- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

**

Quick Rant:Recently, I went against my better judgment and added a chapter to a Legend of Korra fanfic on Writing.com (link is https://www.writing.com/main/interact/item_id/1876338-Shrunk-on-The-Legend-of-Korra/)

 

For anyone who is unfamiliar with writing.com and its operating structure, the reason I say, "Against my better judgment" is because I strongly dislike contributing to stories on its site. The idea of "interactive story that anyone can add to" is one that sounds fantastic on paper...but, in practice, tends to be... a different story. My biggest pet peeve especially is when somebody adds a great chapter to the story and then somebody else adds one right after that is terrible (e.g. littered with spelling and grammatical errors, or is one of those infamous "one sentence" chapters, etc.)

Normally, I'm not one to write fanfiction; however, considering how I feel about Writing.com as well as how I feel about Korra (she's bae), I've decided to start my own little fanfic here. I've decided to start with the chapter I added Writing.com with some minor tweaks of course. 

 

***Avatar: The Legend of Korra was created by Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino and the trademark belongs to Nickelodeon Animation Studios.***

 

Mako woke up in a cold sweat. As he started to stand up, he began to notice that the place where he awoke was...strange to say the least: He could see nothing but pure abyss, not even his own hands. Yet, when he felt the ground, he started to doubt that this area was his bedroom. The ground here felt...soft like sheep wool (unlike the wooden floorboards in his apartment. Also, a peculiar, faint aroma engulfed the entire atmosphere. He took note of the smell and the humidity of the cavern as he began to advance through the mysterious cavern.

 The walls, he noticed, seemed to be made of the same fabric as the ground, and as he moved forward through the cave, it seemed as if the ceiling was...expanding. It was not the only oddity; the cave's fur-like ground began to grow larger as well; whereas it was like grass when Mako awoke, it was now roughly up to his neck...and still growing. Even the foul vinegary stench was growing stronger as he progressed.

 "Where am I?", he pondered as he continued forward. Just as he asked that, Mako tripped and tumbled down a long woolen hill. He landed in a small pond that reeked up of stale corn chips. He rose to his knees, lit an ember in his palm and inspected his new surroundings, coughing as the muggy air filled his lungs. From what he surveyed, it appeared that he had fallen into a valley of sorts. He turned around and saw, lurking above him at the peak of the hill, was a creature he had never seen before in his entire life. The beast appeared not to be moving. It was a elephantine mound bearing a hue that could only be described as white with a strong hint of yellow. The snoozing monster emitted the same scent Mako had smelled earlier; however, as he crept closer to it, the odor grew much more potent. He carefully placed his hand on the stationary beast, and felt as moist, salty perspiration leaked from its fur onto his hand. "This place looks like a crater landed here long ago, and now this area has become a swamp of some kind. Judging by its size, this monster must be its guardian or something.", he explained to himself, "I better grab the map an- "

Suddenly the entire world began to shake violently as a seemingly systemic series of tremors emitting from the steps of some unknown behemoth seemed to be approaching Mako's location. The booms propelled his entire body off the ground into the fur of the slumbering. Despite the powerful quivers of each footfall, the monster did not move, he noted. "Perhaps, it's dead.", he whispered. He attempted to crawl of the beast and get into his signature fighting stance...but he could neither keep his balance nor estimate from which the direction the behemoth was approaching. All he knew was that, judging by the sheer force of its footsteps, this monstrosity was immense, much more immense than anything he's ever faced before.

Finally, the quakes ceased...and a sudden feeling of weightlessness lifted Mako's entire world. He quickly grasped the tangles in the monster's fur and held on as a mysterious force lifted the beast up into a blinding beam of light.

