- Text Size +
May 19th, 2005
A few minutes after midnight

My wife nudged me with her elbow as the first preview ended. I leaned close and she murmured, "Watch this one, Davy." I turned my full attention back on the screen, where white letters against the green background said that the following preview was unrated and the movie it was for was rated NC-17... wait, NC-17? What the...

Music filled the darkened theater, something deep and heavy on the strings. It sounded a little like the JAWS theme. I waited for the "In a world..." guy to start talking, but amazingly enough there was no sign of him this time.

The image on the screen faded in to a black-and-white cityscape, something that looked like a New York street. A sleek black sedan drove slowly along a row of parked cars; the driver couldn't be seen through the reflections of streetlights on the windshield. It crawled along and the camera angle made it clear that the driver was looking for a place to park. The music continued to build and build, becoming more and more ominous (and less and less like JAWS) as the sedan turned a corner to find both sides of the street fully occupied.

I recognized the car as a Taurus, just like mine, and noticed that the film was no longer black-and-white as it drove under a yellow streetlight. A red neon sign flickered in the window of a corner store as the Taurus turned another corner. I saw that the car was dark green, the same color as my own, and as the view-angle moved again I noticed that it had Massachusetts plates. In fact... it was my car.

As the car turned yet another corner and the music swelled, the rest of the audience started to stir. A few people guffawed; it was getting ludicrous now, slipping way over the line into parody. Three hundred ninety-eight people thought they were seeing a preview of a clever comedy. I didn't know what to think, which made three hundred ninety-nine.

I turned to the four hundredth person, the pretty woman on my left, to ask her.

Her seat was empty.

The music died away and I looked back at the screen, wondering what the HELL had been in that blue pill. The car- MY car- had stopped in the middle of the street. A door opened and Elly climbed out of the driver's seat. She crossed her arms and glared up, off the screen, with a scowl I'd seen quite often- an expression that strangers thought was real, but I knew was really her way of trying to keep a straight face when she was about to burst out laughing.

The camera turned to show what she was looking at: A single parking spot was open, beneath a sign that said NO PARKING FROM HERE FORWARD. Half the audience started to laugh; the timing was perfect for a joke.

Elly said, "I hate this city." The camera turned back to show her. She continued, "There's nowhere to park." The camera pushed in on her, quickly getting close enough that her face filled the screen. She adopted a sly look, glancing left and right, clearly looking for witnesses. "Well, just one thing to do then..." she said.

The camera drew back, looking at my wife over one row of cars. She walked away from the Taurus, looked at an SUV to her left and nodded to herself. She interlocked her fingers and stretched her arms over her head, which showed off her breasts and body in that short black dress (the SAME black dress, I saw) to their best advantage.

And then she started to grow.

On the screen, Elly rose from her usual five foot eight to six feet even, then eight feet, then ten feet... seconds later, the roof of the Taurus was even with her knees. Moments after that her ankles came into view; the camera view changed, pulling back, allowing room on the screen for her continuing expansion. Fifteen seconds after it had started, her growth was finished. She was well over fifty feet tall, standing in the street next to my car, which looked like a toy next to her sandal-clad foot. All the cars looked liked toys.

To say that I was confused is to understate things a bit. I was stunned. No, I was too surprised to be stunned. I was paralyzed by the sight of my wife's cinematic image, a giantess on the screen, smiling once again like the cat who ate the canary.

With a mischevious giggle, she bent her knees and waist, keeping her weight on her feet. Elly put one hand on the roof of the SUV and it rocked on its springs as though someone had just dumped several tons of payload into the back. She closed her fingers on the side the camera could see and one of the windows cracked; she squeezed a little and the entire upper frame of the black vehicle crumpled. Then Elly straightened up, standing again, with the ruined Escalade in her hand. It was about the size, to her, of a brick.

Elly turned, slow and graceful, the movement serving to emphasize her great height. She let her right hand, the one with the SUV in it, move back as her arm twisted, a little like a Greek statue holding a marble discus... and then she moved fast. Her arm came up, her hand spread out and the vehicle went flying over the tops of the nearest row of buildings, still rising, with a faint whistling sound. Facing slightly away from the camera, my giantess wife shaded her eyes- a gesture of pure theater, since the only light at this time of night was coming from around the level of her knees- and peered after it.

