- Text Size +

Tornerik was busy cutting the fish up for supper. He was regarded as the best fisher in all of the West Winds and the fishing business he ran earned him lots of gold and even a friendship with the village chief of West March which made him and his family well respected in the large village. 

 

Tornerik looked up at the setting sun and asked himself,"Where is Erik?". Tornerik knew that Erik, though being his youngest son, was the most eager to equal and even surpass his father's title as "Best fisherman of West Wind". Erik would be the last to head the family business but that never stopped his son from always fishing in the early rays of the day to even the darkest of nights. Tornerik admired his son's ambition but he felt that Erik's ambition was just too ambitious. Walking around the forests was dangerous at night because of the wild animals and bandits and thieves wondering about but Erik usually did his fishing in these forests because that's where the most tropical fish of are and once when Erik was in pursuit of a Blue Hake, he had ran into a couple of bandits and had fought them off but returned home with thousands of cuts and lacerations.

 

Tornerik, gazing at the dying embers of the sun, decided to go search for his son so he grabbed a spear and a knife and told his family he was going to go search for Erik. Tornerik was a well built man even for his age of 52 years old. Standing at 6'3 he was also intimidating but everyone knew that he was one of the most kind hearted men in the village. His family in general were all kind hearted and supplied fish for even the poorest of men wondering about the village. As he was approaching the east border wall of West March, he saw the chief's soldiers lighting the fires on the walls. One of the soldiers approached him and asked where he was going. Tornerik told him and the guard advised him to be careful especially in the woods. Tornerik thanked him and proceeded on with his journey to Temes, the village closest to river where the Salmon King was rumoured to be.

 

A few hundred meters from West March, Tornerik continued on his journey when he stopped, crouched down and held his hand against the ground. He could feel vibrations in the ground and tried listening now. He could something in the distance. It sounded like earth breaking away and sounded constant too… almost as if the sounds were like any normal Joe walking across gravel. Then he heard the undeniable sound of trees cracking as if they were subject to an unbearable load of weight. Tornerik climbed the tree nearest to him and when he got to the summit, he almost fainted at what he saw. It was the silhouette of a giant, a giant amongst giants. It was at the very end of the forrest but he knew it would eventually arrive at West March in no time. He turned back to the village and saw the soldiers running through the village and the villagers closing themselves in their homes. He looked back at the giant and it was much closer now. Because it was much closer, he could make out the figure of the giant as a woman. He decided to climb down the tree and return to the village with haste. 

 

When he got back to walls of the village, he asked the guard from earlier what was going on. The guard told him that they would try to talk to the giant. Tornerik asked the guard if there was anything he could do to help and the guard told him that he could help in getting the giant's attention. As the giant drew nearer, Tornerik was given a bow and arrows. He was concerned at first and asked why he needed these. The guard replied and said that a being of that size would surely not be harmed by an arrow. Tornerik saw the other guards with bows and finally realised that they had no intention of establishing communication. When the guard turned around, Tornerik ran off in towards the centre of the village.

 

Tornerik, and the rest of the village, could undoubtedly feel the tremors running through the earth. Tornerik hid behind a water mill and turned back to the face the guards. He saw them shoot off arrows into the giant and saw the arrows deflect harmlessly off the giant. Now that the giant was close to the village, the lit fires illuminated her figure and Tornerik was breathless when he saw her immense beauty. She stopped just in front of the guards. Everything was still, the sounds of the nearby shouts of the villagers, the animals in their pens even the insects and the wind seemed to come to a silent suspense. Tornerik could swear that he could even hear the crashing waves of the nearby sea come to a halt. For that moment in time, no one did anything then the giantess crouched down low to the guards. Tornerik finally saw the that the giant's eyes were black, almost as if there was no person in her body. At that moment Tornerik knew that everyone was in danger.

 

The giantess picked her hand up and held for 10 seconds, then almost as quick as a diving falcon, slammed it on the guards in front of her. The whole entire village broke out in chaos. Tornerik watched as the giantess picked her hand up and saw blood dripping from it and even some lucky guards who had survive her initial attack fall from her hand to their deaths. Everything that was close to the giantess was obliterated. Tornerik knew that nothing could be done to stop her so he ran back to his home to try and escape with his family.

__________________________________________________________________

 

The village chief, Bogdan, saw the unveiling wrath of the giantess from his home perched up on the hill. Aged at 65 years old, Bogdan thought that there was nothing new left to surprise him in life until he saw her. The goddess of death at his front step. Bogdan told his servants to go and retrieve the horses from the stables so that he and his wife and daughter could escape. He knew the servants would no longer be returning with his horses so he got a few guards to take his family somewhere safe and told them he would be with them soon. Bogdan saw the giantess stomp out the village he had fought so hard to fortify from his father's previous reign. He saw a family of villagers hugging each other outside of their home then saw a boot in their place as well as their house and twenty other houses that had previously surrounded them. When she picked up her boot he saw broken wood and stone stuck to her sole and saw the blood and gore now formed as a part of her soles.    

