- Text Size +

Family and Friends

Climbing the stairs to the upper floor, the area opening up into a large living room. Nice rich plush furniture, antique looking tables. Moving toward where he though the kitchen. “Hello?” he said, calling out.

“In here,” Nick heard his dad say from up ahead just around the corner. Following the voice, he found his way to the expansive kitchen with expensive looking cabinetry, granite countertops and stainless steel appliances. There was a small table situated in a nook surrounded by windows overlooking a big backyard.

As he approached, he could see a generous kidney shaped swimming pool inset into the ground surrounded by a concrete deck, the rest of the verdant yard was a manicured lawn, all shielded by neatly trimmed hedges.

Seated at the table were his father, Calista, and her daughter. Two cardboard boxes with the words Pizza Baron written on them on the table and a half dozen red and white cans of Coke.

“This is my daughter Asha,” Calista introduced, extending a hand toward the beautiful girl. The girl was now dressed in a very snug white sleeveless tank top and bright red shorts, looking breathtaking.

Nick slipped his hands into his pants pockets and ducked his head in the semblance of a nod.

“It’s okay, we met already, downstairs,” the girl said, leaning forward on the table and smiling. “He was coming out of the shower and I had to pee.”

Marty looked from the girl to Nick and back.

Nick nodded, eyes downcast.

“Oh? Well then,” Marty said, nodding, looking from the girl to his son and back. “Pull up a chair,” he invited. “Pizza is there, soda is there,” he added pointing. “Help yourself.”

There were four chairs at the small square table in the kitchen, so he pulled out the only unoccupied one which was on the side opposite his father between Calista and her daughter. Moving his plate closer to the pizza box, he pulled out a couple of slices of what appeared to be pepperoni and dropped them on his plate before pulling it back in front of him.

He couldn’t help but notice that while he was doing that, Asha watched him, a fingertip at the edge of her lower lip as she observed, almost like she was studying him.

“This is meat right? Not some weird vegan substitute or something?” Nick asked, looking at Calista.

She smiled and nodded, “Of course.”

Picking up a slice, he quickly wolfed it down. He hadn’t realized how hungry he had been. Grabbing a can of Coke, he cracked it and took a long sip.

Asha leaned back in her chair, the finger that had been at her mouth now traced the front of her throat as she continued to look at Nick.

“Good?” Marty asked around a mouthful of his own piece, looking at Mick.

Nodding, “Yeah, no it’s pretty tasty,” Nick said, lifting up the second slice and taking a bite. It was actually very good.

“That’s good,” Calista said. “There’s one other I would like to discuss, and I know this may not be right venue, but now that’s there is another man living in the house, I think we should discuss the toilet seat rule,” she brought up.

“Right,” Marty said, nodding, turning to Nick. “If you could remember to make sure the seat is down after you’ve gone pee, that would be great,” he added.

For real? Still chewing, Nick looked at Marty, then Calista, “Sure, whatever,” he replied, turning to look at Asha. Meeting his gaze, she peeled a small circle of pepperoni free from its cheesy prison, placing it on her tongue before closing her eyes and smiling as she retracted her tongue, closed her mouth, and swallowed it down. 

“Is it okay if I go out, you know, take a walk and get some air?” Nick asked, cramming the remainder of his second slice into his mouth.

“Walk?” asked Marty, looking at Calista.

“You know, get the lay of the land,” he replied, munching somewhat noisily.

“Sure, just be careful not to get lost out in the urban wilderness,” Marty answered with a chuckle.

Picking up the Coke, Nick washed down his food, letting out a small belch as he set the can on the table, “Excuse me,” he murmured, shaking his head.

“You may be excused,” Calista replied, leaning forward and put her hands together, elbows on the table.

Sliding the chair out, Nick got up, snatching a napkin off the table and wiping his mouth.

“Can you take your plate into the kitchen please?” Marty asked, looking at his son.

“Sure,” Nick said, grabbing the ceramic dinnerware by the edge and carrying it into the kitchen. Moving down the stairs to the landing near the front door, he leaned a hand against the wall and slipped his runners on without bothering to undo the laces.

Getting up, he took the doorknob in his hand, peering back up the stairs as he opened the front door, jumping backward almost a foot when he found a strange girl standing right there.

Similarly startled, she too jumped back, hand up as if she were about to knock. Dressed in a simple but snug light green T-shirt and a pair of black short shorts, she was probably the same height as Asha, maybe a little shorter. As Asha was dark, this girl was light, fine platinum blonde hair rolled up into a ball on top of her head and like Asha, she was positively lovely. Amazing penetrating blue eyes, opened wide with sudden fright. “Looking for Asha?”

He nodded, choking on some of his own saliva.

Putting a hand to her substantial chest, “You surprised me,” she accused, gorgeous smile on her angelic face.

Bringing a hand to his face, he coughed.

“TJ!” came Asha’s voice from behind him.

The blonde girl looked passed him and up, still smiling.

Turning his head, Nick saw the dark haired girl at the top of the stairs looking down. Stepping aside, he let the other girl pass, then slipped out the door before any introductions could be made.

Descending the steps, he walked down the driveway, still coughing. The blonde girl Asha called TJ was like the dark haired girl, appearance transcendent of pretty.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please let me know what you thought, good or bad, share some feedback. It is always helpful to understand how the story is being received in order to refine it. Thanks