all Bruce could manage as he stood and looked up at the menacing red haired beauty above him.

“Well, you’re stuck, Bruce. I’m the big one, and you’re the small one now”. As if to emphasize her point, she slammed her fist down on the table next to him, causing him to fall over from the force of the table shaking. “And that’s the way that it’s gonna stay until I’m ready to go back to being faerie size. I can make you big again any time I want, with no kissing, but only one of us can be big at a time. And I intend to keep your size for myself until I’ve had a good chance to explore the human world and find all the fun things to do and see here.”

“WHAT???” Bruce yelled from where he was sitting on the table. “You never said that I had to stay small in order for you to be human size! I don’t want to be stuck like this!”

“Well, you don’t have a choice any more”, she responded, poking him in the chest playfully with her gigantic finger. “You let me shrink you, and now I control your size. You’re going to be my little toy for a very long time, little Brucie.”

As her words sunk in, Bruce had a sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach. He looked up at the gargantuan faerie to see her looking down at him with a satisfied grin.


Chapter 6: Learning to Fly

“Don’t be so sad, Bruce”, Tala coaxed. “Being faerie size isn’t so bad. I lived that way my whole life!”

Bruce just looked up at her silently, wondering if there was any way he could talk her into making him big again.

“We need to find a way to cheer you up”, she said cheerily, and Bruce began to worry immediately. “Since I get to find out what it’s like to be human size, maybe I can cheer you up by letting you experience what it’s like to be a faerie!”

“Umm… What do you mean?” Bruce asked, already dreading the answer.

“Well, it’s like when you kissed me. You got to see what it was like for me when I kissed you at that small size.”

“Yeah, we’ve already done that”, Bruce responded, beginning to formulate a plan in his head. “Why don’t I teach you more about the outside world, so you can go explore?”

“Not until I find a way to cheer you up!”

Still thinking his plan was a good idea, Bruce decided to try another angle. “I think maybe I’m just being cranky because it’s late, and I’m getting tired. Maybe I should give you some advice for things to do outside, and you can leave me here to go to sleep while you go out and play.”

“You know the most fun thing about being a faerie?” Tala asked, her face brightening.

“What?” Bruce realized she wasn’t taking his bait.

“Flying!!!” Tala continued excitedly.

Bruce cringed in terror. Was she going to toss him in the air? With everything she’d already done, that’s what he was expecting, although he found himself hoping that she just had a spell to make him sprout wings. The fact that he was actually hoping for that made him realize just how desperate he’d become.

“You’ll love flying, Bruce!” she told him, reaching out suddenly and grabbing him in her left hand.

Bruce let out a short yell as Tala wrapped her feminine fingers around him like before and lifted him suddenly. She held him directly in front of her lovely face and examined him for a moment.

“Tala, what are you doing?”

“This!” she declared, and pinched the back of his shirt between the thumb and forefinger of her right hand. Her left hand released him, and he suddenly found himself dangling from his shirt, his arms sticking out at a weird angle and his feet flailing aimlessly in the air.

“HEY!!! Stop that!”

“Time to fly!” she told him, standing up suddenly.

“Aaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!” he yelled, as she began to run around the apartment with him swinging from his shirt, dangling from her dainty fingers.

“Weeeeee!!!” she yelled enthusiastically, raising and lowering him in the air several times while running around in circles childishly.

“TALA!!! Pleeeeease stoooooop!!!” Bruce screamed. He couldn’t believe she was playing with him like a child with a toy airplane.

She ran into the living room, and Bruce could see himself being “flown” directly towards the back of the couch.

“Look out!!!” he screamed, putting his feet out in front of him to cushion the crash and covering his face with his hands. He felt her lift him up at the last second, so he wouldn’t be rammed into the massive piece of furniture.

“Isn’t this fun, Bruce?” she asked as she continued to run from room to room.

“TALA!!! Pleeease!!! Stop!!!” Bruce yelled. “Slow down! Anything! I’m gonna throw up.”

“Time to REALLY fly”, she told him excitedly, as she ran back into the living room. She jumped up on the couch, and Bruce felt his stomach lurch as she bounced straight up.

“Weeeeee!!!” she yelled, jumping back down to the floor, then bent down near the couch.