He looked at her continuously crushing out the lives of his subjects and his kingdom and he began to cry to himself. He had terribly wished that he could do something to stop this force of nature and protect his people but knew there was no hope left to save his people. He looked up, his vision was slightly watery from his tears neigh his people's tears. He saw her face down on him and he got down on his knees and began silently thanking the gods for all he has received and prayed for his people to be guided safely to the afterlife. He looked up at her descending sole and saw arms and legs hanging from her sole, the faces of some his people stuck to her shoe, blood dripping, the remains of homes falling to the ground and then nothing. He saw nothing, felt nothing and heard nothing.

__________________________________________________________________

 

Tornerik watched from his home as his chief's home was crushed under her shoe."Farewell my friend.", he said as he closed his eyes and looked down.

 

He turned back and caught up with his fleeing family. His wife saw a tear drop roll down his cheek and looked back at where the giantess stood and realised why her husband had strayed off from them. She hugged him tightly and he hugged her back."Alright, we are nearing the southern wall. We have to climb over quickly."

 

As his eldest son climbed to the top and held out his hand for his mother to grab a hold of, Tornerik noticed that he hadn't heard or felt the powerful steps of the giantess for a while now. He turned back and clenched his fist. "WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS?!", he shouted out to the giant. "HAVE WE DONE SOMETHING TO HAVE YOUR WRATH BROUGHT DOWN UPON US?". 

All she did was pick her foot up and hovered it over the family, the last living people of West March.

 

Tornerik prayed for Erik's safety to the gods and prayed for his life to be blessed as well as he accepted his final moments on Earth with his family.

__________________________________________________________________ 

Erik woke up with a massive headache. He tried to move his legs but felt…nothing. He could not feel his legs. He opened eyes his eyes and looked around and saw nothing but a graveyard left of the forest. He looked down at his legs and saw a large piece of bark had impaled itself deep into Erik's right leg. He knew he was paralysed because he could not feel the pain. He tried shouting and shouting for someone but no response came. There was the sound of thunder far off in the distance but Erik dismissed it. Erik's eyes began to falter again and saw the massive amount of blood gushing out of his leg. He looked at his body and saw that he was covered in branches and leaves. The cool night air brushed his against his face. "I'm sorry I couldn't prove my self to you father. Please forgive me for my failure.", Erik said through laboured breaths and a dry voice. His eyes closed fully.

 

Erik woke up and saw he was in a house. He was covered in a blanket and new clothes. There was a fire lit in the fireplace opposite from him. He looked at the end table next to him. There was a fresh cup of tea and hot soup next to it. "Hello?", he called out. No one responded. He tried to sit up and felt he couldn't move his legs then he remembered what he saw. He removed the blanket and rolled up the pants he was wearing. He saw a bandage where the wood piece had pierced him and lay back down. Then he remembered his encounter with the two giantesses and he remembered gazing into the tall giantess's eyes and remembered feeling something leaving his body and then she looked away and he felt normal again. He remembered her eyes going black and her enormous foot rising into the air and then he remembered jumping into the trench when she had stomped her foot down hard. He realised he was panting hard and was clutching the bed sheet he wore tightly. He heard the door open and close and saw a man walk in. The man was bald and his face was cleaned shaved. He had brown eyes and he was smiling. The man wore a brown robe and sandals. He looked about the same age as his father too. "Are you all right?", he asked.

 

"Who are you?", Erik said defensively while still breathing hard.

 

"I'm Phin. Please don't be scared, I'm here to help. I was the one who carried you of that forest or rather what remains of that forest. I made you some mince soup and a hot cup of Jasmine tea."

 

"Where am I?"

 

"You're in the Beau Lands."

 

Erik started to calm down as he looked at Phin's eyes and felt safe. Erik had learnt over his life from his father that a person's eyes can tell a lot about them. But there was something nagging at him about Phin.

 

"Wait the Beau Lands? Have you been to West March recently?" 

 

"Yes…"

 

"What is it?"

 

"Well…no nothing at all"

 

"No. Tell me what you saw?", Erik demanded.

 

"I saw nothing."

 

"You saw two giants didn't you?"

 

"No nothing of the sort. I mean I saw nothing left of West March. Everything was destroyed and there was no sign of life left there."

 

Erik sat there motionless with his heart held in his mouth."Tell me you're lying!"

 

"I am sorry but I'm not lying."

 

Erik sat faced down and began crying.

 

Phin proceeded to sit down next to him on a chair and put a consoling hand on Erik's shoulder.

 

"I'm sorry Erik but its gone."

 

For the rest of the night Erik sat silently to himself. As he fell asleep Erik remembered that he had never told Phin his name!

Chapter End Notes:

Another chapter done. This chapter and the next are all actually just one chapter spread over three parts but I forgot to label chapter 2 as Chapter 2 part 1, said Dragonling feeling like a moron.