- Text Size +
"There's no purpose living only for pain..." Laurel thought to herself, as she lifted the heavy, cold metal gun to the side of her head. Her finger resting on the trigger. "Laurel! What are you doing!?" She heard a familiar voice. She turned in her car seat to see whom it was, the gun still pointed at the side of her head. "Brian..." Laurel said, while tears were streaming down her face. The shame immediately took over her body. "Please don't look at me! Not like this!" She closed her eyes and pulled the trigger as hard as she could. The trigger wouldn't budge, the safety was on.

Brian immediately grabbed the gun from her hand and pulled it towards himself, she held on to it with both hands trying to pull it back. "Don't interfere!" She screamed while pulling the gun as hard as she could back toward herself. A blue aura surrounded brian’s body, she was about to shrink him so that she could kill herself. But before she had time to even shrink him an inch, she felt a large pressure in her stomach which broke her concentration and made her gasp for breath. Brian had punched her in the stomach. He pulled the gun away from her hands and she fell out of the car and on the concrete. She held her stomach with both hands while curled up into a ball. She tried desperately to breathe and continued to cry on the ground.

He quickly knelt down beside her. "Laurel, i'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you!" He apologized with his hand on her shoulder, trying to make her feel better. He placed his arm under her legs and other arm under her back. He picked her up and went around the car to the passenger seat. He opened the door and placed her inside "we'll talk about this Laurel, i'm here for you" he said while kissing her on the cheek and closing the door. He went around to the driver's side and got in the car, throwing the gun in the back so she couldn't get to it. He turned the key to the ignition and proceeded to drive.

The pain was starting to fade in her body and she looked to see him driving. Laurel couldn't think of what to say. The feelings of faithlessness had taken over her body and nearly forced her to take her own life. She was regaining her true self and feeling the guilt of doing something so weak. She held her head down while sitting, her hair covering her eyes. The car eventually stopped and the key was taken out. "Why did you save me?" Laurel asked.

"Follow me" Brian said, while opening the door and leaving the car. Laurel stepped out and began to walk towards him. She looked around while walking to see that it was very dark and no one was around. Off in the distance, she saw strange shapes of metal. "It's a park" Laurel said out loud, as she continued to walk towards him. He stopped at the swings in the darkness and looked at her as she stopped in front of him, her hand still clinging to the pain in her stomach. They looked eye-to-eye and Laurel pulled away from his gaze in the darkness, how could she face him now? He turned her around and sat in the swing, pulling her to sit on his lap. He started to swing slowly while holding her on his lap with his hands.

Laurel felt a flood of memories run pass her mind. This felt like it had happened before. "Do you remember yet?" Brian asked her, as the pace of the swing continued. Laurel couldn't tell where she had known this. "Laurel, this is where we first met" Brian said with care, while hugging her tighter to himself. "I remember now..." Laurel said and closed her eyes, as a flashback occurred in her mind...

A boy and girl playing in a sandbox. Adults and other children walking around as they continued to build castles in the sand. They eventually stand to go swing. But all of the swings are taken, except for one. The boy moves over to the swing with her and gets on, pulling her on his lap. The boy and girl swing together while laughing. The memory fades and Laurel opens her eyes, surprised to remember that the boy was him!

"That day you helped me when I had fallen, I felt like I had recognized you from somewhere. I just couldn't remember. But you were that little girl when we were kids and played in this park together, right Laurel?" Brian asked. "Yes Brian...I’m sorry I didn't keep our promise..." Laurel said while holding her head down. "You promised we'd meet again tomorrow and play together. But you never showed up. What were you doing in this country so long ago and why didn't you come back the next day?" Brian asked, while caressing her hair.

"Why didn't you come back the next day?" The question rang through Laurel's mind. She held out her hands and stared at them in the darkness. A flash of lightening struck and her hands looked like a little girl's and they were covered, dripping in blood. Echoes of screams were coursing through her head. Laurel immediately grabbed her head and screamed, as the memories of the past were reviving. "Laurel! What happened back then?" Brian asked while stopping the swing. Seeing Laurel holding her mind tightly, screaming, and crying as a result of the memories she tried so hard to forget, which were now resurfacing.