Bruce felt himself swinging over the couch one last time when she suddenly released him.

“NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!” he screamed, as he flew upwards, then fell to the soft couch cushion and bounced slightly before finally coming to a stop.

Relieved to finally be out of the hands of the humongous psychopath, Bruce lay face down on the couch and tried to stop shaking. He only hoped that Tala wouldn’t repeat that ordeal.

“See, Bruce?” Tala said to him. “I told you flying was fun! Want to do it again?”

“NO!!!”

Tala looked down at him curiously, as if trying to understand why he didn’t seem to enjoy flying. He lay there on the couch waiting for the dizziness to pass, but realized she probably wouldn’t give him that much time. His mind went back to his original plan and he started talking before she could come up with any “fun” new ideas of her own.

“I’ve got an idea. Now that you’ve shown me how faeries fly, how about I teach you how to drive my car? You can see how humans travel and go out exploring.”

“Great! Let’s go!” she replied, then grabbed his body and lifted him so suddenly that he got dizzy again. With her hand wrapped around Bruce’s midsection, she bounced around excitedly as Bruce directed her to get the car key and go out to the car. With her excitement at learning how to use a doorknob, the key to unlock the car door, and the car door handle, Bruce nearly lost his dinner.

Finally, they were in the car, and Bruce asked to be put down on the passenger seat.

“So how does this work?” she asked, after putting him down.

“Before we go anywhere, I just want you to know it’s late, and I’m getting tired. I want you to go out and have fun exploring the human world, but after I show you how to drive the car and before you go anywhere, please take me back into my apartment so I can get some rest. Ok?”

“Ok. So how does this work?” she asked again.

Bruce cringed. She was too distracted and excited to listen, so he really wasn’t sure he’d gotten that point through to her. Not having much of a choice, he began to explain the basic functioning of the car. Luckily, his car was an automatic, so there was no clutch to worry about, so he just explained the gas and brake pedals, the steering wheel, and how to put the car in drive and reverse. He intentionally didn’t show her how to turn on the ignition yet, for fear that she’d start driving with him still in the car.

“Ok, the last thing you need to know is how to turn the car on.”

“I’m good at turning things on, aren’t I Brucie?” she told him, giving him a seductive look and kissing the air sexily in his direction.

“Yes, that you are”, he answered, to which she grinned proudly.

He then pointed out where to put the key in the ignition, and stopped once it was inserted.

“Now before you start the car and go anywhere, I want to remind you of what I said earlier. Once I show you this part, you’ll take me back inside to sleep before you go anywhere, right?”

“You sure you don’t want to come with me?”

“It’s late, and I’m tired. Actually, it’s good for you that it’s so late, because there won’t be many other cars on the road. Just remember to take it slow, and stay on the right side of the road.”

“Right side of the road. Got it. There’s a lot to remember with this driving stuff.”

“I’m sure you’ll do fine. Why don’t you carry me back inside, and I’ll explain what to do with the car key while we go.”

Much to his surprise, she did what he asked. As they walked back to his apartment, he explained how to turn the key to make the car start.

“This is going to be so much fun!” she exclaimed, bouncing excitedly and making his stomach lurch a few more times.

“Before you go, can you do me one quick favor?”

“Sure! What is it?”

“Take me to my bedroom and I’ll show you.”

At his request, she put him down on the nightstand next to his bed. Then, he pointed out the phone to her and asked her to pick up the receiver and put it face up next to the base.

She did as he requested and asked, “What is it?”

“Umm… you hear that humming noise?” he asked, referring to the dial tone. When she nodded, he answered, “It helps me sleep more soundly when I have that background noise going next to the bed where I’m sleeping”.

“Oh.”

“So anyway”, he began, before anything else could distract her. “Have fun exploring in the car. I’ll see you when you get back”.

“Just one thing before I go”, she said, and his heart sank. He just wanted her to leave so he could call for help. What torture would she come up with this time?

“I want a good night kiss!” she told him, and bent down close to the nightstand.

He swallowed in slight fear of that immense, yet angelic face, then approached to kiss her lips. Her red lips puckered into an “O” and came close to him. Suddenly, he heard a familiar wooshing sound, and he was thrown backwards on the nightstand, sliding almost to the edge before the gale force wind stopped, and he heard her familiar giggle.