***

 When the morning sunlight crept through the bamboo blinds into her apartment and hit her drowsy eyelids, Korra jumped out of her bed; she was late for training. Without a moment's thought, she threw on her matted blue sweatpants and undershirt. Her turquoise eyes scanned the room for her sheepskin boots. She spotted one lying next to Naga's bed on its side. She grabbed it and threw it onto her mattress, searching now for its sister. After hastily searching the room for it, she finally noticed the other sitting upright on her dresser. "God, I'm an idiot.", she sighed as she jogged over to the boot.

"Gotta do whatever I can to be late.", she sarcastically remarked to herself as she reached into the confides of the boots, hoping that she left her white socks inside. Surely enough, she felt the worn fabric of the tube socks and pulled them out of the boot. Right as she lifted the socks out of the boot, a subtle fragrance wafted into her nostrils. "Whew!", she remarked, turning her head away from the soiled footwear, "You guys seriously need a wash." Without a second thought, Korra pulled the dingy socks over her muscular calves and rushed over to her boots.

 Not being one for proper hygiene, Korra had worn these socks for...well...she lost count about five days ago. "Being the Avatar takes its toll on one's time.", she reasoned. This particular morning was just one of many where she found herself bolting out the door with little disregard (if any) for her appearance and hygiene. Today in particular was going to be an especially busy day: she had probending training in 30 minutes, a meeting in Ba Sing Se at 9:30, more training at noon, and finally, a picnic date in Summer Lotus Woods with Asumi. Korra had no time to lose, especially to worry about something as mundane as the condition of her socks; it was not like anyone was going to smell her feet anyway...

***

The sheer enormity of his friend/former lover sent a shiver down Mako's spine. He had faced countless foes before that had towered over him: the Dark Avatar, Kuvira's Mecha, etc....but this....

He took a deep gulp as a turquoise iris the size of the moon gazed indifferently upon his insignificance. Judging by the scale of Korra and her sock relative to him, he estimated his height to be on par with ants. "No", he thought fearfully, "she would notice an ant on her sock...I must be no bigger than a flea for her not to notice me."

He harnessed all of the power he could into his left hand, and with it, launched an meteor-sized conflagration towards Korra. "Hopefully, this will get her atten-"

For a fleeting second, as she was putting on her right sock, she saw a minuscule flash fizzle into the air. Giving him no time to think, Mako held onto the sock as it hurled through the air at an immeasurable speed. As Korra began to pull the sock over her plump toes, Mako lost his grip and tumbled down the expanse of the matted cotton. Her monolithic fingers tugged the fabric over her tan ankle and up to her calf. She wiggled her socked toes as she reached for its sheepskin sheath. Mako, meanwhile, could only hold on as tight as he could to the sweat soaked fibers surrounding the massive toes. Not being able to see the colossal Korra's face and the strong, pungent fragrance of cheesy corn chips indicated to him that he was currently located beneath Korra's toes. Mako's entire world darkened as Korra sheathed her right foot inside its warm, fuzzy home. As the sock made contact with the unkempt sheepskin sole, the fibers began to devour Mako. He felt himself sinking deeper and deeper into Korra's worn, sweaty sock until finally, all but his face and upper torso were consumed by the cotton entity.

Earlier, he had pondered whether or not this sock was a monster; now, he realized that his hypothesis was much more on-the-nose than he thought. His plight only grew worse as he was suddenly met with unfathomable amounts of cotton; Korra scrunched her socked toes within the boot. The putrid scent began to soak into his clothes as Korra's sock, like a sponge filled with water, began to unload its perspiration onto its captive prey.

Finally, Korra stood to her full height, smother Mako beneath her astronomically immense weight, in between the sweat-drenched fibers of her worn sock and the scruffy fur of her old Water Tribe slipper boot. "All set.", he heard his new goddess boom and felt the seismic tremor caused by her left foot stepping down. He then felt weightless as Korra lifted her right boot. As she took her step, her foot slammed down upon him with unimaginable fury.

 

"It's gonna a long day.", they both thought to themselves. 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Next chapter: A Day in the Life of the Avatar