In the distance there was a faint splash. Everyone in the theater laughed a little. Elly turned back to the situation at her feet, her mouth curled in a smile of satisfaction. She used both hands to lift my Taurus- much more gently, not denting it at all- and moved it into the newly-vacated parking spot. The crowd laughed louder.

"The perfect crime," she said quietly, and her voice had a slight echo as it bounced from nearby buildings. Everyone laughed again. Except me, of course. My mouth was hanging open and I was trying to figure out when she'd borrowed my car to film this thing. It was amazing. The CGI was perfect- absolutely PERFECT. No wonder, I thought, she'd worn those clothes... she wanted to match the preview.

I was wrong, of course.

The music kicked in again as blue and red light painted Elly's neck and face in alternating flashes, then we heard the sound of a short burst from a police car's siren. She looked down and to the right, startled, and some more laughs rang in the theater. Elly bit her lower lip in exaggerated concern as a voice (clearly from a crackling speaker) said, "Ma'am, I'm sorry but I'm going to need to see some ID."

The police car pulled onto the screen next to Elly's right foot. It was slightly longer than the distance from her high heel to her exposed big toe. A uniformed policeman opened his door and stood up, still holding the speaker-microphone in his hand. He said, "Please step back and return to your normal size, ma'am."

Elly balled her hands into fists and said, again, "I hate this city." Her voice still echoed.

The policeman said, "Ma'am, I'm sorry to hear that, but I need you to shrink back down there, please, or..." he trailed off.

Elly raised one eyebrow and smirked down at the man, who was about as tall as the heel of her high-heeled sandal. "Or you'll what?"

"Please don't make this difficult, ma'am."

"Oh, this won't be difficult at all." And my wife stepped on the policeman.

Everyone in the theater, including me, drew in breath in an explosive gasp. He vanished beneath the flat front part of her sandal's sole. The THOOM of her footfall had an underlying CRUNCH like someone twisting a stalk of celery. A little red liquid shot out in several jets, as though she'd stepped on a ketchup packet.

Nobody in the audience said a word as Elly picked up the policecar, broke the whirling lights on top and smashed the headlights with her fingernail. She turned and hurled the car in the same direction she'd thrown the SUV, then watched for a few seconds. This one, too, ended with a splash.

The sound of a helicopter rose from nothing to incredibly loud, coming from the surround-sound speakers on the left of the theater, and more red and blue lights flickered from that direction. A powerful spotlight clicked on, illuminating Elly's head and shoulders from above. This policeman was not being polite.

"STAY RIGHT WHERE YOU ARE," he screamed through his megaphone, "OR WE WILL OPEN FIRE. SPREAD YOUR LEGS AND PLACE YOUR HANDS ON THE ROOF OF THE NEAREST BUILDING. YOU ARE UNDER ARREST."

The view on the movie screen changed, showing the scene from much farther away. The helicopter was hovering twice as high as Elly could reach, far above the buildings, and she was wincing at the loud angry words. She raised her hands in a "don't shoot!" pose...

...and then she grew, much faster this time, almost instantly reaching a height of hundreds of feet. The helicopter was now at knee level for her; she swatted it from the sky and it crashed into the row of parked cars. The helicopter exploded; the cars exploded; Elly was lit from below by the hellish red flames.

She half-knelt, now too large for the street, and her well-rounded ass knocked the top four floors off one row of buildings. Her right knee punched through several more, and then she rose again. Pinched between her finger and thumb, still on fire, was the dark green Taurus. My dark green Taurus. It seemed to be two inches long in her grasp.

She blew out the flames with a puff from her pursed red lips, but the car was missing two wheels and was completely wrecked. Twisting her wrist, she let the tiny sedan dangle from her fingers, then opened them and let it fall. It smashed somewhere out of sight and a car alarm sounded. Looking in that direction, at her feet (out of sight behind the ruined, now-burning buildings), she moved and stepped on something; the alarm stopped.

Elly turned to face the camera, and I noticed two things:

First, the flames didn't seem to be bothering her at all. Her dress wasn't catching and her fingers weren't even smudged from the smoke of the burning car.

Second, this preview had been going on for almost ten minutes.

I wondered again about the pills as my wife's image on the screen said, "Okay, now I'm REALLY mad..."