He looked up to see her mischievously grinning down at him.

“That’s still lots of fun!” she exclaimed, and he cringed.

“Tala, don’t you want to go out exploring, and find new things to play with?” he asked, stepping on to the phone to hang it up. He didn’t want it to change sounds from being left off the hook too long, since that would just distract her further. Besides, the phone base gave him something to hold on to if she blew him over again, so he wouldn’t slide off the nightstand.

“Yeah, that’s gonna be fun!” she answered, then reached out to grab him yet again.

Bruce cowered and wondered what was coming, as her hand once again wrapped around his waist, and he again braced himself against her oversized thumb. She lifted him up to her face, and he barely had time to see her red lips pucker as his face was quickly pushed into her lips. After a quick kiss, she moved her arm a few feet to put him down on his bed, near the nightstand.

“See ya later. Have a good sleep”, she told him, and bounced excitedly from the room. As he rapidly jumped the small chasm from the bed to the nightstand, he heard the front door open and close. Soon, he hoped, this ordeal would be over.


Chapter 7: A Witch of a Whole Different Color

Bruce sat by the phone, waiting for the police to arrive. Or, more accurately, he sat on the phone, holding down the button, so the base of the phone would think that the receiver was resting on it. He had already found out the hard way that the sound the phone makes when it’s left off the hook too long was painfully loud to his little ears.

He heard a knock at the front door, but at 5 inches tall, sitting on his nightstand in the bedroom, he was in no position to answer it. Soon after, he heard a sound as if someone was opening the front door and coming inside.

“The door was unlocked. I’m in the apartment”, he heard a woman’s voice say. “You said I’m supposed to be looking for a 5 inch tall man? Sounds like I’d better watch my step.”

“Mr. Baxter? Mr. Baxter, are you here?” Bruce heard the woman’s voice call out, as if trying to locate him.

“I’M IN HERE!” he yelled, but he realized that his small voice might not be loud enough to carry into the other room.

“Ok, no response”, he heard her say, as if talking to someone. “This had better not be another prank.” There was a pause, and Bruce guessed that she was listening to someone on a cell phone. “Ok, I’ll go see what phones I can find.”

After another pause, he heard what sounded like high-heeled shoes clicking on a hard surface, which he assumed must be the tile on his kitchen floor. He had told the 911 operator that he’d wait by the phone, so the woman who came must have been following those instructions to try and find him.

“Mr. Baxter, I’m a federal agent responding to your 911 call, so if you’re here somewhere, please show yourself”, he heard her say. “Well, he’s not by the kitchen phone, or if he is, he’s hiding from me.” Another pause. “Yeah, I guess at 5 inches tall, I would seem pretty scary to him. I’m going to go look for more phones.”

A moment later, Bruce saw an attractive woman enter his bedroom and look around. She was in her late 20’s, with shoulder length brown hair, wearing a skirted business suit and high heel shoes. She had an earplug in her right ear, with a wire that led to her jacket pocket. Bruce recognized her immediately.

Her name was Kate McCormick, and she was a magical special agent who was famous for saving the President of the United States from a magical attack, live in front of a global television audience. That was the day that came to be known as Revelation Day, because that attack revealed to the world that magic had returned. Since then, she’d become quite a celebrity, constantly doing interviews to talk about the nature of magic, the responsible use of magic for those who gained powers, and the precautions that the government was taking to defend against magical threats. Apparently, the government had decided to keep the identities of most of their magical agents a secret so that they could do undercover work, so the one whose face was already publicly known had unintentionally earned the job of spokeswoman.

She glanced around the room quickly, her gaze stopping on the nightstand with the telephone. A slightly surprised expression appeared on her face, and Bruce knew that she’d spotted him.

“Jim? It’s not a prank. I’ll call you back in a few”, she said to the person on the other end of her cell phone, then approached the nightstand and began to address Bruce directly. “I’m Agent McCormick, from the DMA. You must be Mr. Baxter.”

“Yeah. That’s me”, he said, feeling foolish, as he stepped down off the base of the phone. “Call me Bruce.”

“Ok, Bruce”, she said bending down next to the nightstand to talk to him. “So tell me, how did you become so small?”

“Well, I uh…” he started, but was startled a loud beeping noise. He covered his ears, as the noise was almost loud enough to be painful, and he realized he’d left the phone off the hook too long again.

He was just as startled when he saw Agent McCormick’s hand quickly reach for him, and he dropped to his hands and knees in a panic, curling up face down to brace himself for another rough ride. A second later, he was surprised that she hadn’t grabbed him yet, and the sound from the phone stopped, replaced by the sound of the receiver being placed back in its base. He looked up to see her arm withdrawing above him.

“Well, that was loud and annoying”, she said, smiling at Bruce, obviously trying to put him at ease. “How’d you get the receiver face up on the nightstand like that at your size, anyway?”

“Well, the faerie who shrunk me didn’t know what it was, so…”

“Faerie?!?!” she exclaimed, jumping up and looking around, hands extended as if preparing to defend herself, either with martial arts or a magical spell, or possibly both. “Is it still around here somewhere?”

“No, she took my car to go exploring.”

“Your car?” she looked down at Bruce, incredulous. “I thought faeries were… well… your size?”

“That’s why she shrunk me. She stole my size and left me faerie-sized.”

“Oh!!! Wow! That’s some powerful magic.”

“Yeah. She kept going on and on about wanting to explore the human world. When she expressed an interest in going out in the car, I encouraged her and even taught her to use it. I figured that if I could convince her to leave me here while she left, I’d have the chance to call for help.”

“Good plan. Obviously it worked.”

“With her attention span, I doubt if she’ll remember how to get back here later. I may never see my car again, but it’ll be worth it if Tala doesn’t come back.”

“Tala? That’s the faerie’s name?” Kate asked, pulling out a small notebook and starting to write.

Bruce continued, giving Kate physical descriptions of both Tala and his car. She called her office to report the car as stolen and put out a warning about Tala, then turned her attention back to Bruce.

“I’m going to need some more background eventually, like where you met Tala and stuff like that, but for now, let’s see if I can’t break her spell and grow you back to normal size.”

Hearing her say that, Bruce felt a sudden sense of relief, like his nightmare was finally coming to an end.

Kate stood up to her full height, towering above Bruce, and looked around.

“Let’s go someplace where I’ll have more room to work. Mind if we switch to the kitchen table?” she asked.

“Uh… ok”, he responded meekly.

He had been relatively comfortable with talking to Kate from his spot on the nightstand, and he was a little bit nervous about going for another ride in someone’s hand. He was quite surprised when, instead of just reaching out to grab him, Kate put her hand down on the nightstand near him, palm up. He looked up at her and smiled.

“Well, you’re certainly more gentle than that faerie witch”, he told her, as he sat down on the palm of her hand, facing her.

She gently lifted her hand up to face level, and started walking towards the kitchen. “Oh, I’m a witch in my own special way”, she responded with a wink and a smile.


Chapter 8: As the Tables Turn

From where he stood on the kitchen table, Bruce looked up at Kate’s gigantic form. She’d already tried several spells to reverse Tala’s shrinking spell, and none of them had worked. She seemed very determined, though, and she was obviously very intelligent, so Bruce had faith that she’d figure it out eventually. She was also quite pretty, and Bruce wondered if she’d consider going out with him once this was all over.

She was too busy talking on her cell phone to care what he was thinking.

“Jim, I’ve tried every counter-spell I know. Head down to R&D for me and see what else you can find. There has to be something in one of those spell books that’ll get him back to normal size.”

She paused for a second, obviously listening to whatever Jim was saying to her through the earplug in her right ear.

“No, I didn’t try that”, she responded to Jim, clearly annoyed. “Why would I bother? That only works to undo spells if the victim had intentionally allowed the initial casting”, she paused for a second, listening. “Yeah, yeah, yeah. I’ll ask him, but this one’s a pretty obvious waste of time.”

Looking down at the 5-inch tall man standing on the table, she asked, “You didn’t willingly let her shrink you, did you?”

Bruce looked down at the table surface beneath him. “Umm… actually…” he began, embarrassed.

“Oh, you’ve gotta be kidding me!” she responded. “Why on Earth would you let her shrink you?”

“Well, she didn’t say she was going to shrink me”, Bruce responded, looking up at Kate. “She told me it was just a spell to allow us to have sex.”

Kate’s eyes widened in surprise. She shook her head slowly, rolled her eyes, and muttered “Men”.

Bruce decided not to bother asking her out once this was all over.

“Jim? That might just work. I’ll call you back if it doesn’t.”

With that, she hung up her cell phone and began muttering an incantation in some language that he didn’t know. He thought it might be Latin, but he wasn’t sure. It was all Greek to him. She was also waving her hands around and occasionally gesturing in his direction. Unlike the last few spells, which had taken several minutes each to cast, this one was over in about 10 seconds. Bruce realized this must be an easy spell for her, which she knew almost instinctively from having used it so often.

Bruce suddenly felt a very odd, yet slightly familiar sensation, and something suddenly hit him hard on the head. He felt himself falling over, and he tried to brace himself as he saw the edge of the table rushing up to meet him. He felt his momentum carry him right off the edge of the table as he hit it, and he screamed in panic, afraid of falling all the way to the floor at his tiny size. He flipped in the air and landed on his back on the floor.

Much to his surprise, nothing was broken. He felt like he might have a minor bruise from landing on the floor that way, but the worst pain was still from whatever hit him on the head. He looked up around him, and saw the figure of Kate towering above him, along with the kitchen table and chairs. Beginning to sit up, he noticed that the light that hung above the table was swinging back and forth, and he didn’t know what had hit it. Then he sat all the way up and realized what had happened: It was his head that hit the light when he’d suddenly grown back to normal size!

“You did it!” he exclaimed, suddenly jumping to his feet and looking at Kate, still sitting at the table.

“It figures”, she said, shaking her head. “An hour of incantations, and it’s the basic one that works instantly. I should have thought to ask that question from the start.”

After Bruce thanked Kate several times, she insisted that he sit down in the living room with an ice pack for his head, even though he didn’t think the bump was that bad. Once he calmed down, she went into the kitchen to call her office back and let them know it worked.

“If what the faerie told him is true, they can’t both be human size at the same time, so she should be back down to 5 inches now”, he overheard her saying, listening from the next room. “If she was still driving his car at the time, we’ll probably be able to track her down by the accident she caused when she shrunk.”

She paused for a second, listening.

“Good. Also, I want to get Bruce back to the lab to have him checked out. Besides a small bump from hitting his head when he grew back, I also want to make sure that the faerie’s magic hasn’t done any permanent harm. I doubt it after only a few hours, but it was some pretty powerful magic.”

Bruce sat on the couch and relaxed, glad that this whole thing was behind him and trusting Kate to take care of things from here. That’s when the unexpected happened.

The front door opened, and Tala flew in.


Chapter 9: Breaking Up Is Hard To Do

“Oh Bruce! It was awful!” the diminutive faerie exclaimed as she flew right up to him, stopping to hover about a foot in front of his face.

“AHH!!!” Bruce yelled with a start.

“I don’t know what broke the spell, but you’re big again, and I’m back to normal size, and there were all these breaking and crashing sounds in the car, and I was almost crushed, and I panicked, and I almost didn’t remember how to get back here, but now I’m back, so everything’s ok, and we’re safe here, right?” Tala babbled as Bruce stared at her in terror.

“GET AWAY FROM ME!!!” he yelled and bolted to the side, sliding to the other end of the couch to avoid where she was hovering, then getting up quickly and running to the other end of the room. He stopped when he reached Kate, who had heard his initial yell and entered the room from the kitchen.

“Huh?” Tala replied, watching him.

“That’s her!” he told Kate, pointing to the glowing figure floating in the middle of the living room. “That’s the faerie that shrunk me!”

“I figured as much”, Kate replied.

“Bruce, what’s wrong?” Tala asked. “Who is that woman?”

Kate began chanting and waving her arms around, obviously preparing a spell. Tala responded instantly, flying right at the larger woman, throwing faerie dust in several directions.

A flash of light flew from Kate’s outstretched hands, but Tala managed to get a shield of faerie dust up to block it in time. Before Kate could prepare another spell, the glittering dust wrapped around her wrists and yanked her backwards, pinning her hands against a wall.

“You little…” Kate began.

Tala cut her off. “No more magic for you!” With that, she threw a fistful of faerie dust at Kate’s mouth, where it stuck to her like duct tape, preventing her from speaking.

“Leave her alone!” Bruce yelled, then backed away when the faerie turned to look at him.

“Bruce, why are you acting like this?”

“Why am I acting like this?!?!? You shrunk me! You blew me over! You swung me around like a toy! You threw me in the air!”

“But Brucie, we had fun together. You think you’ll have more fun with her?” Tala gestured to Kate, still pinned to the wall.

“Fun? You call that fun??? You used me to become human size then abused me for your fun. That may be fun for you, but that’s not my idea of a good time!”

“But… I’m your girlfriend.”

“No, you’re not. I just want you to go away and leave me alone.”

Tala floated silently in the air for a moment, staring at him with a dejected expression and tears starting to form in her eyes.

“Fine”, she said quietly, then turned and flew out the door.

A moment later, the bonds that held Kate suddenly disappeared. She ran to the apartment door to check and make sure the faerie was really gone. She returned a few seconds later, with her cellular phone already in her hand.

“Jim?” she began, “I just met that faerie I told you about. She’s back down to 5 inches tall, but she’s still dangerous. That little winged bitch pinned me against a wall! If Bruce hadn’t talked her into leaving, I don’t know what would have happened.” She paused for a moment, listening to the response. “Well, update that APB to warn everyone that she should be considered magically armed and VERY dangerous. She’s even more magically powerful than I am.”

Looking at Bruce, she asked, “Did she ever mention any other faeries that might be around, or is she the only one?”

“She told me about the world that she came from, where there are lots of faeries. She said they used to visit all the time, hundreds of years ago, and now that the magic is back in our world, they could come and ‘play’ with us again.”

Kate nodded, then turned her attention back to her cell phone. “Jim, bad news. They might not be in our world yet, but there are a lot more where she came from. With faeries like her floating around, the world is about to become a much more dangerous place.”


Epilogue: Another Talk on the Beach

Tala sat in the sand listening to the waves hit the beach. She found it comforting to be out here at night again, listening to the waves in the darkness with no one else around. Upset about the events that had led her here, she sat and cried, wondering whether to return to her home or stay here and give the human world another chance.

“Tala, is that you? Why are you crying?” asked a familiar female voice, startling her.

“Huh? … I… uh” she managed, wiping her eyes and looking around for the source of the voice. It didn’t take her long to notice the small, yet brightly glowing figure of her sister Jaleesa landing in the sand near her.

“Jaleesa? What are you doing here?”

“I came to join you in exploring the human world. I know I was scared before when you said you wanted to come, but I decided that if you could do it, so could I. So…” she paused before asking again “Why were you crying?”

“Oh, Jaleesa, it was awful!” Tala exclaimed, “I thought everything was going so well at first, because I met a human man who seemed nice, and he agreed to be my boyfriend, and we had sex, and he helped me become human sized, and I sat with a chair against my back, and I got to play with my boyfriend for a while, and he even taught me to drive his car!”

“What’s a car?”

“It’s a magical four wheeled chariot that the humans use for travel. But then I was big like a human, and I was driving around in the car thinking how great the human world was, when suddenly I became normal size again! I lost control of the car, and there were all these loud crashing sounds, and the glass windows broke all around me! And then, worst of all, a giant condom jumped out of the steering wheel and almost crushed me!”

“Oh no!” exclaimed Jaleesa. She was suddenly very glad that she hadn’t been in the human world long enough to find out what a giant condom was. It sounded like a terrible monster.

“And then, just to make matters worse…” Tala continued, sniffling.

“What?” asked Jaleesa, anxious to hear what else could possibly have happened to her poor sister.

“My boyfriend dumped me for another woman!!!”

Jaleesa gasped as she envisioned poor Tala flying through a garbage dump, barely escaping from whatever horrible creatures the gigantic humans feed their garbage to.

“Come on, Tala”, Jaleesa said, grabbing her sister by the hand and pulling her to her feet and into the air. “This place is much too dangerous for us faeries. Let’s go home.”